Ursa: Maiden Flight (Xenovia) - Chyril 23rd MT

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Ursa: Maiden Flight (Xenovia) - Chyril 23rd MT

Post by Brytan »

Chyril 23rd - Morningtide

The dawn presented itself after a gravetide of turmoil in Valley Village. Xenovia awoke to the familiar sounds of the village. Of tents bustling to life after the relative tranquility of the dark. Voices could be heard outside the tent she slept in, the tent of Gannas Hawkeye and his kin. It was empty save her. She could hear fires being lit to cook morningtide breakfast for the kit and human formed. She could hear those in their animal form, guards and hunters, eat in the village circle before leaving for their own tents to warp and rest.

Warp...

Xenovia's feathers were ruffled after having slept in somewhat of an awkward position. It had taken a while to fall asleep after she had Awakened from her dream. This new form posed her with a number of challenges and it had taken her at least a mark to find a somewhat comfortable sleeping position, being physically exhausted from fighting the Cryer inside and outside her body.

Now she was up. The tent looked different to her. Colours were more intense, items inside blurring in and out of focus as her Inner Animal had granted her it's birdlike sight. It was like looking through an immense lense, changing whenever she shifted her head, focussing now on something further away, then on something closer by.

A new daytide was upon her, and new challenges awaited.

Like getting up...
Last edited by Brytan on Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's eyes opened only as small slits at first, a taloned foot giving a small twitch as consciousness returned to her. Morning already...? She attempted to groan, though all that was heard was a low, unhappy whistle. It was then that everything came rushing back to her: the night before, the battle with the Cryers, her own internal battle, and the warp. If she could have, she would have smiled.

Then she realized she was terribly uncomfortable. Not yet used to her form, she vaguely recollected struggling to find a position she could sleep in for what was probably more than a mark. Finally she had grown so exhausted that she had simply fallen over. All her weight was on her neck, her wings slightly relaxed at her sides and her tail feathers fanned out. One leg was sticking out at an odd angle, the other properly tucked beneath her body. It was with some effort that Xen managed to push herself up with her neck and hop into a standing position, turning her head slowly this way and that to try to work out the slight pain in her bones. As she did, she looked around the tent with her incredibly acute vision, marveling at the way she could focus on the most minute details. Everything seemed brighter and sharper.

Tentatively, Xenovia stretched out her wings. The span was at least five and a half feet long, the long finger feathers of her wings extending outward and shaking slightly as her muscles tensed with her stretch. Folding her wings again, she hopped slightly from foot to foot, still feeling a bit unsteady. It was strange to see the black of her beak in her lower peripheral vision rather than a nose, and to feel so light. Though Xen wanted to fly, she wasn't sure where to begin.

And she could hear so much more than usual!

Still blinking from weariness, the warped Xenovia made her way out of the tent, somewhat awkward in her osprey form but still quite pleased with herself. The new light of the sun made her blink rapidly as her head swiveled left and right. Having trouble getting up was not an unusual thing for her; she often found herself staying out too late, after all, and had received her fair share of verbal abuse for it.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

To an outsider, an osprey struggling it's way out of a tent through the flap might have been a strange and unworldy sight. In Valley Village it wasn't a common sight, but upon leaving the tent it was met with cheers and smiles rather than surprise.

The village was coming to life as the sun peeked over the Skymyst in the east. The sounds Xenovia had heard now took on form as she watched her fellow kanthrop gathering around cooking fires for breakfast, be it served cooked for the human formed, or raw for the animal formed.

Word had obviously spread of Xenovia's succesfull Awakening, as she was quickly met by Kaila, the local village den mother.

"Good morningtide deary, hope you got some sleep after last night." She quickly proceeded to help Xenovia through the tent flap, picking her up as if she weighed nothing, straightening her feathers and wings a bit as she set her down on a makeshift birdseat, constructed out of a large dead branch and some wooden poles, by one of her own fires, sharp old hawk eyes meeting with Xenovia's above a broad smile.

"Always good to have another wing amongst us, dear. Here, I have made my special waking up broth. A little mix between your usual diet and something you can digest in your animal form to get used to the sensation." The bowl looked to be a sort of soup, slightly heated, with chunks of meat and fish semi cooked floating in the thick liquid which seemed to consist of water, vegetables and several varieties of Goldenback grain.

Kaila was a wise woman, having tended to countless kit before her. She knew everyone in the village and delivered a few kit herself in her day. Where the kanthan took care of the physical and mental training of the young, Kaila was the one they came home to in the eveningtide to share stories and eat a meal. Her fire was well frequented by the young and the old alike, never a dull moment.

As she sat down and handed out a few more bowls of her soup, along with bread and water for "her" kit.

"Hey, look! It's Oni!"

"She's back from the Passage again."

"Good morningtide Oni!"

