Food for Thought (Jygust 30th, mid MT)

Moderator: Mods

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Food for Thought (Jygust 30th, mid MT)

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia had been largely silent during the short trek into town from the docks. Unfortunately, she and her companions had come to discover that there was no marketplace in Realt. Instead, the people of the small town apparently received allotted amounts of provisions from the town warehouse. To access that warehouse, they would have to "set up an account" with the "government." It was either that, or go to the Inn. Xenovia chose the latter.

She had been told that the keeper of the tavern often kept track of who had excess amounts of what things, and often these items were bartered for drinks at the inn. No doubt there would be extras. Luckily, Xenovia had some things of her own which she could trade.

Upon reaching The Only Tavern, Xenovia finally spoke again, telling Muraco and Calraen that they could either come in with her or wait outside -- but if they waited, of course, they couldn't go far. Then, she entered.

The smells of fermenting fruit and pungent cigar smoke clung to all that entered this simple one room tavern. The center was taken up by a large square bar surrounded by tall bar stools. A few roughly carved wooden tables were scattered about for those that wanted a game of cards or dice. A trapdoor in the floor behind the bar led to the cellar and the famous still that produced Sierra’s only local alcohol, a whisky fermented from wild jungle grains. The flame haired highlander behind the bar looked up from the mug he was drying and smiled. “Welcome to The Only Tavern. The usual?” He asked.

A tall, cloaked and hooded figure stepped through the door, a spear held in one gloved hand, pack, bow, and quiver on its back.

Xenovia nearly choked as she entered the tavern, her figure hunching for a brief moment as her gag reflex responded to the first breath of too-thick air. It was musty. Cramped. Small. It smelled of humans and fruit smothered in...whatever that was. Someone had been burning the wrong kind of wood in their fire, the smoke in the room was far too thick. Beneath her hood, Xenovia's eyes watered and her nose wrinkled. They breathe this?! All she wanted to do was turn around and walk right back out. The air still smelled of humans outside, but at least it was spread a bit thinner.

Yet she forced herself to keep walking, gritting her teeth and breathing as shallowly as she could, the heavy footfalls of her boots thudding against the floorboards. A few feet away from the bar she pulled her hood down a bit further, obscuring her face more. She seemed to be a man, until she finally spoke in that soft alto, trying to remain audible despite the fact that she could barely breathe.

"I am looking for provisions. Food. I am leading a group of explorers into the jungle for what will likely be a few days."
[size=84][i]"When the sun is gone I see you:
beautiful and haunting, but cold;
like the blade of a knife so sharp, so sweet --
nobody knows your heart." - Princess Mononoke[/i][/size]
Calraen
Civus

Post by Calraen »

Calraen disliked small spaces.

He would never admit it ofcourse, but he did not like them at all. Within the dreaming he could create anything his heart desired. In the Tether he had always stayed outside, under the watchful eyes of the stars and admidst the comforting sounds of trees and animals. As such, most human made buildings annoyed him. They were cramped and confined, often packed with the loathsome wretches that constructed them.

"I will remain outside." The tall Kanthrop spoke, choosing to rather stand just outside the door, his sharp ears and eyes open for any sign of trouble. After all, you never knew what mortals could do.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The tavern was largely empty at this time of day with only a few older men picking at their breakfast while starting their first hand of cards. As Xenovia moved closer to the bar a smell of roasting meat mingled with the background smells of the tavern. The bartender smelled lie his bar only more so.

The bartender blinked in surprise as Xenovia got down to business. The female voice coming from that hood was most unexpected as was the simple announcement that this stranger was leading an expedition into the jungle. Normally, Liam would slip into his usual welcome spiel but the lady seemed to be in a hurry. "Of course, of course." He nodded. "Well if you're in a hurry I've got strips of dried meat and fish and some waybread in my stores. If you are looking for fresher fare, the morning catch from the fishermen should be in soon along with the baker's loaves." Liam offered. "Will you be requiring gear as well? Rope, machetes, bug netting, that sort of thing?" He asked.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Roasting meat was a more welcome scent to her troubled nose, though it was tainted by the cigar smoke which blocked its path. Just beneath the dark rim of her hood, Xenovia could see the bartender's surprise. She almost smiled. On Ursa, Xenovia's actions were rarely met with surprise or fear; everyone was used to her there. Here... Well, the Humans were very easy to unsettle. It was a pleasant change, even if they were pitiful creatures.

