UOM: A Class for Shielding - MT Chyril 22nd (Open)

Moderator: Mods

Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

UOM: A Class for Shielding - MT Chyril 22nd (Open)

Post by Corbin Dillon »

OOC: Anyone is free to join this, a class for those students wanting to improve their shielding skills. Or who just want to have a bit of magical banter ;).

Corbin sat quietly in the classroom. He was early, for a change, and bored. In truth he was early because he had got the time wrong and arrived half a mark early. As per usual, he had beautified himself nicely for class. After all, there were ladies aplenty to impress. In fact, he could have been wrong but he was rather certain that he had caught Professor Acantha casting an appreciative eye over his physique a few days ago. Clearly the lady had taste.

As Corbin pondered this, it began to become rather evident that he had been involved in far too few death-defying incidents recently, and he was becoming, for want of a better word, comfortable. For, in truth, who could be comfortable upon the torturous beds the University supplied them with? But the fact of the matter was that he had not set anybody on fire purposefully for a long time. Well, purposefully perhaps, but not in a vicious manner. Indeed, demons and Slayers had been as absent from Corbin's life as they had been before he arrived in The Citadel. It was mortifying.

He gently summoned a flame in his hand and let it go out again, a relaxing technique that also helped focus his magic. Plus it was pretty looking at fire. As he watched the display two things struck him. One was that he very much needed to expand his range of offensive abilities. Fire was all well and good, but it was a bit too showy. And not too useful against water-based creatures. The second was that he really needed to stop wearing the Amulet of Ego. It wasn't good for him. Still, it DID look pretty.

He sighed and waited for the class and the professor to arrive.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Shit!, Anora thought as she ducked and weaved through the heavy foot traffic surrounding the university. She had to lose that damn guard. How the nether was she supposed to know he was watching that girl? She wasn't that pretty, anyways. She ducked into a darkened archway, waiting for the guard to run past, which he eventually did. Then, she did a quick change into girl's clothes (damned inconvient skirts), fluffed out her hair as best she could and tried to blend in with crowd.

She saw an open doorway just as the guard turned around and started scanning the crowd. Hitching her bag on her shoulder, she quickly entered. Looking around, she noticed that it seemed to be a classroom. Well, if you can't hide in the hall... She also noticed a guy sitting alone. Oh, that could work well. She put on her nervous face and moved to go sit near Corbin, brushing past him and giving him a quick smile before seating herself. Her eyes darted to the entrance to the room, waiting to see if the guard tried to follow her.
[color=darkblue][i][b]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.[/b][/i][/color]
Dorothy Parker

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Ashtallion sauntered down the corridor with a natural grace, hands folded into the sleeves of his black robe. The only ornamentation he wore this day was his signet ring, noting him as a Noble, other than that he looked perfectly humble in the plain, unadorned midnight garb of a sorcerer, the hem of it sweeping the stone floors as he walked. Despite exuding a calm and confident air, his thoughts were a continuous storm of progression and turning, seeking answers to questions he had thought of the previous day and dredging up questions that he would later ponder on. Most his thoughts however were focused on his pursuit of higher sorcery, and the book in his possession. Its secrets would one day make amongst the strongest sorcerers Tazlure had ever seen…..yet that day was long in coming no doubt.

Amidst his turbulent mind, a spark of curiosity diverted his attention as he strode past an open door into one of the classrooms where two figures currently sat. He rose an eye brow and entered, taking a look around. Yet another room he had never been in before but would now add to his mental map of the University.

The sorcerer recognised one of the two, Corbin. He suppressed a smile. The human’s struggles against the demon known as The Changer, and that of others including Elvin, had been related to him by other members of the Faculty upon his arrival back in Citadel those three months ago. Apparently the student mage had proven himself a deft hand at demon slaying, or at least aiding his comrades in arms. A magic-user to keep an eye on for the future at any rate.