A shadow sweeping over the village was spotted as hello's and shouts went up to greet the kanthan of the wind. Oni soared over the village a few times, but after spotting Xenovia she quickly halted herself in mid air and lowered herself to land on a post conveniently planted near the tent of Gannas Hawkeye and the fire of Kaila. The village was littered with the wooden posts as bird forms were not uncommon in the village, but chairs and the hard ground were murder on the birds of prey.

The kanthan plucked at her feathers a bit, straightening them after a long flight. She had left the village earlier this morning to check on her outpost at the Skymyst Passage. Today was special however. She had left her lieutenants in charge of guarding the gate. She had flying lessons to teach.

"Morning Xenovia, hope you slept well." She spoke in her familiar melodious voice.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Tent flaps were much more difficult when one did not have a hand to push them aside, and Xenovia was grateful when Kaila pulled it back for her, whistling softly. It was a startled flail that she gave, however, her whistle sharpening, as she was picked up. It was definitely a strange sensation, standing only at around two feet tall and weighing so little that she could be picked up like a child. She was quick to settle, however, warbling softly in what she hoped would be conveyed as an apology to Kaila.

As she was set down Xenovia carefully gripped the branch with taloned feet, looking back at Kaila and trying to make a smile show in her eyes, if she could. It was all so much to get used to, yet she tackled it eagerly. When the odd soup was set before her Xen gave a soft whistle, then became distracted. She seemed to be playing with all the sounds she could make, testing the limits of her vocals. What came out was a wide variety of whistles and tones in different octaves, and a few warbling chirps and chitters. One of the chitters sounded somewhat akin to a laugh. Then she was eying the soup, leaning down to tentatively pick out the bits of fish; she was somewhat awkward about it, but it wasn't so hard. It will be easier when I start to get in touch with my instincts, I think. Even the feeling of ingesting food was different.

Her sharp eyes caught the shadow easily, and Xenovia forgot her soup for a moment, her head cocking upward in a swift, birdlike movement. She was surprised at how easily she could pick Oni's form out in the sky -- even better than when she used to lie on the ground and stare wistfully upward. The slight glare of the sun didn't seem to bother her vision, and Xen watched her closely, trying to see how she moved when she flew. Unconsciously she fluttered on her perch, her feathers fluffing up and then ruffling back down.

Xenovia remained attentive as Oni lowered herself and settled nearby. Not having to turn one's upper body to look around was nice, her head swiveling round as Oni spoke to her. She felt a pang of jealousy, and wondered how long it would take for her to attain such mastery of her form. She was impatient. Yet for now she simply whistled amiably and pranced a bit on her perch, obviously feeling bright and awake now, and rather proud of her new form.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

It was a pleasure to watch Oni fly. With her new eyes Xenovia caught a variety of details she had never noticed before, about position of the wings, the rythm of them beating against the air currents. Her Inner Animal was feeding into her conciousness at a base level, linking it's own feelings and thoughts in with hers. Every motion of the gracefull falcon was carefully noted and compared to the somewhat different form of the osprey. An almost mathematical approach was instinctively applied for her, her mind overflowing with new ways of gathering information about her own kind. Since her voice was lost to her, she would have to go on her ears and her eyes alone. Questioning was out, but her Inner Animal was already compensating that lack by adding it's own ways of learning to her own.

It was a rather stunning experience.

"I think she is rather content, she's eaten some, haven't ya deary?" Kaila stroked Xenovia's back, much the same way as she had done with her hair in human form when she was but a lass of five yahren old. "She's been trying out her vocal chords, seem to be working perfectly. She's even more chatty than she would normally be."

"I can see and hear that Kaila. Well Xenovia, when you're ready just let me know, I've asked someone to come help us with today's excersise." The falcon nodded to someone who was obviously just out of Xenovia's field of vision. On her call however, a young girl prowled out of a corner somewhere behind her and jumped upright next to Oni.
"Good morningtide Oni, hey Xen." Allaeya was a young girl under the care of Petran Shadowbreath. Still far away from her own Awakening she was usually running around the village to run errands for the elders. Known to be a swift runner she sometimes worked as a messenger for the Kanthrop working out in the fields. Now she was dressed in a casual kanthar, one arm solidly wrapped in a gauntlet, covering most of her left lower arm and hand in padded leather.

"When you're ready Xenovia, I want you to just hop onto Allaeya's arm so we can go somewhere more open to practice. This is hardly the place for it and I won't submit you to walking. Be sure to finish your breakfast though, we have quite a workout to do today."
Last edited by Brytan on Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

How vastly everything had changed in just one night! The way she saw, heard, smelled, tasted, and even thought was different. Unusual yet not unfamiliar. It was like getting in touch with a part of herself that had been slumbering -- and in truth that was the case. Her thoughts raced with new ideas and ways of comprehending. She understood why Oni did those things when she flew, and what she herself would need to do a bit different. Xenovia felt almost giddy as all these things came to her. She had a new understanding of everything, and even new ways of learning. Everything was keener. Sharper. More meaningful than ever. Nothing was ignored.

