To Begin Again (Jygust 30 eMT: the Downs)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Sando Haymaker
Civus

To Begin Again (Jygust 30 eMT: the Downs)

Post by Sando Haymaker »

OOC: This thread is host to the meeting advertised in the open letter recorded here

There was a pleasant sprinkle drizzling lazily from the sky that morning. Sando much preferred the rain to the sweltering heat which Jygust was known to be capable of producing. And he did know that heat very well, having spent the largest share of his youth toiling within it. Just another thing in my favor today, the halfling thought to himself in an encouraging manner. I just hope that the dark clouds do not scare away any potential business!

The following day would be an incredibly important day for Sando Haymaker and the company with which he had recently affiliated himself with. And this drippy morningtide would hopefully reveal their last unknown variable as to the probable success of the upcoming caravan to Brie and beyond.

Nodding politely to whomever happened to be on gate duty at that early hour, Sando readjusted his pack on his shoulders and began the short walk to the split in the road which lead off to the Downs. Local mills were the key for today's activities. Sando and associates needed to convince the millers that their transportation service could yield the business-owners dramatically improved profits.

The young halfling plodded on...
wiki wrote:Since the earliest days of King's Court, there has always been a large skirt of open grassland surrounding it's high walls. The land was cleared initailly as a result of the growing city's need for timber and charcoal; the land was also cleared for defense so that invading forces would have nowhere to hide as they approached the city. Now the Downs houses several small spread out homes, farms, and orchards as well as broad stretches of grassland, all nominally protected under the watchful eye of the city's garrison. What little forest that remains within the Downs are still within sight of the vast city, and mounted patrols of the city guard still ride their easy routes, quick with a friendly greeting or helpful hand in these more peaceful, calmer areas of the township.

Sando reached the pre-determined location and saw that he was the first to arrive. Not wanting to get his notes wet, he kept his pack closed up tight and settled himself under the old tree. He was determined to not be nervous. Determination, however, is sometimes fleeting.

The farmer-turned-merchant looked around himself, taking in the pastoral view and stealing glances back towards the city proper for signs of his companions... or of potential clients.
Last edited by Sando Haymaker on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

"Sando, good show of spirit! I can see you are early!" Waving spiritedly from about 20 yards behind was Haikan. His apparel was the expensive outfit he bought for just such an occasion. It's only purpose was for meetings and business encounters, for Haikan preferred a more practical garb than the noble outfit he sported now. After his cheery wave, he cleared his throat, glanced around, and righted his posture, to look more professional.

He had silver leggings and undertunic, with a tight-fiitting black outer tunic with white trim around the collar and sleeves. There were gold-colored buttons along the middle of his chest, and his posture was perfectly straight- his shoulders back, his chest protruding, and his stomach tight. His hair was neat and combed, straight back, and he looked much more refined than he preferred. His teeth were very white, due to his use of Mikail's special oral cleansing potion. His left arm rested on his scabbard, which was nobly perpendicular to the ground. He was prepared to be a leader, and he could not show weakness in any fashion to do that.

There's no sense in hiding his 'fun' side from Sando, but he was getting into the character, that was becoming more and more prominent while on the clock.

As he reached the tree, he extended his hand to the halfling.
"Are we ready to be heroes of trade, my friend?"
Last edited by Haikan on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Taking the adhiel's hand and shaking enthusiastically, Sando replied in his usual over-complicated manner, "Warriors who winning wars come home as heroes. Beloved kings who dying on their thrones are buried as heroes. I can only hoping that our reputation does not rely so heavily wars nor death."

It was meant as a joke. Well... Maybe it was meant as a joke. It was one of those awkward Sandy moments of confused garbled communication. A brain dump if you will. Perhaps it was due to his mildly shaken nerves, perhaps it was simply his nature to be cryptic.

Looking down at Haikan's handsome outfit, Sando became slightly red-faced with embarrassment. His clothing budget had not allowed him to purchase new clothing. He was wearing almost the exact same thing he was wearing on his first day traveling into the city. The halfling self-consciously dusted himself off and made sure that he did not have any loose earth clinging to his backside from where he had been resting under the tree.

He spoke to change his own train of thought more than anything, "The weather... How will this affect our plans this morningtides?"

