PI/UE: Into the Glimmer - Sam 27th (Tradetide) - Open

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

PI/UE: Into the Glimmer - Sam 27th (Tradetide) - Open

Post by Brytan »

Samheen 27th - Tradetide

some marks before:
Kiala tended to Catherine with her own motherly way, splinting it with the help of Niamh before she moved off, finishing the task on her own with little effort. It hurted to move the arm, but the bleeding had stopped. "You'll be okay now dear, try not to move that arm too much for now." She looked over to the edge of the woods as some voices rose. "Seems Petran has returned dear." Indeed, Petran had returned. Still in his panther form he was...running from something?

A dire shape chased the kanthan into the torn village. A visage of terror and pain, terrible cries arising from it under the shade of the trees. As it broke free from the shadow of Gnilwoh, and hit the sunlight which was at it's brightest it screamed in terror and agony and seemed to vanish into thin air, almost as if it had never existed. Petran was exhausted and laid himself on the ground.

It had been marks since the collapse and the Kanthrop village was in a state of mourning. The hunters had returned from their searches and brought back the last remaining dead or injured. Petran was joined by Oni and their own as they convened a meeting in what remained of the town square.

"...Something evil. I tell you it is not natural!" The voice of Petran raised high above the gathered crowd of those able to stand and walk. "The woods are darker than ever, That thing..." he pointed at the ragged peak which had emerged in the center of the once tranquil forest "...is not of this world. There are things, creatures there which I have never before seen or heard of. I'm not even sure how to fight them."

"They can not be fought."

The voice was a familiar one. And all eyes turned to see the shaman of the village standing at the edge of the square, leaning heavily on his staff.

"They are things of an ancient and dark past, a secret only known to a few besides the Dreamweavers and hidden in darkness for many tides." Voices raised in the crowd, questioning this strange tale. Those who had witnessed the dread creature emerge after Petran from Gnilwoh Forest were terrified and some started to cry for everything that happened in the past two tides.

"Everything can be fought. Don't presume us feeble and weak like yourself old man!" Petran was furious, his eyes burned with the fire of hatred and pain. He had lost some close friends in the crash and Analor Goldenback, their leader, was also still missing.

"Only the words of the Dreamweaver can guide us, and only those chosen to be spoken to will be able to show us the way. I've sought them out, I've been trying to reach them for many marks but they are silent to me."

Another voice rose from the crowd. "And what about Skymyst? What of the island? I hear the Eye of the Steelclaw tribe is dead, and Tilar of the Wavetalons comes back to tell of another island beyond the mountain ranges where once only air surrounded us. We need to investigate, see what is out there."

"We are set upon from all sides, we are doomed, doomed."
"Oh shut up you old bat."
"You shut up."

"SILENCE!!!" Bickering will get us no where. We must find out what is going on. We are no longer isolated it seems so we'll have to build our defenses. Against foes from without, and apparently from a strong foe within. Who will volunteer to these tasks?
Last edited by Brytan on Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Niamh Windwalker
Civus

Post by Niamh Windwalker »

The young kanthrop – no longer a kit after the dangers she had witnessed – watched and listened to the heated debate below, a general ache seeming to blanket the limbs that had finally ceased movement. Legs crossed, she perched on a higher pile of rubble, the weary, weepy crowd too oppressive for her to mingle. Petran the puny-minded, she snorted, uncomfortable with his attack of the Shaman’s words, despite a vague agreement with the sentiment. Niamh felt a healthy respect for the Shaman, who’s own calm response to her many kitish escapades has more effect than the punishments often meted out by the other kanthrop in authority over her.

Not having witnessed the shade which others cried out in fear of, a touch of impatience furrowed her brow. Surely with everything that has already happened this day, strange creatures should be the least of our problems. Something sobering had touched the impudent female, perhaps it had been the silent faces she had passed over, eyes closed in that last, dreamless sleep. Perhaps It had been loss of home and friend – she had yet to see Eido or Ardal. Thinking back to the way they had drawn her back from the cliff’s brink.. was it just thismorn?, she wished there were some way she could return the favor. Shying away from such serious thoughts, the silent kanthrop turned her attention back to the argument below.

