Mermaids and Body Art (27th Early TT)

Moderator: Mods

Danomel

Mermaids and Body Art (27th Early TT)

Post by Danomel »

A rather rundown looking two story building, deeper than it was wide, such was the appearance of the Half Penny Mermaid. Sandwiched in-between two rather shabby looking residences, with a rather overly exaggerated carving of a mermaid in front, that in better days had adorned the prow of a ship, made the tavern rather hard to miss, for anyone traversing the harbour of the Citadel.

The Half Penny Mermaid, or just Ha’Penny, boasts both easy access to, and a view of the harbor. Though some might question the aesthetics of the section of the harbor it overlooked. And in fact on any given day, at any given time, there were likely to be several sailors hanging around the front of the building.

It was dim inside the tavern, as what was left of the broken front windows had long ago been boarded up. The dim light came from candles on every table, and several lanterns hung at intervals along the walls. The acrid sent of smoke hung in the stale air of the interior. Seated around the room, or standing at the long bar are several sailors, as well as the poor who live along the harbor front.

[hr][/hr]

It had been awhile since Danomel had frequented this particular establishment. It had not changed much, with the possible exception of being even more dilapidated. But one goes where one must when seeking information.

Having been fortified by a good lunch, Danomel entered the establishment, pausing a flicker or two till his eyes grew accustom to the dark hazy interior of the building. Ordering up an ale, he laid an extra circlet on the bar while asking the barkeeper, “Tell me, who would one seek out to find information on the tattoo artists in the area?
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Bortis had seen his share of weird people and definitely heard his share of weird questions but he had to admit one thing. This guy was unique, though that did not mean he would not get an answer to his question. Before the answer came, the large bartender bent down and poured the man his ale, casually wiping the counter and making the circlet disappear under the rag. “It would depend on what kind of tattoos he was asking about? Then again the way you asked means you are not lookin’ for someone who does crude stuff like sailors have. I could give you a few names. Just tell me what you need.”
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel takes a flicker to taste the ale as well as glance around the bar before answering “A while ago I had the momentary opportunity to see a most exquisite nautical tattoo. A light house with a man at the base smoking a pipe. And the detail was exceptional. Now I doubt there are too many tattoo artists capable of that level of work.”

Taking another sip from the ale, Danomel waits to see what type of response might be elicited. If he could find the artist, that would be one step closer to solving this particular mystery. A name of the man who used to sport the tattoo would be even better, but was a little to much to expect this early on.

He reminded himself to also attempt to elicit some information about the seaside slayer. Idly, he wondered what the odds were that all the little bits and pieces might somehow be related. If so, it would be an interesting case of cause and effect.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

While not the best ale he had ever tasted, the beer was more than passable, Bortis pouring from the good barrel as the man before him was not one of the usual customers. The overweight bartender frowned at the question, straining to remember if he may have seen something similar, humming as he leaned over the bar. “Sounds like a work of someone good, and with the lighthouse and all, it could be local. Was it done in simple ink, or in colors? Back or chest? How big?”
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Having tasted the drink and deciding it was passable; Danomel taook a larger swig and considers the Bortis’s request for additional information. Which only served to drive home the point that he really new nothing about the tattoo coulter.

“Not bad.” Danomel comments about his drink. “Not bad at all!”

After considering for a flicker, Danomel responds with “It was a full color rendition, took up a good portion of the backside. Though I am no judge, from what I have seen, I would call it large.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Bortis beamed as the ale was complimented, despite being nothing more than a bartender, and merely pouring it for others. “Hmmmm, color is not cheap. You know what, I think I saw that one. Read detailed? Could even see the smoke coming out of the man’s pipe?” Bortis looked up for a flicker, trying to remember where and when he had seen that tattoo, for a flicker looking like he remembered, glancing down at Danomel and suddenly changing his expression to one of worry. It too lasted but a fraction of a flicker to be replaced by a shake of his head and a shrug. “I am sorry, but I recall a man with such a tattoo being in here, but not with whom. It was over a week ago and I remember just because of his tattoo.”
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel wondered as he watched the expressions play across Bortis’s face. Like most bartender, he was fairly good at hiding what he was thinking. But that slightest hint of worry was intriguing. There was something there.

