KC: Seeking Confession (Chyril 26 MT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

KC: Seeking Confession (Chyril 26 MT)

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

Basilica Dominici

It is the main chapel that is most impressive, however, remarkable in its height and elegance- essentially a circular building, bound on all sides by columns and arches. There are other sculptures set in the alcoves and upon the roof, here, a tall spire stretching upward from the entire mass- spiraling into the heavens- capped in a gilded depiction of an eye, the simple of The One. In all times, the chapel is inviting, the entry chamber visible behind tall doors, partially open, a fire burning within, with deep and comfortable-looking couches set just within the oversized portals. All were welcome to enter freely, especially converts.

Rasday mass had just ended at the Basilica, and Sebastian rose with the rest of the throng. The rites and sermon had been comforting in their familiarity if not in their originality, but perhaps the young baron's troubled mind prevented full appreciation of the One's message that day.

For Sebastian was at the Basilica with an ulterior motive, a purpose beyond the normal communion with his god. He sought the paladin that had interviewed Beatrix the poet, Sir Lorin. Even in the short time they had been together Sebastian recognized the fervor that burned within the paladin's soul, and that made it almost certain Yin would be in attendance this morningtide. And even Sir Lorin was merely a means to an end, for the real quarry of his search was the paladin's acquaintance Constance, who Sebastian believed might be involved with Baron Kriesbon's sudden illness, and by extension with some plot by the newly-appointed Regent to increase his holdings in less than honourable fashion.

And so as the crowd milled down the aisles, heading for the exits that would land them on the Boulevard of Temples and off to enjoy their day of rest, Sebastian stood off to the side and cast his crisp blue eyes over the assemblage in search of his goal. Come on, he thought anxiously, show yourself. I know you must be here, maybe with the girl even. Wouldn't that be handy! What he would do with the pair, or the girl alone, Sebastian had not yet decided. It would largely depend on how they reacted to his questions. But he was determined to get answers - Cerise was counting on him, and that gave him a determination beyond much what he had felt before.

Dominicus, show your servant to me, that this nefarious act might be exposed and an innocent man spared. Sebastian sent the silent prayer toward the altar, hoping that at least in this place the One might answer a simple request.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin was trying to keep awake during the service. Sleeping only every other night was getting to him, and the past day was draining. He was ready to head home and have a nap. Constance had agreed to go to the service with him, and she sat near him.

He chose to sit with his family in the common section of the church near the back. It did him some good to be near them, nieces and nephews whispered during the service and played little games on scraps of paper. Their mothers chided them and warned them to pay attention.

Yin tried to keep his mind alert, the smaller book he found the other day was in his hand, the journal. He would open it from time to time and read a bit more. When the service was finally over people began to shuffle out. He would normally be ready to go home and get some rest, but it seemed like everyone who was anyone was here, and Yin wanted to take note of just a few people, namely the small sculptor from the collage, and the poet. It would be an interesting note if they did not attend services.

He and Constance stepped out and headed for the exits.
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Sebastian's prayer was immediately answered, for no more than a few paces from where he stood, he caught sight of Yin and Constance making their way out of the church. Miss Devois was a pretty, petite girl with long blond hair and appeared to be under twenty yahren in age. This morning she was dressed in a demure, formal black dress appropriate for attendance at church.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Blessed be the One, thought Sebastian thankfully as Yin and Constance appeared from the crowd not a few paces away from him. Not wanting to lose the pair in the rush to the exit, Sebastian immediately entered the flow of worshippers and quickly threaded his way forward until he was shuffling along behind the two. In the marks leading up to this moment he had toyed with several different approaches he might use when speaking with Constance, but now that the time had arrived all he could think of was to dive straight into the issue. His need for immediate answers, Cerise's need really, made the delicate approach infeasible in his mind.

"Good morningtide to you, Sir Lorin," he opened, leaning forward a little so as to catch their attention and yet keep his voice below the general buzz of the departing assemblage. "And m'lady," he added to Constance, his eyes staring down at her with bright intent. "I trust the service was to your liking?"

