The Oaken Gates to the Citadel

Moderator: Mods

Caden DaSani

Post by Caden DaSani »

"The suggestions is flattering Ms. Andros", Caden paused over the proper way to address his new acquaintance, not wanting to put his foot into his mouth with the sole person in the Citadel he knew. "Unfortunately, i'm here myself to obtain further training. I learned books and office work in my parents Inn and was, or so I was told, rather quick to pick it up. I would like to get formal training here so I can be of more use again when I choose to return home."
"You are a student as well? We have more in common than I would have guessed!" Caden grinned. "To be honest, I have no idea where I should go to even begin to look for schooling. You wouldn't have any suggestions would you? I promise not to steal any opportunities from you..."
Caden ignored the urge to tell her of his secret agenda to go and learn of the Companions. At home, with family around it was more safe to be open about interests, however this was parts unknown and guessing at what the residents felt was proper or not was not something he wished to deal with immediately. Besides, the mousy young woman was quite friendly and Caden warmed up to her shy smiles quickly. She was easy to talk to and outgoing, without being brash and uncouth. The educated way she spoke made him feel slightly in over his head, but hopefully she had experience with those who grew up in smaller towns and such.
"You said you are just returning to the city if i'm not mistaken. Where have you been traveling, if you don't mind me asking?"
Hester Marjan Andros

Post by Hester Marjan Andros »

Disappointed but understanding, Hester nodded, her smiles coming easier now.

"I certainly understand. I don't think I would be qualified to instruct another quite yet myself." A soft laugh sounded as his questions piled up. "I'm afraid I would not be the one to ask about where to go for schooling here in Citadel; 'tis why I left, to gain further schooling. However, perhaps my father might be able to direct you to someone in need of a student or apprentice. And in honesty, my travels have been very limited. I've only been away to study with a rather seclusive religious order."
Caden DaSani

Post by Caden DaSani »

"A seclusive religious order?" Caden's eyes lit up. "I would love to hear more of this journey." "If you are able to tell of it," Caden added, remembering some of his manners, albeit rather late. "This is my first time leaving home, so I'm cursed with being embarrassingly uninformed," he explained.
"Would sitting down to a meal together be unappropriate?" Unable to contain his curiosity he suggested the idea before he had time to think up reason's he shouldn't ask to go eat with this stranger. "I don't mean to be forward or anything," he explained in haste. "Being new to the area and all, I'm not sure as to the acceptable approach to this sort of thing."
Travelers thru the Inn would often speak of their gods and different religious orders very heatedly. Caden enjoyed hearing the stories, and at times wished he could find such faith. He envied those who were able to put such solid belief in something ethereal, and suddenly was overcome with longing to hear of Hester's journey and adventures.
"Who knows, perhaps you could find a little charity for someone new to the city and introduce me to your father," Caden winked and smiled again, surprised at how smoothly it was going. "Allow me," He offered as he gestured to her backpack feeling quite friendly all of a sudden.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Caden and Hester
The guard watched the pair talk in front of him with an annoyed expression clear on his face. He coughed loudly into his hand and waiting for them to look at him. "You both have good reasons to enter the Citadel. I am sure the city would profit from people such as yourself. But... remember, there are odd times in the Citadel. Stay away from signs of trouble."

The guard picked up two pieces of parchment, wrote something on each of them, and handed them to Caden and Hester. "Do you need directions to some place? We have many good taverns if you are looking for something to drink or eat."
Caden DaSani

Post by Caden DaSani »

"Directions to someplace quiet and out of the way to sit for a moment wouldn't be amiss," Caden asked the guards gratefully. He was surprised at how quickly they were given entrance to the city, but then realized the lack of danger posed by the duo they comprised and relaxed. "Or perhaps you might have a suggestion," Caden turned to Hester.
It was outright rude to say he wasn't exactly sure he would be comfortable at the same type of place a city guard would be, but the thought had occurred. Besides, since he was not a resident, again he reminded himself not to alienate anyone, especially someone with the power to forcefully remove and not allow him to return to the city.
Hester Marjan Andros

Post by Hester Marjan Andros »

A flush colored Hester's cheeks as Caden referred to her for a suggestion. She chuckled softly and shook her head, a near-apologetic look on her face.

"I'm afraid I know of no such places; my father was rather protective of me. Any suggestion would be welcome though." The mention of someplace to get food caused her to realize how hungry she was. Her stomach grumbled insistently, and she turned her attention to the guard for suggestions.

It had been a blessing that Caden's mention of meeting her father had been quickly followed by distraction by the guard. The idea of taking a strange man to introduce, no matter how innocent the situation was, was overwhelmingly troublesome. She hadn't been joking when she'd mentioned his protectiveness; and Hester would always be her father's daughter.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Caden and Hester
The guard nodded and gave Caden and Hester directions to the Burpin' Dragon. It seemed like he had directed many people to the same place for the directions were concise and accurate. "It is one of out better Taverns. Perfect for people just entering the city."

