Jadmai At The Temple of Pecunia (CH 26th Late MT)

Moderator: Mods

Jadmai
Civus

Jadmai At The Temple of Pecunia (CH 26th Late MT)

Post by Jadmai »

The temple of the goddess of wealth is a sleek, simple building, standing about twenty meters high. Made of smooth, cool blue stone, the temple can only be described as businesslike. Above the gate, the name of Pecunia and the image of the goddess have been carved into the stone, the carvings filled up with gold dust. Templar guards stand watch before the gate, dressed in the finest armour and armed with the finest weaponry money can buy. Around the temple, many merchants have set up their stall, hoping to do business in the divine radiance of the patroness of material gain.

In front of you and to your left you see the Bank

Taking up almost more space than the place of worship itself, the bank is just about the central location of the temple of Pecunia. As the inventors of the banking system, Pecunian clerics have specialized in this branch. Merchants and the like stand in line before two marble desks, where clerks cribble away in ledgers filled with often meaningless numbers. The room is down to earth, simple in design, providing places for people to sit while waiting or to stand in line for a loan or deposit.

In front of you and to your right you see the Post Office

The post has long been associated with Pecunia. In times past, the postal system was brought, the faithful say, to the world by Pecunia herself, and the followers see it as their divine duty to maintain this moter of the economy. For a price, on can drop letters and small packages here, which the Pecunians will deliver, usually within a week to a month in time, depending on size and distance.

Directly in front of you is the Donation Box

This box, which should simply have been called enormous chest, sits near the exit of the temple, a priest attending it at all times. Various slots permit the deposit of valuables, even large gems, but the donation box is most strongly warded against theft: more than one thief has left the temple with one less hand to go about his roguish ways.

Merchants are seen here donating money at regular intervals, securing favors and good luck in obtaining profit.

Beyond that is the Altar

Made of pure, solid gold, this large altar sits in the middle of the main hall of worship. Here, the walls are adorned with scenes of important events of Pecunian myth, much like leaded windows, only here, the coloured glass has been substituted by gold, silver, and a variety of valuable gems. When the candles are lit, this whole room gains a glow, with all the light reflected from precious metals filling the room. It is in this glow that religious services are often conducted, with the faithful kneeling before the altar, and a priest of the faith leading it all.

Immediately to your left or right are the Meeting Corners

The corners of the temple, out of even elves earshot from everyone else, serve as places where one can speak with a priest privately. Masters of material gain, the priests of Pecunia are often sought out by businessmen and merchants for their expertise. Led to these corners, they are always given the very best of business advice... for a price. Often, a priest will request both a donation to the faith, and current information on the most recent events in the world of business.

There are several priest and guards standing about, any may be able to assist you.

A freshly rested, and inwardly-at-peace, Jadmai entered the temple. The Dark Adhiel carried everything he owned with him, which even while aquiring political power and a few power friends (these aquisitions were beyond any of Jadmai's dreams, for as a beggar in the Bazaar of Gulanadur, Jadmai considered his wanderlust of seeing the surface to be near unattainable, thus never had he entertained in his wildest fancies being a part of the adventures he had been through) all fit into one backpack. Jadmai never really labeled himself as having a profession at all, even when he served as an ambassador for Rafao Ionis, but that didn't mean the lithe Adhiel escaped having a reputation or being labled, and if he had to give a realistic guess as to what his reputation or label was, it would be a bladesmen. Jadmai would have to admit to not feeling completely whole, because he entered the sacred grounds with empty sheathes believing it to show respect to the goddes (deciding to carry his blades inside his backpack).

Still, he worn his sheathes, and his boiled-leather armor (albeit under his cloak) for though he wished to show respect, the Dark Adhiel was still a realist--the reason he was here was to portal to Pax, and from what the former captain of the Purple Guard, Ulder, the objective of there was to restore freedom, something that would surely require battle. It was imperative that Jadmai was ready, even more now that he could possibly be a late to arrive with the forces Ulder had gathered, and now there could be a great deal of unrest.

Jadmai made his way straight ahead to the donation box and deposited a modest donation of two lance. He then sought out the nearest priest to begin conducting his business.

"Greetings, good preist, my name is Jadmai Av'Zathrak, and I was wondering if we may conduct some business, we could adjourn to Meeting Corner if needed. Simple matters: a few inquires regarding Pax...if you might have heard any recent news, and then hoping to use your portal to find my way over there. If that can be arranged?"
"...war is the last flower on the evil tree."-- Betrand Russel
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Everything could be arranged at the Temple of Pecunia if the price was right. Everything had its price and the priests of the Goddess of Wealth were good about finding what that price was. It was a young acolyte that nodded politely to the dark adhiel\s request motioning to a nearby alcove and following him there, lowering himself upon the bench. "I fear I know little of the Pax matters, but let it not discourage you. If you will tell me what you need, I will be happy to inquire with my fellow Pecunians and return to you promptly. As for the using the portal, as you are no doubt aware, the Temple of Pecunia is open for any traveler who is not wanted by the law or exhibiting aggressive behavior in public. So, what is it that interest you regarding Pax and is there anything else I can help you with?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

The Dark Adhiel absently fingered his chin as the young acolyte spoke leading them to alcove, shedding an optimistic light on Jadmai's inquiries. A warm smile was given to the acolyte as he ended with a question that was geninue aim to please.

