Facing the Music ~ Sam 26th MT

Moderator: Mods

Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Facing the Music ~ Sam 26th MT

Post by Becca Acerbi »

All things considered, Becca shouldn't have been as happy as she was. She'd successfully managed to avoid her professor for eight days - quite the accomplishment in her opinion. Well, five of them weren't exactly her fault, but still...

She'd honestly meant to hunt the woman down yesterday, but, well. Becca had got very lost on her way there and wound up in a library. Accidentally, of course. And it was also an accident that she'd completely lost track of time while she was there.

No, really. Everyone can lose about eight marks in a library. Really...

So Becca was walking to Professor Imrelinda's office - doing her best to remember how she got there last time, and considering she was actually on the right corridor, she couldn't have been doing too badly - and trying to come up with a convincing excuse. She was no closer to that when she arrived at her destination, giving the door she assumed led to whassiface- Darien's room a wide berth.

'Best excuses are the ones you don't plan,' she reminded herself, straightening her clothes automatically, flicking her braid over her shoulder, and - wincing slightly, as though she expected it to explode - knocked on the door.
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Becca's hand passed right through the door and something caught her wrist on the other side. The illusion of the door dropped to reveal the stern face of Professor Imrelinda and her right hand had a death grip on Becca's arm.

"So pleased you could squeeze time out your busy schedule to see me, Miss Acerbi." She said dryly. "Please be seated." It was hardly a request as the Professor turned her around by the grip on her arm and backed her into a chair. For that all see looked like a slightly built woman, Imrelinda clearly had a core of iron within.

"So to what do I owe the unexpected honor of this audience?" She inquired acidly.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Her first reaction to someone grabbing her arm had been to jerk back, hand clenching into a fist, ready to lash out - only to see Professor Imrelinda.

'Oh.' Becca thought, eyes widening and fist slowly dropping. 'Oh. Shit.' The girl let herself be dragged - 'As if I have a choice...' she twisted her wrist slightly, testing the woman's grip without thinking - and tried to smother a sigh and a surge of anger. 'It had all been going so well, too...'

The student bit back any comments as she was forced into the chair, and how she managed not to glare - let alone say anything that would put Imrelinda in an even more wonderful mood - she didn't know. What she did do was bring a hand up to where the Professor's fingers had dug in, and try to keep her expression as close to neutral as possible. "I came to apologise. I'm sorry I haven't been to see you, and I'm sorry I -" had the gall to get knocked out and sleep for five days. "I'm sorry I didn't come here as soon as I came to." If she'd known what a wonderful mood the professor was in, she would've come in immediately. Probably even before she woke up if it had been remotely possible. "I assure you, most of the absence wasn't through choice."
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"If you attended to your obligations you would not have to be apologetic." Imrelinda informed her coldly. She sighed and her voice softened. "I do not begrudge you your time to heal. To the contrary, the fact that you became so injured on behalf of the University speaks well of you. I even gave you the benefit of the doubt when I heard you had left the Mender's care but did not arrive here. Out of medical danger does not equate with fully recovered after all."

"However," She spoke and her voice was icy frost once more, "however when I heard you chose to slum with Professor Octava rather than seek me for instruction. That was inexcusable, Becca. It demonstrates a lack of respect for me and flaunts it before the entire school." Imrelinda threw her hands up in exasperation.

"If we are to continue working together I need to know this kind of thing won't happen again." Imrelinda stated. "Is that understood?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

"Slum with..." Becca almost gaped at her, but caught herself. That hurt, in a way that the girl didn't really understand. Professor Octava had seemed... He'd been nice. She hated the word with a passion, but it was true. And this conversation - lecture - whatever it was - had started off badly and was moving far too quickly into the realms of confusion.

"I didn't mean any disrespect, Professor," she said carefully, looking slightly bewildered. "Someone suggested I went to the lesson because it would help, perhaps even make sure I didn't end up like that again. I didn't know it would... Offend you."

Becca stared at Imrelinda blankly for a few moments, trying to get her round what was really a very simple statement. "You don't want me to study with other professors." Becca said finally, as though trying to clarify. "And if I do, I can't study with you." Her hands clenched and unclenched slowly. "Well." She took a deep breath, staring at her hands. "Well."