"The former is acceptable. If we desire fresher fare, we will catch it ourselves." His offer of gear amused her. Machetes? Whatever those were, they sounded unnecessary. "Sir, we do not move the jungle." Here she lifted her head slightly to allow the light to slip into her hood, one brilliant golden eye staring straight at him, no white to be found surrounding it -- save for the deathly pale cheek below. "The jungle moves us."

Her head was lowered again, that strange eye disappearing quickly as she swung her pack onto the bar top with a thud. "I have both coin and items to trade." A gloved hand slipped into the pack, withdrawing again holding a famirl dyed with an attractive mix of color, though it would no doubt just look like a woven cloth belt to him. Betwixt two fingers she held a long quill, bearing the skillfully painted image of a sunset over water. "I have more, and carved combs and herbs as well if you are interested. If not, name your price."
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

Muraco followed Xenovia; a tall silent and scowling shadow. His scowl was largely unconscious and it was mostly because of the clot of humans that seemed to hover around the harbor. They smelled, they were slow, and their instincts were dulled by their rational thinking. To constantly mull over an issue or an event, it seemed a waste of time and ultimately futile. This seemed something they did often. Humans time and again were perturbed when confronted with the mannerisms of the Kanthrop. Muraco did not understand why humans did not speak what was on their minds; it was always secrets, always mincing of words. What good was dancing around an issue rather than engaging it head on? If there were a reason for him to walk up to a human and explain to them why he thought they were all vaguely sheep-like he would do it in straight speak. Rather than gaping and looking like a fish out of water, why wouldn’t one simply confront the one who made them uncomfortable and ask why they were so strange?

Before he could fathom why they acted as they did, the three of them reached the small tavern. Calraen stood to wait outside but Muraco did not want Xenovia to enter alone. So against an instinct to keep under opened skies, he followed. Immediately his nose wrinkled with the closed in smell of it all. There were no winds to cast away the cloying scent of tobacco, sweat, and...it seemed a scent of fruit and meat. Trying to pick those out of the air as he followed Xenovia to the counter kept his mind from concentrating on how claustrophobic the surroundings were. Muraco thought boats were cages...he was wrong.

Looking to the man behind the counter, he watched the man's expression as he looked at Xen. He looked more surprised at the declaration of entering the jungle than at the two of them. Muraco grinned as she spoke of the it moving them, a true hunter did not cut apart the forest to get through it. It was the way of the humans it seemed, carve a niche out of the trees and impose your will on the land. In the end, the forest would win, it would claim this place when all was gone. The white haired kit left bartering to her for the time being and looked around the tavern. There were old men and not very many at that...his slightly threatened feeling had to emanate from the closed in walls. Muraco heaved a sigh and relaxed himself...once they were under the canopy things would be quieter at least.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The bartender actually took a step backward as he saw the gold of Xenovia's eyes. Must be something to do with the mages up at the towers. Yes, that's it. Nothing to worry about. Having soothed his own rising unease at these latest patrons, he once again focused on the deal at hand. After all, is there a sweeter sound to a merchant than the words, 'Name your price.' "Let's see these herbs of yours." Liam said with interest. "I'm always looking for new medicines and tastes for my patrons. And that quill. Jamail would love that he would." Liam smiled at the thought of gifting his friend with that.

"Oh, I almost forgot to ask. Do you know if your path takes you by fresh water?" Liam asked. "We've got plenty in skins and a map of the known water sources if you're interested."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Hm, I've got him scared. Perhaps if he wants me gone, he will be more willing to give me what I want. As Liam mentioned Jamail, Xenovia's head tilted up slightly, and she glanced toward her white-haired companion (whose green eyes were nearly as strange as hers) as if for confirmation. "Jamail? Wasn't that the hu--" She seemed to catch herself before completing the 'accidental' slip of the tongue, turning back toward Liam. "The man from the Explorer's Guild? Some members of my party have gone to visit your friend."

