[Chyril 26th ET] Merchant, Mistress, and Knight

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Yin Lorin
Retired staff

[Chyril 26th ET] Merchant, Mistress, and Knight

Post by Yin Lorin »

His house was on the top floor of an apartment building in the quarter of the city given to the Greycloaks. They were devoted, very devoted, to the worship of the principles of the One. More and more Yin started to wonder if they worshiped the law more than the God. The words of the One were important this is true, and his law is important to uphold, but their god was living and this means the law could change.

He did not worry about this tonight though as he arrived at the steps of his house. He had guests and he was running late. Blood was still on his armor and face as he bounded up the stairs in his half plate. He hoped Dangy had kept them for him, his business was important, and it was bad manners to miss an appointment. He also hoped Dangy had made something nice for dinner, he did not know how his finances were, but hoped there was enough to feed the guests well.

He stopped to get the door for Constance if she joined him.
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

(OOC: sorry for the delay - some confusion over who was taking the thread)

Constance accompanied the paladin to his house, leaning on his arm. The mage was quiet, perhaps reflecting on the events of the day. She quickly vanished into her room to change for dinner. As Yin reached the top of the stairs he almost bowled over a shocked Dagny who was just closing the door to the dining room. “Your guests have just arrived,” she hissed quietly. “I have provided them with drinks and apologised for your lateness. You must change first. You can’t possibly see such people in that state. And I must see to preparing the meal.” The maid gave the Paladin a disapproving look, as if she was a mother scolding a careless child.

When Yin entered his dining room, he would find three persons already present. The familiar face of the elderly Father Benthitus; the elegantly dressed Hugo Montomorency, and a third person whom the Paladin did not recognise – a well-dressed woman with a veil covering her face. All three turned towards Yin as he entered the room.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin nodded to Dangy, she was right to scold him for his appearance. “Of course, thank you.” He told her and headed to his room. He peeled the armor off as quick as he could. He would have to clean it before sleeping, but for now, he would have to leave it on the floor in a heap. He dressed in his nice clothes, from the citadel. He smoothed out the jacket and brushed his hair quickly.

When he stepped into the room with the others he smiled. “I hope the drinks are ok.” He went and poured himself some water. “Dinner will be served shortly.” He approached the veiled woman and bowed formally, as formally as he could. “I am Sir Lorin, and I am sorry for the events that have brought us together. May I please have your name, my Lady?” He asked her in his best formal voice.

Guido Cercatoro

Montmorency and the priest both greeted Yin with slightly anxious smiles but said nothing as the Paladin approached the veiled woman.

“My name is Madeliene,” said the woman, drawing back her veil to reveal a beautiful and finely featured face. She appeared to be no more than twenty yahren and was undoubtedly an adhiel.

Constance entered the room. She was dressed in a long, flowing turquoise gown that rustled softly as she moved. Around her neck was a delicate silver necklace that glistened as it caught the light. She smiled at the paladin and his guest but then gasped when she saw the adhiel.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin bowed to them all in greeting and smiled at Madeliene. “It is a pretty name, my Lady.” He wanted to say something witty and smooth, but those were descriptions that could not be applied to young Yin. He opted instead to look to the table. “Shall we sit?” He offered.

When Constance entered he could not help but stare for a moment. It was worth the wait to see her dressed so nicely, and now he felt very odd, she was so lovely, how could she be in love with him.

The gasp broke the spell however. Why was she shocked? It was not because she was Adhiel, N’Kallor was adhiel and she did not seem surprised with him. They had to be another reason. He thought it over for a moment, she might know her, or have worked for her. He did not realize that as he pondered this he was looking between the two. “You know her?” He asked Constance.

Guido Cercatoro

The adhiel’s eyes widened and she started up from her seat. “Connie,” she said in apparent wonder. Within a few flickers, the two women were hugging in the centre of the room. Father Benthitus and Hugo Montmorencey looked on in astonishment.

“Madeliene is an old friend of mine and my brother from a long time ago,” explained the mage, releasing her hold on the other woman. “I had no idea she was in the city.”

“I had no notion that you were here either,” replied the adhiel. “And neither, I suspect has your brother.”

For the second time, the young mage’s face dropped in astonishment. “He is here?”

“Yes, although I have not seen him for a few days. I think he has had some business to attend to for someone in the court. He is very secretive.”

