The Oaken Gates to the Citadel

Moderator: Mods

Elisylle de Jandra

Post by Elisylle de Jandra »

"Elisylle de Jandra," she told the guard. "I'm here to further my training as a scout."
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Elisylle
The guard nodded and jotted several things down on a piece of parchment right in front of him. "Where are you planning to do that?" He gazed at Elisylle as if trying to figure out what her real reasons were. "Do you want directions to the inn to find a place to stay?"
Elisylle de Jandra

Elisylle flushed, feeling completely stupid. Of course that was what he had meant... "I'm a scout, sir," she told him.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Elisylle
The guard looked at Elisylle and frowned. His eyes glittered and he talked slowly, enunciating each word, "Where... are... you... planning to... do this? Where... are you... heading?" He coughed and looked at Elisylle as if wondering where her wits were.

"You do not... look like a scout to me? Are you fully trained?" His eyes skeptically examined Elisylle and he coughed to hide a laugh.
Elisylle de Jandra

Elisylle flushed a deep red, chastising herself inwardly for her slip of the tongue. "I'm sorry, sir, I'm a little nervous," she apologised, smiling awkwardly. "This is the first time I've been to such a large city. I've come here to further my training, but I'm not sure where I will be able to do that yet. I hope to ask around a little."
Last edited by Elisylle de Jandra on Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Bane

Post by Shadow Bane »

Shadow slowly made his way to the gates of the Citadel. He took in everything around him not wanting to miss a thing. He looked at the people gathered about the great doors from behind the deep folds of his hood. He had made sure to stow away his swords underneath his cloak before he arrived on the land as his father had instructed him before seeing him off on the ship from Kislovan. He marveled at the structure (the few he could see) but kept quiet and made a steady however slow pace towards the doors. His keen ears had heard the guards ask the same monatanous question over and over to the others waiting to gain access to the Citadel. He mused to himself what he would say to these folk for he had no real buisness here not really. For now he was a wanderer just here to see what there was to see. Learn what there was to learn and when he was satisfied he would move on to the next place of his fancy. He supposed when asked he would just tell them that he was here to find some work perhaps a mentour to help him with his ability to weild the weapons his father has taught him the basics of.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Elisylle
The guard nodded skeptically and jotted something else down on the parchment. He smiled kindly and handed it to Elisylle. "Training... The purple guard offers training if you choose to join their ranks. Is that what you are looking for?" he looked at Elisylle quizzically, "If it is not, the Burpin' Dragon, one of the inn's around here, might help you find what you need. They have a lot of strange folk there."

Shadow
A guard looked up from his desk and motioned for Shadow to come forward. "Welcome to the Citadel. I need your name and the reason you are here."
Shadow Bane

Post by Shadow Bane »

Shadow walked over to the guard motioning to him and drew back his hood revealing his elvan heritage. "Good day to you. You may address me as Shadow. Shadow Bane if you wish. I have come from Kislovan to seek work here in the Citadel so that I might afford a mentor to show me the secrets of the blade and the bow. Also to take in the wonderful culture I have heard so much about in this land" Shadow watched the guards reaction and stood motionless his cloak billowing up slightly in the wind revealing just a tip of both his sword underneath his cloak. Only the keenest of eyes would have noticed.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Shadow
The guard jotted something down on the piece of parchment next to him and nodded to Shadow. He looked slightly amused when Shadow explained how the guard could call him. Yet, he seemed used to stranger people. "I see. What type of mentor are you looking for? You wish to join the guard?"

Frowning, the guard's eyes fell on the sword and he shifted uncomfortably. "You will get the best training there..." he coughed, "But, whatever you decide. Will you be needing a place to stay or have you already found somewhere to your liking? The Burpin' Dragon has fine food and drink. How about stopping over there?"

The guard picked up the piece of parchment he had written on and handed it to Shadow. "Don't be loosing that."
Tar`Shael

Post by Tar`Shael »

12th Samheen

Tar'Shael looked up covering her face with the arm from the wind which blew hard and pushed snow on to her skin. The Oaken gate was near.

She continued pushing herself. She wrapped her cloak tide around her body holding it with her hands. Although she wasn't sure if she really did, because she could not feel her hands, even she had gloves on.

Her skirt was touching the snow, who was laying already ankle high and made the white skirt wet and heavy. Her boots left marks in the snow but they disappeared soon after she has passed.

She looked up but moved her face down immediately as a cold wind shot blasted into her face. She wanted to know how far it is, until she arrives but then she decided not to. "I will just keep goind until I bang my head on the gates," she said to herself to cheer herself up. It took her some effort to arrive at the gates but when she did, she was really glad.

