[KC: Basilica] Divine Devotion [Tyrone] Chy 27, Dawn (OPEN)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Tyrone
The Jackal

[KC: Basilica] Divine Devotion [Tyrone] Chy 27, Dawn (OPEN)

Post by Tyrone »

Basilica Dominici

Set on its own pathway within the boulevard of temples in King's Court, stands the Basilica Dominici- the Temple of The One. Alabaster walls stand as testaments to the purity of the One True Faith. Surrounded on all sides by a tall and impressive wall, the church manages to avoid looking like a fortress- tall and elegant sculptures standing along the edges- pictures of saints and angels taken from Dominicus's dogma. An experienced clergyman might recognize the Chronicler Oren or the Cardinal Kern; Drakedoder and Berkeley. The present rain runs along the sculptures, giving them an appearance of sadness and woe, as if the saints themselves weep for the King's Court at present.

In the center of the wall there is a massive gate- ornately crafted in silver metal that is blessed to never rust, until the faith of all men within should fail. The ornate entrance is always held open- just as the arms of Dominicus himself are always open to new followers. Just within the gates is a splendid garden, lush in its greenery and vibrant in its flowers- tended by some of the most religiously devout monks to walk the face of Tazlure. Perhaps it is this devotion that allows this garden to remain pure and luminous despite the rain and cold- where all other gardens might fail. The main path leads directly forward, hedged in by the shrubs of the garden itself at waist height, leading directly toward the main chapel, the tallest building in the entire complex- smaller walkways branching off, to the less-important structures.

It is the main chapel that is most impressive, however, remarkable in its height and elegance- essentially a circular building, bound on all sides by columns and arches. There are other sculptures set in the alcoves and upon the roof, here, a tall spire stretching upward from the entire mass- spiraling into the heavens- capped in a gilded depiction of an eye, the symbol of The One. In all times, the chapel is doubtless inviting- but especially so in the current rain, seeming to beckon any approaching travellers forth, into the soothing warmth it provides- the entry chamber visible behind tall doors, partially open- a fire burning within, with deep and comfortable-looking couches set just within the oversized portals. All were welcome to enter freely, especially converts.

[hr][/hr]
Dawn, Lyrday, 27th of Chyril, In the Year of our Lord, Dominicus, 1225 AD

It was the Liturgical Hour of Lauds, the dawn prayer. It was still dark and the early morning breeze breathed through the empty corridors of the Basilica Dominici, flickering the candles and torches that illuminated the statues and marble hallways of the main chapel. Outside, from the garden, a dark figure moved, silently walking along the garden path, the sky dark gray above and from the east, a dash of orange and red hues could be seen clashing against the sombre color of the early morning dark sky. The figure was garbed in a monk's robe, woolen and black and his face was hidden beneath a deep cowl as he lightly and silently moved forward, his arms were folded before his chest, hidden by his long, wide sleeves. He was the Jackal, a dark achadhiel, and he was here to start his early morning ritual and devotion.

The figure moved passed the garden, ignoring the early morning beauty that surrounds him, and walked under the blank stares of the statues that adorned the Basilica and entered the main chapel, his robes rustling and swishing as he moved forward and stopping before the main altar, the young monk reverently genuflected and made the holy sign of the One.

It was silent and Tyrone could hear the loud early morning wind breezing through the empty corridors of the church. His breathe seemed loud to him as well and he frowned as he looked around the empty church. Usually, on his monastery, at this time, their small chapel should be filled by now by the presence of his brother monks attending the early morning devotion of Lauds, but here, the church was empty. Their order was monastic, he understood that, but, there should have been someone here as well, praising Dominicus for His gift of another day. Well, he would be enough, and the young postulant knew, that back in World's Mouth, his devoted brother monks would be up and chanting loudly in praise of the One God.

Casting a last look around, hoping to see another soul, Tyrone sighed and returned his eyes back more to the main altar and slowly, with a quiet rustle of his robe, the young zealot knelt and from his wide sleeve, he took an ancient, tattered, small book. Horologion, the title read, a book of psalms, verse, & prayers for the liturgical hours. The liturgical prayers were supposed to be recited with another person and he regreted the fact the he was alone inside this empty, hallowed church. Slowly, the young monk opened the small book and flipped through the pages. For a flicker of a candlemark, he missed his brother monks back in the monastery: small Brother Asprer, Brother Malvas, Brother Talavera and Brother Jorichson with his tall, lean, dark, frame, angular face and deep voice. Finding the right week and month for the liturgy, he breathed a small sigh of peace and with his gray eyes burning with fanaticism, Tyrone made the sign of the One and opened his lips to start his devotion, his voice reverberating and echoing and bouncing off the walls of the empty chapel:

"Oh God, make haste to help me.
Oh Lord, speedily come to my aid.
Glory be to the One God, Dominicus,
As it was in the beginning, is now and will be, forever, Amen.
"

He looked down on his small book and flipped through the pages for the right antiphon to sing: "Lord, within you lies the spring of life, halleluia!" He sang and then flipped once more through the pages for the right prayer to recite, The Benedictus:

"Blessed be the Lord the God, Dominicus,
who has come to his people and set them free.
Through his holy prophets God promised of old
to save us from our enemies, from the hands of all that hate us,
To show mercy to our ancestors,
and to remember his holy covenant.
This was the oath God swore to our forefathers:
to set us free from the hands of our enemies,
Free to worship him without fear,
holy and righteous in his sight all the days of our life.
In the tender compassion of our God
the dawn from on high shall break upon us,
To shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death,
and to guide our feet into the way of peace...
"