“ I’m assuming you two are waiting on one of the Professors? “, his eyes lingered over Corbin. Sorcery streamed from the young man, a small conjuring of fire that he recognised…fire being so familiar to himself also. “ What class is it? “, his golden eyes bore into the girl then, trying to get a sense of her magic, yet oddly he could see no weavings or lingering aetheric energies. Perhaps a new student?
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin released a sigh of boredom just before Anora arrived. It was quickly stifled as the rather small and slim girl entered the room and looked about. Corbin wasn't entirely convinced that she wasn't one of the faeries he had been looking for come to life and enlarged several-fold. As she came closer he could definitely see a hint of nerves on her face. Perhaps a new student? He thought about trying to take her by surprise by launching a jet of water at her, but decided that was not particularly friendly, for likely she would not be able to stop it.

She brushed up against Corbin as she wandered towards a seat. That was remarkably friendly, perhaps she was one of these 'friendly' students that he had heard of, but as of yet not come across. Well, excepting Fauna, of course but that was a completely different matter entirely.

"Good morningtide to you." He said politely.

He was about to continue on when another person entered - a person that Corbin remembered from the rather eventful class several months ago. He snuffed out the fire in his palm, for it seemed bad manners now there were others present.

"Ahhh, good day to you Ashtallion." He said pleasantly, with a warm smile. "You deduce entirely correctly - we are waiting for a Professor. I can't remember which one. Then again, I couldn't remember the time of the lesson so that is little surprise." He said with a chuckle. "It's shielding, so I'm guessing it'll be Moore, but then the old devil is always pulling surprises so it could be a talking pig." He chuckled.

He then turned his attention back to Anora.

"How rude of me - I am Corbin, and this is Ashtallion." He announced. "You are new here?" He enquired.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" Shielding is it? Most likely Moore then, yes. ", as Corbin introduced himself to the strange girl, Asht bowed his head in turn, he never expanded on his own title, though etiquette may have demanded that he make his own station apparrent. Perhaps in due course. Turning his gaze to Corbin again, " I heard of your exploits with the demon, Corbin. You held yourself together well I believe....impressive....reminds me of when I first joined the University. I killed one of the Professors. ", he laughed slightly, yet a haunted shadows stalked his eyes until he shrugged it off. " Of course, Tarrant was a darkmage. ", he smiled and inclinged his head again towards the young woman.

"I'm not in the habit of murdering staff members, not while I am now a member of the faculty. However I'll keep you both company until Moore...or whoever is taking the class gets here. ", he side gllanced to Corbin. " Do you want to start practicing? I'm sure the Professor won't mind whilst someone is here to supervise. "
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora gave Corbin what might have been a shy smile, her teeth catching a bit of her lower lip as the corners of her mouth turned up, except for the mischief that suddenly sprang up in her eyes as she noted him watching her. Sometimes being a girl was useful. And he wasn’t that bad looking, though she preferred females to males. This one, at least, didn’t scratch himself in front of her.

Then Ashtallion entered and she couldn’t help but notice him. Confidence he wore about him like a regal cloak. Oh, this one would be fun to rob. Take him down a peg or two. But she kept the innocent smile on her lips as he searched her for magic. No, she knew no magic, except how to make a bracelet or money pouch disappear. Though, a bit of hocus pocus wouldn’t be amiss in the pickpocket trade.

As they spoke, she listened carefully, taking note that Moore was teaching a class on shielding (whatever the hell that was, but probably useful in her trade too) and that it could be a talking pig teaching. Now that would be interesting. Then, they were talking to her. Turning up the smile a few notches, she replied, “Is it that plain? Yes, very new. Just arrived, in fact,” she replied, keeping her voice at her normal, feminine pitch. Her mother would be so proud. “I’m Anora,” she said, reminding herself not to stick her hand out like a man. She was being a girl now. Girl, girl, girl. No spitting, no cursing, no scratching. It was quite hard.

