Advisory Council Meeting (late TT, Chyril 27th)

Moderator: Mods

Meridiuz
The Webmaster & Game Designer

Post by Meridiuz »

Even though she had been in the Citadel for quite some time and she was used to wearing the local clothing, Yna had chosen for her formal Trothgard Ambassador's outfit today. It consisted of a cloak made out of leather skins, finished off with a white fur lining. Her hematite bead clearly visible in her hair. Although few of the people present would know what it stood for, she felt closer to her homeland than ever before, now that it was in it's darkest hour.

She rose from her seat as Hector gave her the word and gave the council members a small bow. Before she spoke she took a long, deep breath. The look on her face was determined and showed no fear or anxiousness. "Dear members of the Imperial Council, I have come to you today because Trothgard is under attack. Two days ago Skaali descended upon Rimmerhold and killed the Kona, the Council and all the priestesses of the Ijskoningin. After that he destroyed her temple."

She looked around the room, making sure they knew she was addressing all of them. "Immediately after that a large contingent of the White Ones approached the city and summoned a Dreki, or Dragon. A handful of brave warriors were able to stop the Dreki, but not before it had destroyed Rimmerhold. We believe Skaali is controlling the White Ones. Eyewitnesses have seen him retreat after the dragon was destroyed. His current location is unknown." Of course there was more to the story than she was telling right now. She still had her doubts about Skaali being in control of the White Ones, but she was not planning to tell the council about the Covenant of the Secret Fire, and thus, she left certain details out of her story.

"I stand before you today to ask for your help. Trothgard is in chaos and is still under attack. We have no idea where the enemy is and communication is hard due to the fact that the portal in Rimmerhold has also been destroyed. I believe that Trothgard is just the first step. Skaali will not stop there. It is therefore not only in our benefit to send aid, but also in all of yours." Her gaze now rested upon the Caesar. "I therefore request the Imperial Council to send aid to Trothgard to investigate the threat that Skaali might impose."
[i]Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger[/i] ~ Daft Punk
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

With the portal to their lands broken down, it had less of a chance of spilling to other lands. Quite frankly, he was in no rush to come to the aid of the lands of an Ice Goddess, when he was the Firebrand of Molten. Still, the ability to summon dragons weighed heavily on him, particularly if the creature could fly. That, and the fact that this woman was a member of the Empire which he was trying to become friends with.

This had nothing to do with Gulanadur, and he believed the focus should be beefing the defenses up of Citadel. Still, it would be difficult to get help to her anyway with the portal down. He awaited the Caesar's response to the plea before giving his opinion on the matter.

For a man to summon a corporeal being such as a dragon to the field of battle, he had to have a maddening amount of power behind him. For the Temple of Pecunia, they had to warm up the portal for several burns before sending someone through. If it was instant as she said it was, the Empire could have a serious problem.

He also looked to Lord Tamriel and his reaction. S'sinith's was one of genuine uneasiness before looking to the Trothgard Ambassador at the front. If there was no ink and parchment before him, he would take some from his satchel and start calculating how much energy it would take to summon a creature like that in an instant. The Council needed something of that length to assess what sort of a threat they were talking about.
Last edited by Ssinith DIllil on Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)
Rosalie Marcada
Baroness Marcada, Ambassador World's Mouth

Post by Rosalie Marcada »

A welcome face. For all that Rose looked down upon other races, dwarves came closest to respect and in the past Luther had done her kindness. Rosalie did not want the story to spread too much, but she knew that Luther at least was in her camp so to speak. "You are kind to inquire, milord. Illish lives, though he must take it easy, something that does not come natural to him," she whispered with a smile "A trifling problem regarding some magic. Sadly the University of Magicks seems to have its own concerns right now, so we have dealt with it with stopgap measures."

The meeting began. Chivalric order? An elegant eyebrow rose up as Rosalie considered its implications. She supposed that this country put such high importance on titles that to gain a chivalric title could actually be a good way of rewarding someone without even needing money or land. I rather have the money, Rose thought pratically.

