A New Day (Basilica Dominici, Chyril 27th, MT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Anistis
The Tender

A New Day (Basilica Dominici, Chyril 27th, MT)

Post by Anistis »

Set on its own pathway within the boulevard of temples in King's Court, stands the Basilica Dominici- the Temple of The One. Alabaster walls stand as testaments to the purity of the One True Faith. Surrounded on all sides by a tall and impressive wall, the church manages to avoid looking like a fortress- tall and elegant sculptures standing along the edges- pictures of saints and angels taken from Dominicus's dogma. An experienced clergyman might recognize the Chronicler Oren or the Cardinal Kern; Drakedoder and Berkeley. The present rain runs along the sculptures, giving them an appearance of sadness and woe, as if the saints themselves weep for the King's Court at present.
In the center of the wall there is a massive gate- ornately crafted in silver metal that is blessed to never rust, until the faith of all men within should fail. The ornate entrance is always held open- just as the arms of Dominicus himself are always open to new followers. Just within the gates is a splendid garden, lush in its greenery and vibrant in its flowers- tended by some of the most religiously devout monks to walk the face of Tazlure. Perhaps it is this devotion that allows this garden to remain pure and luminous despite the rain and cold- where all other gardens might fail. The main path leads directly forward, hedged in by the shrubs of the garden itself at waist height, leading directly toward the main chapel, the tallest building in the entire complex- smaller walkways branching off, to the less-important structures.
It is the main chapel that is most impressive, however, remarkable in its height and elegance- essentially a circular building, bound on all sides by columns and arches. There are other sculptures set in the alcoves and upon the roof, here, a tall spire stretching upward from the entire mass- spiraling into the heavens- capped in a gilded depiction of an eye, the simple of The One. In all times, the chapel is doubtless inviting- but especially so in the current rain, seeming to beckon any approaching travellers forth, into the soothing warmth it provides- the entry chamber visible behind tall doors, partially open- a fire burning within, with deep and comfortable-looking couches set just within the oversized portals. All were welcome to enter freely, especially converts.

On a bed in a small, drab cell within the Basilica Dominici complex, a young man lay in a peaceful sleep. As the first rays of sunlight peeked over the horizon and made their way through the tiny window in the cell, the man's eyes slowly opened. They were a bright green that shone in the morning sunlight, set in a youthful, almost boyish face.

Anistis, acolyte of the One Church, sat up in his bed with a yawn and began what had become a routine series of twists and stretches to work the knots out of his back- the stiff matress's nightly gift to him. When his muscles no longer felt as if made of iron, he retrieved his copy of The Book of the One and, opened to The Book Apostolic, which had been among his first readings as a boy and remained his favorite of the Books.

"The One smiles upon charity," he read to himself, "for in giving what is yours to those who need it, you share the world more equally with all of His Children- who are all equal in their deserving of the wonders of His creation." Anistis felt that this was a good proverb to hold in mind at all times, and thus began every day by reminding himself of it.

After a little more reading from the Scriptures, Anistis knelt before the symbol of the Eye that hung above his bed and said the Benedictus. He had been praying the last line of this traditional prayer, "guide our feet in the way of peace," with an increased fervency in the past year, and while political turmoil (most of which Anistis didn't quite understand) still held the Kingdom in its grip, the war, thank the One, was over, and the young supplicant added to the end of his prayer that Dominicus would continue to heal the wounds created by war, and that tranquility and compassion would soon be the order of the day in Kings Court, the Western Kingdom, and throughout the world- and as he did so, Anistis had faith that it would be.

His personal devotions done with, the young acolyte rose with a contented sigh and a smile at the light of the new day streaming through his window. He sung a particularly catchy hymn to himself as he vested, smoothed his light brown hair with his hands in a vain attempt to make it lay flat, and opened the door to his cell, seeking his superiors for any tasks they may have had for him, eager to begin another day.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The young acolyte’s room was located at the far end of a long corridor containing some twenty similar cells wherein resided many of the younger trainee priests. The corridor was plain and featureless, designed to be functional, in stark contrast to the ornate decoration of the main part of the Bassilica.

As Anistis reached the end of the corridor, which led into a wider corridor running at right angles to the dormitory corridor, an elderly priest bustled past before stopping and turning back towards the acolyte. This was Father Tamerus, the priest charged with overseeing the training of new priests within the Bassilica.

“Aah acolyte,” he mumbled in his familiar deep and rather booming voice. Unusually, he appeared somewhat agitated. “Perhaps you might help me. An urgent meeting has been called of the elder priests and I must attend so I will not be able to give instruction this morningtide. Perhaps you could go along to the instruction room and notify the other students.”

The instruction room was located in a small outbuilding that was located in a far corner of the Bassilica gardens. If Anistsis ventured there, he would find one of his fellow trainee priests already waiting outside the door. This acolyte was a small, wiry boy from the Downs, named Benjamin.

“Good morningtide,” he said in greeting, with a flushed and excited look on his face.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

“Certainly, Father,” was Anistis’ unquestioning response to the priest’s request. He was immediately very curious about the subject of this meeting and hoped that it didn’t signify the coming of some manner of misfortune, but even if it had been the acolyte’s place to ask, he wouldn’t have, so as not to keep Father Tamerus from his clearly important business. “The One be with you.” With that, he bowed in reverence to Father Tamerus and made his way to the instruction room.

“Good morningtide,” Anistis said in reply to Benjamin’s greeting, glancing past him and into the room momentarily to see how many others had arrived already. “I’m afraid there won’t be any instruction this morning," he told Benjamin. "I saw Father Tamerus before I came here, and he told me that the elder priests are holding some kind of meeting. You don't know anything about it, do you? Because truthfully,” he confided in a slightly lower tone, “I’m a little concerned; he looked rather upset.” A frown spread across Anistis’ face, but lingered only for a few moments. “On the good side of things, I guess that means some free time for us, provided there isn’t anything pressing that could use our assistance.”
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“You two there!” a voice calls out. A senior acolyte, looking rather harried comes rushing up. “Have either of you seen Father Tamerus? He is needed in Bishop Lazos office, so all his morning classes are canceled.

“Turning towards Anistis, the acolyte continues. “You there, many are still involved in morning worship. I need you to run around all the smaller chapels and find another acolyte. Someone named Tyrone, I believe he is Purificatio. He will be required in the bishops office after lunch.”

If Anistis decides to follow the acolyte’s request, then he will find Tyrone here.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

OOC: Thanks for taking the thread, by the way. I can tell you guys get pretty busy, and I've noticed a lot of new players on the member list deciding to start in Kings Court; it's all very much appreciated.

----

Purificatio? Anistis had only heard of them, and not everything he heard had been good. However, he chose to concentrate on the good that he had heard. They were, by all accounts, very pious men.

As he bid Benjamin and the newcomer a good morningtide, Anistis' curiousity about this situation only grew. As he turned and strode down the corridor, he could only hope that this meeting was not the herald of dire circumstances. Perhaps this Tyrone would be able to explain the situation to him.[/i]
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Archived

Return to “KC Archive”