With his voice lingering in the air, the young postulant still kneeling upon the floor before the holy altar bowed his head and basked in the peace and serenity of the Basilica.
Last edited by Tyrone on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[size=75]Avatar from:[url=http://artofphilwohr.blogspot.com/2007/08/redmist-castle-work.html]Phil Wohr[/url]
[hr][/hr]
[i][b]"Hate thy neighbours for they hate you even more."[/i][/b]
[hr][/hr]
Posting: Once/week[/size]
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Silence filled the chapel for flickers as the young acolyte monk knelt before the altar of Dominicus. Outside, it was still cold, the early morning wind bending the grass and the leaves on the trees proclaiming the new dawn of the rising sun that was gently peaking from the distant mountain, bathing the eastern sky with pink and golden hues.

Slowly, with a gentle rustle of his woolen robe, the Jackal lifted himself up and flipped once more through the pages of his small prayer book and finding the right page, he lifted his head and sang the first religious song for the Liturgical Hour of Lauds:

"Sing a new song unto the Lord
Let your song be sung from mountains high.
Sing a new song unto the Lord
Singing alleluia."

"Dominicus' people dance for joy.
Oh come before the Lord.
And play for him on glad tambourines,
And let your trumpet sound."

His voice, though untrained, effortlessly echoed around empty church acompannied with the birds chirping outside, both praising Dominicus for the birth of a new day and the early morning dawn.

Singing alleluia."

"Rise oh children from your sleep.
Your Savior now has come.
He has turned your sorrow to joy,
And filled your soul with song."

Singing alleluia."

With his voice lingering in the air, the young devotee bowed his head once more and basked in the serenity and calmness of the empty church. Nevermind that he was alone in adoring Dominicus, nevermind that church was devoid of any other monks, in his heart, he hoped that the Holy Dove would recieve his praise and his deep devotion and he knew, deep down in his heart, he was joining his voice with the voices of his brother monks back in the Monastery of World's Mouth in praising the wonders of the One God, Dominicus, and for him, that would be enough.
Last edited by Tyrone on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75]Avatar from:[url=http://artofphilwohr.blogspot.com/2007/08/redmist-castle-work.html]Phil Wohr[/url]
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

As Tyrone wound through his worship, he came to realize that he was not as alone as he had thought.

As he finished his latest refrain, it slowly permeated his conscious mind that there was a hooded and robed figure standing silent and motionless, just inside the doors of the chapel.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

He didn’t know how long he stood there; perhaps more than a measure of flickers had passed basking under the glory of Dominicus, when another presence permeated his consciousness which was intently focused on his devotion. Standing right before the main altar, the Jackal turned and fully looked at the figure standing silently just inside the doorway of the Basilica. Was he here to practice the morning rite of Lauds? He was late if he was. Tyrone had started the Invitatory, the Benedictus and the morning hymn but there were still a lot of prayers to do for the morning ritual of Lauds and right now, it was the time for reflections. Usually, it was a time for meditation. Some monasteries took a vow of silence but Tyrone’s abbey was not one of those. Of course, some of his brothers in the monastery took time to silently reflect and ponder the grace and miracle of the One God while some had hushed discussions about the word of the Lord and Tyrone was one of the pre-novice monks who took time to ponder and reflect.

With a slight, grave nod to the hooded figure, the Jackal of the Order of Purificatio moved away from the main altar. He walked silently towards one of the benches near the doorway, his woolen robe rustling and billowing under the hushed silence of the church and sat down on one of the bench and stared at the looming symbol of the One God in the tabernacle, his gray eyes burning with faithful zeal.
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

After several moments, Tyrone could here the swishing sound of the others robes getting closer to his position.

Closer now, Tyrone, can identify the robes of an initiate. A faint odor reaches his nose, something familiar, yet the exact nature eluded him. In the relatively low light of the Basilicas interior, noting else was discernable.

The initiate stops opposite Tyrone, and kneels facing the alter. A pendent, similar to Tyrone’s, clutched in rather small effeminate hands clasped in a gesture of prayer.

After about a burn, the figure rises and turns toward Tyrone. Getting a brief glance under the cowl of the robes hood, Tyrone briefly gets the impression of the features of a human girl, maybe around sixteen or seventeen.

A female voice, if somewhat sad and melancholy in sound, addresses him. “Brother, you should not be here! The Basilica is closed for restoration for the next several days!”

Indeed, a glance around the shadowy perimeter reveals many boxes, paints, brushes, tool, and materials.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

He was more surprised by her gender rather than the Basilica’s restoration and he sat there muted as he stared at her with wide-opened eyes. They were, of course, women who were called by Dominicus to the service of the One True Church but the Jackal had never heard of any women entering the priesthood or joining the Order of the Purifucatio. There was Miri, the Prophetess, whom Tyrone had heard uttered by Sir Yin Lorin when he had met him under the very same roof of the Basilica, but it was ages ago, perhaps, another lifetime. But here she was, a woman, a female human, standing before him, garbed in the same robe he was wearing and he didn’t know how to react, should he stand against it? Women, were of course, weak in faith and any woman standing in the very pulpit of the Basilica saying mass was very much unsettling and the very notion of a woman as a priest of the One was very much an alien thought for the young monk of the Purificatio.

