Tapestry Patrol (Chyril 25 NT)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Bernice Potts
Civus

Tapestry Patrol (Chyril 25 NT)

Post by Bernice Potts »

She spiked her hair slightly with fat in order to make her hair look shorter and washed off her make up, taking off her copper earrings and placing them with the rest of her personal stuff. Looking at herself in the reflection of her dagger, she realized why the one hooker was flirting with her so much.

She'd flirt with herself too if she knew how good looking she was as a man.

Putting on her helmet, she sheathed the dagger into her side sheath and went outside to pick up the halberd she was training with. She made for a very good clean-cut guardsman. Her uniform was pressed, her boots were polished, and she spent the time after practice to grease and care for her leather armor. She even made sure that the halberd she used was cleaned off and polished before making her way to Sergeant Dawry to see if he had any errands he needed her to run. If not, she would take a once around Dort for 'patrol', particularly the Tapestry Quarter. It would be the first place to get the skinny on a merchant without asking too many questions.

She had no idea whether or not he had an office yet or not, but she had a feeling that he was the charming fellow training people outside when she first entered... then again, there was more than one sergeant around this place. How she was going to spy on him while inside the guard was going to be interesting, but if he was 'gray' as the captain said, he'd likely have contact on the inside. Dropping his name and seeing what happens would be interesting if she got into a tight spot.
Last edited by Bernice Potts on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adanedhel
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Adanedhel »

As Bernice came outside, a passing patrol greeted her and the lieutenant marching with them halted while the guards kept going. "Potts, Dawry was asking for you. He said he hated to be kept waiting when new personnel should be introducing themselves. You better make way there." he said and paused for a moment. "You were with Kragen's meeting yesterday, right? Anyway, same building, down the hall, first office on your left. It says Dawry on the door, can't miss. Have a nice first day, guard." he said and saluted her with a grin on his face.

(Assuming you go to the office of Sgt. Dawry is the following part. If not, please disregard it.)

The door to sergeant Dawry's office was plain oak and his name was on a little silver sign on the door. Behind the door, Bernice heard someone getting up from a chair and a male voice saying "Yes, sir. Instant delivery. Docks, harbourmaster. Will do, sir." and footsteps neared the door.

As the door opened, she saw a guard coming out, redheaded, "Please go in. He's not in any mood today. Gonna be a tough one. Take care, lass.".

The office was quite simple. It contained a desk, two chairs, a few bookshelves, a small safe and various writing utensils. At the desk sat a middle aged burly man with the chevrons of a sergeant on his shoulders. His hair was dark and short, and he was unshaven. Probably by a few days already by the looks of it.

"Potts?! Come in! Tell me, why are you late? And do some introduction of yourself please, so I know who's been added on message duty!" he shouted at her. His eyes met hers and seemed to try to pierce through them, as if he was looking right into her soul.
Something wicked your way comes...

Posting rate: 2/week

Special:
[b]OOECP[/b] - [i]Grant[/i]ed by Maeve & Sosa
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

Having a feeling she'd be in the wringer, she did have a slight sheepish look on her face. Regardless, she met his gaze with a salute and a heart of confidence. She knew she made a mistake, but if she was going to be a messenger, she thought she did something half-right. She was at least done up right and not a slob who came right after exercise.

"My mistake, sir! I was advised by Duncan to get riding lessons during orientation. Once I heard I would be your messenger, I believed it important to get those lessons before going on my first assignment in the case we needed haste. That, and I thought I should clean up from exercise before meeting you for the first time. I'll take better care of protocol in the future, sir."
Last edited by Bernice Potts on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

Dawry smiled. "You'll get by, Potts. You will in time. Have a seat." he said and indicated the chair opposite him with his hand. "Letter duty has quite a lot of freedoms I always say. We have loads of time, take care of messages that have to be delivered through official channels and we do some tax collecting now and then. Taxes will come in due time, but for now, I want you to focus on those messages. Some might be spoken, some in letters with adresses on them. Can you read, Potts?"

He was very to the point in dealing with his newest recruit and how upset he may have been before, he didn't show it any of that anymore.

