World's Mouth Embassy: after the storm [26th, tradetide]

Moderator: Mods

Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

World's Mouth Embassy: after the storm [26th, tradetide]

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

With barely covered impatience Rosalie stormed into the small World's Mouth Embassy, walking into her office and throwing herself into a comfortable chair. She waited impatiently for her secretary Smataggio to follow her, giving him a serious gaze "Have you heard what has happened?" His sources were proving to be uncanny sometimes, so this might be an interesting test.
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It took Smataggio a dozen or so flickers to come into Rosalie's office, closing the door behind him and arching a brow calmly. "I have heard quite a number of things Madam Ambassador. But, if I were to hazard a guess I would say you are asking if I heard of the events at your home last night." a short pause to let her interrupt him if she wished so. "I fear I heard only a little. Your husband's staff is quite loyal to him. Perhaps if you told me the details I might be able to differentiate rumors from facts?" His eyes went to her throat and lingered there for a mere flicker before turning back to gaze into her eyes. "Are you alright, Madam? Perhaps I could station a few Condotierre at the Baron's house to bolster security there?" Concern in his voice was barely there, but the man never showed much emotion in general and this was hardly surprising. He had the talent of being almost unnaturally calm, Rosalie never having seen him upset or panicked. An admirable quality in a personal secretary and security attaché.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Rosalie Marcada

'If you do you'll mortally offend Deacon," Rosalie said with a barely concealed smile, "I shall however communicate our offer to see if he thinks it is needed." It was amazing how much trust she already put in Deacon. His loyalty to the family was important to her.

"Well now, those rumours interest me," Rose admitted before briefly explaining "During my weddingnight my husband attacked me without cause, nearly strangling me. I, surprisingly, managed to fight him off and he lies home recovering from the ordeal." She cocked her head to watch Smataggio to see if he could spot was what wrong with this explanation. What isn't? And yet, from the surface of it, that was exactly what had occurred. Smataggio's calm slightly unnerved her and she found she was always trying to provoke a more emotional response.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

With an impassive face, his expression all business-like Smataggio shook his head at Rose's words. "With all due respect, Madam Ambassador, I think I would rather risk insulting Deacon than endangering you. Besides, I think Mister Deacon could get past such an insult easier than he would over the shame should anything happen to you." He paused, pondering his next words for a flicker. "With your permission I will have a talk with him. Offer my help, but leave the decision up to him. A few discrete sentries placed under his overall command. And if he disagrees.... Well, they will simply have to be more discrete then." He smiled, though it was mostly a mechanical expression, there because he knew such a thing belonged to a moment, more than he felt the humor in his own words.

Her flawed explanation brought a reaction from Smataggio the calm man raising his eyes to look at his superior, a single brow arched in puzzlement. "I was not aware that the Baron was prone to sudden outbursts of violence. Such a thing could of course be hidden, but I doubt not even a rumor would get out. Are you sure it was the Baron?" He was clearly trying to work out the details out with some haste, connecting the dots, trying to guess where the unseen points were. "I know that you have sent for the University of Magick sorcerers, and Mister Deacon contacted the Temple of Illuminatus. That indicates that magick is involved somehow. Should I contact the Mouth and ask for Inquisitors?"

At that moment, came the knock at the door, a flushed face of a clerk peeking in without waiting for a reply. "Signore Smataggio there is an urg...... I am sorry for intruding but this is urgent. A message form the Mouth. There has been......" He fell silent, swallowing a lump that somehow seemed to be lodged in his throat. Without further words he approached and handed a note to Rosalie.

My dear daughter

It has taken much for me to get this message across to you, since the city is closed for all traffic following the incidents that took place a few marks ago. I was forced to pay Giorgio to sneak out of the city and go all the way to Roque in order to send this message to you.

You father is still in prison, but those that sent him there are most probably all dead. There has been an explosion aboard an Aveas Trade Company ship Sapphire. These are just rumors, but they say Grand Marshal Arlis Amadici, Lord Mercantiler Esteban Saphio, Magister Carloni, Magister Primus Simon Maglio and Ottavio Alphonse Binaldi, High Inquisitor were on board when that happened. They are all dead. They surely can't blame that on Severo, can they?

