Special Request Race: Kanthrop

Moderator: Mods

Tygress
Retired Game Designer

Special Request Race: Kanthrop

Post by Tygress »

Yes folks, that's right, those darn special request races are actually getting closer and closer to getting done. We may not get them out all at once, but we WILL be releasing at least two of them by the end of June.

In that vein, since the Kanthrop are the closest to completion, we're going to open the floor to your questions about the Special Request Races in general and the Kanthrop in particular.

The floor is yours.. Ask away. :)
[url=http://tygress.livejournal.com/]Tygress[/url]||[color=green][i]Tygress Who?![/i][/color]
Frizban Stye

Post by Frizban Stye »

Please tell me they can't copy someone exactly. I hate identity stealers.
Tygress
Retired Game Designer

Post by Tygress »

*chuckles* Kanthrop are more like were-wolves then all out shape shifters.

They can shift into only one other form and it is an animal form. Different Kanthrop have different animal forms. :) So no, they have their own distinct identities :)
[url=http://tygress.livejournal.com/]Tygress[/url]||[color=green][i]Tygress Who?![/i][/color]
Frizban Stye

Post by Frizban Stye »

O.K. so They're basically Were-wolves, Were-cats, were-birds, and were dolphins. Now do they have two forms (man/animal) or three forms (man/were-/ animal). I read the letter, but I'm trying to get some solid Ideas for myself on what they look like.
Tygress
Retired Game Designer

Post by Tygress »

Well the actual culture and such is so far afield of your standard "were-anything" that calling them werewolves is pretty simplified, but for the sake of a mental image, it will do. :)

They have only two forms. So they either look like the animal they turn into, or they lookhuman, with animal like eyes. :)
Frizban Stye

Post by Frizban Stye »

Thankyou, I was just trying to get a physical description. I will enjoy seeing the results of the special request races cultures.
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

So, they're more hengeyokai than werecreatures.

Post by Guest »

No, they're Kanthrop. None of the mystical stuff that usually gets lumped in with things like Hengeyokai (White Wolf are to thank for that one.....)

I'd stay clear of anything like Hengyokai or Were-critter, call them Skin-changers. Since that is the closest mythical critter that they come to.
Tygress
Retired Game Designer

Post by Tygress »

Gah, no they aren't Hengeyokai either. Most Hengeyokai have 3 or more forms, including an anthromorphic one. (Realizes her Hengeyokai is not on her RPG book shelf and hmmms)

We specifically did NOT include an anthromorphic form to avoid comparisons with the White Wolf creations :)

True, I can point out similairties if I really wanted too, but then, the whole concept of werewolves is hardly the sole intellectual property of White Wolf anyways. :)

I could call them skin-changers, but thats a native myth, and I'd rather just stick to plain old Kanthrop. They warp into their two limited forms (that's what they call it, warping :) ) and that's about it :)
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

White wolf? I swear, I never read anything from white wolf. But yes, most of OA hengeyokai have anthropomorfic form. What i meant is that they don't have special resistances, and that both forms are natural to them, and that they control when they change.

Post by Guest »

Ah, then no. Definatly not - they are born in humanoid form and have to learn how to change forms. Takes them a long time and is pretty painful when they first learn, get's quicker and less painful as they get better at it.

EDIT:-There you go Tyg
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tygress
Retired Game Designer

Post by Tygress »

They have a human-like appearance, but they are *not* born human. :) They're born Kanthrop. :)

Admittedly, their first shift doesn't occur usually until puberty or so, but they are never actually human beings :)
Constad Madoc

Post by Constad Madoc »

So if we were to choose this race, and have admittance to do so, could these Kanthrop change into any animal? I know they cna have only one animal form, but I mena if we wanted , could we make htem turn into kangaroos?

Post by Guest »

Nope. A choice of wolf, bird of prey, dolphin or big cat. No kangaroos, dragons, chipmunks or puffer-fish. No plants either.
Constad Madoc

Post by Constad Madoc »

ok, thanks. That clears it up for me. Can't wait until I can try and request one of these characters.
Rubin Darius

Post by Rubin Darius »

I'm also looking forward to requesting a Kanthrop now that my original character (Lartinol Redflower) has been archived. I'm assuming that it means I can have another character (Rubin Darius is my second, but now I guess he can be considered my first), so I guess I'll get planning out some basics in anticipation of the release of the Kanthrops.
Tygress
Retired Game Designer

Post by Tygress »

The basic requirements for a SPecial Request Race are as follows (ALthough they're subject to change, we're still hammering this bit out!):

-Mininum of 6 months playing time in Tazlure

-Must fill 2nd character slot. That means if you already have a 2nd PC you must give one up to get a SRR.

-No skills from a given up PC will transfer to your SRR. They start at basic, with the exception of the special skill packages many of them have. :)

Return to “OOC Archives”