Many are called but few are chosen. Tyrone remembered the very words that the abbots of his Monastery proclaimed, and he considered himself, an unworthy being called by Dominicus and still wear the habit of the Purificatio. If he, a creature sunk in the very low of sin and transgression could enter the service of the Church, then, any women with profound devotion, even though their very nature proclaimed them lacking in faith, could also devout all of their time to the proclamation of the Gospel of Dominicus and serve Him faithfully. It took him a long time to ponder that, brought up in a conservative idea that men were the very foundation of the Church, but ponder he did and slowly, the dark achadhiel monk approved of it, surmising that the One Church would be able to lift the faith of any women, directing them against sin and transgression, which, by their very nature, women were easily succumbed to. Turning his attention to the shadowy corners of the church, Tyrone could easily discern that the Basilica was indeed under restoration proving that the human woman was indeed telling the truth which he was indeed doubtful a few flickers ago by the very sight of her being a woman. His regard of her was indeed growing; here was a woman who devoted her time to the Holy Church, a complete opposite from the whore woman he had seen yesterday at the Tavern.

“Forgive me…” The Jackal paused and frowned, unsure if he should call him a brother of the faith and settled in calling her a sister of the faith. “Forgive me, Sister.” He continued, his voice hushed, not wanting to profane the sanctity of the Basilica. “I just came back yesterday and I know not of what’s been happening.” She was quite young, the postulant monk could see that, perhaps much younger than him. “I did not notice that the Basilica was under restoration and the Bishop Lazos did not mention it last night when I had my audience with him.” He then frowned and stood up with a faint rustle of his monk’s robe, the early morning sun bathing his face and revealing his half-ancestry. Where could he finish the morning ritual of Lauds? There were still a lot of prayers and mantras to do to finish the morning Lauds: The Intercession, Dominicus’ Canticle, The Closing Prayer and the Dismissal.

“Perhaps, you could direct me to a small chapel where I could finish the morning Lauds, Sister.” Should he also ask her if she wanted to join? He wasn’t sure if he should, interactions with women were beyond his understanding and he shuffled anxiously as he curiously stared at her and her robe under his hood, wondering if she was an initiate of an Order, a Diocesan or the Lay Ministry. "Pray tell, Sister," Tyrone could not but help asked. "What Order do you belong to?"
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

At this much closer distance, Tyrone was able to see that there were some differences between the woman’s robes and his own. Specifically, a pattern woven into its borders. While he could not place the design, it was obviously a variation of symbolism seen in many other repeating religious patterns. The sash was also colored and knotted in an odd fashion.

She did not seem to react remarkably to Tyrone’s mixed heritage. And she seemed lost in thought for several flickers before responding. She was wondering if the person before her knew how to read. After all the sign outside the entrance was rather obvious. And did provide alternate worship sites.Though the morning hours could be somewhat dark, she could not image anyone missing it. It was also obvious to her that Tyrone was feeling some ill comfort in her presence.

She decided that decorum was called for, as she did not know this person.

“I did not mean to intrude on your worship Brother. But I heard your voice and knew the Basilica was closed. Most of the buildings have smaller chapels where the rites are being conducted.’

“I am Sister Caronasa, from the Convent of Santa Alaralius.”

In a toneless and emotionless voice, Caronasa added; “I have been apprenticed to the Hall of Records, under Father Garionus.”

In a more normal voice she continued. “If you are in need I can direct you. Though I fear most are finishing their devotions by this time.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

ooc: I quickly checked Ty's skills and I realized he really didn't know how to read! Oh dear! This can't do! Would it still be possible to replace one of the skills for literacy?

"Dominicus be with you, Sister Caronasa." The young dark achadhiel intoned ceremoniusly upon hearing her name. "I am Brother Tyrone, Novitiate Monk of the Order of the Purificatio in the Diocese of Prodesse." Tyrone wasn't sure if he should smile at her and decided to just give him a grave, pious nod. "No, you are not intruding, Sister. I am on my Reflections now. I am grateful that you did, I was most eager to conduct the morning Lauds that I didn't really notice the Basilica was under restoration." She was polite and all manners, the Jackal could sense that and his approval of her was most increasing.

"That is most inappropriate," The monk frowned to himself. He had wanted to join the other monks for the morning devotion but he realized that he was already to late. "I fear I am already too late then, Sister Caronasa. It would be very unseemly if I disrupt their morning devotions. But I would be very grateful, Sister, if you could direct me to a secluded chapel, perhaps, I could finish my prayers there. Would you..." He broke off, his stomach tying in a fretful knot. "...like to join me finish the morning Lauds, Sister?"

"The Hall of Records..." Tyrone murmured delictately, hearing the underlying tone from her as he stepped silenty and waited for the woman to leave the Basilica. "A most seemly vocation, Sister Caronasa." He nodded with a tone of approval, it was the right choice and assignment for a woman of the habit. "But you seem unimpressed by such an undertaking, Sister." He prodded gently, his gray eyes penetrating. It was then he realized that the woman might be able to help him. The Hall of records mught contain information about the Keeper of the Codex whom the apostate poet had mentioned yesterday.

"What are your duties in the Hall of Records, Sister Caronasa?" He asked politely. "I pray that you are not offended by my questioning for I am most curious to know."
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

OOC: It is a bit late to be modifying character sheets. Tyrone should probably look for someone who could mentor him in the art of literacy. After all it does not take much effort to acquire the basic skill level…

Sister Caronasa performs a small curtsey when Tyrone introduces himself. “I am honored to make your acquaintance brother.”