"I am pleased to find the two of you here, for I have urgent need to speak with you," he continued after the short pleasantries, his tone easily conveying both his relief and his haste. "In particular, with you m'lady. There is recent news from Murrelbuck that I think we should discuss."

The exit was approaching but Sebastian held his gaze upon the petite, blond-haired Constance, looking to gauge her reaction to his request.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The young Paladin gave a small bow to the Baron as he approached. He listened intently as the man said his peace. “So you wish to speak to the Lady Constance?” Yin clarified.

He looked to her and if she appeared to be ok with this he would step away to watch the crowd as he was planning. Her business was her own.

Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"If she wishes you to remain, that is fine by me," replied Sebastian curtly, explaining his intent to Yin in a little more detail. He would not be openly impolite - not yet, at least - but there was an urgency needed that leaked into his tone. "But it is Lady Constance with whom I truly wish to speak. As I say, I believe she may be of assistance with a matter brewing in the Border Estates."

In fact, Sebastian considered that Yin's presence might actually help, if his righteousness rubbed off on the lady. She might feel pressure to do the right thing in front of a paladin, or at the least make a misstep that the holy warrior would detect ahead of Sebastian. And the baron figured Sir Lorin to be the sort that would act upon such a falsehood rather than cover it up, again to his benefit.

Sebastian returned his gaze to Constance, awaiting her reply.
Guido Cercatoro

The blond haired mage showed no reaction to Sebastian's request beyond a sweet smile.

"Of course, Baron. If I could be of assistance, I would be most willing to speak to you. However, although I have had occasion to visit Murrelbuck, I know little of the estate."

The diminutive blond girl turned to the Paladin. "You are welcome to stay if you wish, I will leave it up to you."
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The young man looked between the two, and there was more going on then was being said, he just could not read it. “I will stay.” He finally commented. He knew the Baron insisted on being there for the questioning of the poet for a reason more then just to be a noble there, the whole place was crawling with nobles. He thought he would return the favor.

“I do not think standing here in the temple would be the place to talk, how about we go back to my home and you can talk there over some food?” Yin suggested in a cordial manner, a bright smile on his face.

Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"Still, I think you will be able to afford a unique insight to the problem," Sebastian replied to Constance, dismissing her attempt to downplay her usefulness. You'd better be useful, or this house of the One might hear things unbecoming of the faithful, he thought behind his mask of civility. Then again, maybe not, he corrected himself. Don't forget Ottavio.

"Your observations will be welcome, Sir Lorin," nodded the young baron, before hearing with slight dismay the paladin's invitation to conduct the interview in his home. That did not sit well with Sebastian for a number of reasons, not the least of which was his need to get answers quickly.

"Really Sir Lorin, though your offer is exceedingly generous I don't think it is necessary. Besides, I wouldn't want to intrude upon your family with this matter," he explained. "They do not need to be burdened with affairs of state on their day of rest."

"You are correct in assuming this should happen behind closed doors though. Such delicate matters are best left private between the interested parties. My thought was to borrow a room here in the Basilica. Surely our combined standing would be able to net us the free rent of a private room for a less than a burn?"

And perhaps Dominicus Himself will lend guidance in the matter if it is conducted in His house, thought Sebastian. The One had already provided his quarry is timely fashion, if prayers answered were to be credited, and Sebastian would take any edge he could get. After all, Baron Kriesbon depended on this. Cerise depended on this.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin smiled and shook his head. “It would be no imposition at all. What is the point of having a home if you cannot have guests over.” He told the Baron with a clap on the shoulder. “My family stays at their home, trust me, my home will be sufficient for a private chat.” He looked at Constance for a bit of assistance.

“The temple is nice, but I do not think we should find a free office with the business of the day, take it from one who has lived here.” Yin gave a small chuckle that had a bit of a snort in it that he quickly tried to recover from. “What do you say Baron, I do not live far from here.”

Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian looked a little dubious as Yin waved away his concerns, insisting on hosting the discussion at his home. Although he could appreciate the possibility that the Basilica might be full up with clergy and not able to afford them the privacy he sought, the symbolism of the Church was worth something in his quest for the truth. The baron was also worried that the paladin's home might be considered comfortable and safe territory for Constance, who was clearly a close acquaintance, making his job of drawing forth incriminating information that much more difficult.

The problem for Sebastian was his lack of any other good excuses or alternatives. In the end his need for expediency trumped all else - he wanted to get to the bottom of things as quickly as possible. May the One walk with us and evoke the truth no matter where we speak, he silently prayed before finally acceding to the paladin's insistence.

"Very well, Sir Lorin," he relented. "Let us be away to your home, and then get to the matter at hand." Gesturing with an extended arm, he indicated for the pair to precede him out of the Basilica and lead the way.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin gave a bright smile to the Baron and offered his arm again to Constance. “We walked here Baron, I hope you do not mind walking back. I do not have the money to afford carriages or horses.” He informed the Sebastion in a matter of fact way. “I do enjoy the walk it allows me time to see the city, I have always loved the city.”

Once outside Yin took a deep breath. “Baron, what do you think of the state of things?” He asked looking at Sebastion with open eyes. He was measuring the man, how he walked, and what he was looking at, taking in all the man’s demeanor. Trying to read him like he had been told in his meetings with DeRhom.

Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"Walking will be fine," the baron agreed as they stepped out into the street. "I did enough of it during my time with the Vanguard. Our primary purpose was to ensure the security of Kings Court citizens, and that meant walking the streets. I'll be interested to see what's changed since then."

Sebastian didn't stop walking, but he did look askance at the paladin when Yin asked his leading question. "The state of things, Sir Lorin? In what sense? Maybe you can narrow it down a bit for me?"
Guido Cercatoro

Constance took Yin's arm and accompanied her two companions out of the church. She remained silent, contenting herself with merely listening to the conversation.

The streets of the capital were relatively quiet this early in the morningtide. Those who were out and about were too busy to direct more than a cursory glance as Paladin, Baron and mage made their way through the streets.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The younger man looked at Sebastion as if he had something strange growing off his head. “The state of things, sir. Is the noble class so blind as to see the world around them for what it is.” Yin spat the words out, thinking back to the squalid street he had been on the other day, the face of the priest who was addicted to the horrid powder. “Are nobles so wrapped in their own world they cannot see the people they serve?”

Yin looked around as they walked. “I would not have thought that when I reached seventeen yahren that I would be witness to such a state in my homeland.” He lamented softly. “Our King, the Avatar is dead, we have civil war with the Mouth as they split from the land and the truth. Good people starving in the streets and farmers who cannot return to their fields for the danger out there.”

He let out a long sigh. “It is a pity the Vanguard cannot do more to make the land safe. It is all they can do to keep the city safe, and they cannot even do that, not with the new powder coming in.” His countenance drew darker the more he spoke, looking around, the weight of it seemed to be visible on him. “And the men who could stop this, the nobles, they fight over who may rule. Yet no one has any idea what they will do beyond collect taxes, taxes that are already too high and do nothing to serve the people who pay them.”

“What did you think I was speaking on, Baron?” He asked incredulously. “The weather?”

Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"I can see that something so well-defined as the weather was expecting too much," replied the baron tartly, clearly put out by the accusing tone Yin favoured. "Might I suggest that if you want a considered response on any question, that you ask more clearly for the answer which you seek. And that you do so with some common courtesy as well." Anger flashed in Sebastian's crisp blue eyes, defying the generalized complaints against him as a member of the nobility. "I would have thought a member of your Order would maintain at least that much civility, Sir Lorin."

