The Oaken Gates to the Citadel

Moderator: Mods

Annabella Rizeria

Post by Annabella Rizeria »

"My name is Anna and I'm from over there. The way to training now if you please."
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

The guard's brow's knitted together once again as he looked up from his slate, "Anna is it, from 'over there'... well." his tone held some frustration.

Above their heads one of the assembled jury of seagulls launched itself from it's perch, circling around the pair, it's jarring squawks seeming to be directed at Annabella as though the bird was issuing advice.

The guard gave a quizzical look at the gull's odd behavior, then resumed, "You'll need to be a bit more specific 'Anna from over there'. Turbulent times you see, we can't be too careful."

In a flap of wings the gull landed near Annabella's feet, still squawking loudly. "Out of here!" the guard gruffly shooed the bird away, shaking his head at it's boldness. The bird seemed to have much more to say than the girl, though the belligerent attitude was quite similar.

"Now you tell me just why I shouldn’t shoo you away like your little friend here..." he enquired more intensely, the girls evasive manner making him wonder if she was hiding something.
Annabella Rizeria

Gasp!

Anna runs up and pushes the guard, "Don't you dare hurt my feathered friend, he was telling me what a nice dress I have on. And if it isn't obvious, the forest is over there, and I'm from the forest. Hello? Look, guard, if you didn't want to help me, you could have just said the place was in there somewhere and I'd find it myself." sigh "Oh well, good day to you, then."

Annabella goes up and knocks on the gate, "Hello?! Your person out here isn't very helpful. I need in."
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

Taken aback, the guard's mouth fell open. He blinked with surprise at the girls defensive outburst. Then as quickly as it was done, she left him standing there wondering what he had done wrong.

A sandy haired youth poked his head around the door at Annabella's knock and cry for assistance, he had been on his break, but promptly agreed to assisting the petite girl. His face showed concern, "What's the matter Miss?"

He shot a look at the elder guard, then called out to his senior "It's ok! I'll look after the lady!"

"Here come with me..." he quickly drew her through the gate. When he thought she wasn't looking he ran his eyes over her appreciatively...

Drawing her to one side he leaned in closer, "Now never you mind him, he's gruff at the best of times. I'll see you right Miss." his eyes flickered towards the door in the gate as though he was a trifle worried his senior would come striding in any moment.

"How can I help you?" he flashed her his best smile.

Around them the city of Citadel pressed close, the cobbled streets were surprisingly clean, slightly glazed from the scuff of thousands of feet over the years. A small alley darted off nearby, to which the young man invited with a nod, "I can help you best just over there."
Annabella Rizeria

"What's over there?"
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

Unconsciously the fellow's hand had strayed to toy with his belt buckle, his eye's glinted with her naive query, "A world of opportunities is over there my dear... come, let me show you," he edged closer to the darkened alley.

Just then a huffing form appeared through the doorway, it was the finickity guard she had first spoken to. The man hadn't seen them yet, but scanned the milling public, tapping his slate against his leg impatiently - he still needed the girls last name.

The youth at Annabella's side ducked out of his seniors view and into the alley, "Come come," he called to her encouragingly, "You don't want to talk to him again do you? He'll only ask you all those boring questions, come with me, I'll show you some fun..."

There wasn't a moment to spare, in a flicker she would be seen.
Last edited by Madeline on Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annabella Rizeria

Annabella was worried that the bird hater would ask her more questions so she furrowed her brow. "No I don't want to talk to him anymore."

Annabella strides towards the alley after the guard confident that he shares the same good feelings towards animals as she. "You don't hate animals, do you? I am looking to be a druidess after all."

She hoped that this guy was much more informed than the brain damaged old man outside the gate. She also hoped that she was a few minutes from the place to learn to be a druidess because she hadn't eaten all day."
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

"I love all creatures..." the young man replied with what he knew she wanted to her, his eyes now roving the girl’s form quite openly, reaching out to catch hold of her hand to draw her against a dusty and cold bricked wall. Just a few paces away people rushed past the narrow entrance to the alley, blithely unaware of the pair's presence.

