A Motley One Cometh - Inner Ring - Pecunia Temple - 27th ET

Moderator: Mods

Motley
Fool

A Motley One Cometh - Inner Ring - Pecunia Temple - 27th ET

Post by Motley »

The temple of the goddess of wealth is a sleek, simple building, standing about twenty meters high. Made of smooth, cool blue stone, the temple can only be described as businesslike. Above the gate, the name of Pecunia and the image of the goddess have been carved into the stone, the carvings filled up with gold dust. Templar guards stand watch before the gate, dressed in the finest armour and armed with the finest weaponry money can buy. Around the temple, many merchants have set up their stall, hoping to do business in the divine radiance of the patroness of material gain.

In front of you and to your left you see the Bank

Taking up almost more space than the place of worship itself, the bank is just about the central location of the temple of Pecunia. As the inventors of the banking system, Pecunian clerics have specialized in this branch. Merchants and the like stand in line before two marble desks, where clerks cribble away in ledgers filled with often meaningless numbers. The room is down to earth, simple in design, providing places for people to sit while waiting or to stand in line for a loan or deposit.

In front of you and to your right you see the Post Office

The post has long been associated with Pecunia. In times past, the postal system was brought, the faithful say, to the world by Pecunia herself, and the followers see it as their divine duty to maintain this moter of the economy. For a price, on can drop letters and small packages here, which the Pecunians will deliver, usually within a week to a month in time, depending on size and distance.

Directly in front of you is the Donation Box

This box, which should simply have been called enormous chest, sits near the exit of the temple, a priest attending it at all times. Various slots permit the deposit of valuables, even large gems, but the donation box is most strongly warded against theft: more than one thief has left the temple with one less hand to go about his roguish ways.

Merchants are seen here donating money at regular intervals, securing favors and good luck in obtaining profit.

Beyond that is the Altar

Made of pure, solid gold, this large altar sits in the middle of the main hall of worship. Here, the walls are adorned with scenes of important events of Pecunian myth, much like leaded windows, only here, the coloured glass has been substituted by gold, silver, and a variety of valuable gems. When the candles are lit, this whole room gains a glow, with all the light reflected from precious metals filling the room. It is in this glow that religious services are often conducted, with the faithful kneeling before the altar, and a priest of the faith leading it all.

Immediately to your left or right are the Meeting Corners

The corners of the temple, out of even elves earshot from everyone else, serve as places where one can speak with a priest privately. Masters of material gain, the priests of Pecunia are often sought out by businessmen and merchants for their expertise. Led to these corners, they are always given the very best of business advice... for a price. Often, a priest will request both a donation to the faith, and current information on the most recent events in the world of business.

There are several priest and guards standing about, any may be able to assist you.

Coming through the Portal was a sight that might even surprise the most jaded and experienced guardsman or passerby. He stands at barely more than half the height of a normal man. His head is overly large for the rest of his body and his legs are stunted and bandy. His facial features are brutish and unsightly as he has a large, flattened nose, oversized ears and a mouthful of yellowed and crooked teeth. He has one crystal blue eye and one dark brown one, giving him an intense, mismatched gaze peering out from under an oversized, bulging brow.

If there is any physical indication of the type of man he might have been, in it's in his hands. Both are strong and lean, like a painter or artist's hands. His long, slender fingers give him the ability to write and play music, and are without a doubt his finest characteristic. A splotchy and blemished complexion, nearly impervious to sunburn, peeks out from his shaggy, ill cut mop of midnight black hair. He is dressed in a myriad of colors and textures. Patched and mismatched bits of cloth serve for both tunic and cloak. Slung over one shoulder, on a ragged leather strap, is a well broken in lute, broken strings jutting out here and there. On the other shoulder, a worn and well traveled satchel containing nearly all his earthly goods and possessions.

His real name is one of his greatest secrets, but back home on the streets of Roque D'Ancourt he is known as Motley.

Coupled with his ugliness, was his equally as revolting reaction to traveling through the portal. The ugly little creature gagged and retched as his mismatched eyes scanned the room wildly for a receptacle to deposit the contents of his stomach into. Once he had finally exhausted his earlier meal in no less than four separate heaves, he did his best to compose his unsettled stomach and make himself presentable to whomever official was in charge of the portal's arrivals. With a handkerchief, he wiped his mouth and brow and deposited it back into a pocket before approaching one of the guards.