"SILENCE!!!" Bickering will get us no where. We must find out what is going on. We are no longer isolated it seems so we'll have to build our defenses. Against foes from without, and apparently from a strong foe within. Who will volunteer to these tasks?

In the silence following the Shaman’s request, Niamh felt a stir in her breast, the animal spirit impatient with her inactivity. Fight, battle, hunt... and with a painful unwinding of sore limbs, she let out a loudly amused, exaggerated sigh, a small flicker of pleasure flittering through her mind as she realized the advantage of height. She stood slightly apart from the crowd on a pile of rubble, one foot balanced on a plank of wood and the other on an oversized rock.

“Come now, I know I’ve caused some trouble, but labeling me the foe from within...” she shook her head abruptly, a faint laugh echoing the words. Even Niamh, carefree as she normally was, could not conjure up stronger amusement. “But in an effort to halve your difficulties, I would be honored to set myself against the enemy without! Whoever is responsible should beware their undergarments, for I foresee...” she lifted her fingers to her temple as if graced with foresight. “itching powder in the very near future.” Though she had never admitted to it before, she had used such on many of her fellow villagers in the past, leaving them somewhat miserable for days as they sought to avoid notice of their nether places’ irritations.

With a gentle hop and careful balance, she slid the rock down the rubble, leaping free from it at the last moment as she approached the shaman, her black pupils wide and clear as she faced him squarely and soberly, her voice now absent of the humor of moments before. Less than 12 marks before she had been snickering around the morning cookpot, now, though the spirit that defined her had not been changed, it had been tempered by her experiences.

“I would do something, if you’ll have me.” And even if you don’t, I’ll find something of my own to do. The older kanthrop would likely read the unspoken words in her stubborn face, which, upon close study, revealed much of her own fear and anger by the flattening of lips and the nibbling on the inside of a cheek.
Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

Many things had happened since the crash. Endless marks of small, irritating things that caused pain for many, and large, annoying things that brought grief under their wings. Not all Kanthrops had returned, and there was good chance that some won't.

Most of the scouts have returned, and Oni and Petran were trying to make the best of what they knew. Eidolon moved closer, straining his ears to distinguish words in the angry mumble of voices.

Petran's attack of the shaman had a great impact of him. He shuddered and stopped, confused. Surely the Kanthan couldn't mean this? He had almost accused the shaman of lying. Instinctively, Eidolon pushed his way to the centre of the square. He wanted to stand up for the shaman - and to offer his help.

Before he could reach clear ground though, a pebble rolled down a nearby pile of rubble and hit him knee. Startled, Eidolon looked up, just in time to hear Niamh's words. A broad smile spilled across his face; the kit tried to hide it, but couldn't very well manage it from seeping through. His friend, co-prankster and partner in crime had survived!

"Public enemy number one," he hissed, grinning, as Niamh slid down the pile.

"I have faith in the shaman's words," Eidolon stepped forward, Niamh's volunteering reminding him of what he had intended to do before. He stood next to the young woman, heart beating fast both from the gravity of the situation and from the excitement of finding Niamh well and alive. "With the Dreamweavers' guide, we can think of a way to take care of these spirits. Until they are reached, though, I'll gladly help with the wraiths."

He glanced sideways at Petran. The black panther was representing Realistic views in this debate. He wanted to act without delay. However, Eidolon believed in the old legends of his tribe, and he was confident the wise Children of the Dragon would not leave them alone.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The shaman looked down at Niamh and Eidolon, standing at an imposing length which made him an imposing visage to behold by any tribes' member. There were mutters in the crowd about the impetuant youths rashness.

"Silly kit, gonna get themselves killed they will."
"Be silent old man, I don't see you going up there."

Several others stood behind Niamh and Eidolon, yet they did not speak for when they wanted to declare their intentions the shaman raised his hand in silence, as he started a slow pace around the two youths.

"Of all the warriors in this tribe, it is these two who stand before me first. Not even Awakened and already they display courage worthy of the most aclaimed among us." He was now at their backs, speaking as much to the crowd as to the two. "Or is it foolishness which drives these two? Our trials were never as rigid as anything they might face now. New enemies await us beyond the Skymyst and the dark bark of Gnilwoh. Do you really think you have what it takes?"