But it was really questionable if Danomel could actually elicit any additional information. Still nothing ventured…

There was also something else puzzling. Since the tattoo he had seen was on the man’s back, the man would have had to have his shirt off for the bartender to see it.

“Then maybe you might point me in a direction where I might find information about this type and style of body art?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Bortis almost sighed in relief, when Danomel did not press further, as the burly bartender truly did not wish to discuss the tattooed man in such a public place. He had enough trouble as it was. "Don't think it was local. Such tattooes are most likely to be made in Muchislie or Nether's Gate. There is one man who knows about all manner of stuff and he could help you find this tattooed man. You heard of Hadvin? Of Hadvin's Oddities?" He paused, but quickly added. "He hears a lot even though he rarely leaves that shop of his. Just be careful and be polite. Hadvin has powerful friends, or rather everyone is Hadvin's friend. Just be careful, alright?" Bortis cast a pleading gaze towards the archivist.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel nodded at the information as he repeated it to himself mentally.

“Hadvins Oddities, yes I must have heard about it uptown someplace.” He answers the bartender in a low voice.

Time to broach another subject, Danomel thinks to himself. Bortis is going to think he has one really strange customer.

Taking another pull from his ale, Danomel pauses for a flicker before changing the subject. “So, what is the current talk about the Seaside slayer?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"It is a great shop, and you could find just about anything with ole Hadvin. And if he ain't got it then he can find it for a right price. He knows his business." Then came the next question and Bortis peered at Danomel with his right eye suspiciously, leaning upon the counter for a few flickers. "Current talk, eh? Well, all I know he had Marshall Ranier's underwear in bunches and riding high up his ass a few months ago. People were not very happy. Both the nice people and those that do an occasional shady deal, if you catch my drift?" He shrugged. "Everyone though they had him, but lately he went back to killing. I don't care what people say about it, this is the same guy. Not some whacko who is copying him. You find the real Slayer and off him and you are gonna make yourself a lot of friends."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel considered for several moments. By Aurelius he was really sounding morbid here. “So method, style, and all was pretty much the same? May have to have a talk with Marshall Ranier.”

“One last thing, has there been any unusual occurrences in the area? And by unusual, I mean things that smack of a mystical nature?”

Danomel finishes his drink as he lets his eyes wander around the bar. He did not really expect to garner any useful information on that last one, but one never knows.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

“Erm, not so sure that is a wise idea, talking to Ranier like that. He ain’t the nicest of people. And I was not talking about being friends with him if you catch the nasty. More along the lines of making people who make dishonest living without senseless killing happy, if you catch my drift? Tell you what. If you really mean it, I could talk to a few friends of mine that would be interested in getting the Slayer caught. They might help you get a head start. But, only if you really mean it.” He paused and waited to see what Danomel would say to the offer, before addressing the other issue. “Mystical nature, lad? You’ll have to be a bit more direct I fear. What is it you wish to know? I know a few hedge wizard who dabble in stuff that should be left alone. Cheating women who try to sell charms that don’t work, or work in bad ways. So, whatcha looking for, bud?”
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“Never meet the Marshal before, and I have found that getting involved with the law usually ends in more trouble than it is worth.” Danomel ideally rotates the cup in his hands for a few flickers considering.

“Up to a fortnight ago I did not know that much about the Seaside Slayer. However certain evidence, that seems to remain consistent between the crimes points to something else I have recently had occasion to look into. So, yes I really need to have a bit of time with whoever this Slayer is. Which means running the Slayer to ground.” Danomel glances around the bar again before refocusing on the bartender.

“As for mystical nature, I do not mean your ordinary witches or soothsayers. Something different, something out of the ordinary. For example, strange demonic creatures seen roaming the streets, or extremely freakish and violent weather patterns that have no apparent rhyme or reason. Something that stands out and makes people stop and consider.” Danomel continues.

