UoM: Learning to Crawl - Chyril 27th TT

Moderator: Mods

Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

UoM: Learning to Crawl - Chyril 27th TT

Post by Viviana Kaleyis »

Her room was small, but adequate. The bed was not as soft as the one at Signora Bianchi's house, the furniture not as fancy, but it would do. Viviana doubted she would spend much time here anyway. There were many classes she was eager to attend, the first of which would start in about a mark. During that time, she needed to unpack, change clothes, and ... most importantly ... get something to eat. The queasiness she had felt in the tower of Alchemy was gone now. Her stomach rumbled loudly.

She unpacked her trunk, carefully folding her clothing and storing it in the cabinet provided. She laid a short amber chemise, a purple tunic with gold embroidery, and a pair of brown leather breeches on the bed, then stored her sewing and lace making supplies on a lower shelf along with her personal things. She left Knifespinner's daggers and belt in the trunk and pushed it under the bed.

She quickly changed into the selected clothing. She felt much more comfortable now, and she no longer had to worry about tripping over her hem. She placed her father's ring between the tunic and her chemise. Although she usually wore it over her clothes, she didn't think it was a good idea to do that here. No, the ring must stay hidden until she found someone she trusted to share her secret with ... someone who would hopefully have the authority to help her with her search. Assuming such a person even exists, she thought to herself.

Viviana had never really considered how she would go about looking for her father. She couldn't just walk up to someone, show him the ring, and ask if he knew to whom it belonged. If her mother had stolen it, as one of her many stories suggested, that would not be the best idea. Even though the alleged theft had happened before her birth, Viviana could still be accused of stealing it sometime in the intervening sixteen yahren. And if they believed that, telling them it belonged to her father would have no credibility. It would sound like a lame excuse to exonerate herself.

She would just have to bide her time. She had always known she wouldn't find him immediately. Eventually the right opportunity would present itself. And in the meantime, I have magic to learn. Her stomach growled again. And a stomach to fill.

Stuffing three of her juggling balls into one of the tunic's pockets, she headed for the dining hall.

She was going to be late.

Grabbing a piece of fruit she had not yet eaten, Viviana rushed out of the dining hall. She hadn't realized how much time had flown by while she was there. Being late for my first class is not good. However am I going to explain myself? She had memorized the route she had to take and she sped into the correct tower, flying up the spiral staircase as fast as her legs would take her. Of course! I'll just say I got lost. I'm sure it happens to new students all the time.

She was breathing heavily when she reached the landing. The door to the classroom was closed. Should I knock, or just go in? She didn't know why she was nervous. The worst part ... the magical evaluation ... was over. Nothing could be as bad as that, could it? But it didn't matter what she told herself. Her mind was in turmoil, just as it had been earlier, just as it always was when she faced the unknown.

Absently, she threw the fruit she was holding into the air and caught it. Juggling always calmed her. She concentrated on the fruit as she tossed and caught, tossed and caught. Until today she had never seen this particular fruit, but it certainly was delicious. It probably came from the jungle. She wondered what it was called.

Focusing on the fruit quieted her mind a bit. You can't stand here juggling forever. She deftly caught the fruit for the last time and stowed it in her pocket. There's nothing to be afraid of. You wanted to learn magic. Now go in there and learn it!

Before she could convince herself otherwise, she took a deep breath, opened the door, and stepped inside.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Behind the door was a simple classroom with a set of wooden chairs facing a central lectern. The five other people within looked towards her as she opened the door then looked disappointed or frustrated when they realized she wasn't the tardy professor either.

At the farthest set of chairs sat a pair of humans talking. One was dressed in a sari like robe of blue fabric, coarse but sturdy. The second looked like he came straight from the farm in a rough homespun shirt and pants of brown. The student in blue pointed at one of the other students and laughed mockingly. The farm boy chuckled in return but looked uneasy.

The object of the joke was an adhiel lady that sat tall and proud. She too was dressed in a sari but hers was sea green silk of fine make accented with silver jewelry at her ears and wrists. She chatted with a light haired achadhiel in a gray cloth robe like many of the students here wear. It hangs on her awkwardly because of her broad shoulders.

