Hitting the Books (Palace Gates, Chyril 27th TT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Anistis
The Tender

Hitting the Books (Palace Gates, Chyril 27th TT)

Post by Anistis »

In the center of King's Court the large palace stands out as a magnificent white building, shining over the capital from its high rock. It is surrounded by large walls and a heavy iron gate. On either side of the gate a royal guard stands on duty. In unison they march away when they are relieved by the next pair of guards, the tassels on their uniform swinging softly.

As you approach one of the guards steps forward and demands "Halt, please identify yourself and state the nature of your business."

Anistis gazed upon the palace with an appropriate sense of awe as he approached; the palace was certainly a marvel to behold, and for the acolyte, none of its majesty was diluted by the fact that the King's Palace dominated the landscape of his native city and he saw it every day. Anistis had often been complimented for his never-waning appreciation for the joys and wonders of daily life, but it was no amazing feat; he couldn't help but bask in the beauty of the world his God had created and the people and things that populated it.

Anistis was quite distracted by his contemplation of the palace's architecture when he was stopped by the guard at the gates.

"Oh. Sorry. Good Tradetide to you, sir. I'm Anistis, a Dominican acolyte from the Basilica? I'm just here to browse the library."

The acolyte smiled at the guard, admiring the patience and rigor it would take to perform such a job. Having to stand still for such long intervals while still remaining vigilant certainly took a great deal of skill.

Well, he thought, waiting for the guard's reply, if there's anywhere in the city where I'll be able to find any written information about Jaxomen, the Jackal, and this cult, this is it.
Last edited by Anistis on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

The Guard considered Anistis for a moment with a critical eye. “Acolyte? I do not recall receiving word that any of you would be coming here today. This is highly irregular, usually father Garonius arranges such visits.”

Considering Anistis for a flicker , the guard nods. “I am sure it is a simple administrative oversight. Please enter. I will have one of the pages run over to the Basilica and rectify the issue.”
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis hadn't visited the Palace before, and silently chastised himself for not looking further into the issue before simply walking here. He'd not known that official permission or at least notification from his superiors at the Basilica was required simply to enter the library.

For a moment, he considered telling the guard as much and going back to ask, but the very next thought was that Father Garonius would likely ask the purpose of his visit to the library. ...And if Tyrone was right, he shouldn't be revealing that to anyone. He needed to get in there, and surely lying to his superiors was a greater offense than simply entering the palace grounds to read a few books...

"Thank you," he said, forcing a smile and entering the gates with a sick feeling growing in the pit of his stomach.

Dominicus All-Compassionate, he prayed silently, please forgive me this infraction committed in Your service, and if You see fit to bring me to my just punishment for it, I ask You to give me the grace and courage to accept it.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Just as Anistis was entering the gate, a loud noise, of someone dropping several books sounded. Looking back the way he had come, he noted a woman was approaching the gate, and had dropped three of the five books she was unsuccessfully trying to carry. Which was to be expected, as two of them were of fairly good size.

“Oh by all that’s holy, this will never do. Never do at all!” the woman exclaims.

The guard was rolling his eyes with a look of contempt fighting with disgust on his face.

The guard starts talking fast in a low voice. “Look you, what did you say your name was? Ahh… not important at the moment. You were going to the library anyway. Do me a favor, and help her ladyship. I go off duty in a few marks and I do not need to get saddled with helping out her ladyship, the royal pain in the rear.”
Last edited by Danomel on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

The guard's annoyance seemed unwarranted to Anistis, but he didn't say so, but rather went back and began gathering the woman's books; he would've helped her with or without the guard's request.

He smiled up at her as he arranged the books in a stack so that he could more easily carry them.

"Good tradetide, ma'am. I'll give you a hand with these. Just lead the way."

"Oh," he said, offering a slight bow, which caused him to drop a few books off of the top of his stack. "I'm Anistis, by the way. Hold on, I'll grab these..."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

The woman nods here head towards Anistis, and takes in his robes with a surprised raising of her eyebrows.

“Thank you for your offer Acolyte Anistis?” Her voice rises at the end slightly making the title a question.

