Talk to the Hand....erm to the Monks (Chyril 25th late MT)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Talk to the Hand....erm to the Monks (Chyril 25th late MT)

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

The Abbey is a place of peace and imperturbability. It has been here ages and nothing of the outside-occurrences seems to affect this holy place much. Here resides monks and other gentle commoners.

Upon the short climb to the top of the hill among the concluding trees a scent of strong brew floats on a breeze. It is the earliest sign that the travel is quickly coming to an end. The arrival is shortly impending and there it is - the Redwood Gates. The proud Redwood Gates are situated at the top of a treeless hill. Tall walls surround the lazy town - though what malignant creature would attack or harm a place like this. The inhabitants would not harm anything could it be prevented, and their goal is to simply gain more understanding of all things and live in peace with rest of Tazlure.

A momentous gate made of finely preserved Redwood is placed here. Intricate carvings decorate its surface, all inter-connected by a delicate tracery of silvery enameled vine. A great carving in the middle is surely an ancient symbol representing Mother Earth; only a handful of citizens know the meaning of it. Set in fancy cabinets on either side of the great gate are two pull-ropes.

The Redwood Gates concludes the Abbey Road. In a distant age many men and women travelled here - through the forest and plains - to seek knowledge and restoration. The town can still provide these things, there are simply not the same amount of people coming here.

A small metal plaque is carved into the surface of the Redwood Gates. It reads, "Greetings to all of the Mother's children. Pull the cord to gain access to the Abbey." The welcoming-phrase is repeated in twelve different languages underneath the common greeting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It has been a busy couple of days, and Gavin was not very happy with how things went so far, wondering why in the Nether did he think he could be done with everything he had planned in a single day. It has taken him three very long and boring days to get everything done, and he was sick and tired of sitting in a tavern all day doing nothing and just thinking of what he had to do and how to do it. They had spent the morning traveling to the Abbey, in the hopes of gaining a bit more knowledge of the stones and their link to the Mother. Or rather learning more about Mother and her ways since he doubted the monks knew much about the stones. With such though he turned to Syra and with a shrug pulled the cord. "Let's hope they don't keep us waiting for half a yahren before we learn something useful."
Last edited by Gavin Tylvan on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena brushed her hand over her cheek, a small streak of dirt left behind in its wake. Slowly standing up, she picked up her basket of freshly picked herbs and started to make her way back to the infirmary, though she decided to take the long way. She had spent the last few days inside, hunched over medical books, trying to learn everything. To be back outside, taking in fresh air, felt good. Several deep breathes cleansed her mind, making it easier for her to think.

As she passed by the main gate, she heard the bells peal. A small frown creased her lips as she looked about to see if anyone else was present to help answer it. If not, she would do so.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

"Yeah well, blah." The girl shrugged, not at all impressed with the lack of interest people were showing in the future of Islay. In fact, it annoyed her to no end, feeling a very familiar frustration bubble up again in which nothing would get done and no one would care either way.

As such she had spent several marks playing with cards, building cardhouses, impersonating whirlwinds to bring them down and sucking the subsequent cuts in her fingers when the thin wooden cardgame yielded to her fantasy.

It was hard work playing a god.

And now they were at the abbey, quite possibly the home of people who'd actually know something of use. All Syrawenn remembered of the Mother was how she'd actually liked that avatar best in the past. The others could go sit on a roof and she still fondly remembered decking the One's avatar with a little help from the funny Adhiel.

Just for good measure she decided to pull the chord as well. Maybe someone would get to them twice as fast now.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Looking around Galaena quickly spotted Brother Alphan Strassoppel hobbling towards the Redwood gates. The old gatekeeper was a familiar sight in the Hall of Willow, thanks to his chronic arthitic condition, but you could count on him not to let it keep him from his duties, come rain, hail or shine.

"I’m coming, I’m coming, hold yer horses." A cracked, quavery voice floated to Gavin and Syrawenn from behind the gates, and moments later they swung open smoothly to reveal a bald, liver-spotted monk dressed in a simple brown robes worm by most of the inhabitants of the Abbey. He let go of the lever that operate the gate machinery, straightened up and beamed at them, revealing long yellow teeth.

"Ah, it’s you two! Welcome to the Abbey good pilgrims. Come in, come in, you've been expected."