By far the most unusual student was the gnome crouched on the floor. He wore a leather apron over a white shirt and colorful leggings. He had a sheaf of parchment spread out before him covered in diagrams and schematics though of what she could not see from this distance.

As Viviana entered, the student in blue looked annoyed at her presence while the farm boy waved a half greeting. The adhiel smiled and the achadhiel did likewise. The gnome did not even look up.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

It took Viviana less than a flicker to access the scene before her. When you lived by your wits on the street, you had to be able to see everything at once and plan your moves accordingly. The lack of a professor reassured her, although it seemed to bother the others. At least she would not have to explain her own tardiness.

Looks like it's boys on one side, girls on the other, and a gnome in the middle. Only one of the street children had been a gnome. He ... or perhaps it was she ... all gnomes looked alike to Viviana ... had always been attempting to invent new things or make existing things better. Some of his ideas had been excellent, some silly at best, and others she did not understand. Unfortunately his projects had never come to fruition... he had been run over by the cart of a merchant who had once caught him stealing. Viviana and some of the other children had carried his little body to the docks and dumped it in the ocean late that night. Burial was never an option when you lived on the street.

The human in blue annoyed her at once. As an urchin, she had been the butt of many jokes and insults, especially from those more privileged than she. She remembered something Knifespinner had told her when she had come to him in tears after being spit upon by a wealthy child. “Bullies are often insecure about themselves and try to cover it up by hurting others.”

Hmmmmmm ... I'm a pretty good actress. Let's see what he thinks of this. Viviana smiled at both boys, returning the farm boy's wave. Then she let her gaze move back to the boy in the sari and looked him up and down. When she reached the middle of his body, her smile turned to a frown and then to shock. She visibly shuddered and turned away quickly, as if something she had seen there thoroughly disgusted her. If that doesn't bother him, then he's as cocky as I am, she thought.

She ignored the gnome as completely as he ignored her. She knew they really didn't like to be disturbed when they were working on something. She wondered if his project had anything to do with magic. Probably not, she decided.

The two young women looked welcoming, so Viviana walked over and took a chair close to them. She wanted to ask the adhiel lady what the human had against her, but it was none of her business and she didn't want to be rude.

Instead, she smiled back at them and introduced herself. "Hi," she said. "I'm Viviana."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The boy in blue looked confused at Viviana's expression and glanced down at his middle . Seeing nothing there, he realized he'd been fooled and leveled his sneer at Viviana. By this time she had already moved on to address the chatting ladies.

"Buongiorno, Viviana," The achadhiel smiled and offered her hand in the manner of the Western Kingdom. "I am Silvana from the Mouth and this is Rhian of Kislovan."

The graceful adhiel placed one hand on her chest and bowed slightly. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Viviana." Her human was very good with only a trace of her Kislovani accent when she spoke it. "I would introduce you to the rest but I do not yet know them. One by his choice it would seem."

"No loss to us if you ask me." Silvana dismissed the boys with a wav of her hand. "Had enough of cafones like that at home. Here only the magick should matter, eh?"

Rhian sniffed at the vulgarity but nodded her agreement. "Certainly more than where one is from. Though I will admit to being curious about where you are from, Viviana." She smiled slightly. "Are you a native of the isle of Citadel?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Although Rhian's question was a simple one, it brought to Viviana's attention something she had not yet considered: how much should she reveal about her life? Although she was actually proud that she had risen above her sordid past, not everyone would see it that way. Some might think she was a thief or worse, and she would be the first person blamed if anything valuable went missing. No, it was better to keep that part of her life a secret, at least for now.

What should I say if someone asks about my parents? Should I say they are dead? I don't really want to lie, but to my knowledge they both could be dead. I certainly can't tell anyone I am looking for my father. Not yet anyway. The best way is probably to be vague ... and mysterious. Mysterious is definitely good.

