The Oaken Gates to the Citadel

Moderator: Mods

Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

The Oaken Gates to the Citadel

Post by Guenhwyfar »

This splendid piece of work is the main gate of Citadel. Its dazzling grandeur awes most first-time visitors of the city, and the mere sight has repelled the plans of invading armies throughout history. Consisting of two massive oak doors dubbed the Oaken Gates by Citadel populace, the gates are well guarded indeed. Visitors arriving from the harbour and the surrouding Fields must pass through these main gates before they might enter the splendid city of Citadel and experience everything the city has to offer.

This great gate, an enormous construction of Seven Isle's sturdiest oak, stands between the grand city of Citadel and the plains around it. An iron drop gate hangs menacingly from above the Oaken Gate itself, ready to fall down in case the gates require additional fortification.

These enormous doors aren't usually open though, unless larger groups such as caravans or diplomatic envoys must pass. A smaller gate within the Oaken Gate itself, somewhat like a large door, can swing open to allow people in or out, and during daylight hours, it usually is open. This smaller gate can be closed at any time, and magically fuses into the rest of the Oaken Gate to once again create a nigh impenetrable barrier.
Last edited by Guenhwyfar on Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

OOC: Moved Callenaur's last post here from the old gate thread :)

<hr>

Callenaur listened to the gaurd respectivley... noticing his simple language use. I wonder if all people are this kind in Citadel the elf wondered?

The young Taur'Quessir's ears shot up at the directions to the university... soaking it in, as to not miss a single part. I really wouldn't want to get lost here!

As to the gaurd's obbservation about his language barrier, "Yes, I understand. This one does not mean to brag, however, this one is very fond of languages. And I personally enjoy your human language... I believe that as long as I take the time, I should be able to manage. But, if all else fails, this one has heard this city abounds with skills and professions... I think I'll manage." All the while a faint smilled played on Callenaur's face. He found this new and interesting language pleasing to his tongue.

OOC:Thanks! Do I now find a new thread at the UoM? Or do I walk away? Or do you still have something to say to me? Whatever, it is this game sure is fun!

Post by Guest »

Aldym strode up to the gate and into queue with those waiting to be checked into the Citadel. He concentrated on not lying to the guard as he approached - it wasn't like he'd used his real name much for the last five years anyhow,

"Aldym Zorastyl, former of Dort. I wonder if you could direct me to the University of Magic?"
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Samheen 15th, 3rd mark of Tradetide

The traffic was bustling all around Aldym as he approached the Guards at the Gate. His hail was returned by a free Guard who quickly jotted notes on his slate.

"Welcome," the smartly groomed Guard said simply. "Aldym Zorastyl, former of Dort," he then repeated as he noted this on his slate.

"Yes, of course, the University," the Guard went on, looking up from his writings. He gave the young man directions that flowed so readily from him as to make it obvious that the Guard must have given them to scores of newcomers to the Citadel. "You should still be able to get there before the offices close today."

With that brief encounter, the Guard waved the young man through the small opening in the much larger Gate.

((OOC: Welcome to Citadel, and please feel free to continue here.))
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Inanimat

Post by Inanimat »

Inanimat had been walking for a very long time while staring blankly at the ground. He was thinking about life and where he was going and what he was doing. Suddenly he walked into shade even though he was sure there weren't very many trees around. He had walked into the shade of the Oaken Gates. It was so large and marvelous he almost stopped in his tracks to admire it.
<p>He wanted to drop all his things and run to the gates, but he didn't think the guards would welcome such a crazy person. Then he started a slow pace looking at the ground again, then thought the guards would think he was a thief or some other crazy outlaw. So, he walked as normal as possible and stared straight at one of the guards. He thought this one was the one he should talk to.
<p>It was a very busy day and it was tradetide, so that was expected. None the less Inanimat was very surprised because it went from quiet to noisy and bustling within a minute. As Inanimat approached the gates he almost spoke Elvish to the guards. Instead he focused on remembering what the Human had taught him. "I am Inanimat, I come from far away and would like to trade or take refuge in the Citadel" said Inanimat not very clearly. He spoke slow but his smile never faded and it was clear he was trying to be friendly, at least he hoped so.

