Ventures

Moderator: Mods

Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Dad beamed. Mac nodded. Dragon gave a grunt of no discernable meaning, the four strangely-named siblings cocked half an ear and Ollie listened with a look which on any other face would indicated overwhelming awe, but was simply how Ollie looked whenever he was wrapt in other peoples' words. Strudels maintained an incredible inability to display any sort of emotion on that big, bald, meaty head.

Dad spread his arms and said jovially, "Well enough spoken, able to tell the truth where it counts but I get the feeling, however, you'd not lose any sleep if you lied where it suited you. But pray tell," he continued in his perpetually amused tone, "what kind of research have you done where you run off with a stolen purse and turn it in not to its' owner, nor keep for your own good, but back to the original thieves? I wonder what you are trying to learn from this? You could have gotten a fair start with that loot if you had wanted to - there's a lot of expenses in the world of money making, you see. Contacts to build up, goods to buy, a place of business, the care of the city watch - or, perhaps, the diversion of their most pesky eyes."

A woman Elsor thought she remembered being identified as B interjected darkly.

"They ain't all so courteous, Dad. That bastard Harbuck for one seems to get less of an annoyance and more of a danger by the day. I almost got nabbed but three days ago."

Another of the four siblings, the second woman of two females and two males, nodded in affirmation. "Tis true. I did. Same thing happened to U just five more before that, too."

The apparent humour in naming the four thieves so became quickly apparent to Elsor. Dad was certainly used to the potential for confusion by now, for he simply faced the man introduced as U with a rare frown.
"Aye, he's much, much trickier than he looks. And it's a rare day that you get a look at him when he doesn't want you to. Anyhow," he finished, returning to Elsor. "Where were we? Ah, yes... it's expensive starting a business 'round here, much more profitable to work your way up through an existing one. So what have you been up to, if you don't mind me asking? Your actions are, to be frank, a little confusing to me. Not that we are unappreciative."
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

"what kind of research have you done where you run off with a stolen purse and turn it in not to its' owner, nor keep for your own good, but back to the original thieves? I wonder what you are trying to learn from this? You could have gotten a fair start with that loot if you had wanted to - there's a lot of expenses in the world of money making, you see. Contacts to build up, goods to buy, a place of business, the care of the city watch - or, perhaps, the diversion of their most pesky eyes."

Elsor began to think on exactly why she had done such a silly act. She shrugged.
"First of all, I figured you must have a legitimate reason to steal. I don't know of any people who steal for fun, perhaps habit, but not fun. Secondly, I know how it is to live on the upper side and I've found that if you just have good connections everything can come crashing down when you lose those connections. If you make friends, the foundation for your reputation is more or less secure should you come into a spot of trouble. I figured I need friends and, if not for the security, for the company instead of walking around on my own."
Unfortunately for Elsor, she had left all of her childhood friends back at Rock D'Ancourt and was in dire need of company mainly because of the fact that even though she was in a male disguise, girls are naturally in need of someone to be social to.

The achadhiel hoped she didn't sound too businesslike and that she was 'using' the group for their company. She genuinely liked Ollie, even if it was because his facial expressions were amusing at the best of times. She had a feeling she would be able to make friends at least with him if nobody else and woud always know where he was if the group didn't like her.
Last edited by Elsor on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to allavatars.com for my avatar!
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Elsor wrote:"First of all, I figured you must have a legitimate reason to steal. I don't know of any people who steal for fun, perhaps habit, but not fun.

Surprisingly, Dad's eyes narrowed. For a moment it looked to Elsor that she had somehow insulted him gravely, Dad probably thinking she meant that these thieves had no ability to do otherwise than live a life of crime, do some 'real' work. Yet anger was not in his tone when he replied.