He quickly added to the first question before the charismatic man before him had a chance to reply; "And Mikail. Will he be comings to making the appearance? He is staying with you, correct?"
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"If things go as planned, our mission may end war and suffering in the Western Kingdom, Sando." He put his hand on the halflings shoulder, in a reassuring fashion, and he smiled as he continued. "A more affordable means of trade and communication should bring the lands together as one, in time."

Haikan liked Sando. He showed promise, and his stutterings and mispronunciations of the language made him seem so much more innocent than most folk. His goals were noble, and he was a good person to have around. "We'll be heroes, I'm sure of it. And- your hometown will be the first to benefit from our success."

The optimistic young adhiel looked up at the cloudy sky, the air was moist, but it wasn't deterring. If anything the cool breeze and the cloudshadows were even more incentive to be outside. "The weather shouldn't be a problem, I don't think. And Mikail will be joining us later. I could be mistaken, but I beleive he had some loose ends to tie up this morning."
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Being touched like that was a little strange for the halfling. He'd gone a long time without any sort of real, emotionally-driven social contact apart from fond handshakes. It really had been a long couple of months since they had all stumbled upon one another. The halfling had tilled entire fields by himself, loaded entire wagons full of feed sacks single-handedly, and even tended to what seemed like an entire flock of chickens for years. Yet he had never worked this hard. Not like this. Starting a business took brainpower and brawn. The young halfling loved the work immensely.

He listened intently to Haikan's words and dissected them. He had always been jealous of the adhiel's ability with the human language. Sando had not taken to it nearly as well.

Bring us all together as one... bring an end to war. What more noble a cause is there? the halfling pondered.

Sando began to pace, his mind now shifting from nervousness to productivity. He always did his best thinking while walking. The cool air moving against his exposed arms felt refreshing. Invigorating even. Bringing his head up, Sando called for Haikan as he looked towards the bright orange, fiery sun slowly cresting the rolling hills of the Downs.

"A new sun to marking a new day. A new day that's markings the beginning of the last day we have to prepare ourselves. To think... It is only a matter of tides before we off towards Brie." The halfling stared towards the horizon for a moment before continuing. "It feels like we have only been back for a week, Haikan."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"A new day... A new journey..." The sun rising seemed to reflect the rising ambition in Haikan's heart. He truly felt like their company could make a difference, and it was a good feeling. "I know how you feel. The home life is so simple and safe, the marks turn to flickers waiting for the next adventure." Adventuring was in his blood, and it only made him more excited to embark again.

"I'm releived that our last mission went well, but we do need revenue this time. I suppose that's where you come in. Would you mind refreshing me on our selling points before the clients arrive? I've been focusing on defense enough that I don't have the diplomatics prepared just yet."

Sando was the business genius, Haikan was the charisma. Together they made an excellent team for the company, and the company probably would not survive without Sando's mind at work.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Pulling his eyes from the light show in the distance, Sando peered once more to the sky above in search of rain. Apparently satisfied, the entrepreneur returned to his spot under the tree and retrieved some of his scribblings.

Clearing his throat importantly, he replied, "Firstly we must make the point that our services will be both personal and of the lower costing than portal transportation. Secondly, we will offer additional insurance plans which will be our promising of safe delivery or re-compensation for losses of time and goods."

Sando paused for a second, once again unsure of his words and attempting to make sure that he was being clear enough for Haikan to follow him. "Our final cash crop will being our willingness to allow clients to become client-owners throughs the investoring program."

Of course there is more to it than that... but these are the bullet points that are most-likely to bring in new business for us, Sando mused while waiting expectantly for Haikan's questions. It was a re-cap, yes... But the adhiel did not have a mind for economic warfare. His specialty was the art of true war and leadership.

Thinking quickly and instinctively back to the rain and the cycle of night and day- Sandy was reminded of the teachings of the Mother. Perhaps it was too late to plant the seed when they had tried to begin the previous caravan. But this is a new season. And this year's 'crop' will depend on Her good and holy judgment. I am forever in awe of your majestic beauty, Wise One, the halfling muttered nearly out loud.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Firstly we must make the point that our services will be both personal and of the lower costing than portal transportation. Secondly, we will offer additional insurance plans which will be our promising of safe delivery or re-compensation for losses of time and goods."

Haikan nodded his head upon each point recap. He couldn't help but notice that Sando's linguistic skills were improving. If Sando were paying attention, he might notice Haikan muttering the second point to himself, apparently memorizing it. It was true that he did not have an economic mind. He did however, have to convince the potential patrons that he did, so he intended to be ready.

