The Oaken Gates to the Citadel

Moderator: Mods

Anarión Herunna

Post by Anarión Herunna »

Salariel Nimuni

OOC: Welcome to Tazlure. We'll make this an enjoyable adventure for you. Don't mind the harsh sentry though. :D

IC: The busy sentry nodded to Salariel while he pushed another newcomer forward. The push sent the man down, and his bag of apples running. Apples skittered across the stone laid road and children jumped at the opportunity to a free meal. Jumping up, cursing, the male gathered what was still there and turned his back against the crowd entering the city.

Turning his attention to Salariel, the sentry angled his head measuring her from head to toe. He smirked and nodded amusedly.

"Well, if you want me to help you, why don't you start by stating your name. If you would like to enter the Citadel?" The sentry mocked. He ran a hand through his hair. His journal rested easily under his arm, and he held the ink covered feather in his left hand.
Anarión Herunna

Morgan Scrylock

OOC: Welcome to Tazlure. For you too, we'll create an exciting adventure. If either of you have questions don't hesitate to PM me or the mods.

IC: The line slowly progressed forward. Morgan was approaced by several merchants wanting to sell him Tazlurian goods. It was food, fruit and smaller items. A particular merchant was extra demanding and unwilling to leave Morgan or the others in the line to themselves. He had introduced himself, Hyman, and was selling small creatures carved in lumber.

"Come, come, buy what you like. Magnificent handcarved. Animals, heroes and heroines, whatever you want I have it right here," he proclaimed boldly. Squinting his eyes, he stared up and down the line for prospects with ready money to buy his figures.

He carried a tray with his small items lined up.

Finally Morgan reached the gate and was greeted by a sentry. An ugly male with black - greasy - hair framing a scarred face. His uniform was in crimson and blue and his shiny plate glimmered in the sun.

"Name, occupation and intention of you stay in the Citadel. And hurry up, man, we don't have all day."
Salariel Nimuni

Post by Salariel Nimuni »

Salariel was shocked but intrigued by the attractive sentry. She smiled at him seductively, making his pulse race.

"Hi, I'm Salariel," she said in her sultriest voice. "Salariel Nimuni."

The sentry looked her up and down appreciatively. Obviously she'd won over yet another man. She wondered how long it would be before he asked her to dinner.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan maintained a stony silence as the merchant moved down the line, stiffening at his approach, the corner of his mouth curling down in distaste. If there were any justice in this world, he thought, people like him wouldn't be able to eke out a living from such banalities. Leech.

He smirked at the guard's unnecessarily brusque greeting, glancing briefly across at the dark-haired girl, who seemed to have encountered an equally unhelpful sentry. A welcoming place, our great capital, isn't it?

"Morgan Scrylock, currently unemployed," he stated tersely, sweeping off his hat and giving the sentry a small, almost mocking, bow. "Seeking an education, of sorts."
Anarión Herunna

Salariel Nimuni

The middle-aged sentry scribbled a single line in his journal, 'Salariel Nimuni'. The thin lips of the guard parted as he wrote her name, spelling to himself the name. His greyish hair framed a fatigued and wrinkled facade and his green eyes watched Salariel smile at him. He then proceeded to measure the newcomer from head to toe, uncertain of her intentions. Ignoring her attempt to seduce him, his hand rested uneasily on the hilt of his sword.

"Salariel Nimuni," the male mumbled.

"Well, I need your intention of stay to let you in. What do you plan to do in the Citadel?" He tilted his head, straigthening his helmet and rubbing his left hand with the quill against his metal plate covering his chest and abdomen.
Anarión Herunna

Morgan Scrylock

"Welcome to the Citadel then Morgan," the hideous sentry responded and smirked. Showing his four dentals, a child not far behind in the line began to cry hysterically. Her family tried to calm their child, but failing miserably the parents instead angered the sentry. He turned his attention away from Morgan and to the line.

"Shut up behind there. Get that kid under control or I'll do it for you," he laid his hand on the hilt of his sword and drew it an inch out to show the glimmering metal. The sun shone on the metal and it sparkled red, yellow and green. Laughing amusedly, he let his sword slide back into its place.

He scribbled the name 'Morgan Skrylokk' in his journal constantly dipping his quill in an ink well hanging by his belt. Then he added 'unemployed' and 'seeking education'.

"I would suggest the Bardic College or the University of Magick if you be wantin' an education. And the Burpin Dragon if you need to hire a room, although you will be offered housing at both the schools. I think. Go ahead through," the sentry finished and continued to the next group in the line to record their arrival.