"Today will be your first day and I would like you to just get a hang of the city streets and the various people that you deem important enough to get letters from us. Always easy to know where to find them by heart. Report back to me at say... early tradetide? I will have your first assignment then. All small of course and you can do it at your leisure."

He cupped his hands together and looked over Bernice's uniform with a satisfactory look in his eyes. "Any question, guard?"

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

Potts was inwardly relieved that the man had calmed down. The last thing she needed was an earful and a half, but her thoughts went back to that messenger who was going to the harbor master. It would be too obvious if she went there first, so she would go there after the Tapestry Quarter.

"Uhm... it'd take me a flicker er' two longer than most people, but yeah, I can read enough to mark me name and read signs. Other than that, who all would be the regulars in getting messages around? Likely the Knot, docks, and Tapestry Quarter since we seem to have a lot of our boys there to begin with."

Potts thought for a moment about what other questions she might have, particularly with the circumstances around. This guard gig was more than just being a messenger, but she pondered what else would be required of her. That halberd of hers needed some fine-tuning before taking on someone serious. Her eyes looked to the ceiling in thought, trying to cover every possible calamity which might happen.

"If I see a crime in progress while out and about, does the message take first priority? Who would I report to if, say, some pickpocket snatched something while I was delivering something?"
Last edited by Bernice Potts on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

"No problem, we'll teach you up to it so you can read the adresses." Dawry said, as he rubbed his chin. "Regulars would be the Docks, specifically the harbourmaster, ship captains and a few of the bigger warehouses and in the tapestry quarter most any trader. There will also be messages to the palace or the Sunny barracks. As for the Knot. We don't go there, lass. Out of bounds for us messengers. Even the usual patrols don't go there if they don't really have to. Far to dangerous for us, you see. Sometimes a squad of Sunfires goes in, do their thing as quick as they can and head back out."

As Bernice wondered about her questions, the sergeant was already rummaging in his drawers of his desk, grumbling something under his breath. He looked up, frozen in time, as he heard the question.

"Well Potts, whaddya think yourself? We are guards after all. What do you think our primary task would be? Anyway, if there is a message that has priority over petty crimes, I'll be sure to tell you. Anything else, lady?"

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

Bernice felt a little sheepish at that last one, as it seemed too obvious, but she never knew. She shrugged helplessly while giving a matching grin. Her helmet was on, but her eyes were once again honest. She was so wet behind the ears, and she knew it, but she was willing to do her best.

"Didn't know if there was a system in place in the case I get inta anyone else's way. Not too sure if the guard had set rules on who takes care of what area. I never really paid much attention to the guardsmen until the funeral of Capin' Willows... kinda sobered me up ta hope that I can do somethin' to keep the peace when everything seems ta be going to the nether... particularly after the riots."

She sighed, getting back to all seriousness. Trying to think of any other questions for him, she rested her hands back into her lap.

"Any other places I shouldn't be, sir?"
Last edited by Bernice Potts on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

Dawry presented her with a warm smile, for after all, he knew he had been the same a long time ago. "It's the same reason I joined back in the days, Potts. However, sometimes an incident might wound you so much you will be tied to desk duty the rest of your life. You can only make the best of it then. And yes, we do keep the peace after the riots, but the Knot is just a no go. How valiant you think you are doesn't care, result would be that everyone thinks of you as stupid if you'd even try. Apart from that you can go anywhere you like really, but that uniform of yours will not make friends in houses of ill repute."

"If there's nothing else you want to know, you are dismissed." he said, putting a pile of papers on his desk.

"Oh, and about the riots. I've been with the guard for many a year now, and trust me, we haven't seen half of it yet. The worst has yet to come.", his voice stern, his face grim.

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"With the idiots lookin' for that bounty, I'm sure you have your hands full with would-be slayers who are lookin' to get themselves killed for a purse like that. Here's hopin' that we don't have to clean up some mess that a bounty man leaves because he thought someone looked like the wanted poster... or worse... some idiot tries to fly solo and walks into the rough side of town."

She stretched her arms and legs before standing up and saluted to her superior with a nod.

