A Call To Arms - Late TT CH 24th

Moderator: Mods

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

A Call To Arms - Late TT CH 24th

Post by Ulder »

A splendid building showing craftsmanship thought long forgotten, a product worthy of the ancient Dwarven masters. The wood is intricately carved, and each stone is cut by hand. Inside, large tapestries, embroidered of the finest materials and by the finest artisans of Dort, speak of enormous wealth. The Duke’s shrewd judgment has brought his home isle from just an average performer to one of the top trade centers in the world in just under two decades. Dort is the leading trade center of the Empire and it shows.

Upon entering the Embassy, and after being suitably impressed by the display of expensive tapestries and the best of dwarven craftsmanship - particularly a huge marble statue of Furst von zu Dort-Billigh on horseback - the visitor is greeted by Thavia, a well endowed blond woman with blue eyes at the reception desk. She registers all visitors carefully and guides them through the rest of the building. The way she bats her eyelashes at visiting merchants, one might easily mistake her for just a pretty face.

Ulder had been planning their mission to Pax since before the wedding. Elaine and he had talked often about the situation there and the injustice of it since they had heard the news from his parents. Now the wedding behind them, they both felt like the time was ripe to do something about it. Ulder and Elaine valued honesty as much as anything, and they both admitted to wanting to help the people of Pax as much as they had wanted to help the people of Citadel. Now that the Citadel was about to have a new Caesar, and things were moving on, they both felt it was time for them to turn their attention to Pax.

He had no real idea of what to expect there. Pax had been created and formed after his departure from the Western Kingdom a long time ago. He had no idea of the size of the force that guarded it, or how many people would or could rally to his cause, so he thought it was best to go with some people he could trust, and have some steel at his back. He hoped his letters would initiate some interest from some of his former companions, but he knew he also needed swords. By his estimation, he expected resistance, and he knew he needed people that were trained as a unit to fight. He wasn't certain of what kind of sway or influence he might still hold with some of his former brothers from the Guard, but there was only one way to find out.

He made his way to the Dort embassy. He knew Erwin had returned home to his island, but Thavia was his sole contact that he had with the Duke, and he needed to see her before he could move forward. Perhaps she could even authorize or accept any volunteers that he could muster from his former ranks.

As he entered the main hall of the embassy, he smiled at Thavia and approached her.

"Good tradetide to you Lady Thavia. You look well. I was wondering if I could speak with you about something rather important."
Last edited by Ulder on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Thavia's blond head rose the moment Ulder's boots stepped upon the marble floor of the Embassy foyer, the receptionist seemingly ever present in that room. The smile she gave the former Captain was genuine, and she rose quickly, leaving her usual seductive sway for another occasion. "Captain! It's good to see you. I was thinking of you just a few marks ago. But, please, I am chattering needlessly. Come, let us sit in the garden and talk in private. Ever since the Duke went home the Embassy has been fairly quiet."

Taking his elbow gently, the woman, rose and left through the door, someone obviously taking her place by the sound of wood scraping against the stone behind them. Within flickers she led Ulder outside and found a nice little spot upon one of the benches, settling down and patting the stone bench next to her. "Now that we are truly alone and in such a nice place, tell me what can I do for you?" Indeed the Embassy garden looked almost idyllic, with its blossoming trees and bright green grass upon the ground a pair of birds engaged in an intricate sort of dance and song above a nearby bush.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"It's good to see you again as well. I hope that if you were thinking of me earlier, it was about something pleasant."

"Chattering needlessly? Hardly my lady, we have only begun to speak."

"Yes, I imagine the Duke commands attention when he is here. I would guess his leaving is much like the sudden departure of a friend or employer. Without them around it takes time to adjust and things just don't seem the same."

The former Captain was happy to follow her lead and suggestion to visit in the garden. It seemed like a prudent measure, although he didn't really suspect much by the way of spies or informants lurking in the Dort embassy. He sat and absently rubbed at his chin with the ball of his thumb for a moment before he began. His thoughts weren't easy to explain, so he had to take a moment to gather himself. He spoke softly, but the passion in his words and tone were evident.

