[KC]: Tracking DeRohm's New Man (Laughing King, 26th ET)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

[KC]: Tracking DeRohm's New Man (Laughing King, 26th ET)

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

At the head of the Avenue of Trade in King's Court overlooking a small plaza of cobbled stone sat the Laughing King's Tavern. It was a large inn, as large as any rural coaching inn, and would feature a small, enclosed coach way along with three full stories with a regally steeped rooftop, at least when it was complete. While construction of the Laughing King's Tavern had left two floors complete and largely functional, the top level with it's steep rafters and sturdy walls remained a skeletal frame awaiting completion.

Due to this incomplete appearance, it was with some relief that the weary traveller found the taproom of the inn complete and still the regulars were found beyond the large, thick door through which they would gain entry. The room was low and hazy with the smoke of burning wood and pipe smoke, air that both obscured one's sight yet left behind a pleasant scent to mix with the rich, earthy smells of the dusted floor. To the right was a grand staircase of carved wood leading up to the floors above, and beyond this was the long, broad bar of newly-polished wood. To the left stretched the commons itself, with several small, round tables filling the expanse and several private snugs lining two of the walls, each spilling out more of the soft, golden light that filled the cavernous interior from countless lanterns and sconces. It had been a rough time of rebuilding, but regular patrons of the inn were set upon making sure their second home stayed. Mostly wayward warriors, rugged veterans, and the occasional regular merchant from the Avenue of Trade could be found here. The tavern was ran with exceptional care by the proprietor and with many loyal regulars and seasoned veterans it was no place to look for trouble.

It was something of a longshot, but Sebastian figured his day had been blessed so far and that he might as well ride it out as long as possible. Word had come back a few marks ago from his contacts within the Vanguard and Kingsguard that the man he sought, Leonius' old aide Travis, was now in the employ of the DeRohm family. Wary of his rivalry with DeRohm the Younger, Sebastian had chosen not to seek out Travis at the DeRohm residence. Too many things could go awry in such an unfriendly setting as that. Instead the young baron opted for another approach, to try and catch the man at his favourite watering hole, the Laughing King's Tavern.

Pushing his way through the heavy door, Sebastian entered the tavern and walked slowly to the bar. As he went he refreshed his memory of the place, having only visited sporadically during his time in the city. His roving eyes took in the clientele, not only with the hope that Travis was immediately obvious but also to gauge whether the tavern's reputation as a serious place was deserved or not. Upon reaching the bar, Sebastian placed an elbow on the polished wood and leaned sideways to keep himself open to the room while still being able to converse with the barkeep.

He was dressed in simple clothes of plain material, akin to what he might have been wearing when he first arrived in the city as a fresh-faced country lad. He couldn't suppress a smile when he recalled the confused and curious look on the tailor's face as he purchased the outfit not a mark ago, but Sebastian had remained tight-lipped and paid well for the clothier to do the same. Stripped of his fine tailored clothes and dirtied up just a touch, it was doubtful even casual acquaintances would now recognize him at first glance, so out of context he appeared. Or at least, that was Sebastian's hope.

Catching the barkeep's eyes, Sebastian waited calmly for service. He needed an ale for starters, and perhaps the proprietor could help him find the man he sought.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The main common room of the tavern was fairly crowded with only an occasional table vacant. However, the clientele were generally talking in hushed tones. There was none of the raucous laughter and singing that pervaded many of the other taverns in the city. Scholars, guards, and merchants were sitting in small groups throughout the common room, sipping at beers and nibbling the dishes served by the inn's kitchen. Waiters in white shirts and dark aprons hurried between the tables and fine aromas swam out from the kitchen.

A quick glance around the tavern revealed no evidence of anyone who might resemble Travis. However, there were many dark private snugs that might hide one seeking anonymity or wishing to be discreet.

Behind the wide bar of darkly polished oak was a well groomed man with a small, trim moustache and a knowing smile pasted across his face. “Good even’tide, sir. May I get you a drink or perhaps some food?”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"A drink would be splendid - some Abbey Dark if you have it, or your best substitute otherwise," Sebastian replied, while visibly mulling over the thought of a small dinner too. The aromas issuing from the kitchen were too compelling in the end, and the incognito baron relented fairly quickly. "And yes, I believe some dinner too. Something small but hearty would be perfect, if you have such a dish available this eveningtide."