"Half right, half wrong. Perhaps you don't understand entirely why we all came to crime, so I'll tell you how things happened here.
See, I myself used to have a nice little shop. I was a gem-cutter, you see, did alright buying up precious stones, working them and selling them on to jewelers. Then I got robbed, most of what I had in the store was taken away. So like the idiot I was and, still likely am, I went to the watch. First of all they wouldn't listen to me, couldn't find anyone who cared enough but when I mentioned my occupation I got the attention of two of the guard. I was just relieved to have finally gotten a chance at some recompensation, hopefully some justice as well, but after I showed the watchmen into my store everything the thieves had left behind walked out with those two.
"I had enough saved up to start another business, and I did so. A week later I was robbed again by the same pack of thieves. I wasn't too happy about it, left one of them without an ear and they kindly gave me this."
Dad stood and opened the front of his shirt. A small, angry purple scar stood out on his belly. It was about the width and length of a large dagger.
"After the weeks of recovery I was broke, couldn't afford even half a crust of stale bread, 'less it was also mouldy," he continued, buttoning his shirt back up. "But then an angel came to me. One of my customers knew of my situation and she had... a business. Said she could do with a man of my abilities, having known them full well from us haggling over prices. Since then I've helped with the business. We can buy off the watch, and we have friends to help guard against other thieves. In short, it's a rare person who can avoid the greed of both the underworld and the watch without getting involved in something illegal, even rarer still to be able to make a profit while doing so.
"But you are wrong about one thing. If we have to steal, why not have fun doing it?"
And his winning smile split his face in half once again.

Secondly, I know how it is to live on the upper side and I've found that if you just have good connections everything can come crashing down when you lose those connections. If you make friends, the foundation for your reputation is more or less secure should you come into a spot of trouble. I figured I need friends and, if not for the security, for the company instead of walking around on my own."

Elsor did not, in fact, offend. She was actually one of the most sincere people that the gang had encountered, which registered a little mixedly among them. So she didn't have the grit, the tarnishing of the soul that was required for a life of crime, they thought. The underworld was not a place for those as did not fit in it. Yet... maybe, if she willed, she could bend into the right shape, and had already given one good turn to the gang.
Dad gave another unreadable look to Mac, and she nodded again. He turned back to Elsor and spoke.

"We judge friends on what they do and what they mean, not whatever hollow promises they may give. You've helped us, and Ollie in particular - useless as he is - and does not one good turn deserve another? I'm not sure how well you understand that such connections are just as important in our world, Elsor. But you do understand the concept. So, I'll offer you our friendship. Accept it, and we can help in all sorts of ways - by the hells, I think we may have a good use for you. Decline, and you're free to leave by that gate or just stay and chat a while longer. You'll be free to talk to us upon the street but be aware of the danger that may come about. We have enemies like everyone else, and our acquaintances are likewise their enemies. I ask before I give you our friendship because of the danger it represents - but be assured that it is no less dangerous than working by yourself.
"So, Elsor. Will you accept our friendship? Or shall we merely remain on good terms?"
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor nodded at Da's reply. it seemed legitemate, but once he had stolen enough money, wouldn't he set up store again? Or simply move to a different place and start over? It didn't make sense. Sure, the man was stupid enough to be robbed twice by the same gang but it wasn't any reason to give up on one's life, one's dream, was it?

She didn't tell the man this, but felt slightly ashamed when he showed the cut. What was more, she was confused. Everything was so simple, why did he make them seem so complicated? Sure, the point of being in a 'low' position was to try and make your way back up again. Her idea when she first saw Ollie was to try and help him, to let him help her with her pearl-selling and give him some of the profit if she could spare it and help set him up for a better life, one that didn't involve stealing or running from the Watch.

"We judge friends on what they do and what they mean, not whatever hollow promises they may give. You've helped us, and Ollie in particular - useless as he is -

The achadhiel felt a twinge of annoyance. Was this how he was treated all the time? Elsor was aware that not everybody was treated the same in all walks of life, but guessing by Ollies' age and the seemingly offhand way Da said it, the poor boy was used to it and it happened all the time.

and does not one good turn deserve another? I'm not sure how well you understand that such connections are just as important in our world, Elsor. But you do understand the concept. So, I'll offer you our friendship. Accept it, and we can help in all sorts of ways - by the hells, I think we may have a good use for you. Decline, and you're free to leave by that gate or just stay and chat a while longer. You'll be free to talk to us upon the street but be aware of the danger that may come about. We have enemies like everyone else, and our acquaintances are likewise their enemies. I ask before I give you our friendship because of the danger it represents - but be assured that it is no less dangerous than working by yourself.
"So, Elsor. Will you accept our friendship? Or shall we merely remain on good terms?"