The wind was not as strong here, because the gate was stopping it. She looked up and straighten her back. Her backpack has made her back hurt. She did not bother to take a closer look around. She just felt too cold and tired.

She pulled her cloak slightly to the back. Her brown skin was torment by the cold and looked pale. She banged her fist on the gate to get the guards attention.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Tar`Shael
A guard motioned for Tar`Shael to come closer. He was sitting behind a desk with parchment and ink next to him. He was an older looking man who was unprepared for the cold weather. "Welcome to the Citadel, I need your name and the reason you are here." He looked around, clearly waiting for someone to relieve him

The wind was chilling and had taken its toll on the guards around the gate. They looked wary and weary. Other people waiting to enter the gate seemed much worse. They were shivering and waiting in line to be helped by one of the guards.
Tar`Shael

Post by Tar`Shael »

Tar'Shael walked up to the old guard. "My name is Tar'Shael from the house Irandir, my lord. I wish to stay at a inn." She looked at the guard who seemed as cold as she was. She did not want to ask for help but her pale face was crying for it.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Tar`Shael
The guard smiled and nodded in understanding. Many were afraid of the city, it was natural. "We have an inn called the Burpin' Dragon, I am sure you will find a nice place to stay or something to fill you up. But first, I need the reason you are here. Surly it is not to just find an inn? Our city has many attractions."

Noticing the confused look on the woman's face, the guard attempted to be helpful. "Perhaps you were wishing to become a bard? Or you were looking for our marketplace? You want to visit a temple? Something else?" The guard pointedly mentioned nice places to go. His eyes shifted and he coughed.
Tar`Shael

Post by Tar`Shael »

Suddenly a fire glow in Tar'Shael's eyes and it seemed like for a second she has forgotten the cold. "All these places and all your offers are of no interest for me." She felt lightly offended because it seemed obvious to her that escaping the cold is a very good, if not the best reason to enter the city at this time. Then she continued to speak: "Except of one! The Inn you have mentioned. This place is indeed interesting and right now my only interest. I will not tell you my further business, because I do not know myself. My brain is as frozen as my arms and legs. Why can't you let a lady pass and give her the rest she needs."

I seemed like Tar'Shael had wasted her last energy trying to act as proud as a lady only can be, but her face was marked of the cold and such act made her only look more pitiful.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Tar`Shael
The guard looked at Tar`Shael and seemed to be slightly offended by her words. His smile flattened and he coughed and quickly turned away. "I am sorry, lady, but I need another reason. There HAS to be a reason for you to come here. We cannot let strangers walk around our streets. If, perhaps, you were a beggar we would not let you in. We need to know why people are in here. I beg your pardon for even mentioning it."

The guard had been taught well. He could not allow this woman in. The hardened lines on his face made it clear. He needed a reason.
Tar`Shael

Post by Tar`Shael »

Tar'Shael smiled. She seemed like the way the man responded and she started to speak in a more warmer voice. "Well, my friend. I like you, although a beggar would not wear clothes like I do. But this is of minor importance now. I might be looking for work indeed. I am happy to offer my sword. Maybe in some time, I will be sitting here and asking the same questions you do but first I need a warm place or I won't be able to do anything."

Her face became some of its colour back. She was very glad about the guards reaction. She has nearly forgotten how it was to actually talk to someone in a more casual way. Usually people try to be nice to her because of the reputation she had but the guard wasn't. Tar'Shael was, what she wanted to be: Equal, she wanted to be like everyone else. And she thought: "I might even like it here."
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Tar`Shael
The man watched Tar`Shael with a bemused look on his face. This stranger certainly changed her mind often. "Umm... right. Feel free to enter the gates, just do not loose this." The guard wrote something else down on the piece of parchment and handed it to Tar`Shael.

"The inn will be your best bet... you should go there." He smiled and waited for Tar`Shael to ask more questions or leave. Suddenly realizing Tar`Shael might need direction, he gave them to her. They were easy to follow and fairly accurate demonstrating how the guard must have gone to the inn often.
Tar`Shael

Post by Tar`Shael »

"Thank you," she said with a smile and walked through the smaller door within the gate and entered the city, immediately heading for the Burpin Dragon
Anthony Nidion

Post by Anthony Nidion »

Anthony patted his pony's neck. Some while ago he had dismounted to give the young mare a break, and now he lead her towards the Oaken gates. He tried not to look at the passers by, people here looked so different, much paler and softer, the harsh winds of Terra Incognita had done little for his complexion, but even so, he was intrigued. He knew he stood out amongst the Citizens of Citadel, he doubted many people would be wearing furs and hide here, but he was non-plussed. He would have to change his dress code, he did not want to draw to much attention to himself here, but first things first.