Sebastian waited there until his beer arrived, and while accepting it from the barkeep he leaned forward slightly and asked after Travis in a private tone. "I was hoping you might also be able to help me with some something more. I was advised that I could find a specific someone here who might be able to help me with a problem of mine. Good with discreet solutions apparently, and that's what I need."

"This man goes by the name of Travis, and I'd appreciate if you know the man, if you could send him over my way." Sebastian slid some extra coins across the counter, and so long as the barkeep did not openly object picked up his glass and sought out a reasonably private table or nook where he could savour his beer, eat his forthcoming meal, and hope for his luck to continue.
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Guido Cercatoro

“You are in luck sir, we just have a new batch of Abbey Dark. As for food, well today’s special is a pork and bean cassoulet which I am sure will meet your requirements.” The barkeep quickly produced the ale and listened intently to Sebastian’s question concerning Travis.

“I am at your service, sir,” nodded the barman as he took the proffered coins. “If you will take a seat, I will pass on your message.”

The Baron found a seat in a secluded corner of the inn. A few burns later his meal arrived. It smelt quite wonderful – the beans, spices and meat combining to give off an intense and heady aroma. It was delivered by a waitress wearing a daringly low cut blouse. As she leant over the table she murmured softly. “The gentleman will be with you in a short while.”

Sebastian would have time to consume most of his meal before he was approached by a tall, dark-haired man of around thirty-five yahren. The clean shaven man wore a plain brown jacket and leggings. He had unremarkable features. Indeed, he was the sort of person you would pass in the street without noticing. As was rather fitting, given his appearance, the man spoke in a bland and rather formal tone.

“I am Travis. How can I help you.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

The ale was excellent, as good as he had tasted in a long while, but Sebastian decided to savour the heady brew rather than quaff it. He was here on business after all, and it was not quite time to begin the celebration. Not just yet.

With a nod of understanding to the barkeep, Sebastian slipped through the common room and found his seat. The speed with which the meal arrived was as comforting as the enticing aromas wafting up from the dish, and between that and the waitress' daring garb the young baron began to think he might have to visit the Laughing King more often. "Thank you, and thank you," he said to his server in a similar hushed tone, offering the lass a small but appreciative smile.

It was a nervous meal for Sebastian as he waited for Travis to appear, perhaps marring an otherwise excellent effort by the tavern's cook, but he simply couldn't help but feel his nervous energy roiling around inside. It was with some relief that Sebastian looked up to see the tall, rather unremarkable man arrive just as he was finishing the last few bites of his dinner.

"Please, have a seat," he said around a mouthful, motioning with a fork for Travis to take a seat. "Would you care for anything? A drink? Some food?" When those niceties were taken care of, Sebastian launched into the reason for his presence.

"I have a problem that I am trying to solve, and I have it on good authority that you are the sort of man who has the right knowledge to help me," he began, resting his utensils on the table and settling back a little in his chair. His hands cupped the ale mug on the edge of the table. "All I am asking right now is for some information, some of your experience. Might I have, say, no more than a mark of your time?"
Guido Cercatoro

The dark-haired man took a seat and shook his head. “Thank you but I must decline. I have just eaten and I do not drink alcohol. It clouds the judgement. However, you may have a mark of my time. Do I know you? What do you want? And, how did you hear of me?”

Travis spoke bluntly but politely, his face betrayed no emotion beyond mild curiosity.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"Suit yourself," shrugged Sebastian, waiting until the man was comfortable before continuing. He noted Travis was blunt, so he figured dancing around the issue would be a waste of time, and might even annoy the man. He stuck to the point, without worrying about sugar-coating things.

"I don't believe we've met before," that baron said, shaking his head in the negative. "And I didn't so much hear about you as find out. I know you're with the DeRohm family now, but what I really want to talk about is something that happened with your last employer, the Major Domus."

