Down the Darkened Alleyways (Poor Quarter, Chyril 27 MET)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Mal takes a flicker to stare at the two with his good eye. “Do I know you?” Glancing towards Mikail, the man continues. “You seem somewhat familiar. It has been awhile since the fire, and my memory is not what it used to be. Friendly's burned to the ground, but I guess you already know that. Quit a few died in the fire. Some as said it was on purpose. Me, some days I am thankful I live, other days not so much. Just glad to have employment, even if it is mucking out the stalls at night. Seems many find my appearance unsettling.”

Considering for a flicker Mal leverages himself to his feet and pulls on a robe which pretty much hides his appearance. “Some of the stock is here. No one to claim it. Sure if you can make a case to Blanber he will cut ya some slack.” Mal pauses for a moment. “There is one horse, part of the stock, I'm sure Blanber would be happy to be rid of it. Come along, let me show you.”

Mal adjusts his robes and hobbles to the door.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

"Th- thank you, sir!" Haikan felt terrible about this man's plight, and he made certain to not show any signs of shock or disdain for this man's appearance. He wished more than anything that there was something he could do. He turned to Mikail and whispered: "Isn't there anything you can do with your alchemy to help this man?" He did not know what he would do, but there had to be something. A painkiller, a regeneration salve, some ginko to placate his loss of memory. Even makeup to hide his ghastly appearance. It was hard to describe, but he felt like he couldn't be a good person unless he did something to help this 'Mal.' For now all he could do that was within his power, was think of the unhoused horses.

"We could certainly find a home for any unclaimed horses." He signaled for Mikail to follow, and he went wherever Mal led him. He would find a way to help this man, but for now it was the horses that needed his attention.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail looked listless, at this point seeing no point in raising his emotions for the sake of Haikan, this man, or himself. He wanted to help this man but in his current state was powerless to do so. Haikan pleaded with him to help him, but he remained silent, knowing there's nothing he can do. In order to advance my knowledge in alchemy far enough to help this man, I'll need to resources to acquire materials and knowledge alike. The only way to do that is to succeed in this venture, so the most altruistic option is to remain calm, act indifferent to his appearance, and hope that I can help him someday.

Mikail followed them, wondering why Jonash would be so eager to dispose of a horse. I hope it's not untamed beyond reason, I know how to mildly distill humans, but I've never tried it on animals... It might be possible. The horse could also be injured, which I suppose would give me the chance to form a quick bond should I bring it back on its feet. His thoughts were interrupted by the constant worry about the feasibility of this company.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Mal, glanced at the two. “Now don’t you go pitying old Mal! Me wounds have long since healed. And to tell the truth, my body may have suffered, but my soul has found salvation.”

Mal continues to hobble at his slow pace, as others move out of the way. He weaves a steady path towards the corral at the back of the establishment.

“Them pretenders up in the Basilica, they speak good words from the wrong side of their mouths. It was the followers of Unity that came and helped. They come among the poor and downtrodden, they have the power of the One. But they use it to help others, not further themselves. Have ye ever met any of their humble monks? There is an aura of peace about them wherever they go.”

Mal stops by the side of the corral. A pony, somewhat smaller than the other horses trots over to him and nuzzles his shoulder. It has to be one of the ugliest horses in the corral. “This hears a mountain pony. I call her Jezara, which is a long story so don’t ask. She may not look it, but she can carry as much weight as any of the rest of these spoiled nags. And she can outlast them all. She’s smart too. Most city folk are not interested in her type. They like the more visually appealing ones. Me and her we got something in common there!” Mal lets out a short laugh.

“She came from Friendlys, and I am sure the proprietor will let her go for a song.”
Last edited by Danomel on Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Haikan envied this man's optimism. This was a guy who's been dealt terrible cards, and made the best of it. What really caught his attention was Mal's mentioning of the Followers of the One who were doing good. Are there such people...? He could do nothing but hope that the man spoke the truth. He found himself believing him, and he was happy that the church wasn't entirely corrupt and evil.

When they reached the horse and heard Mal's explanation, he turned to Mikail and whispered. "Even if your horse is gone, here's one that I think is perfect for us." He returns his attention to Mal and without even looking it in the ugly mouth, he grins. Even if it wasn't as special as Mal said, he mentioned that he could get it for a good discount, and he found himself somehow charmed by the beast. "We'll take it. Happily, if I may add." If Mikail disagreed, Haikan would help him get his own horse, but he liked something about this one. "Should I pay you, or Jonash?" He remembered that Jonash was in charge of most business here, so he planned to buy the bulk of their horses from him at a deal, but he wasn't sure if Mal also had the authority to sell.
Last edited by Haikan on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

As Haikan spoke, the horse turned its attention form Mal to him. As if studying him for several flickers.

Mal fished around in his robe for a moment and passed a lump of hard candy to Haikan. “He likes sweets, though they are probably no good for him".

The horse bumps Haikans hand expectantly.
Last edited by Danomel on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Oh. Thanks Mal." He hoped for the horse to warm up to him, it was a beautiful horse in his eyes, and he was optimistic about her capabilities, and the friendship they might share in the future.

