The Mentor's quarters - TT 28th Samheen

Moderator: Mods

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

The Mentor's quarters - TT 28th Samheen

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin would have bursted out in laughter if he had heard Barret's thought about trust. The Adhiel was as honest as he could be and the thought of double-crossing someone or maneuvering someone in a position that might better his own despised him thoroughly. He was a firm believer in hard work and building your own achievements.

The sorcerer looked upon Barret curiously: "You know Professor Peckerton and Professor Moore? That gives you a lot of credit... I work together with Professor Peckerton. I am Elvin Motricé, Mentor at the University and... much more beside. But we'll talk about this in the seclusion about my quarters."

The Adhiel's quarters contained not much: a bed, a closet, a shelf with books and a single chair. When he had led the others inside he spoke a single word and the walls and door began to glow with a blue hue. "Against unwanted listeners," Elvin explained as he sat down on the bed, "My apologies for not having better accomodation but I haven't gotten around to it. I haven't been in the Citadel that long and... well lets just say that I have been caught up in a lot of problems lately. You can take the chair or the bed. That's all I'm afraid."

"Tell me, how much do the both of you know about what transpired in the Temple of Pan?"
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Having passed the gauntlet of wards to Professor Moore’s quarters, Barrett was neither surprised nor overly concerned with Elvin’s protective wards. He was more interested in scanning the contents of the chamber for any sign of Netheric taint to the energies there.

“I do not know many of the details: Master Noland was unavailable when I attempted to seek him out yesterday morn. I have been led to believe that the infestation was but part of a larger pattern. Even with the Horned One distracted by the events on Pan’s Isle, it would take a potent force to corrupt the temple. Likely one that successfully tempted one of the faithful. I have also been led to believe that there is something of direct concern to my brethren in the Order of Aurelius, although Noland was less than forthcoming in this area.”

“I think a review of the events at Divale would also be of use. There, at least, we can be certain that the Demon Lord was directly involved. Lord Azarin’s account was quite vague.”
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

No object in the room radiatic anything remotely similar to Netherical energies, those objects that shone bright in Barret's mind were all touched with normal magics. Every object in the room was free of this dark taint, yes, but not every person was...

When the Querist turned his gaze upon the sorcerer himself he found traces of the Nether, a residue of a powerful magical event. Whisps of the dark energy clung onto the mage, trying to infiltrate his body but were repulsed by the unconscious mastery of energy the Mentor exerted on the area around him. A mastery that marked him as more then a student, as Mentor Arden had remarked.

Elvin laughed: "Ah, Noland would be quite right to remark that it is of concern to those of Aurelius. It would pose a very real threat to them in their pursuit of knowledge," he grimaced when the memories of the night before came back, "Yes, a potent force indeed. All I, and my students, had was barely enough to destroy the creatures that killed those in the Temple. And it took all my skill to bind the artifact that had summoned those creatures," he looked at Barret, "A Panling tried to unlock that artifact to help in times to come but I think she misjudged its power. The Nether that infested the Temple was insidious. It turned normal insects into hideous mutated forms that were hundreds times as big and that possessed incredible strength," he shuddered, "I'll never look at spiders and ants in the same way again..."
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Nether… The Querist’s studies had revealed that the presence of trace Nether strands tended to be fleeting due to the natural resistance of ambient Aether to its presence. So to see flecks of it about the Mentor was… suspicious. But not entirely unexpected if Elvin had been battling and researching the dark arts.

“Perhaps it would be best to summarize my own involvement in this case before asking any more questions. There have been, as you know all too well, many occurrences of Nether attack recently. Throughout Citadel and the other Isles as well. I helped to defend Oracle’s Isle from one such attack. It seems there is a weakening of the forces that normally prevent such breaches. Due to various things I have read, heard and seen, I believe the source of this weakness in our defenses is the campaign of Dominicus to wipe out the other gods. For they are the beings that stand between the Nether and Tether. If we can bring the gods of the Isles together and either destroy Dominicus or convince him to live in harmony with the others, the problems should cease – or at least return to the rarity that history assures us is the norm.”

“I have been researching this wide area as well as the more narrow events of the Oasis on Amun Rah and the writings of a mad prophet… I was in fact, on Amun Rah during the confrontation below Citadel where the forces of the University and Purple Guard used the Rosestone I have acquired to force the demon out of the dungeons and close the Nether rift it had opened.”