“Obviously someone who has an appreciation for the written word.” She says in a rather loud voice as she glares in the direction of the guards. In a lower voice she continues, “I would think that if guards are to be assigned to a library, they should at least have an appreciation for what they are guarding. But oh no, not these numbskulls. Not a clue or desire in there small little minds. Try as I might, I can not seem to garner the smallest spark of interest for the finer things. Horribly frustrating don’t you know? Must be nice working in the Basilica where the literary rate is so high. Most of the people that I meet from there seem to have at least a basic understanding of the written word. Not like around here. Can you actually believe that some of the nobles expect to be read too? Oh but some of those people from the bard college, they have an appreciation don’t you know?” Her words come out in a rush, as she seems to stumble form one thought to another.

From closer, Anistis can see that she seems to be around her mid twenties, conservatively dressed with mouse brown hair, and pale blue eyes. Neither pretty or ugly, the best word to describe her face would be ordinary.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Post by Azure Stonehand »

Azure looked at the palace before her and Matiel and stopped. This is where it all begins. There is no returning. The building was intimidating. She suddenly felt very small, very insignificant against its grand size. She looked at Matiel by her side and smiled.

"Are you ready, Matiel?" She asked sweetly, noticing his interesting appearance again and being undaunted by it. "This is where we begin a new path. I am happy to begin this new path with you. Shall we see the Lady now together?"

Azure carefully turned her attention to the woman who was talking ahead. She wished she could read more than simple instructions. Suddenly she realized it would be best if Matiel presented the papers as he was certainly more literate than she. She thrust them toward Matiel.

"Here, Matiel." She said in a very low whisper. "It might be better if you present them to her and I convince her we are best for the job. Anyway, it does appear that we may have more help joining us."
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis held a polite smile throughout the woman's monologue, but it made him a bit uncomfortable. The woman's snobbery regarding something like literacy, a skill that didn't come easy or cheap, seemed unreasonable to him. The attitude that one's intellect was somehow a measure of one's worth was a common one at the Basilica, and Anistis couldn't have disagreed more. Each person was of value by sheer virtue of the fact that each was lovingly created by the same One. Intelligence was a gift from Him, not something to be used to set oneself up as a god above others.

He searched briefly for a tactful way to express these sentiments, but not finding one, he simply ignored the more abrasive parts of her greeting. Anistis wasn't put off by her words; he was sure she had understandable, if not justifiable, reasons for her frustrations.

"You're more than welcome, ma'am. I'm actually headed to the library myself to do a little bit of research. I suppose you're returning these?" He glanced at the book on the top of the stack. "What have you been reading, if you don't mind my asking?"
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

Azure wrote:"I want adventure, Matiel. Something better than the normal life of drudgery and work, marriage and children." Azure answered Matiel's question with a slight blush, her eyes dancing with excitement. "I want to have an adventurous life, not something dull and normal. I want to make a place in this world that is not mundane. I want people to know my name and associate it with something good and honorable. That is what I want with this sword on my back and this excitement in my heart. Haven't you ever wanted to be something special? Haven't you ever wanted to have excitement and adventure?"

Matiel looked on as he matched Azure's steps beside her, "Yes, you could say that about me. Although, you should keep in mind, I'm a bookkeeper and a scribe. I've seen nothing but books all my life, so don't expect too much from me, even though I say that we will get that job."

They walked for a while until they reached the building itself. Matiel wasn't a stranger to it's form. The palace was a beacon of King's Court architecture dating its style from it's earliest inception up to recent additions from it's current occupants. Yet, the essence of stone remained. Everything was still thick, tall, and standing. Everything defied wind, rain, and maybe even fire. Everything was so undeniably human, so undeniably arrogant. Matiel licked his lips as his mind drew the hand of god crushing the stone back to its rightful place: earth.

"Are you ready, Matiel?" she asked, her voice wiping his ears with silk. It was the kind of voice that tasted of toffee dropped with bits of strawberries. It was something that made the young man cringe, his shoulders shuddering, his eyes flinching.

"Together?" he asked, "A new path? My, my, you really have had your heart set on this business for a long time running now haven't you? I'm curious, what exactly was it that your father did and what exactly did you push you to do? What was it that drove you to this? It's not everyday that I meet a stalwart adventurer such as yourself."

Matiel then accepted the papers from her hands and read over them once more. He nodded and stepped up nearer towards the palace.[/quote]
Last edited by Matiel Escariot on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Azure and Matiel meet a guard at the second gate, who looked over the paper from the scribes guild. Calling a page over, he instructs the young boy to show the two of them to the Palace Library and introduce them to the Lady Sharena Deborona.

As Azure and Matiel come in view of the library doors, they notice another guard at the door. There is also a lady and a Acolyte kneeling down and picking up some papers and books.