Good terms seemed like a good idea, friendship even better. However, she wasn't sure how she should reply. She wondered if he wanted her reply right this second.

"I know that I'm probably disrupting everything by coming here, so I'll leave you with how everything is at the moment. I do apologise for 'stalking' Ollie before.." She waggled her fingers near her ears when she said 'stalking'.
"But I'm glad I've had the opportunity to meet him. Any time you want anything or any news from the watch and so on, I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, I have to locate some....oddities."
She thought of the pearls found in the Mer De La Luna sitting in a box in her bag and planned to go swimming that night to look for other things she could market the next morning. Elsor stood.
"I thank you humbly for your time today and I hope I have the opportunity to meet again." She inclined her head slightly.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Dad fought back the frown his thoughts incurred.
Wait, so she wants to keep helping us, but not have us return the favour? That's just... stupid. If she were a spy she'd leap at the chance to join our little circle, so why's she taking all the drawbacks of having our affinity but not taking any of the assets? I don't even know if the whole thing smells off or not. Mac's got a much better head at this sort of thing than I.
I think we should keep an eye on her.

To Elsor, the man but nodded.
"The offer stands, but you're right. It may need some thinking over first. And if you ever need a hand and think we're the people to lend the right one, well... keep your eyes open and you just might see us around."

Elsor was free to leave. Ollie looked like he was going to stay and talk to her for a bit but Dad called out again.

"C'mon, boys and girls. Got a bit of work to do afore dusk sets in. Hop to it!"

Ollie shot him an annoyed glance and gave some abrupt words of farewell to Elsor.

"Cheers fer saving me neck again. The way out back to the main street is pretty simple - head right from the gate, second left, right again where the alley ends then first left. That'll bring you to a lesser street and it has any number of alleyways leading into the main one. I'll see ya 'round, a'right?"

With that he followed the rest of the gang into the old warehouse. They were gone, and the gate beckoned.

[hr][/hr]
OOC: Feel free to start up another thread, but there's a bit of unfinished business here before Elsor gets back to the main street so keep in mind it may affect future situations considerably. You could go to the Outer Ring and affiliate yourself with other pearl divers, perhaps starting at the harbour, or find someone to sell your current pearls to (which the 'unfinished business' I referred to previously may deal with).
With future threads, please include the date and time in the title (ie: the date for this has been Chyril 25th, and the time is Morningtide, or MT for short).
Last edited by Craghley on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

((Ooc: umm...Could you PM me about that 'unfinished business'? I don't get it. Thanks for the time reference.))

Elsor saw the look Ollie gave Dad and grinned. So he wanted to talk to her, at least. The thought was comforting. She walked out of the gate and proceeded to follow Ollie's instructions.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: Don't worry - I should have PM'd you to begin with to avoid cluttering the thread with OOC chat. I simply wished to warn you that the outcome of this thread may affect the trade with your current pearls, but I can engineer ways around it. My apologies.
I'll keep the message up, though, as a record.

[hr][/hr]
Bernadette didn't think much of her nickname. The woman known as 'B' understood the necessity of aliases, but those of the Farling Street Gang were gratingly... frivolous. 'Dad' - the One forbid that she should call such a man as her father, but she still did - had pulled her aside once they were in the warehouse. The others were walking towards the other exit, going to their real dive to prepare for their business tonight. Mac (few of the gang knew each other's names, unless they had been acquaintances before they joined) was with him, and the woman did most of the talking.

"That boy needs following," she said. "If he's meant to be an informant then it's best we know who he's going to, and if he isn't then we can rest easier."

B nodded. "Yes'm."

Nobody else in the gang was quite as good a shadow as Bernadette. The diminutive woman slipped out, unseen.

