Mother's Heart,Daughter's Soul (MT, Ch 26th) (open)

Moderator: Mods

Deianeira Saitheria
Civus

Mother's Heart,Daughter's Soul (MT, Ch 26th) (open)

Post by Deianeira Saitheria »

Morningtide, Chyril 26th

The Mother's Temple

Amidst the flash and grandeur of some of the more showy temples sits the Mother's Temple of Citadel. A wide low building plainly shaped and missing much of the decoration apparent in the other places of worship, the Temple is constructed of the heavy gray stone that seems to be found everywhere on the isle. The workmanship is of such quality that there are no visible seams: the Temple appears one great, vaguely mound-shaped stone of various blended shades of gray.

The entrance is a wide open archway leading into an antechamber. The doors to the great chapel within are a wonder to behold: seemingly an infinite variety of woods and metals have been blended into an abstract, but comforting pattern decorating the two large doors.

Within is a large open chapel with a low ceiling. Rows of wooden benches provide seating for the large number of commoners, mostly women, that come here seeking the blessing and comfort of the Mother. A warm glow from several large oil lanterns provides both light and dancing shadows along the walls. Simple but well-crafted friezes depicting the various events associated with the Mother - planting, tending and harvest of the fields, fertility and childbirth, and gardening - to name a few.

Doorways lead off to the sides - perhaps into the separate chapel rumored to exist for the use of the Citadel's wealthier women; perhaps into the gardens and elemental shrines that are spoken of in whispers by those few devout worshippers who have been invited within. The Temple is pleasantly warm within in contrast to the chill weather that seems to have gripped the city outside. All in all, it is a sober, comforting atmosphere.

Deianeira exhaled. Looking up into the main chapel of the Temple of the Mother, Deia cleared her mind. She was less than worried, she could always return home if things didn't pan out and she was allowed to go home,if she hadn't found a house, but it worried her. Her world had been in a sort of muddy slide since early that morning.

"You're leaving!" Her mother's voice- one not often heard in the house- was loud, and angry but it rang true. Deianeira nodded. "I am, mother I can't continue to... be here at home, trying to be your little doll. I am nineteen and need to find my own way!"

Deianeira shook her head. She'd be angry at her mother when she stormed out early that morning, angry, fumming and hot headed. She had some money left to herself, and had come to the temple, hoping for advice. She looked around trying to find a priestess, someone, anyone to air her thoughts and complaints with.
Last edited by Deianeira Saitheria on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The Temple was quite busy that day, Acolytes rushing to and fro, many of them looking like they have not slept the entire night, dark shades under their eyes threatening to encompass entire cheeks. Air still carried in it the faint scent of woodsmoke, the nearby remains of Red Rose Guild still smoking, even the Temple of Pan beside it bearing signs of last night's fire. There had been a huge celebration in honor of the coronation of Caesar Andolin, and accidents like the fire were to be expected. Though word on the street was that the fire was not quite an accident, but rather a deliberate act of someone who did not like the founded Ashari Gywien.

Deianeira almost toppled over when something pushed her sharply from behind, a hand catching her wrist and helping her remain upright. "Oh, I am so sorry. I should have been careful." The voice was definitely feminine, soft and with a shadow of a rasp to it, the kind a person had after a recent illness. It belonged to a petite girl of perhaps fourteen yahren, her blond hair cropped short, emerald green eyes mirroring her smile. She had just began to round off, her body still not bearing all the curves it would no doubt soon, her robe bearing only the barest hint of forming breasts. "Are you alright?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Deianeira Saitheria
Civus

Looking down as the world rushes up at her. Deianeira's hands went out to stop her quick descent to the ground. "Yes..." she breathed turning over and lookup up at the child. She smiled. "You didn't do any damage." She inhaled slowly. "You're an Acoylte then?" she asks standing and getting to her feet. Her dark hair had come loose from its ribbon and had spread across her face and pooled around her neck.

Deianeira exhaled. Reach and picking up the fallen ribbon and putting her hair back in order the young woman smiled. "I hope I didn't hurt you either..." she tightens the ribbon with a firm tug. "How are your studies?" she asks trying to make conversation.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The girl glanced to the door towards which she was rushing, hugging a bundle of parchments to her chest and after a flicker of deliberation relaxed her posture a bit. "No, not yet acolyte. I am just studying to be a healer here and perhaps one day I might take the vows and become an acolyte and then a priestess. Not sure yet." She glanced around, her eyes focusing back on Deianeira once more as she smiled once more, her entire face lighting up with that simple gesture. "Oh, I am sorry. Are you here looking for a loved one? So many people got hurt last night and a few died. I can direct you to a priestess in charge of records. Or were you looking for something else?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Deianeira Saitheria
Civus

A shake of her head, sending dark hair moving in front of her eyes, just a few strands, "No not at all. If you'd like I can help you." she gestures to the parchement the girl's holding. "It'd be better if you organized them in such a way as keep them from spilling." she recommened.