He was now before them again, looking them directly in the eyes, words spoken in a whisper now so only they could hear. "Your trials weren't meant to start like this. Analor is missing still as the day grows old. Be certain when you speak next."

"Will you wake from the sleep of the races?!"

These words sounded over the crowd, silencing all voices in it. The traditional sentence, old as anyone could remember now spoken over two of five, but just as meaningfull to those not yet before the wise old man. "Will you wake and fight the daylight nightmares you bring with you from beyond the Tether?"
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Niamh Windwalker
Civus

"Public enemy number one," he hissed, grinning, as Niamh slid down the pile.

Niamh's forced amusement brightened with a flash of true delight, her teeth baring in a flickering grin. "Partner in crime..." she hissed back agreeably as she schooled her features to face the Elder. The shock of finally seeing Eidolon comforted a part of the emptiness she felt at the destruction of so much.

"Do you really think you have what it takes?"

There was an almost indignant tilt to her long nose, as she lifted her eyes to stare back at the shaman, almost defiant, as she twisted her brief uncertainty into a small coil at the back of her mind. It quivered there, spring-like, before fading into an obscure thought followed only by silence.

"Will you wake from the sleep of the races?!"

A chilling thrill at those words coursed along her limbs, prickling goosebumps which her fingers itched to calm. Yet she called out with the fire of impetuous youth, and the vague courage of an untried heart to his final question.

"Gladly...!" She was aware of Eidolon standing beside her, knowing him to be a companion in all ways important, her ears pricking for his own response though she dared not look away from the Shaman and his challenge. Knowing she was not alone gave firmness to what might have been somewhat cautious elsewise.
Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

No one could say Eidolon's mind wasn't open. Yet it was perhaps open to such an extent that it made its owner naive. Pair that up with a wild imagination and you have trouble. The kit was positive he could (and would) stand up to the secrets of the forests, and the scary unknown of the Outlands. Yet somewhere in the turmoil of his thoughts, he couldn't help hoping that one day a bard would sing a ballad about his courageous deeds.

Ashamed of such a vain idea, Eidolon's cheeks went slightly red. However, he gathered that it was better than a different approach, such as "everyone will have to help out sooner or later". Such thoughts, in the least, had no place in the kit's mind. He looked up into the shaman's eyes (for although the youngster was tall, he couldn't possibly match the height of the elder Kanthrop), and nodded. Firmly.

"Will you wake from the sleep of the races? Will you wake and fight the daylight nightmares you bring with you from beyond the Tether?"

The traditional lore, the sayings, the magic words that mark each Awakening ritual. Even though, as the shaman had said, their trials were supposed to go about differently, they weren't about to be cheated out of them.

"Yes, I will." Wake me, and I'll kill an eight-headed caterpillar larger than the oldest tree in Gnilwoh with bare hands. Naturally, he kept the second part to himself. The elders had a knack for taking some jokes seriously.

He kept his gaze fixed on the Shaman, but brushed lightly against Niamh's elbow with his fingers. She was still there, a certainty in the times of unrest. For a moment, Eidolon was flashed back into one of the many times when the two of them had been told off for some prank in front of the whole village. The situation was remarkably similar, except they weren't being hit 'round the ears by large, hard paws... yet.

Eidolon's fingers gently squeezed Niamh's wrist.

What have we gotten ourselves into NOW?
Last edited by Eidolon Myrlin on Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: I'll offer one more chance to jump in at this time junction before moving on to the 28th. Niamh and Eidolon feel free to continue in the Trials and Tribulations thread or create your own thread on the 28th if you choose to separate.

The crowd behind the two kit had been silent after the shaman's challenge. Only once in their lives had a Festival been held, so the present kit held only faint memory of how it was supposed to go. Burning sconces and braziers lighting the Festival Grounds, marking the pillars which sided the altar of the Elders. The stars would shine bright overhead, clearly visible without the cloudcover which plagued the lower lands of which the island was now a part.

No less were the cheers of the crowd as the two accepted the shaman's challenge. But with a motion of his hand they were told to be still once again.

Gannas Hawkeye was in his element. For yahren had he been the spiritual leader of the tribe and in his day he had seen many kit undertake the challenge of Awakening. This was a day marked in history, by the strange occurances of the past tides. But also because another festival was about to commence. With or without the threats that lay in wait.