The Page pauses by the two and addresses the woman. “Lady Zeynara Deborona, these two have come from the scribe’s guild to inquire about employment with your mother. May I leave them with you?”

The woman glances at the two new arrivals then back at the page. “Oh alright. Scamper off to whatever other duties await.” With a wave of her hand she dismisses the page.

Turning back towards Azure and Matiel, Anistyis temporary forgotten, she continues. “Just call me Zeynara. My mother is the lady. Don’t think I am that old yet. Do I look that old? Well no mind. You’re here to help with the codex project I presume? But of course, what else might you be here for if not that. .”

Zeynara pauses for a flicker as if recalling something. “Oh yes, this is fryer uhh…” Turning her attention back to Anistis, she asks “Did you give me your name already. I swear it has been a busy day. Don’t know what my memory is coming to? And you two are whom?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Matiel Said:
Together?" he asked, "A new path? My, my, you really have had your heart set on this business for a long time running now haven't you? I'm curious, what exactly was it that your father did and what exactly did you push you to do? What was it that drove you to this? It's not everyday that I meet a stalwart adventurer such as yourself."

Azure felt her cheeks grow hot and took a deep breath. "My father was a stone cutter and I helped him get jobs and worked with him." She paused, thinking of her father all alone. She shoved the thought aside. "What drove me to this is I want something special, not something normal and mundane. Stone cutting is incredibly boring and on some days it felt too much like hard labor. I want something more for me than a life of that. And by the way," she said nicely, "I don't expect anything out of you except your assistance with words and perhaps some problem solving. Anything requiring a sword I'll handle, thank you."

She turned her attention toward the castle again.

Zeynara said:
“Did you give me your name already. I swear it has been a busy day. Don’t know what my memory is coming to? And you two are whom?”

"I am Azure Stonehand," She motioned to Matiel. "This is Matiel Escariot. I am pleased to meet you m'lady."
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"A stonecutter?" Matiel wondered out softly from his lips, "I see no shame in that. I see no plagues of the mundane. You must understand, lady, I am scholar. Much of my time is spent at the table with letters, not that different from what you father does for a living. In fact, I'm much intrigued with the trade itself. I wish I had the ability with these hands, for if you were to look closely, these hands are fairer than a woman's face. A shame for any man my age. A damn shame."

He let the coarser words of his speech drift away softly as they stepped closer towards their agenda. That agenda was a woman not that unlike Azure, only she appeared older and leaned more towards the shrill of disposition kind. Matiel slowed a step behind Azure, letting the girl start off their introductions, before he shifted forward smoothly to present the papers Mecros gave to them.

"We, madame, were sent by Mecros of the Scribe's Guild to assist with your endeavors. Although, I am not sure whether this be a commissioned work or a volunteered one. What that nature might be, I assure you of my partner and I's competence."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Zeynara nods, but frowns at the ‘m’lady” reference. Well then come along. You, Matiel did you say? Would you be a dear and lend a hand to the fryer here whose name currently escapes me. But be careful, as those books are very important.”

Grabbing Azure’s hand Zeynaya continues her rambling talking. “So your name is Azure? Where do you hail from. Don’t worry about them. Let the men folk do some work. These two seem to know how to treat a woman.” At this she shoots a withering glance at the guard who is doing his best to ignore her. “Unlike some others around here.”

Heading towards the library door, practically dragging Azure along side her, without so much as a backwards glance at Matiel an Anistis, she continues. “Oh it will be so nice to have another woman around. Men can be so dense sometimes don’t you know. Anyway you will like mother, though some say she is a bit to reserved. It is just that she does not talk so much, rather spending too much time with her nose in the books. Not that that is a bad thing, but really, we are social creatures are we not?”

Entering the library and making their way to the back part, they come upon a older woman who bears some strong family resemblance to Zeynara. She is busy taking notes on the contents of the book on the table before her.

Zeynara announces their arrival. “Mother, we have visitors from the scribes guild.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Azure Stonehand
Civus

"Um..." Azure opened her mouth and shut it again as the torrent of the woman's ramblings carried the conversation away from adequate responses. She could do nothing but allow the woman to carry her away to her mother. She shot a backward glance at Matiel for a flicker, making sure he was fine under his load of books.

"Social creatures," Azure finally said as she was dragged along to the older woman. "Yes, yes. I suppose we are." She studied the old woman as they came upon her. The woman seemed absorbed in a book, the scratching of her quill as she took notes irritated Azure for a moment. When Zeynara announced them, Azure tried to regain her composure.