Post by Guest »

*INANIMAT*
The guard looked up at the smiling wood elf and smiled in return, more so at the clumsy use of the human language.

"Inanimat, trade and refuge", he spoke to himself as he wrote these and other things down on paper.

The guard looked up at Inanimate once more, "Welcome to the citadel Inanimat, may your stay be all you hope. This is your pass, please do not lose it", then handing the paper he had been writing on over to him.

"As for Trade, well there are places here for that, perhaps the market when it opens. However I suggest for now you make your way to the local Inn, the Burping Dragon. Good Food and a bed can be found there, perhaps even your trade or whatever your interested in".

The guard realising that perhaps Inanimat may not have understood everything just said, wrote some more on another piece of paper".

Handing this to Inanimat he spoke slowly, clearly and simply, "Follow map, Go here, Refuge here", then waved him towards the door into the Citadel itself.

OOC:
Welcome to the Citadel, please continue at the Burpin Dragon Inn here... https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=11
Inanimat

Post by Inanimat »

Inanimat, not sure on the exact traditions of the Humans, bowed and said his thanks. He then proceeded to bow to each guard in turn and smiled as he was sure the Mistress of the Leaves had preordained this path long ago. It was tradetide on Samheen 15th and Inanimat was one happy Wood Elf. Upon stepping through a small door within the large oaken gate, that he had previously not noticed, Inanimat was welcomed by new smells and sounds of traders and various languages spoken by various races. Still holding the piece of paper in his hand, Inanimat slipped it into a pocket and stepped into the Citadel with a small smile and a low head.
Last edited by Inanimat on Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

"Alms for the needy?"

The scruffy looking beggar inquired from a passerby in a hurry to escape the rain, his bare forearm stretched out from under his black cloak, which he held tightly with his spare hand. He was apparently ignored as the gentleman(Or maiden; it was hard to tell in his current situation) who continued to rush by. The young man's outstretched arm continued to follow his(or her) direction until the potential "customer" was out of reach. With a sigh, Maximilian pushed a soaked lock of messy brown hair from his face, and shouted with a smile,
"And a good day to you as well, sir."
Looking up into the cloudy sky, he opened his mouth slightly, allowing a few droplets of rain into his mouth, wetting his throat.
"...Or madam?" He mumbled. "Fifth person so far. Nobody's going to stop to give a guy like me some change in this nasty weather." the soaked vagabond thought to himself, "Can't even read without getting the pages wet. I really need to get out of this rain..."

Idly wandering towards the oaken gates, he sighed again,
"I guess if the guards are going to let a guy like me in at all, now's the best time..."

Whipping his hair from his face, Maximilian approached a guard, raising a hand as if to request attention from his cloak, heavy with rain.

"Hey big guy? You think you could let me in or direct me to someplace that'll get me out of this rain? It's wetter than Pan's eyebrows on a foggy day out here..."[/i]
Drune

Post by Drune »

Drune walks steadily to the gate, hardly glancing up at it, as if it was no more than a farmhouse door. He slogs along the road in the rain, bundles of dried herbs tied to his staff and hanging off his back along with a pot, skillet and various cooks implements. Water drips off the brim of his hat and runs down his woolen cloak. More bundles of herbs, the ones that should stay dry, lay under the cloak giving Drune a lumpy, almost misshapen look. When he finally makes his way to the guard station and faces the guard, His voice cracks for a moment. It is the first he has spoken in nigh a week.