"These kit are sleeping and choose to be Awakened. But before that may pass they must first look deep within to find the threat without. A sleeper can not Awaken until his own dreams are revealed to himself, until his path is clear. But before we set these two upon the path out of their limited existance, are there any that would accompany them beyond the care of their Kanthan?"

Niamh Windwalker
Civus

"Yes, I will."

Something of Eidolon's words caused Niamh to cast her eyes slightly in his direction, the yellow-rimmed black orbs acknowledging something similar to his thoughts. Awoken, us two shall make our unknown enemies tremble in fear... An intense satisfaction accompanied her companion's brief touch. The greatest kanthrops of the village had quivered before the two of them.... in rage, but still... Niamh had found comfort and strength in knowing someone shared in those experiences.

The light touch of fingertips on her wrist revealed the gentle pulsing tick of a quickly thrumming heart-beat, revealing perhaps, that Eidolon was not alone in such questions...

The shaman's voice chilled her, momentarily. and her eyes cast themselves backwards, head curving over her left shoulder, past Eidolon, as she sought the other Kit. Where are the others? If any, I know Catherine ought to be here... She had not seen Ardal since her failed hunting foray. Not wanting to voice her worries at the other kit missing the ritual, she refocused her eyes upon the Shaman, ready for further instruction. Her fingers twitched, eager for what was to come, but grateful for the reminder of Eido's presence through his loose grasp of her wrist.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The shaman looked around, but as it remained silent he turned to the two before him. "Then your path shall be revealed. In dreams you will walk to face what you must, to become what you will and to see your true path. In the Tether you will progress through hardship and loss, until you are truly one where once there were two."

He reached into a pouch and took something out, then raised his hands in an arch, trailing light or so it appeared, drifiting off as quickly as it appeared into the air. It was still a bit too early for it to have it's full effect, but the gesture was evident. "Tomorrow your path shall be clear. Take your time to reflect on what you once knew, for all that will change soon."

Oni stepped forth as the crowd cheered. The festival had begun, regardless of the danger ahead. Everyone took hope in this gesture and the shaman felt confident that his people would stand and grasp this sign of consistency and fight. "They'll have to, I feel danger coming."

"As Kanthan it has been my job to train the young. Now to see that two are ready to face the world alone brings me great joy." Oni spoke with a smile on her face, yet her voice betrayed that she aswell felt that these times would be dangerous. "I had prepared a trial worthy of these two, yet now I'm not so sure it will be fitting, seeing what our people will possibly face. It is hard enough to find yourself when everyone else knows who and where they are. Now our people is displaced and we all face new challenges."

A wave of nods and muffled agreements went through the gathered Kanthrop. "The day is growing old, and many words have been spilled over time. Tomorrow will be a day of action. Three tasks await our people, not just these two who are coming of age. We must find our leader, Analor, who has been missing for several tides now. We must secure our home from invaders and tend to the sick. And we must find what threatens us and guard ourselves against this threat."

Petran stepped forth. "Enough talk. You will need to find yourselves and tradition teaches us that this can only be done in the face of grave peril. You must choose the path you deem most dangerous and travel it, only then by blood and fear will you Awaken. So what will it be? Where do you stand?"
Last edited by Brytan on Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

A grin passed over Eidolon's face as the trail of light shone into his eyes. He let go of Niamh's arm and raised both hands to his face, cupping them above his eyebrows. He strained to watch the glittering sparkles as long as he could, before they winked out and disappeared. That's it. The trials had officially began.

He wasn't about to complain, but... Where were the others? A glance around, revealing none of the kits. There was nothing he could do.

His grin relaxed into a smile as Oni stepped forward. Nevertheless, Eidolon still felt somewhat shifty. Both his mentor and Hawkeye had mentioned various dangers that lay ahead. They didn't go into any details. Eidolon could see nothing in the future, no point he could hang onto. Maybe it would have been a bit simpler if they had just told us to go fifty yards into the Gnilwoh and smite the thing we find there, he grumbled silently to himself.

He sought Petran as the Kanthrop voiced his question. The question. There were beginning to be quite many "the" questions, in Eidolon's opinion. He had chosen already, anyway. The ghosts were stuck in his head.