“I am hoping that the various faiths can come together in a similar sort of venture to battle the One god. But the Citadel must be healthy again before such energies can be gathered here. We must destroy this demon lord… What you say of it makes sense… and almost sounds familiar somehow. What exactly was the nature of the artifact? Do you have it upon you? I only ask because the taint of Nether seems to cling to you like a shadow.”
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder looked on carefully as they entered the University and made their way to Elvin's quarters. Although sensing the wards and guards on the room was lost to the former Captain, he did understand that such things were likely in place and he appreciated them without seeing them.

"I'm afraid that after the riots, I was indisposed towards receiving new information. I was in the midst of a survival situation and trying to fight for my life. Since then, I was trying to gather information of a different sort, which lead me to the Divale."

"I'm sure you too have much to discuss, and I will sit quietly and try to glean as much as I can from your experience, discovery and knowledge. I'll expect that I'll have a few questions, but I'll try to interrupt as little as possible."
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The mage's respect for the Querist was growing even more when he heard about his accomplishments. The more the priest talked, the more Elvin started to like him. "He's intelligent... He would be a fine addition to the Shadowstar... Maybe I'll ask him, I need more experienced people!"

The sorcerer's train of thoughts was abruptly interrupted when Barrett mentioned the War of the One and he jumped from the bed: "WHAT? Dominicus is trying to do WHAT? The last couple of weeks have been too hectic and dangerous for me to gather a lot of information. This is of utmost importance!" "To whole world is going to the Nether... Before we do something about this, we must first destroy the more apparant source of malice."

"The Rosestone..." the Adhiel looked at Barret with even more respect, "I have heard of it." "We're running out of time... I have no choice. I'll have to take the risk and trust these two."

The Mentor stood up and looked at the two men: "Both of you are men that have faced the Nether before. Both of you seem to be trustworthy," the Adhiel sighed, " I'll have to take a chance. There's no longer any time left to calmly sort out your allegiances. For now I ask you to give me an oath, by your soul, your honour, your life and your god that you will never repeat or speak of what I'll show you. If you are unwilling to accept such an oath, you're free to leave now. If you do and I find out you broke it," a fire sprang up in his eyes, "I WILL hunt you down. I'll share a few personal things with you, as well as some very dangerous knowledge... Furthermore, I'ld like to ask of you to be open and truly honest. If you know something, anything how trivial it may seem, about what is going on or about the things you'll see then talk about it! After I've shown you these things I'll ask you another question... A very important one."

OOC:
I'll assume that the both of you swear the oath. If you don't, just leave the thread. I'll write out what happens next to speed this up

IC:
"Do not try to expel me from your mind. You'll begin to see, and feel, some of the things I have experienced. If you struggle the connection will be lost, I am not going to force my will upon you. The images can't hurt you..."

The sorcerer closed his eyes and sent out his will towards the two.
"Hear me... Close your eyes and relax... Steady your breathing..."

Elvin floated in his own mind, his mind opened to the energies around him. He could see Barrett and Ulder on the Aetherical level. "Time to begin... It has been a while but it shouldn't be too hard..." The Adhiel had done this trick before and now he intended to do it again: tro project images into the minds of the other two.

He reached with his mind and touched the minds of the others lightly. "Relax and watch..."

They were looking at an industrial city that loomed over them... ~World's Mouth~ it echoed in their minds. The scenery changed and in a rapid succession the two saw how bystanders shouted insults to them. It was at that point that they realized that they were an Adhiel. ~Racism... The intolerance of the people here is astounding...~

Again the scenery shifted. The Adhiel stood motionless in a forest and his mind floated high above, on the energies. An army of Orcs approached and the sorcerer was desperately guiding another group of magic users to destroy the leaders. A powerful Netheric entity suddenly appeared and they felt how their lifeforce was leeched from their body. Tremendous pain followed, a thunder of Orc-feet could be heard, growing louder and louder and...

The images shifted. The Adhiel stood on a road, aching from several wounds and he was inspecting a strange magical portal on the road. He stepped through and landed in a swamp. An old portal, inscribed with runes stood there, connected to the newer magical construction by powerful dark magic. They could feel through the sorcerer's mind that a lot of people had died here to empower the magic. Time flowed past quickly and they saw how the sorcerer stood in front of the portal triumphantically. As he activated it the Nether construction collapsed by the spell he wove. ~That is how I ended up here... Now...~

They stood in the Temple of Pan, the Adhiel's arms rose up in a complicated gesture and suddenly he rose into the air, a construction around him lighting up the temple.

Images came in rapid succession now. Flying down a corridor into a spider's lair built upon an Alter of Pan's Blood. Burning a giant spider and freeing a Panling from the spider's coccoons. Rushing past giant ants into a room...