The guard smiled warily and motioned for the pair to enter the gates. "Remember, watch where you step. Abide by the law and you will enjoy yourselves."
Caden DaSani

Post by Caden DaSani »

"Thank you sir, we appreciate your efficacy and assistance finding something to eat." Caden nodded politely to the guards.
"Would you care to accompany me to this 'Burpin Dragon' for something to eat and some conversation?" Caden offered his hand to Hester. "Something to eat and a place to rest never hurts..."

<i>(OOC- sorry to be so brief. not sure what else to say here. IF you would like to continue, I'll have an open post at the dragon)</i>
Cielarun Undyne

Post by Cielarun Undyne »

((OOC: Can I just stay with the timestamp and have my character at Samheen 14?))

Cielarun strode up to the gates rather languidly, his face showing no awe that usually showed on the faces of newcomers to the Citadel. The large oaken doors were indeed impressive by size, but that was where it seemed to end. Accustomed to his father's own large estate on Kislovan, the Citadel's gate looked like a mundane giant in comparison to the lavishly decorated doors in every one of the Dominicus' council chambers.

Sighing as he awoke from his nostalgic thoughts of his former home, Cielarun listened to the guard as his business in the Citadel.

Cielarun looked at the man blankly for a moment before he said, in a heavily accented common,

"I'm from the isle of Kislovan, but, as I'm sure someone as well versed in the types of travellors who pass by here, Half-elves in that country are not looked positively upon. I heard the Citadel is a place ripe for job opportunities which would not present themselves in Kislovan and other such places who haven't become quite as successful as this beautiful city has...Could you allow a young man in high hopes to pass? I would be greatly obliged..."

He was disgusted in the way he heard is own tongue slur and butcher the words of the common language, and realized that the guards probably had thoughts along these lines. So, seemingly as an afterthought, he said,

"Of course, that doesn't mean I haven't come with no plans at all... A friend told me to seek out one called Manyana...Though I know almost nothing about her... Could you perhaps direct me...?"
Last edited by Cielarun Undyne on Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Cielarun
The guard nodded and jotted something down on the small piece of parchment in front of him. With a smile, he handed it to Cielarun. "Welcome to the Citadel. I know nothing of your friend. We do not know every person who travels in here, there are far too many. Do you need directions to some place?"

The wind was cold and ferocious. It nipped at the people waiting in line and at the guards. Many of them looked wary and bored.

OOC: Yes.
Cielarun Undyne

Flinching at the wind, Cielarun masked his disappointment at the apparent lack of information regarding the Scout guildmaster.

Sighing as he glanced at the people behind him, he took the sheet offered by the guard and said,

"Yes...Do you think you could tell me where I could find someone who has good knowledge of the city? I was only told the name of the person I was to find, not the location..."

he trailed off.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Cielarun
The guard looked at Cielarun suspiciously. "I don't know the names of people off the top of my head nor does anyone else here. The Burpin' Dragon houses a large amount of strange folk. Perhaps someone will know there. It is doubtful... very doubtful." The guard watched Cielarun warily and he seemed dubious of the Elf's intentions.

"I trust that your friend has good merit within the city. Not one of those people you have heard of from... well... queer folk. No, you will be want'n to stay with'n the law."
Cielarun Undyne

((OOC: Oh, and I forgot. It was early Tradetide. I'm moving my character to the Burpin Dragon.))

Cielarun nodded, not liking the look in the guard's eyes.
"Then I'll be going to the Burpin Dragon," he said. "Thank you for your time, sirs."

He began to walk into the gates but stopped as he crossed the threshold and looked over his shoulder at the guard.

"Don't worry, sir," he said. "I'll make sure to alert the guards if I don't like this 'Manyana'. Thank you again."
Last edited by Cielarun Undyne on Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Cielarun
The guard watched Cielarun walk away and a puzzled frown appeared on his face. How did the visitor know where the tavern was? With a shrug, he looked at the line and motioned for the next person to come forward.
Hali Fay

Post by Hali Fay »

Hali had been waiting a while when the guard finally motioned for her to come forward. She nodded greatfully and adjusted her the straps on her pack, before stepping up for her turn.

"Good day sir." She smiled at the guard, her eyes were dark and warm, unintentionally flirtatious.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Hali
The guard nodded and looked down at his parchment. As is pointedly refusing to exchange in frivolous conversation, he coughed and paused for several moments before speaking. "Welcome to the Citadel. I need your name and the reason you are here."

It was cold outside and the guards all seemed wary and unhappy. Most of them had crossed their arms, intent on keeping heat in. However, they all watched the visitors with clear cautiousness.
Hali Fay

Post by Hali Fay »

Hali's smile faded slightly but she kept her voice light. She'd waited too long and traveled too far to let the guards less then sunny disposition ruin her mood as well.

