Har Har, ye be a pirate! (Azubuike, CH 26th TT)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Adanedhel
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Har Har, ye be a pirate! (Azubuike, CH 26th TT)

Post by Adanedhel »

The belly of the monster called the Tempest was full of sacks, barrels, a few cages with animals, chests and more barrels. In the back were the larger ones, large enough for the half-giant to have hidden. The smell of cooking started to come in from the galley. On the other side of the barrel a group of voices could be heard, but suddenly the sounds ceased.

"Nasty," one said to another, "get the captain, I think he ought take a look here." and the sound of sliding metal could be heard. Footsteps trailed away.

Hushed voices now, no words could be distinguished. Then it came, a voice from afar. "What did you make me come for, Rat?" a voice called out from the back. "I think, cap'n, we got a stowaway here. You might want to check it out yourself." a voice returned, slightly a higher timbre than the first.

Again the sound of sliding metal... "Alright then. You there, behind our whiskey, I'm giving you a chance to come out. If'n you don't come, we're gonna get you and I won't be friendly anymore. For now, I do not want to spill any blood on this ship." the captain said in general towards the barrels behind which Azubuike would be hiding.

The men were ready, waiting. If the stowaway would do anything suspicious, five of them were ready to jump on him or her. They just hoped it would all go peacefully. They were not at sea, and Dort might have them hunted for murder in their ports.
Something wicked your way comes...

Posting rate: 2/week

Special:
[b]OOECP[/b] - [i]Grant[/i]ed by Maeve & Sosa

Post by Guest »

Azubuike had been hiding in the hold for less than two marks when he heard steps and then voices. He understood the words that were said, but didn't know what to do about it, and he was puzzled by the sound of metal scraping against... something. He was trying to puzzle the sound out since the voices had now dropped below hearing when a new voice spoke, demanding of one of those still standing around why the owner had been summoned. The word 'stowaway' was one the half-giant didn't know. Once more, that odd metallic sound and then..

“Alright then. You there, behind our whiskey, I'm giving you a chance to come out. If'n you don't come, we're gonna get you and I won't be friendly anymore. For now, I don't want to spill any blood on this ship.”

Now while those words weren't directed at him specifically, Azubuike could recognize the command in them, as well as the displeasure which would result if the command wasn't complied with. The half-giant understood commands, and rose slowly from his ill-conceived hiding place. At nearly eight feet tall, Azubuike towered over the pirates, and because his body was scarcely narrower at his hips than at his shoulders his frame was very stocky. He wore next to nothing, just a none too clean loin cloth and the wrist and ankle clasps of the manacles he had been wearing when he escaped his master. The tangled mess that was his hair was kept out of his eyes by a braided leather cord which held a chip with his masters mark at his forehead. Other than his hands and the three hundred pounds of muscle which backed them, he was unarmed. Once he had come to stand at his full height he shuffled out around the barrels to stand before the captain and the other four men. Then he did something he had never done before, he spoke without being spoken to.

“Please,” he said looking at the pirates with his almost black eyes “don't want to kill.” And he held his hands out to show he had no malicious intent, unaware that they were scrapped up and splattered with blood from the six men he had already killed this night.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

The men were all dressed light and were armed with a sword or a small axe and a knife in their other hand. The man in the middle of the group, however, dressed richer. His coat crimson with golden decorations and fancy boots. Black trousers and a white shirt finished it. His belt had a stiletto tucked in it and a cutlass hanging at his side. He had a young, smooth face with deep set brown eyes and a goatee. His hair was loosely tied back in a pony tail.

All of them took a step back as the towering half giant rose to his full height and raised their weapons as they saw the blood. It was, however, the captain who had listened instead of acted. He extended his arms left and right and motioned his men to lower their weapons.

He looked curiously at Azubuike. "Who are you, what are you doing here and what have you done?" he said, not approaching nor retreating any more from the half giant.

Special:

Post by Guest »

“Who are you, what are you doing here and what have you done?” The speaker was the only one of the five before him to have neither retreated nor brandished his weapons. He was also outlandishly dressed in comparison to his cohorts, but by the same token it was his voice which throbbed with command. And his expression was one that Azubuike hadn't seen before. Those reflected the faces of the other four men he easily recognized as fear and loathing. Azubuike was intrigued by the leader, but wary of his subordinates. Their assortment of swords, axes and daggers was motley at best, but he suspected that all knew how to bring the weapons to bear with reasonable skill. This would not be a fight he could win, at least, certainly not easily, and he doubted if even his huge advantage in size and strength would carry him through a coordinated attack from five men armed and even minimally skilled with their weapons. And then there was the matter of his injuries.