Pure darkness spiraled from an object in the wrecked room. Sickening energies wracked their stomachs. They saw how the darkness spiraled towards an ant's nest and how the creatures began to grow.

A blast of fire from their hands dealt with the ants. Now they focussed upon the book. Aether, pure and bright, was skillfully woven into a net around the darkness and the mage pulled.

Pain exploded in their minds as the darkness fought back, images of hopelesness, promises of death when the Nether ruled, it all rolled by. They had the feeling that they were perceiving these images and emotions through a filter that dampened their power. ~No need to drain your energy...~

Power coursed through their veins as they poured more and more magic into the net. Frantically the Adhiel struggled, his mind locked in a battle that he could not afford to lose. After all, his friends were outside...

Then suddenly, the net snapped tout and disappeared into the book, taking the darkness with it. The sorcerer took the book, wrapped it in rags and left.

The scenery shifted again. Now they stood in a room that was covered by ward upon ward. The sheer power of the construction whirling around them. And in front of them... The book. They could feel power building in their body, some sort of spell to raise the shroud of the past and divine the book. They felt their body brace for the struggle that would inevitable follow for seeing into the past was difficult. The images came easily however...

There was an artistry to lashing someone. Any thug could simply grab a whip and strike a man on the back repeatedly. A true artist took his time. The whip lashed out once and cut into the prisoner's back. First there was searing pain and then the slow lingering burn. The victim must be given time to savor that burn else each stroke merely blurs into the other. It is not the same at all.

The weilders of these whips were the grand artists of their craft. They did not even cut the skin. It simply raised a painful welt, a thin strip of agony that slowly grew across the man's back one whip breadth at a time. When their task was done all that remained was five quick slices of a sharp knife and the square of human skin saturated with agony was ready to begin its journey to becoming a page of the book.

If the whipmaster were truly on form, the skin of the back would heal without blemish and the process would begin again. If not, there was always a demand by the inkmakers for more blood.

This scene played out before the Adhiel's eyes for each and every of the book's pages. Men, women, and children were all dragged screaming before the whips. The lucky ones died of their wounds or a sharp cut of the knife across the throat. The unfortunate faced the whips again and again betrayed by their own endurance and ability to heal to feed the seemingly endless need for parchment fit to contain the words written in blood.

The images faded as they came back to reality. Barrett, and Barrett alone, heard Elvin whisper in his mind. ~I, Khar-Naahrn! That is the only thing on the first page of that book that can be understood. Do you recognize it, priest?~
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett was quite abashed at the sudden intense communication. It lacked the subtlety and voluntary aspects of his own form of communion with Danomel. But, brute force or not, it was quite effective. The horrors of the “Book” sent Barrett deep into his own meditative state. It was a burn or two before he could reply.

“Abomination!”
He spat the word and then was silent for several flickers more. Though he stood still, the muscles about his mouth twitched and his brow creased considerably. His hands instinctively sought for the smooth wood of the Bough beneath his cloak.

There was great sorrow in his voice when he spoke again. As if he, or his order, were somehow responsible for the Book.
Keepers of Knowledge, are we not? How can we have failed to protect Tazlure from this wretched work? Yet how could we destroy it? It is the same question that was posed at the Repository. But I think there may be a solution to separate knowledge from blasphemous trap disguised as knowledge…

“The mad prophet. I know of him and his works. The Liber… it tempts but it can offer no true help. It is a trap. One that the Panling priest had no business opening. I fear there is a way to unlock any secrets worth keeping, but it will take time. Time that we do not have now.”

“It makes Noland’s warning to my associate ring true.”
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Much to Elvin's surprise Barrett knew about the writer. "Mister Treespan, you honour your Aurelian faith. I suspect that I'll need to discuss this with you later on... When, IF, there is time."

The wizard surveyed the two men before him. "Both of them posses the qualities I'm looking for. The idea behind the Shadowstar has changed... Their talents would be usefull... And they share my beliefs... Very well."

"Seeing you reaction I am compelled to ask you another question. This one also falls under the oath both of you have sworn," the Mentor started pacing, "Both of you are aware of the actions the government has taken against these current threats," he looked at them, his face contorted in disgust, "Or should I say the measures they did NOT take? A vacuum of power has been created with the death of the Caesar and most of those with power are too busy consolidating their own base of power or destroying that of someone else to pay attention to the true embodiment of the Empire: it's citizens!"

A sigh escaped the sorcerer: "Iam tired of it. Ever since I got here people with power tried to manipulate me... And NEVER for the sake of their people! Only to further their own goals! Even the University isn't suited to deal with these problems. They're too politically involved and dependant upon certain factors."

