Temple of the Mother - Chy 27 ET

Moderator: Mods

Claire Owens
Civus

Temple of the Mother - Chy 27 ET

Post by Claire Owens »

Amidst the flash and grandeur of some of the more showy temples sits the Mother's Temple of the Citadel. A wide low building plainly shaped and missing much of the decoration apparent in the other places of worship, the Temple is constructed of the heavy gray stone that seems to be found everywhere on the isle. The workmanship is of such quality that there are no visible seams: the Temple appears one great, vaguely mound-shaped stone of various blended shades of gray.

The entrance is a wide open archway leading into an antechamber. The doors to the great chapel within are a wonder to behold: seemingly an infinite variety of woods and metals have been blended into an abstract, but comforting pattern decorating the two large doors.

Within is a large open chapel with a low ceiling. Rows of wooden benches provide seating for the large number of commoners, mostly women, that come here seeking the blessing and comfort of the Mother. A warm glow from several large oil lanterns provides both light and dancing shadows along the walls. Simple but well-crafted friezes depicting the various events associated with the Mother - planting, tending and harvest of the fields, fertility and childbirth, and gardening - to name a few.

Doorways lead off to the sides - perhaps into the separate chapel rumoured to exist for the use of the Citadel's wealthier women; perhaps into the gardens and elemental shrines that are spoken of in whispers by those few devout worshippers who have been invited within. The Temple is pleasantly warm within in contrast to the chill weather that seems to have gripped the city outside. All in all, it is a sober, comforting atmosphere.

So here she was and the empty feeling in her stomach was growing bigger with every passing flicker. A voice in her head was suggesting that if she cut her losses now and didn't go looking for the truth then maybe she would never have to deal with it. It was stupid, of course, and she was mad at herself for even thinking so irrationally but...

He's the best friend you've got. Don't even go there.

After days of putting off the inevitable, Claire finally pulled herself together enough to begin searching for her partner Keros, following his disappearance from the Red Banner. Word on the street was that the victims from the fires had been brought to the Mother's Temple for healing. It seemed the most logical place to start looking.

She stepped inside and stood in the doorway of the chapel, keeping an eye out for anyone who might be able to tell her where they kept the injured.
[size=75][b]"The heart wants not coffee nor coffee houses. The heart wants a friend. Coffee is only an excuse." - Old Turkish saying[/b]

Avatar by crystaldragon at allavatars.com[/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

As it were, most people in Citadel knew of only one place where wounded and injured people were taken, the other often slipping from their sight as those who were sent there were those who had no-one to care for them. Temple of Mother was a fine place to start her search and it was easy for Claire to come upon a number of acolytes, all of them girls barelly in their teens, dressed in simple pale grey robes. One actually stopped on her way, noticing the look on Claire's face and with a polite smile clasped her hands before her. "Good evening, miss. Can I be of assistance?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Morg

Post by Morg »

(OOC: I might end up in a sidethread, but thought I'd post here at first to make things easier for the Wolf. :))

Morgan had been rushing about like a madman since gravetide, and so he'd had little chance to rest and recover from his ordeal. He was in a terrible state, pale and haggard with dark shadows around his bleary eyes and his usually tidy hair in a mess around his head. Still, he'd returned to the Temple of the Mother because he had an appointment to meet, and punctuality was something he valued highly.

He wasn't particularly religious, but he'd been brought up as a follower of the Mother. The Scrylocks, although notionally worshippers of the whole pantheon, had a special place in their hearts for the Mother, whose favour in the form of fertility blessings was particularly important for their farming lifestyle. During his months in the Citadel, Morgan had occasionally visited the Temple to pay his respects, and he felt it to be a place of peace.

It was Danomel, the man from the Archives, who he was here to meet. In theory, both of them had been following up leads on the Liber Maleficarius, although Morgan's own research plans had been rather rudely scuppered by a gang of Netheric crabs and an unexpected teleportation. Nevertheless, they had agreed to meet and compare notes, and to seek out Mother Abeaja, one of those who had participated in the ritual to destroy the book. So far, only Mistress Tabeann had been interviewed, which left three professors of the University and two priests. One of the six had to have taken the book, and Morgan was determined to find out which.

He didn't pay any particular attention to the others present in the temple, simply playing the role of of a worshipper lost in thought as he wandered around at the back of the great chapel.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Interesting but not as productive as he would have liked. Those were Danomels thoughts as he made his way towards the Temple of the Mother to keep his evening tide appointment.

Having left the Ha'Penny Mermaid with plenty of time, he took the time to swing though the market, looking for something to eat. Though most stalls were closing up, Danomel did manage to score some bread rolls that had some sort of white chess backed into them.