Which is why she gasped and let her eyes grow wide as Ashtallion spoke of both men’s glory days. Oh, now that sounded like an adventure. Her eyes danced with eagerness as she listened. Maybe she should take up this whole magic thing. Sounded like they had fun. Though, she frowned when it was suggested they practice. "Oh, I don't know..." she said, nibbling on her lower lip as she had been taught by her mother as being cute.
[color=darkblue][i][b]The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.[/b][/i][/color]
Dorothy Parker

Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"Oh well, it was nothing really." Corbin said modestly as Ashtallion praised his part in the destruction of the Changer. Granted he had participated throughout the key stages - locating the Changer, destroying its portal and then finally it, but his had been largely a supportive role. "Just a bit of running about and fire throwing, really. Not quite so exciting as killing a dark professor." He said with a grin.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Anora." Corbin said politely to her. "I'm sure you'll enjoy it here at the University. Not many demons and evil professors about at the moment, as far as I can make out." He said with a wink.

Turning back to Ashtallion he nodded his head.

"I'm certainly ready to start practicing." He said eagerly. "I've been working on my sorcery quite a bit, but my shielding is still a little weak and whilst the best defence is often a strong offence, I'm rather of the persuasion that a strong defence would nicely compliment it." He said with a slight chuckle, before turning to Anora. "Come on, it will be fun. Good practice for when those nefarious staff members turn up." He commented with a smile, before turning back to Ashtallion.

He focussed his thoughts on the creation of his shield. His shield took the appearance of fire, and he began to weave it about himself. His first step was to throw up a swift shield about himself, binding the magic about him. It was not a strong shield at all, but it could be summoned very quickly - handy in an emergency. That done he began to construct a more thorough shield. He started at his head and then wound the defence about him, and worked down to his chest, then his legs. That done he paid particular attention to his underarm areas, where he often left gaps. Once that was done he finished off by drawing the shield underneath his feet to seal the shield off, and then looked up expectantly, wondering what form Anora's shield would take.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

A common thought jumped to Anora's mind at Corbin's insistance that they practice this shielding thing. One that found its way into her mind and sometimes out of her lips on many an occassion. That thought? Shit, I'm so screwed. She often, with her devil may care attitude, found herself in sticky situations. Seems she had gone from the frying pan straight into the magical fire.

In times like this, she was thankful for the lessons given her by her grandmother and mother and the height advantage passed on by her father. She tried to look as small as possible and blushed. "I...I...," she stammered, nibbling her lower lip again and opening her eyes wide to look up at the men. "I've never tried," she said, looking for all the world embarrassed by her lack of knowledge.
Dorothy Parker

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

" Fret not, Anora. ", Ashtallion gave her a bright smile, " Considering you are new to the University, I am not suprised you do not know how.... though.....", he allowed as small frown. " I did not think the professors would throw you into a class such as this before teaching you the basics. Once the professor gets here, I'll mention this. Feel free though to observe Corbin, note his stance and breathing. Concentration is a key factor when shielding.... ", he stepped a few paces back from the girl and Corbin and raising his arms outwards, his black robe seemed to ripple like undulating shadows.

A soft golden haze seemed to surround the mage as he started to weave his own shield. " Normally, shields do not have to be visable, but for the purposes of demonstration, its easier. ", Ashtallion bent the threads of energy that made up his shield. Raw force, intertwined with air and given the golden hue he was soo very fond of by tying in random knots of light. " Now, a shield such as this one, is designed primarily to protect the magic user from outside interferences, such as another wizard who might seek to do harm with sorcery. Whether is be a physical or mental attack by the enemy, a strong shield is crucial to survival.....in most cases anyway. The shield must cover you entirely. Fit you almost like a second skin, and in fact your shield, if woven correctly, will rest on, almost in, your skin. Like so... ", his own golden wrought shield started to bend slightly, around his head, his arms, folding around his torso and legs.