It was a little more unintentional that those particular words said that particular way in that particular tone sounded a bit foreboding. Xenovia seemed not to notice.

"I have other quills bearing different images if he would prefer them. Wolves, forests, birds, and Muraco has some as well.." She said this almost thoughtlessly as she rummaged through her bag. Were he to watch closely, Liam might catch a glimpse of deathly pale, perhaps grey skin as her sleeve slipped up her arm and danced along the edge of her glove. "I believe I have Lavender, and Thyme..." Soon her arm re-emerged from the bag, her gloved hand clutching several different packets. "Jasmin, Rosemary, Sage, and some others."

His question gave her a brief flicker's pause.

"We have our own skins, and our own ways of finding water."
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

"I don’t know Xen, I wasn’t much listening…" Muraco sighed as the human prattled about herbs and looked at Xenovia. He grinned at her near slip and turned his gaze back to the man. Eyes the brilliant green of a tropical sea glittered with amusement…eyes that would be all that more unsettling in the visage of a wolf. In response to the bird warper Muraco shrugged and shouldered his pack to a place where he could show some of the quills he had. The first depicted a night sky full of stars and clouds. The second was a sunrise in soft pinks and glowing yellows. His final quill had a detailed full moon over water. It gave the man more to choose from, though most of his carried herbs were much the same as those Xenovia had. He arrayed them on the table for the man in case he wanted to choose any. Muraco adjusted his tunic and shuffled slightly, it would have been easy to see how unused to the clothing he was. Unlike Xenovia, whose very appearance seemed to ruffle the feathers of the skittish humans, the wolf warper would have looked normal were it not for the bone white hair. That and perhaps the queer hue of the bands that wrapped his pupils were a bit different than normal human fare.

"Do you stay in here all day?" asked Muraco looking around the room with a thinly veiled distaste, "I could never do it, I would go out of my mind. I need the wind on me, the smells of the trees and the earth under my feet."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

If he caught the slip, Liam did not show it. "Yes, Jamail is Sierra's finest scholar. If he and Julia can't answer your questions about the jungle then it is not known." He assured them.

Liam found himself frustrated yet again as Xenovia deflected his questions. After all, he could not better serve them without more information about where they were going, but they seemed determined to keep those details to themselves. All this had Liam convinced that they were onto something big. Something they did not wish to share or have taken from them. As such, he wanted them to think well of him should they return full of wealth.

"I shall trade the rations you require for whichever of these herbs you use for cooking and this quill." Liam selected the quill with the full moon. " He cocked his head to the side and considered Muraco for moment before smiling. "I can appreciate that sentiment. Back home in Dort, I tended my father's flocks and spent my days out in the fields with the mud underfoot and air scented with heather and clover. But here?" the Dortman shook his head. "If the sun isn't trying to bake you alive then the rain beats on your head like a drum and any tree you would seek shelter under likely hides an animal ready to pounce or insects set to swarm and turn you to bones." Liam grabbed a nearby shotglass and downed a shot of his homemade whiskey. "No, I'd much rather stay indoors." He said firmly.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's brow quirked as Liam offered the trade for some herbs and a quill. For some reason she had thought it would be more, but this was perfectly fine with her. She knew very little of the purpose of the other herbs, but thyme and sage were familiar flavors to her, and she had seen Kaila use them before in her cooking.

Grabbing the two packets, Xen quickly shoved everything back into her bag and pushed the herbs toward Liam, having no desire to touch him in any way. Fidgeting slightly, eager to get out of that damned room, Xenovia waited for Liam to give her his half of the trade. She listened to his words impassively, not joining the conversation. She only spoke to him when she had to, and this was now a waste of her time.

You don't mind being outside when it is easy for you, but in the face of adversity you cower indoors. Pathetic. Xenovia was in the midst of mentally scorning Liam when it suddenly occurred to her that Muraco did have a habit of talking, and she didn't exactly want to stand there and chat...