“I was on my way to the Hall of Records. While I worship with the other sisters, I seem to have developed a predisposition to finish the morning rituals in silent reflection and prayer. “ Caronasa responds to Tyrones question about finishing the morning rituals. “There is a small chapel just off the entry way. It is quiet and peaceful. A perfect place for reflection and introspection.”

Moving to join Tyrone, She continues, “I would be honored if you would join me brother. It is not far.” She points across the Court yard towards one of the other buildings.

“My current work is the copying of manuscripts.” There seems to be a real passion in her voice. “It is great opportunity, and I feel singularly blessed to be able to spend my days reading some of the great historical writings. Though the writing is tedious, it is worth the tedium to have access to so much.”

A slight sigh escapes her lip as the enthusiasm seems to drain away. “Unfortunately I seem to find myself almost constantly at odds with my supervisor. Forgive me brother, it is my penance to bear, and I should not bother you with it.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

A woman of scholarly mind, how remarkable! "No, the honor is mine, Sister Caranosa." He gave her a grave smile. Women, by their very nature were fickle in their faith as well as unlettered and Tyrone was surprised that the she knew how to read and write. Here was a woman of great mind and great faith and his approval of her was increasing by the very flicker of knowing her. Slowly, he started his silent steps towards the direction she had pointed.

"You seem to enjoy your work very much, Sister Caranosa. I must confess, I am not well versed with books and letters and I must confess, such work is much tedious for me." He gave her a wry smile under his hood. "I seem to recall the abbots who had been teaching me philosophy and theology were very vexed when it was time to lecturing me. But they tried to persevere patiently, perhaps, they thought it as their penance." He showed the sister his own copy of the Horologion, a small, tattered, binded prayer book, much used and dog-marked. "My brothers were helping me with this but I am not well versed with reading everything. I was most interested with..." He trailed off, unsure of what to say. "...other studies. But, through the yahrens, I was able to understand a little of it. The letterings and the paintings are most exquisite. My brothers in the scriptorium of our monastery are very talented. I do not have such talent, perhaps, Dominicus in His wisdom, deigned it for me to focus my studies elsewhere. I do applaud and approve your passion, though, Sister Caronasa and I pray that you use your gift to the proliferation of the wonders of the Word of God."

"Oh, but you are not bothering me, Sister." The young dark achadhiel insisted, glad that he was able to talk to someone of the same faith, someone who was lettered and faithful, albeit a woman. "Perhaps, through the grace of Dominicus, you may be shown the light and understanding of your penance. Tell me, Sister, why are you at odds with Father Garonius? I am assuming that the Father is your supervisor, pray tell, correct me if I am wrong." Perhaps, you are a sinful woman! He added silently, frowning down at the woman beside him.
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Caranosa nodded at Tyrone’s words. “Yes I can well understand. The basic drills which we use to teach the art leaves much to be desired. I personally feel people would learn much faster with actual material to read. That was the way I was, I had to really struggle through the basics. But then one day by Dominicus blessing, it all seemed to come together. It was after that I realized the passion for the written word. But like anything, it is one of many skills that Dominicus gifts us with. No more valuable or less valuable than any other skill. As Dominicus tells us; One body of many people with many abilities to raise up the church.”

“Mostly I copy. Hymnals and prayer books and the like. I have been told I have a deft and quick hand. There is always a demand, and one becomes very familiar with the content after the first fifty or so. But yesterday was a real blessing. Bishop Lazos has put in a request for copies of works from the vault. And because it was a rush job, I got the honor. The bishop requested copies of everything from the vault referring to the spirit of the jackal. Some fascinating works that most people are unaware of. I still have about a half dozen manuscripts to finish. But I am prattling on, forgive me.”

“As far as Father Garonius,” Caranosa continues in a more subdued voice, “Please, I do not wish to cast aspersions. The incidents are in the past and will most likely not be repeated. And Father Garonius is, after all, a brilliant scholar and historian.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Tyrone felt the goosebumps rising all over his skin and thought his goosebumps might have goosebumps on top of it. Her words left him stunned right on his track as he felt himself shivering under the early morning light. He didn’t know how long he stood there gawking at the woman, his mouth hanging open, his face ashen under the shadows of his cowl. “What do you know about the Jackal?” The monk of the Purifcatio hissed as he moved close within an inch of the sister and found himself firmly clutching the arms of the woman.

What am I doing? He shouted within the chambers of his mind, aghast by his actions as he looked at Sister Caranosa with shame and growing alarm. “Forgive me, sister!” He cried out loud as he jumped back, greatly surprised by the vehemence of his voice earlier as he shamefully looked at the woman before him, greatly ashamed yet her words lingered within the silence of his mind.

“Your words caught me by surprise, Sister. Please, forgive me.” The young monk pleaded, lifting his hand as if to touch the woman and thought against it, unsure of how to act, unsure of how to respond, and being innocent, he had never lied before and thought it against his vow to utter the untruth before this woman whom he had thought was worthy of the grace of Dominicus even if she was a woman.

“Sister…” He pleaded still a few paces away from the woman, afraid of frightening her more. “The abbots of my monastery named me the Jackal.” Tyrone whispered ever so silently it was hardly inaudible, his gray eyes staring at Sister Caranosa penetratingly. "You must tell me all you know..."
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Searching the chapels and coming up empty, Anistis eventually tried, in despiration, the main sanctuary in the Bascillica, knowing full well that it was closed for repairs. As he entered, he found two figures engaged in what seemed like an intense conversation. Anistis had perhaps heard a raised voice as he approached the sanctuary, and he could feel the tension still present in the air.