Looking around, he spotted Galaena watching the arrivals and waved at the the flamed haired healer to come over.

"Sister Galaena, is that you? Have you got anything else to be doing right now? The Abbott wishes to see our visitors immediately at the Hall of Rowan and I am hoping you might take them. I'd bring them along myself but my knees, well, you know they just aren't what they used to be..."
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena watched as the old monk made his way to the door, opening it. Her eyes moved over him for a moment, deciding to try a new recipe for a poultice she had found in one of the records that might help ease some of the stiffness in his joints. But then, he was calling her over, pulling her out of her mental assessment.

"I would be happy to help, Brother Alphan," she said calmly, placing her basket over her arm and moving to greet their visitors. "Hello. As you probably heard the good brother mention, I am Gaelena." She paused a moment to allow them to give their names, her expression serene, even if her hair was not. Some of the curls had broken free and were waving about her face.

"Please, follow me," she said, trying to keep her curiosity in check.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Grinning as Syrawenn pulled the cord again, Gavin took the time as they waited to observe the surrounding area, brushing his bare fingertips over the surface of the door, drawing the hand back as the monk called from the other side. It was the words the man spoke once the door was opened that caused a low rumble to sound in the big man's chest, emerging as a growl from his throat. Nonetheless he stepped in, glancing both sides first, wary of potential surprises. His fingers flexed in a slow rhythm, clenching and unclenching into a fist, but he said nothing nor did he make any move other that glance at first the monk and then Gaelena remaining quiet.

A slow gaze traveled over the Abbey yard before it stopped on the female healer once more. "I'm Gavin. This is Syrawenn. We need to talk to a priest of Mother." There was a short pause before he added. "Honored to meet you, Gaelena. Please, lead the way." As they started walking he slowed down to pull level with Syra so he could whisper to her ear. "I don't like this you are expected stuff. Keep on your toes."
Last edited by Gavin Tylvan on Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn tried to keep up a pretense of innocence as she grinned back, but failed hopelessly.

The door opened and the words sent a shiver down her spine.

Expected? Oh damn right we're expected! An guess what, yer gonna find us most unpredictable soon!

She was tempted to join in the growl. With a jolt the girl remembered another scene from that future dream: Gavin calling her she-wolf, challenging her. Blinking her eyes she straightened her back. This was the time nor the place to revert back to a pattern that had not yet come into existance.

"Mornin!" Syra tipped her nonexistant hat. "Lovely day for a visit. Great weather. Guess that's all ya can expect when bein expected, eh? If it had rained, we might not have come today an boy THAT sure woulda rained on yer parade!"

Not caring much if she made sense or not the hyperactive youngster stepped in and nodded at Gavin. As he might notice, she had not only picked up on the expectancy, but had tripped over it and sent it flying.

"So, Gaelena, ya live here? Yer a Mother person? Or is it just coincidence yer here?"
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena watched the pair, her expression changing for a moment at the very bizarre ways Gavin and Syrawenn were acting into one of confusion. It seems they didn't want to be expected. How very peculiar. Of course, the healer wasn't one to comment on people's ways, instead giving them both a placid smile and a nod. "A pleasure to meet you both," she said as they started walking.

She noted the whisper, but didn't hear the words. A mental shrug and it was forgotten, her mind focused once again on remembering the path. "What? I am a follower of the Mother, but not one of the members of the monastery. I'm here learning the craft of healing." She showed the basket with its multitude of herbs. "Forgive me for my rudeness, but you don't seem to want to be here. Why are you here, if I may ask?"

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Despite his tension, Gavin glanced into the basket in Gaelena's hands, examining the herbs and trying to identify a few from his past experience. Still looking into the basket, he murmured in response. "Your not rude. We don't mind the questions. Just when we have to provide the answers and we don't want to." He glanced at Syra and then back at the healer, remaining silent for a flicker. "We want to be here. We just don't like the whole You are expected thing. Getting kinda old. People keep knowing we are coming before we do. Ruins the surprise."