After a few more steps and pointed gazing at the passing shops, Sebastian felt he had gathered in his temper well enough to continue the conversation. "Now then, let us examine your questions," he offered, ordering his thoughts before continuing.

"I am ill-prepared to discuss the specifics of life in the capital, I'm afraid. Although I spent a good deal of time here in both the Kingsguard and the Vanguard, it's been more than a half-yahren since I left for Brie. And recovering from the devastation left there by the invading orcs and then the Red Rash has been nigh all-consuming. The village is only now returning to a semblance of its old self, with trade finally picking back up. It took some doing to encourage the people to rebuild, but Briefolk are resilient by nature and have proven that to me time and again. I am proud of them," he said honestly, the hint of a smile breaking what had still been a stern expression directed toward Yin.

"And I am well aware that turning around the havoc wreaked in Brie is an important step in helping out the citizens here. Even before I left for Brie, discussions amongst the city leaders were always centred around restoring the basic comforts of peace and stability to Kings Court, and feeding the people was key in that strategy. But Brie and other holdings outside the city must return to their pre-invasion strength before that weakness can be remedied."

"You must understand, Sir Lorin," Sebastian pointed out, "the invasion was more than an attack on Kings Court. It was an attack on the kingdom, and struck important targets beyond Kings Court that we are still feeling today. As much as any of us would like it to be so, these things cannot be fixed overnight."

"The Southerners are another matter entirely," agreed Sebastian, his own tone darkening at the mention of the Mouth. He had stood front and centre with the Vanguard to withstand the vaunted Dragonknight charge, and only he and a handful of his soldiers were still around to recall that terrible, heroic moment. "They have taken advantage of the weakened kingdom and made their own fortune. May they reap what they deserve of it."

Sebastian fell silent for a burn, walking along in contemplative silence as he sorted out Yin's overall theme. He had known many people who cursed the nobles in his hometown, and all the while he worked for the Kingsguard and Vanguard. It was simple ignorance, and the feeling that the pasture was greener on the other side of the stile. That fact had been made clear to Sebastian from the moment he'd reached the capital and had been hammered home every day since.

"I do find it a bit disturbing that you are laying the root of all these problems at the feet of the nobles, Sir Lorin. While I appreciate that men in power have a great deal of influence over what might be done to improve the lot of the citizenry, they in turn can only go as far as the people themselves will allow. No matter who 'sits on high', they are still but one person. Even with the best of intentions and ideas, the people must also take up the call and help pull toward the goal, whatever it may be."

"Nobles are not magicians, Sir Lorin, to pull food and peace and prosperity from thin air so that all the populace has to do is hold out a hand. It takes hard work on both sides of the table to make things work."

"I'd like to think Brie's recovery is an example of that, of working together to accomplish a common goal. It can be done here too, but the scale is daunting," he admitted. "Just like the running of a household pales in comparison to a barony, so too does that in comparison to a kingdom. And the size means you have to get that many more influential people helping you pull in the same direction, or the people will not lend their necessary support. It doesn't take many branches to jam up the waterwheel, so to speak."

"That is why a new king is so important. It isn't the power or the prestige that matters, Sir Lorin. At least not how I see it. It's the ability to marshal and direct the huge organization we call the Western Kingdom in a direction that will allow healing and recovery from the trying yahren we've all been through."

"When that king sits upon the throne, the winds will have changed for the good."
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin let the silence settle in when the baron finished, churning the things he said over. “So if I am to understand you correctly Baron, we need leaders.” He said trying to sum up what the man was driving at. “Men who will be able to lead and rally and organize? Men who know that they need to put self interest aside for the good of others, and seek that good through skilled leadership.” He looked to the Baron. “Then why do we need nobles if they will not be these men. If they do not accept the responsibility for their failure to do these things?”