He headed for the Oaken gates, inside this City he had heard of a group called the Purple guards. In Dragonkeep he had heard of the Elite group mentioned in passing, maybe here - far from home he would find some guidance. He would find them first, present himself and see what happened, if he found their doors closed to him, then it would be back into the wide world, after a quick drink of course.

He progressed towards the gates, ready for any challenge by the guards and suddenly very conscious of the sword at his back.
Shadow Bane

Post by Shadow Bane »

Shadow cocked his head slightly while looking at the guard holding the guards eyes with his own. A little trick his father taught him. It didn't always work but more often then not it did. "When you want to do something with your hands,or some action you don't want another to see hold their eyes with yours. More then likely they will not look away and you will be able to do as you wish undetected. This has aided me well in my adventures so I pass this little trick to you." His father had said. Of course his father mostly used this trick in times when he needed to pull a dagger but it had it's advantages for other situations as well. Such as this one here. The guard had seen his swords due to the wind kicking up. At least Shadow thought he had. Best to make sure they were safely tucked away. He tried to hold the guards eyes as he swiftly ran his hands over the cloak and turning his wrists to bring his arms inside the cloak closing the damned thing so that there would be no problems of guards prying eyes. "Hmm the guard you say? Perhaps yes I may want to join the guard. We will see in the morning lights if the guard has the type of mentor I seek. For now the ...."Shadow stoped and made a face as if the name sounded distasteful to him."Burpy Burped, ummm the Burpin Dragon should be fine." Shadow waited to see if the guard had anything left to say before he set off to find this Burpin Dragon.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Anthony
A guard motioned for Anthony to come forward. He sat behind a desk with a piece or parchment and some ink next to him. Another guard sat at another desk nearby. Right at the gates stood another guard who watched the line warily.

The guard sitting at the desk in front of Anthony looked up. "Welcome to the Citadel. I need your name and the reason you have come here." It was cold outside and the wind constantly hit those waiting in line. It would seem to recede for several moments and then another cold blast would return causing many to shiver and some to curse.

Shadow
The guard had been trained well and noticed Shadow's movements despite the cold. He looked at Shadow accusingly but made no comment. There was no law again having something to protect yourself. Instead, the guard gave directions to the Burpin' Dragon. "You will like it there, I am sure of it. Be sure to find out more about the guard. You may find it to your liking."
Anthony Nidion

Post by Anthony Nidion »

Anthony glanced back at the line, he did not want to delay here for any longer than neccesary.

"My name is Anthony Nidion, as for my reason for being here..." Anthony paused, why was he here? "Well, I would like to join what I think is known as the Purple Guard. Where might I find them? Though their reputation preceeds them, I have yet to learn exactly where I can enrole." His eyes softened into what was almost a smile, with any luck the guard would just point him in the direction of the Guards and he could be on his way. If he was detained any longer, he would begin to worry about the reactions of the people behind him.

He tugged his cloak around him a little tighter, trying to shut out a particularly cold blast of wind. Home had been much warmer than this, in the day at least.
Last edited by Anthony Nidion on Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Anthony
The guard's eyebrows rose but he looked slightly pleased. It was always nice to know that the guard's reputation was good enough that people wished to join. He gave quick, concise directions to Anthony that were extremely easy to follow.

The guard then picked up a piece of parchment and jotted something down on it. He handed it to Anthony and shrugged. "Don't be loosing that. It is... important. Do you need anything else?" The guard looked at the line and then back at Anthony in quiet expectancy.
Anthony Nidion

Post by Anthony Nidion »

"No," said Anthony, accepting the paper. "That will be all, thank you kindly for your assistence."

He stuffed the paper into his shirt and led his poney through the gates without a second glance back to the guard. He followed the directions precisely, stopping only once or twice to confirm if he was on the right route.

It was not long before he left the gates far behind.
A_Siruk_Idnag

Post by A_Siruk_Idnag »

As Siruk rode up to the gate upon his horse, Lightfarer, and as he reached the gates he stopped and dismounted. He stood there for a while taking in the city skyline and the beauty of the gates. "Well" says Siruk to his horse " we have finally made it, the Citadel, I wonder what the people inside are like, my brother warned me against them well we must find out." And with this he calls to the nearest guard and says "hi may I pass into your city, please."

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”