Standing just outside the entrance, to the Mothers Temple, he slowly ate one of the rolls while considering the interior. The Mage Morgan should be an easy person to spot.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

"Yeah," Claire replied to the acolyte's query. "I'm lookin' fer an achadhiel. 'Bout this big." She raised her hand to a point about six inches above her hand. "Black hair. Blue eyes. Pwobably dwessed weally well. Name o' Kewos Silverflame. Is he... was anyone like that hurt in the fires?"

In an act of iron self-control, she shut down most of the emotions from her face and voice, speaking in quiet, clipped tones. Although she didn't realise it she looked too calm. Almost cold. Like she didn't give a damn.
[size=75][b]"The heart wants not coffee nor coffee houses. The heart wants a friend. Coffee is only an excuse." - Old Turkish saying[/b]

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The Temple was unusually busy this past couple of days, the twin fires and recent open fighting in the streets bringing many wounded and injured to its vaulted halls. With so many wounded to tend to acolytes and priestesses did not pay much attention to two travelers who did not seek them out and ask for assistance. Thus, both Danomel and Morgan were left alone.

Claire on the other hand had the young acolyte’s undivided attention, the straw-haired girl’s large green eyes filling with compassion when the reason for the visit became apparent. “I am not sure. Why don’t we go to the Temple and you take a look?” He motioned with her hand towards the nearby shadowy arch and once approval was given led the way.

The chamber was large and it was cool inside, the air scented by various herbs healers were busy crushing in wooden pots in the corner, and yet over it all the scent of cold, sickeningly sweet sweat and blood was tangible. Along the long lines of injured Claire was led, and none whom she saw was her partner Keros. Deep in the back of the chamber a man lay, his face bandaged, and by the looks of him, his height and color of his hair he could have been Keros. “Here, is that your friend?”
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan wasn't wearing the robes of an apprentice mage as he had been the day before. He'd opted to visit the Citadel in simple grey linens, the sort that a craftsman might wear. Aside from that, and his visible state of unrest, he was still clearly the same person he'd been that morningtide when he'd visited the archives. It seemed like an eternity ago.

It didn't take him long to notice the broad frame of Danomel, the man he was looking out for. He made his way over to the entrance archway in a few brisk strides of his long legs. "It's good to see you," he said genuinely. Morgan didn't feel like he had many allies in the Citadel, and every one was immensely valued, especially in something as important as locating the Liber. Seeing the bread roll in Danomel's hand sent a pang of hunger through him. He hadn't eaten anything more than a snack since he'd left Sierra, and his body was still trying to heal the wounds caused by the daemons that night.

"Did you manage to discover anything of interest?"
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel almost did not recognize Morgan, so changed was the mages apperances from the last time they had spoke. Taking a flicker to appraise Morgan’s state, he broke his roll in half and handed part of it to Morgan.

“Interesting, yes…” he replied in a careful measured tone. “As to how relevant, that has yet to be seen. Probably the most telling is the lack of any significant mystical turbulence around the city that might be related to the book. Whoever has it seems to either be not using it or keeping that use in close check.”

“I am also certain the item is not in the archives. While I hate to say it, I wish I could be as certain that Mistress Tabeann was not involved. Though I am sure that she has no current knowledge of its whereabouts. From the perspective of motivation, she is still the most likely suspect, though she seems to be having a crisis of belief currently.”

“I have not had the chance to check on the woman or how best to get in to talk with her. Probably need to move that to the head of my ‘to do’ list.”

“There are some other interesting things going on in and around the city, but as to weather they are related, I don’t know yet.”

Danomel considers the far wall for several flickers. “We still do not know exactly when the item went missing. Only that it went into the university, and then when the ritual was to be performed, it was found to be missing. The actual date it was taken may be a critical factor here. Mainly because of a few events that have a sort of cultish ritual stigma to them.”

Danomel sighs. “Not much to go on, I know. But if the item is used, we should probably know about it fairly quickly.”

“I am reluctant to ask what you found out considering the goings on at the university…” Danomel is obviously curios about what exactly did happen at the university.”
Last edited by Danomel on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan gratefully accepted the half-roll and wolfed it down ravenously. Even in his excitement over receiving new information, he didn't fail to spot that this was the second time Danomel had provided him with food. I owe this man a meal, or at least a few drinks. When he reported not finding any trace of magickal disturbance, Morgan wasn't surprised. It was an angle he hadn't followed up himself, mainly because he'd figured that someone with the cunning to manipulate the ritual and pull the wool over so many capable mages' eyes would also have the patience and tact to keep their use of the book under close control. With the University and the Imperial Thaumaturgist both after it, whoever had it could not afford to slip up magickally.

Mistress Tabeann had been classed as innocent in Morgan's own mind, even though, as Danomel said, she had the most obvious motivation. It was interesting to hear the man speak candidly now. Danomel was far better placed to get the truth from her than Morgan was, and his suspicions rekindled some of his own.