He looked to Constance. “When I lived on the farm in the Downs, my father’s farm, each man had a task, and every man was accountable for that task. My father would usually assign my oldest brother the job of making sure all the other jobs were done.” He turned back to the Baron. “Now, this did not mean he just saw to it all of us worked, but he pitched in, rolled up his sleeves and got muddy if there was work that needed extra hands.” He smiled thinking back to those days. “I always respected my brothers because I knew I could count on them. Now that farm was overrun by orcs, and I have tried to do what I could to reclaim that land. You are right though, more needs to be done.”

He slowed the walk as they approached his house in the Greycloak district. “We just do not need any man up on that throne; we need a leader, an inspired leader. The Avatar of the One will return, because that is who is to be our King. You want a man, any man, let alone the men trying to get to that throne? You know men, it sounds to me Baron, and is that what you want running this land? Or do you want a leader? A being that is part of the land and part of the people, and part of our God? The people need something, someone to have faith in, a man who is going to lead people and inspire them.”

He stopped at the steps to his home and looked at Sebastion. “Perhaps I should not lay this at every nobles feet, but the people cannot help each other if they are being bled dry by the taxes levied. Are you aware that the people are taxed greater now than ever before, and that money is vanishing into the coffers of those who would support a bid for the throne. As if the crown can be bought.” He studied the Baron a moment. “I cannot say I know about the Brie, but if you’re a man who has done so much for your own people, I would ask you do as much here. The Merchants are starting a fund to help the widows and the orphans left by the war. Do you think you could support such a thing?” He asked.

Lifting a finger as they went up the stairs. “Also, Baron, I am not a knight, I do not serve the nobles, or the ruling class. I am a paladin of the Order of the One, we serve the Avatar and the One. Right now that service is seen fit to help those who cannot help themselves, and this is the people of the land. Even nobles can be seen as enemies to the One. Title and land mean nothing in the Kingdom of the One.” He opened the door for the two of them. “Humility is the first step to coming to the One, Baron.”

Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

It was Sebastian's turn to be silent when Yin finished, but it was not a thoughtful silence. Instead a most stern look sat upon the young baron's face, and steel flashed in his eyes as he considered the end of the paladin's speech. "I hope you are merely caught up in your passion for the people, Sir Lorin, which is admirable to a point. But so is some common sense and restraint. I trust you didn't really mean to threaten me just now?"

[Assuming the paladin denies any such threat...]

"I am still concerned that you see the nobles to blame for much of the ills in the city, and the countryside. Or perhaps," Sebastian held up a finger, stalling any rebuttal for a flicker, "what I should say is all nobles, in a generic sense. You complain about high taxes, about nobles vying for the throne, about common people receiving no help. This is not a deliberate stance among my peers, and many do their very best to support the common trust between themselves and their subjects. Please do not paint all of us with the same brush, lest you expect the same treatment. I assure you, it is never flattering."

"Obviously the land needs a leader, but do not be so quick to dismiss the succession as useless in identifying one. The skills needed to survive such a contest serve a king and his nation well in many ways. I would even suggest," he added mildly, eyebrows raised as he looked at Yin, "that the One has a hand in this already. Whether you are willing to accept it or not, even the Blessed of Dominicus needs skills beyond his holy title to rule effectively in this wide world of ours. I firmly believe the One tests his chosen in this political arena, to ensure a worthy successor is anointed."

"That is not to say pretenders do not clamour for the throne as well, men of lesser standing who would use the post for baser gain. It is for the true king to defeat these challenges and demonstrate he is the proper representative of Dominicus on this mortal world."

Sebastian hoped his spin on the current manoeuvering as a test for the new avatar would catch the paladin's fancy. Such all-encompassing disdain for the nobles was distressing at best, and potentially dangerous should this young man actually manage to incite some rebellious spark in the populace. The last thing the country needed right now was more upheaval and strife, this time over the system of governance!

