A Happy Returning. (Chyril 27 TT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

A Happy Returning. (Chyril 27 TT)

Post by Haikan »

King's Court had most certainly seen war and it had taken its toll on the defences of the town. The South and West walls had suffered severe damage. However, new stones were now beginning to replace the makeshift wooden barriers that had been hastily erected to offer some protection to the city. The gates themselves, those Vigilant Gates of heavy oak proudly displaying the shield of arms of the king, were gone, replaced by rough cut wood from the fields surrounding Kings Court. Visitors had to pass through these main gates before they might enter the splendid city of Kings Court and experience everything the city has to offer. Several city guards were busy registering anyone who entered the capital, and offering information about the city and what might be found inside. With the King only recently dead, the guards were being more cautious than usual as rumours and counter-rumours concerning who was to succeed Balthasar swept across the city

It is well into the afternoon. As the sun hints of creeping toward the horizon, Haikan approaches the Gates with his lute in his hand, strumming a happy song. His vivid green eyes upon his clean face look tired, but excited still, for he is returning to his home. His pointed ears twitch as he sings in a smooth tenor along with his lute.

“Along my journey at last I find,

though lonely roads will surely wind,

My home no longer escapes from me,

And I’m happy for all that I have.

Yes I'm happy for all that I have,

The amber grain, shall dance in the breeze

Alone, no longer am I

The birds will sing, up in their trees

with the sun, still high in the sky,

Haikan, feels he is a familiar face to a decent amount of folk in the Kings Court. There is not an abundance of Adhiel that are native to Kings Court, so he is likely to be rather well known for it. Also his distinctively bright green eyes and blazing red hair are a striking signature to him.

He approaches wearing a garb that is clearly indicative of an adventurer. A shield clings to his back, and a sheathed schlaeger rests atop his left hip, a quiver of arrows at his right. His cloak and his fiery red hair blow in the late afternoon wind as he arrives at the gate.

He comes to a stop right in front of the registration/entry desk, closes his eyes:

"And I'm happy... For all... That I have..." he sustains the last vocal note with a steady vibrato, and he finishes the bridge of melody on his lute, savoring the resonance of his final chord. His eyes slowly rise, vacant, until they meet with the vanguard in front of him. He squeezes his eyes shut, stretches his arms out, and lets out a loud, satisfying yawn, he pulls his right arm back and scratches the back of his neck, beaming with a massive grin on his face, and his eyes are sparkling with joy as he lets out a chuckle and speaks.

“Well… It seems I did not make as good time as I had hoped for my return. It also seems that eveningtide is soon to be upon us. Pray, tell me noble Vanguard, how go the reparations of our home?”
Last edited by Haikan on Mon May 05, 2008 12:33 am, edited 7 times in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Sergeant Grimes was considering a nice mug of ale when he got off duty shortly. It had been a quiet watch after all. However his musings were interrupted by the sound of singing.

Eyeing Haikan as he approaches, he considers that his watch will be over none to soon. reparations of our home? Another popen jay it looks like were the thoughts that flowed through Grimes mind.

Ignoring the question, instead Grimes responds with a few of his own. "Name? religion? reason for visit?"
Last edited by Danomel on Mon May 05, 2008 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Of course, the vanguard is all business as usual. Haikan thinks to himself. Still though, it couldn't hurt to partake in a conversation on such a beautiful day. Strange of him to entirely ignore my question, is he not aware we just returned to peace after a frightful war?

"My name is Haikan, son of Joshua. I am but another child of Dominicus, and I am not visiting, I am returning from a rather long journey to my home in this fine city." It would be nice one of these days, to become well known enough to at least enter my hometown without the icy questioning of a Vanguard, who sees me as nothing more than a stranger. Regardless of his disappointment with this greeting, he gives Grimes a smile and swings his lute behind him and it rests in place on his back. The anticipation of entering his city after being away is too pleasant to not smile about.

"My venture outward led me somewhat far from home, but I am not near done. I merely wish to return to my town to pay a visit to the Basilica, and of course I have business of trade."
Last edited by Haikan on Mon May 05, 2008 4:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Grimes nods to a scribe at a small desk, who is taking down information in a ledger. The scribe nods back indicating that he has the information.