She also wondered why Rhian assumed she was from the Citadel. Did she have an accent? Hopefully, the dialect of the streets was no longer apparent in her voice. Signora Bianchi had worked tirelessly to teach her to speak properly. The young achadhiel had always thought she had learned those lessons well.

“Yes,” she said. “I am from the Citadel. In fact, until last night, I assumed I would be able to walk here. Instead I had to travel through the portal.” She remembered the way she had felt when she had seen the empty place where the University had once been. For a couple of burns, she had considered the possibility that it was her father who had been behind the move, because he didn't want her to find him. However, the world didn't revolve around her, and she had dismissed that notion as quite silly.

“I've only been here for about ... oh ... two marks,” she continued. “How long have you two been here? Were you here before the University moved?”
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"I knew it." Rhian smiled. "You reminded me of the many diplomats I met in the Embassy, always speaking so properly." Her smile slipped as she asked about how long they had been here. "I was newly arrived on the day of the move." She murmured. "Hardly the way one wants to start the first day at school.

"Si, si." Silvana agreed. "I thought I'd escaped all that when I came here but it's like no where is safe these days. She lowered her clenched hands into her lap. "I've been here for almost a month. Been focusing on the magicks of life and death. Heavy stuff but it is where my head is at these days. I'm only here at Professor Thran's insistence."

At this point, another student entered the room. She was short and her petite frame made her seem even smaller. Viviana noticed that her plain brown robe was cleverly tailored to to fit her body while allowing for free movement. An ebony handle poked out of one pocket. Her bright red hair was pulled back in a simple ponytail that reached the middle of her back. She paused in the doorway for a moment, took a deep breath, and approached the central lectern. The boys stopped their conversation to look at each other is surprise

"Good day, students." She greeted. "My name is Apprentice Shema and I will be your teacher for this class on shielding and defensive magicks." Shema cleared her throat again and continued. "With the recent incidents, the University Council has decreed that all students must be trained in the basics of defensive magicks so here we are." She smiled. "So, how many of you here have shielded yourself before?"

Silvana and the boy in the blue sari raised there hands. "Then perhaps you two would join me up here for a demonstration." She instructed. Silvana shrugged and hopped off her stool to come forward. The boy in blue strode smugly to the front. "Now, everyone center and ground yourself to the Aether so you can see what we do."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

The former street child was not sure what to think about Rhian comparing her speech to that of a diplomat. Diplomats were Fancies and Viviana did not like Fancies. Signora Bianchi was a former Fancy but that didn't count because the woman had tasted poverty and did not turn up her nose at the poor the way true Fancies did. Viviana would have to pay attention to the way other people talked from now on. Perhaps she could change the way she spoke. Being compared to a Fancy turned her stomach.

When the new girl walked in, Viviana immediately noticed the fit of her robe. She tried to memorize the way it flowed so she would be able to duplicate it later. Perhaps this girl would be one of her first customers when she started to advertise her sewing services. If not, perhaps others would be interested in a tailored-to-fit robe. It surprised her a bit when the girl introduced herself as their teacher because she did not look much older than Viviana. Of course, that meant she would probably have more money to spend on sewing services.

Turning her mind from business back to magic, she was quite envious of Silvana and that horrid boy for knowing more than she did. You just arrived, she told herself. Everyone knows more than you do. You have to learn to crawl before you can walk and right now you can't even do that. So pay attention and quit being jealous.

It was more difficult than she thought to center and ground herself to the Aether. She was still tired from her evaluation. I should have waited longer before taking a class. Well, I won't take another today. I think I will explore the town instead. What was it called again? Oh never mind, I will just ask someone there.

Maintaining a tentative hold on the Aether, she waited, hoping that she still had enough strength to do what was required of her.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

By the time Viviana centered herself, the three up front and Rhian were already open to the Aether. All four were beacons of blinding white light against the many colors of the Aether. Slowly they were joined by the Dortese boy though his presence wavered. It was only at this point that gnome realized that class had started. He scrambled to his feet and after a long burn he too was a blinding beacon on the Aether.