With a sympathetic expression, the baron offered a last comment on the taxation issue. "I know taxes have risen, for that is always the situation when so much damage has been done to a kingdom. You ask for food, shelter, repairs to the city, trade to resume - and yes, these all need to happen - but none of it comes for free, Sir Lorin. Imagine yesterday the rulers had enough money flowing in and out to manage the city, but then today an army came and tore down a bunch of walls, burned hundreds of buildings, and razed the surrounding fields. You now need to buy materials to rebuild, pay tradesmen to do the construction, buy food from elsewhere and ship it to the city. These are all expenses you did not have just yesterday. Some money is available in reserve, if you have been wise. More can be obtained on credit, if you are in good standing with your neighbours who were not affected by this tragedy. But even that is not enough. So, do you let people starve because there is no money in your purse, or do you enforce an increase in collections?" Sebastian let the question hang for a while, willing to hear the paladin's suggestions, if any. It was a terrible well to be trapped within, and he feared that Brie could still feel its pull if the crop failed next year. Things were so tenuous right now...

"As for charity, I believe it begins at home. So, while I think your initiative is excellent and I would have no objection lending my political support if it comes to council for official approval, my baronial money will remain in Brie for the time being. I can offer a personal donation," he allowed, "if that will not be seen as a slight more than a boon, for I do have a history in the city and still care for its well-being. But truly, I think my biggest contribution on that front is to ensure the grain resumes its flow into Kings Court. That is by far the best thing Brie can do for the country as a whole - get our feet under us again, and get our staples to the hands and mouths that need it most."

"Now then, I think it best we set aside this most interesting discourse for some later date. The matters which have caused me to approach Miss Devois, while affecting a more personal scale than our recent topics, have nonetheless a similar dire import on life and limb for those involved." Sebastian cast a knowing glance at Constance, before extending an arm which invited her to precede him through the door. "I am sure none of us wish to delay the discovery of any potential solution to the issue."

"After you, m'lady?"
Guido Cercatoro

Constance had continued to remain quiet during the journey to Yin’s house. She smiled in acknowledgement to Sebastian as he extended his arm to allow her to precede him into the house. Once the group had entered the house, she took off her coat and shook out her long, blond hair. She cast a quick, slightly anxious glance towards the paladin before turning her attention to the nobleman.

“Well, Baron, I can see that there is something urgent you wish to discuss with me. So, let us proceed with the matter.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian appreciated the lack of delay in Constance's manner, and secretly took some confidence from the look she shot at Yin. Correctly or not, the baron interpreted the glance as nervousness on the part of the woman, and having her somewhat off-balance could only be beneficial for the interview.

Interview, he thought in a flicker. Because it sounds so much more urbane that interrogation. Ottavio's eyes flashed across his mind's eye, but the baron quickly pushed such frailties. This was too important to be swayed by bad memories.

"Thank you for that consideration, Miss Devois," the baron replied with a curt nod, readying himself for the sparring that would ensue. The fact that Yin had invited them back for lunch had fled Sebastian's mind. Now he was only focused on finding out something useful in the matter of Baron Kriesbon's purported poisoning, ideally a cure. And a culprit, he reminded himself as thoughts of Leonius drifted through his mind.

"I am given to understand you visited Murrelbuck recently, in fact staying at the residence of Lady Magdalena. Can you tell me what the purpose of your visit there was?"
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin wanted to make a retort, to tell him about all he had seen. How the nobles had it both ways, they had raised the taxes and people were still starving in the streets, about the corruption and crime. What good would it do, he knew the Baron already had his opinions. He was right, the farms needed to be rebuilt, but with all the farmers still hiding here in the city, and those who were not were deep in the ground, he did not see how that was going to happen.

The city was the place to sell the wears, and if the city was not healthy, then the land would not be.

He did not reply but led the two up to his place; it was the top floor of the building, three flights up. It might not seem like much to a Baron, but to Yin it was larger than he alone would ever need. “Dangy, could you get us some tea.” He looked at the two there and smiled. “You will pardon me, I am fasting.” He said with an apologetic grin. He led them to the dining room, a small room with a plain table.

