[Palace] The Imperial Arcanum Advisors (Chy 22-TT)

Moderator: Mods

Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

[Palace] The Imperial Arcanum Advisors (Chy 22-TT)

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

The University of Magick had been silent these past months and Lady Fauna Winthrope, one of the Arcanum Advisors for the Caesar, knew they were up to something and time would only tell what those crafty professors in the Spires of the Campus were planning.

She had been dutiful with her responsibilities as an Imperial Advisor for Arcana. The dark enchantress was meticulous and rigorous with her duty, not only for the Ceasar, but for the University of Campus as was declaired in the blood pactum she had signed when she agreed to be a student of the University of Magick. Fastidously, she had sent all of her research and experiments concerning the Ancient Weave she had stumbled in the Heart of the Citadel Palace and hoped that her thesis were of use to the Campus, though she glossed everything that concerned her dark experiments in the Red Banner.

Imperiously, that tratetide -- clad in her purple mage robe and carrying the gleaming Mirror Staff of Myra -- the dark Enchantress strode from her own office and walked across the halls of the Citadel Palace looking for Simon Ginneke, the Imperial Thaumatergist. Her flawless face was regally held high as she brooded on what she learned about the University of Magick requesting for one of their faculty members to be a part of the Imperial Arcanum Council.

Office of the High Thaumaturgist

The office of the High Thaumaturgist, head of the Imperial Magi, is not one frequented by the casual visitor to the Citadel - indeed, it is not one often visited at all. Simon Ginneke answers to no-one but the Caesar himself, and he values his privacy highly. Therefore meetings are by appointment only, and the office itself is in a tucked away corner of the Citadel as if making itself scarce from inquisitive eyes.

The actual room is warmly furnished - you might compare it to a comfortable den of a rather eccentric scholar - which in a lot of ways, it is. Thick rugs cover the otherwise cold stone floor, and a fire burns in grate beneath a decorative carved stone fireplace. Beside the window there is a sizable desk in dark wood, and several chairs to compliment it - but beside the fire is where Ginneke is usually found, in one of three rather threadbare wingback chairs and with his feet up on a small coffee table in a similar state of disrepair. Every available surface of the room, apart from the chair being sat in, is taken up with books and papers of all kinds, magical trinkets and oddments, scrolls and letters to be read and all the clutter and accoutrements of the serious but somewhat disorganised scholar. Oddly enough, despite the chaos of Ginneke's filing system, he usually seems to be able to lay his hands on whatever papers or books he's looking for with remarkable speed.

"Master Ginneke." Fauna regally rapped at his door with her hand and called the Arch-Mage. Barging in was out of the picture, trying to surprise a wizard was a sheer folly for she knew a wizard of Ginneke's ranking could obliterate her in a blink of an eye. "Master Ginneke," The dark enchantress rapped once more, she had been an irritant to him these past few months when she started researching about the Magical Properties of the Ancient Weave in the Heart of the Citadel Palace and without the Master Thaumatergist she would have been lost with her research.

"Master Ginneke, I know you're in there." The amunic woman demanded putting her hand upon her hips as she frowned at the door. "Come out or I'll camp here naked as the day I was born!" She threatened the door with in imperious stomp of her foot.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Threats were hardly going to work with Simon, even when they were as ingenious as Fauna's were right now. The door opened within flickers of her threat and the Imperial Thaumaturgist himself peeked out and let his gaze fall over Fauna's form. "Now, while I am sure the servants and guards would appreciate the view, I prefer to have some privacy and not too much noise. So, refrain from attempts to catch a cold. At least in front of my office." Licking the back of his hand, Master Ginneke used it to smooth back his hair with it before continuing. "What do you want? I am rather busy."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

The dark enchantress cringed her cute nose at him, pouted and then frowned at his dishevelled look. With a sigh, Fauna lifted her hand and arranged his hair for a few flickers then smoothed the wrinkles of his robe and then stepped back to smile at him.

"There," Fauna murmured but was distracted by the mess inside his room. "Master Ginneke!" She sighed and then frowned at him some more. "Your room's a pigsty!" The amunic blond woman exclaimed quite angrily. She tried to get passed him to get a full view of the chaos that was rampant inside his chamber.

"Men!" She rolled her blue eyes heavenward and started to mutter colorful invectives under her breath. "How can you work like this, Master Ginneke?" Fauna demanded from the Imperial Thaumatergist, looking around her with pure disdain. "You should know better, you're a Master Sorcerer and your room looks like one of the rooms of the frat boys inside the University of Magick. Oh, believe you me, Master Ginneke, yours is far worse." With a sigh, the Dark Enchantress leaned her Staff of Myra upon the wall and with an imperious look, as if challenging the Master Mage to stop her, Fauna started to re-arrange the furniture and the mess inside his room.