Then with a softer voice he added. "We did not tell anyone we were coming here. So, how can they expect us then? Whole thing starting to look way off real fast." A glance at Syra with a quick question. "Another dream perhaps? I can't make out the difference no more." With a shrug he turned back to Gaelena as if the interruption did not happen at all. "We need to talk to a priest of Mother. About old rituals. We can raise the stones up, but we kinda think it won't be enough. Must be a ritual or something that needs to be done to make them work. You know. Like when you use a spark to light a lamp and then it glows afterward?"
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

In the basket, Gavin would notice some common herbs, such as jasmine, rosemary, chamomille and lavender. Also there were some other herbs, used in more delicate concoctions, like fox glove and stinging nettle. As he spoke, one flame colored brow rose as a look of confusion stole back on to her face. "You told no one you were coming? How very peculiar," she answered, her brow knitting as she tried to decipher the cause of it.

"The stones? I am afraid since being brought here, I haven't had a chance to explore the area. What stones are you referring to?" First, as a captive then as a student, Gaelena had spent all of her time in the monastery, studying. "But if anyone can help you, its the Lord Abbot," she added, confident in her words.

Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The youngster shrugged. There was no telling which was the dream and which wasn't anymore. Everyone around them seemed to know everything at all times anyway and yet was strangely reluctant to part with that knowledge, leaving them that familiar fleeting feeling of not really being a part of anything.

"What's so peculiar about not tellin some monestary in some place about comin or not? It ain't like we're carryin pigeons around. Do all visitors somehow manage to get in advance notice then? In that case I sure wanna know how they manage that. Would be cool to have a bath and a bed ready before arrivin at the inn."

At the mention of a man in charge of the Mother's monestary Syrawenn's eyebrows shot up. Used as she was to the very limited humanity of any men serving Dominicus the girl had a huge blind spot when it came to men serving any religion. In her view they were all fanatics, uncapable of independant thought unless it was about re-stating all religious aspects to suit their selfish needs.

"Lord abbot, eh?" She steeled herself for yet another disappointment. "Oh, we're talkin about them huge standin stones which are lyin stones right now. Err, not as in not truthful, but as in lyin down, ya know? An that can't be right. So..lessee what mister Abbot has to say about it then."
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

The tone the two visitors were using with her struck a cord within the normally placid healer. Her frown returned, stronger now. "No, not all visitors are known before they arrive," she replied, the frown echoed in her voice. "And forgive me for not knowing about the stones. I am not from around here." She walked for a few steps then stopped and turned to look at Gavin and Syrawenn.

"Have I done something to offend you?," she asked abruptly. She simply couldn't comprehend what she might have done, but they seemed angry at her for some reason.

Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Beyond the gates, the Abbey grounds opened up to reveal several ancient buildings - each of which seemed decorated with the themes of nature. The oldest had incorporated various living and dead tree species in the designs.

Around them, patches of grass and cultivated and uncultivated garden took up the spaces where light filtered in through the branches of the many trees. Most of those walking about seemed to have some purpose, and most were dressed in robes: some of brown, some of green, red or white. Graying or bald heads were all around, with only the occasional young man or woman scattered about.

The trio’s path took them to a two-storey building on the west side of the Abbey grounds. Fresh leaves were budding on the pair of young rowan trees that flanked the entrance to the Hall.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gaelena's words had Gavin pausing, turning first to glance at Syrawenn a single brow reaching up, almost too high, the big man tilting his head to the side slightly. "Offend us?" A pause and then he added. "Dunno. You think you did something that might offend us? Cause, we kinda just met you and you've been nice so far, so unless you did something we don't know, and which might offend us, then I don't think you did." The words flowed simply, without much effort, the man's mind working in such a way that what he said was a picture perfect image of his thoughts, and he allowed them to become public without sifting and making them less chaotic for others.

He grinned for a flicker and as the grin faded, added with a sigh, a simple explanation that might have the opposite effect. "Sorry if we sound snappy, but lately wherever we go weird things happen. People keep trying to manipulate us and often we come and we end up being expected even though we told nobody we were coming. And when you mix in demons, weird dreams, walking trees, dying islands, walking dead, mute shamans and all the rest, it ain't easy to be nice and polite." He glanced at the door and motioned with his chin. "We need to talk to Abbot or someone who knows rituals. Bunch of old holy sites was torn down and it is making Dort die. And we can't just pick them up since we figure you need to perform a ceremony to wake them up. And these folks here are priests of Mother and they have those ancient books that might have something about that."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn threw a thumb at Gavin. "What he said. I'm goddamn sick an tired of everyone playin omnisucker while in fact nobody knows anything or at least refuses to tell the FEW people that are willin to help. I dunno on which side ya are. I'll find out no doubt. Yer okay until ya prove not to be okay. So, that's all there is to it. An yeah, I'm pissed off. Generally."