"It seems more foolish than courageous, but I will walk the paths of Gnilwoh. Even now, new dangers from the Outside world could be prowling in the shadows, and I doubt that grave peril will take long to preset itself to me," he said, facing Petran. "What more, if I find my way back, we'll have at least some idea as to what to look out for."
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"A brave choice. One fitting as a trial I would think. Ofcourse this will require more than just a single hand to work with. I'd ask you, once festivities are thoroughly celebrated..."

Cheers arose from around the fire circle...

"...to go and do a preliminary scout of the forests' edge. Don't venture into danger or too far from the village. Just try to get a feel for the place, attune yourself with your surroundings so when we send you out with the hunters you'll know at least something of what you're getting into."

What Petran suggested was common for the hunter pack. Before venturing into new lands they would meditate on the land, feel the spirits around them to, in a way, feel into nature. Petran being the hunter he was had trained his kit in these ways. Oni was a scout who looked over the land, rather than walked in it. And as she had been primarily concerned with Eidolon's education this method was taught to him, but never much required as Oni's teachings focussed more on the observation of the senses rather than attunement of the mind.

Still, these were worries to be thought of later. People needed a break from their worries and so what rations and supplies had been salvaged were being brought out and a fire was being properly lit. It was still the kanthrop Festival of Awakening and no one would stop them from having a proper party.

___

"Look at the foolish kit. They do not know what awaits them..."

In the undergrowth near the forests' edge a few leaves rustled in the wind.

Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

"Maybe I should have opted to make an air-map of the new surroundings instead," Eidolon whispered to Niamh. However, he didn't mean it. He was proud as ever to stand here, in front of the whole village, while an important task was being bestowed upon his shoulders. It tickled his ego, if nothing more. Right here and right now, the kit was ready to undertake all the dangers of the world.

"Mission accepted," he grinned, the solemn stare of his eyes trickling away. He postitively beamed at the grave elders. The silent circle of the villagers jittered and burst into life, everyone carrying in food. Someone re-lit the fire, and he flames jumped joyfully into the air.

Eidolon was elated. He twisted through the crowd, smiling and ocasionally exchanging a word with someone else. He would start his task tomorrow - after all, Petran had said "after the festivities are celebrated", which Eidolon promptly translated into "early morning". He grabbed a wooden mug of ale from a nearby tray and looked around, hoping to find Kaila.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

For a people struck by terrible tragedy, the kanthrop proved to be very resilient. Perhaps they had to be to keep some measure of sanity, but as the tradetide progressed into eveningtide people thought less and less about the collapse and more about what was to come. The nigh initiation of the fledgeling kit was a hot topic of discussion, aswell as the alternative trials to be held.

Eidolon and any other kit who chose to hang around were flooded with questions and praise. It was almost impossible to set one step in front of the other without one of them being drawn into a group of chatting Owls or cornered by the young children who were eager to hear everything about the brave mission.

Eidolon was tackled a few times by Tarryn and Kama, two youngsters who were eager to demonstrate their prowess at smashing "evil ghost thingies" with their twig staves. Kaila was yet to be spotted.

"Nice adventure you'll be going on. Hope you're proud of yourself."

Culwago had stepped out from a group, holding two cups of honey mead, handing one to Eidolon. "I'll be exploring the northern Skymyst with the hunters tomorrow. Now that I'm Awake Petran thought it time for me to join in on a real mission." His eyes betrayed something that resembled pity and his voice was laced with sarcasm. "I don't see Niamh around anywhere, poor kid must have gotten scared after what she saw, weak heart that one."

Eidolon couldn't put his finger on it, but Culwago sounded...different somehow.

Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

"Ouch, you guys are sure good! Every monster should run away from you with its tail between its legs!"

"Naturally, Shaman Hawkeye, I am scared somewhat... But I know I will overcome fear. It's -"

"Look, imagine those big white monsters the size of six huts placed atop each other, with claws and great big teeth - and I'll shoot them full of arrows and they'll slither to the ground like giant white blobs, pus filling the entire area around them... Hey, don't snicker, I really will!"

These are just a few of the comments and jokes Eidolon uttered while he was busy drinking mead and laughing with the others. He was just about to go and refill his cup when Culwago's voice and arm jerked him out of the bustle of the village people.