He was having a hard time focusing through his abused left eye, gouged so severely during the brawl just recently. His leg throbbed, and the stab wound in his neck, though it had stopped bleeding, was still incredibly sore. Which was to saying nothing of the other bruises, contusions and scrapes which covered his body. Between those adornments and the sad state of his sole clothing item, the frayed and stained loincloth, he had to look a mess. It didn't even occur to him that he still wore the clasps of the manacles on his ankles and wrists, but they looked less pathetic and more... exotic and potentially dangerous, each band of iron covered a shade under a half-span of his wrists and ankles. All in all, though his size and strength were greater, and his potential foes were obviously intimidated, he was still injured and they were ostensibly familiar with the tools they carried. Conflict was obviously best avoided.

“Azubuike hiding.” The half-giant said. “Azubuike kill, then run, now hiding.” He looked at the man who had distinguished himself as the leader and repeated his earlier request. “Please, don't make kill.”
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

The captain rubbed his goatee, pondering over what to do with the half giant. "So you've been making trouble, killing men, running from authorities, trying to hide here in hopes to get away and have them forget you? Now tell me, why shouldn't I deliver you to those who are now looking for you?" the captain said, as he gestured one of his men over. As the sailor was standing at his side, the captain whispered something in his ear and tapped the sailor's shoulder. Off went the sailor in a trot, disappearing through a door.

The rest of the troupe were waiting for the half giant to answer the question though. From a hatch in the ceiling new heads were popping up, peeking in, whispering to each other. It was then that the one sailor returned, bringing in a plate with fish and stew, putting it on the ground before Azubuike, staying just out of his reach.

Special:

Post by Guest »

Azubuike watched as the captain stroked his goatee, apparently considering his course in the light of the half-giants revelation. "So you've been making trouble, killing men, running from authorities, trying to hide here in hopes to get away and have them forget you?" The fellow paused for a flicker and his expression shifted minutely into another which the recently self emancipated slave did not recognize. "Now tell me," he continued "why shouldn't I deliver you to those who are now looking for you?" With another gesture he indicated for one of his men to approach, once the man did so, he spoke quietly and then the fellow trotted off, disappearing through a door Azubuike hadn't noticed when he had come down here to hide.

Those who remained were watching the half giant with unrestrained wariness, weapons still at hand. The hatch in the ceiling, through which the half-giant had entered the hold was now ringed with new heads, new faces peering down at him, whispering to each other and then returning to watching him, their expressions mirroring those on the faces of the men closest. Suddenly, the man who had disappeared out the hidden door returned with a plate, which he put on the floor in front of him, staying just beyond easy reach. He pondered his response, feeling keenly the language barrier which his master had never felt it necessary to help him overcome. He hurriedly ordered his thoughts as best he could given his limited capacity for the human tongue.

"Azubuike no make trouble, not want. Others attacked, Master attacked, only tried to escape. Why not turn over? Azubuike work. Master always say strong, could use strong back yes? Let Azubuike stay, he work, earn his food, sleep here in hold. Make no trouble for. Know how to stay out of way. Please," he concluded, "don't make kill, won't go back."
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

The captain looked up at the hatch as he had heard a few voices there and was taken aback somewhat as he saw all the faces there. "Me hearties! Nothing to see! Scrub the decks, do repairs. Make ready to weigh killick at gravetide tonight!" he shouted to them, and with haste all disappeared. He looked back at the half giant. "Begads, I will be punished someday..." he muttered. He gestured for his men to put away their arms and so it happened. All were unarmed, but by their stance they clearly didn't trust Azubuike yet.

Then the captain turned toward the half giant once again. "I'm Captain Skipster. Eat the grub, please. I'm not quite bad enough to have it poisoned. In the meantime, explain to me, why would you want to join us?" he said, opening one of the chests and taking an apple out of it. As he sat down on the chest, he cleaned it on his shirt and took a bit. "And your name, it was Azubuike, right?"

Special:

Post by Guest »

The gaudily dressed commander introduced himself as ‘Captain’ whatever that was, and said his name was Skipster. Azubuike had never Learned the name of another being before, and struggled with what to do with the information. His name, had been given him by his master and had only been ever used by that man, never by those who bought him, or by those who shared his station. He had also referred to ‘grub’ all the half-giant saw was the stew which sat on the floor.

The ‘Captain’ spoke, and the heads disappeared from the rim of the hold. He then gestured and the men who had been holding weapons put them away. Azubuike’s sense of the power in a situation had served him well enough for him to know who to defer too. Judging however, by the stances of the men who surrounded their commander, he was still not trusted. Slowly, the half-giant slid to his knees and prostrated himself before the man called ‘Skipster’ forehead against the floor, hands extended forward palms up. He closed his hands around the plate of food.