Kaila's voice pulled Xen out of her deep concentration and she chittered softly, comforted by the familiar feeling of Kaila's gentle touch. The caring woman had always been one of her favorites; she reminded Xenovia of her mother.

Her head swiveled quickly in Allaeya's direction as the girl moved past her and to Oni, and she pranced uncomfortably on her perch for a moment. Xenovia had always been flighty and jittery, so the sudden appearance of the girl startled her a bit. A small flap of her wings brought her back on balance as she settled again, giving the girl a slightly reproachful look, as if scolding Allaeya for startling her. Then, with a soft whistle, she looked back to her soup. Eager to begin the day's training, Xen finished her breakfast as swiftly as she could, gulping down meat, vegetables, and grain alike, though the chunks of fish had been the first to go.

In a few burns she had finished, her head turning to preen idly at her feathers for a few flickers. It seemed a natural thing to do, and Xen hardly thought about it, before she turned her gaze back to Allaeya. Moving to the edge of her perch, Xen made sure that it was obvious that she was ready to go before she hopped onto the girl's gauntleted arm. She only weighed about eight pounds, but she was still wary, her wings remaining slightly lifted lest the girl drop her. Xenovia tended to get a bit cross with people who startled her (she'd even been cross with Oni a couple times), and she was already not overly fond of Allaeya.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

As soon as Xenovia finished her breakfast, Aellaeya and Oni patiently waiting for her to gobble down the remaining pieces of meat and such, and she hopped onto the gauntlet, they were off. Aellaeya started at a brisk pace in the morning sun, greeting Keila and the others as she marched out of the village. She obviously knew where she was going, quickly turning north after leaving the gate.

Eyes were upon them as they walked out of the village. Some who just woke up, seeing the two walk about, cheerfully greeted Xenovia and Allaeya alike.

"Good luck Xen!"

"Break a leg!" with a short whisper after "I always wanted to say that..."

And more such greetings as they passed the waking villagers. Leaving the village they came across Culwago who was assigned gate duty obviously. He didn't seem very pleased about something, since he blatantly ignored the girl and the osprey on her arm as they passed her. Allaeya greeting him with an ever cheerfull "Hey Cully wully!"

Continuing shortly after they had gotten to the path leading to Paw Lake; "He's such a grouch..."

They moved swiftly and quickly came to the edge of Paw Lake. The water glinting brightly in the sunlight, cliffs and ledges looming over the water in the deep. Xenovia recalled the water level being much higher before The Collapse, but with that a lot of the water had drained into cracks and caveties below the surface. This left a lot of the previously hidden depths exposed, including several caves which had already been the subject of some exploration surveys.

There was still enough water left to provide the Kanthrop with water, and it was at one of these ledges that Oni sat on a large stone overlooking the forest to one side and the lake to another. The forest had never stood this close to the lake, leaving a large grassy area before. But large parts of the area had crumbled into the depths and now several large trees stood on the edge of the cliff, large willow branches hanging over the side, as if reaching for the water below, part of their root structure exposed.

"What took you so long?" Oni smirked. She winked. "No worries, we'll have you flying in no time. If you could hop on thís rock with me, we'll begin."

Allaeya left Xenovia a bit of room to hop off and then skipped around a bit before planting herself firmly in the soil, roughly fifty paces from where they sat.

"Alright Xen. The first trick to flying is the use of the air around you. Wings are usefull tools, but they are nothing without the currents to glide on. We aren't bluebirds so we shouldn't try to flap our wings silly. We have to mind the wind and use it to save our strength for when we really need it; to go up."

Oni spread her wings slowly, showing off a wingspan slightly less than that of Xenovia, though not at all less impressive so close up. She beat her wings a few times, clearly not intent on lifting off, rather showing the motion of muscles and feathers against the air around her.

"Try that a bit, and when you feel confident you should try if you can hop off the rock and fly to Allaeya, like so."

She beat her wings a few times, hopping down off the rock and turning her wings down against the current she created, beating a few more times before catching a nice glide and landing steadily on Allaeya's arm.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Though somewhat unsteady at first, Xenovia was a quick learner, and it wasn't long before she was balancing steadily on her moving perch. She whistled here and there occasionally to choice greetings, though for the most part she just looked forward, eager to reach their destination. When Allaeya greeted Culwago in such a mocking way, Xen released that chittering laugh, deciding that the girl wasn't so bad after all.

Xen gazed at the lake, remembering how the water had once been much higher, and the forest much further back. Yet it had not been devastating, and already there had been some explorations of the caves that could now be seen. She was quick to hop off of Allaeya's arm and onto the rock, moving so that Oni had plenty of room and watching her closely. She gave thoughtful nods here and there as Oni explained the finer points of flying, then watched in awe as Oni glided along to Allaeya's arm. Though jealous and eager, Xenovia forced herself to take her time.