However, the attentions shifted to Trothgard. Rosalie did not blink during the story. She had presumed the men had risen in rebellion, but this story, well.. it as something else entirely. Who or what is Skaali? What are these White Ones? How do they match with the stories about male rebellion? Are they one and the same? She knew better than to ask for she didn't want to appear foolish. At any other time Rosalie would have grabbed this time to show the skills of the Condotierre fleet, offering her aid. They were no match for some dragon, surely. Too, Trothgard was an important source for crystal. However, as it was she was lucky if they managed to keep hold of Aveas, nor did the council need to know that World's Mouth would kill to get their hands on Trothgard's crystal resource, such a vital element in airships machinery.

The other councillors appeared to be held back by similar concerns. Nobody spoke up, watching each other. "It is the duty of the Empire to protect all its citizens, especially if aid is asked for," Rosalie offered carefully, thinking as she went "However, at this unfortunate time is the Empire not stretched a little? Having just recovered from the War and.. associated incidents. This Skaali timed his attack well. Perhaps we can come up with a measured response that will not create weaknesses elsewhere that others might take advantage of." A sensible reply, sought to mollify Trothgard and its trade as well as recognizing her fellow councillors hesitation. Best of all it committed Aveas to nothing. "There too is the pride of the Trothgard nation to think of. Perhaps the Empire should commit to aid that will help the rightful rulers to regain their control with minimal interference from outsiders. It is always better to vanquish a foe yourself. What does the honourable representative of Trothgard think is the assistance you need to combat this Skaali yourself? Restoration of the portal? Some scouts to hunt the dragon? An unit of mages?"
[size=84][color=darkred]This character has resigned and is now a NPC.[/color]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinith continued his calculations as Rosalie was the first to speak, making valid points of his concerns already. The University was gone, the Purple Guard was disbanded, and the local guard wasn't handling things nearly as well as they could have been. Bringing military support was not going to be a good option right now.

(Human)

"... And... if I may also inquire, Lady Ambassador. I have some experience as a wizard. Your information about this Skaali troubles me. What are the White Ones, if I may ask? Have they magical capabilities, or did this Skaali summon the dragon under his own power? Also, how many priestesses were lost in the attack, and how big was the dragon? I may be able to roughly calculate what sort of a terror your lands are dealing with... because if the summoning of a creature of that size was as instant as you say, perhaps the destruction of the portal may be a half blessing. To have the power to bring corporeal beings to his aid at a distance like that..."

He shivered to himself as he sighed and tapped his quill to his paper while running his lithe fingers through his hair.

(Human)

"For those who have used to portals at the Temple of Pecunia, you know it takes a short warm up period to open a normal gate... and even that gate had to be built with utmost care and opened with much magical power by multiple priests for something the size of a few humans can cross. Even if he had an artifact to assist him in that sort of feat, the amount of energy it would take to transfer something the size of a dragon... instantly? If one man is controlling that much power, this has a potential to be a threat with the current state of the Empire. If you still have the remains of the dragon, perhaps we should study the creature to see what magics could have been used."

He cast an acknowledged glance to Rosalie with a slight nod, looking around to the other Council Members.

(Human)

"If he has the power to move something that big in such a short of time, he can use or alter portals. To open that portal may not be a wise move at this point in time. If we fix it and he is aware of it, he could trap the help inside the Aether... or worse, force something over to the other side. Whatever help we send would have to be by ship."
Last edited by Ssinith DIllil on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Andolin was one of the few mortals to have ever encountered a Goddess incarnate. That goddess was the Ice Queen. He had been supplied a cantrip for summoning her, and he had done so in the relative safety of the Basilisk Stare. She had been annoyed at the summons, but the Citadel had laid under her curse and Andolin had summoned her to learn the price of her release. To save himself her further displeasure, he had used his good luck amulet from Pan (the only charge he had used). The God of Mischief had turned her anger into sudden sensual pleasure as she disappeared. So, their meeting had ended on a rather uncomfortable note.

In a world where goddesses and gods were real, they needed to be honored. The death of her high priestess and temple was something that would be devastating to the Ice Queen. It might make one wonder why she had not provided the Kona more assistance, but the gods moved in mysterious ways and pursuant to some unwritten law. Still, Andolin was of a mind to curry her favor, even if her power was diminished.

Two members present spoke up in favor of intervention. Now, Andolin chose to weigh in with a third vote. "Trothgard is a valued member of the Empire. When a member is attacked cruelly, a temple of a goddess is destroyed, and the attacker uses sorcery that could endanger other members, I think it behooves us to lend ready assistance." His voice was calm and devoid of passion, as if this outcome was the only logical one.