"Since before the wedding, Elaine and I have been speaking of something that we feel is very wrong, and that we feel strongly enough to act upon. We feel there is a grave injustice taking place before our very eyes. I'm speaking of the city of Pax Balthasar in the West. People have been ordered to move there because of their faith, and they have been forced to live there because their faith was not the same as their King's. That's imprisonment and religious persecution, and we intend to do something about it."

"Now comes the hard part. Pax was built and populated well after I left the West. I have little idea of how well its garrisoned, or to what degree. I expect that investigating that will be rather unpopular, and taking any actions might be seen as sedition against the west. Therefore, if possible, I'd like to ask my former brothers and sisters in the guard if there are any to volunteer to come along with me. Without knowing what kind of resistance or retaliation that might be forthcoming, I would feel more confident and better equipped to handle a situation or a confrontation if I had some men and women that I could trust at my back."

"I would ask for volunteers only. No orders, no conscripts to undertake this... mission for lack of a better word. Just those who agree with me that something needs to be done, and are willing to journey into the mouth of the beast once more to stand against it. A new Caesar is about to be crowned, and the Citadel seems to be moving forward into relative peace. The men and women I know in the Guard helped forge that peace with their blood and their sweat, but I also feel there might be a good many more who feel like the work of this world is still unfinished. I have come to you to ask for the Duke's permission to ask his men for volunteers to go with me."

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Oh, I have just remembered how happy you two looked yesterday and wondered if I will be so lucky one day." The blond receptionist, sighed heavily, looking skyward for a flicker and then she was back on business, a slight glint in the corner of her eye the only reminder of her previous words. "I have heard of Pax and what is being done here. Or rather of what it is supposed to be. I fear I know very little of the actual situation. Have you tried learning more? I know the Scoutmaster Manyana is missing, but someone must be filling her role in her absence."

For a flicker she fell silent, a calculating look forming upon her face, and then Thavia launched into a tirade quite unlike her usual, silly self. "You will need some intelligence on the are you are going to. It'll take some time, but I will see what I can dig out. And as said the Scout's Guild might help. There is a problem of transport, both there and back should things get rough. Logistics will be a problem too, especially if you plan to lead a large group. As for the soldiers, I would suggest going to those you think would be interested, and work from there. Don't share this with too many people, since we both know this is not something that the Empire will support openly." There was a single crease upon the girl's forehead as she frowned. "But, I am not sure I understand what you mean by taking Duke's mean.... He took the Sunfire Brigade back with him. We only have a handful of guards here."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder smiled as Thavia recalled the ceremony. He was glad that it touched others and that they enjoyed it, and he had to thank her as well for her assistance and all she did for the event herself.

"Well, the ceremony was beautiful and Elaine and I certainly are aware that you were instrumental in making it what it was. We certainly appreciate all the hard work and extra time you devoted to making it what it was. And of course you'll have that one day. You are a beautiful, intelligent woman, and any man would be lucky to have you. Its just a matter of time and I don't think luck has much to do with it. I know you'll find that special person, because you are special too."

She lapsed back into business, so he ran a hand through his hair and focused in on what she was saying.

"My parents still live in King's Court and my father is a trader and a merchant, so he hears about these things through other merchants. We had a rather lengthy discussion about the West, the politics of World's Mouth and the disintegration that seems to be happening there. It seems the death of the King is in the midst of creating a succession struggle, and the poor people of Pax that were persecuted and forced to live there while he still lived, are still being held under the same laws. Now it may come to pass that the next ruler of the West has a different viewpoint altogether and may decrease the power of the Church of Dominicus, but I think we both know that once someone has a taste of power and influence, they are loathe to give it up. The people of Pax need someone to stand for them in the coming conflict, and that is why we are going."

The news that Manyana was missing troubled Ulder deeply. This was the first he had heard of it, and deep in his gut he knew something wasn't right about it.

"I hadn't heard that she was missing. With the ceremony and relatives and all that, I didn't know. You are right, someone must be filling that role, and we'll need to know who that is."

Ulder admired the tenacity and agility of her mind. Many thought she was a silly, uneducated woman, but he was beginning to see that she had a keen instinct for logistics and operations. Small wonder Erwin had chosen her for the role she filled.