Not wishing to disturb them, Anistis approached slowly with halting steps. If noticed, he would stammer his appologies.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

As Caranosa pulled away, her hood feel backwards revealing her face caring an expression of fear and revulsion at the sudden actions of Tyrone. Mentally the events of four years ago played through her mind, she vividly recalled what Garonius had tried. Thankfully she had matured enough that he was no longer interested. And she was a mere thought away from ending this scene like she had ended the one so many years ago. She got a grim sort of satisfaction that the kick she had landed between his legs had laid Garonius up for a month.

Tyrone had pulled back not a moment to soon.

“named me the Jackal”

Tyrones utterance of those words had the effect of a bucket of cold water. Caranosa just paused for a flicker, a jumble of fear and curiosity. Pull yourself together girl, he must be either deceived or deluded. Or maybe some of the things said about the Purificatio were true?

Caranosa quickly calmed herself down. “Of course brother, you are obviously under some extreme duress.” She took a moment to straighten her hair and pull her hood up once more.

When he had stood close to her, Tyrone had noticed she smelled of lavender and old parchment, a not unpleasing aroma. Her skin was a smooth olive completion with dark eyes framed by raven tresses that were cut short. His close approach also revealed that whatever else, under that robe she was definitely a woman.

Caranosa assumed an almost schoolteacher like attitude that reminded Tyrone of some of his teachers back at the abbey. “The Jackal, at least according to what I have read so far, is a spirit of retribution occasionally sent by Dominicus to carry his judgment against the church or specific church members gone astray. The spirit does inhabit a mortal vessel to do its work. But if such a being was dwelling within you, you would know it.”

“It has been written that signs and portents do precede its coming, pointing to the host. Though it is implied that some with the gift can see the in a persons aura whether they might be a vessel for the spirit of retribution. It is never known for sure till the spirit comes.”

Caranosa sighs. “The last time the jackal manifested was some two hundred yarn ago. It took the body of the apostate archbishop Jaxomen.”

“But this is all a subject for latter discussion. We seem to have company.” Caranosa turns slightly towards Anistis. “Borther, is there something you need or require?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

As he looked closer, Anistis could see that the figures in the room were a woman and a man. Anistis was surpirsed to see that the man was of a very striking appearance- one of the dark-skinned Adhiel, as far as the young acolyte could judge. Anistis had heard very little of them; only that they came from someplace far distant from the Western Kingdom. While this was somewhat exotic and curious to Anistis, he wasn't as concerned with what the man looked like as he was with whether he was the one he'd been sent to speak to. For the time being, though, he continued to keep his distance and let the two speak.

Listening to the woman, Anistis' eyes widened until they were two enormous green disks. A spirit of retribution? Perhpas this was what the meeting of the elder priests was about. The Church and indeed the kingdom had undergone so much upheaval in the past several yahren, and both were now in such a state of disarray that there was no telling what of the many things that had happened could have incited the wrath of Dominicus. Was He repaying wrath for wrath in the wake of the war? Anistis said a silent prayer that this wrath would not destroy and that Dominicus would bring a swift end to suffering and bind up the wounds of His just chastizement.

The young acolyte was so caught up in the woman's story and his own reverie that he started when she addressed him.

"I-I'm very sorry to disturb you," Anistis began, stepping out into the light and facing the dark-skinned man. "Um, Brother Tyrone? Again, I'm really sorry to be a bother, but I was asked to find you and let you know that the bishop needs to see you in his office this trade tide after lunch."
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Tyrone both felt and saw the instant fear and repugnance of Sister Caranosa from the actions that he had done earlier and he wanted to pull the rocks from the soil and hide himself from profound shame and misery. He couldn't understand his feelings, she was merely a woman and he didn't know why he wanted her approval so badly. She was distant now, Tyrone could understand that, and he wasn't sure how to act before her now that he had somewhat violated her personal space.

If the Jackal was stunned by her previous words, the postulant monk of the Inquisition was more than paralyzed now by her explanation. He felt as if the ground he was standing suddenly cracked open and he was swallowed, regurgitated, and then slapped a dozen times in the face.

Jackal. Retribution. Jaxomen. Manifestation. Two Hundred Yahrens Ago. Her words echoed and echoed within his mind, piling together in a chaotic mess until he couldn't understand what he was thinking about. "I do not understand..." Tyrone could only mutter, numbed, troubled, unable to believe what he had heard. "I do not understand...." He muttered once more, frowning at Sister Caranosa but his eyes had this distant, troubled gleam. Signs. Visions. Spirit. He started to shiver unsure if he was going deranged. Perhaps he was, but... why did the Abbots of my monastery trained me so hard? Why did they specifically called me the Jackal?

Then you shall have another name, henceforth you will also be called as The Jackal. Tyrone could almost hear the words of his abbots once more, remembering their exultant voices when he had taken the vow of obedience and the habit as a postulant monk of the Purificatio. For you shall purge Tazlure off the blood of your sins like a jackal hunting its prey. And when you are ready for the purification, Tazlure shall be cleansed anew.

"Sister... You must..." The dark achadhiel said desperately and was cut off when the woman turned to someone Tyrone didn't notice appearing. He growled in frustration as he turned to the newcomer and would have wanted to lash out against the interruption but he quickly checked himself, although he still appeared slightly bewildered by the words he had heard from Sister Caranosa.

Anistis wrote:"I-I'm very sorry to disturb you. Um, Brother Tyrone? Again, I'm really sorry to be a bother, but I was asked to find you and let you know that the bishop needs to see you in his office this trade tide after lunch."