Elvin stared at a spot past the two men as he relived the night before: "Last night I created a coven... A political independant organisation to react in magical emergencies. An agency dedicated to the people. But... the events in Pan's Temple and the book convinced me that I have to develop it further. I need people who share my beliefs, who are talented, willing to learn and willing to work together. We need knowledge from all races, all countries to counteract the coming storm. We need people who'll help us. We need influence in the government to devot ourselves to protecting people."

The Mentor focussed upon the duo: "Both of you are intelligent and wield or have wielded power. You know what I mean and... I believe that you share my ideals. Would you be willing to join us? In whatever capacity you wish?"
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

“It seems you share some of my political opinions, although I seek to guide things right from within the system if such a thing be possible.”

The events of the Council weighed heavily upon the Querist. In truth, he doubted that productive change was possible. So he would have to continue to work in secret, attempting to see that the needs of the folk of the empire were seen to even in the midst of the topsy-turvy maneuvering of court.

“However, I fear I juggle too many overt loyalties these days. Those who are my allies have reason enough to doubt my allegiance. My participation would need to be solely in an advisory capacity.”
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Only a handful of times before had someone so completely run amok in his mind. He found it quite jarring and disruptive to his concentration. Yet despite the intrusion he found the images and scenes compelling and disturbing. Fodder for an already revenge and justice addled mind.

"Your newly founded organization is compelling. Yet, I fear there is precious little I can do to assist you. I am a soldier. It is likely I will never be more, and impossible to be any less. If I can assist you, I will. But that is a spirit born from brotherhood and friendship more than from political allegiance."

"I fear swearing any other oath to you now cannot be done with a clear mind and a steady conscious. My sole aim right now is to free Elaine. Anything that would help me toward that purpose is all I can swear to at this time. Once the demons have been destroyed and Elaine is safe and home. Perhaps then could I commit to such a cause. Until then. It would only be false words, and we both have had far too many of those. I hope you can understand."

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Elvin smiled when Barret was talking: "As was to be expected... I gladly accept you in any capacity you wish. I feel there is much we can learn from each other. Maybe you can let me know about the things that are occuring in court, at least those things that do not hurt your other allegeciances."

He turned to Ulder, no longer smiling: "I understand, my friend. You already have my help in this. Elaine... reminds me of someone but I can't think of whom. She's indeed very special to me, although not in the same way as she is to you."

He sighed and took a seat on the bed: "Now, back to business... Do you, by any chance, know the name of the daemon that has taken Elaine? And what about the Oneists? Tell me the things I need to know for the coming struggle, we can fill in the gaps later."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Are we finished here gentleman?
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

OOC: I'm still waiting for posties here. Don't know about the other two good sirs ;)
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

“Names. Do demons really have names such as we use? Judging by the conflicting reports that pass for ‘authoritative’ writing, I would take any information associated with such a being’s apparent identity with a grain of salt. Especially with texts that purport to define the supposed hierarchy of the Nether Host. There is as much misinformation – if not more - than accurate. I suspect the demons intentionally mislead those who attempt to study them… But my instinct is that the level of power demonstrated by Elaine’s captor is closely associated with the Liber.”

“As for the coming War… it has already started. My information is vague, as much of it stems from interpreting the abstract messages of the gods through the Aether. I know that the Oneists have actively warred on those of other faiths on their own continent. And I am most certain that Pan’s Isle has been invaded by Western forces. Dominicus and his followers make war on all other faiths, causing a lapse in the protection that the gods provide against Nether encroachment. This hits us at a time when the Empire is without a leader… altogether too much trouble for my taste.”

“Perhaps it is time to join the others and see what information the good professor has gleaned?”

Barrett held off pursuing the subject of what to do with the Liber. He suspected that his plan would not meet with the Mentor’s approval. For it was a very specific plan of action that would require a level of trust that might only be earned from experience together on the battlefield.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder thought about his experience in the Divale and the way the demon had used his own thoughts and experiences against him.

"In the Divale, we fought a creature of slime and ooze. It had no form, no legs, or anything else that resembled Human or Adhiel. It somehow moved across the ground and it wounded some legionnaires and took Elaine. It formed a tentacle or something similar around her to carry her off."

He wasn't sure if what he was relating to them would help at all, but perhaps it would match a description that they might have read somewhere.

"It also spoke to me. Showed me false images to trick and confuse me. It was only after it had been broken by physical contact that I realized what it had been doing. Most importantly, I think I know what its doing, rather than how it does it."