It was simple enough, really. Promise and get on with the lesson. But...

"If that's what you wish, Professor Imrelinda, then I don't have much of a choice." Not unless she wanted to study with the maniac across the corridor. Her gaze flicked across to the door and she shivered. "I would rather learn from you, and I'm not willing to risk that for something I don't have as much experience with." Becca tightened her hands into fists, fingernails digging into her palms, and forced herself to meet Imrelinda's eyes. "I need to carry on learning about wardings and shields, though." Her voice was soft. "I don't want to end up infringing upon the Menders any more than I have to. Arden's disappeared, and I don't want to follow his example." Perhaps that was a low blow; Imrelinda and Arden had seemed like they were friends. She couldn't really bring herself to care, because throwing down an ultimatum like that was far worse.

"I'd rather study with you, and I can promise now that I won't make the mistake of studying with him when I'm supposed to be here. Not again." Because she was thick, not stupid. "If you object to me learning from him, then I'll tell him so and stop, but I'd rather it didn't come to that." Because if it did, she'd have to go outside and scream for a while, then pester Morgan to tell her what he'd learned.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Professor Imrelinda's face drew back in surprise. "Oh no, you misunderstand me, Miss Acerbi. You are free to seek instruction from any of the professors here as a supplement to my teaching. I am not so vain or arrogant as to think I can teach you everything worth knowing."

The professor dropped down a little to be at eye level with Becca. "I am supposed to be your mentor, Becca. Your primary. Seeking another's instruction before mine like that made me think you sought another to apprentice yourself under. I see now that is not the case." Imrelinda offered her a slight smile and stood back up.

"Moreover, I certainly don't intend for you to end up before the Menders again any time soon. So let's learn some magic, shall we Miss Acerbi?" Imrelinda tilted her head to one side. "After all, illusions are good for more than just a light show after all. Where shall we begin?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

(OOC: Trist's back! Yay! *hugs* I said all the congrats stuff, right?)

Becca usually misread situations and misunderstood what people said - occaisionally on purpose, if she was being honest - but this was possibly the first time she'd ever been happy about doing so. The girl sank back in the chair, a relieved sigh escaping before she could stop it.

She met Professor Imrelinda's eyes and nodded slightly. "If I was going to find another mentor, Professor, you'd be the first to know. Give me some credit."

Becca tilted her head to one side, thinking. She'd had a few vague ideas, but now she was actually in a position to ask about them, they seemed... silly. But she'd got Elvin's letter folded carefully into her purse, and she wanted to be able to offer him some sort of proof that she'd be useful.

Perhaps being useful might balance out how flippant/disrespectful/normal she was with him. She could only guess.

"Well..." She paused, giving the professor a small, exasperated smile. "Just give me a burn or so, I'm trying to think of a way to phrase this that doesn't sound like I've been reading too many bad fantasy novels." Which she had, but that wasn't the point. "Well, invisibility appeals, if I'm being honest, but..." Becca shrugged, looking a trifle sheepish. "If you could show me how to do anything along that line, it'd be appreciated."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Yes you did. Thanks!

"I could say that remaining unseen did not seem to be a problem for you." Imrelinda chided her with a smile that took the sting out of it. "There is not an illusion apprentice yet that has not sought this ability but despite all the tales to the contrary it is a difficult weave to master." She warned her. "There is a reason all the stories usually speak of a ring or cloak that imparts the ability." She stated matter of factly.

"There are three ways of attaining true invisibility: the brute force method, the mentalist method and the illusion mastery method. I am sure you can guess which method I prefer." She smirked.

"With the brute force method, you physically bend the path of light around your body such that people literally see what is behind you. The obvious drawback is that with no light getting through you are left in the dark." She waved her hand in dismissal. "The mentalists slip into a person's mind and erase the knowledge that they have seen the wizard. Won't work on the strong willed and you must be aware of those watching you else you can't affect their minds. Practically useless for any stealth."