Letting his face fall into a more serious expression, and keeping his voice steady, Danomel finishes up his tirade of remarks. “It is all related, side effects of a less obvious problem. A problem that needs to be fixed more sooner than later.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Best if you never meet him at all." Bortis whispered in a low voice, something about Danomel telling him that chances of him being in Ranier's employ were more than slim, and closer to none. "Tell you what. You tell me your name and where you can be found and I'll spread the word of you being interested in hunting the Slayer down. People might offer their aid. Sounds good?"

The talk of mystical events and strange occurrences had the burly man frowning again, but in the end he was of little aid. "Not sure if I saw anything like that. I could maybe put a word out and send you word of what people tell me. Apart from the Slayer and the Cranes trying to off one another, there has been little going on. Dagger can kill a man as easily as magic. Sometimes even easier." Then suddenly he gasped and glanced towards the door. "Wait, there was that light flashing in the skies during the night. And they say the University of Magick is gone. Just went poof. Ke.... A friend said he was going over there to see if the mages left anything. Is that what you were looking for?" Bortis almost looked hopeful, his brows arched in query.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomnel nodded, “I can be contacted through the Archives. Just ask for Danomel.”

“Yes, something like that.” Danomel responds to Bortis’s comment about the University. “Thank you for the information.”

Danomel considers for a flicker. “Lights in the sky, was there any particular pattern or colors to them?”

Danomel suspected the lights did indeed correspond to the disappearance of the University, and might most likely be of little value. Still, it was always better to maintain interest in what people had to say and stay on their good side. Besides who know what might prove valuable information anyway.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Storing the man's name in memory, Bortis was already pondering whom might be most grateful to his fat self for linking them to Danomel and nearly startled at the question about the lights. "Oh, yes. There were flashes in pretty colors. Twenty or so. In that direction." He pointed in the direction where just a few days ago the tall spires of the University stood. "It was rather strange. Like fireworks going off on the ground, but without the sound. Just flashes." He shrugged. "I saw just a few, but I can ask some of the regulars what exactly happened. I can't leave a bar or some wise-guy will try to get himself a free mug or something. It's that kind of place."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel nodded. "Interesting. But don't put your self out."

Looking in the direceton indicated, Danomel continues; "I should take a walk over in that direction, look for myself."

Glancing around the interior, Danomel nodded. "Thanks for your time."

With that he heads for the door. His intent being to stop by Hadvins Oddities before heading out to keep his appointment with Morgan at the Temple of the Mother.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Don't mention it." Bortis smiled and swatted at the bar with his rag. "It nice when I have someone fresh to talk to, so feel free to come again." The locals peered at the duo, though all knew the basic rule of Mermaid etiquette Don't be too nosy, or you might lose a nose. They went back to their drinks quickly, leaving the pair alone and it was unlikely anyone overheard them. Bortis was not new at this business after all.

OOC: If you wish we can do a continuance at Hadvin's or wrap it up here. Just post the loc description if you want to meet Hadvin and we will do a quick interaction.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

OOC: Might as well do it here, no real advantage in opening a new thread…

Stepping out into the street Danomel paused for several flickers allowing his eyes to readjust to daylight, after the dark interior of the Mermaid. Collecting his scattered thoughts, he turned paralleling the harbor. While never having been there, of course he had heard of Hadvin’s Oddities. But mostly rumors and stories, many of which were contradictory in nature. However there was enough of a common theme in them to make one somewhat wary.

As the sun was sinking in the sky, Danomel wasn’t sure if he was stepping into a giant pile of fecal matter or not. Curiosity was a strange thing to let drive ones actions. Turning again, this time moving away from the harbor, Danomel was hoping he was not going to be the proverbial feline.