"Our final cash crop will being our willingness to allow clients to become client-owners throughs the investoring program."

"Right, and that -if I recall correctly- has the two options of being a standard investor, and a passenger..." He wasn't sure if he remembered the investors' options correctly, but he was pleased with himself that he remembered something, for his mind had been crowded with training and talk of leadership while Sando had focused on diligently archiving the prices and rules of their company.

He wished he could know everything about the company, but that is not possible yet, and is why there are the two branches: Security, and Service. Despite his charisma and talent for speaking with people, Haikan was the focused mind behind Security, while Matiel and Sando were in charge of the Service. In this situation, as a figurehead, Haikan is to encourage the customers, and do what Sando tells him. It is not until later, with the soldiers or on the road, that Haikan's authority will have importance.

"Alright, Sando. I think that I will give the initial presentation using the advertising methods you've mentioned. At the end of the presentation, I shall have a question rally, where any questions that will be asked of us, we can freely discuss between each other before replying. Is there anything else that I need to remember?"
Last edited by Haikan on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

"Yes, passengers, yes... of course. What with beings and armed group traveling from places to places we might as well bring peoples along with us for a fee, correct?"

Sando had a small smile creeping up the side of his mouth as he spoke. The halfling was a very generous sort and cared much for what he believed in... but every good businessman at heart is the same thing: Someone who loves money and embraces that fact. Or, as in the case of Sando Haymaker, they may have simply learned to live with the affliction.

Old man Haymaker wrote:Own the banner, son. Don't allow the banner to own you.

How many times he had endured that speech, Sando was not sure. He was sure, however, of the effect that this part of his up-bringing had on his world view.

Haikan wrote:..Is there anything else that I need to remember?

The halfling plopped himself back down at the foot of the thick trunk and crossed his arms about his small figure pensively. "I think perhaps you needs to remembering to drag Master Matiel out of the Laughing King a little earlier next times we have an importants meeting in the early tide."

Sando meant the kick in the shin to the absent senior partner in a truly lighthearted way. He was, however, curious as to the whereabouts of the strange man who could be credited with breathing the initial life into this operation. Smiling momentarily towards the adhiel before him, Sando produced his old pipe from his pocket and began packing the bowl with dried tobacco which had been pinched from his father's supply. It was of a special home-grown heirloom Brie variety. Incredibly robust, yet smooth in flavor. He began to dig for his flint deep within his pack, his mouth salivating slightly at the thought of the herbal scent that was about to hit is nose. He adored the nostalgic feeling.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The halfling's tongue-in-cheek stab at Matiel went unnoticed as a mocking remark to Haikan. He merely took it as an observation of Matiel's tardiness. "Come to think of it, I don't recall hearing from him as to why he wouldn't be here..." The elf scratched his hairless chin and thought about his speech to come. I don't suppose we need Matiel, or Mikail here. It would still be nice for them to show up. I hope they do.

His fingers itched to play his lute, but Captain's don't play the lute, they lead men. He wished so badly to sing, but song should be saved for a minstrel, Haikan had to be a leader, and he was going to do it right.

His mind wandered a bit, but when he returned to thinking of the caravan and the task at hand, he had just a couple more questions. "The clients should be arriving soon, are we sure that we are ready? Have you a map we could show them of our routes, just in case they ask? Remember that we need to use the new ones I mapped out that include Pax in our journey."
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

A grinding noise and then a very small "pop!" indicated the fact that Sando has successfully lit the small bundle of vegetable matter. The halfling let the bowl warm for a moment and then blew out the flame, listening to Haikan's inquiry.

"Our maps? Share them? Do not forget, Master Haikan, that we are being a an exploration company just as much as we are... What is the word? Courtiers?" Sando did not realize his embarrassing vocabulary slip and as such, he continued without a so much as a breath, "As transporters, our maps are as importants as our oxen, friend. Would a locksmith loan out his practice locks to his prospective clients? No... no sir. I have the maps, but I would advise that we keeping them to ourselves."

Even the small-town farm boy knew to keep what was his out of the hands of strangers.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Well, yes of course we don't want to share it. I merely meant to have something to point to... I suppose you're right though, Sando... Perhaps I'm overthinking this. Truth betold, I'm much more confident speaking in front of my men than in general public, so I'm a bit nervous."