"But tell us more of this Skaali Madam Ambassador and the White Ones. Not everyone in this room is well-versed in such persons. We need to understand who we are going after if we are to be effective. Tell us what aid you seek and how best we may stop this Sorcerer."
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Meridiuz

Post by Meridiuz »

Ina listened to the questions of Rosalie, ambassador of Aveas and Worlds Mouth, as well the questions of the ambassador of Gulanadur, but she waited for a response of the Caesar before she started to answer the questions. She knew the importance and the stubbornness of Rosalie, but she had not had the chance to get to know S'sinith that well yet. The man seemed to know quite a lot about the workings of magic. She had to be careful of what she was about to say next.

She gave a slight bow to all three of them before she answered their questions. "More than a century ago, a child washes up on the shores of Trothgard. He was brought to Rimmerhold and given as a slave to the clans. Tested by the priestesses, he was found to have the gjof. Because he was a male child, his talent was suppressed and hidden by the priestesses which turned out to be their worst mistake. As he grew in both age and power he became something of a embarrassing reminder that the women's power could be threatened. When they finally took steps to neutralize his power and strip it from him, he rebuked them and disappeared into the Juund Wastes. For more than a century, rumors have persisted about him and the tribal elders have always watched and waited for his eventual return." She paused for a flicker before continuing. "About a yahren ago, Skaali returned, leading a group of men with the intention of overthrowing the Trothgardian society. They claim to possess the same powers as the women have and so they want to have the same status. He started off with small attacks, but it seems he has been highly underestimated. He has succeeded in killing all the warrior priestesses of the Ice Queen, there were about 20 priestesses in the temple."

She sighed, for now came the hardest part of her explanation. "Unfortunately little is known about the White Ones. They are a mysterious and forgotten tribe of white skinned beings that live in the Juund region of Trothgard. Stories have been told about them in myths and legends, but none that live today have ever seen them alive before the attack on Rimmerhold. We do know that they have some sort of magical power, but what the source of their power is, that we do not know." She looked at S'sinith now. "They did not transport the Dreki, but summoned him, it was a magical being. Nonetheless, it was a clear display of their power. I agree with you that for now, the best thing is to keep the portal closed." She turned to the Caesar again. "I would therefore request a small contingent of the Imperial Guard to travel with Iorna and Hex, two of our finest warriors, to set up camp in Rimmerhold and see what can be done to rebuild the city. Even though most of our priestesses have been killed, there are still a few of us left, not to mention our strong warrior women. Once a stable camp has been set up and we have had a chance to organize amongst our own people, the men from the Imperial Guard can be sent back to the Citadel if needed. All I ask of you is a chance to re-organize ourselves so that we can fight back."
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Blah, blah, blah. Anora could feel boredom taking over her body as she sat next to Silk, the strange lady going on and on about someone being attacked by someone else. As self-absorbed as she could be, she couldn't help wonder how this could benefit her. Fighting means booty. What kind of treasures can be plundered?

Her mind continued to wander, floating over the last few days. She had gone from a male impersonating pick pocket to a female trying to seduce a ruler and taking lovemaking lessons from a Panling. It was interesting, but she found more fun in being someone else. Taking on a different personality. Hiding her true self, that mercenary pirate heart of hers. And what would happen if she stayed here and the truth about her father was found out? Could she live here still? Perhaps she needed to explore a bit more, see more of Tazlure. Become someone else. Do something else. Though, she rather liked Silk and could learn so much from him.

As her mind wandered internally, a coin absently appeared in her hand and moved easily over her fingers, keeping them nimble.
[color=darkblue][i][b]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.[/b][/i][/color]
Dorothy Parker

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Upon hearing this he sighed quietly in relief... alright, it was bad, but not as obscene as he had thought when he started the calculations. He respected the fact that they wanted to take care of the problem themselves and nodded when he was addressed during the explanation.

Personally, he didn't want to tread on the squabble of another nation's goddess. Quite frankly, the Ice Queen was the polar opposite of Molten. There was, however, a common denominator between Molten and the Ice Queen and that was rage. Anger was a dish which could be served cold or hot. He was in the middle of a storm on the surface during the war, and as he recalled in his Theology studies, the Ice Queen had that control.