Turning another corner, Danomel’s next destination came into sight.
[hr][/hr]
Nestled among the ramshackle tenements and warehouses of the Outer Ring was a modest shop with a tudor facing and narrow, curtained windows. While the building's upper level was in desperate need of paints and cleaning, the stones that made up it's lower level were set well and held with mortice that might have been scrubbed a short time ago. Steps from the street lead up perhaps a single pace to a narrow, red door of splintered wood and cast iron fittings, of which only the handle was free of the orange tint of time mixed with the wet, coastal airs. A bronze plaque just near the door announced the building as "Hadvin's Shoppe of Extraordinaries", though the engraved plate was too small and too subtle to be seen or read unless the potential visitor was standing within two paces of the entrance.

Except on Rasday, Lyrday, and Firstday, when the shop was closed, the door would be unlocked to allow potential visitors to enter. As they did, a myriad of bells rung out in announcement, a tiny chorus of silver that filled the room with a distinctive cacophony of sound that would reach all throughout the two story building. The entrance room...a seemingly vast chamber that dominated the entire ground floor...was made almost cramped with shelving, crates, barrels, jars, and casements that included books, scrolls, and various other boxes, trinkets, and novelties meant to catch the imagination as well as the eye. Bones of strange, foreign beasts could be seen towards the back, some as large as a pace in length, while magnificent, detailed carpets covered one wall, arranged such that they might display only a fleeting glimpse of their glory before they were obscured by the next carpet. Stacks and stacks of clothing were to be seen, ranging from the soft, duck clothing routinely seen on a sailor while at sea to the intricate, delicate underclothing favored by women in the Western lands. Weapons lined the wall opposite the carpets, arms that ranged from cheap fist knives to a magnificent battlesword that measured nearly two full paces in length from pommel to point.
[hr][/hr]

Danomel waits a flicker for his eyes to adjust before looking for Hadvin.
Last edited by Danomel on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

As it turned out, Danomel’s decision to pause at the entrance to the shop was a wise one as his next step would have carried him closer to the shopkeeper, but would have likely make him step on the tail of a rather large and mean looking dog. The dog looked up and bared his teeth, but no growl came as the man behind the counter ordere sharply. “Bunny, come here. Your place by Hadfin.” The dog rose quickly and obediently and scampered off behind the counter, resting its head on the front paws, looking almost ashamed. “Goot day, sir. Felcome to Hadfin’s Oddities. You need somezing?”
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel nods to the shopkeeper. “Yes”.

Glancing around the interior to see if anyone else is present, Danomel continues. “A bit of information, if you have the time.”

As Danomel approaches the counter he glances at the various items in the shop, looking for items that might be noteworthy or interesting, specifically books. “Would you happen to know of the existence of a copy of the fifth Journey of Meriklar?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was not until Danomel actually asked the question that Hadvin moved, his face locked in the same expression it held when the man entered, not a muscle in his body moving throughout. He did not even blink for the whole time and then simply glanced at his fingernails, finding them very interesting, humming for several flickers. Then he glanced up at Danomel as if he just noticed the man and peered at him. “That be a book, right? Hadfin has all sorts of books, but he trader. Books come and go, Hadfin stays. You need that book, or any book? If you need book Hadfin can find for you. He can find anything.” The man smiled, and from under the counter produced a plate of what looked like dry toast, tearing a corner off a piece and popping it into his mouth, seemingly no longer interested in the conversation.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel was a bit nonplused for a flicker by the man’s response.

However, since it seemed that they were alone in the establishment, Danomel decided the best course of action was to get straight to the point.

“Then perhaps a bit of information. How about a tattoo? One of a light house and a man smoking a pipe. Done in extraordinary detail and quality, as to make it a work of art?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

At times Hadvin felt generous and this was such at time, the shop-keeper pushing the plate closer to Danomel and offering him one of the delicious toasts. “So you not want the book? The Journeys of Meriklar. I had one, but sold. I can get another I think, but it take time.” From somewhere under the counter he produced a piece of paper and a piece of charcoal and pushed it closer to the other man as well. “Draw what it look like. I see many tattoos, but they all different. Need to know what it be like. Where man sit? What kind of lighthouse? How long pipe? And how much you want to pay for tattoo be made? I know people who make tattoos, but it painful.”

Return to “Inner City Archive”