[hr][/hr]
Elsor opened the gate and exited. A wiser person may have been more attentive in a den of thieves. As it was, without experience of the streets, the maze of Citadel, nor its' shady ways, even if Elsor had been alert she wouldn't have seen it coming.
She gone little more than ten paces before rough hands clamped over her mouth and pinned her arms to her body, lifting her up so her feet didn't touch the ground, and she was yanked bodily through a portal and behind a rotting door. One thing that registered, perhaps strangely, was that the hands smelt like those of a smoker. She was facing the interior of a derelict, abandoned house. A strip of light stretched out upon the carpet from the door besides her. The shadow of a head showed itself, peering back out into the street.
She could kick. She could try and scream. Perhaps she could try and stab the man (unlikely with her arms pinned). Even before Elsor could try any of these a gruff voice whispered in her ear.

"Your life may depend on you being completely silent for a burn or two. And that is not a threat. If we're seen..."
The voice hushed down.
Last edited by Craghley on Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

((Ooc: Ok. However, I don't get how B knew Elsor was a girl. *points to your post*))

"Your life may depend on you being completely silent for a burn or two. And that is not a threat. If we're seen..."

Elsor struggled wildly as she was lifted into a strange place. idiot, she thought, you idiot!
She could have kicked herself for being so careless. Just because she was in the guise of a boy didn't mean she shouldn't be wary - especially because of her disguise. Instead, she focussed on trying to kick the attacker, a useful tool for someone who uses their legs quite frequently in terms of swimming and running.

She knew it was dangerous, she knew it was idiotic after what her capturer had just said, but she sunk a somewhat favoured tooth - that had been sharpened over the voyage from Roque to the Citadel with nothing to do - into the hand. The least she could do is see who was behind.
"There are other ways of doing this, you know." She grumbled, unaware if he could hear as her voice would be somewhat muffled. Then she stilled completely and didn't make a sound. Perhaps he had a reason, perhaps not. She would have to wait and see.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: My apologies, its' been edited. That's what happens when I forget to use this brain of mine. You'd better get used to it ;)
... haven't seen anything to suggest that Elsor's got a sharpened tooth. Please give me a PM detailing where it can be found.

[hr][/hr]
Elsor got a kick in to the mans' kneecap - wherein she felt the rough links of a chainmail guard. Odd kind of thief or mugger to go about with something noisy like chainmail... and it occurred to he was wearing something very hard over his chest - cold too. Metal? A breastplate? The man just grunted but just affirmed his grip, moving away from the doorway before Elsor's flailing legs started to attract attention
They waited for a burn or two. Then the mystery assailant spoke again.
"Righty now, I'm gonna take my hand away and you're not going to run, screaming, out into the alleyway. Nor any other undesirable alternatives. We're just going to stay and chat a while, so... just nod when you're ready. But before you do... I cannot stress the importance of your cooperation enough. Okay?"
Her words came out more as 'mrbdrmmmdnthm'. They were rewarded with a simple 'shhh-HIT', the end conversion desperately hushed as Elsor's teeth stabbed into his palm. This time he let go, freeing Elsor - but not doing anything to try and subdue her again.
It - he - was a watchman.
A flicker later, Elsor realised it was the old, craggy-faced officer she'd tried to tease into a chase back on the street.
He was rubbing his knee and now straightened up to nurse his hand, casting a blank look to her.
"Feisty little bugger, you are," he remarked, slouching comfortably against the wall. "Does you credit, at least in my books."
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

((Ooc: Haha. ))

Elsor stood, stunned, facing the man. Did her actions to take him to chase her into the street work better than she had first assumed?

"I apologise, it isn't everyday I'm dragged off the alleyway into a.." the achadhiel looked around, trying to find an explanation for what she and he were standing in.
"Shack? Anyway. How did you find me here?"
She had honestly thought nobody had followed her, and wasn't expecting the officer of all people to find her.