"Dru.. Drune, of Dort. I am looking for work, I can cook and do simple healing." He states the words matter of factly, looking the guard square in the eyes.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Maximillian

The guard ran a hand through dark hair sprinkled with silver and droned the now habitual name, nationality and reason for enterting the city without looking up. That would come after he jotted down the required information. However, the big guy comment elicted a raised brow along with a raised head. You'd think folks wantin' in the city and havin' ta get past me ta do so, would be more... careful, he thought as he scratched an ear and studied Maximillian for a few flickers, trying to read the character behind the comment. Was this just a wise guy who'd spent too many days aboard a ship or a troublemaker?

"Aye, I could do a good many things lad, includin' lettin' ya inta the city and directin' ya to a fair priced inn, but you've not answered my questions, now have ya?" he smiled benignly.

"Name, place o' origin and your reason for comin' ta the city?" he repeated himself slowly, enunciating carefully.

<HR>
Drune

It was his first day at the gates and eager to make a good impression, he spoke up and acted interested in each traveler that came through the gates, his face animated and smiling as he welcomed the next entrant.

"Welcome to the Citadel sir," he greeted Drune, his voice betraying still a bit of nervousness and uncertainty.

"Drune," the young guard penned carefully into his ledger and then onto a small card, followed by the word WORK.

"I'd a thought work'd be more plentious in Dort. Then again, we've our share of taverns and inns. You might try the Burpin' Dragon," the fairhaired guard leaned in, adding in a whisper, "I'd stay clear of the sidhe place. Heard scary tales of what happens to folks that work at that tavern. Same with the Basilisk's Stare," the young man shuddered as he handed Drune his pass into the city giving him directions to the Burpin' Dragon.

"Be certain to keep your pass with you at all times lest you find yourself tossed into the dungeon as a miscreant," he smiled and nodded.

"Good luck finding a job," he added as he waved the young man through.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

"Hi! I'm from the Oracles isle but I ran away as an accomplice to a practitioner of Dark Magick! I snuck on a merchant vessel and the only thing I have to offer is ten banner and the ability to read. But can you let me in anyway?"

Not exactly your ideal application to entering a city. The notion of having to explain himself is what left him waiting at a safe distance from the gates for so long. Apparently guards didn't have any sympathy for being stuck in the rain.

"It figures, though..." Maximilian thought to himself, "When you're standing in one place no matter what the weather, I guess my condition means about as much to him as one of K'tans nosehairs."

"Maximilian." He said, clearing his throat slightly in an attempt to buy some time without looking desperate. He doubted his story had gotten past the Oracles isle, and even if it had, Franz's actions were likely to overshadow his own, so he assumed it was safe to use his own name. The young man looked into his satchel under his cloak, as if looking for an occupation he could pass for, and obviously, the only thing he could see were his books.
"I'm, ahh... A scholar." He stated, coughing slightly into his hand as he did, "From the Worlds Mouth." he continued, recalling the city from the book of fiction he brought with him from the temple. "I'm here because I was told you have an amazing University. I guess I should have said that from the beginning, but... You know, my books are going to get wet, so I'm kinda in a hurry."

"I sure hope he buys it." the runaway contemplated, fully aware that the University of Magic was the only thing he actually knew to exist in the city...[/i]
Drune

Post by Drune »

Drune thanked the young guard, "Much appriciated", tucked the pass into his satchel and set out to find the Burpin' Dragon. I'll have to find out more about this sidhe place and the Basilisk's Stare.

He walks down the street following the guards directions, oblivious to most things, but on occasion stopping to look at a puddle of water, a wizined face, some debris in the wind, trying to divine the true nature of such things.

Finally, at the Inn, Drune walks in, and gives his eyes a chance to adjust. Looking around for the proprieter, he spots a likely candidate.

"Excuse me, are you the owner? I am called Drune, I can cook a little, and have some small skill at healing, I am looking for work". Drunes tone is flat and emotionless, as usual.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: Drune: I am sorry... I neglected to tell you that you will continue your story at the Burpin Dragon in a different thread. I have put up one for the 16th: Early Tradetide. If you will post there someone will pick you up. :D

<HR>
Maximillian

Eyebrow raised once again at the young man's claim to scholarship, the veteran guard gave the newcomer another overall glance.

