The Aesthetics of Show Business (Chyril 27th, MT )

Moderator: Mods

Elsor
Civus

The Aesthetics of Show Business (Chyril 27th, MT )

Post by Elsor »

Ooc; I'm not sure about the lady with the turnips...

The marketplace of the Citadel's Outer Ring was busy enough to entertain Elsor's interests for the burns she was looking around. The sights, smells and sounds of market stalls that were so familiar to the achadhiel were all around and helping her to blend in and mingle with a few old women selling turnips.

"Pearls...you know anyone interested in buying them?" She asked the elderly human lady as she held out a turnip.
"Turnip?"
Rolling her eyes in frustration, Elsor moved on. Being annoying was a trait of merchants that usually got them a good deal, if only for the sake of getting rid of the troublesome person.

"Hey, you there! Are you interested in buying pearls? They're shiny, they're sparkly, they'd look great on a sword hilt or a necklace! Half the price of jewellers' pearls! C'mon..."

Elsor, so far, had a few almost successes - only to have them turn away when they lost interest. Elsor shuffled over to the wall next to the lady with the turnips, who grinned at her in the old-lady way that they do when they try to say, 'well, it isn't that easy now, is it?'.

"Yeah, I'll buy a turnip."
Last edited by Elsor on Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to allavatars.com for my avatar!
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Creating NPCs is a big no-no, but let us turn a blind eye to it this once, and play along. Just use the location description next time and I will provide the flavor.

The lady smiled at Elsor showing a grand total of five teeth in both her jaws, turning to her sack of turnips and shuffling through it, pulling a large turnip that was shaped somewhat like a heart. “There you go, missy. Be sure to cook it well before dinner. They are a bit hard, but good turnips are that way. I fear I cannae take a pearl in exchange, but it’s only a banner per turnip. You gots a banner?”
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Ooc; I had the feeling that would happen. >.< Sorry about that.

Elsor nodded, rummaging through her sack for a banner to give to the elderly lady.
Pearl, no. Box, no. Tunic, no...
"Got it!" the achadhiel exclaimed as she drew it out of her bag. Taking the strangely-shaped vegetable (or was it a fruit?), she moved to go and barter with some other person who wouldn't chuckle at her when she made a mistake.

Shuffling along with the human current, Elsor started to scan the surrounding area for something interesting to do.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The marketplace was hardly the best place to sell jewels, even had Elsor intended to do so at low prices, but lucky for her, the old lady seemed grateful for the trade she made. Biting the coin she was given with the few good teeth she still had, the woman grasped the girl’s sleeve and tugged her back. “You best go see Hadvin, sweetie. He buys all sorts of stuff.” He tucked the coin into her belt and motioned towards the alley nearby. “That way and you’ll find his shop. Hadvin’s Oddities it’s called. And whatever you do, don’t make jokes of how he speaks. He does not like that. And everyone does business with him.” She smiled and turned around. “Turnips. Will ya buy some turnips.”

Nestled among the ramshackle tenements and warehouses of the Outer Ring was a modest shop with a tudor facing and narrow, curtained windows. While the building's upper level was in desperate need of paints and cleaning, the stones that made up it's lower level were set well and held with mortice that might have been scrubbed a short time ago. Steps from the street lead up perhaps a single pace to a narrow, red door of splintered wood and cast iron fittings, of which only the handle was free of the orange tint of time mixed with the wet, coastal airs. A bronze plaque just near the door announced the building as "Hadvin's Shoppe of Extraordinaries", though the engraved plate was too small and too subtle to be seen or read unless the potential visitor was standing within two paces of the entrance.

Except on Rasday, Lyrday, and Firstday, when the shop was closed, the door would be unlocked to allow potential visitors to enter. As they did, a myriad of bells rung out in announcement, a tiny chorus of silver that filled the room with a distinctive cacophony of sound that would reach all throughout the two story building. The entrance room...a seemingly vast chamber that dominated the entire ground floor...was made almost cramped with shelving, crates, barrels, jars, and casements that included books, scrolls, and various other boxes, trinkets, and novelties meant to catch the imagination as well as the eye. Bones of strange, foreign beasts could be seen towards the back, some as large as a pace in length, while magnificent, detailed carpets covered one wall, arranged such that they might display only a fleeting glimpse of their glory before they were obscured by the next carpet. Stacks and stacks of clothing were to be seen, ranging from the soft, duck clothing routinely seen on a sailor while at sea to the intricate, delicate underclothing favored by women in the Western lands. Weapons lined the wall opposite the carpets, arms that ranged from cheap fist knives to a magnificent battlesword that measured nearly two full paces in length from pommel to point.