"I'll get to roaming right away, sir. Getting my reading warmed up on the signs will help things sink in, I'm sure. I'll report in on time this next time, unless I find out something serious enough. If that happens, I'll send word from one with one of our other boys."

With that, she turned to leave so she could begin her patrol. Picking up her Halberd, she began to make her way out of the barracks. She had an old map of town which she had from home which helped her with reading in the past. She would pause right outside the gates to get a gist of the words again and the feel of the town. She knew the main streets like the back of her hand, but the side streets were something she didn't pay much notice. She could use all the shortcuts in the world during this job. After a few burns, she put the map back on her person, she headed out in the direction of the Tapestry Quarter.

The Tapestry Quarter is full of busy activity. In nearly every house a farmer behind his loom is working busily at a pre-ordered tapestry. The stench of wool, dye and a foul mixture to fix the endresults, is invading, though the people who live here have forgotten the smell. In large tubs in the streets both wool and cloth is died by people dancing on it with their feet. The color never washes off their legs, permanently staining them. Tapestries along with all kinds of cloth are on sale here in several merchant houses. Tailors line every corner so the fashionable Dortenese can assure their clothes have a perfect fit.

Ah... she knew that smell well. Even with her helmet on, she remembered doing some of the soft-leather deliveries for her in-laws. Not only that, but rushing over pots from her family's pottery store for use in the dyes and for water to customers around these parts. She let her voice relax a bit in the case that someone would recognize her, but she hadn't been around this part of town much since she was attacked and ridden in bed. Some who would know her as a child may not recognize her now.

She wondered where to start looking for ol' Granger without looking like she was looking for him. The first inclination was to go looking for trouble without starting it. Her halberd at her side would likely prevent much of that as long as she walked with that military step and standing up straight like her mother used to tell her.

Bloody nether... now was not the time to be homesick after being gone for only a few tides!
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

The sergeant looked with awe at Bernice, his mouth half open as if he wanted to say something. He shook his head and laughed, before returning the salute. "Potts, I know Kragen wants us to behave all neat and according to guard etiquette, but as long as there are no outsiders present, you don't have to salute me. Just call me Sergeant or Dawry, that'll be just fine in my ways of etiquette. Now be off and about, I've got more to do today, and so do you." he said, and gave a wink before returning to the papers on his desk.

[hr][/hr]

The map Bernice held in her hands showed a pretty good plan of the city, although she could see that some streets were gone, and others weren't on this old map yet. It did show a fair portion of the alleyways and small paths between buildings that could be used as shortcuts, but by the looks of it, it couldn't be all of them, and maybe some were different even by now.

Most of the shops that lined the streets here were the same she had seen during the errands she ran in the past, although many of the personnel working in the shops had aged or had even been replaced by a younger generation.

The people cluttering the streets greeted the lone guard as she wandered the streets. No one spoke to her directly, nor did any try to get her attention.

Some twenty feet in front of her, a tailor got out of his shop, dragging a boy behind him by his shirt. The man grabbed a nice blue coat out of the boys arms and pointed at him, bringing his head close to the boy's. "Now you listen up, brat! If ever you try to steal any of my wares again, I'll deliver you to the City Watch myself! I'll make sure your mother gets to hear this! Now be off!" he shouted, the boy shivering in front of him, scurrying away frightened in Potts direction as soon as the man had finished.
Last edited by Adanedhel on Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

Nodding in return to getting greeted, she kept a watchful eye as she went around. It was then she noticed the poor kid trying to yank something from a tailor, but he seemed to have everything handled. The kid needed to learn, however, not to do that again. The last thing the world needed was more children growing up to be gang members instead of respectable members of the community.

As to not frighten the lad, she got on one knee as he ran in her direction to get to his same level as she spoke so she wouldn't be as intimidating. Her voice was a gentle but firm maternal or big sisterly tone as her eyes softened under her helmet, trying to reach the gaze of the boy as he was running.

"Hey! Hey hey hey, there. C'mere, lad. I won't bite ye, or take you away, but we need ta 'ave a talk."