"Scholar is it?" he repeated, not at all sure the youth was telling him the truth as he picked up a parchment nearby and scanned the names of known miscreants on the list. Not that most rogues on the list would be good enough to give their names, but some youngsters like this didn't even know they were on a list yet. Still, mages or those who wanted to be mages were often a bit.. peculiar in actions as well as in appearance.

Finding no Maximillian or anything even close, the guard snorted and began to quickly enter the information Maximillian had provided into the ledger, duplicating his efforts on a card he handed to the lad.

"The city's constructed in rings. Ye'll find the university in the second ring, big white buildin', can't miss it," he explained as he handed over the pass.

"Keep this with ya at all times lad and good luck t'ya," he nodded and waved the young man through the gates.

"Name, place o' origin and reason fer bein' in the Citadel?" he droned without looking up at the next person in line.

OOC: You may proceed to the Uni of Magic or to the Burpin Dragon if you'd prefer. If you do intend to attend the UofM, please alert the moderators there in the OOC thread in that forum. :D
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

"He bought it..." Maximilian stared at the pass held out to him for a moment, in shock that he was actually permitted to enter. Quickly snapping out of it and snatching the pass from the guard he nodded.
"M-much obliged, sir." He said as he began to walk through the gates. Turning around to shout something to the guard, one of his jovial custom proverbs about the gods was on the tip of his tongue, when he quickly remembered the guise he had taken, and instead spoke one of the lines from his book,
"Ah, and the One be with you." He said, nodding slightly before rushing into the city, hoping to get out of the rain as quickly as possible, he headed in the general direction the guard had given him, towards the University of Magic.
Gedriwyn Sylvar

Post by Gedriwyn Sylvar »

The rhythmic sound of hooves pounding upon the beaten stone road was focused to the background as slow movements brought the golden haired clansman to his feet. Eyes of the most brilliant emerald twinkled in the morning rays of light as those orbs scanned the gates of the city that stood before him. Never had he seen such a sight that now took his breath away and forced him to do naught but stand in awe. Before him rose the most splendid piece of work he had ever seen created for a city, and that was the main gate of Citadel. The tales of this place dazzling first time visitors was true it would seem and the clansman that now approached those massive oak doors called the Oaken Gates could see why.

Gedriwyn, an aspiring merchant from Isley in Dort, could not help but pause to wonder on the splendor that was before him. He looked upon those doors and noted that they were not going to be opened for the small amount of people that traveled toward the great city this day. He had to give a sigh for seeing such a sight as those grand doors opening, allowing a spectacular view of the city within would create for him such a memorable moment that he would not wish to enter the city until those gates once more withdrew and took with them the view that paralyzed.

Emerald Orbs wandered down over the gates and noted the smaller gate; this one would be the entrance to this city that Gedriwyn would take this day; his horse, his cart and himself. Finally pulled from his flight of wonder he turns, gazing down at his meager possessions. A horse, a small wagon and a chest filled with traveling equipment and essentials that he would need both in the city and whilst traveling. The gaze moved from that chest to look down upon himself, he wore a clean shirt for this special occasion of entering his new home. A pale green loose cloth shirt, unbuttoned to expose most of his well tanned and muscled chest. The doublet made of fine leather was left open; it was neither cold enough nor windy enough for that piece of clothing to be worn properly. The pair of light brown leather breeches was tight against his legs, moving downward to end within the mid-calf high, waterproofed, dark brown leather boots.

He sat back down upon the wooden seat of the small wagon, grunting as the sheath of his dagger pokes into his ribs. With a quick movement of the hand he swats the sheath, freeing it and allowing him some comfort. Glancing down momentarily at the cloak that rested upon the seat next to him, he would don that piece of clothing once he was within this fine city.