[Human]

"Though we are not people of the ice, we are people of caverns. There may be a difference between stone and ice, but close quarter fighting in underground areas will prove useful around the mountain areas. The experience will broaden the war tactics of both of our people. If you are not apprehensive of working with those who worship a male god of fire, I can put you into contact with House Maerret to send you our weapons and knowledge."

He was not being condescending to the Ice Queen as he spoke, but rather as a man who understood how faith and belief in the gods worked. They had spiritual taboos and their own ways, just as those of Gulanadur had. He gave her a look, however, of understanding... almost knowing that the offer would be declined because it would please her goddess. It was... a reverse prayer if you would. To pray directly to the Ice Queen would be a blasphemy, but to offer his services in order to keep the order of power in check, thereby honoring his god in the process.

[Human]

"You will need all the favor of your own goddess to win this, Lady Ambassador. As a member of the Empire, however, you are also a part of Gulanadur's power, which I respect as a Moltenite. As this is a battle based on faith, I will completely understand and respect your refusal."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie listened and learned.

Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer. Rosalie wondered why the child had not been killed by the priestesses, or neutralized when they first discovered gjof, or whatever dreadful virus that was. Waiting for a rebel teenager to return for over a century and not expecting blacklash in the form of bloodlust filled revenge was the sheerest negligence. What they lacked in political shrewdness and ruthlessness though, they more than made up in female strength. For a moment the Ambassador revelled in the thought of a society openly ruled by women.

Most of the talk was on magick and faith, subjects Rosalie hadn't know much about before she came to the Citadel. However in this barbaric empire she had been forced to update that knowledge rather promptly. White skinned beings? She means non-humans. More barbarism, no doubt. These creatures needed to be shown their natural place.

Since Rosalie was not planning on offering the Lykos which was needed to protect Aveas from the pirates and other scum that wanted a piece of it, instead the councillor offered simply her support "I second the request of the Trothgard Ambassador. Let us help those who help themselves."
Last edited by Rosalie Marcada on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Frankly, left to his own devices, Andolin would not only sympathize with Skaali, he might have aided him in crushing the unfair matriarchal society of Trothgard. It sounded as if they had it coming.

Yet, Andolin was ever a creature of opportunity. Joining the Imperial army to those of Skaali would cause the other rulers of the Isles to fear that they would likewise be betrayed by a popular uprising. He could imagine Kislovan being sensitive to this. As he wanted both Trothgard and Kislovan's votes on the Council, plus the things that a dowry from each might bring, he needed to cater to Aesa and the women of Trothgard.

"The support of the new Kona and the people of Trothgard has my support. I believe the Ambassador's request for aid is rather modest, which makes it all the more compelling," he declared as he sat back to watch if any would oppose the idea.
Meridiuz

Post by Meridiuz »

The offer of Ambassador Ssinith took Ina completely by surprise, but as she thought about it, she realized it was a very strategic move of the young dark adhiel. What he couldn't know however was the fact that Ina was looking for some kind of surprise angle in Trothgard. She suspected Skaali wasn't the one controlling the White Ones. And whomever it was, wouldn't be expecting any dark adhiel to show up on the playing field.
She turned towards Ssinith and bowed. "Traditionally I would have respectfully refused your offer, Ambassador." She paused for a flicker, increasing the surprise of her next words. "However, these are unconventional times and I believe they call for unconventional methods. I accept your offer, Ambassador. I would highly appreciate all the help you can give us. Fire and Ice will battle the darkness together."

Ina bowed to Rosalie as well before she moved to the Caesar. She waited a moment to wait for any other opposition, but none came. Silk appeared to be neutral in the matter, which meant that he was either fully in favor of the Caesars decision or he did not see any chance to stop it at this time. Since no other opinions were expressed, Ina thanked the Caesar and the entire Empire for their aid and sat down again, waiting for Hector to continue to the next point on the agenda.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinith nearly dropped his quill at the acceptance while blinking in shock. His brows raised in a look of mixed surprise and respect. Perhaps there was a slight fear involved as well, hoping that the two gods would not come into conflict with one another.

Nodding to himself, he shook his head from the surprise and made a note to contact House Maerett. Scha'Mur already had a potential deal on the way, and he had hoped to contact D'Altamooriana should the contact with Ketch go one step too far. He didn't need an entire regiment for this... merely a seasoned veteran who knew how to work in the caverns and a few who were willing to learn about this new surface experience of fighting in the cold.