"Thanks," Eidolon mumbled, accepting the cup. He didn't bring it to his lips, though, cradling it in his fingers instead. He wasn't very well acquainted with Culwago at the best of times, and from the panther-warper's tone, this wasn't one of them anyway.

"Excuse me?" he cut into Culwago's words with the greatest amount of incredulity he could muster. "Listen, you'd better keep that tone to yourself, and don't you go 'round teasing Niamh. She's got her own reasons, as have the others."

His voice was sharp - mostly because the Kanthrop's words sprayed salt over a hidden wound. Culwago was right, the others weren't here when they were supposed to. And no reason, however grave, is important enough to miss out on one's Awakening. However, Eidolon kept these thoughts to himself.

"What do you mean, 'Awakened'?" he asked as the other words trickled into his brain. He demonstratively lay the cup onto an upturned wooden pail without touching a drop of the mead inside. "You're not going to Awake until tomorrow, if I'm correct. Anyway, where were you when we were standing out there in front of the crowd?"

Eidolon usually wasn't so aggressive. However, there was something odd about the panther-warper. The kit couldn't place his finger on it... but it was there, lingering at the edge of his vision. He didn't like it one bit.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Culwago let out a short burst laugh at Eidolon's defense of the other kit, aswell as smiling broadly at his question about the Awakening.

"Apparently I'm a little bit ahead of you then. I Awoke this afternoon after the collapse. Something knocked me out and next thing I remember I'm at the inn prowling around in panther form after having had this crazy dream. Seems the really great hunters don't need childish trials before they are deemed fit for the Awakening."

His voice was filled with self-contentment and boastfull ego. His eyes in the meantime glanced around with an almost evil gaze, like a prowling beast on the lookout for easy prey.

Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

"Culwago," Eidolon said stiffly, folding his arms on his chest. "You sound like one big bully, but, by Ursa, if you think you'll unhinge me with bad-boy talk, you've got it all wrong. I'm inclined to think that rather than you being a great hunter, something interfered with your Awakening. It's gone wrong - and it's just a question of time before you realize which bit is missing. Maybe you're only able to shift for a few burns, or perhaps one of your senses is blocked. It's ridiculous to think you could just go poof! and Awaken properly without any preparation."

The nasty, big-headed kit! What's he talking about? Eidolon glared at him through narrowed eyes, wondering where the pieces didn't fit together. Culwago was never much of a talker, but to be so openly egoistic, so... evil... well, that had never happened before. Kanthrops were not evil.

A memory flicked through Eidolon's mind, a long-forgotten story of another early-Awaker. He winced, trying to remember the details. The animal involved was a wolf - the spirit warped into the shape of the wolf he was meant to become had he Awakened, speed unlike anything the shaman had seen in such a young kit. Fragments of the tale began to resurface in Eidolon's mind. There was a young kit, that almost died, but somehow survived...? No, no, that's wrong. Its spirit was severed from its body and disappeared.

Eidolon remembered the story fully now. He looked at Culwago uncertainly. The panther-warper definitely had no shimmering glow about him, nor was he ghost-like.

However, a seed of doubt had been planted in Eidolon's mind.

"What was that odd dream about, anyway?" he ventured into the investigation.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

A laugh.

"Nothing went wrong. In fact, the world makes more sense now then ever. I see everything more clearly and if that makes me a bully, then perhaps that's what it is."

He sipped a bit from a cup he held in his left hand.

"Oh, and now you want me to confide my dreams to you aswell? If I'm nothing but a bully, what interest are they to you? No, I have better things to do. You have your little celebration, I'm off to see if my things are still where I left them. Someone really should clean up this mess..."

And with that he turned around and made his way through the crowd, out of sight from Eidolon and the other kanthrop who were getting well underway in their celebration.

Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

"You're just using it as an excuse for being nasty," Eidolon snarled. He glared at the departing Kanthrop, the large balloon that had swollen up inside him suddenly popping. He couldn't feel at ease at the celebration any more, not after this encounter.