He closed his eyes, trying to calm his impatience and anger at such intrusion and it took him a few flickers of a moment before he opened them, first turning to Sister Caranosa with a small nod and a deep breathe before giving his attention back to the Novitiate Brother. "No, do not apologize, brother." Tyrone replied, his voice low and melodious, giving him a friendly nod. "Yes, I am brother Tyrone and this is Sister Caranosa." He gestured at the woman. "Sister Caranosa was directing me to a secluded chapel so we could finish the morning ritual of Lauds. Thank you for giving me the information..."

He wanted to continue his conversations with the woman but he wasn't sure if he could in the presence of the young novice priest. He was still troubled and it was clearly evident on his face as he took a furtive glance back at the woman and realizing his lack of manners, he turned once more to Anistis. "Would you like to join us, Brother...?" Tyrone fished for his name and hoped that the presence of another person would somehow lessen the distance of Sister Caranosa. He needed her now, he needed to know more about the Spirit of the Jackal and how it pertains to himself.

ooc: Er-- I think I'm going to have a time-knot, Danomel. Ty's already in a meeting with Skuttles this TT in the Bardic College.
Last edited by Tyrone on Sun May 11, 2008 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

"Anistis," the novice supplied. His smile was warm and friendly, his nervousness dispelled by Tyrone's welcome. "I am glad to meet you both. I'd be happy to join you for Lauds; I originally had a class this morning, but that was cancelled on account of an important meeting of the elder priests."

For a moment, Anistis wanted to ask Tyrone if he knew what the meeting might have been about- if his arrival in Kings Court had anything to do with it. He knew, however, that this was not his place. If it was the will of the One that he should know these things, he would learn. Instead, he considered Tryone and Caranosa's privacy.

"Of course, if it would be too much of an intrusion, I'm sure I can find another place to pray, or other tasks to perform. I wouldn't want to be a bother."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“Don’t be absurd Brother Anistis, it is already growing late. Caranosa gives a small curtsey to Anistis. She points to one of several medium sized building down the street. “The Hall of Records, there is a small chapel off the entryway. Please follow me.”

For a flicker she focuses her eyes on Tyrone, a slight frown upon her lips. She seems to reach some sort of decision and turns towards the hall of records. “Brother Tyrone, we should finish this discussion after morning prayers.”

Approaching the Hall of Records in the growing morning light, tt can be seen that the rear of the building is of slightly different construction than the front. More solidly built of large blocks with no windows. “The back part of the building is the vault where the most important and sacred of church writings are kept.” Caranosa explains. “Very few have access.”

Entering the building, a short hall runs forward about 30 feet ending in a rather stoiut and obviously locked door. The normal archives are to the right with several offices on the left hand side. Taking the first left, a door opens onto a small chapel of perhaps twenty seats. There are flowers on the alter, and candles burning on each end. An oil lamp hanging form the ceiling provides additional light. A stained glass window to the left lets in some of the early morning light.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Still preoccupied with the revelation he had known from Sister Caranosa, the Jackal of the One gave the woman an understanding look and perfunctory nodded at Brother Anistis before moving forward with silent steps, following the learned sister to the Halls of Record. Was it fate that led him to Sister Caranosa? Was it the hands of Dominicus that guide him? Sinner as he was, he couldn't believe that the Holy Spirit of the One God, His wrath and retribution, would possess him. But then, God works in mysterious ways, Tyrone mused as he walked, deep in thought, and his Wisdom is unfathomable to man. He wasn't sure if he would be troubled and he realized that he wasn't. Had he not been trained by his abbots, he would have trembled with fear, what troubled him was that he didn't know what he would be doing and perhaps, Sister Caranosa was shown to him by the Holy Ghost of the One God so that he would learn his path and his duties and without the Holy Avatar, Dominicus was forced to work with a mere woman.

Deep in his pontification, the dark achadhiel Oneist silently walked the corridors of the Halls of Record indifferently, his eyes distant and unreadable. He would need help, that much he understood. Tyrone wasn't literate enough to read and his academic studies were so unprofound that he was, as his brother monk in his Monastery chided him as illiterate. Tyrone wasn't sure if Sister Caranosa would help him, she had her duties, but, perhaps... He frowned and took a quick glance at Brother Anistis. Perhaps, the young novice would know how to read, the problem was that he wasn't sure if the young man could be trusted enough, Tyrone's mission was important enough and he knew he wouldn't be able to lie to another brother or sister of the faith. If only he could have words from his abbots back in the Diocese of Prodesse, but his diocese had been silent too long since World Mouth had seperated from the Western Kingdom and the silence was troubling him profoundly.

Sister Caranosa wrote:“The back part of the building is the vault where the most important and sacred of church writings are kept. Very few have access.”

His thoughts were cut off when they passed the Vault of Records and he took a lingering look at the bolted door when they passed it, knowing that whatever manuscripts and scriptures that lie inside would be unreachable to him even if they were before him on that moment. He wouldn't be able to read them properly, he couldn't even properly read the Horologion and that was the basic book of prayers that were given to the pre-novice back at his monastery. Dominicus, perhaps, in His Wisdom, had deigned it to gift him with other skills and reading and writing were not part of it.

He would cross the bridge when he get there, right now, it was his duty to finish his morning prayers, a duty and responsibility of any monks and postulants of the One and having taken a vow of obedience, he sternly obeyed every commandments of the One Church. Stepping into the chapel of the Halls of Records, the monk of the Purificatio silently stepped forward to the altar, his woolen robe rustling and genuflecting once, he made the sign of the One over his forehead, lips and chest and started to finish the morning ritual of Lauds: The Intercession, The Dominicum Canticle and the Dismissal.