The elf gratefully took the candy and he petted the horse as he held the treat in front of her. "Here you go,' he said, and he left the treat in his palm, open for the horse to eat. Softly he spoke to the animal, in his warmest tone of voice.

"Go ahead, Jezara. It's alright."
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail looked around as they talked, and watched the horse emerge. He liked what he was hearing, and found its appearance to make it more unique. He reached his hand out slowly and patted it on the snout, and reached behind its ear and began scratching the base of its mane.

Mikail gazed at Mal, and decided he was going to talk again. "I wish there were more people like you Mal. I don't see this horse as ugly, and you either. Personally I feel that when one thing becomes beautiful, others become ugly, and therefore superficial judgements only take away from the beauty of the world. You probably get more value out of life than someone that works to find the prettiest horse to look at. Whatever horse my father purchased, I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly as helpful or desirable as this one."

It's been a while since I've met someone that really made me think about the way I look at the world. I don't see much of my future in this part of the city, but this is a friend to be valued.

He looked at Haikan and smiled, and scratched the horse's mane again. "Jezera..."
Last edited by Mikail on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Trying to wrap up all pre-recess threads! Sorry if this post is sort of awkward, trying to cover some ground.

Jezara, motled and stout, whinied loudly as Mal searched his robe. The pony recognized the movement, and she fixed one large inky black eye on the treat, but didn't move straight away - still unsure of the adhiel and his intentions. Opening a gap-toothed maw, Jez bit at the sugared treat on Haikan's hand and rubbed her soft muzzle over the palm of his small hand in the process.

Mal found Jezara's ears attentive toward the affection. She leaned into his hand. The short animal gave a nose-huff and then moved closer to a post to rub at an itch on her hindquarter, and then started to wander off do whatever it is animals do when they aren't being paid attention to.

"You want to have her now?" Mal asked. "If so, you can pay me now, that'll be just fine," he responded, but drew quiet as Mik made his philosophical commentary. "Thanks, boy - I think the world is doin just fine with the one of me, though," he gave a hearty laugh meant to turn the subject from the compliment toward his person which made him somewhat uncomfortable.

When Mikail mumbled her name, Jezara perked up a bit and sauntered over to him. Her lips curled back from her teeth in a sort of smile, though her intention was difficult to judge. Her ears twitched as flies swirled around them until she gave a violent shake of her head, her mane ruffling around her small multi-colored head until her bangs settled back over her eyes again in a blonde mop over her tawny and white face. "Think she likes ya," Mal said jovially.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail laughed, pleased at the amiability of both the horse and the man. "Well Haikan, do your thing!" He didn't have much musical ability. He could recognize pitches, and his achadhiel ears were sensitive to such things, but he never trained any sort of musical faculty. He was merely waiting for Haikan to impress the man.

I wonder if he meant a song literally, or if that's a way of referring to cash here. I'd better not assume such things, I am after all an out-lander.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

OOC: Shall we wrap this up and just summarize rest of what happens?

Haikan procured some coin from his satchel and held out a sufficient amount, waiting for Mal to offer a price. Once he did, he would pay him accordingly.

"Alright, well I suppose we should still keep Jezara and the rest of the horses here. I'll purchase the rest of the horses some other time, if Jonash is too busy at the moment."
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

As Haikan reached into his pocket and pulled out money, Mikail thought for a moment. When he said he'd let Jezera go for a song, did he mean literally a musical piece, or does that mean a small amount of money? In order to avoid alienating himself, he simply watched curiously to see the transaction. He scratched the base of Jezera's mane again. His father told him it was a way to get an animal to warm up to you, and since he knew nothing else as far as bonding with animals was concerned, he repeated the procedure. By massaging the hair follicles with his fingernails, he imagined that he'd create an itch just in time to scratch it. While he was scratching the mane, he looked back at the two as they talked.
Last edited by Mikail on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: I think we're pretty much done here! Excellent suggestion. I'll lock it after you each reply & send it off for skilling.

Mal offered a price, and it was low enough that Haikan had the money on him. "Jezara will stay here for now, then," he said. "Until you get the rest of them. Jonash is pretty busy right this flicker in the office with all that business out front, but I'm sure you could stop by tomorrow," he suggested and itched at the air where the rest of his arm should've been. Phantom sensations plagued the amputated appendage, but as soon as he remembered it wasn't there he stopped and rubbed his scarred arm.

Jezara shook her head at Mikail's affections and almost head butted him with her enthusiasm to run her nose against his shoulder.

"You boys have a good day, you hear? Ol' Mal has some things to get on to doing. I'm sure I'll be seeing you around tomorrow."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Alright, Mal. You take care of yourself, and we'll be sure to do the same!" He gave a heartfelt bow and he patted Jezara on the snout. "You take care of yourself as well, Jezara." He then turned towards the door and began to walk outside.

"With that, I suppose we should be off."
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

"Thank you very much for your help." Mikail gave the man a friendly bow and followed Haikan out the door, glancing back at Mal and Jezera as he walked away.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

SKILLS:
Haikan
Bartering/Haggling: +*
Conversation: +**
Streetwise: +**

Mikail
Philosophy: +**
Streetwise: +**
Conversation: +*
Last edited by Ashari on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “KC Archive”