Hopping over to the spot where Oni had been standing, Xen spread her wings wide. Her feathers were all whites and blacks, a beautiful mixture of stripes, speckles, and solids. For a moment she turned her head to look at her left wing, before remembering her lesson and beginning to beat them. First gently, tentatively, she sped up, feeling the breeze she created and the currents of the wind around her. She wanted desperately to take to the skies, rather than to do as she was told and fly to Allaeya. Yet she shook her head slightly, and hopped forward.

It was strange, like learning something she already knew somewhere deep within herself, but hadn't been able to get at. She attempted to do the same as Oni, turning her wings down and fanning her tail slightly to catch the current and give a few more powerful flaps to carry herself along. Should she make it, a few more flaps would rear her up as her feet extended and she came to perch upon Allaeya's arm once more.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: Sorry for the late reply.

It was a strange sensation to move around like this. The feeling of talons on rock was not very pleasant, though the presence of the sharp claws did feel safe somehow, gripping whatever came below them firmly like hands with fiercely sharp nails. Moving her wings felt good. Better than keeping them tucked in, the feathers provided her with a feeling of power, beating a rythm to send her upwards.

It took her a bit to find a good beat as she sat on the rock, the power in her wings was something to get accustomed to. But Xenovia got a good feel for it after a bit of trying and hopped of the rock the same way as Oni had done. She dropped a good bit to the ground, only barely managing to keep off the ground. Xenovia could feel her Inner Animal rushing to the foreground of her mind, making it harder to focus like a person, but easier to think like the bird of prey she now resembled. With a bit of help and guidance from the spirit within she got back on track, but by that time overshot her mark. She could sense her Inner Animal loving the sensation of flight, it making a large circle upward and back our of sheer joy before giving back some of the reigns to Xenovia and allowing her to manouvre back to Allaeya's arm and land on it, gripping the arm just a little too tightly.

"Ow! Watch it Xen, no need to grapple me like that!"

Oni had already moved from Allaeya's arm to a tree branch nearby as soon as Xenovia lifted off, watching with something that might resemble a frown when Xenovia landed again. "That wasn't you flying, was it Xen?"

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

She had thought she was going to hit the ground. For the barest flicker Xenovia groaned inwardly, waiting for the impact. Yet she found herself beating her wings properly and catching herself before her body met the ground; and though she missed Allaeya's arm the first time she could hardly focus on it, instead soaring upward and looping in a circle. Joy surged through her -- joy that was partly hers and partly that of her Inner Animal. She couldn't complain, and as she felt her Inner Animal return control to her, Xen alighted on Allaeya's arm. She gripped it somewhat roughly in her excitement, though, looking up at the girl's protests and whistling softly in apology.

Then Oni's voice came to her, and she didn't sound terribly happy. The effect was akin to swatting a small animal with a rolled up bit of parchment. Her head ducked slightly, feathers ruffling up as she pranced lightly on Allaeya's arm and chittered, almost as if making excuses.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Allaeya walked Xenovia over to the rock, Oni flew over there aswell and landed, skidding a bit on the smooth surface of the rock, gripping her talons in for a better hold. Oni's eyes peered into Xenovia's and she shook her head.

"It is very easy in animal form to let your Inner Animal take control. It is after all their gift, their natural shape. But you must never forget that it is you who has the upper hand. Even though you've merged spirits, it is still your body. If you forget that for even but a flicker, you risk losing control forever and turning into the animal your form represents."

Oni's voice sounded serious and reprimanding. This was obviously something she wanted to convey in the most sincere way. Not for a moment did she break eye contact, as if personally trying to drive Xenovia's Inner Animal back into the recesses of her mind. Xenovia could feel a sense of disproval emanating from the osprey within her and a sudden tendency to attack this natural competitor which was vying for dominance and territory. Basic instinctive responses were oozing around in her mind and it was only now that Xenovia became aware that this spirit inside of her might not have lost the animalistic part of it's being at all, no matter how cooperative it had seemed.

It was still an animal.

"Alright. So let's try that again. And remember what I taught you about focus and control of your mind. It's ok to learn from your spirit bond, but do not let it control your actions, allow it to come only so close to your concience and keep it at bay for the rest. This is a vital part in your training, much more than it will be to learn how to fly."

Allaeya walked back to her old spot and Oni stayed by Xenovia's side to see how she would proceed.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia gazed back at Oni, standing almost at a rigid attention when she heard the seriousness in her voice. However, it was not until she felt a desire to attack Oni that Xen's eyes widened and she truly grasped the fact that there was still an animal inside her that she needed to learn to keep at bay. It had seemed so trustworthy, but the thought of it taking over her body shocked her. Immediately she sought to curb those instinctual feelings -- not to cut them off, but rather to soften them. If she did something in this bird form, she wanted to do it of her own volition.