"My Lady," She said with deep respect. "My partner Matiel and I have been sent by the Scribe's Guild to assist you. We are happy to help." Azure managed a bright smile and regarded the lady with a gentle curtsy.
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

At the arrival of the group, the Lady Deborona takes a flicker to finish the sentence she is writing before looking up. With sharp blue eyes, she glances quickly at each of the new arrivals.

“Ahh, three young people from the guild? Zeynara, I trust you have explained the nature of the work? Or have you been prattling on about other trivialities?”

Zeynara blushes, and is suddenly silent.

The Lady Deborona looks again towards the three new comers. “Please have patients with my daughter. She seems to have some small amount of trouble controlling her tongue. Ever since she learned to talk. Though I can’t really find fault, after all she is intensely curious about almost everything.” A slight smile touches her lips.

“Please introduce yourselves, then I will discuss the nature of the jobs I need help with. “The Lady Deborona focuses her attention on Azure as she was the only one to have spoken so far.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"Social Creatures," Matiel mumbled after the youn lady before he let his voice fade and sleep, How true and oh so simplistic. I had thought her kind dead in these parts, but I guess I was wrong. I'm sure her father is dead though, and if not: quite proud of her.

Matiel smiled as he followed after the women, listening to their talk. Zeynara seemed to have a great deal of love for her own voice and the little itsy bits of decorum that had early on been impressed upon her. Matiel had no doubts concerning the kinds of books she read, judging from her tone. He also had no doubts over Azure enjoying her company, considering of course that he had it right in judging both women. Matiel was observant, true, but unpracticed in reading people. All he had were words, manners, and expressions upon which to ascertain. Everything else was wrapped in silk.

Matiel turned to the calm faced cleric beside him and pushed out his palms, offering to carry some of the bound pages the man already had.
"My name is Matiel of the Escariot family, goodman of Dominicus. I hope to have a pleasant day's work with you."
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Please introduce yourselves, then I will discuss the nature of the jobs I need help with. “The Lady Deborona focuses her attention on Azure as she was the only one to have spoken so far.

Azure stifled herself from blushing and took a step closer to the Lady. "My name is Azure Stonehand and I hail from Kings Court, my lady. It is a pleasure to meet you. I look forward to assisting you." Azure then looked at Matiel, noticing his hands were without blemish and without the strain of work upon them, thus marking him as a scribe. She paused to wonder if somehow this excursion would make it into his papers or stories. She shoved the thought away. It was time for him to introduce himself and she waited for his voice to cut through niceties like a blade.
Last edited by Azure Stonehand on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Matiel Escariot
Civus

The Lady Deborona accosted them before Matiel could have Anistis's reply. He faced her, not wanting to disrespect her, and heard Azure take the first introductions. He then noticed her look to him, waiting for his words next.

Matiel followed after her, placing himself a step behind her to her left, and nodded his head as a slight bow, "My name is Matiel Escariot of Trade Avenue, a student scribe enrolled at the Bardic College, and on occasion doing odd jobs from the guild. I hope to be of assistance."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

OOC: Sorry for the Delay…

IC:

The Lady Deborona stares at Anistis for several flickers waiting for an introduction. Seeing non forthcoming, she turns her attention back to the others.

“I am seeking aid in reconstructing a book. The problem is that sometime in the past it was disassembled for some reason. I have managed to locate around half of the pages. I am hoping that the others are out there somewhere and have not been destroyed. I must warn you, there is a bit of danger involved here. Certain people do not want the contents of the Codex coming into the public awareness. You see it is a book of prophesy, and several seem to concern the future of Kings Court, several that some of the powers in this city are not going to like. So be warned, there is an element of danger here!”

Lady Deborona watches them all carefully, obviously waiting for an acknowledgement of her statement of danger before proceeding.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Matiel didn't expect this to happen so early in the morning's tide. It took him three flickers to realize that it was real, not a joke.

The young scribe left Azure's side and found himself a chair. He pulled it up to the table opposite Lady Deborana's own side. As he did so, everyone seemed to disappear from his considerations. His thoughts now, were all on what the aged woman before him was saying.

"I'm going to take out the niceties here. What you are suggesting is interesting. I love books. I like looking for rare books. I even want to write my own someday. What you are asking for though is something far from casual, far from what a passerby apprentice is usually called for. That's what I am, Madame, an apprentice. It does seem, however, that what you need here is not a scribe but a person who you need to find things. This, this is something I am very good at. Now, if the risk entails that I stick my neck out, how far I am willing to stick it out solely depends on what I stand to gain."