Just being in front of him might frighten him further, but she had to at least make the effort to get him to stop on his own will first. She raised her hand in a calm stop position, but also in a calming gesture to try and get the boy to at least know she wasn't going to do anything harmful to him. She remembered when her own brothers got in trouble for bullying and how her parents dealt with that mess. The halberd she had, however, would likely not help the situation, but at least she had it at ease and in no position to attack anyone.
Last edited by Bernice Potts on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

The boy slowed his pace as Bernice called out to him. In his tethered clothes, barefooted, he walked in her direction. His face defiant and his tone belittling. By the looks of it, he was about twelve or maybe fourteen years of age. "Aye, do ye? Why's that? Ye think I be afraid o' ye?" he said mockingly, his hands raised into the air, wiggling them, rolling his eyes.

"Yer just a watchgirl. Can't do me no harm. 'N if ye do, me father's gonna get ye. He's important in the Knot y'know! He'll get to ye before ye can say supercalifragilisticexpialidocius! Now try breaking yer tongue o'er that 'un." he continued after a short pause, walking up to her, bring his face close to her. "So? Whaddya wanna say, lass?"

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

She smiled sweetly, unafraid of the boy in the tattered clothes. Heck, she wasn't even trying to be intimidating. Remembering her own brothers when they were kids, she laughed sweetly and shook her head at the energetic boy.

"I'm sure he is, lad. But there are better ways te find ye some new clothes then taking it from someone else. I ain't 'ere te take you away... but if ye know that yer father is important, ye could be doing a lot of better things for 'im. I can tell ye love and respect 'im a whole lot and fate ain't been kind, but I was yer age with two older brother's once tryin' te make ends meet. If you need somethin' te get yer family by on, or te at least get ye a pair of shoes, I have family who can get ye some odd jobs and keep ye out of trouble. Even if yer father can get even with a lot of people... I can't imagine my own family and how worried sick 'bout me they'd be. I don't want te do that to yer father either... would you?"

She couldn't do this with every urchin she ran across, but if this kid wasn't bluffing, it would earn her some respect points in the seedier side of town if she could get a kid an honest job and some food on his table without him having to worry so much. She may not like the gangs, but nobody deserved to see their kid in rags and fight their way to the top just to survive.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

Something in the boy changed. The smug look on his faced turned into a curious one and his eyes grew a bit. "Ye mean ye'd try t'get me a job? I mean... gettin' paid? Withou'ving ta steal the banners? Why'd ye be doin' that?" he said, and it was clear that he was interested in what Bernice had just told him.

"'N what kinna jobs ye be talkin' bout, lass? Jon ain't jus' workin' any job, y'know! Ye gotta be daft if ye thought so. 'N would I be able to get a decent meal once in a while? 'N new clothes? Me really needs the clothes, y'see. Cannae smile to girls when wearing anything like these." he asked, barely able to breath in between his questions.

The boy who had seemed so intent on running away from his petty theft gone awry was now so full of energy and enthusiasm he even came close without trying to be intimidating.

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"I've got a kid brother who's a little older than you. He an' his twin sister are about to grow up and be on their own soon. I don't want my own mum and pop to be lonesome once they go out on their own venture like me older brothers. They're potters and make jars of all sorts of colors and uses. I can talk to my in-laws if you think that's a sissy job, though. One brother is in smithing and another is with a leather working family."

There was a genuine care in her eyes when she looked at the boy. She raised a motherly finger at him without letting her smile fade.

"But the only catch is that ye can't steal any more. Now I understand you might need to act as yer pop's eyes and ears every once, but no snatching, alright? If ye promise on this, I can go ahead and get you cleaned up to meet my mother and father. I'm out walkin' the streets today, so I can stop by. They aren't far from here. If ye need, you can have my old room... I stay at the barracks these days."

She assumed his name was Jon, but waited until he felt enough trust with her before calling him anything, as she didn't know if he was going to bolt again at the prospect of not being able to steal. He'd learn a trade, learn to get some coin the right way, and get a family who could care for him.
Last edited by Bernice Potts on Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

Jon looked around a few times. "What're yer parents like? They be nice t'me? Will they know I've been goin' 'round stealin'? Can I still visit me parents? 'N do they make me work as much as they do in the Knot? Sometimes up t' fifteen marks a day? I'd rather be with yer folks probably." the little boy said.