Okay. As Oni gave her the instruction to try again, Xenovia closed her eyes. Though she could still hear better, she sought to focus on the fact that she was still herself. Still the host. Still in control. She wouldn't let that go again if she could help it. This is my body. I won't do anything that I don't want to do. I won't let go of my control.

Then she began beating her wings again, slowly, feeling the way her muscles moved and her feathers pressed against the breeze she was creating. She waited until the motion felt familiar to her; until it seemed as if she had been flying all her life. Surely if young birds could learn to fly with little more than instruction from their mothers, she could learn with instruction from Oni. Once she felt that she would be able to carry herself on her own, Xen allowed herself to fall forward slightly, her tail feathers fanning to catch the breeze, her wings seeking to do the same, as she attempted to fly to Allaeya for the second time. Only this time if she faltered she would let herself fall, rather than allow her Inner Animal to help her. The knowledge it gave her was enough to learn flight. At the worst she could try again..it was better than releasing her control and never getting it back.

If you want to fly, you will have to let me do it. I am willing to share the experience, but I will not be secondary.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Surprisingly, not much had changed to her ability to fly. Even though she could feel her Inner Animal object to this new found cling to her own identity, Xenovia managed to perform the excersise without much trouble. She did after all have the form of a grown osprey and she had been around bird warpers all her life. With her animal spirit now fully awake it was merely a matter of putting yahren of observing into action.

"Well done Xen, that was great!" Allaeya exclaimed as Xenovia landed on her arm. The young girl smiled broadly as Oni also approached again, praying a while a few meters above the two youngsters on the ground.

"Yes Xen, that was much better. I can tell you've been watching carefully. The only way to really test your skill is in the air though. If you feel up to the challenge I propose a little contest."

She beat her wings a few times to gain some altitude.

"See if you can keep up!"

And then she dropped, pitching down sharply for a bit before soaring back up with a few mighty beats of her wings just above the head of Allaeya who instincively ducked to the ground. Within flickers the form of the falcon master was disappearing into the sky above them.

"Go on, go get her Xen!"

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

It was not so terribly difficult after all. She had known for yahren that her warped form would be one with wings, and Xenovia had watched her fellow bird warpers for as long as she could remember. She'd seen the way their wings were held differently while flying depending on the species. She'd watched the way they landed; how some swooped to their perches, and others dropped down upon them. Now instead of watching she could finally perform, and she was eager.

As she landed upon Allaeya's arm and was warmed by her encouragement, Xen twittered and whistled cheerfully, her chest puffing out with pride. Her attention on Oni, she seemed curious as to what the contest would be. Surely she could do nothing better than Oni, but it would still be fun no doubt.

She had a flicker or so to process Oni's challenge as she swooped down. Allaeya ducked and, used to acting on whims and sudden notions, Xen allowed herself to be carried forward by the slightly angled momentum of Allaeya's movement. It was this inertia that she used in an attempt to launch herself swiftly from the girl's arm and soar forward. At first she was going in the wrong direction, grazing along close to the ground, and it might have seemed as if she was going to fail. Then she turned suddenly, angling her body and her wings so that she looped round. Anticipation and adrenaline filled her mind and blood as Xen beat her wings eagerly, now heading upward after Oni. Her keen eyesight locked on the falcon's form, her whistle echoing out gleefully.

Xenovia lived for the hunt, and the chase was just as fun to her.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The hunt was on. Up Oni went, over the trees and higher still. Her wings beating swiftly to gain altitude before gripping a solid air current which dragged her along the sky. She was a skilled hunter and she knew every trick of the trade when it came to maintaining speed and altitude without having to use too much energy. She could stay up for marks if she wanted to, searching the sky and land for whatever it was she felt like. She taught her scouts to do the same, to keep an eye out for suspicious traffic on the paths of the island, and now Pan's Isle.

Xenovia could feel her Inner Animal begging for control. "I'll show you how to go even faster, even higher." it seemed to say without so many words. Flying was relatively easy and with all the open air around her, a few little slips of the wings and an air pocket here and there might shake her a bit but didn't throw her down to the ground.

The view was spectactular from up here. As the trees grew ever smaller and the rigid peaks of the Skymyst loomed ever closer she could see the sun shine over more than just her tiny island. Because tiny is what it was.

Beyond the Skymyst she saw endless masses of water. In the distance to the east she saw the shadows of more mountains and forests, some smoke curling up from some places in those far away and foreign woods. Out across the north, even higher up, she could see even more water and islands in the distance as the horizon broadened into an amazing spectrum of new worlds.

And then there was Oni.