When Danomel as good as asked about the University, Morgan frowned - but it wasn't a frown of disapproval, just brought on by bad memories. In fact, he was glad for the opening. It gave him a chance to postpone admitting how little he'd discovered. "I've had a busy three tides," he stated frankly. "During Gravetide we were all awoken by reports of a daemonic incursion into the University. As we were mobilising to fight them off, there came a sudden immense flash of energy... I can only assume that it was the pulse that translocated the whole complex across the ocean." He thought back to the platinum flash for a flicker. "We fought off the creatures, though not without losses. When we tried to get our bearings, we found that the University was suddenly in the middle of the Sierran rainforest." It was difficult to speak so dispassionately about the events, but he hoped that the Aurelian would appreciate it.

"I was sent to the Citadel to inform the government," he continued, "and so I've been running around all day on University business. I haven't had a chance to do any other research of my own, I'm afraid." The admission was less painful than he'd anticipated. "Although I now have my suspicions about certain members of the faculties. Amid the confusion, one of the staff was found murdered by Dark Magick. An insider must have been responsible."
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

She couldn't be sure that the shrouded figure on the bed was Keros. But knowing no other place where the wounded could have been taken, the choice was either to accept that this was the fate of her friend, or to lose all hope of ever seeing him again. Claire chose hope. At least this way there was a chance that she would see him recover... no matter how terrible his injuries might be, he was still alive. The achadhiel pressed a hand over her mouth, not trusting herself to speak yet, and nodded slowly.

"Is he awake?" she asked the acolyte eventually. She did not address the man on the bed directly. With such extensive burns, surely every movement he made must have been agony.

Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel considered Morgan’s remarks carefully for several flickers. No names had been mentioned, nor the exact cause of the murder, just dark magic. Yet a member of the University staff would certainly have both opportunity and ability. To a certain extent someone from the university would also have motive for not wanting the book destroyed, though it would most likely be of a significantly different nature. Of course the other obvious ramification of that was that the book might no longer be in the city.

Heaving a sigh Danomel comments; “If it was someone from the University, then with the current state of affairs, it is a possibility that the book is no longer in the city.”

“Still it will not hide forever, regardless of who has it. At some point it will make its presence know. I am afraid though, of what might have transpired by the time that happens.” Danomel continues.

“Well I suppose we should do this interview. That will leave the Panling and the Professors.” Danomel looks around for someone who might direct them.

Off handedly, Danomel comments, “I know I mentioned the timing of the theft before, but have you given much consideration to the possibility that the item was removed sometime before the actual ritual? It did sit there for some time while people bickered over its fate. And if such were indeed a possibility, it would certainly shift the direction of investigation.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Morg

Post by Morg »

"A definite possibility," Morgan responded to Danomel's first comment, putting one slim hand to his forehead and not looking happy at the thought. "It is possible that the book itself was involved in events at the University. Though probably not in the move to Sierra itself. I know the feel of the Nether, and this felt... different." The platinum field of energy had certainly not had the air of a Netheric creation, although all Morgan had to go on was his intuitions.

Danomel continued to voice hypotheses, and Morgan's estimation of him rose yet again. Even though they had not yet found the Liber, he was already proving his worth with his perceptive observations. "It could have gone missing before the ritual," Morgan continued slowly, "but it was warded heavily by Professor Motricé during that time. I think that the immediate preparations for the ritual itself would have been the best time to make the switch. I doubt anyone could have breached and replaced his long-term wards without him noticing." Except perhaps Professor Moore... "In any case, it would likely be the same six people who had access to it during that time. I have no reason to think that anyone else knew of its presence inside the University, although I can't rule it out." He sighed. "I'll check with the Professor, in any case, and also ask him about the exact date of the ritual." It was almost impossible for Morgan to continue to view Elvin as a suspect. The adhiel mage's anguish at having let the book slip through his fingers had been tangible.

Like Danomel, Morgan shifted his focus to the acolytes and priestesses, busy as they were. He addressed the first one whose attention he could catch. "Excuse me. Is Mother Abeaja present this eveningtide, and if so could you direct us to her?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Had Claire been more than Keros' friend, she may have had a few marks and old scars to go by, but as it were the only times she saw him the young man was fully clothed. Still, the style of the hair and the line of his jaw were strikingly similar to the co-owner of Simple Pleasures, and the girl offered Claire with a further aid. "His bandages will come off in two days and you should be able to get a better look then, miss. He is not badly burned, but he inhaled a lot of fumes. His blood is full of poisonous fumes. But, given time he may recover. Sadly the priestesses can't do much for his condition. We can preserve his body, but he needs to wake up by himself. At least that is what they told me. I could have a healer over so you can talk with someone who knows more of medicinal craft."