"Unbelievable!" She muttered uder her breath as she arranged the stacks of papers and books that was piled around the chairs and desk and turned to look at the Imperial Thaumatergist with an imperious frown. "What are you still doing standing there? Go get a broom and start sweeping the floor." She then muttered another colorful invectives and sniffed the coffee pot to smell if it was bad.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was amazing how much a foot placed in the right spot could accomplish and Simon's foot was placed perfectly to prevent Fauna from pushing the door open and entering. Her forward motion did not stop however and before she could stop, the sorceress' nose struck the flat surface of the door rather hard, with Simon having the grace to wince in sympathy. Lucky for her, it did not start bleeding, though it started to throb painfully and was bound to get swollen if she did not do something about it rather quickly. Simon waited a few flickers for her to compose herself and then repeated the question. "Now, mind telling me what is it you want? I am really busy and can't waste my time chatting."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Fauna could only whimper in pain as she touched her nose, wincing and whimpering, looking mildy at the Imperial Thaumeturgist with a hurt look on her blue, almost watery eyes. It would cost another crown to have it magically repaired, just like what she did a few months ago when she had her boobies magically augmented. She pinched her nose, feeling it throbbing and being a non-practioner of magical healing, the dark enchantress could only touch it lighty, wincing from the stinging pain and blinking with watery eyes.

"I wad just tryin' to visit you, Masder Ginneke," Fauna replied with a small pout with her hand still pinching her nose and her voice sounding curiously nasal. "And whad's keepin' you busy anyway? Perhaps I can be of assistance?" Her watery eyes lightened girlishly but was then replaced by a pained look. "I've done my research yesterday about the dormant, ancient weave in the Heart of the Palace and I've just sent my second part of my thesis to the University campus." And then she frowned, almost giving the Master Mage an accusatory glance. "And what is this I'm hearing about the University Council wanting to add one of their members to the Imperial Arcanum Advisors? What do they think am I? A jester or a groupie in the Arcanum Council? I'm from the University Campus and I think I'm capable enough of representing them!" She harrumphed indignantly, but winced as another pain stinged her nose. "If there are seats to be filled in the Arcanum Advisory, it should be from the Temples of the Pantheons! We don't have any representatives from them!"
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The door did not budge one inch, no matter what Fauna did, the Thaumaturgist's foot wedged securely on the other side, probably braced against a groove in between the stones making up his floor. From what little was visible, there was a table set upon the left hand wall, atop it a clutter of alchemical apparatus, though at the moment it was dormant, and nothing bubbled or flowed through it, nor did anything change colors as flickers passed. Ginneke's golden eyes regarded the Sorceress carefully, his irises widening from dagger thin slits to wider, pointed ovals as they adjusted to the dark hallway.

"No, you may not be of assistance. For you to be of assistance would require that I explain to you the nature of my research, and to make sure you have the magickal skills necessary to help and if not to train you until you are sufficiently skilled. And as I said I do not have time to chat, let alone teach you what you would need." The edge of irritation in his voice was definite, but he did not look overly hostile as he stared at her with his golden eyes. "And regarding the seat at the Imperium Arcanum Advisors, I really do not think I am the man you should address regarding that. The University wants one of their staff to be appointed on the Council. I could not care less about it. As for the Temples, their magic is inherently different from the one we wield. As a student of the University you should know that. Arcane magic comes from the Aether with the sorcerer directly drawing the energy using his perception and training. Their deities grant priestly spells to clergy and the amount of power they wield is directly proportional to their devotion and knowledge of how to address the divine being. Besides, I do not see why both the Temples and the University could not have a representative on the Council."
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

It took all of her will power to stop her lips from quivering and laughing out loud with full mirth. Irritating the Imperial Thaumatergist was one of the pinnacle moments of her Palace life and right about now, Fauna was beginning to think that she was most succesful.

"Oh, but Master Ginneke," Fauna rebutted, "I am a fast learner and I can work with minimum supervision. I practically learned everything I know from the University without a full mentor." She declaired quite proudly and gave him a confident smile. "And, I passed their Gauntlet with flying colors, mind you. I watch and observe, and besides, it's better you train me, Master Ginneke, the better for me to be less than an irritant to you. That way, you can boss me and order me around. Wouldn't that sound nice to you?" Oh, it was a threat, and if the Imperial Thaumatergist had any brains at all inside his head, he would take the offer right then and there.

"And for your information," the Dark Enchantress debated, giving him a sample of how irritating she could be as she flipped her golden mane back. "The magick of the priest, although coming from the pantheons of the gods, is still Aetheric. You should know that, Master Thaumatergist. I've read something inside the Library of the University that the Gods are pure Aether and it is through their benevolence that they trust their very essence upon their priest, so practically, the clergies does manipulate magick, although very differently from us." She concluded cutely, as smug as an oyster. "So, in conclusion, if the goverment of the Citadel could rearrange something, we could party with the temple priests and it'll be like so totally cool, don't you think so?"