Her tutor soared up for a while until she spread her wings out, stopping the beat to level her out on a powerfull current at that altitude. As soon as she had settled there she seemed to shoot forward at the same speed still but without the use of her wings. Xenovia thought she could even see her mentor looking back at her from time to time, to see how she was holding up.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia watched Oni closely. Despite the fact that everything around her was beautiful -- that the sky was hers and the ground stretched out below her, the scenery more incredible than she had ever imagined -- she remained entirely focused on the falcon. This single-mindedness guided her as she mimicked Oni's flight, taking the same path in the hopes of catching any air currents that she would use to her advantage.

Here and there she faltered, randomly dropping quite suddenly as she met with a pocket of air, or flapping awkwardly when she lost her rhythm. Her Inner Animal was begging her for control but she remained strong, remembering how it had caused her to feel hostile toward Oni. Xen didn't dare give in to anything that could possibly make her want to harm someone she had so much love and respect for. Tell me, she answered inwardly, still focused on Oni. Give me the knowledge, share it. But I must learn to fly properly.

For the barest moment she was distracted, as the sky opened up and the sea stretched out beyond. Everything...there was so much to see! How big was the world? Suddenly she longed to explore every bit of it, and it was all she could do to tear her gaze away from the scenery and focus again on Oni.

She was up higher now, seemingly unconcerned and even glancing back at her every once in a while. Xenovia beat her wings powerfully, urging herself upward and searching for the current that was carrying Oni along. Xen was all too aware that she would probably not be able to catch her mentor, but she was willing to try anyway. In the process, she was learning much.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The sky embraced both birds like a caring mother. Guiding and chastising at the same time, teaching and pupil at once. Oni and Xenovia sped across the sky, Oni like one who had been doing so for yahren, Xenovia with increasing ease and skill.

Oni seemed to be content with Xenovia's process as she started to work in a few little excersises into their flight path. From time to time she would dip and climb, circle around sharply to come up behind Xenovia and other such manouvres to see how Xen would react. This continued on for some time, but fatigue started to grab the unskilled Xenovia and her wings started to feel numb and heavy. Oni came along the side and nudged towards a rocky outcropping in the wall of rock making up the south-eastern Skymyst. Talking was nigh impossible even for her at this altitude and speed, but she made sure to make it clear she wanted to land there before gently descending towards the ledge.

As she landed on one of the sharp rocks she waited for Xenovia to land aswell. Cleaning and straightening a few feathers while she waited patiently for her pupil to settle a bit after the strenuous excersise.

"You did good Xenovia. Very good. You must be tired though. We'll rest here a bit. The tide is still young and I think it would be nice to see how you are at hunting. There will be times when you might have to rely on your animal form alone, as scouting and spying is something that is done quite well from the sky, but our warping takes too long to do casually."

She picked at a few feathers which seemed reluctant to bend back into shape.

"On Ursa, everyone knows what and who you are. Out there..." her proud head and beak nudged towards the east "...none do. You should be carefull about contact with outlanders. They will not understand us, hunt us like animals and kill us if they see a threat. Or worse, capture and cage us. You will need to know how to hunt, but how to escape aswell."

A strong wind blew across the stoney outcropping, howling between the raggy peaks through which the isle of Pan could be seen stretching out in all it's green splendor.

"The Panlings live below. We do not deal with them much and many do not know us. Centaurs can be trusted. They understand our kind as they are as ill understood as we are by the outlander races. If you like we can pay a little visit to the forests below and see a few of them? There is much to see down there, much you should know of."

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

It wasn't so hard after all. Feeling increasingly comfortable and at home in the sky, Xenovia chased gleefully after Oni. She mimicked the falcon's every move, dipping and climbing with her, performing little loops to get behind her when she circled, and generally enjoying herself. Even her dedication to the hunt could not reach her any more at that moment, and she was so intent on her fun that for some time she did not notice her weariness.

Obediently Xenovia followed Oni to the outcropping, landing nearby and standing tall for a moment, her wings still spread proudly. Then her fatigue caught up with her and she drooped quite suddenly. Her muscles felt like they were on fire! Eyes closing, Xen almost seemed to slouch, folding her wings to her side and bowing her head. Flying was hard work, and she'd not realized just how hard she had been working at it. Those little tricks hadn't done much to help, either, and she felt as if she could sleep for days.

Xen listened to Oni with her eyes still shut, and though she straightened slightly when Oni spoke of hunting it was clear that she would need a few moments to recover. The low whistle that came from her was meek and weary.

One of her eyes opened, followed by the other, when Oni spoke of outsiders. She had heard much, been told many times not to trust them -- and she didn't. The idea of being captured made her feathers ruffle, and she glanced reproachfully toward Aveas. Yet the idea of seeing a Centaur appealed to her, and after a few more flickers she straightened and preened herself thoughtfully, then looked to Oni with those golden eyes and nodded her assent. Her wings spread slightly, as if to signal that she was ready to go; yet her eyes begged Oni to take it easy.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Oni nodded at Xenovia's request. "No worries Xen, we'll rest up here a bit. It's your first day out so let's just rest for a while, take in the sights and catch our breath. In a mark or so we shall go to Pan's Isle and find something to eat."

