Taking Care of Business - Chy 22 late ET (open)

Moderator: Mods

Claire Owens
Civus

Taking Care of Business - Chy 22 late ET (open)

Post by Claire Owens »

It was a mark before gravetide when Claire arrived back at the Pleasures, by carriage, more quiet and sombre than she normally appeared in front of the customers. While not exactly in a bad mood, she was tired, and the sunny hostess in her had given up for the day. All she wanted to do was have a discussion with Keros and the staff, change a few minor ways in which the cafe ran, interview their new employee and then go to sleep. Beige, mundane matters after the fairytale of the Synkaaros wedding, but that was life.

She slipped in through the back entrance and headed to her room to change into something more comfortable. The pretty blue gown was shed for a pair of plain leather breeches and a dull grey shirt. Over the top went a long and battered duffle coat, frayed at the hems and patched at the elbows. It was one damn ugly garment and despite vigorous scrubbing, the smell of smoke and fish oil had never quite left it. She kept it for its warmth and familiarity, and because it had sentimental value.

Wiping off the rouge and the powder, she almost felt like the old Claire Owens again. Actually, she kinda missed the scrawny wharf brat from Hafne. Maybe she'd take her out for a spin, for an ale at the Burpin' Dragon or the Ha'Penny Mermaid. Not the Red Banner - Keros liked the place, but it wasn't really her kind of joint.

Then she remembered the note from the morning, which in the excitement of the day, had completely dropped from her mind. She stepped out into the hall to knock on her friend's room door. No reply. She bit her lip.

No need to worry yet... maybe he's downstairs. Or still out having fun.

Descending down the stairs to the kitchens, Claire expected to find the cafe quiet. Business could get slow at this time of the night, and she assumed that many of their patrons would have deserted them to join the revelries at the Banner anyway. Whatever the state of affairs was, the first thing she did was to approach one of the staff behind the counter and ask... "Even'tide. How's the tide been? Is Kewos back yet?"
[size=75][b]"The heart wants not coffee nor coffee houses. The heart wants a friend. Coffee is only an excuse." - Old Turkish saying[/b]

Avatar by crystaldragon at allavatars.com[/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Post by Aerin Penna Seleratus »

Aerin had taken time to freshen up as well, binding her curled locks into a manageable ponytail and using a damp cloth to wipe away the grime of the day before changing into cleaner attire. She was anxious to begin working not only for the opportunity to give her often restless hands something to do but also for the comradeship to relieve some of the alienation that she felt with her new surroundings. As she finished tying up her varied laces, she recalled a conversation that she had once held with Rat on the subject.*

"I would hate to be a barmaid... It must be the most drab existence ever created, aside from that of a manure shoveler." Aerin's offhand comment brought forth a low chuckle from various people at the table, including Rat. Squinted eyes and a cutely-crinkled nose scanned each mirth-filled face in turn, hardening gradually into a glare at her mentor. "What?"

Rat shrugged and smiled, taking a sip of his wyne before answering. "It would seem so, would it not? But you only see what they want you to see, which works in their advantage."

"What do you mean 'what they want me to see?' What else is there to see? The adventure-filled trips to the sinks and stoves? The awe-inspiring moment when they get to scrape uneaten food into a bin? What?"

Rat took her sarcasm in stride, leveling a finger at a nearby blond. "Watch her until I speak again and then - only then - tell me what you observed. Watch the patrons as well, my little fireball, and pay attention." Aerin did as bid, trying to keep her mind from wandering in the tedium of watching the barmaid work. The target was unusually pert and attentive for it being such a late mark - a trait which Aerin scowled at - but she did make a mental note of two things that she had never noticed before.

"Aerin?" Rat asked with a smile.

"She..." Aerin began, focusing on the woman's actions and testing for pattern. "She does not get annoyed at having to wait to be noticed by the people at the table. This even makes her happier somehow?" Rat hummed an affirmative and indicated that she should continue. "...and sometimes, she will take an order without anyone saying a word to her or even...even being nearby...oh, by the Aether, why had I not noticed it before? She's..." Rat's hand on her forearm, coupled with a tight squeeze, had snapped her into silence as another barmaid approached their table to refill their drinks. Not a word was said by Rat and the others, save for a pleasantry or two as their cups once again brimmed with savory fluids.

"Yes..." Rat said finally, once the second barmaid was out of earshot. "Neither king nor knave have a more potent spy network than the one that these 'drab souls' make up. It starts out innocently enough, an accidental eavesdropping here, an intentional eavesdropping there...simple kitchen talk, really, to lighten their day until someone actually hands them a coin to hear what they heard. Tips and wages be damned, many of these ladies and lads soon have a small fortune amassed simply for knowing what to listen for and who to sell the stories to. Those who know this know when to shut the hell up, those oblivious to the world around them just keep right on turning their breath into Crowns for the ladies who stoop to serve. 'Drab existence', my ass... Information, Aerin..." Rat chuckled as he drained his cup. "These poor, unfortunate serving wenches are the true queens of the kingdoms. Without them, we would be lost." The blond which Aerin had been watching, as if on cue, approached their table and hugged Rat lovingly, placing her buttocks purposefully within his right hand. The green monster of envy began to snake its way up Aerin's throat with claws of acid until she saw that the woman was spending a bit long with her mouth pressed against Rat's ear and that Rat, amid his fondling of the woman's rump, had slipped a few coins into an almost hidden pocket in her skirts. "Thank you, love..." Rat said finally, giving her a final near-intimate pat before rising and separating from her.