Deianeira took a few steps closer. "You know organization is the key to being a good healer, or a good anything really." she gives the girl advice. "It is a shame that the fire killed people, but then again flame has its place in the world, as do other things, sorrow and happiness..." she smiles. "Say, have you visited any of the the other temples?" she asks in a warm voice, following the girl.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The girl hesitated a moment, trying to give a few parchments over to Deianeiara, forcing her to wrap her arms more tightly around the load she held, crumpling quite a few of paper rolls in the process. "Oh, damn..... Sorry...... Here...... " She balanced the load of paper with some effort, finally managing to pass half a dozen or so rolls of paper to the other girl and heaving a relieved sigh as she managed to steady the ones she held. "Phew. That was close. LEt's just go set these down and then we'll go sit down. I could use a cup of tea if you don't mind the company."

Without waiting for a reply the girl moved towards the nearby door, humming a merry tune as the air in the shaded interior of the temple cooled their skin, as the sickly scent of burnt meat and blood assaulted their nostrils. They walked past two rows of wounded people, a pair of healers taking care of them, kneeling next to each of the patients and making sure they were still alive and well. Most sported burns and writhed in pain upon the floor, a woman kicking her sheet off, revealing an ugly black patch covering her torso, red and yellow puss seeping through the crack in the burn.

The girl hurried her steps past the wounded, passing through another door that led to a shaded porch in the middle of the temple, a rather vibrant garden hidden by the its walls. "Oh, fire can be pretty, but I would not say such things around these people. It sounds cruel. Come, we are almost there." She moved along the inner wall, pausing before a door and scooping the rest of rolls from Dea's hands smiling and knocking. In she went and a few flickers later emerged back into the light, smiling broadly. "Alright that's about done. Now, how about that tea? Or we could go to Simple Pleasures for some coffee or espresso?"
Deianeira Saitheria
Civus

Taking a few of the scrolls, and arranging them neatly in a simply pyriamid style the achadhiel followed the other girl. "A cup of tea?" her voice was a bit airy as she mused on it. "Tea would be lovely." she says in a cheerful voice, thinking for a long moment on the different kinds of tea. "What sort tea will we be drinking though?" she asks. Inhaling deeply she takes a few steps back as smell of burned flesh and blood assulted her nostrils. She coughed and choked for a few moments before speeding through into fresher air.

The rows of wounded people brought tears to her eyes but she tried not to cry. Crying would do these people no good. The bodies of those who were burnt, made the young woman feel almost ashamed, they were enduring such pain, true pain, it made the fight with her mother pale in comparison she realized. Perhaps this was the Mother's way to telling her not to be such a child.

Deianeira was breathing heavily through her mouth, trying to avoid the scent of burnt flesh and blood behind them, giving her voice a strange quality to it. Passing through the garden, the woman seemed almost enamoured with the plants for a moment before handing the scrolls over to the apprentice, and waiting patiently outside. As the girl returned Deia walked back towards the garden. "I had no idea this was here," she said in a voice full of awe. A garden was garden to most people, but to her it could have bee another world. "By the way, Miss what is your name? And perhaps we should go to Simple Pleasures? Coffee might be a nice change of pace, instead of tea for once."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Feel free to start a new thread at the Simple Pleasures, or something along those lines. I'll take over once you are there.

"I was thinking we could drink some of that lovely eastern green tea, but you are right. Coffee will do us good and we can get some of those lovely brownies they serve at the Simple Pleasures. I know they go straight to your hips, but their cook is a wicked man for making such a tasty brownies." She glanced at the garden and cheerfully hooked her arm through Dea's, motioning towards the other side of the walled in garden with her chin. "Of course there is a garden at the Mother's Temple. You should see the one at the Citadel. It is even bigger and older than this one. Creeper vines cover the walls all the way to the battlements. That's sixty feet up."

They walked under the shaded porch, passing a number of doors and finally shouldering their way through a tiny, poorly lit passage that led them out to the street and the girl led the way towards the harbor. "Oh, I am sorry. My name is Jeanna. I did not realize I never told you that. Usually I blabbed that out as soon as I meet a person." She turned aside and titled her head, not stopping for a flicker. "Would you mind if I asked where you are from? I know it is a bit personal, but I so want to travel the world and see other places and I need good advice where to start."
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Skilled!
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Return to “Inner City Archive”