The gold nimbus reflected his own shape now and slowly descended to touch his skin, the resulting effect looking as though the sorcerer was emitting a golden glow to match his eyes of the same metallic colour. " Speed comes with practice, I took longer so you could see the workings of it Anora. But in time, remember that the longer you take to conjure and insulate yourself with a shield, the longer your enemy has to attack. A shield though, is also used to protect the magician from his own magic as well. ", in his right palm, he twisted and knotted several strands of red, firey energy, the thread glittering like spun rubies. Hopefully a small globe of fire would pop into his palm. " Had I not woven a shield, I could potentially burn myself with my own fire....hence why a shield vitally important for survival against your own spells. ", he chuckled a little, fingers fluttering and dispersing the flames.

" Your shield, as I stated, must cover you. No cracks or gaps, least a sorcerer use that weak spot to enter and harm you severely, possibly kill you with his or her first strike. A very important lesson Battlemages such as myself remember well.

" Anyway, listen to me prattling on, you would think I was taking the class. ", the mage laughed again. The golden haze dimmed slowly, his eyes partially closed as he unwove his shield. Not necessary for such slowness, but he enjoyed the dramatics. New students often gazed in awe at one who had more control over their power than they did.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin watched [b]Ashtallion[/c] intently as the mage constructed his shield. Of course Corbin knew the rudiments of shielding, but some of the suggestions that Asht made were exceedingly useful and Corbin committed them to memory. His shield had always been set off from his skin, but he certainly saw the advantages of having it closer, almost in his skin. That was something to practice with.

"I'm sure the Professor will tell you about it when he arrives." Corbin said encouragingly to Anora. "It's not really that difficult once you get the hang of things." He then turned back to Ashtallion.

He abandoned his current shield, letting it fall away as he watched and listened and then when Asht had unwoven his shield Corbin set to conjuring his own again. This time, however, he intended to bring it much closer to his skin - directly adjacent in fact. That was just to begin with. Once that was achieved he would try and tighten it up. Another change he made was to the appearance. Rather then bathing himself in an illusion of fire, he tempered it somewhat. Fire was showy, and perhaps in certain circumstances would be useful - for instance if he wished to inspire fear in someone who had know magical knowledge. So this time, as he took the energy from the aether, he set to winding it into a translucent red shield. It was not a bright red he aimed for, but more a gentle hint of red. he concentrated on the energy he wants, taking hold of the strands he wanted and working them about him. He did not do it as quickly as he had done the first time, for he was seeking to make it tight about him, rather than do it swiftly. Once he had improved his shield, then he could begin to do it quickly.

Once he had it as he would like it he turned to Asht.

"Can you test it?" He asked him. "Find the weak spots. But try not to set me on fire." He joked.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

If the men were seeking to impress her, they were doing a damn good job. Anora sat and watched agog at the proceedings. On, this magic stuff could be quite useful. Granddad would pitch a fit, but hey, any adhiel that married a human brothel owner didn't get a say in whether his pickpocket granddaughter learned magic. Mum wouldn't care, if it brought in more shinies.

Her eyes were opened wide, watching with rapt attention as the men made their shields. She noted the way Ashtallion slowly seemed to be drawing the stuff to him. Her eyes took in everything. The glow, the concentration. Now this was something to nick off a person. Magic. For a flicker, she wondered if and how someone stole magic. Well, if there's a will, there's a way to steal it.

Corbin's words just received him a nod as she chewed her lower lip in concentration. Yeah, test him. Show her where the weak spots would be...
Dorothy Parker

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

OOC: Trying not to take any great liberties here! Conscious of the fact a mod hasn't swept this thread up yet.

IC: The mage continued to smile lightly as he regarded Corbin, though as his gaze flicked to Anora, he saw the look in her eyes that spoke of more than arcane interest, then scolded himself silently for being overly suspicious. Recent events in his life and career had forced his hand when dealing with other, keeping them at a distance least they try to steal his own secrets and such like.