"Now illusion mastery works by cloaking yourself in an illusion of exactly what is around you minus yourself. It requires full perception of all that is around you and great skill at shifting the illusion to match new positions as you move about." Imrelinda informed her. "With practice it can become almost second nature. When first starting out it requires almost your full concentration. So to start you on the path to this skill, we shall start with illusions of concealment. Let's start you with something simple. Stand over there."

Imrelinda pointed to a wooden cabinet that was simple polished wood with little adornment. "Now as I recall the last time we worked I let you do things the easy way with the direct source of illusion energy. This time around you must do it the hard way with light and air. Watch."

Imrelinda swiftly centered and grounded and then to Becca's Aether eyes she swiftly and effortlessly plucked pages from a book entitled 1001 Sunrises and folded them into a paper cabinet. To her physical sight the cabinet was now joined by a twin beside it perfect in every detail. "Light makes the image but it cannot hold it." Imrelinda relaxes her concentration and the cabinet swiftly blurred to a unrecognizable brown blob, the pages fell into a jumbled pile. "This is why we tie it to the very air itself." The cabinet reformed itself only now it was balanced and bound to sky blue scrolls forming a framework under the light. This time when Imrelinda relaxes her grip, the cabinet remains. "Now you try it."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca nearly stuck her tongue out at the Professor, grinning. Of course, she could point out that really, not that many illusionist students got chewed on by undead raptors, but Imrelinda would know that anyway. "Well, I never did have the sense to start with the easy things..." And she hadn't expected it to be easy. Her contact with reality was admittedly tentative, but it was there.

The girl moved when Imrelinda told her to, wincing slightly as the woman ripped the pages out of the book. Yes, she'd done it herself, and yes they weren't real books, but that didn't stop her feeling slightly guilty when she did. But she followed what the professor was doing, especially the way she folded the cabinet and supported it with the air.

'Yep. Definitely don't have the sense to start with something easy...'

Becca nodded and stepped forwards, twitching the pages out of the book - and feeling a slight pang somewhere round her heart, which she ignored - and started to fold them into a cabinet, copying the way Imrelinda had done so as much as she could, looking from hers to her professor's to the real thing to check it. If she made a complete balls-up of part of it, she unfolded it, muttering curses under her breath, smoothed it out, and tried again. She worked the scroll-frame in as she went, because she was pretty damn certain that she wouldn't be able to put it in afterwards as Imrelinda had done.

The girl refused to relax her grip until she saw that it at least looked like a cabinet. Becca had a stubborn streak at least a mile wide, and she would keep trying until it looked right and the frame of air seemed steady enough to hold it. Only then, when she was sure it wouldn't collapse like a house of cards would she risk ever so slowly trusting it to the framework, ducking her head, watching suspiciously as she did, crossing her fingers behind her back.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Imrelinda merely watched her patiently as becca worked at the task that hadbeen given to her. A few times the professor looked like she wanted to say something but she restrained herself and let Becca continue. It only took Becca a few burns to produce something cabinet-ish, like seeing a cabinet through heat haze. Several more burns passed before she produced a cabinet completely in focus though it was a far cry from being an exact double. The copy lacked the luster of the real wood and the brass did not shine for a start. Still, it was a cabinet and it did seem stable and so Becca relaxed her will.

It stood and continued to stand. Imrelinda sniffed. "Let's hope you won't have to hide in my office anytime soon." She commented. "Your decision to tie the illusion to the air as you worked is a fine choice when first starting or when time is not a factor. It allows you to pause in your work as you do now." Imrelinda informed her. "However, if time was of the essence, say you heard someone turn a key in the lock and you needed to be hidden before it opened, throw up the illusion of light first. You can hold it with your will as you frantically try to tie it off while hidden."

Imrelinda examined Becca's handiwork for a few flickers and clucked her tongue. "Becca, how soon do you think you will need to put these lessons of concealment into action? The way I am teaching you is tried and true but it will take time. I have the feeling you have need of swift tricks while you persue true understanding. Have I the right of it?" She inquired gazing at Becca with concern.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca gave Imrelinda A Look at that little comment. For a first attempt, it wasn't bad, surely, but... The girl sighed and rubbed at her head. "This is gonna take a hell of a lot of practice." She looked at her attempt as Imrelinda continued talking, taking note of what she needed to fix. She'd try again later, if she got the chance. But the girl was actually paying more attention to her professor's words than it seemed, nodding in response.