Her mind suddenly turned to Ollie and his gang, to fear that the rest of the watch had found them...that it was all her fault they could end up in jail or worse....
"And why are you here?"
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

The grizzled old man just... stared. Stared for a full three seconds before his body became wracked with an awful sniggering. He even wiped away a dramatic tear of mirth from his wrinkled eyes.
The other hand was searching a pouch and came up with a thin film of white paper. He poured a measure of tobacco into it and expertly rolled it into a tight cylinder. Sulphur invaded Eslor's sinuses as he struck a cheap match off the wall, holding it to his complementingly shabby hand-rolled. His shoulders were still quivering with chuckles.
"First time I've pulled up a witnessed pickpocket and they apologised." Condescension dripped off of every word. "I haven't even brought out the ol' brush."
A wisp of tacky smoke wreathed its' way around Elsors' head. Sight and smell were muted beneath the weight of that rancid haze.

"First of all, I think we need to be introduced. Gregory Harbuck, at'cher service."
He didn't sound to be in anyone's service excpet his own. The orange pinpoint of the lit cigarette waved about as he continued.
"Let me give you a helpful little start to this: you stole approximately twenty circlets of illegally obtained money. You avoided pursuit of the watch, for which I can think of wasting watch time and resources, resisting arrest, and smuggling of contrabrand - just off the top of my head." The cigarette wobbled in the dark. Harbuck's voice became harsher and the he leaned in closer. "You then loitered, loitered I tell you in a public space not some fifty paces from here, where you turned in the stolen finances to a known criminal element - aiding and abetting right there, and the One and his dog knows there's a lot more I can add to it!"
Harbucks' finger now prodded Elsor roughly on the sternum, enough to put her slightly off balance.
"Yer goddamned lucky I haven't brought you into headquarters! Most of the plod there reckon an offence of 'he looks like trouble' is grounds enough to paint you black and blue!"
And now he subsided, calm, withdrawn. He leant back against his spot upon the wall.
"And your trailing method is piss. You must have wanted a chase, doing that fool dance of yours. But you stand out like a sore thumb on the street, so you had no chance of losing me, lass. And yes, I know. I've seen more'n enough, and you hide it pretty well - lots of male achadhiel look a bit girlie, and the rest you can pass of as just being young. But you're not getting by me."
A pause. A drag on the cigarette, and another foul puff of smoke.
"But that's not here nor there. What'd you speak to the Farling gang about?"
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor frowned. She hadn't stolen.
"Excuse me, but I think that you're sadly mistaken. I didn't 'steal' the circlets as you suppose I did, but rather returned it to the person who dropped them. Secondly, how was I to know that they were an outlaw gang? I wasn't born here, you know."
Elsor dug into the depths of her sack and pulled out a nicely rounded pearl, approximately the size of two thumbnails.
"I'm not sure if this will cover the expenses, but I hear things like this are valuable to some people."

"But that's not here nor there. What'd you speak to the Farling gang about?"
Elsor decided to deny talking about anything. But, alas, that was a lie.
"Not much, I learned their names - I doubt that's their real names anyway - and that they've had a tough life. I suppose that, if you wanted a reason for me to want to give them the circlets is so that perhaps they'd come off better by it, so that they'd have enogh to perhaps move to someplace where they can start a normal life.."
She lifted her chin to give the man a steely gaze.
"I doubt that'd be enough to help them, but someone's got to do something about the predicament of the people that have to steal for a living. I came here initially to become a wealthy merchant but now that I've seen what these people have to put up with I've decided that I'm gonna help them. I'm not trying to go against the law, but that's my three circlets in my view of what's going on."

Immediately she felt sick. The stifling smell of the tobacco in the confined room was choking her and the feeling that her father would either murder her or applaud her for her response wasn't good, either. She decided that if the guard didn't have anything worth listening to, she would leave.
Besides, she had friends now. Was he one? She didn't think so.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Elsor suffered no interruptions as she spoke - Haarbuck even stopped wagging his cigarette about, usually the only sign of movement from the watchman. She didn't know it but every word was worming its' way deeper into his mind. He'd come here because he actually hadn't wanted this girl to get herself drowning in the deep end, not before she really understood what was happening. But her... naivety, that's what Harbuck thought it was (after all, nobody alive was quite that stupid) gave him the biggest feeling of shock he'd suffered in years. This wasn't funny any more. Trying to save the lost souls of the underworld? She'd be sinking to the bottom of the harbour with lead weights tied about her ankles in a matter of days.
And the pearl! Practically any other officer would think she was trying to bribe them. He gave a snort when he added to this thought, and reckoned that the overwhelming majority would take up on it as well. But he actually believed this girl, Elsor, was trying to reparate the damages.

