Fresh off the Boat - Harbor Office (Chyril 27th early MT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Fresh off the Boat - Harbor Office (Chyril 27th early MT)

Post by Guest »

The Harbour Masters building in Kings Court was prominently labeled. A big sign on the front of the building read "HARBOUR OFFICE". Right beneath the sign was another sign, with a ship and a quilt drawn on it. It was clear for everyone where the registration office was located. That is were all ships were officially registered, duties and taxes are paid, lists of available sailors were displayed, the shipping schedules, etc.

Inside, the Harbour Master's Office was a bustle of activity. On the left clerks were busy writing down numbers in long tables and on the right shippers were checking the lists of unemployed sailors to find new crew members. Many paintings of ships and sea sights decorated the walls. Numerous strange looking artefacts were displayed on shelves. A murmur of many low talking voices could be heard and office clerks were walking back and forth with important looking papers. The air was thick with the smell of many unwashed bodies from sailors, who had been travelling a long time. Right next to the door stood a big desk, with a little sign on it. "INFORMATION" it read.

All newcomers who arrive by ship are required to report to a second desk adjacent to the first, behind which can be seen a sergeant dressed in the uniform of the Vanguard. All newcomers receive the same greeting. "Please state your name, business in the city and religion."

Conspicuous in a line of low-class passengers was a brightly dressed Mouthie with the air of a wealthy merchant. One would never guess that this man had just spent his last banner, but his purse was as empty as his stomach. As he came to the desk, Gaspare Capuzzo greeted the Vanguard with surprising enthusiasm.

"Ah! Buongiorno signor agente. Che bella giornata! My name is Ga-spa-ray Ca-poo-tso," he enunciated. "I am a devoted disciple of Dominicus and my business here is business."

When it is a question of money, everyone is of the same religion, after all.

"My father has sent me to open trade on his behalf in the fine city of King's Court and today I arrive. My servants shall be along in a few days with a sampling of my wares. In the meantime I wish to get a feel for the local trade. Perhaps you could help me find something to which I might employ my hand?"

My father. . . I wonder if my family is all right. I hope they escaped the Purificatio. . . But now I have more pressing business. I'm starving and I've no place to sleep tonight. By the Golden Goddess, I hope I find some banners soon.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The sergeant behind the desk was a middle-aged, swarthy, dark-haired man. He carefully scribed Gaspare's details in a large, leather-bound ledger that sat on the desk. Then, he put down his writing implement, sat back in his chair and smiled.

“So you belong to a trading family sufficiently rich to employ servants and yet you seek employment. A bit of a parodox don’t you think? Now what exactly is this business you talk of? For all I know, your business may be smuggling and your wares stolen. Perhaps you could convince me that this is not the case. And if your business is legitimate, I may be able to direct you to employment opportunities.”

On the wall close to the desk was a display case in which could be seen a pair of daggers, with what appeared to be jewelled-encrusted hilts. They were obviously of some value, for they were the only artefacts protected by such a case.

Post by Guest »

In Gaspare's life, wealth had always garnered respect. His only hope now, he thought, was to convince this man that he had enough money to buy such respect. Then, no one would question his credentials again.

But the sergeant had called his bluff.

How can I prove my business is legitimate if I have no business to speak of? I have to think of something fast. These men enjoy catching you in a lie. Well, that's an idea. Maybe I'll just tell him what he wants to hear.

The young Mouthie lifted his head, squared his shoulders, and looked the sergeant directly in the eye.

Time for a performance.

"Very well, signore. I see now you are a man of substance. You force me to see a truth I could not bear to admit even to myself. My father has sent me to this land, yes, but not for the reason I have given."

On speaking of his father, Gaspare let genuine emotion rise to the surface.

"I fear for his life," he whispered. "My father has spoken out against the independence of World's Mouth. He believes that our leaders have broken a great trust. Now he fears he will soon be arrested for his sentiments, so he has sent me here to protect me from being rounded up on false charges with him. All because the Merchant's Council has usurped the authority of King's Court, I have been forced from my home in fear. The fate of my family is unknown to me. Furthermore. . ."

Above all, Gaspare had a trader's eye, which had just noticed a pair of expensive-looking daggers in a case close to the desk. Very nice, he thought to himself. Those must be worth at least. . . Wait! Now is not the time to get distracted.

After a moment to collect his thoughts he continued, "Furthermore this, mio amico, is the solution to your paradox. My family is certainly rich enough to employ many servants, yet I must now make my own way in this world to continue my father's legacy. He has put his faith in my survival and I do not intend to let him down."

The best lie is as close to the truth as possible.
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: a nice story!)

The guard looked thoughtful as Gaspare outlined his story. “Well, it certainly has a greater ring of truth to it than your first tale. I am aware of the trouble in the Mouth, so I am inclined to believe you. Either that or you are a good actor, in which case I will also allow you in as the existing entertainers in this city are so awful that they could do with some competition.”

“Yet, you still haven’t told me your father’s trade. What sort of job are you looking for?”

As Gaspare was speaking to the guard, a second new arrival entered the harbour office and stood behind the would-be merchant. If the Mouthie turned, he would see a well dressed, dark-haired young woman with a pretty face. She was clutching a letter in her hand and had a strained look on her face.

Post by Guest »

An impish grin crept its way back onto Gaspare's lips.

"I'll have you know I am a very good actor," he quipped. "Perhaps I should go into politics."

After a short laugh, the young man continued, "In all seriousness, however, I was not acting. My father is. . . well, though it pains me I suppose I must say my father was an honest trader in the Desert Jewel Square. He bought anything he thought he could sell and sold anything he could fit on his shelves. I have followed in his footsteps and would, perhaps, open my own store. Yet I lack the requisite capital for shop and merchandise."