And indeed they sat for something resembling a mark. Orcourse telling time like they did back in the village was a little difficult when you were sat on top of a ragged, windy mountain peak, gazing out over miles and miles of forest, mountain and ocean in the distance. While they sat Oni explained a little bit about Pan's Isle. About it's peoples and the wildlife. Being a Kanthan she did know something about the Panlings, the adhiel who inhabited the city they called Tal'Fea'Taur to the south, the dark adhiel of Gulanadur to the north. She spoke a bit about the lay of the land, the Centaur Grove in the middle of the isle, and of recent events where she had seen fighting and smoke in the south.

"Hunting parties usually stay to the western side of the isle, where the forests are lush and thick. That is where the exit of Ursa's Heart lies and that gives us easy access to prey for the hunt. Also, it limits the risk of running into any adhiel who might want to kill us as being rival predators. They see only the animal we look like after all."

As they sat, the sun rose higher. Soon it would be Tradetide. Xenovia's Inner Animal was getting antsy and it was trying to gain control of her again, to spread her wings and fly off the mountain. Driven by hunger, she got the urge to go find a rabbit or some fish to kill and devour.

Once Oni was satisfied they were well rested, that Xen was well rested, she nodded to her and said; "So, ready for a dip into the outside world?" before dropping off the ledge into the depths below.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

OOC: Apologies for the delay.

Xenovia stared out wonderingly at the scene laid out before her, grateful that Oni did not intent to leave immediately. Occasionally she shifted her weight, spreading a wing casually to preen or simply sitting and listening; acutely listening, that is. Xen soaked up Oni's knowledge like a dry sponge given liquid, committing it to memory. Humans and Adhiels alike cannot be trusted. This was something she had heard over and over again in her lifetime. It would not quickly leave her.

Her Inner Animal caused her to shift uncomfortably from time to time as she sternly denied her instincts. Though hunger pulled at her stomach -- and her wings -- she remained determinedly in place. I will not lose myself to you, she thought fiercely. Never. She was too headstrong to be anyone but herself, after all.

More than ready by the time Oni invited her to continue, Xen spread her long wings eagerly and dropped after her, whistling once, cheerfully. There was so much to see, and she was eager to see it all.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The first thing that might become obvious on this flight, was that the outside world was huge. Compared to Ursa, Pan's Isle was far far larger, be it an island. Ursa could easily fit ten times into Pan's Isle, if not more. This judging by the view from several hundred meters above the ground.

To the north Xenovia could see an immense mountain range, larger and higer than Skymyst. To the east and south immense forest stretched across most of the island, further to the south being alternated with more and more fields and habitation. A large city off to the south, laying peacefully in the distance, it was by far the largest settlement Xenovia ever layed eyes upon. Valley Village was...well...just that. A village.

Oni flew down the Skymyst, only to pull up to a secure height over the forests of western Pan's Isle. They flew high and slowly, carried by a good updraft which gave their wings some rest. This gave both of them a little time to enjoy the view, and Oni to give some pointers.

"We can't go too far south. But the city you see over there is called Tal'Fea'Taur. It's where the Panlings live. We'll stay to the forests, far safer for us to hunt here. A few fields a little further east will be good for training and grabbing some food."

She circled up a bit, and indeed. A bit further east there were several green fields, hidden between trees and more trees. One cut in half by a slender brook creeping through the peaceful meadow. A grand spot for small wildlife to find food and drink. Xenovia could spot several smaller animals frollicking in the grass, rabbits perhaps? The brook led to a small drinking creek, probably teeming with fish. Her Inner Animal, aswell as her stomach, were telling her it was time to eat. A feeling hard to conquer, something Xenovia might not want to conquer.

"Time for the next part of your lesson!" Oni yelled over the wind, as she picked a good height and location, obviously eyeing the small wildlife down there. Before Xenovia knew it, Oni was dropping like a stone towards the ground, talons outstretched, a bullet fired from a sling. Within flickers she bolted to the grassy meadow below, before turning sharply upwards, holding a struggling rabbit in her mighty claws.

Time to eat.

She swooped down onto a tree branch, where Oni started devouring her lunch. She looked up at Xenovia as if to say "You're up next kiddo."

Her Inner Animal seemed to agree.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's powerful wings carried her more easily this time, and flying felt familiar and pleasant. Her smaller heart still beat eagerly in her chest as she swiveled her head this way and that, large golden eyes taking in as much as possible as swiftly as possible. There is so much! Nearly forgetting herself, Xen beat her wings three times, shortly, as if intending to dive. It was only at the last moment that she caught herself and settled again into a soar, riding the updraft. She ached to explore, yet it would be foolhardy to do so. This was, after all, her first real flight.