The girl watched the rowan tree, reminded of another place in time and space where the rowan tree had been the sign of Mother's avatar.

Wonder if we're gonna end up with nothin here too. Too much of that, everywhere. It's like no one friggin cares about anythin but themselves. I dunno if I wanna be in a world like that. Then this had better be the dream. I'm fed up with gettin nowhere.

Her train of thought showed on her face as grey eyes turned an angry shade of green. She tried very hard to keep her temper, not wanting to blow their chances before they got there.

Cheat the dice...we can do it...cheat the goddamn dice an do somethin useful for a change.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

When they finally stepped in, they discovered more half-budding rowan bushes standing on the inside of the Hall, in the centre and the corners of the lower level. While floors were sheathed in white marble, the walls were covered in panels of polished wood with carved rowan withies loosely woven into an interlaced total. Those looking closely would also see runic carvings on the wooden beams that supported the ceiling and on the walls, similar to those found at the Redwood gates.

The trio found the hall largely empty of monks, most having left to join the morningtide’s prayers. Normally the Abbot would have been have been leading the rites himself – but evidently he considered this particular meeting to be of greater importance as they found him waiting for them, examining one of the shrubs with some concern.

“Ah, Galaena, thank you for escorting our guests to these halls," he called out, turning from the plant as they arrived, and crossing the floor to greet them. "You may join us if you wish, although if you have other tasks to attend to I quite understand. Blessed be, pilgrims," he said, turning to Gavin and Syrawenn. "I am the Abbott of the Abbey. I understand that you come with a matter of some urgency? Your coming was heralded by the Wyrd but very little else… I’m afraid I cannot be sure who you are or even what brings you here."

He stopped before them and inclined his head towards some pews set up around the rowan in the centre of the room. A wooden tray of fruit juice and flat brown bread sat waiting for them. "Please, sit and refresh yourselves," the Abbot invited Gavin and Syrawenn. "When you are ready, I am most curious to learn why the Mother has guided your path to our doors in these strange times.”

Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena listened to the pair and nodded. So they weren't mad at her but at the curious events occurring around them. And from the sounds of it, they had every right. So once again her features returned to their normal, placid stated. "Then your irritation is completely understandable," she said with a nod. She took no offense at it, since she now knew it wasn't directed at her.

As they walked, she continued speaking. "I do hope I prove to be okay, as you say, and will try to prove it to you. Perhaps I will be able to help in your quest," she said as they walked the quiet halls. The Mother had placed her on this path for a reason, putting her at the doorway just as the pair arrived. Surely that was a sign.

With the arrival of the Lord Abbot, she nodded and replied, "I would like to stay, if that is alright with you." She was looking at Gavin and Syrawenn when she spoke, leaving her continued presence up to them.

Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn nodded. It was refreshing to have someone around who was not intent on taking everything as personal as humanly -the youngster quickly checked Gaelena for Adhiel features....yup, human- possible.

"Sure, stick around. Could use a hand here an there, I bet." She looked up at Gavin, not really expecting anything else from him. Despite their many differences there was a scary train of thought that they both seemed to follow.

On second thought....heh...she looks a bit like that avatar...goddamn she's tall. That's funny. That's very funny. Is this someone up there laughing at us again?

"Geez, look at all the rowans..." The girl mumbled to no one in particular. There was simply something about that tree that she liked. Maybe it was because it could grow just about anywhere, sturdy and stubborn. Or maybe because when it lost it's leaves in winter, there were still the red berries to remind people of who they were. Maybe it was even the fact that with the rowan tree almost featuring in her name she had used it regularly as an alias. Either way she thought it was a fitting tree to like.

The new voice startled her. Quickly Syrawenn recovered and nodded at the greeting. "Hiya mister. That's Gavin, I'm Syra." She dropped herself in front of the tray and eyed it while wetting her lips. "Yeah...Mother has her ways, eh?You could say we got no time to loose....see, it all started back then in the future past..."