Constance turned to the Paladin. “We must seek him out when we return from Murrelbuck. If we find him, I am no longer beholden to the Regent.” She spoke in a rush. Montmorencey frowned as she mentioned the Regent and the elderly priest continued to look bemused at the whole affair.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin let the women have their moment. He stepped over to Montmorancey. “The issue of the debt?” He lowered his voice. “Could you tell me how much it is?” He needed to know what they were working with, how deep he was in.

A thought occurred to him, if these women were friends, how much older did that make Lady Constance then him. He quickly pushed it back to be thought about later. He had other things more important to deal with now, when he was not so pressed with those he could focus more on him and her. Now he had to worry about the Kingdom.

The issue of her brother also had to be addressed. He did not know how that would change things though. The Regent was the Regent, unless there was some civil uprising he would stay the Regent. If there was some civil discord, who knows what could happen, it would only eat away the stability the Kingdom was trying to create. Everything was broken, and Yin felt as if he was trying to catch sand in his hands. So much was slipping through his fingers. “Of course, we will find your brother. We may wish to seek out some more leads though on where he may be.”

He looked at Madeliene. “You should share your good news with Lady Constance.” He nudged her to see if she was truly with child, she would share it with a good friend.

Guido Cercatoro

The businessman sighed. “The Bishop owes me some eighty crowns. Yet I fear that this only scratches the surface. I have heard that he owes even more to the Golden Hand Gambling Hall and that Whitlow had been engaged to collect the debt. If it should become common knowledge….” The moustached man shook his head, clearly distressed at the revelations he was making.

The poor elderly Father Benthitus looked as if he was about to collapse as he listened to Montmorencey. The revelation about the Bishop had hit him badly, yet a thought suddenly occurred to him. He turned to Yin. “Paladin, do you know what has become of the Bishop? He is not in his room or anywhere in the Bassilica and yet no-one has seen him leave.” The priest’s revelations would have been surprising for the Paladin as he had left the Bishop dead in his room…

Constance flashed a grateful smile towards Yin as he mentioned searching for her brother but her face took on a look of astonishment as Madeliene made her revelation.

“I am with child,” the adhiel confirmed. “Bishop Delos is the father. I am not proud of this.” The woman’s calm countenance wavered and she plunged into tears. Constance put her arms around the woman, the mage’s own eyes filling with tears.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

What the priest said did shock Yin. Perhaps this is why he has not been arrested for the killing. The One was keeping him safe, he was protected, in a manner of speaking, so long as he remained faithful. “I was the last to speak to him, before the One saw it necessary to take him back.” He looked at the Priest and grew very serious. “He confessed his sins to me, and the One told us of his punishment. A man may love, and a man may sin, a man may even steal, and forgiveness is forthcoming, but the office of Priest, and Bishop, you are more than a man. If the One took him from this earth, body and soul, then that is the power of the One.” He looked at the others. “I am sorry, I am sure you loved him very much, Miss Madeliene, I am sure many did.” He said trying to consol her.

Hundreds of crowns, oh my, he had not even seen over 80 crowns before. “I will find a way to settle his debts, and I will take care of the gambling houses and Master Witlow.” He was sure he could find a way to reason with them, perhaps Baros could give him some insight into their ways.

He stepped closer to the crying women, it pained him to see the women crying, like a knot tightening in his gut. “You should not cry, a child is a blessing, not something to weep over.” He told them. “If you need help, I will do what I can.” He looked at Constance to see if he was going in the right direction. “My mother had several children, I am sure she could offer some advice and help you while you have yours. I know she would be more than happy to, she loves children, and grand children, well, babies in general.” He told her thinking fondly to his time at home. He needed to get his family back out on their farm. It was safer out in the downs now, and the field would need to be made ready. He would send them a note asking if they wanted to go back. “What do you think?” He asked, getting his mind back on track.

Guido Cercatoro

The elderly priest continued to look troubled as Yin told of his meeting with the Bishop and hinted at his possible fate. Finally, with a sigh, Benthitus nodded grimly. “We must all trust in the One. Whatever the Bishop’s behaviour, he will be judged by the One god and punished accordingly.”

When Yin talked of the Bishop’s debt, he found Montmorencey amenable to compromise. “I would be willing to arrange a schedule of payment for the debt I am owed and I will, of course, remain quiet on the subject. As for Whitlow and the gambling debt, I am afraid I cannot help. However, you can be sure that he will bargain hard, for that it his job.”

Madeliene had recovered somewhat, although her eyes looked a little puffy and red. “The Bishop was a troubled man,” she said quietly. “Something had happened to question in his faith and he took solace in gambling, drink and my company. He had his faults but he was never anything other than kind to me. Yet, now I am left with little money and with child.”