"I'm not looking for trade secrets, and I'm not looking for a sacrificial lamb," he explained, hoping to forestall any immediate fear or reprisals in Travis. "What I am looking for is the solution to my problem, the health of Baron Kriesbon."

Sebastian paused a few flickers then, to observe his table guest's reaction and to allow the man a chance to speak. Despite his casual appearance the baron was tense, ready to spring to action if Travis decided flight or fight were his best options.
Guido Cercatoro

Travis showed no sign of concern as the Baron posed his questions. Even when Sebastian mentioned Kriesbon, not a flicker of apprehension crossed the tall man’s face. If he was guilty of poisoning the nobleman, then the former employee of Leonius was either a master at hiding his emotions, or completely untroubled by his actions.

“It is gratifying to know that someone cares about my career,” said Travis, sourly. “Yet, I am not sure how I can help you. It is true that I recently visited Murrelbuck with the regent and it is true that the Baron was taken ill. I am no healer, so I am at a loss to know why you wish to speak to me.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian decided to continue in blunt fashion, since Travis was honouring the same. The man's lack of reaction was disturbing, for Sebastian took it as indicative of a complete lack of passion over the incident. The thought sent a chill through his frame, and Cerise's warning echoed in his head. Still, if the man did not feel threatened by the line of questioning he should be all right.

"I know Kriesbon's condition is not natural," explained the young baron, continuing to intently watch his counterpart across the table. "I also know there was sorcery involved. What I want from you is the part you played in this little drama. The baron's return to health requires that I understand everything that was done to him. To begin meddling without that knowledge might only worsen the situation."

"So," Sebastian asked quite matter-of-factly, "what was your contribution to the current situation?"
Guido Cercatoro

Travis continued to present a blank and untroubled countenance to Sebastian. However, when the dark-haired man spoke again, it was with a cold and unpleasant tone.

“Well if you know that sorcery was involved, you know the bitch who is responsible. I suggest you pursue her rather than myself. I did nothing. And even had I done what you suggest, what possible reason would I have in admitting such a crime?” Again, the man was blunt, yet an almost sly smile crept into one corner of his mouth as he spoke the last sentence.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian snorted, smirking ever so slightly himself. He eyed Travis for a flicker or two, soaking in the arrogant self-assurance fairly oozing from the man.

"Yes, I knew you were not fond of the Major Domus' latest pet," he said, taking a sip from his mug. "I gather your former employer found her a sight prettier than you. Funny, I'd not have thought his tastes ran in that direction." Sebastian let the insult to Leonius hang in the air for a long breath, gauging Travis' reaction. He was going to play the revenge card, and was hoping to get some clue as to its potential impact.

"It must be difficult, getting replaced after yahren of faithful and efficient service, all by a pretty face and some parlor tricks. And just when the Major Domus is about to launch himself into the next level of society." Sebastian shook his head in mock disbelief at such a callous dismissal. "Thanks so much, don't mind the footprints on your back there, my good man!"

"Seems to me that you'd be more than happy to sabotage your usurper, and by extension your thankless boss. Perhaps by adding a morbid twist to their plot?" Sebastian's crisp blue eyes kept an intense watch on Travis, looking for any openings.

"But it's all just conjecture, you will say," allowed the baron, shrugging. "There's no proof, because you are too smart for that. Those whom the subtle blows are aimed at will know the truth. Fair enough."

"Now, why should you admit anything? I have already said I am not here for a scapegoat, and I spoke truly. What I am here for is the baron's return to health. And I can think of three things I can offer in return." Clasping his hands on the tabletop, Sebastian leaned forward slightly as he enumerated the options.

"One, I will avoid the coarse ploy of making your life miserable, or ending it entirely. It gains me nothing, and although you obviously benefit I doubt it carries as much weight as my other offers. You just don't seem the type for threats. Still, there it is," he shrugged.

"Two, I can offer money. While I'm sure both the Major Domus and the De Rohms pay well, I still believe we could find a mutually agreeable sum for this service."