He returned his attention to Corbin as the human sorcerer attempted to bend his shield and while it was plain he had not practiced such frequently, he applauded the effort. " Test for weaknesses? ", this gave the mage pause for thought, thinking of how to apply his power without the risk of injuring the young man. Much of his own prowess lay in controlling the elements...yet he could give it a go. Nothing extreme.

" Very well, don't worry about getting burned. ", he chuckled slightly, " I'll be using air rather than fire...much more subtle and suitable for this. "

Ashtallion rose his right hand, he had to think for another moment as to how he could do this weaving. Over the past months he had been expanding his elemental range considerably, delving into storm, water and earth magicks....as well as maintaining his flare with fire. Frowning, barely, in concentration, Asht spun several threads of air energy, the blue strands floating gracefully all around him. He focused on them alone, excluding all other energies present. He whipped the threads into spirals around his hand, a blueish light burgeoning around it also, and what could only be described as smokey tendrils of blue sorcery extended towards Corbin, assuming the weaving was successful. Roughly a dozen of them, snaking there way, closing the space between Asht and Corbin.

" These are far from harmful....useful for binding someone temporarily though....and good for this demonstration. ", his plan was to have the tendrils of air wrap around Corbin and start probing his shield. If here was a weak spot, Asht would feel it through his extended senses and connection to his spell-weave.

Post by Guest »

Letting his head poke in to the class room. "you know if you let them wrap around his feet you might be able to hold him up side down and shake him." Falco said with a smile trying his attemet at humor. Coming in to the room though like always the smile not going to his eye's. Letting his eye's sharpen on the newcomer for just a moment they returned to almost looking dull and uncaring. How goes your studies miss". Falco asks not knowing this face. Walking in to the room giving a smile and nod of his head to Corbin. He sit's down on the pillows more then happy to watch the demonstration.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

A petite red haired girl in a simple brown robe slipped into the classroom as Ashtallion and Corbin practiced their magics. Shema flashed Corbin a shy smile and watched with interest as the binding weaves snaked forward towards Corbin.

Corbin had seen Elvin weave Aether with such speed and deftness but never had it struck at him so quickly. Like a storm of vipers the air threads struck his shield again and again ceaslessly looking for the way inside. For his part Ashtallion found the shield to be one worthy of Moore's apprentice. It was even and strong and would not breach easily. There was no weak spot but a few places were weaker than others. With time or a focused attack, they might yield to Ashtallion's magics.

"If you wished to claim this class for your own, Professor Urdil, the least you could do is challenge me for it honorably." A voice observed causticly. Standing in the doorway was a dark adhiel. He was tall and thin with jet black skin and a shaved head. His eyes were hidden behind a set of smoky gray lenses. "I believe the dueling hall is free this afternoon." He observed stretching out his hands from the sleeves of his black silk robe.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The magus merely smiled at Falco for now, concentrating on his weaving.

As his tendrils of magic wrapped around Corbin, he found the shield to be a sturdy construction and the wizard smiled, " Very commendable Corbin, a solid weaving for the most part....though a few areas could do with bolstering. Make sure the shield is even all over--", however the mage was interrupted by a voice coming from the entrance.

His golden gaze took in the small red head before turning his full attention to the dark adhiel that had entered. Ashtallion smiled lightly, though a hard edge glittered in his eyes, " And which one of us would fair the better in such a duel, Colleague? ", he had spoken before thinking properly and the retort was uncalled for.....mostly.

" No....forget I said such. ", Ashtallion had let his magicks uncoil with a wave of his hand, smokey tendrils vanishing, the threads of air dispersing into their natural state. " I make no claim. These two... ", he gestured to encompass Corbin and Anora had been waiting for someone to turn up, unsure as to whom their tutor for today was supposed to be. I was merely providing a diversion to boredom until you arrived, Professor.....", the battlemage moved away from Corbin, towards where the dark adhiel stood, no doubt watching his every move behind those smokey grey lenses.