At Yin’s suggestion that the adhiel might seek out his mother, Constance flashed him a grateful smile. “That is a kind and noble gesture Paladin.”

The adhiel also smiled gratefully. “Thank you, sir, that would be most kind.”

“I would be happy to help in this,” interceded Father Benthitus, looking grateful at having something positive to do. “The church has a welfare fund that is used to help those in distress in the city. I am sure that a small payment could be made to assist in this matter.”
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The boy nodded to the ladies. “It is no trouble, my mother loves children, and mothers. She will be more than willing to help.” He gave them both a big smile in his own awkward way. “Why don’t you both find a place at the table, and Father, could you help them.”

He turned to mister Montmorancy. “Whitlow is a matter I wish to discuss with you. You say he is a man who runs gambling dens. Do you think he is involved with some illegal activity.” He asked in a lowered voice. “And there is a white powder that is being sold in the city, do you know anything about this powder?”

Guido Cercatoro

At Yin’s invitation, the entire party sat at the table and Dagny soon arrived with food and drink. The servant had excelled herself for it looked most appetising fare. Constance, Benthitus and the adhiel fell into quiet conversation leaving Yin and Montmorencey free to talk to each other.

“Whitlow does not directly run any gambling dens,” explained Hugo carefully. “He buys up the debts of those in trouble and then collects. That is what happened with the Bishop. The owners of the gambling den sold the debt to Whitlow who now seeks to collect. There is nothing illegal in his attempt to collect the debt. However, he has a reputation for using forceful methods to collect.”

“As for the powder,” replied the businessman, quietly, “I believe you may be talking of a new drug, Darkeyes. It is said to be a powerful hallucinogenic. It is expensive and there are rumours that some of the noble classes take the drug. It is said to give visions. Beyond that I know little. Of course, Whitlow may have information if he has lent money to anyone who is addicted to the drug.”
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin thought a moment. “It may not be illegal to collect a debt, but using force, that is where the law will step in.” He comments softly to Montmorcncey. “I take it Witlow has come to you to buy your debtors off?” He asked. He had to admire the man for being a fair man, he dealt strait, and Yin could respect that.

After the man explained his own reasons for not taking Witlow up on his offers Yin went to the table to sit. “Miss Madeliene, and Constance how long have you known each other?” He asked, trying to spur the conversation in a more civil manner.

Guido Cercatoro

Montmorencey sighed, puffing out his chest. “Whitlow has asked about the Bishop’s debts with my business but I have not sold them to the man, you may be reassured of that. I do not want my business to be associated with such a fellow. And, as I have said before, I was aware of the delicacy of the situation for the church. If you wish to see him he has a room adjacent to the Golden Hand Gambling Hall.”

Constance and Madeleine were deep in conversation but the young mage smiled at Yin’s question. “We have known each other since we were children,” she explained. “Our fathers had some bond between them that they never spoke off and I think they hoped to see my brother and Madeleine wed. But others did not look so kindly on such a union. My brother was distraught and left the family home to seek adventure…” She glanced towards her friend but Madeleine merely shrugged.

“It is all so long ago,” she said quietly. “Your brother is a changed man, almost like a stranger to me at times.”
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Yin perked up. “So you have seen her brother recently?” He asked looking to Constance. This could prove most useful. If she was to be free of the Regent she would need this sort of information. He did not say anymore as this was Constance’s matter to attend to.

He did note the information Montmorancy gave him, and he would have to plan a trip to meet with Witlow soon enough.

The food was more than he had anticipated, Dangy must be a miracle worker. Food would get scare as the year went on, and he guessed prices would go up. He looked at the food and then to Montmorancy. “Who is funding the farms outside the city?” He asked, an idea brewing in his mind. “What do you think to a venture of investing in some farms?”

Guido Cercatoro

Constance and Madeliene fell into quiet conversation once again, the subject of Constance’s brother being the main subject of conversation.

Montmorencey stroked his moustache as he considered Yin’s question. “The farms in the Downs vary from small family concerns to larger enterprises. Some own their own land, others are beholden to their Lords. The best man to see concerning these matters might be Jakob Tenant. He is a wealthy farmer who owns lands near to the city. He has a town house within the city and regularly visits.”

“As for any investment, I would certainly be interested,” continued the businessman. “There have been shortages of some products in recent months and there may be an opportunities for businessmen to invest. Perhaps I might make an appointment for us to meet with Jakob?”
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: archived until player returns)

Return to “KC Archive”