His hands betrayed his fearless appearance by sweating, and when he was about to wipe them on his leggings as he normally would, he caught himself and wiped them on a handkerchieft that he pulled out of his coat instead. Things would be much more comfortable later, during the tactical training and strategy development gathering later this morningtide.

"Once I get started, I'll be fine, I know it. I just really hope I don't make any mistakes... Being a Captain is so much pressure, I hope that I can deliver..." Despite his confession, his face remained bravely chiseled in the upmost serious fashion. Professional. That's all he wanted for himself. Professional and respectable. He felt like a curious child inside, but he donned the role of a Captain nonetheless, and he's obligated to fulfill his duty to the maximum of his ability. He may have been nervous, but he calmed himself down by lessening the pressure within himself.

He does not need to show off, or prove his greatness to the customers, he just needs to prove he is capable of serving their needs. As long as he knows that he is brave and honest, he is. This presentation was about the company, not himself.

If he were to be a hero, he would have to prove it to himself, before anyone else. The words of his human foster father echoed in his mind. 'I know that you can succeed in whatever you do, Haikan. With success however comes corruption for glory. When you do find success, please remember above all else that It is more important to be respectable, than to be respected...'

His brow curved upward in a sad expression for a moment, and he closed his eyes to collect his thoughts. I will not forget, father...

After several flickers retreated into thought, he opens his eyes and he furrows his brow, with a smile of confidence that glowed brighter than before.

He looked up at the sky. The clouds blanketed the heavens, but it didn't dampen his spirit at all. With fire in his heart, he felt stronger than ever before. "Sando, I'm ready for this."
Last edited by Haikan on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Wispy zags of smoke fluttered through the morning breeze on their way out of the halfling's mouth. He was now seated cross-legged.

Listening to the leader's reply, Sandy answered with a knowing smile and an encouraging nod.

Having had already re-packed his notes and maps and such, Sando enjoyed the aromatics in his throat. That particular pipe smoke always reminded him of home so much that is nearly gave him physical pain. It was in his nature to be close with his kin. While business events in Brie had taken him close to his family once or twice, he wished greatly that he could join the great summer feast... the meal of kingly proportions which was prepared annually in reverence to the passing of summer and the onset of the cooler months. He did not imagine that he would be able to attend this yahren. It would be the first time since his birth that he did not taste his mother's rabbit stew on such an occasion.

Sando waited beneath the great, green tree. He was enjoying the particulars of Mother Nature's work in the unfolding morning. Birds came to life... insects began to roar. Two small eyes kept a vigilant watch on the crossroads, searching out any travelers headed to the city or towards their location.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

As Haikan and Sando talk, they become aware of a distant singing. Turning they see a small brightly colored carriage approaching. There are two horsemen riding to either side. The occupant of the carriage seems to be dressed in a variety of bright green colors. It is obvious that the occupant of the carriage has seen them and is heading straight for them with the two horsemen following. As the carriage gets closer, they can stat to make out the words of the song. Something about a young man looking for a ugly middle aged prostitute because of some unusual tricks she can perform.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

I think I've heard this song before... The adhiel had been to many places and met many people in his life, and he had the impression he'd heard this tune sung once before. Normally he would attempt to sing along, but he was to be a captain now, so he would have to resist the temptation. He took two steps forward and planted his feet, standing perfectly upright and offered a heroic salute. As his hand dropped to his side he verbally approached the man/woman in the cart.

"Hello there, I am Captain Verida." He paused. It may seem he paused to let the name sink in, but in actuality, this was the first time he used the name of his adhiel father. It felt odd, and he still knew Joshua as his dad. Still, the respected adhiel name was much more likely to be recognized than Gray, seeing as Haikan had never used his last name on his past journeys.

"Do you have business of trade with our company this morning? We can also grant safe passage through dangerous terrain. If you are here for business, I could go on." He paused again. He wanted badly to look back at Sando to 'see how he was doing,' but he had to be completely confident in himself, or else the potential client might not be.
Last edited by Haikan on Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Sando watched the approaching cart with some interest. The tune was unfamiliar to the halfling, but it was of a bawdy nature. The type of shanty one would hear aboard a ship crossing great spans of glassy ocean or the type of mumbled incoherency you one could hear at any corner pub on a any of the less work-intensive days of the week.