Yin sat in his chair and sat back to listen to what was bring said. “Baron, with all due respect, but is there a reason you are asking her such a personal question? Is there something she is accused of that she must account for her time at another’s place?” Yin sat forward, not liking the accusatory tone in his voice one bit.

Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian shot a sharp glance at Yin, a slight frown creasing his forehead as he contemplated the paladin. Beneath his irritated mein flowed the currents of true displeasure - his indulgence of Sir Lorin's contrary attitude was nearing an end. His perfunctory tone left no doubt as to his feelings.

"Sir Lorin, I would not have asked if there was no reason. Please remember I agreed to your presence as a courtesy - it is not required. Let the lady answer the question without interruption please, or we will be forced to go somewhere else. Without you."

Returning his crisp blue-eyed gaze to Constance, Sebastian inclined his head slightly in invitation. "My apologies, Miss Devois. Now, if we could continue?"
Guido Cercatoro

With a nod of her head, Dagny departed to obtain the tea that the Paladin had ordered.

“It is all right, Yin,” said Constance softly in response to the Paladin's questioning of the Baron’s motives. “I am happy to answer his questions.” Although she spoke confidently, the young girl nervously ran her hands down over her dress and avoided gazing directly at Sebastian as she began her explanation.

“I did visit Murrulbuck lately, Baron, you are correct. Leonius…the Regent… is an acquaintance of mine. He mentioned that he had business there and I asked if I might accompany him. I was at a loose end and I had never been there before. That is all there is to it really.”

Dagny returned with a tray containing the refreshments and deposited them on the table.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian noted Constance's nervous gestures, even if her voice was steady. He tried as best he might to discern any hint of lie in her tone, but to be fair her short answer offered little in the way of details that might expose a falsehood. The baron ignored the tea's arrival for the moment, preferring to follow up on the young lady's answer.

"Ahh, so your travelling to Murrelbuck was your idea? I had expected that the Regent would have invited you along on purpose. I did not believe he was the type to casually pick up attendants along the way." Sebastian eyed Miss Devois closely, while displaying some surprise on his face. "Thank you for enlightening me on the Regent's impulsive side."

The baron waited a long flicker, allowing Constance the opportunity to comment on his own observations regarding Leonius. He hoped she might offer something up, perhaps unintentionally, that would help him divine the truth that much quicker. When the opening passed, used or not, Sebastian moved on.

"Where do you know our Regent from, Miss Devois?" he asked curiously. A shared history might point to something more going on, and better explain Leonius' behaviour in general.

"Also, did anyone else accompany the two of you, or were you a solitary pair making the trip?
Guido Cercatoro

"Ahh, so your travelling to Murrelbuck was your idea? I had expected that the Regent would have invited you along on purpose. I did not believe he was the type to casually pick up attendants along the way." Sebastian eyed Miss Devois closely, while displaying some surprise on his face. "Thank you for enlightening me on the Regent's impulsive side."

Sebastian’s comment has clearly hit a raw nerve for the young girl appeared flustered and her face turned a deep shade of pink. She kept directing quick nervous glances towards the paladin, as if despite her assurances, she found speaking in front of him somewhat difficult.

“Oh, the Regent is never impulsive”, Constance muttered, giving the appearance of talking to herself rather than replying to the Baron. “Everything is planned to the last…” Her words trailed off, perhaps realising that she had said more than she meant to.

"Where do you know our Regent from, Miss Devois?" he asked curiously. A shared history might point to something more going on, and better explain Leonius' behaviour in general.

“I have occasion to be employed by the Regent in …..various capacities,” continued the young girl. I have no family or fortune and so I must make my own way in life, taking employment whenever and wherever I can.”

"Also, did anyone else accompany the two of you, or were you a solitary pair making the trip?

“We were accompanied by Travis, the Regent’s assistant.” A slight frown crossed the girl’s pretty face as she spoke the name. “I believe that he is no longer in the Regent’s employment. The two had some sort of disagreement.”

Return to “KC Archive”