"Well." Becca looked up at Imrelinda, bit her lip, and looked down again. One hand went to her purse, pulling out a neatly folded piece of paper. It was the invitation to Mister Motricé's little meeting, and she turned it over in her hands, looking at it rather than the woman.

"Well," she said again, slowly. "You're right." She looked up, giving the professor a lopsided grin. "I swear, some of the professor's in this place can go psychic at will. If there's anything - and I mean anything - you could teach me at least the basics of in a day, you have no idea how much it'd be appreciated." Becca started to fidget with her plait, trying to decide whether or not to explain about Mister Motricé's meeting. If she didn't explain now, and something happened that stopped her going to a lesson tomorrow...

Yeah. Explaining suddenly looked like a good idea.

Becca folded her arms, leaning against the real cabinet. And no, she didn't poke at Imrelinda's illusion to check which was which. Really.
"One of the mentors is up to something tonight, and I'm going in a vain attempt to stop him getting into anything over his head." She stopped, blinking. "Am I the only one who sees the irony in me trying to keep someone out of trouble?" Becca shrugged, shaking her head in disbelief. "I doubt that there's any way I can do it, because he's... He's like a complete and utter jinx, and I can guarantee something'll go horribly wrong, but... Yeah." She sighed, offering the letter to Imrelinda between two long-nailed fingers. "If I'm not here tomorrow, go yell at Elvin Motricé until he tells you whether I'm actually dying or hungover-dying. Either one's likely, and they'll both be his fault."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Imrelinda took the letter and began to read. Her brow furrowed as she read the contents. "So yet another mage thinks he has it all figured out and can do better than the University." She observed archly. "The University has stood since time immemorial. Groups like this," she shook the letter with disdain, "they wither and die like summer leaves. Try to reign your friend in, Becca and then get clear. The Mage Hunters is one thing but this is a road without support and you aren't ready for it yet."

"And now with matching irony let's start getting you ready for either path." Imrelinda let out her breath in a huff. "We shall begin by getting you more used to working with light. This trick is good in a pinch for a distraction or a momentary advantage. Shield your eyes and look with Aetheric senses only." She commanded. Imrelinda swiftly drew in the energy of light. Pages were simply sucked out of a glowing gold book and just as swiftly released. The flare released was blinding painful even behind closed eyelids and surely searing without. "Useful wouldn't you say?" Imrelinda asked smugly.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca grinned crookedly. "I'm certainly hoping he's not going to try and best the University - after all, it nearly got me killed on my first day here, so I'm hoping he's not going to try and top that." She looked down for a minute, and when she looked back at the Professor, her smile was softer. "I don't think he's ready for it himself, professor. Chances are, it won't get any further than just this one meeting, so you shouldn't have to worry too much. I'll do my best to keep him in check though."

The girl smothered a giggle at Imrelinda huffing, and obediently looked at the Aether. She started to ask What are you going to do? as Imrelinda as the pages flew in - bad experiences with Professors not giving proper warnings - but it died unspoken as she clamped her eyes shut and threw her hands up to protect her eyes.

"Ow." Becca observed, rubbing her eyes. "Hell." She blinked for a few moments, watching the little spots of light dance across her vision, then finally said "Bloody hell." The girl laughed, eyes smarting and wet, trying to see her Professor through the sparkles. "Just a bit." Which was possibly the understatement of the century. "What in hell did you do?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Drew as much of the light in the room into the palm of my hand as I could in a half flicker and released it just as swiftly." Imrelinda answered simply. "Had I not released it in an instant you would have noticed the room grow darker as a bright ball of light appeared in my palm. The release of the light you saw." She smirked. "Now to acheive such a bright flare requires the expertise of working with light that I have. You will most likely have to settle for fast or impressive but not both. Also be aware that the amount of light will limit the size of the flare you make. But so long as you see even barely, there is light enough to make a bright flash." Imrelinda assured her.