OOC: You can enter either of the listed places. The Bardic College, the University of Magick or the Burpin Dragon. Having read your charactersheet, I would suggest you post in the the University of Magick, but it is your choice. :D
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan frowned as the guard threatened the child's parents. So unnecessary, he commented mentally. Still, I suppose a nobody like this guard here needs to exert authority on someone, somewhere, even just by threat of physical violence. I just pray I never end up in a situation where I have no better cards in my hand. "Thanks," he said curtly, returning his hat to his head.

He was roughly jostled through the gates by the press of the crowd, and as he turned away he sent a fleeting smile the way of the dark-haired beauty. He idly wondered if he'd see her again. The Citadel was a big place, and pretty girls were a rare commodity.

Smiling wryly, Morgan stepped into the shadow of the gates, out of the main thoroughfare, and quickly surveyed the horizon. This done, he headed off in the direction of what he assumed was the University of Magick.

Amalia at the Gates

Post by Guest »

Leaving the familiarity of Dort far behind her, Amalia approached the imposing gates of the Citadel with a sense of immense anticipation. The task she had set out for herself was one that few people could achieve (or so she firmly believed), failure simply was not an option. When you thought about it, she reflected, her whole reputation lay in the balance here. Failure simply was not an option.

With head held high, proud and erect, she drew closer to the gates and the guards that seemed to vet every new arrival. Offering a flirtatious smile (born of habit more than anything else) she took a step closer to the nearest guard.

“Everything is in order I take it?” she uttered fixing her wide blue eyes on his. The sooner she was within the citadel itself the sooner she could begin formulating plans regarding a reversal of fortunes.
Anarión Herunna

OOC: Sorry about the delay. Don't really know if I am still covering these gates, but no worries. WELCOME TO TAZLURE! :D

IC: The closest sentry snorted. He stared appraisingly at the newcomer and charted a few details in the journal. Closing it, he waved to another man in uniform standing not too far away. The other sentry reacted immediately and hurried over to the pair.

"Done for the day, woman. Haral here will take care of your business," the man she had first approached took his journal and halberd with him stuffing them under his arm. Then he walked away to leave the new sentry to handle the situation. Haral was a willowy male dressed in the customary uniform of the guards. His green eyes darted nervously from the ground to her face. Behind Amalia a line of waiting men and woman began to form. Some waited paitiently, while others were not so willing to hold back.

Haral opened his own journal and scribbled a few notes quickly before he turned his attention to Amalia.

"Name, occupation and intention of your visit here, mylady?!"

Post by Guest »

OOC: Thanks, I’m sure you’ll get brownie points for dropping by to help. :)

IC: As first impressions went Amalia was not overly impressed by the nonchalant attitude of the first guard to address her. Woman indeed! She had half a mind to follow the man and demand some show of respect and perhaps if he were not on the gates, and didn’t have the power to bar her entry she may well have done.

The one taking his place was somewhat of an improvement anyway, nervousness was not something she liked to see. It was a sign of weakness. But at this moment she valued nervousness over abrupt rudeness.

“My name is Amalia san Hoope of Dort.” Fixing her eyes steadily on the nervous willowy guard she half dared him to look away. “I am here on behalf of my father to assess any business opportunities that might warrant any expansion of his trade routes in this area. That, I trust, explains both my occupation and intentions here.” It was the first time she had ever actually claimed to have an occupation rather than simply claiming to be a lady of leisure. The words, when she heard them, sounded suitably exciting and different as to set the small hairs on the back of her neck tingling.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: After Amalia this thread will be covered by Eira.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Anarión Herunna

OOC: Brownie, you say? I wish. All I get at the end of the day are a glass of water and a bowl hot soup; or perhaps the whip! Tazlure doesn't pay very well... :lol:

IC: "Yes, yes, yes. Yes," the sentry nodded and carefully noted the information given to him. Finally he threw a fistful of sand over the inscription and turned the page on in the journal where he kept the record of comings and goings in the city. He nodded mutily again shuffling his feet apprihensivly. The man lowered his head and reread the lines on the page and seemed satisfied when he raised head.

Behind him the line was only getting more and more lengthy. There were mumbled curses and pushing and shoving occured among the impatient newcomers.

Another sentry came to releave the man accepting the statement of Amalia and the file behind her. Now the line began to move swiftly and several newcomers passed Amalia before her sentry even began to speak again. He obviously took his job very seriously.