Where was Culwago off to anyway? What did he mean by "clearing up the mess"? Eidolon decided to give it one more try. Keeping in the crowd, trying to look as inconspicuous as possible, he stole after the panther-warper. In order to broaden his camouflage, he picked up yet another cup of mead (though different from the one Culwago had offered) and smiled and nodded at the others. He even thought about whistling and joining his hands behind his back, but... that would be so "inconspicuous" he would attract many a strange glance.

The chance that Culwago wouldn't notice he was being followed was very slim, but Eidolon did his best to keep him in sight for as long as possible.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

As long as they remained in the vicinity of the crowd around the fire, Eidolon had little trouble making his movements less than conspicuous to the panther shifter. It was easy enough to strike up a quick conversation with anyone at random, or pretend to laugh at someone's joke, which never had taken place.

As soon as they moved away from the crowd though, it became harder. Culwago wasn't expecting anyone to follow him. As much was obvious by the sheer negligence he displayed in the way he walked. Casually strolling through the town as if he owned the place. Something in his stride was odd though. As if he had the tendency to lean forward more than a man should, almost like he preferred walking on all fours but held back to maintain upright posure.

There were few spots to hide, so Eidolon had to maintain proper distance to have any chance of not being noticed, which made it increasingly difficult to see what Culwago was up to. At a certain point though, the newly awakened shifter stopped at a torn down tent, completely flattened by the collapse. The poles were snapped and lay strewn on the floor, covered by the remnants of the leather exterior cladding. Culwago crouched down and started digging among the remains, searching for something apparently. It was hard to tell what he was looking for, and whenever he stopped a moment to investigate something, or put something in a small satchel he was carrying Eidolon could never properly see from this distance what it was he took.

"What are you doing Eidolon? Ooh, spying on Culwago are you? Can we play, can we play?"

The whisper entered his left ear from somewhere very close by. Tarryn and Kama had followed Eidolon in turn and were now crouched down next to him, observing what he was observing.

Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

"Shhh, guys!" Eidolon hissed, flinging out his arms and dragging the two youngsters behind a pile of rubble. He was crouching there already himself, hidden from view, and now the three squeezed together in the narrow space.

"I can never get away from the two of you, young hunters," he grinned, whispering. "Yep - I'm wondering what Culwago's up to."

The figure of the Kanthrop was visible in the falling dusk, as he bent forwards and placed a few objects in his satchel. Eidolon strained his eyes, but he couldn't make out any details.

This is odd, a strange thought entered his mind. I almost feel as if I should be scared of him.

However, he had to figure out a way to discover what Culwago was doing. Moving closer was - for now, at least - out of question. He would be spotted for sure, and would have to stand against the panther's wrath. Yet - what if someone else happened to surprise Culwago? An Owl, or a small kit.

Small kit.

"Tarryn, Kama," Eidolon whispered, his eyes twinkling in the appreciation of his new idea. "Do you still want to play spies? I'll give you a mission: Get a better look at what Culwago's putting into his bag. Just run over there, pretending you're playing or play-fighting, have a look, and then come back. And if you want to do it like really good spies, come back inconspiquously, like taking a different path or something. Are you up for it?"
Last edited by Eidolon Myrlin on Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Ooh, a mission! Is that like a trial?"

"A real trial, cool. Dibs on the lead!"

"No way you get dibs, I always lead."

"Exactly, my turn then."

"No it's not."

"Yes it is."

And off they went. It was hard to tell if the two were fighting and arguing for real or if they were faking the whole thing, which was probably for the best. They came out of their hiding place, shouting and yelling as they ran towards Culwago, tumbling over each other, clawing at clothes and hair.

"You always lead, no fair!"

"Silent you magpie, I'm oldest!"

Tarryn's impression of a Hooter was perfect. As they bickered and fought they rolled into Culwago who had turned to look their way, was too late however to dodge them and got swept off his feet and tumbled down onto the ground.

"Watch where you're going!" Culwago got up quickly and pulled the two magpies apart. "Can't you see I'm busy? Go fight somewhere else you two."
Tarryn and Kama turned all silent and docile as Culwago ranted on a bit about respect for their elders and such, Kama looking in Eidolon's direction only briefly. A wink.

"Now get lost!"

Tarryn and Kama rushed off, away from Eidolon like they had been instructed. It took a few burns before the two crept up behind Eidolon again, their feline eyes glinting in the light of the small fires now being lit around the destroyed camp.