"Now there are a few refinements to the technique." Imrelinda smiled and lifted her hands up. "No need to shield your eyes this time." Once again the pages flew into her hand but this time Becca noted she tossed it with a flick of her wrist and a beam of light flew across the darkened room. It struck the bookcase with no sound and the room returned to its former brightness.

"More useful for blinding one enemy instead of all your friends." She nodded. "It is also possible to the hurl the ball some distance and let the flare go off away from you. An illusionists fireball really." She smiled. "Go on." She urged. "Give it a try."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

"Saw it." Becca laughed. She'd been blinking, waiting for the sparkles to fade to a level she could actually see through, dabbing at her eyes with her sleeve as Imrelinda spoke. "Professor, you have the finest grasp of the understatement that I've ever seen, did you know that?" 'Practice. All comes back to practice. Bloody hell fire... And I wanted to play in the library too...'

When Imrelinda brought her hands up, the student automatically stepped back, bringing a hand up to cover her eyes - let no one say she couldn't learn fast. Of course, this time she didn't need to, but that wasn't the point.

'This, I'm going to practice. A lot.' she vowed to herself, tugging at her braid. 'And I'm going to stop looking straight at the lights when she does that otherwise I'm just going to go blind.'

Becca frowned slightly, picking the book up and turning it over in her hands a few times, thinking that she'd have to ask how Imrelinda had managed to get the pages to fly to her and deciding to wait until she'd got this part sorted out. With that decided, the girl resorted to the more mundane way of doing things - ripping out a handful of pages and flicking them across the room.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

It was swift to be sure. Becca reached out, ripped a few pages free and flung them at the far wall. A feeble glow formed in her hand and flew across the room mostly in the direction she sent them. Becca was certain that she could hold more energy than that. Tearing an inch's worth of pages from a book might be the domain of sideshow strongmen in the Tether but in the Aether Becca felt sure she could do it.

At the mild display, Imrelinda simply folded her arms across her chest and gave her the Look. Her foot began to tap as she waited.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca was a veteran of Looks - hell, she'd learnt from mas-mistresses of that fine art - and countered it in the usual way: a sunny is-something-the-matter smile and fixing whatever she'd done wrong immediately.

(Although, if she was honest, there was every chance that Imrelinda wouldn't scare her for the next couple of days without repeating the beginning scene of the lesson. Compared to that, Looks were nothing.)

With the first part of the plan accomplished, and one eye kept on Imrelinda to ensure she didn't respond to that smile the same way as her family had (the Acerbi response usually involved flying objects, most aimed at her), all she had left to do was sort out that pathetic excuse for a light.

Hmphing under her breath, Becca got the largest handful of pages she could manage and pulled it out, tugging a few more pages out as an afterthought, adding them to the pile and hurling the lot across the room.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The lighting in the room dimmed slightly and a bright pulse of light flew from Becca's fingertips to the wall beyond. It was not the searing blast that Imrelinda summoned but certainly enough to give someone pause.

"Brava, Miss Accerbi." Imrelinda clapped twice in approval. "I do believe you are getting the hang of it. Nothing but practice to bring confidence and skill will you aid you there. Now, a swift way to conceal yourself. Observe."

Imrelinda makes a circular grasping motion with her hand and swift lattice of light swirls around her. With her physical eyes, Becca saw the professor now hidden behind a simple cloth curtain. "Its a simple thing." The professors voice came from behind the curtain. "Its all one color and a little thickness to it. If you need it to stand on its own, you can work in the air strands to hold it in place. Still its swift enough to bring up in a hurry and a curtain or similar wall hanging is common enough that people don't suspect one. Give it a try." She smiled.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

(OOC: *pleads a case of being eaten alive by a giant spider in the future IC, and being eaten alive by exam monsters for the past couple of weeks IRL* :oops: )

Becca blinked for a few seconds, partly because of the afterimage and partly from sheer amazement. 'Must not ask "Did you see that?!" Must not ask. Must not ask.' She didn't need to ask; the bright, astonished smile she was wearing said it for her. 'Oh stop feeling so special, you've got other stuff to get through yet.'

