Another sleepless Dawn [23rd Chyril, early MT]

Moderator: Mods

Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

Another sleepless Dawn [23rd Chyril, early MT]

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

Rosalie was still wearing a comfortable houserobe, having ordered her maids to draw a hot bath so she could start to prepare for her wedding even though she had hardly slept through the night, tossing and turning as guilt tormented her in the deep of gravetide. Smataggio was in attendance as she gave some last burn instructions "Also see to it that we take care of the defector Ciccone.. immediately, but discreetly you understand. This is not something you should leave to the Condotierre for their loyalties may make them hesitant." It was frustrating that Ciccone knew of the secret entrances in the Western Embassy. She had thought that her trump card. "Let me know who you hire for the job. I want to see their resume before it goes ahead." This was not something to leave to a beginner who would botch the job "If possible it would be nice to blame on the Kislovani faction. Perhaps some adhiel can be hired thinking he is working for the homeland, mmm?"

Rosalie then turned her attention to the daily diplomatic pouch. However the morning post from the Mouth, which strictly speaking was the eveningtide post from their perspective, did not bring her parents as she had expected but instead a rather terse letter from Carloni.

A simple, neat letter in Carloni's own hand wrote:My dearest Rosalie,

It is with the deepest regret that I inform you that your mother and father will be unable to attend your wedding ceremony on Chyril 23rd. Escalating internal political developments have compelled your father to remain in the city until the immediate situation is resolved. As he is extremely tied up at present, I have taken it upon myself to inform you of this.

Due to the local ill feeling against your family that may result from some of these developments, I would strongly advise you and your brother against returning to the city until I have sent word that the situation has settled, for your own safety. Should you choose to disregard this advice, I have issued word to the local portal operators to detain you upon arrival until a guard of Condotierre can be assembled to provide you with the requisite protection.

I must apologise once again for the paucity of detail contained within this missive. Sadly the speed of developments have rendered me unable to provide you with accurate and up-to-date information. Please await further communication, which I hope will prove more enlightening.

All external issues, including our political stance toward the Citadel, remain unaffected.

Yours,

Tai Carloni,
O. F/A

Local ill feeling Rosalie thought with narrowed eyes Something is going down, it involves my familia and it is not good or Carloni would have given me more details. The fact that he told her she would be arrested on sight, however politely worded put the little Ambassador in a fit of rage. He would keep me in the Citadel, volente o nolente

A sudden stream of Mouthie curses left her pretty mouth. An expensive decorative vase was the first thing to suffer, crashing in a thousand pieces against the wall as Rose wildly sought for more material to suffer her ire. "Vaffanculo! Some Cacasenno is moving on our turf, on this day, that one very special day that was not supposed to be ruined. Oh I swear that the Figlio di puttana responsible for this will suffer." A heavy object found her mirror. Who? Who in the Mouth was strong enough to move against Severo Lo Russo and to do so with what appeared to be Carloni's blessing? Rosalie's amber eyes sought out more things to throw. "Get my brother in here, fast," she ordered her servant with a shout.
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: You shall pardon the delay I hope. We are very much ready to proceed now.

Smataggio was silent as ever, nodding to each and every instruction Madam Ambassador issued and making a few small notes upon a sheet of paper, though were one to look upon it, there would be nothing but a scribbled gibberish upon it. "I shall see what can be done, Madam. And I shall be as discreet as possible. Perhaps I might make a suggestion?" He paused for a flicker to let her interrupt before adding. "I was thinking more along the lines of hiring an amateur. Someone who would not be even considered as being hired by someone. Simply drop the rumor here and there that Ciccone has a heavy purse. But, it is your decision. If you think his death can be used, I shall strive to make it a reality in any way you deem fit."

It was Pietro who ran into Madam Ambassador's room with dagger drawn at the sound of crashing pottery, his eyes moving over the room, a pair of Condotierre coming close on his heels, rapier's drawn. The soldiers withdrew as soon as it became evident that it was the enraged merchant princess that caused all the commotion and not an attacker, leaving the young servant to deal with her request. He was out of the room within flicker and a couple of burns later, Ramius found his way to her door, rubbing the last vestiges of sleep from his eyes. A confused and worried expression wrinkled his features, as he approached Rose and took her hand in his. "What is wrong, Rosalie? What has gotten you so upset on this day?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie nodded Smataggio "Yes, yes, that sounds perfect, he might get killed in the incident too perhaps, unfortunate but it is for the greater good. On second thought, make sure I know who it is, but that person shall not see me in person. We don't want this traceable. An adhiel then, to set up Kislovan, and an amateur. Well, that shouldn't be so difficult."

More pottery flew against the wall as Ramius entered, Rosalie in full rage. She trusted the parchment forward, barely allowing him time to read "With Papa away you are now the head of the familia, Ramius. You must do something. They are ruining my wedding day." Her lips trembled, the accusation possibly the worst she uttered today. It was a sad truth that Rose did not trust her brother to be ruthless enough to assume this duties and she expected him to throw up some excuse why he could not. Yet ladies from the Mouth knew how to manipulate their men. Tears were already shimmering in Rosalie's eyes.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Puzzlement changed to worry on Ramius' face, soon to be replaced by anger, the young Condotierre's face turning bright red at his sister's words, crumpling the letter in his fist as emotions took over. "Vaf....." He bit back a curse, still not angry enough to curse in front of his younger sister, clenching his fists till knuckles cracked, pacing the room. The tears were completely unnecessary, since the mere mention of someone trying to ruin his sister's wedding was enough to send Rame into rage.