"We're in a bit of a hurry," she said simply and a bit sharply, not bothering with anything as trivial as saying if you don't mind. Because really, she didn't care if he minded or not.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"The jungle isn't going anywhere." Liam assured her with a chuckle. Liam did take a few more herb packets from Muraco's supplies and then considered himself well payed. Aside from sea salt, there wasn't much to season their food with so those herbs were doubly precious here.

Despite his jape at her urgency, Liam did turn from them and clomped down into his cellar to get their supplies. While they waited, the two warpers began to notice that one of the old men playing cards seemed to be paying more attention to them that to the cards in his hand. He never looked at them but he held himself like a hunter listening for the rustle of his prey.

Liam clomped back up the stairs with four packages of sackcloth. The pleasant smell of smoked meat came from three of them while the forth smelled of fruit and grain. "There you go. I hope it serves you well." Liam wished. "Should you need anything else, The Only Tavern will look forward to your return." The usual farewell was rattled off glibly but the merchant in Liam meant it even if the Dortman would be glad to see the back of them for the moment.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia scowled visibly at Liam's jest at her desire for haste, her dark lips turning downward on their canvas of white. She watched irritably now as he took a few more herbs from Muraco's pack -- and it was just as well, for she might have struck at him had he reached toward hers. Seasoning for food was hardly necessary for a Kanthrop. Food was food, and Xenovia herself much preferred the natural flavors over any sort of herbs or the like, so she cared little for the ones he chose. Regardless, she was tired of being in this small, confined room, with its stale air and assortment of foreign and stomach-turning scents.

Her unseen eyes followed Liam until he disappeared, and then began to dart here and there as they were wont to do. Up, down, right, right again, left, down, to Muraco, past Muraco, to a pair of boots similar to hers, to the wall, to --

Past Muraco. It took a flicker for her thoughts to catch up, so rapid was the switching of her gaze, but there was no mistaking it. One of the elders holding several strange little rectangles with symbols on them was noticeably tense. Just to make sure, Xenovia's gaze shot around the room again. No, none of the other elders were sitting like that. He instantly became a greater threat than any other in the room.

The scowl on her face deepened, and Xenovia looked about to make sure no one was looking in their direction. Then, lifting her head, Xenovia looked pointedly at Muraco, her golden eyes trying to convey a message. They darted to the old man, then back, and she gestured swiftly and discreetly, her finger seeming to carry itself along one fluid line, though she pointed to three things: first one tap to her temple, then to the man, then a light tap to her nose. Her finger then fell quickly away from her nose, as if she had simply been scratching it. Hopefully Muraco would catch the message, for his sense of smell was much keener than hers -- though she wasn't sure he would be able to catch that one through the haze of scents.

Liam arrived shortly after she finished her silent message, and Xenovia was inwardly pleased with the trade. She nodded faintly at Liam's words and took two of the sackcloths, gesturing to Muraco to take the other two. She remained aware of that elder the whole time, however, her unseen eyes routinely darting back to him, watching for a shift in his muscles. Spear still in hand, she murmured a cold "goodbye" and turned to exit the tavern, hoping to find Calraen still waiting outside. Should she make it to the door without incident, the first sound heard from her would be a sharp inhalation of air; even if it wasn't entirely fresh, it was exponentially better tasting in her lungs than the haze of sterility which lingered in that tavern.

"Fuck." That would come on the exhale, the word barely slipping past her lips before she inhaled deeply again. Ugh, my throat feels as if it is coated with honey gathered from the inside of a bear's stomach...
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Calraen
Civus

Post by Calraen »

Calraen still stood outside, waiting for the two kanthrop to exit the inn. He was a patient being by nature, being draconic, though not by heart. He had a temper and was always quick to lose his cool in the face of adversity, compared to his brother and sister at least.

His age had stretched the boundaries of his patience however. To him it had only been a flicker for Xenovia and Muraco to enter and leave the inn. He watched as Xenovia left the building and heard her one word comment. Her aura did not reveal anything particularly troubling. She did not seem angry or frightened, though her alertness and suspicion seemed triggered for some reason. He saw no need to pry.