"I especially love Druidesses..." he whispered huskily into her ear, his hand working feverishly to loosen his belt, "I'll show you my devotion shall I?"

Just what the young man had in mind for the poor girl only just arrived in Citadel, Annabella was not to find out. For the senior guard at the gates had guessed something was afoot when he'd discovered the young man no where in sight, and quickly scoured his favorite spots.

Annabella was not the first solitary girl whom the young man had shown his charms to.

"Now what's going on here! Let Miss Anna loose this second, I'll be having words with you in a minute!" he scowled at the young man, then giving an apologetic look to the girl.

Promptly the young man backed off, looking for all of Tazlure, like he wished he was somewhere else. His loosened breeches slumping tell-tale low on his hips, he lowered his head guiltily as he refastened his belt.

"This is highly irregular; do say you'll not mention this to anyone." The elder man met her eyes hopefully; this was the sort of thing that could get them in big trouble.

Looking nervously at his slate again he continued on, "Now now where did you wish to go again, to become a druidess no? Well..." he became most helpful in his desire to resolve the situation, pausing momentarily to gain her response.
Last edited by Madeline on Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Annabella Rizeria

Ungh!

Annabella felt like she had no strength in her as the brute of a guard started. But having her wits about her when the old man came by, she kicked the young guard right between the legs and turned promptly to the old man.

"Where I want to go is home. What a digusting place!"

Annabella exited back out the little wooden door to the gates and ran back into the woods.
Eva

Post by Eva »

Eva approached the large oak gate, pulling her large wooden chest behind her. She was used to walking into the city from her cottage in the fields just outside the city walls, but it was the fist time she wouldn't return that day. Eva had never left her family and it was bitter sweet for her. Eva would be going to the university of magic to learn all she could, but on the other hand she was leaving her family and home.

Eva walked up to the guard and smiled sweetly.
"Excuse me, my name is Eva laws, I live in the cottage in the fields just over there and was wondering if you would let me enter please" she announced pointing east of the gate.
" Actually I come in to the city about once a week and I don't think that I've met you before, well it's always nice to meet a new face" Eva said.
Last edited by Eva on Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

Samheen 18th, early Eveningtide

A non-descript looking gent in the garb of the Citadel guard approached Eva. The sturdy oaken gates behind reached for the heavens and it was offset by the much smaller portal within the gate structure that the guard appeared. Attached to his side on the belt was a tablet and a writing quill.

"Good Even'tide, miss," the guard politely smiled as he listened to her introduction.

"Well, Eva Laws, I have to ask your business with such a weight behind you. You might be smuggling in Gnomes in that chest, or perhaps a band of rogue raccoons.. What brings you back to the Citadel this day with luggage in tow and what are you toting in that trunk you got there?" The guard smiled all the while, indicating the chest Eva dragged behind her.
Eva

Post by Eva »

Eva was not suprised that the guard asked what was in the trunk as she would of did exactly the same in that position.
"well I am off to the University of magics and thats why I am carrying this big trunk, It's full of my clothes and equipment" Eva replied, "I didn't know what I would need at the University so I packed a bit of everything, just incase, making me have to bring a huge trunk".
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

"Well that's some good thinking, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to have a look inside the trunk, I'm sure you can understand. If you could just open it up for me..." The guard positioned himself a short distance away from the trunk and smiled waiting with his thumbs looped into his belt in a casual manner.

Another guard looked curiously on from the small door in the gates, interested in the small show that was going on. Suspicion seemed to play across the minds of the guards, as they both acted very cautious but as polite as their job would allow.
Eva

Post by Eva »

"certainly" Eva said putting the trunk down in front of the guard.
She lifted the lid revealing everything inside. " I understand completely, you can never be too careful" Eva gleamed standing just behind the trunk.