"Any intelligence you can supply would be much appreciated. We are going into the situation blind, and information about the layout of the town, its defenses, number of guards, Church leadership, the mood and morale of the people living there, anything like that will help us formulate the right strategy."

"I have transport already arranged through the University. Master Motrice has generously offered the use of the University's portal to transport us. As for the men, I'm not speaking of the Sunfires that Erwin had with him or that remained behind. I'm talking about those who wore the same uniform I once did, now in the service of the Imperial Trade Guild. Ex Purple Guards that I served with. I know there are some that share my views and my will to act. But I'm also quite aware that working for Baron Marcada complicates this immensely. I share your assessment that the fewer that know, the better. And with the Baron's proximity to Ambassador LoRusso, it's even trickier, because I don't want the Baron or the Ambassador to know anything about it. I don't want any spy picking up our trail before we get there. I need to find a way to contact those that used to serve in the Guard without Marcada or LoRusso finding out, and as quietly as possible."

"Is there a way to contact them? Perhaps we could contact one, and have that person whisper through the ranks. Zimphander would be ideal to do this. He was always good at talking to the men. They respected him, and he's clever and subtle enough to talk privately with those that seem interested. Then perhaps we get those that want to come with me, and redeploy and shuffle the Guild's ranks without making too much of a fuss. That's the way I would prefer to work this, but I'm certainly open to any suggestions you may have. I'm not familiar with the workings of the Guild, so if your knowledge and familiarity alter that plan or allow you knowledge of why it wouldn't work, I am open to discuss options."

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Throughout Ulder's explanation, Thavia nervously chewed on her lower lip, a sure sign her mind was working furiously in the background, processing the information she was given on the fly. "I fear that there is very little I can do to help you officially. There is no way either the Duke or Dort can afford to be seen as supporting you openly. Behind the scenes I can safely say that your actions have the backing of Dort and that we will do all that is in our power to aid you. I have to warn you that my powers are quite limited, but I have a way to reach the Duke quickly should I need special permissions. Money should not concern you, since we will fund your endevor in full. If you give me a list of equipment and goods you need I will see it is delivered. I suggest you approach Master Threespan too. The airship his gnomish friends made could come in useful should you need to make hasty departure, though I have every faith it won't be necessary."

She produced a piece of parchment and a piece of charcoal from a small pocket carefully worked into the design of her dress and began taking notes so as not to forget something. "I'll have a report ready for you by next Morningtide. As for contacting your comrades, I could ask for a report from baron Marcada on the number of former Purple Guards in his employ. They are still on Duke's payroll and it won't draw too much attention. We can go from there, as you should have little trouble finding the men you think would follow you on your mission. Or as you say you could approach Sergeant Zimphander and let him handle the actual recruitment. I have his address written down somewhere, from when I organized the wedding. Anything else? Do you know where you will emerge from the portal? Wouldn't it be better for you to arrive unseen so you would have greater flexibility to act?"
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Thavia's words were more grist for the mills of Ulder's mind. He had thought that getting in touch with those that once served with him might be difficult, but he had thought the challenge would be in keeping it quiet, not finding them in general. Thavia seemed to have a good way of determining their whereabouts, but actually speaking to them was going to be a different matter altogether.

He completely expected the disclaimer that was given about no official sanctioning or sponsorship. Never once had he thought that such a thing would be given, and in truth, he would have never asked for it from anyone. This was a different sort of mission and one he was taking on as a citizen of the world, and not as a Captain, or even as a member of the Empire. This was a personal mission to complete something that his dead brothers had started, stood for, and died for.

The offer to back the endeavor financially was something he once hoped and wished for and the offer for equipment and provisions was something that came as a mild and pleasant surprise as well. It was a shame he was going to have to turn it all down. He grinned at her enthusiasm and zeal as her mind worked and her words spilled forth.