He steeled himself. This was not an easy topic, but given the knowledge and experience of the two men, it could not hurt to offer up by way of comparison and additional information.

"It's simple really. This entire city exudes a Song. All of the lives of those who dwell here add to that song with the essence of their lifeforce, their souls. Each life adds a voice, and all of the voices are intertwined together."

He cast glances at Barrett and Elvin to see if they were following along and continued. Elaine had explained this to him, and now he shared it to the best of his ability.

"This Song is the most powerful weapon against these creatures. It's a direct link with the power of the Gods. Elaine can hear it. She can hear the melodies and the harmonies and hear these creatures as they taint and corrupt that Song. The power of this is why they have taken her I believe. I believe that if they can corrupt the Song enough, they will be able to enslave us all to their will, and transform our world into a twisted version of theirs, and rule over us."

"That is the power we have over them and our key to defeating them and banishing them back to the Hells in which they came from. If we get enough people together, bound by faith, bound by hope, bound by a common determination and will, then we can strike at these things in a manner in which they have no defense. They will be weakened and destroyed. I think if we can find where the taint is coming from, that is where Elaine will be. That will be the heart of these things, and that is where we will strike."

Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett nodded in agreement with Ulders interpretation of the Song. He perceived something similar in the Great Pattern of All Things. It was part of the core of his own paradigm of faith. As Ulder spoke, he moved his opened his cloak to reveal the slim walking stick that he carried.

"Indeed, it is the Song that I hope will be our strongest weapon... I have been concentrating all of my magicks into disguising the energy of this particular vessel of the True Song."

He held forth the Bough.

"It contains energy fed by the sacred garden within the palace. Planted by my mentor many yahren past, and harvested by Zersa the Gardener so that its energy would remain true in the face of the slow corruption that has threaded its way through the spirit of Citadel. Zersa seemed to think that its energy could help reawaken the True Song in Elaine to overcome whatever influence the Nether may have upon her."

"I was going to keep it a secret between Zersa and myself... but if I die, someone else will need to take it up. I trust you two over all others, for you both care for Elaine and possess the strength of will to see this through."
Last edited by Barrett on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

"Often the names that daemons use, are those that are given by them by the mortals that summon them. Naming is important to find information and to catalogue it, wether you name by ability or give it some wholly other name, if we can define part of the daemon then I can look for more information," Elvin replied to Barrett.

The Menytor listened attentively to Barrett's explanation and sighed. "Everything is happening at the same time... Some bad timing these Oneists have. We'll have to worry about that after this demon..."

The mage didn't reply to Barrett's last question as his entire attention was focussed on Ulder and his story. When Ulder came to his description of the demon, the sorcerer paled and whispered in Adhiel: "Impossible... Please don't let it be true..." "The Changer..."

Still worried about the possibility that such a powerful creature was roaming around the Citadel, the Adhiel found it hard to focus on the rest of Ulder's recount. But as soon as the captain started about the Song the mage forgot his worries for a moment. Much of the things Ulder told him were connected closely to his view of the universe so it wasn't so hard for the Mentor to unify him with the image of a Song. Elvin looked at Ulder: "Does Elaine realize what she can do, Ulder? If I'm not mistaken she has the power to create... or to destroy," the Mentor looked at Ulderon, "Dear gods... If they get Elaine far enough she can give them enormous power, even destroying the wordly limitations that affect them here!"

He turned to Barrett and nodded: "Your trust is touching. I believe I might have some information on the demon but I'll have to research it a bit more... I'll inform you later on, when everyone gathers." "Lets pray I'm mistaken... Be strong, Elaine!"

OOC: sorry for the late reply, totally overlooked this one!
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder examined the Bough and memorized its shape and form. He was certain that he did not have the skills to wield such a potent thing, but he was very confident he could retrieve it if the worst were to happen. He turned his attention to Elvin's questions.

"The answer to your questions lie only with Elaine and no other. I will say this, she knows that this 'Changer' is tainting and corrupting the Song and is determined to end it. When we last spoke, it was our enduring promise to one another that our mission be to restore the Song."

He remembered all too well that last meeting between them. He dreamed of it. It was perhaps the most difficult thing he had ever endured. He had seen men under his command be injured and killed.

Quall....

He had seen loved ones die before him.

Cyren...

He had faced numerous threats to end his life and bled from grievous injuries himself, but seeing the tears in her eyes was nearly impossible for him to bear.

He stood as it seemed their meeting was nearly at end.

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Unless anyone has some poignant parting words, I am going to declare this thread finished.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

OOC: Amen :)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Archived with no skills awarded.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”