"I trust you obtained the provisions you needed?"
Last edited by Calraen on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

Muraco shrugged in reply to Liam’s statement. It was the quintessential response he expected from a human and one that that strangely he found himself partially agreeing with. Even to one used to the winds and rains, waters and forests there were times when it was too much. The wolf kit hoped to never reach that point in his thinking. Even so, a tent was the most he could confine himself in without feeling caged and even the walls of a tent were easily shorn with a blade. A wall made of wood was too tough to break, and if the door was blocked...Muraco shuddered at being trapped in a wooden human building. Liam made his decisions and took things from both he and Xenovia. The white haired man was ready to leave as well and generally restless just standing around. He shoved those things not grabbed back into his pack. When Liam went to retrieve their rations Muraco turned to lean on the bar. As much as he had found himself looking around the room, Muraco had noticed the tense old man though he did not give an outward cue. The wolf kit was not sure what made this older man act in this manner. Truthfully, he would be fine with not finding out at all. Nervous, tense men made rash decisions and who knew the intent behind his demeanor.

Xenovia gave him a look that he generally understood. Her gestures cemented his belief that she was referring to the old man. The wolf Kanthrop gave a single nod in reply and with his nose he tried to hone in on the scent of the old man. To sift the muddle of scent; tobacco, stale sweat, the underlying meat and fermenting fruit was his intent. Muraco tried to align his thoughts with that of the hunting wolf in him to scent him out and commit it to memory in case he tried to follow. He visualized himself in the shadows of the wood, the thick pads of his paws muffling his approach. Each sound crystalline in clarity, each smell vivid and distinguishable from the next, and the very world lain bare. The wolf in his mind turned his snout to the air to inhale deeply, visualizing the old man as his quarry, one that he was hunting. The world was a tapestry of scents, each one a different colored thread in its woven pattern. With concentration he could do it, he was sure of it. Now the reality of this remained to be seen for Muraco’s expectations sometimes shared real estate with the very stars in the sky. In his mind however this should be simple.

The Kanthrop focused on Liam with his eyes as he returned. It seemed that the human was as ready for them to leave as they were even though his gilded words suggested otherwise. The white haired warper inclined his head and gave half of a smile to Liam in a curt farewell. Muraco also readied himself mentally for a fight should one come their way. Grabbing the cloths with provisions he fell into step to the side of Xenovia that was exposed to the man. A knife was on his side, able to be quickly brandished against a foe. Out of his peripheral vision he watched the human that seemed like a hunter until he was unable. The tall hunter wanted to leave and it was not something that had just occurred to him. They did not need a conflict in a human building. There were too many unknown variables and too much chance for the skittish humans to make foolish mistakes. Muraco was aware that he was not a master hunter or warrior as well so someone skilled could be dangerous to both he and Xenovia. Muraco could almost feel the air as they made for the door; he had not known how much he wanted out of the building.

"Let us go, the scent of them makes my head ache and my stomach turn," mused Muraco.
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia breathed in and out deeply once more before her scowl deepened and she shifted her belongings to a more comfortable position. With an almost thoughtless touch to one tip of the Bane, Xenovia nodded at the words of both Calraen and Muraco and glanced over her shoulder.

"To the Explorer's Guild, then. Perhaps they have discovered something by now." Then, more softly, "Be alert, one of the humans in there was listening to us."

Then she was off, her long strides carrying her in the direction of the Guild. She didn't seem too keen on discussing it -- but then again, when did she ever feel like having a nice chat?
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

It was but a short walk over to the Explorer's Guild. There was no sign of Scarlet nor Kytani as they approached it. Calraen followed Xenovia, not saying much. He did cast an occasional glance behind him after her news of someone potentially showing more than a casual interest in their presence.

As they came up to the Guild house, Calraen stopped in front of the door. "I will remain outside if you wish to enter." Nothing in his voice betrayed his true feeling of horror for the confinement he thought to find within those walls. It came out quite plain, but his posture gave away a determination not befitting a creature of power.

Once inside, Scarlet and Kytani could be found talking to a young man who seemed slightly uncomfortable. To Muraco he would smell somewhere between aroused and anxious.

OOC: Xen has already posted in the thread with Scarlet already. We can pick it up there if you guys like.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread skilled.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”