"Before we go much further, I think something needs to be clarified here. What I have come for, the only things I've come for, are volunteers and information. Gods know I appreciate the offer. Gods know I'd be a fool to turn any offer of assistance down, but I'm afraid I must. I sincerely thank you and the Duke, but I'm not here to put the Duke into a delicate and dangerous situation politically or otherwise. This is not a political struggle that will need to be managed. This is not an invasion or some sort of insurrection against the West. I would not endanger the Duke, you, or anyone else over something I do anymore. I'm not beholden to the Empire any longer. I serve in no official capacity any longer. What we are doing, we are doing as free people to help other people. The reason I wanted men to come with us, is I expect there to be some conflict over this. This is an ideological struggle. A fight of faith. We believe people should be free to worship whomever they want. We believe that being imprisoned, for lack of a better word, for not worshiping the same God as the King is wrong."

"I want swords with me because religion is a very personal thing with most people. Some will feel strongly enough to fight over it. Some will rather be dead than accept the fact that someone else should have a personal choice. Some are so far gone, that they'll kill anyone who disagrees and worships something or someone else. The Purple Guard were trained to fight and fight well in circumstances where deadly force was the last resort. We were skilled in controlling crowds, defending ourselves and each other in hostile environments, and do so without slaughtering everyone in the process. I expect there might be riots. I expect there might be those that will strike at us, but we're not going to tear down the walls of the Basilica and slay all the members of the Church Council. We're going to help free a city from persecution. We're going to build and create, not invade and destroy, but those who are opposed to such progressive thought and action escalate the conflict and turn it into that, I'll need those standing with to have the will to see it though. That's what I'm seeking. I'll talk to Zimphander and send a whisper through the ranks."

He sat back, giving the woman some room to digest and process the information as he had laid it out. Thavia was clearly an agent for Dort and the Duke, and was used to dealing with political turmoil and helping the shrewd Erwin overthrow his enemies through subtle maneuvering and deft strikes of political power. His was not that kind of struggle.

"With Manyana missing, I would focus the majority of your effort in finding out who knows where she was last. I'm curious to find out what she might have been working on and what she was doing. If she was working in the West, I'll gladly set myself to finding her there as well. If that is the case, then I'll gladly accept your offer of support and all my earlier words can be ignored and forgotten."

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Thavia learned something in her time in Duke's employ and that was that some things had to be mentioned no matter how obvious they were. There always came along a person who either chose to misinterpret the subtle signs or simply did not get them. That was why she had mentioned that Ulder's mission won't be officially supported. The more he spoke the more Thavia realized her assumptions were slightly off track, but she quickly corrected them through conversation with Ulder "The offer of financial support and equipment still stands. Have faith in my abilities. If you choose to accept the chances that it will be tracked back to us will be minimal, if not non-existent."

It was the last bit that caused Thavia to pause and fall silent for several long flickers, taking a deep breath at last, as if reaching some sort of decision. "Well, I do have much in the way of evidence concerning the Scoutmaster's disappearance, but I can give you an educated guess based on what I know. Shortly before he left for Nipponar, Master Threespan left what little evidence he found regarding the late Caesar's murder. The Duke did not have the time to see into it personally, and saw it fit that Manyana was given that evidence. Seeing how a pair of men whom rumors say were linked to the Brotherhood were found dead in her room, I can only assume they are somehow linked to her disappearance. Whether she was taken or went into hiding I do not know, but she was not seen ever since. I mentioned the evidence because it is my belief that the Brotherhood, if those men were indeed members of that organization were after her because she got close to whomever did it."
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder listened intently to Thavia's reassurance about any and all support coming from her and the Duke. He had not wished to involve anyone on a non-volunteer basis, and the more he thought about it, the more it seemed she was well aware of the consequences, the possible backlash and outcry, and the certain political fallout, yet here she was, being staunch about it anyway. Besides, he meant what he said about only a fool would decline such an offer, and truth be told he wanted all the help he could get.

"Very well then. It was my thought not to include anyone who wasn't a volunteer, but it seems you're volunteering in a different way. I would be glad to count on yours and the Duke's assistance. I will not take it as official sanctioning, but I will take it as a friend helping a friend in a rather unique way. If you are kind enough to volunteer aid, I should be happy to accept. Thank you very much."