"But how ye mean cleanin' me up? Don' I look good 'nuff? Ah well, guess it wouldn't be bad t' take a look eh? But what if they don't like me? I'd be in for shit, right?" he continued, concern and hesitance in his voice. Probably because charity was something quite unknown to him.

"If'n ye be nice 'n yer parents too, I might be able to help ye. I've got many a friend in the Knot y'know. I might be able to gather some information for ye, but only on those I don' like meself. And of course, I'd need a lil' bit of money to do so, but I'd make it worthwile."

Somehow, this boy seemed to cheer up in Bernice's company for now. How long it would take, no one could know, but for as long as it was this way, it could only get better.

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"Yer only in fer shit if ye betray their trust after ye say you wanna clean up. That's not something you do to people, and you'll hear a nice long song from me for it. It's not like we'll hate you for it, though, but we will make you shovel yer own shit. Me oldest brother had a gambling problem when he was a slight younger than I was and mum and dad still stuck with 'im. They didn't bail 'im out, but they at least left 'im a bread or two te remind 'im he still had family and he was loved even though he was doin' 'is time. Boy, did that ever clean 'im up good. So long as yer makin' the effort not te snitch anymore, then they should be all well about it. We'll clean you up at my house, as I'm sure my youngest brother's got some hand-me-downs your size. It ain't silk, but you can't be flirtin' well in rags, eh?"

Bernice winked at the boy with a smirk. She knew she'd never have kids of her own, so her maternal instincts were really kicking in with this poor lad. She would have him make contacts after he was situated and didn't need to steal anymore. It would earn her the respect on the other side that a guard would bother to take care of a gang member's son, and it would make it look like the guard actually gave a damn about the people.

"I don't want to get you in the middle of the shit I have to shovel myself... but once ye get situated with a job, I'll remember the offer. Right now, I want to get you into a place where the hours are less, the work is more fun, as well as profitable. Nobody your age deserves to be out on the street... if people would just work to offer a hand up to people, then we wouldn't 'ave to worry 'bout gangs, territory or that such."

She was so lost in her thoughts that she forgot to introduce herself. She laughed at herself and looked rather sheepish, rubbing the back of her helmeted head.

"Oy, lad! Forgot my name in all this fuddle! The name's Bernice!"
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

"Nah sure not, ma'am. Can't 'ave me running 'round in this shabby stuff with honest people. Gotta be lookin' righ' fine fer yer folks, y'know. I'll try ter do me best t'be honest, ye gotta trust me!" the little one said, frantically nodding his head.

"It's not that much shit though, ma'am. People try over there, in the Knot. It's just... y'know.. the Waterstreets... they rule it with an iron fist... or rather dagger if they get their chance. No way one would go against them. They'd cut 'em up for it. No way out of the business once yer in. I don' even know if me dad'll allow me to work fer yer parents, y'know. Understand why?" he explained, his head hanging down, shoulders slumped. The boy sure wanted to, but he couldn't betray his family. Not with all that goes down in the Knot.

"Well Bernice it is then!" he said, cheering up a bit. He made a small bow and said "Well met, milady.". Flushing, he shrugged and quickly added "Me mother taught me to always be respectful to people who're good. Guess she means people like you, don' ya think?"

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"Well, ye got a good mother at least..." Bernice smiled. "I try te be good myself. Sometimes I hit the keg when I'm depressed, but I try to stay outta trouble."

There was a sadness in her eyes, taking in what he was saying. She remembered when she got attacked and hoped that there would be another way to possibly bring down the crime around here. There might not be a peaceful solution right away, and she hated to use the kid, but if he had contacts, it might be wise to see if people were on the same page. She got closer to Jon and spoke a little lower as they walked.