The Constanza family has been placed under house arrest and the guards are making arrests around the city. They say Nicollo Alvero of the Union of Laborers and Teamsters is responsible, but they can not find him anywhere.

I am unsure what to do, and I have instructed Giorgio to wait at the Laughing King's Tavern for your reply. Please talk to your brother and tell me what to do. I fear they will kill Severo and I don't know if I can continue all alone.

Your mother
Maria
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Rosalie Marcada

Briefly Rose considered her secretary's words, then nodded "Yes, make it so," she told him curtly. Sparing Deacon's feelings was important, but so was keeping herself and everybody in her care safe. The bodyguard would understand that. She was exposing her familias to all of this and so she was responsible for fixing it. "When you have a spare .. agent..or two.. I wish you to keep a constant report on Eisolf and Lucinda. I want to know their every move. Who they are seen with, who talks with them. Everybody. Protect them, but treat them as.. hostile. Lucinda is involved with some very dark magicks indeed and I want to get to the bottom of this."

"How perceptive of you," the petite Ambassador gave a thin smile upon Smataggio's assessment "Though I can assure you he can be possessed by great passions. Hidden depths. Never underestimate him. That was Carloni's first warning in his report on the baron." She let the name drop casually. "Now, as for the magick.. it is more or a spiritual thing. A spirit that was out on revenge took possession of the Baron... Kaspar Verducci."

She held his eyes for a moment, not saying anything. She was not about to admit why Verducci was a hostile spirit, she let the man draw his own conclusions.

"It is my belief this supernatural attempt on my life did not occur by happenstance. It was helped along by someone quite mortal. The question is how many people have motive." Rosalie pursed her lips "That fat corporal, what was his name? He knows more. Possibly Michel Ranier too. The Kislovan faction always has motive of course, but this was not quite their style. Too subtle. No this had more of a moral punishment to it.. with an intimate touch." Slowly Rose chewed on this realization "Hagen."

Rosalie would have discussed it further but they were interrupted. She frowned as the young man entered without waiting to be bid enter. Upon reading the message though she forgot the words of admonishments resting on her full red lips.

The Ambassador read the message a couple of times. Send through a public channel. That alone was devastating news. She looked up to regard the boy briefly "How many people have seen this message?" Rose did not wait for an answer, rising and walking towards the hearth, throwing the letter in the fire, watching the flames consume it. It gave her a bit of time to think over the implications of this most urgent message from home. "Has my brother returned yet from his trip?" she asked idly as she took a poker and my sure no snippets remained.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The smile that graced Smataggio's lips after Rosalie mentioned Eisolf and Lucienda was much more genuine, though equally disturbing, bearing just a hint of malice in it, but malice of a kind that seemed so very real. "I always have a spare agent or two Madam Ambassador." The smile melted away swiftly as the man added. "I fear I do not have an agent who would be able to counter magick, but if you wish I can ask for such assistance from the Mouth." After a short pause he added quickly. "Discreetly, of course."

The secretary quickly shook his head at the mention of the Kingdom Ambassador, frowning slightly. "Though I am loathe to disagree, I fear that I do not think Lord Hagen would resort to such measures. He is far too.......honorable." The word was said with a sour expression of a kind Smataggio might wear had he bitten deep into a lemon. "Marshall Ranier is a much more likely possibility. As is former Corporal Ciccone. Speaking of whom I should inform you that I managed to place an agent within the Western Embassy. Magister Carloni was kind enough to send one of his associates and she should be in place to watch over both the Ambassador and the Corporal. She has been briefed of his importance and will keep an eye out." He hesitated a flicker before adding more. "There is something amiss in the Outer Ring, Madam. We managed to slip out before trouble started, but I heard reports that there was fighting in the streets. Reports are still spotty and I have sent a few agents to gather reliable information, but I advise you not to leave the Embassy until things settle down. I'll send someone to your husband to inform signore Deacon of the danger."