She frowned, then shrugged and continued. "When I met this gal from the Mom and she told us to go save Dort and all that crap, but what I did not know was that Gavin was in fact doing the same thing in a different somewhen and -where and yet it all fell through. Nothing worked. An now I been thinking that that was not really an illness as such, ya know, but more a prophecy-thingie that had to do with the goddamn stones being torn down! You DO know the stones are down, don'tcha? Or did the wyrdling not tell ya?"

The girl tilted her head, suddenly weary of all the information she was giving out at once. "ANYway..." That bread looked delicious. "So now Dort is going down with it. An that's not our basic idea of fun, an everyone's tellin us to just let it happen an nothin can be done an we're too late an they know everything but won't tell us or know nothin an don't tell us anyway an blablabla. Basically, those stones gotta go UP before it's too late an maybe YOU can help us with that! If anyone knows about Mom's deals with the sea an the storms an lords an all tha stuff than it should be you!"

Syrawenn straighted her back, one hand folding over a piece of bread and pulling it in. "An we ain't too bad at strikin deals. Just lousy at it without the right information. So....wanna get in on savin yer town?"
Last edited by Syrawenn on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin merely smiled at Gaelena's words and spoke in a somewhat hushed tone. "That's the point. You don't have to prove anything to us. It ain't a competition and we ain't in school or anything. You just listen and ask questions when you don't understand, and speak when you think and if you agree with what we try to do then we work together. Simple." As they stepped into the hall he did no observe the surroundings much, focusing quickly on the figure of the Abbot, brows furrowing every so slightly.

It seemed that there had been no mistake and that they were indeed expected, the tall warrior sighing and nodding silently at Syra's words. "Just so you don't ask too many questions, we are here to ask for your help. Kinda. As Syra said some men toppled down a bunch of stones that were holy places of Mother and we think it is making the Isle of Dort die. At least that is what Milkhaire showed us. And I am inclined to believe him. So, what we need to do is to raise the stones again, only Vaga Hex said it won't be much good. And while we trust her too......" He paused, realizing he was beginning to sound like Syrawenn and while there was nothing wrong with that, it was a bit difficult to follow the line of thought if it was explained that way.

"Okay. Gonna start again. See, Dort is in trouble. As I said some stones were toppled and that caused Koreymen to die, because they were linked to the circles. But, the influence is bigger. Seems like not only the Koreymen died, but the entire island is going to follow soon if something is not done. Now, there lays the problem. We can and we will raise the stones up again, but it can't be that simple. If it were, then anybody could have done it and there would be a whole lot of them stone circles around. And there aren't that many." Pausing he drew a deep breath to prepare for the next part of the explanation. "Anyhow, what we are trying to find is the way to awaken those stones once we raise them and we can't do that. The stone circles were holy places of Mother and you are something of a chief Mother priest around. Or something like that. Now, we have an opposing opinions on that. Milkhaire, shaman of the MacGregor Clan in Islay thinks it needs to be done since the island is dying and it started when the stones were toppled. And that is why we are doing this, cause we believe him. On the other hand, there is an old woman called Vaga Hex, living outside of Dort, who says that it is not use and that all we can do is make a shelter. Which is really fine, but before we give up on the Save the whole island idea, we would like to give it a try. We can always build shelter later. So, this is where you come in. We get people to put the stones up, and then you and your lot come and do the rituals to awaken them. You do know how to do that? Sure, it is old stuff, ancient even, but you're the priests. And if you forgot, then you ought to know someone who did not." Pausing, he glanced at Syrawenn asking a simple questions as if they were the only two people in the room. "You know, Syra, if all the people who knew how to do this stuff are dead, maybe we can ask them anyhow. I know dead people can talk, and they can be either long dead and like ghosts, or be more fleshy and alive looking. I met both of those and they talked and warned me twice already."
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

The Abbott’s eyebrows knitted in bewilderment as Syrawenn spoke. Clearly he was having difficulty following her explanation, looking to Gavin and Galaena as though they might provide some kind of translation. “Storms?” he asked before Gavin clarified the matter for him somewhat. When the big man was finished he nodded and bowed his head, gathering his thoughts before he spoke again.

“We have known of the Stone Circles for some time,” he confirmed. “One of our priestesses, a dwarf by the name of Avi-Ralin Truesilver, was with its guardian when the first of them fell. And a weakening in the Wyrd has troubled our halls ever since, although we did not at first make the connection.” He reached out to touch the closest rowan sadly – on some of its branches, the young leaves had withered before they had time to grow.