“So you are a native returning?” Grimes attitude noticeably thaws. “Too many strangers coming in these days. And not all for the greater good, as it might be. You should be aware that many things have changed over the past few months. Not sure how long you have been away, but do not be suprised.”

With a slight sigh, Grimes continues. But is that not the way of things, change that is?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Haikans smile grows as he is welcomed as a native. "Your caution is certainly not unprecedented. We must do what we can to maintain the world we live in. And lately that has been difficult it seems. I've been away for longer than I would have liked. But I intend to stay home for a good while before I return to my adventures in the outside."

It does seem things have changed here, perhaps I was gone too long. I should certainly remain about for a decent time. My adventures being quite uncertain, who knows when I may return.

"I look forward greatly to returning to my abode, I hope I am not presuming too much that my place of residence is still standing?"

He looks concerned for the sake of the town, for he actually knows very little of the war, for long gone he was indeed.

"Perhaps if it is free for you to discuss, you could enlighten me as far as the conditions of the war, for I was gone long enough that I know very little on the subject. All I've caught wind of was the unfortunate death of our king." The smile disappears from his face as he says this, and his expression is quite grave.
Last edited by Haikan on Fri May 23, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“As for the results of the war, I do wish you luck in finding your old stomping grounds, but do not be disappointed in what you find. But as you can see by looking around, rebuilding is an ongoing process.” Grimes answers, sweeping his arm along the visible length of the wall, where work is still going on.

“Yes, as to the king, that has been a problem. Unfortunately there is no heir apparent. And it is quickly becoming a critical issue for both the city and the church.” Grimes replied. “Though I am afraid that it is all wrapped up in religion and politics. For us common folk, there seems to be no clear and easy answers.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Even though we are but common folk, we can still keep our ears and eyes open to such things as this, though we have little political force to influence. I know that when religion and politics burn together they can achieve great goals, but our lack of a monarch leaves me to worry that the Kingdom we know of could be compromised..." The higher ups should be wary of foul play, I'm sure many wicked souls could be seduced to detestable actions by an empty throne. But it is not my place to get involved with political matters.

Haikan lowers his eyes to the ground, bowing his head slightly, and his bangs fall over his pointed ears and into his face.

"We may not be of great influence, but we can pray to the One that a suitable heir is found."

I wonder what father would say if he were still alive... It is most certainly more than the city that I am upset about.. Ever since I was left alone it has felt much less like home. And now it's in shambles atop of that. Coming here always dampens my spirits.

He closes his eyes and lowers his voice into a smooth and sincere tone:

"Seeing the city hurt like this truly is upsetting, isn't it? I wish a mere traveler like myself could be of greater help." Maybe that opportunity will make itself known to me, but I suppose until then I can at least investigate the condition of my home.

A flicker passes with his eyes still closed and afterward he raises his head up and with his right hand he brushes his hair out of his face and back behind his right ear. The adventurers voice brightens once more and he smiles.

"I am more than certain that everything will be alright if we have faith."
Last edited by Haikan on Sun May 18, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Grimes snorts somewhat dismissively. “When religion and politics burn together, sometimes the result is a wildfire out of control. But we shall see what comes to pass. At some point there must be a new Avatar.”

“Well I would love to chat some more, but I am going off duty shortly and have a rendezvous to keep.” Grimes continues. “If you find your home untenable, I would suggest the Dragons Den.”

Grimes holds out his hand indicating that Haikan should move along into the city.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Danomel wrote:“When religion and politics burn together, sometimes the result is a wildfire out of control."

How true it is, what he says. I am worried for the sanctity of our future as a kingdom. But, as he says I should move along.

"Thank you Sergent, I shall move along. Take care, and may you have a good eveningtide."

Haikan gives him a wave and enters into the city, with mighty exhaustion setting in, he heads up the Avenue of Trade, to make a stop at the Laughing King Tavern- this was his usual tavern of choice- before he arrives at his home.

"I don't know how much longer I can keep my eyes open..." The young adhiel drags his feet and aches for refreshment, as well as some much needed sleep.
Last edited by Haikan on Fri May 23, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Finished, Locked for Skilling

(Avatar by LEW 1998)

Return to “KC Archive”