While there were literally hundreds of visible items to see, the casual visitor was quickly distracted by the growling sound that filled the air and the resonant, persistent vibration running through the hollow, wooden floor that accompanied it. Laying on a ragged blanket just near the sturdy counter by the door was a dog of rather unusual size and temerity, it's large, flopping jowls curled back as it bore it's massive set of teeth towards this new intrusion into it's comfortable domain. The animal was near the size of a pony, with one eye gone to the milky white of cataract that did little to improve the animal's dark, shaggy appearance. Either by virtue of the numerous bells or the cavernous, blood-stopping growl that filled the room, the proprietor appeared as he stepped down a narrow staircase that ran along the left most wall of the building.

He was a dusky man of average height and a crude, ugly disposition that centered upon his twisted, lethargic face. Dark, curly hair imperfectly covered the sides and back of his head, leaving his pate as bald as his forehead. Thick, bushy eyebrows poked out in wild oblivion just over his narrow, imbalanced eyes, the right of which seemed to miss the focus of his attention and continue to stare off into nothing as if it had a mind of its own. He wore a decent cut of laborers clothing, with a cotton smock thrown over cotton pants and well-used, scuffed leather boots. When he spoke, his command of the human tongue was fluent enough, but it was heavily tinted with a strange accent unknown in these lands. "Now here I haf guests. Bunny! Now it is you will behafe!" he barked, a command to his faithful pet "Bunny" that promptly ceased its growling and lowered its thick, impressive head back to the floor below where it might doze once more. Scratching himself absently, Hadvin casually moved to his counter just near the door. "I am Hadfin. To my shop, be felcome. Tell me know fot it is you seek, and Hadfin will help you find."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor made her way to the shop the turnip lady had indicated. Walking inside tentatively, the Achadhiel almost jumped back into gravetide when the dog started barking.

"Um..Hadfin? I'm here to see if I can find someone to buy a pearl."

Looking around at the assortment of strange items and random objects, Elsor moved towards the counter slowly, so as not to alert 'Bunny'.
What a cute name for such a dangerous-looking dog.. Thought the young woman absent-mindedly as she moved to slide past it.

"Are you interested in pearls...Hafdin? Uhh..no, sorry..Hadfin?"
Elsor stumbled over the shopkeeper's name as she desperately tried to remember it.
Darn... Elsor mentally kicked herside in the shins for making such a careless mistake.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

“Not Hadfin. My name Hadfin. Hadfin. Understand?” The shopkeeper did not seem overly happy with Elsor’s butchering of his lovely name, but the girl did not appear to do it on purpose so for now Bunny stayed still, dozing and snoring in such a way that the floorboards under the girl’s feet vibrated slightly. Hadvin leaned forward as the girl approached, holding out his hand to Elsor his right eye staring somewhere past her right shoulder as the left focused on her face. “Hadfin interested in all things that come way of his shop. You show pearls and I tell, no?” He paused and for a flciekr both his eyes were on Elsor. “These your pearls are? Mean only you claim own them? Nobody looking for pearls you offer?”
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

The young achadhiel jumped again as the man roused on her for mispronouncing his name.
"S...sorry...I'm sorry...I didn't mean to...I.."
She shuffled away from the dozing dog slightly as she dug into her bag hurriedly for the pearls he so desired.

"I found most of them, but I was given one by a friend......would you know of anyone who would be interested??"
She gently placed the pearls - ranging from a tiny pinhead to one the size of the tip of her finger, also known as the 'rude' finger by most.