"Each of you are attuned to the Aether." Shema announced. "At this moment, you are at your most vulnerable. Any passing spirit of the Aether could float right into your soul and you would attract hostile spells like iron to a lodestone." Shema warned simply. "To guard against this, we use the technique of shielding. It is not a magickal weaving per se. It is an extension of your will to protect yourself from Aetheric threat. Observe."

The bright form of Shema suddenly dimmed as her Aetheric self was obscured by a thick layer of what looked like sail cloth. It seemed to appear from nowhere. "Now that was probably to swift for most of you to catch, so watch your fellow students. Shield yourselves."

On the Aeher, a point of flame appeared over the head of the boy in the blue sari. Gradually it spread from that point like an oil over his Aetheric form until the bright light of his soul was sheathed in flame. Silvana's shield formed similarly only her shield was a dark suit of black iron plates. She started with one over her chest and plates overlapped over that one until the suit was formed.

"Now, let us see the four of you try." Shema instructed. "Choose a form for your shield that fits your personality. This shield comes from your core. Start at one point and let it flow over you. Pay attention to the thickness. Too thin and it is worthless. Too thick and you will completely cut yourself off from the Aether. Begin."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

An extension of my will shouldn't be that difficult, Viviana thought. I've always been told my will is very strong. I suppose it had to be in order for me to survive so long on the street. But what kind of shield can I make that fits my personality? A veil of cloth? No, that just fits my profession. It has nothing to do with what I am like. What am I like? How have people reacted to me most of my life? Why, of course ....

In her grandfather's house, she had mostly gone unnoticed. Everyone except her mother had treated her as if she didn't exist. It was the same on the street. Those who saw her pathetic little figure pretended that she wasn't there. It was almost as if she were invisible.

And that was it. Her shield would be invisible ... a dome of glass ... like the ones that covered some of Signora Bianchi's sculptures to protect them from dust. She envisioned a glass dome forming above her, strong enough to shield her from anything malicious lurking in the Aether. Gazing upward, she could see it, shining with a brilliant iridescence. Ok, now cover me, she told it, imagining it moving over her. It didn't budge. It just hovered there above her head.

Didn't you hear me the first time? I said “Cover me!”

She closed her eyes and concentrated, projecting all of her will upon it, forcing it to move. Very slowly it slid downward until at last she was completely encircled. A droplet of sweat meandered down the side of her face. This shielding isn't as easy as I thought it would be. The aspiring mage opened her eyes, hoping her protection was strong enough and curious as to how the other students had done.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Apologies for the wait. My wife and son had some medical issues that kept me away.

Looking through her shield was not as easy as Viviana expected. It shimmered like heat haze but after a few burns she mastered the equivalent of mental squinting and could see through it clearly. Rhian was shrouded by a thin layer of leaves. The farm boy has chosen a thick layer of raw earth for his shield while the gnome's looked like interlocking gears. He did not seem to be satisfied with it though because the pattern of the cogs kept shifting.

Shema stepped forward and examined the shields critically. She started with the boy in the blue sari. "I see you've been practicing Auric." Shema nodded in approval. "Now if only we can get you to do it faster." Auric looked grim even as Shema chuckled.

"Silvana, your shield is strong but you must abandon this notion that your mental armor must look like real armor." Shema chided. "Each extra burn it takes you to imagine each individual plate forming and falling into place is time your enemy can strike at you unguarded. That goes for you too Timour." Shema turned to face the gnome. "Save tinkering with your gears for the workshop. It is all right to settle for good enough." Silvana nodded her understanding. The gnome grumbled under his breath but the movement of his shield stopped.

Shema came to Viviana next. "A good solid shield but you must learn to let it mold to your body. All that extra space of the dome is energy you don't have to expend. Also be mindful of the thickness. You've got thin patches here and there which could be exploited."

"However, do not me too mindful of it being smooth and even." Shema continued as she came over to Rhian. "Your shield is perfect in shape and smoothness lady but is so thin that I could shatter it without the use of magick." Shema said firmly. Rhian scowled then looked down at her toes and nodded.