"Let our response be:" Tyrone began, opening his small, tattered Horologion and falteringly read the Intercession for the Lyrday. "Lord God Dominicus, give us light to see by."

It was painful, Brother Anistis and Sister Caranosa could hear and see Tyrone struggling through small book but they could see the devout and sincere actions that he was doing. There were mispronounced words and words that took him a few flickers to read but he continued without any hint of shame, too intent and focused was he on his prayers.

"Blessed be God, who protects his children and does not spurn their prayers. Let us all humbly pray to him:" Tyrone then paused letting Brother Anistis and Sister Caranosa respond to the intercession. "Lord, give us light to see by."

"Lord, send your wisdom to lead us through the day and let us walk in the purity of a new life. Let us all humbly pray to him: Lord, give us light to see by."

"Give us the strength to endure adversity for your sake; with courage let us serve you unceasingly. Let us all humbly pray to him: Lord, give us light to see by."

"Guide our thoughts, our feelings and our actions today, so that we may serve you and follow you. Let us all humbly pray to him: Lord, give us light to see by."

He then bowed his head, "Let us bow our heads for our own personal intercession." Tyrone continued out loud, his voice echoing through the small chapel and silently he prayed, Lord Dominicus, show me the path and guide me.

For more than a flicker of moment, the monk was silent and with a rustle of his cloak, he then knelt before the altar to recite the Dominicum Canticle from his memory:

"May the One God who made us bless us,
May the Lord God Dominicus send his healing among us,
May the Holy One Dove move within us,
Give us eyes to see with,
Ears to hear with,
Hands that your work might be done with,
May we walk and preach the word of God to all,
May the Holy Ghost of Dominicus watch over us,
And lead us at last to God's grace to the Kingdom.
Amen."

Gracefully standing up once more, he recited the last prayer: the Dismissal:

"We pray to you, Lord, the true Light and the creator of light.
May we keep our minds on what is holy
and live always in the brightness of your presence.
May the Lord bless us and keep us from all harm;
and may he lead us to eternal life.
Amen."

With that, he genuflected before the altar and made the holy sign of the One over his forehead, mouth and chest as an overwhelming peace washed over him, knowing that he had done his duty and finished the Morning Ritual of Lauds, comforted that the One God reign supreme upon His Holy throne.

The Jackal then turned and silently walked towards the entrance of the chapel and waited patiently for Bother Anistis and Sister Caranosa to finish their devotions, his mind now turning to the task at hand, his head turning to look at the direction of the Vault of Records.
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis noticed that Tyrone had difficulty in reading his prayers, but that was of no consequence, and it didn't bother the young acolyte at all. These were prayers to the One God, not a public speaking exercise. Dominicus would hear the sincerity that came from the hearts of His postulants and accept the prayers on that merrit, rather than judging them by the superficial standards of men. Besides, while he was learning quickly, Anistis wasn't exactly a scholar when it came to letters, himself.

Anistis fervently prayed the response for each intersession, and when it came time for personal prayers, he felt it most appropriate to pray for those in the room with him. His lips moved silently as he prayed:

God of Love, I have not been granted full knowledge of what troubles Brother Tyrone and Sister Caranosa, but what has been revealed to me has been significant. If You have indeed laid such heavy responsibility upon Brother Tyrone, grant him the strength to bear it. If I, Your humble servant, can be of any assistance to these You have put in my path, I accept Your charge with joy.

After the Dismissal was complete, Anistis rose, genuflected, and made the Sign before joining Tyrone at the back of the chapel.

"Thank you for leading Devotions this morningtide, Brother Tyrone," the acolyte said with a warm smile and a slight bow. "Again, I'm sorry to have gotten in your way. Is there anything I might help you with before I let you and Sister Caranosa get back to what you were doing before I intruded?"
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

"You are welcome, Brother Anistis." The monk of the Purificatio replied in hushed tone, not wanting to disturb Sister Caranosa if she was still praying. "No, do not apologize, Brother. It might have been Dominicus' will that you came upon us in order for me to finish the morning devotion. It is I who must apologize, I do not usually lead the devotion so I'm not well versed with the hymns and prayers and my reading the antiphons and the intercessions were not..." He faltered and frowned. "My studies lies elsewhere, Brother." The dark achadhiel explained with a grave look.

"Perhaps, you can aid me, Brother." The Jackal continued after a hesitant pause, his eyes turning to Sister Caranosa and then to the direction of the Vault of Records. "There are some manuscripts Sister Caranosa mentioned that I should read, but..." He paused and focused his fanatic eyes back to the brown-haired acolyte. "As you have heard earlier, I'm not well versed with my letters and I need someone who can read for me. Sister Caranosa would be a good choice, but I'm not sure if she can aid me once I'm inside the Vault of Records. She may have other responsibilties and duties that may need her attention. The fact of the matter is," the young monk confessed with a lame smile, "I'm not even sure if we'll be allowed inside the Vault and I pray that the learned Sister may give us that little help..." This was going on the verge of disobedience to the law of the Church and the young monk felt that he was sinning against Dominicus by doing such action but Tyrone felt he had no other choice, he needed to peruse those manuscripts and learn more.