"Umm...the small one was found at the Mer De La Luna....the middle one was found at the Mole, I think..umm"
Elsor tried to immerse herself in explaining the round glossy objects to forget the presence of the wolflike dog. Elsor stopped.
"My name's Elsor, by the way."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Possession was half the ownership, and it seemed that Elsor actually owned the pearls she was aiming to sell, which in turn raised their value and turned the negotiation from cautious to a relaxed one. “Pleased I am to be meeting you, Elzor. So you hunt pearlz? Good fork zsat.” He reached to pick the largest pearl with two fingers, pausing and arching a brow to see if she minded, bringing it close to his steady eye and turned it this way and that against the light. “Good pearlz. I buy them, if you zell. Zis one I take for three circlet. I tell price for rest when I examine. Good deal?” The pear he already examined was placed down on the table as he reached for the second pearl. “Can you get more? I buy as many as you get. Or we do businezz. Pearls for merchandize. I get anyzink you need in time.”
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor relaxed a little, seeing that the shopkeeper was on more friendlier tones. She could even go as far as saying that he looked the slightest bit happy in the eyes of the achadhiel.

"I am willing to sell, yes. I'm not sure how often or how many I can get my hands on at once, but if you're willing to buy them when I do manage to roll past some then I can make this my base for depositing pearls.."

The female achadhiel took a quick look at the surrounding atrefacts. Odds and ends from all over the Citadel - perhaps even the Western Empire, (alas, Elsor's imagination was going wild), was cluttered around the shop. Turning her attention back to Hadfin, she waited for him to take a look at the other pearls.

"How much would you be will willing to pay for, persay, a pink pearl?"
Elsor had a plan forming in her mind. Finally, an adventure. A quest. She would set out to find a perfect pink pearl...
How many times could I say that really fast without stumbling? I wonder..
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

As each pearl was scrutinized, Hadvin bent and scribbled something on a tiny piece of paper, murmuring to himself, his attention directed at the tiny specks of dirt encased in what people called seashell's tears amongst other names. "Four Circlet three Lance. For all. Can't pay more." Then the girl said something that caused the thin man up from his work, his quill pausing in mid-air, a single drop of ink detaching from its tip and staining the counter. "Pink? I buy that too. Price? How large? Same size as white, double money for pink. Four time money for black, but they only legend. You have pink pearl?"
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor was filled with joy when she found out how much the pearls were worth. Blinking at the reaction of the shopkeeper, Elsor shifted uncomfortably.

"Well...I don't exactly have any pink or black pearls...but I'm sure I could find some if you knew of where I could find them."

Elsor raised an embarassed hand to the back of her neck, where she leant to the side and started racking her brains for where she could have possibly heard of the wherabouts of this legendary black pearls.
"I've been searching the bottom of rivers and coasts for something special. So far all I've found is knives and coins...I've been out to the Harbour for a swim and it's actually the most dangerous place I've ever been...Anyhow, you wouldn't happen to know where there have been reports on clams about, would you?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Hadvin looked almost disappointed for a flicker, though the pearls already upon his counter were good enough for a start, and he set about counting the money they have agreed upon. “You get any pearls and I buy them. Hadfin trades anyzing he likes. It not hard to find buyer if you know people like I.” Without any real reason, the man reached under the counter and pulled out a plate filled with what looked like toast and started nibbling on one. “You go to West Mole. Find man Frinkles Hammond. Say Hadfin send you. Tell him fat you need and he help. He catch fish, so he know where to find clams. If he not zere you need find him. I can’t help if he not zere.”
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

The young Achadhiel bowed her head in a flicker of shame. Why had she mentioned it? She felt like slapping her forehead.

With the information given on where to find this pearl seller, Elsor nodded and took a small step away from the counter.
"Well....umm...they're yours then. So....have you heard any word of the...umm...Harrin gang? By any chance?"

Elsor shifted away from the counter...and the dog...to look quizzically at Hadfin as he ate his toast.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Normally not quite so generous, Hadvin nudged the plate closer to Elsor and should she pick a piece of peculiar snack, she would find that indeed was toast, with just a hint of garlic rubbed into its surface. "Harrin gang? No such gang in Citadel. Maybe you heff name wrong? I know many man and woman in city, and some in gang. But, no one gang named Harrin. You sure it right name? Not somezink else that sound like Harrin?"
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor screwed up her nose in thought, cautiously taking a little piece off the plate to test the peculiar dish and nibbling it in a mouse-like fashion.
"Hmm...I dunno...Harrin, Barrin, Jarrin...aethlin...Tuirdhiel...."
Munching absent-mindedly on the toast in silent thought, Elsor shook her head.
"While I'm here I might as well ask. Do you need anyone to work for you? Or perhaps a lord who needs an extra hand? I'm sort of desperate for some work.."
Elsor looked at the dog. Perhaps the idea of working in the same shop as Bunny wasn't such a bad idea...what was she thinking? How had the conversation turned to such a random subject, anyway? Perhaps something in the toast...
I must be more tired than I initially thought, Elsor thought sleepily, hmm..perhaps it wasn't the Harrin gang after all...
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"I zink zere be many Harrin men in gangs, but no Harrin gang. Probably you know Harrin and he tell you gang him to impress. Men do that to girls, Hadfin knows." Bunny showed absolutely no interest in Elson, simply laying there and snoring, though his ears still moved, turning this way and that at every new sound that came through the door. The man shrugged at her question, gesturing over the store. "You zee, Hadfin not have many customers. Picked clientele. People know Hadfin, but Hadfin not work wiz everyone. Very picky. Good businessman and so can be picky. You understand?"