"There's more shit than you think, my friend. Us guards don't know who exactly posted the bounty. We're thinking there's something a little bit deeper than the riots a few days ago since someone tried a hit on Waterstreet right before the bill was posted. Meaning, there might be a third party trying to mess up Dort. Think about it... you think someone in the guard has the kings ransom they're offering for the heads of the Watersteet? One could buy a bloody trade company for the top ringers! Not someone in the guard, but someone who might have someone in the guard... and possibly in the Waterstreet. Think about all the louts who are rushing head first into getting that bounty too, mate. Money like that turns people on people. You got any idea who tried to make the hit? Knowing the details on who tried to hit your people might bring a better light as to who fronted the money for the bounty... and who might be working for them."
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

Jon smiled as Bernice complimented his mom. It was something the boy seemed to be proud of, as seen how energetic he got in a flicker.

"Probably there is, but we from the Knot don' let our head 'ang down. I dunno abou' the money, can't even read the posters. Seems t'be a big deal, though. Everyone's talking 'bout it at 'ome. I dunno who tried ta register the hit, but it's not Golmarin. He was a captive as far as I know. Me dad went to see the fight between him 'n Jakob. If'n ye want to know more, ye should be questioning Dirty Bill. He's been in charge of the finding the assassin. Heard he's been dealing with a new guy in it too. Words spread quick in the alleys, y'know." the little guy told the guardswoman.

"How far is it to yer home? I don' mind the walkin', but rather would like to know where we headin'." he asked her, his hand trying to find hers as they walked.

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

((Taking some NPC liberties. Lemme know if I'm a bunny.))

"Oh, sorry! It's just a little further along at the edge between the Market Square and the Tap Quarter."

She took the lads hand with a smile, enjoying the lad's company.

It took a bit, as it was closer to the Market Square than the Tapestry Quarter, but she needed to head this direction anyway to check out the Waterfront. Nestled in a corner was her old house where she worked and trained with her family. It wasn't ritzy, but it was in the perfect position between the merchants who needed pottery to hold their dyes, and to the general market who needed it for everyday. A wooden fence in the back held Ol' Glue, the Cart Horse who was nonchalantly chowing down on some hay. The shingled shop was kept in decent repair, but the sign over the shop was older than time, though it had an etching of a pot over it.

"Your first reading lesson, Jon!" Bernice said pointing to the sign. "That says 'Pots and Ends'."

There was a swinging door to the entrance as the familiar bell rang. She expected to see either her mother, Ida or her sister Tara at the front with the boys at the wheels and kiln. Modest as the shop was, the craftsmanship of the pottery around the place were in all sorts of shapes and colors raised on wooden shelves. Some were tan, but there were a few others with ornate ends. There were even clay flagons with etchings with artistic details on the handle.

"Now, Jon. I'm askin' ye te be careful. Pottery is fragile and touching can knock stuff over. I've done too much of my share of that 'round 'ere."

Taking her gaze from Jon for a moment, she looked up across the table.

"Mum! Pops! It's Bern!"
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

The little boy yapped the ears off of Bernice while they walked. Mostly about the things he'd seen in his life and memorable things that had happened, but none that held any information regarding the WaterStreet Gang or any other criminal intent.

Jon took a look at the sign and nodded. "Pots and Ends. I can remember that... I think." he said and walked towards the door, almost dragging the guardswoman with him.

When they were inside the shop, the boy let go of Bernice and hurried over to all shelves to watch the pottery displayed. As the comment about fragile pottery was made, he quickly retracted his hand just before he had one of the pots in his hands. He looked up at Bernice as she called out, then at the doorway behind the counter as a voice came from it.

In came a man, carrying a new set of pots into the store. "Ah Bern! How wonderful of you to stop by. Ida! It's Bern! Come here if you will!" he called out to his wife as he put the pots down on the counter. "Oh," he directed his speech at Bernice, "Would you mind carrying some pots from the work shop to the store? Your mom has been quite busy the past few days, made quite some handiwork at that. She had to finish a big order for master Neely.". It was then that his eyes fell on Jon and Bernice's father extended his hand towards the kid. "Well young man, am I pleased to meat you. How are you faring this day, master....?" he said and Jon replied "Schroedl, Sir. Jon Schroedl, but you can call me Jon, Sir.". "Were you here to ask for my daughter's hand, or just a visitor? A client maybe?" he continued and laughed heartily. Jon laughed sheepishly and quickly turned his head to Bernice, his expression showing he felt out of place at that moment.