As she spoke of Manyana, it seemed that the mysterious work of Manyana might have endangered her to the point of possible torture or death. The circumstances surrounding the Ceasar's death had never sat well with the former Captain, and it seemed now that the topic was raising its ugly head once more.

"So Barrett returned and after his report, she disappeared. Interesting. If the Brotherhood wanted the information kept secret, perhaps because they were involved, or perhaps the answer would uncover some other scheme they are involved in, why wait until he returned to report it? Why not just kill him and be done with it? He's a much easier target to remove than she was..."

He allowed himself to mull over a few possibilities. There were a hundred directions to go in, but one sole fact remained. It had been a painful lesson to learn once already, and he wasn't about to make the same mistake twice. The riots haunted him still, and he would not walk that path again. Not in the same manner anyway. He rubbed at the scar on his neck in remembrance of the pain of nearly dying.

"As much as I would love to assist in this matter, its out of my reach to do anything about it. The riots happened because I overstepped the bounds of the office I held. Thousands died and the Purple Guard was disbanded because I took the law into my own hands. Some of my best friends, and thousands more were slain because I took action when I should have taken that information to the proper authorities. What I'm doing now, as a private, freeperson can do, is different. I hold no office, my oaths have all been released. I don't serve in an official capacity now, so there are no restrictions to overstep. I can take on any challenge I set for myself."

"I'm sorry. A thousand souls on my conscience more than I can handle already. If the Guard were to be restored, and we were charged by the Council and sanctioned to bring the Caesar's killer to justice, that would be one thing. But vigilante justice nearly cost me my life once. I can't go down that road again. I would send Barrett to head of the Watch, as well as Captain Summers of the Imperial Guard. If he knows what happened to Anochrim, then they need to be involved in bringing those responsible to justice."

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"It is more than a friendly offering. it is a way of saying thank you for everything you did for Dort and the Duke in the past. Empire too. Most people tend to forget bad things, and heroic deeds are changed with retelling, but we know what you did and this is the least we can do." Gone was the air-headed blonde that usually greeted visitors to the Embassy and it her way sat another girl, much more capable and determined, though they both wore the same face. "Barrett gave his report to a person he trusts. In this case it was the Duke. And Duke Erwin discreetly delivered the evidence to Manyana, and I am fairly certain she did not know from whence it came. What I do know is that she did follow on several of the leads Barrett discovered, though her disappearance need not be linked to that investigation in particular." With a light pat on the former Captain's shoulder the woman nodded. "You can not fight every battle. Choose what is important and focus on it. Then once you are done find another struggle. Otherwise you will not be focused enough to solve any one of your problems. Know that the tale of late Caesar's murder is not forgotten."
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

It was interesting and reassuring to see the transformation in her. Many would only ever see the airy, absent minded persona she portrayed, but Ulder was glad he got a chance to glimpse behind the mask.

"Thank you. For everything. The assistance. The Intel. The news. For keeping me abreast of what is happening. It means a lot to me."

"I know I cannot fight every battle. Gods know I used to try." He said ruefully.

"I'm glad the fallen have not been forgotten. I know I never shall be able to shake them from my mind. If and when I return, and her disappearance is still unresolved, I shall endeavor to find her."

He stood, and extended a hand to assist her to her feet. It was gesture born from uncertainty that there was anything more to discuss at the moment, and from the feeling he was taking up more of her time than was polite.

"So then..." He started. "Shall I return tomorrow, or will you be sending along the results of your efforts?"

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Thavia shook her head and patted her cheek with a fingertip. "I think it is best if you came here. I'll prepare a report and here we can be certain nobody will overhear what is said. Walls here may have ears, but they are our ears." She nodded and rose with a smile. "I am glad to be of assistance. Pity not everyone appreciates everything you did for the Empire."

OOC: Fin?
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

He returned her smile warmly.

"It was certainly more than just me. There are hundreds, perhaps even a thousand to thank. Sadly, many of them are not here any longer to receive such appreciation."

"I'll be off, but I'll return here on the morrow for the information you are able to supply. Thank you again."

He made his way out and back home to his beloved.

~~~

OOC: Yes sir! FIN! Thank you very much!

Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled and archived. :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”