Sensing someone behind him, Gaspare glanced over his shoulder. The sight of an attractive young woman began to tug his thoughts away from the matter at hand, and the fact that this woman was well dressed and in some distress threatened to push the sergeant out of his mind completely. Having her in his debt would not only be exceedingly pleasant, but could prove profitable.

"Are you quite all right, signorina? Come, I will not stand in your way."

Turning back to the guard, he asked, "Might we cut our chat short, signore? This young lady seems to have some urgent matter to bring to your attention. I will stay right here. I may be of some assistance."
Guido Cercatoro

“Well there are many traders who hawk their wares in the Avenue of Trade,” ventured the guard. “Some trade from shops and other from street stalls. Perhaps if you ask around there you may find someone willing to take you on. Alternatively, some of the traders drink or eat in the Laughing King at even’tide, so you might catch some news there. In any event, you may now pass into the city.”

"Are you quite all right, signorina? Come, I will not stand in your way."

The young woman responded to Gaspare’s comment with a weak smile before lowering her eyes to the ground and moving forwards to the desk.

“Now, young lady, if you will tell me your name and business here, perhaps I can be of assistance.” The guard spoke in a kindly manner fixing his eyes on the new arrival.

“My name is Lucia Derezzo,” the girl replied in a quiet broken voice. “My father has recently died and I have come here to seek out a friend of my father. Perhaps you know him. His name is Baron Terripin.” Tears streamed down the girl’s face as she talked of her father.

“Your father was a friend of the old baron,” stated the guard with a look of surprise. “Well as far as I know the Baron is in residence. He has a house in the noble quarter of town. A very influential man is the Baron. I’m sure he’ll see you right. Would you like me to get you a carriage?”

“No, I will walk,” said Lucia. “I used the last of my money to get here.” The tears became a flood and she covered her face with her hands.

Post by Guest »

Lucia Derezzo wrote:My father has recently died and I have come here to seek out a friend of my father.

Hmm, there seems to be a lot of that sort of thing going around. But what's this? A baron? Very influential, he says? I like the sound of that.

Lucia Derezzo wrote:No, I will walk. I used the last of my money to get here.

Imagine the odds!

"I cannot allow you to walk alone in an unfamiliar city, signorina," Gaspare interjected. "Especially in such a state. My name is Gaspare Capuzzo, and I have only just arrived from World's Mouth myself. I must confess that your story has ignited a deep feeling of kinship in my heart, for I too have used the last of my money to come to this place."

"My father, you see, has been arrested on what are certainly false charges because those in power disagree with his politics. Warned by a loyal friend that guards were on their way and afraid for my safety, he bade me leave the city at once. This I have done. I am here, yet must find my own way."

"Now as I said, my conscience will not allow you to wander these streets alone. If this kind and generous guard will but furnish me with directions I will take you to your father's friend myself."

And to a hot meal at the very least, I hope. If things work out, I may find myself with a wealthy benefactor and the continued companionship of this lovely young lady. May the Golden Goddess grant me her favor!
Guido Cercatoro

The girl appeared unsure at first as to whether or not to accept the stranger’s offer. However, after a few flickers thought she slowly nodded her head, presumably judging that some assistance was preferable to wandering the streets alone.

“That would be very kind, signor Capuzzo” she acknowledged. “I only have this bag here to carry but it is rather heavy” She pointed towards a large, cloth bag that she had deposited by the door when entering.
The guard readily provided directions to the Baron’s home which was located in the noble’s quarter of the city. To reach the house it was necessary to travel down the main thoroughfare.

The nexus, the hub; the focal point of trade in the Western Kingdom focused here. Faces from all over the world intermingled in this place. Lives, hopes, dreams; it all flowed as fluidly as the bustling throng of bodies could carry them. Here the people flowed like water, filling every crevice, boiling over every stand. Each looking for something in the hopes that it might be found.

Space along the Avenue in Kings Court was expensive, for it was that road, that single hundred-yard stretch of earthen pack that has made this quarter so famous. Competition between dealers tended to be brutal, if not deadly. Street thugs hide in every crack, and pickpockets from the Poor Quarter wait for the right opportunity. The unguarded never last long in this place. But it was the way of business in the kingdom, as it always had been here.

The ground was sodden hard beneath the tireless trample of thousands of feet. No face was too unusual for this place, especially for the merchants who have seen it all. These men are masters of diplomacy. Storefronts several homes in size lean over the broad color-speckled river of bustling throng within it. One must shout if they wish to be heard; but being heard will mean the attention of thousands.

Long slender banners of gold, crimson, silver and white twirled over the heads of the people within, each longer than the one before it. The Merchants changed them daily; always planning one that will better catch the eye of a passerby. The storefronts are pointed like triangles towards the center of the street. When viewed from above, it seems as if huge jaws of teeth are closing in over the flow of people traveling within.

It was a bright, cool and breezy day. Although it was still early, the street was already full of life; most shops were open and local traders were busy trying to sell their wares on every street corner. The majority of potential customers making their way down the busy street were human but a fair sprinkling of members of other races were also going about their business. A little way down the street was a small stall behind which stood a rather jolly-looking but red-faced human. The stall contained a large number of rather rudimentary wooden carvings. Most were of animals, some recognisable, but others had no discernible resemblence to any common animal. Lucia stopped and glanced over the animals, picking up one that bore a vague resemblance to a dog and turning it over in her hands.
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: archived whilst Gaspare is absent)

Return to “KC Archive”