The halfling smiled while taking one last large draw from his pipe before the herbs crumbled down fully into ash. He had been observing the formality of the senior partner before him. He enjoyed seeing this serious side of Haikan, but he wondered if the adhiel was taking it too far.

Scrambling to his feet once more, Sando did something that only a little person could pull off without appearing rude.
"Now now now, excuse me Mr. --- Sir," he spoke towards the Captain. "Shall we not greets warmly and then worries about our formalisms later?"

With a wink to the newly-approached person, but still speaking to Haikan, Sando continued, "If our guest is truly here to speaks of business, they will lets us know." He completed his sentence by offering his name and a bow to the rider.

As he bowed, he whispered quickly and in hushed tones to his superior, "With all respects, Master Haikan: The peoples of the Downs are a simple folk, much liking my kin. Fancy clothes and salutes could very well turn them offs." Thinking for a moment, the halfling paused while raising from his introductory bow to the guest. He took a step back, offering center stage back to Haikan and retreating to a more comfortable place at the leader's side.
Last edited by Sando Haymaker on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

Matiel did not want to be roused so early in the day. True, he may have slept early the night before, but it has been weeks since he had that luxury. He did not like being stunted of that luxury.

Matiel trudged onward beyond the Vigilant Gates until he caught sight of his partners. There he found them, greeting a singing man who hid inside his carriage. Matiel didn't want to appear out of no where, disrupting a possible discussion on business. He also did not want to skip a chance to see every person who showed interest on their ideas. He had expected quite a good number of investors and clients to come here after their successful virgin trip. He wanted to know all of them again. He wanted to make sure that he knew everything that he could possibly know.

His left hand itched. The bandage and wound there was still raw. He tried to hide it with a glove, and was thankful he wore gloves. Still, the feeling of having lost something that has been his for twenty years was...

Had Matiel the chance and power to, he would take back his finger and more.

Matiel stood there, a blurred distance away from the little gathering of his partners. He would near them when the people were many and his intrusion would be unnoticeable. Besides, Haikan and Sando, were better at dealing with people than he was.

Matiel faced the gates he just passed to see if Mathias was promptly following. He'd instructed the boy to carry his papers. He had an appointment this coming tradetide, and had instructed the young man to accompany the others and take note of the proceedings. He hoped three months of schooling the boy would be enough for that.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

The man, for indeed it was a man, looks over the pair, and glances at the approaching figure of Matiel, waiting several flickers till he arrives.

Taking his hat off with a flourish, the man steps form the carriage. “Now, now, nothing so formal. I am Calron Prendor, Esquire. I represent several clients who would like to transport a fair amount of goods. Can I assume I am in the correct location and meeting with the correct people?”
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Yes! You are in the right place indeed." He eased his stance a bit, to match the level of formality that his company held. He let his face relax and he smiled. Good grief, I don't think I could have held that serious expression much longer.

"Calron Prendor, allow me to introduce you to my associates." He looked behind him, noticing the now rather close Matiel, and he extended his arm to point toward Sando.

"This is Sando Haymaker, of the Brie Haymakers. He is the leading mind for finances and business efficiency. Any prime questions regarding prices, investments and miscellaneous patron queries should be saved for him." He moved his hand toward Matiel and continued. "This is Matiel Escariot, he is the co-captain, head scribe, and recordkeeper of the company." He finally returned his attention to Calron and he put his hand to his chest.

"And you know my name is Haikan. I'm the navigator, and the man in charge of protecting your goods and patrons."

"Shall we get down to business?"
Last edited by Haikan on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

"Welcome, Matiel!" The halfling spoke out to the senior partner as he came near, attempting to pull him into the conversation which was about to take place.

Sando continued to stand at Haikan's elbow, in a supporting manner while he and the man in the carriage spoke. When introduced, he bowed slightly and smiled a large but shaky smile. They had obviously met with clients in the past. But this was different for some reason. It all seemed so much more real now that they actually had the ability to turn a profit. Every step was critical.

Watching Haikan adjust his composure to match that of their new guest, Sando was impressed. Although he did not speak the language well enough to captivate humans the way he could sway the mind of his own kin, he still knew the basic rules of the game. Body language is a tricky beast indeed, and it looked like the adhiel captain was making the right choices.