"Clothes, bow, arrows, food, waterskin, tinderbox, knife."

Tarryn rattled down the list of items, having memorised it quickly, as if having been repeating it over and over in her head for the past few marks.

"Let's do it again, that was fun!"

Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

"Good job!" Eidolon praised, keeping his voice down. He patted both younglings on their shoulders, and gave them the thumb-up sign. "Really magnificently done, he didn't suspect a thing! I couldn't have managed better myself."

Eidolon wasn't lying. He meant each word - and his eyes shone with glee. Culwago was setting out somewhere. However, why now? Why in the middle of the night?

Anyway, he had to get the two kits out of here. The panther-warper probably wouldn't suspect anything, but just in case. Eidolon crouched, balancing on tiptoe in a sitting-crouching position. He carefully sidled back away from his hiding place, dragging the two small Kanthrops with him.

"Nope, we mustn't be too obvious," he whispered. "A spy has to know when to stop, and we won't get anything out of Culwago now. Thanks for the help, though!" He grinned at them through the darkness, his teeth catching the faint light from the fires.

He couldn't follow Culwago into the dark forest. Not now. Apparently, the panther-warper was really about to embark on some journey. Eidolon brushed dust from his knees as he stood up, out of view. He glanced over his shoulder one final time and then set out towards the fires.

He would ask someone older. Petran, or Oni. Or Hawkeye. After all, everyone had heard what Eidolon was to do tomorrow, so why couldn't he know what Culwago's task was?
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Eidolon made it back to the fires without much ado. Culwago seemed too wrapped up in his own business to notice, and other kanthrop were wandering the village, mostly parents or mentors putting the younger kit to bed before returning to the festivities themselves. Tarryn and Kama themselves disappeared into the crowd as they saw Keila approach. Apparently they didn't feel like going to bed just now and dodged away with the same cunning they had displayed before.

Keila smiled as she walked up to Eidolon. "I hope those two didn't cause you any trouble Eidolon, they can be a hand full." Her keen eyes focussed on a spot somewhere behind Eidolon before return to him again. "You look troubled, Eidolon. Worried about tomorrow's task?"

Eidolon Myrlin

Post by Eidolon Myrlin »

"Keila!" Eidolon cried, beaming at the pretty Kanthrop. "Why, seeing you reminds me of -" He cut off, suddenly. "Don't worry about Tarryn and Kama, they're a great pair. When I look at the way they play pranks and run around, I can almost see myself doing it, some Yahren ago." He smiled, then picked up his previous chain of thought.

"I was wondering if you have any broth or potion against hangover," he grinned, pointing to an abandoned mug of mead nearby. "I wouldn't care to scout the edges of Gnilwoh with a headache. It would be suicide."

"As for the task," Eidolon rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "I'm more worried about other kits. Especially Culwago." He glanced at Keila thoughtfully. "I just met him a few burns ago, and he claims he's Awakened already. How much truth is in that? And what's he supposed to do, tomorrow?"

His tone was quick and quiet, as if he was confessing a heavily guarded secret to Keila.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: I'll be out of town for a few days, so I'll leave you with a short one to muse on while I'm away...

"Easy, hold on dear. So many questions...You sound just as excited as one of the little ones." She shot another glance, this time in another direction.
"I might have something for you to clear your head a bit in the morning, deary. But I just suggest you don't drink too much of that stuff and go to sleep early. Plenty for you to worry about without having a hang over, don't you think? But ofcourse you already knew that, since you asked me first." A smile, motherly and understanding yet stern. Turned to a worried frown when Eidolon brought up Culwago.
"Culwago. Yes. He's awakened. Never seen anything like it, very odd. So sudden, but he seems fine now. Petran put it down to a strong will and signed him up to his hunters for a mission to the eastern Skymyst I hear. There's apparently a big hole in the wall there and they are going to make sure our isle is still safe."

She shot another glance at a tent, something ruffling under a piece of leather on the ground there.

"I just hope Petran doesn't pace Culwago too much. I know how he can be with his pupils, you've seen him ofcourse during your training with Oni. But, I must not be a worry worry, bad for the wrinkle collection, isn't it deary?"

Return to “Aveas Archive”