As the conversation between Morgan and Danomel went to and fro, the life went about them, and when the time came for the to seek out an acolyte one was readily available and the girl near jumped at the address, clutching her heart and heaving a sigh of relief. "Oh, sorry. Mother Abeaja?" He glanced at the two men and quickly nodded. "I can show you where her chambers are, but I do not know if she is in. She has been very busy today. Would you follow me?" She led the way and after leading the pair through several passages, they were showed into a small austere chamber, with stone benches along the walls. A flicker later an aged matronly female entered and after sharing a whisper with the girl, looked at the newcomers. "I fear Mother Abeaja is very busy, but if you give me your names I will see if she can see you."

OOC: I think you boys best make a side thread.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel and Morgan side thread here

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

Claire nodded at the young acolyte. “I would. Thank you.” She perched herself on the edge of the bed as she waited for the girl to return with a healer, her hand resting lightly on the blankets, staring into the air.

Shit.

Her lips formed the word inaudibly.

Well we both knew the risks, mate. She directed the thoughts at the still, prone form on the bed. Can’t say we weren’t warned. And ye’d not have sat idle by if ye’d thought Evie was in danger. Couldn’ta stopped ya, ye big dumb hero. So. What are we gonna do? Well ye’ll lie here til yeh get better I s’pose and I’ll... I’ll figure out something.

The first thing to do was to ensure that Keros was cared for. If the healers couldn’t keep him here and she couldn’t do it herself then she’d pay for a carer. The second thing was to secure their assets. It gave her the jitters, just thinking about taking control of the Pleasures so openly... but it was either that, or lose everything they’d worked for as well as any chance of repaying Thomas Crane’s loan. So no more skulking in shadows or hiding behind sweetness and smiles. It was time to reclaim her own identity.

And what was that now? That was pause for thought.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The girl nodded and departed silently, leaving Claire to sit by what could have been her partner and co-owner of Simple Pleasures, but could have as easily been a complete strangers who had the misfortune of being in the place Keros was that fated night. The man looked almost serene, his chest rising and falling slowly, a slight wheeze noticeable in his breath. His skin was covered in bandages, but neck had been freed from covering and there a new layer of pinkish skin was visible, his body already recovering from the burns he has suffered. It was hard to judge his height while the man was lying down, but his physique matched Keros' pretty well, and what little hair he still had left was black, much like Keros' was.

The healer came alone the girl who brought Claire in not coming back. Woman in her early forties the healer's face bore a number of creases and lines that made her expression sorrowful, her skin drooping downward slightly. Not even the smile with which she greeted Claire shattered the impression of sadness. "Good evening, miss. I am Adrian. I was told you wish to inquire about one of our patients." She paused for confirmation before proceeding. "I fear there is nothing we can do without risking his life. His body is well, and even the wheeze will be gone in a week or so. But his mind needs to realize he is no longer hurt and then he will wake up. Tell me, what is his name?"
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

"His name is Kewos Silverflame. He's the owner of the Simple Pleasures - the cafe next to Audwey's. I'm Claire. I worked for him." The achadhiel sighed heavily and rubbed her eyes.

"I guess all we can do is wait and hope then," she said wearily. "Adwian, can I awwange for him to be looked after here? He's got no family in the Citadel and I can't be watching over him alone. Someone needs to keep the coffee shop going. There's more than just our livelihoods depending on it."

"I can cover the cost of his care," she offered. "And a small donation, for the good work the temple does."

OOC: ready to wrap this one up
Last edited by Claire Owens on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Adrian nodded as the mysterious man was finally identified and scribbled what little information she was given upon a wax tablet that hung from her belt. “Ah, that at least gives us something to work with. Usually when our patients are like him, they respond to familiar things. His name will perhaps help us wake him up. We can call to him as we tend his wounds.” She paused and then offered another venue they could follow. “We can care for him hear and we shall continue to do so until he is better. We only ask that you cover the costs for the supplies we use in caring for him. It shall be a modest sum, but we need to buy some of the plants and reagents we use. And if you would not mind I think coming here for a visit at least once a week might help immeasurably. He will hear your voice and may listen to it. You could help him wake up.” She did not press the matter, but made it clear that having someone familiar talking to Kerros might help him rouse from his unnatural slumber.

OOC: I think we can wrap it up whenever you wish.
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

"I can?" A note of hope rose in the girl's voice. "I will. I'll be doin' that. Thank you."

She made good on her word. After the healer left she spent a little more time sitting next to Keros, quietly relating to him the day's events. She told him about the new girl working at the coffee shop, Aerin, and Ashari Gywien's investment in the business. Filled him in about Fabio's latest tantrum, and the flirtation between Darrin and Dawn.

In some ways it did the young woman good as well - she did not trust easily and it did her good to let some of her thoughts out and not to keep them bottled up inside. And although she was now feeling acutely the loss of her closest confidant, deep down she knew she'd hold out. Where there was life, there was hope... and who was to say what the future held?

Fin.

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”