Urging his draft horse along with a few quick flicks of the reigns he put on his best smile and open expression; inclining his head to the guards, before stopping and waiting to be allowed through the small gate and into the city of his future. He made sure to greet the guards with a friendly, warm tone.

"Greetings gentlemen. How do you all fare this wonderful day." He moved to the edge seat of the wagon so that he could chat with the guards easily and not have to turn much in his seat should they wish to search his near empty wagon.
Lathaniel Tomassi

The Arrival of a Countryboy

Post by Lathaniel Tomassi »

Samheen 16th (time flexible to suit GM)

The journey from the small insignificant town somewhere in Dort, a place few people would ever have heard of and even fewer spoken of, had been tinged with fear and spurred on by excitement. Each sight had been more breath-taking than the last, each place he had passed through had inspired him more than the last. But nothing had yet come close to the feeling sweeping over Lathaniel as his eyes explored the great oaken gates of the citadel. The mere imposing size of them was unlike anything he had witnessed before in his life.

His eyes dropping to the smaller door within the gate that would be used for his own entrance he wondered at what occasions those gates ever swung open, and how many men it might take. If men alone were strong enough that was.

Not able to tear his eyes away from the imposing gates Lathaniel drew closer half expecting someone to question him as he entered.
Omni Varuna

Post by Omni Varuna »

People could be seen making their way to the guards in front of the magnificent gate that was the entrance to Citadel. Omni found a smug smile on his face as he too, began making his way to the gate. "Hello sir. Omni Varuna of Kislovan. I've come to pursue a career in politics. Would you perhaps know who I might need to talk too?"
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Samheen 16th, Mid-Morningtide

"Welcome. State yer name, where yer from and yer business here," a tall, burly Guard hailed Gedriwyn in a deep baritone as he approached the Gates with his small wagon. The Guard gave the wagon a quick look and then, with an expression of half interest, waited for the aspiring merchant to reply.

At the same time and only a few paces away, another Guard, shorter and thinner, with distinctly half-elven features, called out a greeting to Lathaniel, with a ready slate in one hand and quill in the other to take down the young man's response to his routine challenge of, "Name, origin and business in the Citadel?"

As Maximilian continued on his way, the Guard who had interviewed him droned on his standard, "Name, place o' origin and reason fer bein' in the Citadel?" without looking up at the next person in line. That person happened to be Omni, whose prompt reply was noted word for word on the Guard's slate, until the man enquired about a career in politics. Suddenly, the Guard looked up to gaze at the new arrival with a look of puzzlement on his plain features.

"Politics, is it?" he asked. Clearly this was not a common answer, but the Guard dutifully returned to recording this on his slate and then on a small card, which he handed to Omni. "Well," he went on thoughtfully, obviously challenged for an answer. "I s'pose you'd want t' go t' the Palace," he finally settled on as an appropriate answer. The Guard gave the young man directions to the Palace, not hard to find, considering it sat at the heart of the Citadel with it's tower forming the city's highest point.

"Good fortune wi' that, Mr. Varuna," the Guard said in parting, this time actually pausing before rattling off his standard phrase to the next new arrival in line.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Lathaniel Tomassi

Smiling, for he was happy to have arrived safely and even more so by what he saw, the young lad rose his hand in greeting to the guard. “Lathaniel. Lathaniel Tomassi of Dort. I come in the hope of earning myself a valuable commission as a bard here in this fine citadel.” Tapping the small harp tucked neatly under one arm he flashed an impish smile at the guard. “I’ve heard that all the finest things are appreciated here, so naturally I wished to share my unique talents with those in possession of the most appreciative ears.”
Gedriwyn Sylvar

"My name be Gedriwyn Sylvar, I'm from Dort and I am here to trade hopefully.Well, to buy some goods with which to trade. I am aspiring to be a merchant you see. Do you mind pointing a new comer to your city in the direction of a cheap tavern and the merchant district or some such area that trade is best sort? I would be most appreciative if you could." Those emerald orbs moved to scan the crowd around them. "Your doing an upstanding job here if I do say so myself, it is a great delight to see such dedicated men and women working for the betterment of peace and prosperity." Gedriwyn gave a firm nod to accompany the sincerity of his words before he smiled again and waited for the guards directions and permission to enter the fabled city of Citadel.