"Good tide to you sir! I am the Motley! Could I please trouble you for some assistance?"
[b]Putting the "Imp" in impassible since 2004[/b]

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=428][b]Motley's Compendium[/b][/url]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Motley emerged from the portal in an impossibly spartan room considering the actual destination, though the room was hardly bare, as Pecunians did not do spartan and bare and non-rich very well. The stunted bard found a perfect receptacle of his discarded meal in a nearby pot, fertilizing the earth around a tall fern, an act that caused even the stoic and immobile guards to shift from their positions and cast a glance his way. When at last he managed to turn, the little guy managed to draw out a surprised gasp from the robed lady sitting behind a desk, though she was quick to recover and school her expression into a polite smile. "Of course, sir. Allow me to welcome you to Citadel first. How may I be of assistance?"
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley ignored the stares and strange looks. They were far too common a companion for one such as him to affect him anymore. The glares and stares were as much a part of his life as his slender fingers or bandy, misshapen toes.

The robed lady that greeted him was polite enough. She composed herself nicely and was warm and friendly. He found her efforts quite endearing, and hoped his first visit to the "Empire" would follow what he perceived as a rather positive omen and first impression.

"Yes ma'am. Thank you very much for the welcome. The aid I need is in the form of directions and the answer to a question. First the question."

With a grin full of his broad teeth, he held the well worn, well traveled lute before him.

"I am a performer kind madame, hailing from the west, and seeking to ply my trade here on the streets of your magnanimous and magnificent capital city. Does one need a permit to play on these fine streets and where does one acquire such a document if needed?'

He re-slung the lute to its usual place across his back.

"And the directions. I am looking for someone. I believe he resides at the university campus. Could you please point me in the right direction?"

[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=428][b]Motley's Compendium[/b][/url]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

As per the Pecunian policy Motley paid for the portal trip on the other side of the rift in fabric of reality and thus was entitled to any and all answers he would require as a valued customer of the Temple. “A permit is not required to perform within Citadel, but being a member of Bardic Guild is supposed to be beneficial to an artist and should make finding a job easier as well as give you better terms of service. A permit can be obtained at the Bardic College, though it might take a while since you will need to demonstrate your skill to three members beforehand.” It was the girl’s duty to know bits and pieces about Citadel like the one she just presented, serving as a guide to new arrivals if necessary.

Then came a pause and a wary glance at Motley the girl swallowing a lump before stuttering. “W-well….. That might present a bit of a problem. University is no longer…. I mean… Yesterday it was where it has always stood and then this morning…..” She swallowed again, and continued. “It is gone. One spire out of twenty four is still there, but it is empty. We do not know where it is yet. Nothing like this has ever happened before, especially on this scale. Perhaps your friend is still in the city?”
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

Motley took in the woman's very informative knowledge and committed it to memory.

Bardic Guild? An entire organization full of musicians and artists? Might be a good way to learn a few new songs and get to know some new friends...

He nodded along in understanding, but her next words caught him off guard in many ways.

"Gone?" "How..uh...What... One Spire out of ...."

He trailed off, suddenly aware of how her difficulty in explaining what happened meant she she probably had little information to go on. The stunning news was too recent for her to know much more about it. The best way to find out more was to hit the streets and ask personally.

"I'm not sure if he is still in the city or not. But I will certainly make every effort to find out."

The ugly little man straightened himself up and ran a hand through his unruly mop of hair.

"Very well then my lady. If I have satisfied all of your requirements, I shall seek out the university and my friend...?"

He looked at her questioningly for confirmation that he was free to go, and if he was, he would make his way out the door and out into the streets.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

“I wish you luck, sir. If your friend is a mage, I think the best place to seek him out would be at the Repository or at the Burpin Dragon. After all they say that everyone passes through the Dragon sooner or later, and Bill the Inkeeper might know this friend of yours.” Sadly the girl was unaware of the other possible sources of information, and thus likes of Bortis, or Hadvin were left unmentioned, though with a bit of luck the short bard would come upon a clue where to find this mage he was looking for. The woman smiled politely, her look slightly apologetic as she was not able to help him more. Should Motley wish to leave, he would be free to do so any time.
Motley
Fool

Post by Motley »

~ Fin.

Thanks!

Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

locked, summarised and archived without skilling
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “Inner City Archive”