"Someone will bleed for this. I swear, someone is definitely going to bleed for this, Rose." Stopping suddenly, he seemed to suddenly remember something, coming to Rosalie's side swiftly and wrapping his arms around her. "I am sorry this happened and I will do anything I can to make it alright. And I know it won't make it right, but I will make sure that whomever did this pays for their deed." Falling to whispering into her ear, Rame cradled his baby sister in his arms. "I'll send two of my men through the portal right away to learn what happened. Once we know the situation we can act upon it."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Rosalie Marcada

Considering how many colorful curses Rose had uttered before Rame entered it was curious that he would hold back now, especially considering that in her secret observing of her brother she had learned most of that foul language from him, if inadvertedly. He would be devastated too if he ever realized it.

Rosalie allowed her brother to draw her into a hug, laying her head on his chest (for she did not even reach his shoulder) with a shuddering sigh, some artful tears slipping down her cheeks. "Perhaps," she offered in her characteristic hoarse voice, "perhaps there is something Illish can do, or any friends and allies we've made on this side of the Seven Seas. As soon as you've figured out what happened you must let me know and you must allow me to assist you. I am no longer your little sister. I am your very grown up sister the Lady Ambassador now and nobody touches my familia." For Rame's shake she refrained from strong language.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Even had he heard the curses Rosalie uttered but burns before, even the though of cursing in front of her was unthinkable to Ramius. Even her words that she was no longer his little sister, changed nothing, since she would ever be a perfect little angel in his eyes, unless she did something truly terrible to shatter that image. Nodding at her, Ramius smiled and kissed her forehead. "I shall get to it right away. Ponder whom we could trust and how much while I send my men to the Mouth. I expect to have news in a few marks. We better be ready for the worst. Any ideas what this could be about? And who could be behind it?"
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie sighed. She had been pondering the very same question "I am not sure Rame. Many things are different back home from when I last visited. With our gain of Aveas and the independence from the Western Kingdom the balance has changed. Carloni gained much precedence, but don't discount Maglio. Both are involved with the Aveas company. Coffee is still one of the hottest imports to the Mouth. Who would not move decisively against them to dominate the market if they had half a chance?" Not to mention the rumor of other products coming from that dark neighboring country, a situation that warranted further investigation.

She frowned, a wrinkle marring her forehead. "There are many local affairs I am not aware of and they will feature in the equation. Things are very much in flux, especially now that we are free. That union of laborers the.. the.. LUT, UTL.. what is it? It is just one example that I haven failed to fully understand. Carloni briefly mentioned it in Samheen, but I find myself wondering what drives such forces in our normally so mercantile focused home town? More money for laborers by blackmail? It seems to me most dishonest and bad for business."

Rose shook her head in disbelief "I do tend to be isolated over here. But I find it likely it is at least in part Foreign Affairs that is providing an issue... the other magisters rebalancing matters on the Merchant Council. I would certainly look at all people who would benefit from striking against the Aveas company. Still, why would they strike at Papa and not Carloni directly?" Carloni hadn't sounded particularly worried. Worst, it sounded as if he was siding with the feuding party to save his ass.

"Perhaps Papa's recent gains have been.." she wanted to say unsavory but that was such a ridiculous, judgmental word, for all that it was likely ".. disputed, what with the recent outcome of the riots and Papa in charge of the redistribution of land. It may have become favorable to sacrifice him."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was remarkable how much Rosalie did know about the Mouth despite being away from there for such a long time. Ramius for probably the first time in his life regretted his limited involvement in Mouth politics and business deals. Still there was someone who might be able to help and who would possibly know more than his men could learn on their own. A person he knew he could trust. Or at least hoped he could. "I have an idea. I shall send one of my men to Councilor Constanza. She might know more. And she will help. While Papa and her might be business rivals and everything, I do not think she would be involved in this."

Sighing Rame, fell silent for a while before trying to untangle the mess that was World's Mouth somewhat. "It has worked for a long time now, but I am not certain if perhaps the appearance of the ULT and now this is not a sign that Mouth has changed. How far are we willing to go in pursue of profit and is there such a thing as a border we should not cross in such a pursuit." Another sigh and another silence. "It is so much simpler aboard the Lycos. This did not need to happen. Not today." Pulling back, Rame lifted his sister's chin and smiled grimly, his teeth showing briefly in a terrifying way. "I'll make sure the price for this is great, Rose. Whomever did this will regret it tenfold. I swear."
Rosalie Marcada

"Oh Rame," Rose sighed, only able to hug him really, really tight. Truth was that she had been aware of the Mouth all the time. After all she had been up and down to her hometown at least once. Of course she knew more than he realized. Was she not a politician instead of her brother the military? "I know, I know how you will revenge me. Tell me, tell me when you come back to me and I will relish the stories. Even if not everybody in the world wants this.. we do and we shall prevale. "
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

With a final tight hug, Rame pulled back from his little sister and with a terrible frown straightened his shoulders. He did not even try to smile, respecting Rose's experience and her grasp of the situation. "I'll go take care of this now. And we shall talk after the wedding and plan the revenge together. I am sure the Baron will understand. Do you think it would be wise to involve him in our plans? He is going to be familia very soon. And he might be able to help."
Rosalie Marcada

"I will consider it," Rosalie said, not sure if she would fully inform the Baron. Perhaps if the situation was proving to be dire indeed. She had her pride after all.

The small ambassador stepped away from her brother "Go with the Light of Dominicus," she told him seriously, "For if something happened to you I'd be devastated."
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Skilled and archived

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”