Lastly. she came to the farm boy. "Can you hear in there, Conall?" Shema mock shouted. "Your shield is so thick you would never get any of your own magicks through it. A sorcerer's shield is always a tricky balance of protection and utility. It is important to find that workable middle ground."

Shema returned to her podium. "Now, let's try some drills. I want you to drop your shield, then bring it back up as swiftly as you can and hold it for a burn. Then drop it and repeat. We'll start with ten."

OOC: We can end it here after a reaction post from Viviana so you can move on to new content, we can move into actual defensive spell casting as opposed to shielding, or into some more chatting with the NPCs. Let me know where you want to go with this.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

OOC: I hope your wife and son are doing well now. I think I'll just go on with the thread, as both Viviana and Kittee need to know what defensive magic is about.

>^..^<

Her first few tries were difficult. The dome refused to form around her no matter how much she coaxed it. On her fourth attempt, she finally got it right. The shield was neither too thin nor too thick and it molded to her body like a second skin. She lifted her arms and looked at the shimmering glass that covered them. She was a glass Viviana ... a mage made of glass.

Now she had to do it rapidly. This wasn't as easy as it looked, although she had an idea that might make it easier. “Apprentice Shema,” she called out. “I think I know a way to help us learn to put our shields up quickly.”
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Everyone but the gnome turned to Viviana in surprise. Shema just blinked for a moment. She knew that most of her professors would have slapped down the upstart for interfering with the lesson. The rest would sarcastically ask the first day student to kindly share her vast wisdom to the decades old practitioner of magic. Shema had not yet developed the jaded demeanor needed for such responses so she feel back on basic politeness.

"Do you, Student Viviana?" She inquired. "Please share your thoughts on the matter."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

It never occurred to Viviana that speaking out in class might be frowned upon. Fast talking had saved her arse many times on the street, and Signora Bianchi had always encouraged her young charge to share her ideas. As this was the first class she had ever taken, the aspiring mage had no idea how to act. Her unusual upbringing had left her at a disadvantage when it came to common situations most people were quite familiar with. So when the other students stared at her in surprise, Viviana believed that they thought she was clever.

“Well, I think we would put our shields up faster if we had a good reason,” she said, rather pleased with herself. “So how about we throw things at each other. Like ... this!” As the last word left her mouth, the young achadhiel reached into her pocket, took out one of her soft juggling balls, and sent it spinning right toward Shema's head.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Instantly, Shema dropped into a battle crouch. Reflexively, her left hand came up in a fan-like warding gesture and Viviana saw a hastily woven lattice of earthen energies deflect the thrown ball. With only a moment's consideration Shema's right hand jerked back. "All right. Your turn." She grinned.

Shema thrust her hand forward and a geyser of water shot forth at Viviana. It impacted on her shield of glass and Viviana felt a wave of mental feedback from it. Had she known it was coming, Viviana could have braced for it but striking her unexpectedly, it snapped her concentration and the shield shattered like the glass it mimicked. The water drenched Viviana from head to toe before Shema dispersed her weave and left her there dripping.

"Now, class there are two things you should have learned from this impromptu demonstration." Shema announced. "Firstly, these basic shields that you are working on work only against energies and materials recently summoned from the Aether. My recently summoned water was physical water as Viviana can attest." Shema grinned. "But her shield did deflect the initial blast. Her ball on the other hand was of the Tether and would have sailed right through my shield. Hence the necessity of the defensive ward of earth I used."

"The second lesson is that a shield becomes more difficult to maintain when it is challenged by outside energies." Shema continued. "This is why we train you first in raising it in isolation and then as a practical defense." She explained. "As it happens Viviana, your instincts are good. Once you and your fellow students have this level of shielding down, the next step is for me throw things at you. So you were treated to an advanced lesson." Shema chuckled. "After class, I'll teach you a decent weave for drying out clothing."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

If Viviana had been coddled throughout her life, she might have complained that a teacher retaliating against a student was an abuse of power. The former street child, however, was used to her actions having harsh consequences and did not think anything was wrong with what Shema did. In fact, the impromptu shower was rather refreshing. Her clothing was made of light cotton. It would dry quickly.