She noticed that she was gaining attention by other guards, which made her feel quite strange. She had did nothing wrong but yet guards were giving her suspicious looks. This has never happened to me before, I cant wait to get to the university of magics Eva thought; waiting for a reply.
Last edited by Eva on Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

The guard approached the chest carefully and knelt down pushing a couple of items to the side to see the various affects that Eva held within the chest. "Well this all seems pretty much in order." The guard tries his best to place things back the way they were and signals two fingers to the guard poking his head out the door.

Then he closed the chest back up, and sealed it with the clasp. "Sorry about this ma'am, can't be too careful these days. Jimbo here will carry your chest to the University of Magick and drop you off at the door. From there though you'll have to get your own way in." The guard smiled and raised his tablet and quill to make a couple small notes and then let it fall back to this side.

The guard only known to you as Jimbo, hoisted the chest easily and smiled amiably. He was younger, strong, and eager. "I know the way, I'll take you."

(OOC: Okay, Eva, you can go ahead and post in the Entrance thread to the University of Magick.)
Anaius Nyr

Post by Anaius Nyr »

Anaius strode with silent grace towards the great oaken gate, the oh so familiar scents of her long awaited city finally filling the gap the she had longed for, for far too learn. Her face was as official and calm as ever, but the joy swelling within her was more than abounding.

"Excuse me", she began, "my name is Anaius Nyr. I am a returning patron to fair Citadel, and documentation will claim me as a citizen of Dort. I am looking for work and lodging, but most importantly, I search for a house of scholars."

OOC: Got any libraries?
Last edited by Anaius Nyr on Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Anaius
The guard blinked, perhaps caught off guard by the presence or the precision of the woman who presented herself before him.
"Um... yes Miss... Nyr... patron? Are you a patrician or are you seeking work? I'll need you to be a bit more specific about your profession please."

(OOC: Welcome to Citadel. There are libraries aplenty! I'll be contacting you via PM with a few questions.)
Anaius Nyr

Post by Anaius Nyr »

"Oh, ofcourse sir, how terribly neglectful of me." a faint blush, and then back to business as usual. "I am an experienced scribe, and personal assisstant. I am knowledgeable in a plethora of generally useful areas and have found some success in secretarial services in the past."

Anaius' words were respectful and digified. Her statement particularly accentuated by a slight curtsy at the end of the sentence.
Last edited by Anaius Nyr on Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The guard jotted the information down on his record sheet. He clearly did not know where to fit Anaius in on his "How to behave" list. She wasn't nobility and likely wasn't wealthy. But she wasn't just a commoner either. The fact that she was well-mannered without pushing his face in it made him want to help her.

"We'll, ah, just put Scribe then... Let's see. It's probably late enough that some rooms have opened up at the Burpin' Dragon. The whole city's been packed the last few days: the Caesar's Engagement and yesterday's Tournament brought in a lot of folk."

He thought for a flicker, trying to dredge up what was likely obscure information.
"A house of scholars? The folk at the bard school are pretty smart. But if it's books you want, you might try the little shop nearby to it on Temple Lane. Can't remember the name. But I'd definitely see about the room first if I were you."

He then stepped aside to formally allow Anaius passage into the city.

OOC: I'd suggest posting next at theBurpin' Dragon. I'm waiting on some other player replies to set up the Repository for you. Of course, if you want to explore elsewhere just let me know. :)
Thais Aiden Ardiel

Thais Finally Arrives

Post by Thais Aiden Ardiel »

Pulling a medium chest along with him, walking backwards with his back to the Gates, Thais was not aware of the magnificent sight of the Oaken Gates which he was missing. He'd seen it from afar, once, when he had cast a glance behind him--or ahead?--to make sure he would not bump against anyone. He decided to look over his shoulder again as he insisted on dragging the chest with him where he went--such fine clothes were not to be had often!

What he first saw took his breath away and his mouth parted with an exhale of admiration for the beauty and awesome craftmanship that had undoubtedly been wrought upon these Gates. He let the chest drop gently at his feet, and turned completely around to behold the wonder. Something in him immediately knew he would love this place, whatever his fortunes were to be.