"Our man's ship leaves a mark before Morningtide and he requested that Cherie..." Rat said, indicating the retreating blond "...meet him at the end of her shift one mark from now for a little bit of de-clothed dancing. We move. Aerin...you pay - and tip." The small crew stood and Aerin obliged without question. For the lesson that Aerin had just learned, she was more than happy to pay for a few meals and, if the situation ever arose where she needed to fill the role, Aerin felt that she would be much less resistant to walking a mile in a barmaid's shoes from now on.

The front door of Simple Pleasures loomed before her as it had once before, and Aerin checked her clothing to make sure that she was presentable before stepping inside. She had not requested the job simply for the access to knowledge - although it was a very nice perk - but also to gain trust and stability in herself and those around her. To do an honest day's work for an honest day's pay and perhaps make a friend or two along the way. The job would pay well, as would any extracurricular work, but she knew that she would never be rich enough to turn down the offer of friendship. Aerin took a deep breath and began mentally reciting Claire's name to herself as she made her way to the counters, seeking out the woman who had invited her to the meeting.[hr]* OOC: I like to use flashbacks to 'character history' moments like this to help enrich character development and to give the reader a deeper glimpse into the character's core values/ideals/etc., Please let me know if this crosses any lines rules-wise and I will amend the post. Thanks. [/hr]
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Avatar by Draconis (Found and resized by Paige)
http://drakonis.org
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

OOC: It shouldn't be an issue provided it doesn't interfere with current events. I'm going to start moving us on and and taking a few liberties here since Grey Wolf and Erysa are both busy. Hope it's not a problem.

He had not returned. A fretful Claire decided to close the shop early and asked the staff to start shooing the customers out. As they went about their business, she noticed Aerin and waved at her with a distracted air.

"Aewin, hi, we're just closin' up. Good t' see you back, love. How's your day been?"

She ventured a smile but her heart wasn't in it. Faint lines of worry gathered between her eyebrows.
[size=75][b]"The heart wants not coffee nor coffee houses. The heart wants a friend. Coffee is only an excuse." - Old Turkish saying[/b]

Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Aerin knew not the cause, but certainly the symptoms as she made her way to Claire and noted the concerned distraction in the other woman's face. Something was certainly amiss and Aerin found herself mirroring the there-but-not-there smile as Aerin's own problems weighed heavily on her mind. At least, as far as Aerin knew, Claire was not having to grovel for money at a temple.

"My day has been fine..." Aerin replied with a shrug as she came to a stop next to Claire. "I still have a bit of business to conduct before I can officially enroll at the University, but I passed my skills test..." A brief memory drifted through the redhead's mind of the mini-people of her Aether vision. "...so that's a good start." Jade eyes narrowed at the woman in concern. "And your day? Is it the wedding or something else which weighs on your mind?"

Deep down, Aerin knew that the other woman would probably bury her thoughts and feelings not only to keep a professional air about her but also because of Aerin's still-fresh acquaintance - there are very few who would so readily entrust a relative stranger, Aerin thought.
[hr]OOC: Sounds fine with me.[/hr]
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Only an odd customer remained at this mark, and even they were slowly filing out, finishing their cups one by one. Darinn was just helping a sleepy looking elderly gent up to his feet, letting the man lean upon his shoulder and handing him the cane as they neared the door. Melly was busy wiping the tables clean as they became available, looking quite perky despite the time of the night. It was Thoman that informed Claire that Keros had not yet returned, though he could not tell where the young man had went. The only customers not looking ready to leave were a pair of merchants chatting amicably over their already cold cups of coffee.

OOC: Poke me if you need me. Small assumptions are fine by me.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Claire Owens
Civus

Post by Claire Owens »

“It’s Kewos. He went to the Red Banner and I… I don’t know why I should expect him back this early…” her words trailed away and for a moment the young achadiel looked every inch the insecure teenager.

Pull yerself together girl, she chided herself. He’s old enough to look after himself. Now Gods know how long Aerin’s been waiting to speak with you, so pay her mind. She pushed aside her worry and control reasserted itself, along with a bit of poise.

“Excuse me. Ah… if nobody’s told you yet, Kewos is the boss. That’s Kewos with an ‘r’. It’s silly, I know he’s old enough to look after himself, but he’s the closest to family I’ve got so ye’ll find me worryin’ after him like a little sister sometimes.” She chuckled and shrugged artlessly, then fixed her eyes on the scarlet-haired woman, noting that she too seemed rather weary.