Unbelievable.

Harbuck rubbed the bridge of his nose. At last he raised sharp eyes to the pearl Elsor had proffered, but shook his head.
"Look, I'm not trying to put your... friends away. The lad that took that purse, I know him but I don't give a rats' arse. And I don't think I can move against the gang itself. Could be either of the best or worst time to strike, but I don't want to risk it. No, I'm worried about your own good person.
"I can tell you now that they're not interested in 'redemption'. Not enough profits, too many dangers. And didn't you hear me the first time round? I don't have to use trumped-up charges to bring you in, depsite the fact that there are plenty enough. Some of the nastiest thugs you'll find I have to share my rounds with. So why do you think I'm here, with no partner, having a simple chat out of sight of your new 'friends' for your convenience? Because they'd slit your throat otherwise. Which brings us back the point I've been trying to make: you don't know what you're dealing with. They kill people. People that get in the way. All too often some boor bugger's been going home late from work to his wife and kids, sees something in the shadows that certain people of ill repute don't wish to be witnessed - and the next day we're fishing the poor sods' body out of the harbour.
"So think about this. They spent a few minutes putting on a show on someone who's now in their pocket - and yes, now they have some dirt on you - and you think you know them? There are much better targets for your charity. But as I've said, that's neither here nor there at this moment."

Elsor's changing palour seems to have registered, for Harbuck let the cigarette fall and ground it out under his heel. "There's a tiny yard out back. I suggest we get some fresh air there."
If it was just a suggestion, then it was a damn strong one. To Harbuck's mind the foul smoke was a good way of putting people off balance when he spoke to them, but this girl didn't quite warrant it.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

As Elsor listened to the officer, her hot air balloon of confidence deflated into a tiny thimble.

"I can tell you now that they're not interested in 'redemption'. Not enough profits, too many dangers. And didn't you hear me the first time round? I don't have to use trumped-up charges to bring you in, depsite the fact that there are plenty enough. Some of the nastiest thugs you'll find I have to share my rounds with. So why do you think I'm here, with no partner, having a simple chat out of sight of your new 'friends' for your convenience? Because they'd slit your throat otherwise. Which brings us back the point I've been trying to make: you don't know what you're dealing with. They kill people. People that get in the way. All too often some boor bugger's been going home late from work to his wife and kids, sees something in the shadows that certain people of ill repute don't wish to be witnessed - and the next day we're fishing the poor sods' body out of the harbour.
"So think about this. They spent a few minutes putting on a show on someone who's now in their pocket - and yes, now they have some dirt on you - and you think you know them? There are much better targets for your charity. But as I've said, that's neither here nor there at this moment."