“Believe me when I tell you, I understand the we have been searching for a way to restore the Stones. The brothers and sisters of the order have spent many nights searching our archives for writings on their history. As hard as we have tried, I am afraid to tell you, we only found one reference,” the Abbott said grimly. “These stories truly are lost. The Pecunians made sure of it.”

It is said that history is written by the victors. It is certainly true that of the three major cultures of Dort, the Pecunian colonists have seized the greatest military and political might, and it is their accounts of the nation’s past that are the most comprehensively recorded and widely known across Tazlure. Their civilization of the backward Midland families and the savage tribes of Islay brought security and prosperity to the Isle – but as Syrawenn, Galaena and Gavin were about to learn – this civilization had come at a price.

“After the death of Charlesmagne the first, the dwarves withdrew to Nazareen and the Pecunians began expanding their colonies from their first settlement in Dort. Back then the families of the Midlands weren’t the gentle people we know now. They practiced… blood magic. Sacrifices were made upon the Stones… not only of beasts but of men… women and children. In the name of the Mother. And when the colonists discovered this… there were deaths. In the thousands.”

Although the Abbott’s face was calm, his halting speech showed traces of horror at the events he was relating.

“The Midlanders were never any match for the colonists, and for years, followers of the Old Religion were executed even though very few ever knew or took part in those rites. You might find their spirits in the Hall of Thorns. It is not impossible. But even if you learned the Stone rituals… who would we find who could bring themselves to carry them out?”

The Abbot shook his head. “The Old Ways are forgotten by the living, and perhaps it is for the best. We can find another way to renew the life-force of Dort. Did the Milkhaire and Vaga Hex have anything else to say? What are these storms and pacts you speak of? And koreymen.” He frowned. “They wouldn’t happen to be… fairies, would they?”

Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Gaelena listed to the confusing words of Syrawenn and then the not so confusing words of Gavin, her eyes widening as he spoke of ghosts in the flesh, her own mind going back to the little gir in Pax. For a moment, her eyes clouded as memory hit her. The screams and the large ghost wolf and the eerie child who spoke without speaking. The man with the sword in the bakery. Yes, ghosts could be quite real, even leaving behind their swords. She gave a small shiver, bringing herself back to the present.

"Father? These are old stones. They might only understand the old ways. The reference you found, what did it say? Did it give any clues as to how the ritual might have been performed? As for someone to perform the ritual, the Mother will provide that person, certainly," she said, her belief deep rooted.

Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Syrawenn snapped out of the story, around to Gaelena. "As IF!" She growled. "Nuh-uh! Old ways are over and done with. There's reasons for those deals in the past, just like there's reasons we need a new deal now. An with a new deal comes new ways. There ain't gonna be no people cuttin throats on new stones if I can help it!"

She turned back to the abbot. "Koreymen don't fly. They can't be faeries. They's small an earthy...well...yea...they's humps of earth walkin around. An they were very sad about the stones. One of em brought us to the clans to tell them about it. But the clans wouldn't listen. An then the Koreyman went down too. So now we don't have proof. An the pact is somethin that Vaga told us, about old deals bein made between Mother and others. So yeah, we need a new way, I agree. An I'm sure Gavin can explain more clearly. I'm just addin stuff fer the entertainment value."

It was the logical conclusion. He simply was more clear when it came to explaining things. And just as before people had not often believed Syrawenn due to her usual rambling, so it was wise to point to the back up forces. He believed her. She knew he did.

Waiiiiit a moment, what's that about dead people?

"Hold on, Gav, just because they're dead, don't mean they're smart. They's just as limited as we are. So how about we try it with the livin first so we can do it in a new way, eh? Instead of gettin a bunch of old geezers tellin us ways that don't fit this world anymore."
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Syra always provided the best distractions, and though this one was relevant to the discussion, the way he turned to face her while the priest and Gaelena were still there was anything but polite. "Well, sure, but it is better to try and reason with dead people than with ancient beings who ask for three curses to be suffered before they agree to a pact. At least dead people are.... well, dead and they aren't eating away on the island." He shrugged and scowled for a flicker, before turning to the other two, trying to be a bit more sensible and less confusing.