A skills test and an interview? She must feel like she’s been under the pump all day…

“Hey, why don’tcha gwab a seat?” Claire suggested quickly. “You can come into the kitchen and I’ll fix us a cuppa while we wait for evewythin’ ta close. Forget about impwessin’ me just yet. I’d wather find out who I’m weally dealing with anyway.” Her mouth tilted in a warm, close-lipped smile, before twisting into a good-humoured, if cynical grin.

On one level, the achadiel’s invitation to candid conversation was exactly what it appeared to be. She truly did just want a chat with no agendas behind it. On another level, she realised that since she had come to the Citadel and begun living the life of someone else, her exchanges with others seemed all-too-often to twist themselves into a warped game of hide-and-seek.

She pressed on with hope that someday, things would be different. “So then, you’re a mage... can I ask, why do you want to work here? I don’t know how it works, but I always thought that the university supported their students while they studied.”

Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

“It’s Kewos. He went to the Red Banner and I… I don’t know why I should expect him back this early…”

Aerin nodded slowly in reply, although she really had no idea what or where this Red Banner was, nor Claire and Keros' relationship. Claire's continued words shed some, if very little light on the matter.

“Excuse me. Ah… if nobody’s told you yet, Kewos is the boss. That’s Kewos with an ‘r’. It’s silly, I know he’s old enough to look after himself, but he’s the closest to family I’ve got so ye’ll find me worryin’ after him like a little sister sometimes. Hey, why don’tcha gwab a seat? You can come into the kitchen and I’ll fix us a cuppa while we wait for evewythin’ ta close. Forget about impwessin’ me just yet. I’d wather find out who I’m weally dealing with anyway.”

Keros...'Kewos with an 'r''... Aerin not only mulled over the name but also Claire's odd - but cute - speech impediment. It seemed, to the redhead at least, to be a bit inconsistent, appearing in 'Keros', but not in "after"... in 'impressing', rather', and 'really', but not 'Red Banner'. Aerin nodded with a smile at the thought of conversation although she did not want to broach the subject of Claire's speech no matter how heavily her curiosity weighed on her mind. "Sounds great..." Aerin replied, showing that she was ready to follow Claire whenever she wished to go. "I, as well, had hoped that we could just talk for a bit before settling into business." Aerin returned the relaxing grin, feeling a bit of the weight lifting from her shoulders. When she had first met Claire in Simple Pleasures, it had been at what seemed to be a busy time in the woman's day and things had felt a little rushed and hurried. Her experiences with Professor Pralix and the upcoming trip to the temple aside, Aerin did, indeed, long for a break in stride and something warm to soothe her pallet.

“So then, you’re a mage... can I ask, why do you want to work here? I don’t know how it works, but I always thought that the university supported their students while they studied.”

Aerin gave a small chuckle at the words, partly for knowing that Claire could not possibly know of Aerin's finances and partly for the fact that - as someone who had only recently glimpsed the Aether - Aerin would hardly call herself a mage already. "Oh, they do, but they do not pay me to attend class, unfortunately, and at four Crowns per semester, I figure they are probably only 'providing' students with food and billeting out of part of that payment. Like renting a room and buying food in advance for a semester." Aerin paused and gave a little shrug. "The fact, however, that I only have two crowns and change to my name right now and need to raise another two to even attend is not wholly why I want to work here though..." Aerin's fingers flittered momentarily to her throat and danced quickly down a small span of cleavage before her hand flipped away from her breast in the universal sign language for money, the fingertips rubbed briskly by the thumb. "If money were the sole reason for employment, I think that neither of us are naive enough to not know that there are far easier and faster ways to earn coins than being a waitress..." she continued before looking around and indicating the room with a wave of her hand. "No..." Aerin continued after a small chuckle "I think that I want to work here mainly for the simple feeling of belonging... The money will be nice, but I would like a familiar setting in my day - a place away from books and studies - someplace warm and waiting...like a home...with 'siblings' of sorts - like the way that you have with Keros - with the others happy to see me each day and the chance to make new friends and contacts among the customers instead of sullenly sitting alone at my table watching both opportunity and time slip me by." Aerin gave an honest and expansive smile, coupled with a sigh. "That is why I wish to work here. Professor Pralix has instructed me to inquire at the Temple of Pernucia for sponsorship for my tuition so what I make here will not have to be scrimped and saved for that end, from the looks of it." A small, weak chuckle sounded in Aerin's breast. "Had I no need of money, Claire, I would probably offer to work for free." Another sigh escaped her lips at first and then through her nose as she bit back memories of her final moments with Rat. "One's pockets could be bulging with Crowns..." she finally stated a faint hint of remorse in her voice "...but I have yet to see coins shed a single tear at a graveside or share a hearty laugh with their owners when something amusing happens."

Aerin gave a small pause, suddenly realizing that - while she had been speaking unhurriedly, she had been rambling on a bit in her answer. "And what of you?” she asked Claire with sincerity. "What brought you through those doors as a profession?"[hr]OOC: Edited slightly for better readability and clarity of thought.[/hr]
Last edited by Aerin Penna Seleratus on Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Archived due to lack of activity.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Inner City Archive”