Smataggio had ever been discreet, though even he could not hide his interest, no doubt sparked by Rosalie's reaction to the message. "Only me, Madam Ambassador. I review all your mail and sort out it out according to importance. And this one was not marked as for your eyes only so I thought......" The boy swallowed a lump, his voice coming out as a croak to Rosalie's question, Smataggio replying, as he licked his lips his eyes on the quickly crumbling paper. "He is due to arrive in a couple of marks. Can I be of some assistance in the meantime?"
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie gave a short nod to her secretary as he suggested getting a mage or inquisitor from the Mouth. "Yes, he's the stiff and honourable sort, though one has to wonder if that is a position he can maintain as an Ambassador. Perhaps he has a second that does his dirty work, so that he doesn't need to know."

Her mind was already on his next bit of news however, a finely arched eyebrow going up "Just a day after the coronation? Well, Ranier has certainly not succeeded in getting this barbaric rabble under control then, nor has the Imperial Guard. Things are still as they were these many weeks ago when I arrived. Merda. What a mess." Rose would heed his advice of course. No sense in risking herself. She suppressed the memory of running through the Citadel with her dress and corset cut. That was forever poisoned now.

After she had burned the paper to her satisfaction Madam Ambassador rose, turning to regard the young boy who was near stuttering. She gave him a smile. No sense in spreading panic. She must project calm, Rose realized. "You did well. Now, I must ask you something, Amico. Can you keep this a secret? Not even contacting your family back in the Mouth? I know you must worry a little. I do too, but you must promise me this."

After she extracted his promise, Rosalie dismissed the boy. She then turned to Smataggio, her face grave. "A nemico che fugge, ponti d'oro*! Something very serious is going on Smataggio, very serious indeed. Vendetta. Somebody in the Mouth led an enemy go unchecked, and he's now successfully running away with the spoils. My mother wrote me, and she had to use a public channel, sending a messenger with this letter. A public channel, Smataggio!"

The fact something serious was going on the Mouth was already compromised, even in the information in the letter might not be. Rose had to to deal with the worst case scenario. "The messenger is waiting in the Laughing Kings Tavern for a reply."

Rosalie sighed, starting to walk up and down her office to help her think and getting rid of the energy to coursed through her body from the agitation she felt. Suddenly she stopped to at Smattagio, announcing in crisp tones "As you may know my father was arrested but a day before my wedding, which is why he and my mother did not attend. Carloni informed me I was under no circumstance allowed to return to the Mouth. My mother now writes to tell me that the Aveas Trade Company ship Sapphire has exploded, with on board Grand Marshal Arlis Amadici, Lord Mercantiler Esteban Saphio, Magister Carloni, Magister Primus Simon Maglio and Ottavio Alphonse Binaldi, High Inquisitor. The ULT's director Nicollo Alvero is being held responsible and he has fled. Some accusations have been levelled against the Constanza family. My mother fears my father will be next." The streets of the Mouth are probably already running red with blood, Rosalie thought with sickening realization.

Rosalie resumed her pacing, trying to focus on the actions needed. "My brother is already in Aveas to ensure our interests in the Aveas Trade Company are protected. As you know we can't afford to have our relationship with the Empire damaged at this time."

Rose frowned "If Carloni is dead then Rame is now commander in chief of the Condotierre. I don't think the family had a heir to Carloni's seat." If anything the Condotierre had been charged not just with the protection of Rosalie but all Ambassadors abroad, their ships scattered over the globe."

She looked at Smattagio "Is there any way we can confirm these rumours? If they are true we must not wait with resuming control over the Condotierre, for the good of the Mouth. They must not, shall not fall into enemy hands in times of chaos. It is not just the men, it is all they represent and carry with them." The airships, the most advanced technology in Tazlure. It was priceless.

Rosalie's face was grim "I must get to the bottom of this. Who framed my father? Who framed all the other councillors.? Was it Alvero? How did he get involved? The target was the Coffee harvest. I am sure of it. " There was still the possibility that Severo had masterminded this. Had he not learned to trust Rose by now. Then again, Rose knew not to trust her father either. She looked at her secretary and in effect spy master, wondering if between them they could solve this puzzle.