The girl looked a little dubiously at the curtain. Surely people would notice a curtain if it wasn't near a window? But then, she could always just make it appear away from her and get out of the way while everyone was checking whether she was behind it...

Satisfied, Becca nodded and quickly shaped a lattice of pages, glancing over occasionally to make it held some resemblence Imrelinda's. Then, before Imrelinda could grace her with Looks, or make any comments on the quality of it, the girl worked in a few pages of air to hold it up while she inspected - and corrected as she went - her handiwork.
Last edited by Becca Acerbi on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The first attempt wasn't too bad. The trick was getting the thickness even. The first curtain looked a little threadbare in spots. Still that was easily fixed with a little focus and the air lattice held it in place.

"Not bad." Imrelinda gave her verdict. "Enough to give you a few seconds. Again just some practice needed and I'm sure you'll get it. Some repetitive drills should help whip you into shape." She smiled.

Imrelinds then forced her though rapid fire weaves, whipping up curtains and tearing them down as swiftly as Becca could.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca shot Imrelinda a Not. One. Word. look as she poked at one of the threadbare patches, then quickly corrected it.

The girl had the reaction to repetitive drills down perfectly. A slight slump forwards and very muffled groan, then looking up at her Professor and saluting faux-wearily.

Becca tugged on her curtain, scattering the pages, then started again faster than before. She had it now, or so she thought. She knew how to do it. Now all she had to do was do it faster. Becca did as she was told, creating the lattice - and being sure to keep it even - as quickly as she could, then tearing it down and starting again until the Professor told her to stop.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Imrelinda watched closely as Becca constructed and tor down her weaves. Only twice did she comment on Becca's techniques, mainly to be sure she did not repeat bad form over and over in this exercise. After about a mark, Imrelinda called a halt to the drills. It was clear that Becca was beginning to tire and at this point there was no need to test the levels of her endurance.

"Well done, Becca. I am glad to see I am right. Only repetition is needed from this point forward to master these simple techniques." Imrelinda noted. "You seem to have a gift for working with ephemeral energies. It is well you arrived with an interest in illusions as I think you might prove frustrated in other disciplines."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca completely lost track of time as she worked, feeling oddly pleased that Imrelinda only had to correct her twice. When she actually stopped, it felt... Odd, like she should still be doing it, despite the fact that the weariness wasn't faked anymore.

She stretched as the professor spoke, still holding a few pages, and stopped half way to stare at her disbelievingly. "Thank you," she said finally, dropping her arms. "Is it impolite to ask where that came from?" Absently she started folding the pages she still held into shapes - butterflies, then a star, then a flower. "I appreciate it, but... What makes you think that?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Experience born of teaching students for fifteen yahren." Imrelinda answered simply. "You have an intuitive grasp for this work, Becca. Every student needs work and practice to get these lessons perfect or swift. Most students need work and practice to even get it right the first time or to understand the theoretical underpinning that goes along with the task I describe. You don't. I describe it once. I demonstrate it once and you throw up a passable attempt without any more said." Imrelinda explained.

"Now it is possible that you are a true marvel and working with all energies comes as easily to you." Imrelinda sniffed. "More often, having one set of energies come easily to you means that other energies are harder for you to work. Ephemeral vs substantial energies is a common split." She informed Becca.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca opened her mouth to demand Fifteen YAHREN?! in tones that suggested doing anything for that long was impossible, then closed it again before that particular thought escaped.

She kept her mouth closed during the praise, although her eyes were wide. A part of her wanted to argue, or offer a glib remark, but... 'She's right. I've done well today.' The thought itself was rather amazing, but the girl was brought down to earth with 'Gods help me next time if I don't keep it up.'

A hastily smothered snort of laughter greeted the It's possible you are a true marvel, and a nod the news that other energies would be harder work. That made sense to her, and it seemed fair enough. "I just need to remember that next time I try anything not... Ephemeral, did you say?" If she ever got another lesson with Professor Octava, she'd have to bear that in mind.

'Being able to ward yourself against chalk does not mean the shield worked properly,' Becca told herself sternly, then looked down at the butterfly shape she was twisting, in an effort to hide her grin.

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”