The halfling looked back to the other men present. The two riders. He attempted to get a feeling of their nature. Body guards? Workers? Sando was unsure as of yet. He also inspected the decorations of the carriage. This man was obviously a person of some level of importance.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Yes, let's do," he said with an expressive grin that spoke volumes about his level of non-formality what with it's toothy enthusiasm. Cal wasn't much about the norm, and that was what his clients appreciated about him. He found interesting investments for their money - for people who had enough money to be looking for places outside of the regular places.

"You seem to have quite the operation going on here," he continued and walked away from the excessively oppulent carriage. His men stayed behind as he lifted a hand and motioned toward the view around them. "And I see I'm the first to arrive - now doesn't that just bode well for me and mine?" There had been incentives offered for the early birds, and Calron had every intention on catching this worm if it was a good one.

There was no seating available, thankfully Cal preferred to stand. "So what is your plan, boys? Where are you travelling to and from and what sort of timeline can we expect on goods and their route?" They were preliminary questions.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"I'm glad you asked. First we will be carrying the goods to Brie, which is just over a day's journey away." An equally charismatic grin matched that of Cal as the tone of the meeting was set.

"Once we reach there we spend a day unloading and receiving goods. The items most sought by the estate include tools, metal crafts and woodwork, clothes and food. After our business is finished there, we pack up to travel to Pax Balthasar. Most of what we'll receive from Brie is grain and other crops, which are in high demand in Pax at the moment." He looked at Sando needfully, as most of the business was of Sando's expertise.

"The route to Pax will take a couple of days, but we'll be following the shoreline for most of the trip. The dangerous terrain closer to the haven of Pax will be in the hands of myself and my guard. We'll drop off the necessities for Pax and we'll pick up weapons, more tools, armor and other commodities there. The return will stop off at Brie once again, dropping off said weapons and tools and once again picking up crops and heading back. The entire trip will probably take between a week and a week and a half, securing four complete trades and satisfying many clients." He smiled again, and he gestured for Matiel to join them.

"Any questions?"
Last edited by Haikan on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sando Haymaker
Civus

Post by Sando Haymaker »

Sando remained silent and gave Haikan only an encouraging nod when he felt it appropriate. Inside his little halfling mind, gears were churning. Thinking still upon the lavishly-decorated vehicle in which the man had ridden in on.

What manner of people are these? Obviously not farmers or millers. If the carriage is any manner by which to judge the man, he is incredibly well-to-do. I should think nobility or something near it. This could either be a major opportunity come knocking else it could all go horribly wrong. People with that much banner come in two flavors; either they are of the generous sort, or they are incredibly miserly. Even so, all of them know that they won't maintain their mountain of coin without clutching on to it at least some of the time.

The pensive Sandy looked on and watched the conversation shaping up before him... all the while keeping a weary eye on the horsemen.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Calron's hands interlocked behind his back as Haikan spelled out answers for his initial queries. "Fantastic, sounds wonderful. And getting to Brie itself, how do you intend on crossing the river?" He asked.

"What sort of protection do you have for this caravan? Do you have armorments of some kind - how many men do you intend on bringing?" Calron paused a moment. "Actually, I've a list of a few other questions here, if you don't mind me arrowing them off," he said while reaching amidst a pocket on his fine vest until procurring a bound booklet which he leafed through. "Ah-ha! There we are... Now... yes... to/from, armorments.. hmmnanana,"

"Yes, what are the dimensions of your caravans? How much weight can they carry? Will you be charging based on weight, space or a combination of the two? Will you need to know the contents of cases you're moving? How often do you intend on making this round trip?" His alert blue eyes lifted from the parchment. "Let's address those first before continuing."

Sando, for his attention to detail, could see that the horsemen were of heavy build. They were strong men, muscled and able-bodied, though not wearing any kind of armor. Whether they were body-guards for the peculiarly dressed gentleman remained to be seen, and was unluckly to be discussed as they weren't introduced. They did seem rather uninterested in the discussion. If they were supposed to be watching Calron they weren't doing a good job of it.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Well we aren't going anywhere that requires crossing a river that has no bridge..." Haikan gave Calron a strange look. The river seperating them from DragonsKeep was wide indeed, but the narrow river between King's Court and Brie did not present a tribulation to them. There were more than one bridges to cross to Brie. "We have thirty guards, that are in two factions of day and night shifts, each shift having three squads of five- crossbow, sword, and spear wielders respectively." He tapped his hairless chin and thought a bit more. "I am the captain of the guard, and the navigator. Your other questions will have to be referred to young Sando, here."

Return to “KC Archive”