*=For the enemy who escapes, golden bridges
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Smataggio's smile grew into something a bit malicious, the secretary savoring some information for a flicker, as if he knew Rosalie would like to hear what he had to say. "Speaking of Ambassador Hagen, I thought you would like to know that Magister Carloni sent us an agent to place into the Kingdom Embassy. That is why I was in the Outer Ring when the trouble started. I instructed the girl to keep an eye on signore Ciccone especially. Perhaps she will learn if Ambassador Hagen is involved in the attempt on your life." He shrugged and steepled his fingers. "Not immediately or course, as I instructed her to keep a low profile at first and not expose herself too much."

Smataggio frowned at Rosalie's request, pausing a few flickers before nodding in acknowledgement. "My lips are sealed, madam Ambassador." Then he listened as she explained the situation, frowning only slightly, keeping the same calm demeanor despite the grave news. He nodded as she laid out the facts, indicating that he was indeed aware of quite a few things that went on, though Rosalie managed to extract a soft gasp when she mentioned Ramius and his actions. He was quite undisturbed by the news from the Mouth, accepting them as a fact and merely nodding for the lady to continue.

It was after her speech was delivered that Rosalie first saw Smataggio show excitement, the man rising from his seat and limping across the room, seemingly unable to simply sit down and think. "I don't have agents in the Mouth. I was assigned to Citadel and that is what I focused upon. However that does not mean I do not have contacts in the Mouth. The only problem would be reaching them." He paused and looked at Rosalie. "Could the messenger your mother sent deliver an innocent looking message when he return to the Mouth? He probably has a way back into the city and that would mean I do not have to devise a way to send a message in. Also, I will personally go through the reports we have and try to locate all the Condotierre contingents outside of the Mouth. We can send a message for them to join your brother in Aveas and let him keep them under control. Those in the Mouth are beyond our reach, but the rest we can control." He chewed his lip nervously before asking. "Do you need anything else? I will get on the job immediately if not."
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie didn't blanch as Smattagio realized that Rosalie had in effect already taken command of the Condotierre, even to possibly move against the interests of the Merchant Council, family as always going before the common good, but that was the rule of the Mouth. How could she not act and be true to her hometown? She believed Carloni wouldn't expect her to do anything less. Now that he was possibly dead, it rested on her young shoulders to replace him. Such ambition came as natural to Rose as breathing. She did not even stop for a flicker to consider it.

"The messenger will take back any message I request of him," Rosalie replied calmly. It was slightly ironic how much of the Mouth's fate rested on simple people, laborers, on all sides of the fence. What was a merchant without his servants?

She shook her head "No, nothing comes to mind right now, though without a doubt upon my brother's return I shall have need of you, Smattagio." The Ambassador gave him a glance. Her words were the closest she had ever come to expressing affection.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Smataggio was a practical man and though he would undoubtedly check on what Rosalie just told him and make sure that Magister Carloni was really and truly dead, absence of contact from the Mouth had him worried a bit and this explained it nicely. If indeed this had happened, he wanted to be on a winning side, and Rosalie seemed to be the only side he could reach and who would take him as part of her team, and thus he played along for now. He never liked to be a leader and the current situation suited him nicely.

"I'll prepare the letter and leave it on your desk in a few burns. You should have the approximate location of Condotierre contingents on your desk within a mark. I suggest we keep the news secret for now. At least until we can confirm them with absolute certainty. Same goes with any action we take, considering that success will determine whether we are seen as heroes or traitors afterwards. If you will excuse me, there is much to be done and not nearly enough time for me to do it." He waited a few flickers to see if she had anything else for him and then left, returning with an innocently looking letter that inquired about the state of someone's health and how brother's sheep business went. It was obviously coded, though not with any code she recognized.

OOC: Shall we do a fin here, or wait for Rame. He will be back on the first mark of ET that day.
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie nodded her dismissal, then arranged for her escort to be available for a trip to the establishment in which she had invested in. A cup of espresso would clear her mind and perhaps meeting with some locals might bring her news she wouldn't gather in any other way.

OOC: Rose will await Rame after Simple Pleasures. Fin :)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled and archived. :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”