Gulanadur was also a somewhat Matriarchal society and understood the concept of a "pecking order" well. The Bowl was spreading it's wings far across the Empire now. He prayed that his Queen would be most pleased...

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Rosalie Marcada

Seeing no further opposition, Rosalie bent towards the Lady Ambassador and softly congratulated her on her success. The Gulanadur Mage Ambassador got a thoughtful look. There was much that their nations could mean for each other and in due time a closer association would perhaps be wise.

Then of course Rosalie concentrated on the rest of the agenda, knowing the most important bit had just been decided. Now, I wonder if there shall be any posturing for the open seats or if that decision shall be delayed.
Last edited by Rosalie Marcada on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meridiuz

Post by Meridiuz »

To speed things up, I'm summarizing a couple of the agenda points:

Next up was the feud between Silk and Manyana. Most, if not all of the Council members were surprised to see Silk alive and well in the council that day. A lot of questions were unanswered and since Silk was present, this didn't seem like the time to ask the question how this could have actually happened and what were the consequences of Manyana's death. It was decided that a committee was to be formed which would investigate the matter. The results would be discussed in the next Council Meeting.

The third point on the agenda was the fact of Rosalie's take over of Aveas. Here too were many questions and even though Rosalie was present to defend herself, it was decided that a neutral committee had to be formed to investigate this matter from all sides. The objective results would be discussed in the next Council Meeting.

The fourth point was the disappearance of the University of Magick. It was argued that the grounds would have reverted back to the city. However, one spire remained and even though it was heavily argued, the grounds remained property of the University. It was agreed upon that negotiations had to be made on what the new situation meant financially. It had been common practice for the government to pay the tuition for promising students in exchange fir the University's aid when it was needed. This agreement had to be reviewed now that the University itself wasn't in the Citadel anymore.

As an effect of the previous agenda points, the matter of the empty seats in the council was adjourned to the next Council Meeting when everyone would have a clear view on who was responsible for what and then the votes on this matter could be fully trusted.

As a final round, Hector gave the floor to anyone who had any additional points on the agenda. He gave the Caesar the first chance to raise any points he might have.
Last edited by Meridiuz on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinith listened to points two and three, but merely gave brief opinion since he knew little of the circumstances. The topic of the University of Magic, however, was something he listened to hear both sides of the arguement before suggesting that an amiable solution for both sides of the party be found, since Citadel would be in dire need of people with a good education after the riots and displaced people.

He waited for the Caesar to bring up his points before voicing his concerns about the state of the military.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie had felt confident in defending the expansion of the WM colony beyond the city of Aveas. It was, ironically, to keep other factions of WM out of the colony and not just the Western Kingdom always looming just beyond its borders. It might yet serve to bring the entire colony closer into the Empire. That at least was the defense that she knew Erwin would give for his most profitable support of the venture.

Perhaps it was just as well that the matter got deferred to a committee. By the time that those so called neutral observers would file their report the changes would be already so strongly in place that a reversal would be impossible, or so Rose thought at least.

Meanwhile Rose would use the coming months to seek closer relationships with both Dort and Gulanadur, both for the Mouth and of course her more private enterprises. The main thing was the coffeeharvest, her precious espresso, was safe, but it also opened new possibilities such as her financial support for Simple Pleasures allowing for more expansion or the exploration of other products of Aveas and beyond.

Short business was made of the rest of the agenda as well. Clearly the power balance itself had to realign itself before councilors felt comfortable committing themselves.

Staying just short of humming softly Rosalie gave the Caesar an expectant yet polite look. The way Hector had phrased his comments made it seem that Andolin had more business to put to the table.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

How could he dispute the formation of committees to resolve difficult issues? It was better for others to bear the strain of investigation. As Caesar, he had too much to do.

"Members of the Council," he addressed the gathering as he stood. "As you know, for the good of the Empire, I will seek to wed one or more ladies of the Empire. Tradition has dictated that the first wife is designated Caesarii, with the honor and duties that come with it. Though I do not need the blessings of this Council to choose brides, there is a change in tradition that I would propose." Here he paused to ensure he had the attention of the assembly.

"As I would like to seek marriage alliances with the families of some of the members in this room, and the finest families in the Empire, I feel that it would be both unfortunate and detrimental to the good of the Empire to have tradition dictate that the first wife is Caesarii. The effect of such a tradition will stall my ability to marry, as each candidate will negotiate to be the first wife, and the choice of one may preclude another."