Her boots were another matter. While Shema was speaking, she unlaced them and took them off one by one, dumping the water trapped inside them onto the floor. Still bent over, she shook her long thick tresses to get the excess water out of them, spraying sparkling droplets all around her. She did not wring out the bottom of her embroidered tunic. She had spent many candlemarks on the delicate stitches and did not want to risk ruining them.

Throwing her head back, spraying yet more droplets around, she stood up, retrieved her juggling ball, and placed it back in her sodden pocket. She was a bit miffed at herself for not being able to deflect Shema's water burst, but she was still tired from her magical evaluation and shield practice. If I was not so weary, I would have been able to do it, she told herself. I am starting to regret taking this class without a proper rest first. I will certainly have no trouble sleeping tonight.

When Shema mentioned the drying-out spell, the aspiring young mage saw a pattern appear before her in the Aether. This was the third time today that she had been presented with a pattern of energies that wanted her to weave them. Was this the drying-out spell? Viviana rather thought it was. She was tempted to weave the energies together, but she doubted she had the strength.

The barefoot girl sighed, and looked over at Shema. She didn't say anything. She simply waited, curious to see what their next magical exercise would be.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Shema was somewhat unnerved by Viviana's lack of response to her dousing. "Well since you all have a decent grasp of the basic shielding technique, I shall leave you to practice it in our own time. Be sure you do for I shall be testing you all as I did Viviana at our next meeting." Shema warned.

"Now since you have been given a demonstration of a basic shielding ward, I think it only right that I show you how to create one." Shema went on. "Now this may be beyond some of you because it requires the working of two energies at once. Watch." On the Aether, Viviana saw a segment of the swirling air strands stop their random flowing and shift into a rigid sheet of parallel lines. Shema then took brown strands of earthen energy from the walls and floor and threaded them through the air like a weaver at her loom. To their mortal eyes, a square flat of stone hung in the air before Shema.

"Now you will note that this shield is visible. For all intents and purposes, it is a actual shield of stone that I can interpose between me and danger." Shema explains. "Given time, I could expand this into a dome or wall to protect many. What I did before is a little more subtle. Instead of the full energies of earth, I took only the strength and resiliency of stone and added it to my weave. The result is a plane that acts as stone but can be seen through. Are there any that wish to try out this ward?" Shema challenged.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Having seen others do it earlier, Viviana raised her hand. I might not get it right the first time, considering how exhausted I am, she thought, but at least I will know how it is done so that I can practice it later. She planned to practice what she learned that very evening, after she returned from exploring the nearby town ...what was it called again? Realt, that was it. After that little adventure and a good meal, her mental strength should be back in full force.

Perhaps the meal should come first. She was hungry yet again. She thought of the fruit in her pocket. Would Shema mind if she munched on it while she learned this other form of shielding? Most likely, she decided. I'd better not risk it. I've already been in trouble once today and that got me soaked. I wonder what the punishment would be for eating in class?

The aspiring mage looked over at Silvana and Rhian. Perhaps they would like to practice with her this evening. It will be a lot more fun if we do it together and are able to help each other. She would be sure to ask them once they were released.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

As Viviana raised her hand, the boy in blue raised his in response. The others, perhaps feeling the pressure, raised their hands as well. All but the gnome anyway who was still muttering about the cogs in his shield.

"Very good then. Begin." Shema instructed. "Those truly feeling brave can have me test it." She smiled and with a gesture a ball of mud appeared in her hands. On the Aether, they could see the threads of earth she pulled from the floor moistened by strands of blue pulled from the moist air without.