Asht stopped as he neared the entrance, he turned back to regard Falco. " I will catch up with you later, my friend. I have a few other matters to attend to. ", he nodded and smile, a smile which still held, if tightly as he turned to look at the dark adhiel, " Might I enquire as to your name? "
Last edited by Ashtallion Urdil on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin concentrated as Asht spoke and listened as he explained the magic he was intending to do. Corbin hadn't used air before. Fire, water and to an extent earth, yes, but not air. That was definitely something that he would pay attention to. After all, fire, which was his main skill, was all well and good but it did lack a certain subtlety. As Ashtallion explained the technique and how it could bind someone Corbin realised it would be rather handy to learn such a technique - it would offer him a more measure technique and allow peaceful restraint of someone.

As the strands of energy struck him he was pleased to see his shield held up, and the tendrils of energy wrapped round him, trying to push their way through. Corbin felt the pressure, and detected weaker spots, but it was not as bad as it had been.

As Ashtallion offered his words of encouragement other people began to filter into the room, and Corbin nodded pleasantly at Shema and gestured to her to come over so he could introduce her to Anora. As he did so he watched the interaction between the dark Adhiel and Ashtallion. Corbin had only ever heard bad things about dark Adhiel's and he was rather surprised to see one as a Professor at the University. Still, he must have earned his position, and the University wouldn't have employed somebody evil. He hoped.
Anora Frollie
Rogue

Post by Anora Frollie »

Anora was spellbound watching Ashtallion and Corbin, sparing only a nod Falco's way when he addressed her. Her eyes watched, imagining what those blue little fingers could do to a wallet or purse or bracelet. Magic suddenly had captured the small girl's imagination.

At least, until the instructor arrived. There weren't enough people there to just blend in. So, she had to get out of there. But how? Suddenly, it struck her. Opening her eyes wide, she grabbed her midsection with one hand and the other over her mouth after making sure her bag was on her back. Then, standing suddenly, she made to run out of the room, as though about to be sick.
Dorothy Parker

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"I am Professor Durell." The dark adhiel said with pride. "Senior Professor of Summoning and Warding at the Magic Guild of Gulanadur and now Visiting Professor of Conjury and Warding here at the University of Magic." Durell stepped closer as Ashtallion approached. Though inches shorter, Ashtallion could feel his confidence in his own self. "When your curiosity or courage is up to the challenge, I will be ready." He promised Ashtallion.

The tense moment was broken as Anora made a break for the door and Durell stepped deftly back to let her pass. Durell stared darkly at her fleeing back. "Yet another that doesn't have the stomach for it." He observed.

Shema slipped over to Corbin's side just as Anora fled the chamber. "What's wrong with her?" She asked him.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin glanced at Anora a she grabbed at her stomach and then turned to flee the room. He looked at her with bemusement for a moment, before Shema made her way over to him and voiced the question that had been in his mind.

"I truly have no idea." He said to her, with a slight smile. "She is a new student. Maybe she was too nervous? Or perhaps she ate something that disagreed with her." He said with a slight shrug of his shoulders. He then glanced at the dark Professor. "Or perhaps our new Professor has her worried." He said, lowering his voice conspiratorially. "Senior Professor of Summoning in Gulanadur? I dread to think what sort of things they summon down there." He added, wondering what Professor Moore though of the elf's arrival. He would be sure to query that with him. Moore's opinions were always gratefully received.

Corbin watched Ashtallion and Durell's conversation with interest. It was always fun to watch friction between the Professors.
Last edited by Corbin Dillon on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Asht planted a beautific smile on his face, his paler skin and golden hair a stark contrast to the dark skinned fellow adhiel. Like night and day. "Perhaps, Professor Durell, perhaps.", he gestured to the students still within the classroom, having stepped out of the way as Anora ran from the room, he watched this with a slightly more amused expression than Durell displayed.