"I propose that the Empire should seek the finest Houses in the Empire to send forth their best representatives to be Caesarii, but the choice as to first Caesarii be determined a yahren later. Until that time, all wives would enjoy the same status. Then, one would be selected as most worthy to represent the Empire as the lead Caesarii. I would make a recommendation to the Council, and the Council would vote. If the majority of the vote supports it, then she shall be Caesarii. The other wives would be due great honor as well, of course, but one would take primary responsibility here in the Citadel."

"Rather than giving me the sole power to determine who will be Caesarii, I am willing to yield that, so that I can choose the most worthy from amongst the wives ... with your concurrence. Thus, you gain a voice and, more importantly, the best candidate."

Andolin's plan was not without risks. To the good, he would be able to arrange marriages more readily without having to decide which wives were first. It would also incentivize the ambitious ones to be nice to him during the yahren, so that he might nominate them. To the bad, things could really turn ugly when he was forced to make a decision; but, if he played his cards right, he could blame the Council for any unhappiness.
Last edited by Andolin on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

S'sinith knew he could not make such a decision without the crown, but knew who their lead candidate would be. Still, he did not want to appear to throw all of his weight around and acting without the knowledge of the noble houses, as he was already being a little tedious with offering aid. Still, he said he would contact the noble houses for Trothgard, letting them decide what aid to give.

[Human]
"I am not of the royal line to make such a decision, but I will pass this information to my superiors to see whom they choose for the honor."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

For the most part, Secretary looked disinterested in the discussion even though bellow the surface his mind was awash with thoughts. He actually approved of the quick agreement that came over the Trothgard matter, finding the unity the Council exhibited rather refreshing. He did glance at Rosalie and smiled at her words, leaning towards Anora and murmuring softly. “You can go sit somewhere else if you wish. This will take a while.” Then he settled back and merely listened, an almost imperceptible smile upon his lips. The kind of smile a proud father would have observing his children at play, admiring how big and smart they became.

Then came Caesar’s speech and Silk arched a brow, waving Anora over hurriedly and catching Hector’s attention, indicating he would like to address the Council on this matter. With her aid he struggled upright and hobbled forward leaning upon the cane heavily, favoring his injured leg. It did not hurt that badly, but there were appearances to consider here. “I fear I do not understand Your Majesty’s proposal. Could be the age. Or perhaps the shock of what I just went through.” For a flicker he leaned further upon the cane, taking a deep, steadying breath. “You would give up thing that has been the holy right of Caesar and others that sat on the Imperial throne? Give yourself into our hands and trust we would make the best choice for you? Forgive me if I do not feel comfortable having such a power.”

He glanced at the other councilors and then focused his gaze on Andolin. “Could you not simply promise to marry a lady, but leave it at that until you had picked a Caesarii? And I do think it should be your choice. Future of the Empire might very well depend upon it. We all know the legend and I for one believe it to be true. Your seed spilled in the act with your first wife, the woman you love most of all would bring fertility and prosperity to the Empire. And it is the son you beget with her that will be the foremost candidate for the next Caesar, to be considered before all the others.” He took two steps towards him, and leaned closer, lowering his voice, though he was heard by all. “Please, Your Highness. I beseech you to withdraw this proposal and keep the old customs alive. We should not play with tradition and will of the Gods. Do it for the good of the Empire. Do it because it is in your best interest. I fear I can not support this proposal and I tell you now that I will vote against it.”
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie's eyebrows rose slightly at the proposal of the Caesar. She was preparing her reply when suddenly one of the more quite, yet all the more influential councillors jumped up in a show of passion. Quite the closet romantic, Rosalie observed to herself, wondering immediately if there was something in the man's past, a love lost perhaps after which he had turned into a dark shadow of himself. Men are such silly creatures.

"I find myself opposed to the proposal as well, though perhaps for different reasons than the esteemed councillor," the petite lady spoke up with her throaty voice. She shrugged artlessly "I do not see what love has to do with marriages. Perhaps that is an altogether too romantic notion for a citizen of the Mouth, or indeed the Citadel. Most of the matches the Caesar makes in the yahren to come will be political, while love might be relegated to a host of mistresses." Her lips plied themselves into a little smirk "Nor do I see the Caesar as a man spilling his seed. Indeed rumour has it he found various vessels for it already and spreads it around readily. I think we shall not have to worry much about that."