It was then that her mother came in, her apron filthy with clay, cleaning her hands as good as she could with it. Brushing a lock of hair away with her wrist, she smiled. "Hey Bern, how are you doing? Oh, I see you bring a guest? Your father has been nice, hasn't he?" she asked, picking up a pot and wrapping it in cloth as they usually did for transportation.

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"Can't stay long, pop! Still gotta finish patrol. If you need to unload, though, I can help you in a bit, but I still have to hit the docks before returning to the barracks by Tradetide."

It was then she turned to her mom, giving a 'guardly' salute and a tap to the floor with the base of her halberd. There was a shit-eating smirk and a chuckle as she tilted her head.

" 'Ey mum! This is Jon. His parents are a tad down on their luck and I wanted to show him 'ere. He was taught right by his mum and he seems to 'ave a good 'eart. I wanted to see if you needed a spare hand so he can see 'ow to work an honest living around carin' people. He still needs to check with 'is folks, obviously, but I promised I'd at least introduce ye. I know the twins are starting to get old enough to want to strike out on their own, and I know I'll be out and about more often, so I thought he could keep ye company at the same time."

Bernice playfully scruffed Jon's hair with a smirk.

"Since dad needs some help, maybe we can at least show 'im around while I help unload. I need practice doing things in this lovin' armor anyway... they won't let me wear the old scale in uniform and this leather itches like a b-"

Recalling that she was setting an example for Jon, even though they could cuss between one another, she was in front of her mother, and her brothers couldn't be blamed for her bad habits anymore. Soon, her own gaze matched Jon's previous sheepishness as she laughed at herself.

"Man! The words I'm pickin' up with tha guard! Sorry, mum!"
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

While her father went back into the backroom to get more pottery, Bernice's mother smiled. "Oh my, how thoughtful of you Bernice. And such a do-good these days. It seems the guard is a good place for you to be. At least you've put aside those raw layers in your character." she said before levelling with Jon.

"Hey there boy, I'm Ida Potts. So you wanted to work? Earn yourself a living?" she said, her eyes glancing at the guardswoman for a moment. Jon, who shook her hand, on his turn replied. "Yes ma'am. I'm Jon 'n I can do a lot of liftin' 'n movin' fer ya. Me hands won't produce such nice pottery as yers do, but I guess I could 'elp with more mundane things. That is, if me father approves of it." he said, excitement all over his voice.

Ida got back up and gave a wink at Bernice. "Go help your father. I'll talk with master Jon until you are done."

As Bernice moved the pottery from the back room to the store, she could see Jon and her mom laughing together. As she and her father, whom didn't speak much during work apart from the usual pleasantries, finished, it was clear that her mom already had her mind set on the boy as a helping hand.

"Bern, you go with that boy and tell his father that he'll have a decent room here, new clothes, and a steady income. I think you shouldn't have too much trouble into coercing his dad for him to work here." Ida said to her daughter. "And if you want, you can help loading the cart too, unless you have to go on with your patrol. I heard something like that back in the workshop."

Special:
Bernice Potts
Civus

Post by Bernice Potts »

"Trust me, there's plenty of roughness in the guard."

With that, she went to help her father, and upon her return, she smiled brightly at her mom. She rested her hands behind her head nonchalantly and leaned against the wall.

"Yer the best, mum! After the riots, I fear there might be a lot like him. You know something, mum... I think I need to get working on an idea like this. Getting jobs fer people instead of making them beg or turn to crime could calm a lot of things down. I think I'll finish my patrol and pitch the idea to the captain. I'm sure a lot of merchants are looking for people willing to learn. Not that I'm trying to dodge out of helping dad, I just really think it could clean up the city! ... That and I need to get Master Jon home safe and sound."

Return to “Dort Archive”