"Well, well, Amalia san Hoope. Welcome to the Citadel. Might I inquire where you will be staying during your visit here?" Haral demanded of her. He had his hand ready to chart down her answer, and if Amalia turned her head she would she that the entire line had abandoned her for the other guard.

OOC: Sorry. You got the serious guard. Might I suggest the Burpin Dragon? It is such a lovely place to begin an adventure. I will also alert the mods of your arrival.

Post by Guest »

While it seemed that the guard did everything in painfully slow motion she suspected she knew the reason why. It could be nothing more than a stalling contact, or so she assumed, so he could spend a little more time in her company to brighten his otherwise monotonous and tedious day. The other guard seemed do be flying though the queue of people looking to gain admittance.

Which undoubtedly was why he was now trying to ascertain her address, though his demanding tone was most uncalled for. From dealings earlier in life she knew it did best not to upset guards and if her presence meant so much to him then so be it. A pity he was shy though, what with all the foot shuffling and downward glances, or she might have had some sport there.

“I don’t have anything pre-arranged, but I was given the name of the Burpin Dragon as an initial stopover until I can secure something more permanent. I suppose I shall stay there if they have room. Is it a place you would recommend also Mr …?”

OOC: Not to worry, we have one with a bit of a princess complex here anyway. Its all good fun. And thanks for the tip. ;)
Anarión Herunna

OOC: Princess complex. . . LOL! :lol: You may post in here. Good luck!

IC: "Yes, Amalia san Hoope. The tavern is a kind place. I am sure you will enjoy your stay there very much. I know them to treat their guests very nicely. Haral is my name. Perhaps our paths will cross again then; if you will be staying at the Burpin Dragon," the sentry admitted and lowered his gazed to the ground. He shuffled his feet, and his face lit up. Toying with the pen, he leveled his eyes with hers pursing his lip.

"Move along now. Into the city. Perhaps I will seek your company, Amalia san Hoope," Haral replied formally. He smiled and gritted his pale white teeth in an pretty smirk.

An old couple moved from the long line to Haral waiting behind the young woman to be accepted into the Citadel by the sentry. The pair waited patiently hand-in-hand for it to be their turn with Haral.

Post by Guest »

Fixing the guard and looking him straight in the eye Amalia smiled as she uttered, “I’m sure we will.” With that parting comment she set off to find the inn in the hope of renting herself a small piece of privacy.

OOC: Thanks for a lovely introduction to Tazlure.
Ash Payne

Post by Ash Payne »

It was a beatiful day, een Ash realized that, but it meant so little to him. Once he might have find a solace of sorts in days like this, as they would have reminded him of the beauty of the world in his bleak existance, but now even that failed to give him a cause to think of the world as having any justice or goodness in it.

He stood in the line, his clothes barely containing his muscular torso, as instinctively his eyes wondered from person to person, assessing them. So many battles had given him the ability to see when somebody could have held a threat towards him, although it had been an eternity since one such as that had crossed his path. He strecthed his fingers, always ready to grap the large blade from his back or swing the quarterstaff that so looked only a normal walking staff.

Finally the line moved forward and it was his moment to stand before the guards of the gate. Ignoring their stares filled with fear, he simply grunted his matter.

"Ash Payne." They might have regocnized the name, but he was not one to hide his identity. "Entering Citadel."

Post by Guest »

Ash Payne

The Oaken Gates were busy, a bustle of people arranged into what was a loosely organised line, all waiting to be granted entrance into the city proper. Even if beauty was not in the mind of the half elf, it was certainly in the thoughts of some who chose to glance at him sidelong through wide and watchful eyes. A doe-eyed girl carrying a basket full of brightly coloured fruits. A flaxen-haired young woman holding to the reins of a beautiful brown mare. The achadhiel’s good looks were duly noted, and in an appreciative way, even if Ash did not much care for these people’s attentions.

“Ash Payne…” The guardsman inked the newcomer’s name into his journal without the slightest degree of relish as the half elf came to the front of the queue. His voice held a level of interest barely above that of a monotonous drone, although he did manage to perk up somewhat at the other’s comment about entering the city.

“Well, obviously that would be the case, otherwise you wouldn’t be here standing before me now, would you? Which begs the question of what your intentions are here in the city.”