Elsor could - yet couldn't - believe it. She could see Da, Dragon and B doing things like that but thinking back to Ollie, he wouldn't. He couldn't. Actually, when she came to think of it, Ollie was the only person she'd want to help. She couldn't tell the officer that, though.
She made a move to let the officer lead, thinking hard and putting the pearl back into her sack. She was hoping that the officer would give it to the lady who was stolen from to make up for the lost circlets, but obviously he wasn't in the mood for making amends.
"Why would you want to help me, though? I'm obviously useless moving about, so if someone's going to sink me to the bottom of the ocean they'll accomplish that pretty quickly. And, because I haven't had much experience with trading and I came here to learn to be a merchant, they'd be able to track me with no more than a compass. So why would you even bother?"
Perhaps moving from Roque D'Ancourt wasn't such a good idea, after all.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Harbuck seemed at first suspicious when Elsor decided to let him lead. Then he sighed and marched out in front of her towards the rear of the building. They went through a door along the opposite end of the room and followed a corridor for about twenty paces. The plaster was mouldy and disintegrating, the floorboards groaning mightly underfoot. The place smelled overwhelmingly stale. Enough daylight was reflected through the building to ensure that neither person bumped into a wall or caught their foot on something.
A few flickers later and they were outside. The yard was about twenty paces sqared - Elsor was quickly able to calculate it as four hundred sqare paces then - and bordered by other houses, much alike to the one they'd exited and all opening up into this little patch of tough grass. A lone birdbath stood in the middle on a small plinth with a couple of crows cawing vociferously at one another. They turned their beady eyes upon Harbuck and Elsor as they emerged from the dingy building, taking to the wing when they came too close.
Gregory Harbuck sniffed disparagingly at the scene, particularly the inadequate square revealing the sky. You'd only get the sun in here a couple of hours before and after midday, what with those tenement houses all about.

"Perhaps if you could make your living on the street, I wouldn't need to bother. But... you really want to help? I'll admit there's a lot of folk that could do with the kind of hand you're looking to lend out. That lad there, name of Ringles or summat, kids like him. And that pearl! Hah! You know, you ought to be careful with that sort of thing. Most people would consider it a bribe, which would get you out of trouble with the watch at least. But best to hand reparations direct to the victim..." and here the mans' voice lowered to a mutter, and Elsor picked up something about 'though the damage has already been done'.
"All too often folk come here and fall in with the wrong crowd," he continued. "Or don't have a wise enough head on their shoulders, and soon enough get themselves into trouble with the local disreputables. Like you. Pure motives, poor planning. Someone like you doesn't deserve to wear the heavy shoe.
So to business. You want to be a merchant? Pearls, o'course," Harbuck said while eyeing her up and down, "and you've the look of a diver. See a fair few of them down at the wharf. What're your plans?"
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor gave a sigh and scratched her head.
"Well, my plans were to be to check out the surrounding area, dive for some trinkets below the sea and then sell them to the people on the street. Firstly to save up for a stall and then a shop and so on."

She looked to the crows and shuffled her feet.

"Obviously those plans were, let's say disturbed, but I was going to leave this place and continue on with my morningtide. Probably isn't morningtide anymore, but it's not such a drawback, is it? Even if the Harrin gang are going to hunt me down, what would you be able to do about it?"

She thought back to Ollie, as she had done so many times that day, and wondered if the gang would ever miss him, should he happen to go missing.
"I do thank you for bothering to go and follow me, but if there's nothing else that you'd like to do rather than stand around and talk, you don't suppose you'd know where I could find any places where there have been reports of clams on the seabed?"
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

"It's the Farling street, girl. And I could be of more help than you think."

It was apparent to Elsor that the man was quickly growing agitated. Was it what she was saying, or simply the fact that he'd stamped out his ciggie before finishing it off? Of course, the two weren't mutually exclusive. Harbuck's gaze was hard, his hand fidgeting at the side of his pouch.

"If you don't give a damn about this, alright. Go to the harbour, and look for the divers. Why the hell should I know what you can find at the bottom of the sea?"

Brooding darkly, Gregory Harbuck turned his back and stalked away. He left by way of one of the house opposite to which they had come by. He called back over her shoulder.

"I'm doing my rounds up at Temple Lane today. If you ever need to just 'stand around and talk'..."
He left it at that.

[hr][/hr]
OOC: you're free to wrap up this thread and start another at the harbour.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor nodded her head as a finality when he walked off. She wound her way back through the doorways and found herself in a familiar alleyway.

Somehow, the feeling that a good day gone sour lingered and she shrugged her shoulders as if to get rid of it. Swinging her sack over her shoulder, she trudged down the narrow alley and out into the sunshine.

((Ooc: Thanks. See; 'a fishy can't change it's scales'))
Last edited by Elsor on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

OOC: Alright, closing this down - getting someone to lock this thread for skilling. Good job :)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled and archived. :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”