" We were all new once.... ", he said this under his breath but no doubt Durell would hear it, the light in the mages eyes dimmed slightly before he turned his attention to the dark adhiel once more. " No doubt we'll see each other again. ", his eyes strayed to Corbin, where he nodded and turned without another glance to Durell and strode from the room to pursue other matters.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Shema shrugged. "Must be the breakfast. Most don't want to scream until after the class has started." She smiled wryly at herself then focused more on Durell. "He must be quite skilled at warding to be senior summoner though. You don't survive as a summoner otherwise."

Durell turned back to Ashtallion with Anora already forgotten. "Oh yes, I am sure we shall meet again, Professor Urdil. Until then." Durell then moved to the front of the classroom. He paced back and forth as he talked. "Only three of you? He commented looking over Corbin, Shema, and Falco. "In Gulanadur, this class would be packed by those wishing to prove themselves worthy of an advanced class. So either you lack ambition here on the surface or you more accurately judge your abilities. Let's find out."

Durell whirled around and extended his hand. "Defend yourselves!" He commanded as a hail of spiked stones flew forth from his hand.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin smiled rakishly and chuckled at Shema's observation. He was about to offer some comment on it, but the Professor assumed his position at the head of the class. He did not seem the type to allow any frivolity in his class and so Corbin decided to maintain his silence for the moment. Corbin listened as Durell offered his opinion about the students of the UoM, a sense of indignation at this elf's assumption and apparent critique of the students here.

Yet Corbin did not have time to think on that as immediately the Professor ordered them to defend themselves and launched an attack on them. Even as he whirled around and said 'defend' Corbin was bringing his shield up as quickly as he could. He focussed on the front of his shield initially, knowing that he had little time to raise it, and knowing that that would be the first area of impact. He called forth the strings of magic that surrounded him and wove them into a tight shield in front of him. It was a hastily raised shield, and that was why he focussed first on the front, before drawing it round him to finish it. He hoped that it was sufficient to hold out the stones for they did look rather sharp.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Beside him on the Aether billowing sailcloth leapt to Shema's defense as roaring flames protected Corbin. The hail of stones impacted all over the front of the both shield shattering into a fine gray dust that pooled at the feet of the two students. A few fragments made their way beyond to rip a hole or two in their clothing but no harm came to either one.

Now that the assault was over, Corbin could see that on the Aether Professor Durell's shield was a suit of armor crafted of dark metal. The dark adhiel nodded in grudging respect. "A passing command of the basics. It shall suffice as a basis for more advanced lessons. Now then, you," Durell pointed to Corbin. "Tell me your name and whatever attempts you have made on moving beyond this basic shielding."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin was satisfied with his performance. Yes, a few of the stone fragments got through his shield, but they did not damage to him, and his clothes could be repaired easily enough. Corbin was unperturbed by the rapid assault upon him. After all, he had faced tougher things. He was pleased that he had practiced the rapid raising of his shield though - it had proven useful now.

The nod from the Professor was somewhat satisfying, and Corbin felt a sense of pleasure at having proved him wrong in his consideration o the Universities students.

"My name is Corbin Dillon." He announced. "My attempts at moving beyond this level of shielding are few. I have worked to create as far as possible, a shield without gaps. If that is what you mean then you have my answer, if it is not then I suppose you also have your answer." He said. He suspected this was not the place for idle pleasantries, and that the Professor would be none to receptive to such attempts.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Professor Durell nodded and turned to Shema. "And you?" He demanded. The young sorceress stood tall and squared her shoulders. "My name is Shema Tailor and I think I'll let my shield speak for itself."

"Well it is isn't telling me much so that makes two of you." Durell sniffed. "I will assume that both of you have at least minimal experience with the crafting of the wards. Most people weave their wards without and retain their shields as a second line of defense but it can be much more subtle and in some cases more effective to weave your wards directly into your personal shields. Examine my own." He instructed.

The suit of armor at first glance appeared completely smooth and uniform metal like their own shields. However close examination found patterns within the shield energies. Instead of a flowing sheet, Durell had forced his shield energies to weave in amongst themselves in effect hanging a spell within the shield.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”