Smirking at his own jest, the guard did not look up from his ledger once as he spoke, although he did finish on a note which suggested that he was expecting some kind of response from Ash. Mainly, why he wanted to enter Citadel, and what his plans would be should he be granted entry. Already, the sounds of life coming from beyond the city gates were reaching the achadhiel’s ears, a cheerful cacophony which had its roots in the heart of the Herald Circle. With luck, it would only take but another flicker or so of Ash’s time before he was permitted to pass, and to encircle himself in that self-same joviality lying within.

OOC: Welcome to Tazlure! :)
Ash Payne

Post by Ash Payne »

"My intentions? Mine." He swept a strand of hair from his eyes, not even bothering to notice the adoring gazes. Nothing he had not felt before. Nothing he cared about. Another guard who knew nothing of true battle, it was so clear just by looking at him and his empty jokes. "I'm here on personal business." Scratching his throat he glanced behind him, the veins on his trunk-like hands pulsating almost visibly. Always ready for battle, there was no other way of life granted to him, unlike these here who had grown to take such things for granted. What fools they were.

The joviality was only a distraction to him, no, less than that. Something that was happening to others far away. Where he would tread here, joy would be long forgotten. He breathed slowly and calmly as he looked at the guard, waiting for him to step aside.

Post by Guest »

Ash Payne

“Yours, eh?”

The guard fixed Ash with a disapproving stare at that, although he still made to jot down some notes onto his papers nevertheless. Obviously there would be visitors coming to Citadel who would rather keep their business and intentions to themselves, but at least none of them had put themselves forwards as being quite so rude. Whilst he was not about to pry into the achadhiel’s reasons for being here, he was certain that, in all his yahren serving as a guard in service of the rocky island city, he had never met someone quite as unforthcoming as this. Still, he supposed it was good to know that everyone was different; variety was the spice of life, after all, even if he did not find it particularly stimulating in this instance.

“Well, go on through then- just be sure you don’t go causing any trouble, alright? If you’ve got nowhere to stay I’d suggest heading over to the Burpin Dragon, unless you have something else in mind, that is?”

If he did, then the guard would be happy to give him directions to wherever it was that he wanted to go. Happy in the sense that he would feel compelled to, at least, and not because he would be ecstatically thrilled at doing so. Looking to the achadhiel with an expectant gaze, the guard would either step away in order to permit the other man to enter, or make to answer any other questions he might have had; whichever happened to be the most relevant, really.

OOC: OK, feel free to post here if you wish. If you want to head somewhere else next, then feel free to ask the guard and I’m sure he’ll give you directions. ;) Have fun!
Ash Payne

Post by Ash Payne »

Ash glanced at the sky, keeping his breath steady as always, his eyes searching for an attack eevn from above there. Never a moment of rest, never a change to let one's guard down. This was the life he lived.

"Where's-" It was only a breeze in the air, but it was enough for him to notice. His nimble fingers, with knowledge gained through a hard life, grasped the wrist and in a swift motion turned it so that there was a painful snap. He did not use his staff to break the thief's shoulder, he was feeling merciful here among the guards.

Pushing the figure towards the guard he looked him in the eye, not seeing the steel there. They allowed all kinds here to be responsible for the safety of people, pitiful.

"Look after your rats here. So, where's the dock?"

Post by Guest »

Reikos Carns, a young achadhiel of Dortenese proveniance, repositioned the backpack straps that cut into his armits and made a face. There were drops of sweat prickling at the back of his neck, creating a tickling sensation that Reikos didn't like, but had learned to live with: that was the price one paid for having ears the size of saucers. Ears the size of dinner plates.

"Almost there." The half elf muttered to his own satisfaction, idly patting his shoulder-length locks, bound by nothing save the encircling band of his hat, over the tips of his distinctly non-human ears and glancing upward at the enormous gates. And beyond them - the Citadel.

The thought sent a smile fleeting across his pale features, even though Reikos was rather too old to be unduly excited by such thoughts. Rather than gidy eagerness, the sight produced sensations of satisfaction and firmness within him: satisfaction that here he would be able to start out on his own, without the burden of his heritage bowing down his possibilities; and firmness in achieving success.