That being said, Hadvin was not unwilling to help, when in one of his kinder moods, and this was indeed Elsor's lucky day. "What kind work you do? You know I don't read minds? You need tell what you need and zen I can help. Hard to help if you know half. You understand?" He was willing to help, but did not quite understand the girl's way of thinking and had trouble figuring out what she really wanted.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor tried to think of what it was she could do.
"Well, I can dive....I can deliver messages and papers to people, I can help with sorting and stacking and I can read a little bit of Adhiel as well as human script. Umm....I'm not bad at cooking, either."

Elsor looked around and took in the shop. It was the first time she had really thought of her skills in that context and it was hard to think of what she was able to do.
"I can also track people - to a degree. I'm not very swift or very quiet but I like to try.."

A little peturbed at the dog that completely ignored her, Elsor tapped the floor lightly with her toes.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Hadvin kept his position for such a long time, by not getting involved and choosing, but instead being fair and treating everyone the same. Thus certain business opportunities Elsor could take advantage would need to be offered by someone else. That did not mean the shop-keeper did not have a suggestion or two. “You best go to Imperial Trade Guild. Zey hide people. Carry zings, maybe scribes. You need ask. Also could go to City Guard, but not zat sure. You not guard type. Maybe Temple of Pecunia? Zey have mail service, so zey need people to carry letters. Zat be a bit of running.” Bunny opened an eye, letting a deep growl rumble through the floor, but still did not move, even though the dog was clearly awake. “Track people not zat useful in city. Or useful, but I not know who need zat. Or not want to say.”
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor almost jumped right out of her skin when Bunny growled. Obviously he didn't see running as a favourable pastime.
"So...The Imperial Trade Guild? I'm not sure how fit I am at running but excercise never hurt anyone. Could you give me some directions as to where I could find them?"
Moving cautiously back to the bench, Hadfin's words still running through her head. Had something gone on concerning Track people?

"I'll make a note to stop by your shop regularly, don't you worry. I might even bring you some customers, if that's what you want."
Elsor grinned and tapped one of the pearls left on the bench with her index fingers as she waited for Hadfin to reply.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

“Sure, you find Guild at docks. Big warehouse. Biggest zere. Zey also have many ships in harbor. Many, many ships. Zo zey need messages delivered all over city. You don’t need to run. You can walk, but not always. Zometimes message need be delivered fast. Zen you run.” Hadvin seemed to truly enjoy his toast even though it was a simple toast without any special ingredients. “Zank you, but I not like when customers are nasty. I have Bunny chase them away. You understand?” He nodded and with slight suspicion in his eyes, picked the pearls and dropped them into a small leather pouch one by one.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Elsor nodded thoughtfully as she took in most of the information.
Docks, big warehouse, ships. Got it. I wonder if Bunny enjoys his job..?

"I understand."

Elsor moved away from the counter and grinned.
"Well, if all goes well, I'll come back to thank you. If not, I'll come back to check how everything is going anyway. Thankyou for all your help, by the way."
With that, Elsor went to turn and leave, a new task putting a stronger step into her stride.
Last edited by Elsor on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

With a sappy smile, Hadvin waved at Elsor. "You come back any time you have buziness with Hadfin. You got good buziness skills. Bye." Stepping out in the rain, she could hear the scrape of something heavy moving against the wood back in the shop, Hadvin doing some redecorating on the sly while he had a bit of time.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Savaged by a skilling Bunny.

locked, summarised, archived
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”