"Perhaps though the council needs more information on this myth?" the Aveas representative suggested as a way to divert attention "What need does all this loving serve?"

"Meanwhile, I would council that such a young Empire as The Seven Isles often borrows its traditions for its local areas and predecessors. Even more so than in ancient countries traditions are important to bind people and reassure them."None knew this better than the people of the Mouth, who had broken many a mold first by replacing the Noble Council with the Merchant Council and then by declaring their independence from the Western Kingdom. It made the Mouthies very traditional people indeed.

"Hence having 7 wives, or marrying in the first place. It seems illogical to hold to one tradition and break another. "

Rosalie was warming up now "From a political viewpoint, would it not be nearly impossible not to arrange who becomes the Caesarii beforehand? Naturally all will view their candidate as the most important and will spend the yahren trying to create mischief. A recipe for chaos if you ask me. Quite a few brides might find themselves killed to ensure they are not around a yahren later. Ah, and the children.. the wave of babes that will arrive before the yahren runs out, all the ladies trying to ensure they give birth to the true heir. "
Last edited by Rosalie Marcada on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

This was a surprise. First Silk stood to oppose something that would give him more power to manipulate things. How curious. It only made Andolin all the more suspicious. Silk rarely displayed weakness in front of anyone, and he was not thought to be especially pious when it came to the gods.

Turning to the Priestess of the Mother, a member of the Council, Andolin asked, "how important is this tradition to the gods? I would not think they would care how a Caesarii is selected," he posed. "I am no expert on divine will." He might prefer to ask Illish, daughter of Pan, but this was a fertility rite that sounded more suitable to the High Priestess of the Mother.

Then it was Rosalie who spoke against it, but for different reasons. As she hinted at his weakness for ladies, he was left to give her a jesting look that all but accused her of being jealous.

She was right about one thing. Marriage by Caesar was done for political reasons, not love. It was for lesser men to marry for love. Frankly, it was dangerous to profess love for one wife and not another. Did not the Council members see the danger in this? Perhaps that is why Silk wishes to keep the tradition -- to ruin my marriages.

Andolin wanted to marry the women because he wanted the dowries of each. It was not that he was a poor man. Far from it, he was quite wealthy; but, he craved lands and magical items that were not in his possession. Simple promises to marry could be broken. Keeping brides waiting for months and yahren even was not something that was appealing either. He supposed that it would leave him free to dally with the various ladies at court while the months passed, but he would be no closer to producing an heir, which he sought to do so at first opportunity.

Rosalie was wrong on the other matter. If they were already married, they would need to be on their best behaviour if they wanted to be Caesarii. If the choice must be up front, it may be a self-fulfilling prophecy that I have only one wife. Some will refuse to marry me if they are not married first. He supposed that the Kona would not care, nor any other lady who did not wish to reside in the Citadel. But, how many others.

"What do you others say? I will abide by the wishes of the Council." If they voted against it, he would need to rethink his strategy.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Vlast wanted to marry the Caesar. This would heighten the chances greatly, however, he also saw the political problems which could occur from this. He weighed in all of the factors. Rosalie made the common sense and political factors he had thought of known.

"I actually commend the Caesar for offering more power to the people rather than keeping it to himself. If we are to work together as an Empire, there should be more voice to the people."

S'sinith was a man who worshiped power. He paused a moment, however, to collect his words before speaking them in human because it was not his preferred language and he wanted to make his points clear.

"I do, however, agree with the pointed flaws in the plan. An entire Yahren would make way for war, not unity. I am not learned enough in the traditions which keep this land to know the supernatural consequences to such an act either, so further consultation with the gods is something I require before I vote yes."

He did not vote yes or no, as he made the point that the plan needed to be modified. He knew Vlast was a ruthless woman, but he could not afford to put a target on her head for an entire Yahren. No, perhaps a month or two. Maybe tests to see who is truly worthy as a leader of an entire Empire.

"I will say this... I will not see another Charlemagne. If the Caesari must be voted on, thus must be the true heir by the same Council. This way, people of all races have a voice in whom the leader of the Empire should be. If it is the Caesar's will to relinquish the tradition on the first wife, then to balance the scales, he must also relinquish it to the first son and allow the council to vote on the best Caesar as well."