Matiel licked his lips and allowed his words to sink into her before he continued, "Now, what are your terms? Once I agree to them, you must agree to mine also. I am effective, but for me to be effective, there are somethings that I would need."
Last edited by Matiel Escariot on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Azure blinked as she listened to Matiel. She looked at him sitting next to the woman and wondered what he was getting at. Azure found her voice and spoke: "I'm willing to assist in any way I am able, my lady. I am most certain that both of us can assist you in your endeavor."

The thrill of the adventure excited Azure so deeply she found it difficult to contain. This is exactly what Azure was looking for. This was it.

She looked at Anistis with a smile. "My name is Azure, as you noticed," She spoke in a whisper, "I am pleased to meet you. It would be less awkward if I knew who you are." She then turned her attention to Matiel and the Lady, awaiting more information about the job. Pieces of a book seemed simple enough, if there were people guarding it...that seemed simple enough also. Azure feared that the danger came from both the people hiding the book's pieces and the travel to get there.

The excitement built again and the tension of waiting for her Ladyship's response became nearly unbearable.
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

OOC: Sorry for the long hiatus, everyone. I suffered a computer crash and it proved too difficult to get to a computer with any regularity. I'm back online now, though, so posting should be relatively consistent again.

IC:

Anistis, having been swept up behind the woman (now identified as Zeynaya) and the two individuals by whom she was met, followed along, carrying Zeynaya's books. As they entered the library, the acolyte could not help but be impressed by the sheer number of shelves and volumes upon those shelves. It seemed a nigh-limitless wealth of information and story. He could have spent days in here, randomly selecting a tome here and a pamphlet there, and pouring over them, taking from them whatever he could.

As he was staring in awe of the various shelves and drinking in what he found to be the delightful smell of yellowing pages, he completely missed the Lady Deborona's request for an introduction, but snapped back to the present when she began detailing the task she had in mind for Matiel and Azure.

Danger, she'd said? If nothing else, this was proving to be a day more full of that than anything Anistis had ever experienced previously. Perhaps this Codex had something to do with why the young acolyte had come here in the first place.

Azure's whispered greeting jerked Anistis back to the present once more.

"I'm Anistis," he said under his breath by way of a response. "Sorry, I was somewhere else for a moment, there."
Azure Stonehand
Civus

"Good morrow, Anistis!" Azure said happily. "Its a pleasure to meet you. I'm so glad that you'll be joining us. I am very excited to be doing anything for her ladyship." Azure smiled and her eyes twinkled. "Matiel is good company and even better at this than I am. Its my first time getting a job," she made sure her voice was a breathy almost silent whisper. "I hope I do well."

"So you're with the church? Is that exciting service?" Azure caught herself with a sigh. "I'm sorry I keep blabbering on. Do forgive me. I am just very excited to be here and a bit nervous too. When I'm nervous, I blab. Sorry."

Azure covered her mouth and turned her attention back toward the Matiel and her ladyship eager to hear what would be her response.
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

"No apologies necessary," said Anistis with a broad smile. "Working for the Church is an enriching experience, if not a thrill a minute." He paused for a moment, contemplating the events of the day so far. "Of course, there's a fair amount of intrigue to be found, depending on where you look."

Shifting the books in his arms, Anistis returned his attention to Lady Deborona and let his expression return to one of seriousness as he listened attentively.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“Nice of you to join us” the Lady Deborona said. “Just put those books over their”, she points to a half empty table.

“Now as down to business, the Matagorian Codex is an ancient book of prophesy. For some reason it has remained hidden for a long time. There is at least one intact copy out their somewhere. During my teen years my father discovered it. Unfortunately, before it could be properly studied and classified, it was stolen. Shortly after, all the scholars, my father included, who worked on the project meet strange untimely accidental deaths. I was lucky enough to see the work my father discovered. That is how I knew the small collection of papers I found some time ago in the Citadel were copies of the same book.”

“I have spent quite a bit of time searching through other cities for more parts of the book. I believe I have about half the book collected now. Enough to start the translation.”

However, I can not be out and about looking for the remaining pieces and still be able to be here working on the translation. Which is where you come in. I will be giving you some training so that you will be able to recognize pieces of the manuscript when you see them. And when I get reports of possible pages, you will be going out to investigate and retrieve them.”

“Any Questions?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)

Return to “KC Archive”