"I will understand if you decline, Brother Anistis."
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

"Of course I'll help," Anistis replied without hesitation, slighly embarassed. He'd begun in a conversational tone, then remembered where he was and now muted himself. "I should warn you, though, that I have only a very simple knowledge of the written word. I'll do the best I can, but I can't promise it'll be perfect. I may not be the best there is for the job, and if you ask, you might be able to find someone more learned, but I'm more than willing to help."

The young man regarded Tyrone with a smile and a friendly gaze. It was surprising to him; he hadn't known what to expect from Tyrone, but from what little he had heard about the Purificatio, sheepishness and self-consciousness would not at all have been a part of those expectations. Anistis had mentioned his own lack of skill with reading and writing as much to allay Tyrone's apparent embarassment as to be honest and informative.

"As for the Vault," Anistis continued, "I don't really know much about what's required to get in, but I imagine Sister Caranosa does. Or, if you're going to see the Bishop, I'm sure that he could grant you access."
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

"I am not sure if I should ask another person." Tyrone replied with a slight hesitant frown. "This is..." He paused and regarded Anistis with his piercing, fanatic eyes. "...a very delicate situation."

He wasn't sure if he could trust the novice, not when the apostate poet warned him of Oniest Cultist, but Anistis seemed pious and devout enough and he seemed eager to help. There might even be danger involved and the Jackal was capable enough of handling it but he couldn't let anyone take the risk. He wasn't even sure if he should involve Sister Caranosa either, she was a woman and a devout Sister of the One, he couldn't let anything happen to her.

"There may be danger involved, Brother Anistis." Tyrone confessed, his eyes penetrating, his voice, despite being melodious, was harsh and sibilant as he assumed the role of the Jackal of the Purificatio. "I know not how or when it will come, but I do not want risking anyone's life for this task that was laid down upon me by the Abbot of my order." Giving the novice a slight nod, he led him outside the door of the chapel, prepared to fully disclose everything to Anistis.

"The Church is in danger." Tha Jackal began, his eyes distant and full of fanatic zeal. "I have been warned that there is a cult rising in the very midst of our Church and as an Acolyte Priest of the Purificatio, I must seek out this Cult and stop it so that Tazlure may be purged once more by the light and fire of Holy Dominicus. I have sent word of such happening to the Abbots of my Order but they have been silent too long. It is perhaps that the Bishop Lazos know of such occurence and he would disclose it upon me later today at the meeting."

The Jackal then focused his penetrating eyes back to the novice priest. "Despite the danger it may hold, brother, are you still willing to help me, thus furthering the cause of the Holy Church?"
Last edited by Tyrone on Mon May 19, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis' mouth hung agape and his eyes went wide. The idea of a subversive force present in the Church was frightening, especially in such already-chaoitic times. And who knew what sort of twisted perversion this cult may be?

In his formative years, Anistis had felt the persistent call of Dominicus to devote his life to the One. It hadn't been sudden, but he would feel the call at first whenever he would pray or think about his future, and then at any time that he would pray, attend worship, or even discuss the faith. When he'd finally discerned that it was the will of the One that he serve Him, Anistis had not hesitated; he'd answered the call.

When he did that, he had been ready to do anything that Dominicus would call him to do in His service, and had even occassionally dreamed of heroics in His name. Those had just been daydreams, however, and he must not have been truly prepared for the real possibility of a risk to his life. The idea filled him with dread.

With a shuddering breath, the young acolyte closed his eyes and bowed his head, silently praying: Dominicus, if You have directed me here this day for this purpose, grant me the strength and the courage to do Your will- come what may.

He looked back up, meeting Tyrone's gaze. His eyes shone with conviction. "I am willing," he said in response to the dark achadhiel's question, "and I ask the One to help me."

He hesitated slightly before asking, "What should I know, then, of this cult?"
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

"Your conviction becomes you, brother Anistis. Let us pray that God, in His wisdom, grant us the help to seek out this abomination that festers within our Holy Church." Tyrone answered, glad that he had someone who could help him. "Perhaps, it may be even God's hand that you were directed to me to aid me in such undertaking. Dominicus knows that I shall be needing all the help I can get in order to bring out and put to stop this Cult."

"I must confess, brother," the dark achadhiel continued worriedly, "that I am in the dark as well about this Cult. I have only been warned yesterday and Sister Caranosa was able to shed but a little light about it." He was still uncertain if he should tell the novice about the connection of the Spirit of the Jackal with himself, perhaps, he should just keep it for the meantime, no need for him to know yet. "Yesterday, an apostate of the One named Jaxomen warned me of the festering Cult. He warned me that this cult may seem to be part of the Church, but they are not, they are trying to raise something ancient. He also warned me to seek the Keeper of the Codex."

"I do not know if I should trust this apostate, but Sister Caranosa..." The monk frowned and gave a quick glance at the woman still inside the chapel. "...informed me that there was a certain Apostate Archbishop who lived two hundred yahrens ago who was possessed by the Holy Ghost of Dominicus. His name was Jaxomen. I do not know if the man I met yesterday is the same archbishop, but Sister Caranosa seemed well informed and well learned. I must know more about this document the devout Sister had read and it may be best that she will not be a part of this for her safety."

"And there is the matter of this Codex..." The Jackal said. "I do not know where to look and it will need someone who is an academic or someone who has a passing knowledge of letters to know more about it. I must confess, this is something beyond me. I am sure that the Palace Scriptorium shall know more but even if I go there, I wouldn't be able to read it. I can look for more information elsewhere, perhaps, in the Bardic College, I may know someone from there." And there's this meeting with the Bishop Lazos that he must attend to.
Last edited by Tyrone on Tue May 20, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]

Return to “KC Archive”