"As for the University of Magick, how dare they suggest another of their member in the seat of the Arcanum Council? Am I not a graduate of the University? Am I not an offspring of their fountain of knowledge?" The Dark Enchantress continued to babble, hoping it would capitulate the Imperial Thaumatergist to take her as his assistant. "A daughter of their priceless towers? A branch of their expertise? Their far-reaching hand and far-seeing eye? More powerful than a locomotive? Wait? Where did that came from? Nevermind. So, Master Ginneke, in conclusion, the Arcanum Seat of Council does not and will not need any member of the University since I am here. Am I not a graduate of the University? Am I not an offspring..." She jabbered on and on in circles.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

If there was one thing that could be said about Imperial Thaumaturgist it was that the man was a gifted mage. The other was that he was not afraid to voice his opinion and cared little for what the others might think of him because of that, as Fauna was just about to find out. "You are?" He coughed and smiled quickly. "I mean, of course you are. You are beautiful, and gifted and fast learner and you work well without supervision. An image of perfection. I guess that is why you work best without supervision. Then you are the one who judges your performance and you can give yourself the highest marks. And if you make a few shortcuts and detour on the way, so what. Nobody was there to see it."

His smile was saccharine sweet as he finished, and had Fauna looked herself in the mirror when she smiled in such a way she might have been taken away by the resemblance. "And I am well aware of the nature of the divine magick, but still you are missing the point. Both magicks come from the Aether, but the priests do not actually cast any spells. They simply ask their gods to do it for them. It would be the same if I took a girl from the street and followed her around, casting spells when she requested them. Not quite the same, but very similar."

A wave of his hand indicated a change in subject the man as hyperactive as Fauna was, though he still held the door only slightly ajar. "And I do not mind the presence of the priests. But, if we allow them, then we shall have to allow the University a seat too. Because, no matter what you say, you do not represent the University, and neither do I. And to make it perfectly clear I will support their request for the seat, because the major portion of the Imperial magickal power comes from there. Now that we have that clear, was there something else? Or are you simply bored and wish to bore me to death as well?"
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

"Of course I am, Master Ginneke!" Fauna harrumphed indignantly and gave the Imperial Thaumaturgist a pained look. "I am more than an epitome of perfection!" Oh, such was the capriciousness of vanity, but then again, Fauna was both proud and vain.

She sighed then and again, knowing that the Imperial Thaumaturgist declined her plea of help. Who was she to contradict the Imperial Arch-mage? Heck, his knowledge in the arcane arts surpassed anyone from the University of Magick, but, that was what Fauna wanted, his knowledge and expertise in the Arcane Arts. Truth be told, she had made a lot of blunders on her arcane paths, but with no one there to help her and guide her, she knew she would make a lot more of blunders in the future. The University was of no help, judging by their silence, the dark enchantress knew that she was more than banned from the campus, heck, if she showed her pretty, little amunic face in the University, she knew she'd be deader than dead and that left her with no option. Professor Baldeserrato and Professorin Tara were silent too and that left her with no option but to blunder all alone in the Arcane Path.

Frowning with a resigned sigh, Fauna let her blue eyes wandered upon her Staff of Myra and slowly shook her head. Perhaps there was nothing the arch-mage could teach her, she had travelled this Arcane path all alone and even when she stumbled, she picked herself up and moved steadily along. Yes, the Imperial Thaumaturgist was right, there was nothing else she could attain from him nor from the University of Magick.

"No," the dark enchantress replied after a few flickers of silence, turning those cerulean eyes back to the Imperial Mage. "Nothing more, Master Ginneke. You have made it perfectly clear." Yes, one day, she vowed, you and the University will bow down to me and you will all rue the day of your indifference. "Goodbye, Master Ginneke. It was a pleasure." She then gave him simple, regal nod and turned slowly, carefully, silently, left him to watch her back with her flawless head held high. Someday... The proud pinnacle towers shall crumble and they shall tremble at the mention of my name.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The gold of Simon's eyes slowly turned darker shade of old gold as he observed the dark enchantress, saying nothing, his fingers drumming against the door impatiently. Fauna had interrupted him in something and while he had no qualms about irking her as much as was needed he did not want her to interrupt him in the future. Thus, as she turned, the Imperial Thaumaturgist whispered. "Learn some manners and then we can talk. And drop the cat…. Erm, I mean the act." He coughed for a flicker and disappeared behind the door for a moment. "I don't care how you weave your spells as long as you do not endanger the others. And so far I must say your weaves have not been the safest ones I saw." He frowned, looking as if he was going to say something else, and then simply shut the door. The sound of numerous bolts and chains falling into place were audible even through the thick wood.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Archived without skills awarded.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”