Her eyes lingered on the city. She could see it clearly, far more so than with human eyes; and though she listened closely to Oni, she found herself wondering more about what sorts of people the Panlings were. Not to be trusted, of course, like any who weren't Kanthrop or Centaur. Yet still they might be curious creatures.

Again Xen fell slightly behind, coming to herself only when Oni circled higher and she had to work a bit to catch up. In the east she spied the fields Oni had spoken of, and she suddenly remembered that she was incredibly hungry. Her Inner Animal very obviously agreed, and as soon as she spotted the creek it was all Xen could do to keep from breaking into a dive. Then Oni was past her, shooting toward the fields, and in turning her head Xen easily spotted her mentor's target. Though no bird hunted the same way or the same prey, Xen watched carefully, noting how Oni turned her wings and body to lift again from the ground. Though the water would prove a softer landing should she fail to rise upward fast enough, Xen still was not keen on failure.

For a few flickers she hovered above the water, eyes searching. Xenovia waited until she felt the thud in her chest, spotting a fish floating liesurely in a calmer part of the stream. Then she was shooting toward it, wings folded back, gaze locked on her prey. As she descended, she could feel the adrenaline coursing through her blood, and she was reminded of her battle with the Cryers. That feeling -- hunting, fighting -- was better than any other to her. At the last moment Xen shifted her weight, her large wings flying open to brake her only slightly as she plunged feet first into the water. Her outer toes reversed, her barbed talons well suited to holding on to fish, and she attempted to snag the unfortunate creature. Should she catch it, she would turn it head-forward to reduce drag as she beat her wings fiercely to pull herself back into the air. At best she would succeed, and at worst she would try again.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The city in the distance looked alien to her. Not like the forests and the meadows spread out below her. They resembled her home, even though they stretched farther and wider than she could have ever imagined. The world in a nutshell, spread out and open like an oyster waiting to be sucked empty.

Xenovia's Inner Animal rejoiced at the thought of the hunt, and went along with it for the full one hundred percent. Subconciously she could hear it telling her exactly what to do, how to roll, pivot and turn. When to time her wings. As if she had known forever, she pelted down and caught her quarry without much effort. The fish struggled in her beak as she climbed up and gained some altitude again. It's taste was curious, raw and wild.

Oni looked at her pupil from a distance away, finishing off her own meal and looking at the success of Xenovia she rejoiced within. "She learns quickly."

In the distance to the south, a small black spot started to get larger in the sky. The shape of a falcon could be seen in the distance to the west, soaring over the tree tops toward the city of man.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

The fish securely in the grasp of her talons, Xenovia found herself a perch in a nearby, low-hanging tree, settling onto it and beginning to tear gleefully into her prey. Her sharp beak easily ripped through the flesh of the fish, and as she ate her fill Xen glanced around for Oni, having lost track of where she landed. Her sharp vision allowed her to see details that she might have never noticed before, and for a moment the young osprey was caught up in it all, staring in wonder at the detail in the blades of grass, the light catching on the curves of the stream, the way she could see the clouds for what seemed like miles and miles...

As she examined the sky, Xenovia caught sight of a black speck, her wonder immediately replaced with curiosity. Cocking her head, a piece of the fish still dangling from her beak, she focused on the spot. Slowly it grew larger, and it was not long before she could determine that it was a falcon. Yet it was going toward the city, rather than the wilds. What business does a falcon have in the city? Had she an eyebrow, it would have been arched.

Her curiosity peaked, Xen finished the remainder of her meal as swiftly as she could, still looking up occasionally to keep track of the falcon's progress, to see if it truly was going to the city. Idly, she wondered if Oni had noticed it as well. I will be quite glad when I can talk again, she thought to herself with some irritation.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The falcon who flew over the forest canopy was indeed heading south, in the direction of the city. She flew like that for a while, until she eventually saw something she liked and dove down in between the trees to rise up but flickers later with prey in her beak.

What was a bit more curious was the perch she chose after she had obtained her prey. It being a large wooden contraption, flying through the air in the direction of the Skymyst mountains. It's form was sleek as it moved through the air with amazing speed. Wings to it's side made it look a bit like a bird, but the mast and sails on top gave it quite an alien look. From this distance Xenovia thought she could see people walking around on top of the wooden bird.

Oni had also noticed the falcon, and the wooden contraption.

"Hmm, such a strange looking device. Looks like it's coming from the city. I don't like where it's going though. Perhaps we should go back to the village. We'll have more time to practice later. You need rest anyway and if that thing goes where I think it will, then the council needs to be warned."

OOC: I think we can wrap this one up for now? Feel free to start a new thread, or join one of the going threads in tradetide, concerning the impending invasion. Feel free to enter a closing argument and enjoy what is to come ;)

Return to “Aveas Archive”