“Thanks to Master for food.” As he spoke he pulled his hands back and sat back onto his calves. “Azubuike. Yes. That is name given by previous master. New master wish give new name? What new Master wish to have do first?”
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

The captain shook his head and turned toward the men. He pointed at two of them, "You two stay, the rest get back to work. Nothing to see here.". The men left, talking amongst themselves and the remaining two got to the background, shifting some crates and stuff, trying to stay in the background.

Skipster then turned to Azubuike again. "Oh shut it." he said, his mouth still filled with apple. "First of all, I'm not your master, nor do I want to be. Your name is your name and nobody can change it for you, but if you would like something else, feel free to change it. You are a free man..." he said and paused for a moment. A pensive expression adorned his face. "Well, not totally maybe, since you are being sought for, but if you stay in the hold until say... tonight, you might be lucky. What did you do for your master, Azu? Maybe I'll have a job for you. I can always use some extra hands."

Special:

Post by Guest »

Azubuike was stunned and stung by Skipsters outright and off-handed rejection of his service. The half-giant may have been a slave his entire life, but he knew he was valuable. Who was this man to refuse such a generous gift? Then another thought occurred to him, and Azubuike quashed the indignation which had been threatening to burst into angry flames. Maybe the man just didn't know the value of what was being offered, for all that his clothes were fine, it was possible that he simply didn't know the value of a good servant. In that instant, the half-giant resolved to show the man just what it was he had been offered, irregardless of what the 'Captain' had to say about his willingness to be served.

When Skipster told him that he should be safe from whomever was pursing him, the former still wasn't sure who would be after him, Azubuike was overwhelmed with gratitude for the man.

"What did you do for your master Azu?" He asked as he took another bite of apple. "Maybe I'll have a job for you. I can always use some extra hands." Azubuike grinned broadly as his new 'master' unwillingly gave him a new name and he eagerly answered his new Master's question.

"Did many things master, Azubuike strong. Lift, carry, dig. Master even made fight to death few times. Azubuike can kill easily. What would you like me to do?" He asked eagerly, relishing the feeling of warm food in his stomach. Now that he had no more need to worry about food or shelter, he simply had to find something to do, and surely his master would have a long list of things which needed doing in exchange for the food. Maybe the half-giant could even earn another meal if he worked hard. He gazed at his new master with open anticipation and waited anxiously.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

Skipster looked around the cargo hold as Azubuike had finished speaking and nodded slowly. "A carrier would come in handy. We're weighing killick tonight and head for the Citadel where most of these goods will be sold. They'll have to get dockside in order to do that. Whaddya say, sailor? You help us in the Citadel, and after that, we'll see how good a hand you are." he said.

Taking another bite from his apple, walking up to the half giant, he looked him up and down carefully. "You are somewhat tall for a pirate, but I think I could give you some easy stuff to do in the meantime while we sail. Decks need to be cleaned, maybe you could help some of our veteran sailors and learn from them." Michael extended his hand towards Azu. "That a deal? You'll get regular meals, with the rest of the crew. No wage as long as we don't make any money. Loot will be divided evenly if we happen to capture a ship."

Special:

Post by Guest »

Azubuike wasn't sure what a wage was, or what a pirate was, or what weighing killick meant, but his new master had promised him food in exchange for labor, which was a better deal than his old master had ever given him. Skipster then made the motion which he had seen his old master partake in many times, and so the half-giant extended a his own hand and enveloped the humans as gently as he could. He didn't know that he was supposed to move it, so he simply held it as he spoke.

“Azu thanks master.” He said simply. “Azu makes master proud and not regret decision.” The words said, Azubuike waited patiently for direction, wanting nothing more than to get to work so that he could show his new master just how valuable an acquisition he had just made.
Adanedhel

Post by Adanedhel »

As Azubuike held Michael's hand, the captain shook it up and down gently a couple of times. "You can let go now, Azu." the young sir said. "Follow me" he said and turned around, starting towards a door out of the hold behind which a stairs was situated, as Azu knew from his entry. Once outside, Michael, looked around happy.

The captain swung his arms in a wide arc around him and said "All the wood, riggings, and what more you see that is considered part of the ship is my own little paradise. There are no laws to abide, only my rules. Do not steal from another, do not fight amongst the ranks and work for your food. That's the summarized version. You'll be doing heavy lifting mostly the coming days, as well as helping with the anchor." Michael then walked off towards the gangplank that formed the bridge between the Dortenese soil and the ship they stood on. "Go to the galley in a bit and ask for some water and soap to wash that blood off of you, after that, you can start bringing those crates and sacks aboard." he said and pointed to a pile of sacks and several crates and barrels standing on shore. "Any questions so far?" he asked Azu as he looked at the big half giant.

Special:
Morg

Post by Morg »

Archived without skilling due to player retirement.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “Dort Archive”