Rhian conjured her shield quickly. In fact she seemed surprised herself that it came together so fast. Auric's shield was formed almost as fast but it shifted and wavered like a flag instead of a solid wall like Rhian's. "You forgot to set the air first, Auric." Shema chided. The other two continued to work on theirs without much to show for their efforts.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

As Viviana carefully wove the air and earth energies together, she thought about the versatility of this particular shield. Not only would it deflect small projectiles like Shema's mud ball, but it could also protect her from larger dangers. She remembered her cruel grandfather's beatings and the abuses she had suffered on the street. If I master this, she realized, no one will be able to hit me again!

Her strength returned in full force. This was important, perhaps one of the most important spells she would ever learn. She had always wanted to find out what had happened to her mother after the woman had sent her small daughter away, but fear of her grandfather had always held her back. With this shield, I'll be able to walk right into his house and demand to know where my mother is and he will not be able to lay a hand on me! I'll be safe from him forever!

Finished, she surveyed the stone wall in front of her. It looked strong and sturdy, able to withstand almost anything. Certainly it could deflect a simple mud ball. She wasn't afraid of a little dirt anyway. She had spent four yahren of her life covered in it. She could still remember how loud she had screamed when Signora Bianchi had given her her first bath.

“Apprentice Shema!” she called out confidently, forgetting to raise her hand in her excitement. “If you think my shield is strong enough, hit me with your best shot!”
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"At your command, Student Viviana." Shema smiled and let the mudball fly. The first one she aimed directly at Viviana's earthen ward. Viv felt the weave shudder with the impact and once again her spell being challenged sent a pulse of energy back through her grounding that threatened to unravel her concentration. This time though Viviana was ready for it and her concentration stayed as solid as her shield.

Satisfied with the strength of the ward, Shema then started lobbing mudballs at unprotected parts of Viviana. She found that the shield slid quite easily at her mental and physical command though the effort drained her. Viviana was able to deflect three more lobbed mudballs before Shema nodded in satisfaction. "You have the method down Viviana. Now you just need practice."

Shema proceeded to test Auric and Rhian in the same way. Rhian deflected the mudballs effortlessly. Auric on the other hand had weaved his ward too loose and mud spattered through it to dirty his fine blue clothing. Silvana laughed and Auric scowled. Of course, she had yet to form such a ward herself which Shema reminded her of with a mudball to the forehead. Then it was Auric's turn to laugh mockingly and Silvana's to scowl.

Conall chuckled at them both but his eyes flew wide when he realized his turn was next. He threw up his hands and reflexively his ward came together just in time to deflect the mudball. However, his own shock at the weave coming together caused him to lose it and the second mudball caught him on the chin. He grinned sheepishly as he wiped mud from his face. "Guess I earned that."

The gnome had dropped back to the floor to sketch something on his drawings. Shema sighed and didn't even bother to toss the mudball. What would be the point?
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

The barefoot mage was proud of herself for deflecting the mudballs on her first try, and quite surprised that she was able to move the shield around so effortlessly. She was exhausted again, though, and ... not surprisingly ... famished.

She sank wearily into her chair as she watched the attempts of the other students, pleased that she had done better than all of them but Rhian. She felt bad for Silvana, though. I'll definitely ask them if they wish to practice with me later. Perhaps Rhian and I can give her a few pointers, even though I am not exactly sure what I did right. Perhaps I simply have more incentive than they do. I'm probably the only one here who has ever been beaten.

She frowned when the gnome went back to his sketches. Why was he here if he didn't want to learn? I doubt he'll last very long. He doesn't seem to care about magic at all. I wonder what possessed him to even enroll here?

Her stomach rumbled quite loudly. Without thinking, she took the fruit from her pocket and bit into it greedily, savoring the sweet, juicy taste. A trickle of liquid escaped from the corner of her mouth, but her quick tongue licked it up before it had the chance to slide toward her chin. The fruit wasn't enough to assuage her hunger, but it was a start. After class, she planned on heading straight to the dining hall for a snack.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled and summarised by Petros as part of the Modding Seminar! :)

Skills awarded:

Juggling +* (to Basic+***)
Manipulation of Energy: Sorcery +** (to Basic+****)
New skill: Shielding [Sorcery] ~ Basic
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”