Post by Guest »

"Trade, you say, Mr. Sylvar," asked the burly guard in his baritone voice. "There's the Imperial Trading Guild in the Inner City, of course. Warehouse district." He proceeded to give a few directions Gedriwyn. "If you get lost, just ask someone," he added in the end. "Naturally, there's always the Palace itself as well. They always need young aspiring men like you." The guard smiled blandly, as if he wasn't really sure whether he liked the prospect of a horde of young merchants meddling in the Citadel economy.

"Anyhow, you can't miss it, in the heart of the city, it is. As for a tavern, the Burpin Dragon is a good bet, although ol' Bill the Dwarf is always grumpy." The burly guard gave a small laugh before spelling out some directions to the inn as well. "Good fortune, Mr. Sylvar," he said, and motioned for Gedriwyn to enter his destination. The sprawling Citadel.

Meanwhile the Achadhiel guard attending Lathaniel wrote down the information he was provided with in a fine hand. "Mr. Tomassi, Dort, bardic arts. Indeed..." He glanced up at Lathaniel. "The Bardic College is the place for you then, sir. It lies close to the Temple Lane..." In a burn, Lathaniel had it all spelled out from the thin guard. "There's also the Palace then, sir, perhaps they might need a bard." The half-elven guard gave a smile at the newcomer. "It's hard to miss."

The majesty of the Caesar's palace was partly visible even from the Oaken Gates. The magnificent tower appearing over the countless roofs of the great city standing out like a sole tree would in a meadow. "Good luck and take care," said the guard as he gestured for Lathaniel to enter, turning to the next in line.
Gedriwyn Sylvar

The broad shouldered young merchant's eyes widened as he hear that the palace was looking for young men like himself. Immediately his mouth curved into a slightly brighter and more pronounced smile. The guard would obviously be able to see that his words had greatly effected the young newcomer.

"Thank you immencely! I shall inquire at the Imperial Trade Guild and the Palace before seeing to the Tavern. You have been a great help and I hope that fortune comes to you for your help." Sliding back to the center of the chair he flicked the reigns, giving the signal for his draft horse to move forward. The beast, not moving after the first flick, moved when the next was a little harder, jolting forward quickly, sending Gedriwyn temporarily off balance backwards before he righted himself, grunted and inclined to the guard. "Farewell. I do hope we shall meet again, good sir." the merchant waved to the guard and moved through the gates heading toward the Palace at the great city's heart.
Lathaniel Tomassi

Heaving the sack containing all he possessed up over his shoulder Lathaniel thanked the guard with a beaming smile before setting off. He had a Bardic college to uncover and investigate under advice from the guard. With a hearty wave he set off following the instructions he had just been given.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

OOC: I'll be taking over the Oaken Gates, just so future players entering the Citadel know. :P
Nina Cassel

Post by Nina Cassel »

She hurt.

Leaning heavily on her staff, Nina limped towards the enormous gates. Under any other circumstances, she would have been fascinated with such a construction, and full of questions of who, when, why and how... but right now, she was hurting too much for her to have the energy to spare. Perhaps she would come back another time to study the gates more closely. She wasn't used to carrying all her belongings like this, and her knees and feet were paying the price. Hopefully she wouldn't have to walk much further to get to the University.

As she reached the guards, the young woman swung her satchel down to the ground at her feet with a groan, then rubbed at her shoulder where the strap had rested. There was no point in carrying her things when she wasn't moving forward. She had never realized before how heavy books could be, when you had to carry them more than a few paces.

Still letting the staff take a good bit of her weight, she smiled weakly at the nearest guard. "Hello. What do you need to know before you can let me into the city?"

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”