There was a moment when Jadmai was silent as he pondered how to best word his inquiry, however it was but a flicker, then he raised the corners of his mouth as if to reaffirm his smile, "Well," he said once they were comfortably tucked away in the alcove, "I won't even begin to put on airs, and pretend to be anything but ignorant on the topic of Pax. Any basic information that a travler should know would be most vauled. My chief concern would be in looking for an answer to this: In what spirit was Pax created?" Jadmai ran a thoughtful hand through his hair, and shrugged, "The reason that is my concern is due to the fact that what I can divine from word-of-mouth is that Pax was started as a settlement for...the undesirables (if you will), of the powers that be. Thus, under that logic, Pax looks to be a sort of refugee camp. At least that would be my perception, and all I ask is for this perception to be cleared up, so that I arrive having some sort of bearings. However, should my understanding be correct, I wonder as to how my arrival will be accepted on the other side of the portal?" The verbose, lithe one quirked an eyebrow, "Of course I plan on being perfectly civil--I just hope that sentiment would be returned. My race can provide the most curious reactions."

After Jadmai voiced his concerns he waved a dismissive hand, "Still, no matter how restless the natives might be, I would like the portal arranged promptly." Jadmai reached towards the purse on his hip, and produced three coronets, "I thank you for your alacrity and should hope it continues." He then leaned in a little closer, "If this sum should prove to be inadequate, or is not what is commonly expected for your services, please inform so that I can make any corrections."

As an afterthought Jadmai remembered the two requirements one needed to have to travel in a portal, and to avoid delay, added this bit of fact onto his statement, "Oh, by and by, my name is Jadmai Av'Zathrak, if you should need to refrence that to any document to see if I wanted by law, or if you should just need my word you have that too. Also, as it's plain to see, I am not conducting myself violently, I am most civil and plan to stay that way."

OOC: My apologies, your Wolfyness, I was VERY ill, and I thought that being the only person in a thread was a good time to mend myself, before I am surrounded by PCs and chance causing delays.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The acolyte took a deep breath at Jadmai's question, pondering his reply carefully, starting once but stopping before a sound issued from his lips. "Well, I frankly know a little more than you. And I can not give you any information with a certainty you might desire. Just what I already know and what you should take with a grain of salt. Is that acceptable?" He paused a moment and without waiting for a reply offered his view of the situation, giving the dark adhiel a chance to later ask for second opinion.

"As I understand, Pax Balthasar was meant to be a prison, though a rather unorthodox one. There was some truth in King Balthasar's words that he sought to protect pagans from persecution and to protect Oneists from pagan influence. I essence it is a walled off area near Border Estates with Pax Honestus Legion guarding it. By Royal decree it is the only area where it is allowed to worship other Gods besides Dominicus in Western Kingdom." He paused, frowning, trying to remember what more he could have said. "There were rumors of strange things happening there. Walls changing shape over the night. People ending up dead. As such a good deal of pagans left the city through the portal after the peace treaty." here he managed a chuckle. "I am not sure you are interested into Pax economy, but with that I could actually help you a bit more."

The man waved the money away, rising and motioning for Jadmai t follow him. "The price for portal to Pax is two coronets and two circlets. You can pay that to the portal operator. He will also note your name and destination and handle everything else." They passed a pair of immaculately dressed temple guards, each man dressed in a finely crafted suit of plate armor, the Temple of Pecunia investing heavily into security and thus preventing losses later on. As they passed a box resting next to the Temple door, the priest added helpfully. "You can donate the remainder of your money to the Temple if you wish. Just drop the coins through the opening on the box."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Jadmai let himself to be led by the acolyte to the portal operator. Upon arriving he would due as he was instructed by the the acolyte. Giving his name, paying the fee, and any other business.

After taking care of the business matters, and then began the waiting game if the information he provided was suffice. The Dark Adhiel then began to drum his fingers on the straps of his backpack. A tightness in his stomach surprised, and for a moment he wondered what the nether has caused that, but after a few flickers of thought, he remember that feeling. It was the feeling of nervousness, and that was a state of mind that Jadmai had not felt in some time...he was a little surprised by it.

He drew in a deep breathe, something he remembered was therapeutic to this situation, and then waited for the next step.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

There was not much more that needed to be done, the dark adhiel forced to wait only half a burn or so longer, as the portal operator rose, leafing through a leather bound book he pulled out of his pocket. He paused staring at a page for several flickers, taking a deep breath and then starting a droning incantations, arms held limply at his sides. The prayer was illegible, spoken through the nose, words flowing too fast to be truly distinguishable, his right arm rising as his voice rose in pitch. Index-finger touched several spots on the portal arch, tracing an arcane rune four times, silvery lines appearing on the rocks surface. As he drew the last rune the empty space within the arch shimmered, a silvery disk forming within it, its perfectly smooth surface lasting but a flicker before concentric waves began spreading outward in a slow rhythm, the room thrumming with power. "It is ready. Safe travels, milord." He stepped back, murmuring softly, keeping the portal open for Jadmai to pass through.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Silver hued bangs swayed side to side as the Dark Adhiel shook his head and gave a slight sigh. This will be the third time he has been sent through a portal and the feeling when the destination is reached was not entirely pleasant.

Jadmai approached the portal cautiously, yet confidently. He paused only briefly to nod to the portal operator whom offered good tidings. Jadmai was staring at the portal intently, but as the words were spoke to him he let his eyes slide over in a sidelong glance, gazing at the fellow for a second, "...Thank you." He said his voice hallow, then with a little more verve, "I thank you for your serivices. May your goddess shine blessings upon you, and your prayers be answered, if it be her will." His eyes slid back towards the shimmering portal.

A small swallow, that's all he allowed himself. With that swallow his nervousnes and hesitation would vanish. His resolve now steeled his mind, and steady his breathing.

Into the portal he went, and a new chapter of Jadmai Av'Zathraks long life began.
Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

Skilled and archived.
Daemons come out at night...and so do the rats.
Posting availability: Almost daily, if I can swing it.

Return to “Inner City Archive”