"Hali Fay." She answered, pausing slightly for a moment "I'm not sure what you mean by reason, I have no particular affairs to attend too. I mean to visit for a while, perhaps if I enjoy my safe, take up residents."
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Hali
The guard nodded and jotted something down on the piece of parchment in front of him. "Is that all? I need a better reason. Do you wish to pursue something? Perhaps find someone?" He looked up and gazed suspiciously at Hali.

"Do you need directions to someplace? Perhaps a tavern is something you are looking for?"
Kalb Severin

Post by Kalb Severin »

Kalb had not seen anything like it. He was walking up a road, people everywhere, with the main gates of Citadel, (the hugest he had ever seen) in front of him and he was awestruck. Scared as well, but for now the feeling of awe was prevailing over the feeling of fear.

Past the gates he could see citadels buildings reaching above. A city this big must surely hold enough opportunities to fill Cairbara tenfold, but finding these opportunities, when you know no-one, when you don't even have a place to stay, is surely going to be hard.

Guards were at the gates entrance, should he ask them for help? They must get a thousand such questions each day, and how do they view people like him? Half casts, were they looking at him now? Wondering why such a creature has the audacity to approach this great city. Were they looking at his clothes? His face? I must stick out like a cows sore tail was all he could think.

He thought of his family, how his parents told him not to go, his father begged him to join the merchants guild, his mother, less specific, just wanted him to stay in Tel'Aranae Quessir with them. Even his brothers told him not to go. Why were they so able to fit in? They were half cast, but all had taken jobs at home, his eldest brother was married and expecting his first child, they all seem happy enough with the way they are, and what they have got. So why, thought Kalb, wasn’t I?

Kalb had a fleeting thought flash through his mind, to turn back, but he knew that wouldn’t happen, it wasn’t in his nature, he wanted something and he knew it wasn’t behind him, the thought was gone as quick as it had come. He moved on up the road and prepared himself to sound as confident as possible when he asked the guards if he could enter the city, if they knew somewhere he could stay.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Kalb
After reaching the front of the line of people waiting to enter, a guard motioned for Kalb to step forward. The guard sat behind a desk with parchment placed in a careful stack on top of it. He looked up at Kalb and nodded, a friendly smile fixed on his face. "Welcome to the Citadel. I will be needing your name and the reason you are entering this city."
Kalb Severin

Post by Kalb Severin »

Kalb kept his eyes, on the guard as he approached, careful not to look distracted by the city just inside the gate and grateful at least that the guard seemed friendly enough.

“My name’s Kalb Severin…I…”

For a moment, Kalb considered asking about the Paladins. How would the guard react if someone such as he asked about such a noble order? Laughter? Ridicule? Tell him to go back where he came from? Maybe he should keep his mouth shut for the moment, wait until he got a feel for the city, try and get a better idea of who they accept as Paladins before mentioning anything.

“I’ve come to Citadel from Tel’ Aranae Quessir to look for work.”
Last edited by Kalb Severin on Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

The guard jotted something down on the parchment in front of him and then looked back up at Kalb. "What type of work will you be looking for? Will you be needing a place to stay? The Burpin' Dragon would suit your needs..."

Around them, people were leaving an entering the gate with relative ease. A young man was being questioned by another guard, and was allowed through with little hassle. The guards watched the people waiting to enter the Citadel with wariness and caution, but their hands strayed from their weapon handles.
Kulm

Kulm at the Oaken Gates

Post by Kulm »

Kulm strode up the hill from the harbour, glad to be able to stretch his legs at last. The trip from Amun Rah had not been that bad. On the other hand, being stuck on a boat designed for humans had not been that good either, for someone of Kulm's height and bulk. Still, the half-giant thought to himself, the sailors had been friendly enough, as had the guards at the harbour. So far, things were going fine.

As he approached the gates to the Citadel, Kulm slowed. He could see buildings towering above him. Turning around, he looked down towards the docks and the sea that stretched out to the horizon. Somewhere down there was the ship that had brought him in, but Kulm couldn't see which one it had been.

He turned again and continued up the hill. The harbour guard had given him directions to a tavern - the Belching Dragon, or something similar - where he might be able to find work. Unfortunately, Kulm's grasp of the human tongue was far from perfect, and the guard's unfamiliar accent had made things worse. Something about turning left at a bakery. Or was it right at a butchers? Surely there would be someone at the gate that he could ask. Hopefully someone who didn't talk too quickly.

From a distance, the small door within the Oaken gates, framed against the great gate itself, had looked tiny - the entrance to a mousehole, rather than a city. As he got close, though, Kulm realised that even this small door was large enough for him to enter without ducking his head - a luxury in a human town! Smiling, he headed towards the entrance.

OOC: I've just noticed that I'd posted this in the wrong place. I'd done it as a new thread on the 'Oaken Gates...' forum. So I've deleted that post, and put this here, where it should have been all along. I hope this hasn't caused chaos for anyone. I won't do it again (probably).

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”