Success! What a sweet word that was, and how elusive still! Reikos was not afraid of hard labour; what he was afraid of, was the posibility that despite all of his hard work and privations he was doomed to remain that which he had been branded at birth: a bastard, a half-breed, a dependant. The thought of his debts chafed his soul, and the achadhiel began moving toward the gate faster, as if his fears had suddenly sniffed him out and were now in hot pursuit, like hounds on the trail of a rabbit. If only he could stay a single step ahead of them - he would have succeeded. Reikos moved closer to the small opened gate, giving the guard a polite smile and a greeting, wondering if entering would be any harder than leaving - which had been no trouble at all.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Reikos Carns

Timestamp: Tradetide, Samheen 20th

Whilst one of the gate guards continued to deal with Ash’s requests for entry, another stood free and ready to contend with the needs of others in the queue. This man was the one that the achadhiel had approached, and looked to be a pleasant enough sort, a ready smile painted across his features, and telltale laughter lines crossing his cheeks. Looking up at Reikos’ greeting, the guardsman allowed his grin to broaden for a moment, prior to readying his quill in preparation for jotting down the required facts.

“Hello there. Fine day, don’t you think? Now, before I can let you through, can I get your name, where you’re from, and your reasons for wanting to enter the city? For the records, you understand.”

Quill at the ready, the guard would then await Reikos' reply, writing hand eager and willing to start scribbling down any proferred bits of information. The rocky island city was a popular location for many travellers to visit, least of all because of all the various institutions here offering their services to prospective students. Was Reikos here to enrol at the University of Magicks? Or perhaps he had a musical calling in life, and was here to gain tutelage at the Bardic College. Failing those, maybe he simply wanted to sample the life and culture that Citadel had to offer. Whichever the reason was, hopefully the half elf would deign to reveal it sometime soon.

OOC: Ash, please read the PM I sent you.

Post by Guest »

Reikos glanced for an idle second at the other achadhiel seeking entrance to the city. He was an enormous fellow, surely some sort of a warrior despite his youth, and Reikos envied him that: not so much the other's better looks, but for the other's human looks.

The guard's question brought him back to the matter at hand. "I... my name is Reikos Carns, of Dort. A merchant by trade." Well - a shopkeeper, really. But it all comes down to the same thing in the end, doesn't it. Merchant had a much better ring to it than shopkeep did, in any case. "I would like to establish my business here in the city." Reikos drew himself up, knowing that what with his plain traveling clothes he didn't look like much, but that was exactly what he was here to rectify after all.

Briefly Reikos hesitanted, but after a moment purpose won over his aversion for asking directions. "And if you would be so kind as to direct me to a suitable place to stay?"

Post by Guest »

Reikos Carns

“Reikos Carns…Dort….wants to establish business…”

Even as the achadhiel spoke, so did the guard scribble down the proffered bits of information, nodding vaguely at intermittent intervals all the while. Everything sounded acceptable enough, and as a result he found no reason to question the half elf’s motives for being here. Upon finishing his writing, the guardsman looked up to the other man with a broad smile, responding to Reikos’ question almost straightaway as a suitable establishment sprang instantaneously to mind.

“A place to stay? Well, for that I’d recommend trying the Burpin’ Dragon. It’s a popular place, and the rooms are cheap, too. A good choice for you, I’d think. Shouldn’t be too hard to find, either- once you pass through the gates you’ll find yourself in Herald’s Circle. Just follow the sounds of song and laughter and you’ll be there in no time.”

Grinning then, the guard glanced away for a moment, presumably in his own considerations of time spent at the Burpin’ Dragon prior to now; memories of the inn’s buoyant atmosphere, of the pleasant company it attracted. These thoughts were only permitted to settle for a scant few flickers, however, before being dissipated entirely, allowing the guard’s attentions to be focussed unto the achadhiel once more.

“If you do find yourself getting lost, though, I’m sure someone will be happy to point you back in the right direction.”

With that, the guard would finish speaking, although he did not gesture for Reikos to move onwards just yet. In case the achadhiel had anything left to ask, he would wait a few moments little longer. Then, and only then, would he move on to dealing with the next person waiting patiently in the queue.

OOC: Ok, you can now post in here once you’re ready. :) If you have any questions, do feel free to PM me or one of the mods.

Post by Guest »

ooc: thanks for the modding! Though I doubt you really want to open that particular pandora's box... once it's open, its hard to close... :wink:

The guard was nice enough and very free with his information. Reikos relaxed, tension he didn't know he had draining from his spine as he returned the guard's smile. Listening intently, he even unbent enough to laugh quietly at the other's description of the Burpin Dragon. "I'm sure I will, in that case." he replied, nodding his goodbyes before continuing into the city proper.

It was a good beginning. Reikos turned and slowly proceeded through Herald's Court, still smiling.

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”