The scroll... His thoughts interrupted his awe. The scroll! Hastily he removed it from his backpack, and opened it wide to read it--this much he'd learned in the Abbey! "Master Marigold? Mistress Dearie?" He wondered aloud, "I have no clue who these people are..." But, again, his throughts told him he should trust he'd been sent here for this reason. Besides, it mentioned lodging. And the writing had been so finely done too, one could only suspect a learned hand had scribed these words with much care.

Looking up he noticed a guard by the gate, or was that a smaller gate? He was not sure, but he approached him cautiously nonetheless. Remembering his manners, he spoke politely and reverntly, "Excuse me, good sir. I've just arrived from a difficult and most tiring voyage from Dort. It is my first time here at the Citadel, and, if it were possible, I would appreciate to be allowed entrace?"

Thais always wondered why, when speaking to his elders--in whom he had been instilled to respect by his adoptive mother Amantha--his voice always sounded more childishly than he wished it to.
Last edited by Thais Aiden Ardiel on Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The gate guard frowned slightly.
"Well of course you want entry, most people do... I'll need some information: Name, Place of origin, your business in Citadel."

There came a grumble from behind as an old woman, intent on listening to her companion, bumped her shin against Thais's bulky storage chest.
Thais Aiden Ardiel

Thais was about to give informatin regarding himself to the guard when the lady bumped against his chest. He quickly spun around with a concerned look, "Madam! I am such a fool! Are you injured? I am so ashamed..." After insisting a few times on making sure the lady was not severely injured, which was met with resistance and scorn, he finally gave up and took hold of his chest in the ground, dragging it in front of himself so that no one else would encounter it unawares.

Then he turned to the guard, managing a smile despite being slightly more concerned than when he disembarked from the merchant's ship. "I am sorry, my carelessness caused all this trouble... My name is Thais Aiden Ardiel, from Dort. As for my business here at the Citadel, I am not quite sure myself, but I believe this will inform you better than I." He handed the guard the scroll of parchment he still held in his hand--the one talking about a certain Master Merigold from a Mistress Daerie, and mentioning lodgings. Thais hoped the guard would know who any of these people were....
Last edited by Thais Aiden Ardiel on Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The woman behind Thais was quite understanding.
"Oof! It's okay, lad. I should watch where I am going."
She then proceeded to berate her comapnion for not warning her about the obstacle, completely forgetting about Thais.

The guard chuckled at the scene. It was a familiar occurance, perhaps, with so many travelers coming and going.
The guard began writing down the young achadhiel's information...
"Thais... Dort.. What? Not sure of your own business? What's that?"
He took the letter from Thais and read it over.

"Why, this explains nothing, lad. Just an introduction to someone asking if they'd be kind enough to let you stay with them for a bit. I'll ask you again. What is the purpose of your visit to Citadel? I'm also going to have to inspect your goods."
Thais Aiden Ardiel

"I'm sorry, this is all so new to me--never really gone anywhere outside of Dort before..." Thais made up his mind and finally said in an attempt to look and sound as self possessed as possible, "I am looking to enter the University of Magic, if that's possible. I had hoped my host would instruct me as to how to accomplish this, but I do not know him. Do you? If not, how can I find out?"

He fished out the key to the lock on the chest. "And you may certainly inspect my belongings, good sir."

Post by Guest »

The guard spoke as he inspected Thais's belongings.
"Well, the University accepts all kinds of students. I guess you could apply there. I'm afraid I have no knowledge of a Master Marigold."
He finished up the search and gave the young man before him a long look.
"You seem a bit confused. Perhaps a bite to eat and some rest would do you some good, eh? Why don;t you head over to the Burpin' Dragon? It's nearby so you won't have to lug that chest all over the place. And it's a fair rate: although you do look like you can afford something fancier."

He gestured in a general direction to a section of the city that was topped with many tall spires.
"University town is that way. But, like I said: you may want to clear your head at the Dragon before you apply at any school."
he then gave Thais directions to the nearby Tavern before turning his attention to the next person at the gate.

(OOC: Please continue here. )

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”