"Three, and I suspect most importantly, I can make the Major Domus pay. I can grant you lasting revenge on the man who dismissed you like so much chaff."
Guido Cercatoro

Sebastian’s jibe concerning Constance “replacing” Travis hit home and for the first time, the dark-haired man appeared edgy and uncomfortable. The mention of Leonius added to the ma’s unease and his eyes darkened before he snorted a quick retort.

“The next level of society, you say? The fat pig is more suited to the farmyard than the court.” Hatred oozed from the man, dripping out of every pore of his skin and almost poisoning the air in the tavern by its intensity. His cool had now completely gone, to be replaced by a feral but cunning look as Sebastian outlined his offer.

“I continue to maintain that I had nothing to do with the Baron's health problem,” began Travis slowly. It was clear that despite his loss of composure, there was no way that the man was going to admit any wrongdoing. “However, given the description of his health problems, it is possible I may be able to find some remedy that may help. I am skilled in such matters and I would be willing to supply you this anti…er remedy for a price. Eight crowns is what is needed for it contains rare ingredients. However, the main price is that you deliver on your promise to see the Regent brought down. I may be able to provide you with certain herbs should you wish….”

“I will guarantee the remedy for the Baron will work but I can do nothing for anything caused by the mage. I can have it ready tomorrow morningtide if you return here with the money.”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Despite his intent to evoke Travis' hatred of Leonius, Sebastian was still unprepared for the intensity of the man's reaction when he finally allowed his true feelings to show. A small part of his mind wondered if the DeRohms knew just what they had in their employ, and another suddenly placed more stock in Cerise's warning to be careful. Sebastian used another small sip from his mug to buy time for strengthening his composure, before replying to Travis' counter-offer.

"Eight crowns for the...remedy, to be collected tomorrow morningtide," he agreed without haggling. Travis had been blunt the whole time, and Sebastian had no inkling the man was gouging him on price. His hatred was almost physically substantial - it seemed to Sebastian that money was the least of Travis' concerns. No, it was Leonius he wanted. And besides, he was not about to further jeopardize Cerise's father's life over a few coins!

"And I shall look after the Major Domus," he also promised, guiltily feeling a thrill of anticipation as he said it. "Your offer of continued assistance is acknowledged, but I think it would be a greater triumph to have the man living in the lowest muck for the rest of his days, pouring over all he has lost. Is that not more delicious than simply ending his life?"
Guido Cercatoro

A rather unpleasant smile spread across the poisoner’s face as the Baron talked of bringing Leonius down. “If you succeed than it will be as delicious as you describe. And, I will be in your debt. However, if you fail, then I may pursue him by other means.”

Travis stood. “Until tomorrow.” With a brief nod, he vanished back into the confines of one of the dark corners of the tavern.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"Fair enough," Sebastian conceded with a nod, when Travis vowed to get Leonius even if the baron failed. He watched the man depart toward another corner of the tavern, although none too closely. Their business was concluded for now, and Sebastian did not want to draw more attention to their conversation than necessary.

Seeing that his mug was nearly empty, he flagged down the waitress when she glanced his way and ordered another. Despite the apparent success of the encounter, Sebastian was unsettled by the exchange. Travis was a dark soul, and despite the good ends toward which he worked Sebastian felt soiled by his dealings with the man. By even associating with a man of Travis' character, or lack thereof, it felt to the young baron that he was sacrificing a small part of his own morality. That he stood to benefit from his "selfless" concern clouded the matter even more.

When the new ale arrived he thanked the waitress with a grateful smile, but spent the next half-mark stewing over the dark brew, trying to convince himself that he was doing what was necessary to save his beloved's father, and that other concerns must remain secondary to such a true purpose. If only the heady drink were more eloquent in its effects...
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: summary as promised)

Sebastian returned the next day to find Travis already waiting and eager to hand over the potion in return for the eight crowns. The remedy was contained in a small, green glass bottle and the Baron was informed that it should be combined with a little wine before giving to Kriesbon. The poisoner warned that a likely side effect was severe vomiting but that a noticeable improvement should be seen within a few hours and full recovery within a few days.

“Contact me here, if you ever need my services,” were Travis’ final parting words.
Guido Cercatoro

Locked for skilling
Guido Cercatoro

Skilled

Return to “KC Archive”