S'sinith knew he made one very bold statement. He knew Lord Tamriel would like this idea, considering his mention of repeated history with the great king. Tradition is what killed the great king and it took the revolutionary Lagnoratius to send it into the right direction.

"As the plan stands now, I am opposed to it. I would, however, like to see it reworked. History has a way of shoving tradition to the side in favor of escaping the original kingdom. Our traditions now are because we tried to escape the traditions of old. It is up to us to decide whether we feel if the time is right for a change or not."

S'sinith didn't seem to lean in either direction of change or traditionalism. It was merely a spark to light a fire.

And oh, how his god loved fire!
Last edited by Ssinith DIllil on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Rosalie Marcada

Rosalie rose her eyebrows innocently at Andolin as if she didn't know what he meant. While he had earlier suggested he could help her with any magickal problems (and she promised him quite some liberties in return knowing he had sought it of her before) such things had never been consummated and more by coincidence than design she was still faithful to her Baron. Nor, did she tell herself, did she ever desire more. No, let the Caesar drown himself in as many wenches possible and leave the Council to do the hard work.

"What is the point of assigning a Caesari if she is not the one to bare the heir?" Rosalie asked in surprise when the Gulanadur Ambassador spoke up, amending "Though, I agree with the honourable councillor that yes, a vote for the people is something to be commended." Rosalie smiled sweetly. In the Mouth they always claimed it was the people that ruled, even though it was a select group of rich merchants. One could go a long way with keeping the mob occupied with just enough bread to survive and the occasional entertainment.

Rosalie shrugged, not in favour ever of ignoring traditions (it seemed so impolite to forefathers), but she had shown before she could work around change nonetheless. "If we must have a Council vote then let it be upon the heir instead of the Caesari and allow the Caesar to produce as many as possible to choose from while keeping all wives equal. However, it will keep the Imperial Guards busy, I can predict that much."
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

"What is the point of assigning a Caesari if she is not the one to bare the heir?"

"For leadership."

In Gulanadur, the women were the ones in charge. Though he knew the Caesar was in charge, he knew how powerful a female influence could be.

"Whomever is the closest to the Caesar takes care of him in many of his ways. It would be important to have her as the most skilled and not just the heir-bearer."

He nodded at Rosalie as he listened to the rest of her argument. She had a strong point, so instead he calmly asked another question. He knew the power of a female leader, thus his tone was very respectful and almost inquisitive since he was obviously younger than her and desiring to learn.

"Would not having seven wives, Caesari or not, yield a similar result anyway? In the case of Charlemange, it was three of his own children who started the war. If he is taking the right of having multiple wives, there will always be some conflict."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Silk found the whole debate insanely amusing, judging by his smile as the younger Council members argued for and against the Caesar’s proposal. He allowed them a time to finish before striving to rise again and then giving up, pushing his wheelchair into the center of the room and raising his hands until the people around him quieted down. “Please, my fellow member of the Imperial Council. We are counting our eggs before they are hatched. We do not yet have a single candidate for Caesar’s wife let alone Caesarii and we are already discussing potential heirs. I would remind you that even the heir, which has always been Caesar’s first born son from his marriage to the Caesarii has to be elected by the Council. So people still have a measure of say in it.” People mentioned were of course member of the Council, but there was no need to say it out loud.

With a creak he turned to face Mother Abeaja of the Temple of Mother and smiled with an incline of his head. “If you will permit me a bit more time before you answer His Highness?” He did not wait for a reply but simply went onward, this time turning to face Andolin. There is power in tradition and it matters not whether it is merely a legend or truth and nothing but the truth. Tradition is something people believe in and something they live by.” He paused and let it sink it. “While you and I and all the people gathered here could be assured that the Empire would survive without a true Caesarii, it is not us you need to convince but the people of your country. And convincing the multitude of people that populate the seven isles that something they and their ancestors believe in is nothing but a legend is not easy. Logic and evidence will not work. People by default are suspicious of any change and that is why tradition needs to be followed. Lose the support of your people and you will lose the support of the Council. As powerful as we are, every one of us is held accountable by the people we represent.” He paused and smiled, wanting to show it was not true for himself in particular. “We can only push against their will for so long and then we will have to pull our support. The question is, do you think you can convince the people that silly traditions like first wife of the Caesar being Caesarii need not be followed? And more importantly, can you do it in the span of a yahren?”
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”