"It is Milkhaire that warned us of the decaying of the island. He sent us to see if we can help, and we.... well, I remembered Vaga from before and thought she might be able to help. And in a way she did." He was trying to explain something he too did not understand completely and that was a torture. "In ancient time Mother made a pact with a being of power called the Storm Lord. An ancient spirit who claimed the island from the Lord of Sea." It felt odd explaining religion to a priest and acolyte, the fact that he was telling them a story of their own Goddess making the whole mess even more absurd. "Mother wanted people to be safe from the spirit's wrath and she made a pact with him. And she created an ancient spirit of her own, a guardian of sorts to look over the island so the pact could endure. A being called Aetya, from whom the people of old learned secrets of stone and sea and created elder circles. But, she died a few months ago. Syrawenn was there when it happened."

Gavin sighed and looked at Gaelena his steely blue eyes staring into hers for several flickers. "Vaga also said that a new pact could be made. But those that make it would have to suffer three curses. One of shame, one of pain and one of blood. Once these are made the Storm Lord will have no choice but to make a new pact. Only..... Aetya might still be alive. A friend named Gwayne said that he had seen so in a dream and if that is true..... Maybe when she died the first time the pact got undone. And someone else will be made the guardian when new pact is made." He looked to the Abbot. "How long had the island decayed? When did you notice the signs?"

OOC: Pardon the delay, but I needed a bit more info.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

The priest answered Gavin’s last question first as it was the easiest to address.

“We first noticed what we thought was a blight in the Hall of Willows last Samheen, around the twenty-second day of the month, I think. Very shortly after the Stone Circles were destroyed and around the time the troubles in Nazareen began. Throughout the winter there were no further signs of the disease but with the arrival of spring, we have been hearing reports of a similar affliction across the Northlands. I have sent a warning to the capital. I fear it may have been lost amidst the other conflicts and concerns affecting this country, but they cannot ignore it for long,” His mouth set in a grim line. “Erwin depends on the richness of the land for his continued prosperity, far more than he realises.”

“However, if this tale you have been told is true, this waning strength in the Wyrd is not the only threat to Dort. If I understand you correctly, then the shattering of the Stones, the death of the koreyman and the apparent death of Aetya are somehow also related to the increasing power of a storm spirit.” He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, exhaling slowly.

“Thanks be to the Goddess,” he whispered. “She has not abandoned us after all. This must be why she bade me listen to you. Your warning changes everything.”

When the Abbott opened his earth-brown eyes again they were renewed with bleak determination and purpose.

“We cannot afford to act as though we had a high chance of restoring the stones and stopping this Storm Lord. It took a Goddess to protect the Isle the first time. We cannot give up hope, but we must be practical. If we cannot fortify ourselves against the storms, then Dort must be evacuated. And we must use every avenue of help that is offered to us.”

He turned to Galaena.

“Sister Denaro, if your faith is strong enough… then will you walk the Thorns? Learn the rituals. Find a soul so true in their belief of the Mother that they would give their life to restore the stones and save this Isle. A blood sacrifice goes against everything that Finn O’Shea, the founder of this Abbey, wrote about the Wyrd and the Mother,” he said sadly. “I find it hard to believe that this is what she would want… but you might be right.”

Folding his arms, he turned again to face Gavin and Syrawenn. “Your paths, I’m afraid, are not so clear, if you seek to bargain with this Storm Lord. Vaga Hex's traditions are ancient indeed... they are confusing to us, as they come from a time when physical events in stories were often used to express deeper truths. It may be difficult to separate the literal parts of the tale from the metaphor - but have faith. The Goddess will continue to guide us."

He bowed his head contemplatively, then another question occurred to him.

"Do you know, at least, where this storm spirit might be found?”

OOC:*cough*link*cough*

Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Listening to the Abbot's story, Gaelena's brows furrowed as she thought back over her time in the abbey. How had she missed that? It was understandable, though, her mind focusing on learning about healing of people, not the land. But now her need to heal was focused there.

The Abbot's question had her looking up and nodding. "Yes, Father, I will take the walk and find some of the old souls to tell me the ritual of the stones," she replied, then looked at Gavin and Syra, her expression determined. "They are but one option. If you find a way that can better suit the world we live in today, then by all means, we shall use that one. But sometimes the old ways are the best ways."

Return to “Dort Archive”