Watching the ships come in (Jygust 30, late TT, Main Harbor)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Jacob Rimon
Civus

Watching the ships come in (Jygust 30, late TT, Main Harbor)

Post by Jacob Rimon »

As he hurried through the streets and away from the city gates, Jacob could almost feel the guard's eyes on him, even though he was close to the harbor by now. He could smell a trouble-maker from a mile away could he? Okay, okay, so he had been in a fight, and he hadn't been exactly truthful with the guard about it. And maybe that's what he could pick up on, the fact that he'd been a little liberal with the truth. It was just all a little bit embarrassing. He couldn't actually remember the details about the previous night, and he didn't want to explain how he'd had a drunken fight with his half-sister's husband because... well... it just sounded like he was some sort of country bumpkin. Or maybe the village idiot, picked upon by friends and family.

Jacob glowered briefly at someone crossing his path a little too slowly. The man quickly moved out of the way, a look of concern flickering across his face.

Jacob was pretty sure that Keller thought he was something of a village idiot too. Too busy thinking about the big world out there, not spending enough time concentrating on the real world right here. Wasting all this time visiting the harbor to get the same lack of news, spending what little money he had on a few drinks with that handful of friends down by the dock-side.

Jacob's march took him across another street, scattering the pigeons that had just settled there to peck at some crumbs. An old woman, her hair tucked into a head scarf, and her granddaughter, clutching half of a small loaf, watched the birds wing away. Their faces fell.

And, okay, mentioning the harbor might not have been the best thing to do. Sure, it was true, but it wasn't really the sort of place a nice young man should be visiting. Jacob began to slow down a bit as he considered that it probably wasn't the wisest thing he could do with his time. It probably wasn't a good idea to walk onto the dock all het up and distracted either. He might not be a trouble-maker, but he didn't have to prove it by making himself an easy mark for some-one who was. He slowed down some more, and allowed himself a smile.

He reached the harbor a little later in the day than he usually would have, and scanned the area for any familiar faces.

The docks of King's Court main harbor at the Mer de la Luna were a busy place. The capital was one of the major ports in the Western trade routes because this was the seat of government that nobody dared ignore. Cargo filled the warehouses with luxury goods and there was a constant stream of passengers arriving and departing. Ships of all types frequented the port and tied to the docks, representing many of the countries of Tazlure. There was even the occasional airship from World's Mouth checking in.

After dark the docks were not a healthy place to be with a certain criminal influence ruling the streets. Smugglers and thieves usually managed to stay out of the hands of the Vanguard, who gladly looked the other way as the boys and girls they shared their childhood with ran amok. Sailors tended to be rowdy and rough talking too, so it was a tawdry place full of life and arguments as space was at a premium. Along the water's edge many warehouses are jammed next to each other with only very small tight alleys between them. Rats were frequent of course and the place smelled of fish, lamp oil and stale, rotting water.

The Harbor Office was prominently labeled. That is were all ships are officially registered, duties and taxes are paid, lists of available sailors are displayed, the shipping schedules, etc.

The battles and trials of Kings Court even reached this waterfront. Some of the buildings were recently damaged by fire, their walls crumbling. But despite these dismal surroundings trade was picking up again, the coronation of the King inspiring new hope.

Any new arrival disembarking from a ship must report to the Harbor Office before they are allowed to proceed into the city.

Jacob looked up at one of the ships that had recently docked, and was still offloading various barrels. The figure head seemed to be carved into the shape of some sort of dragon. The name plate said The Wyvern.

It was not a name Jacob recognized.

Jacob looked up at the figure head again, wondering what exotic waters it had flown over as it led the ship towards distant ports. Then he turned his own head towards the Harbor Office. Although he knew the list of available sailors might let him know who was in port today, it looked pretty busy. He scanned around the docks one more time, as he slowly made his way to where some of the older sailors would sit and play cards.
Last edited by Jacob Rimon on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irregular posting, busy with RL commitments! Sorry![url=http://www.allavatars.com/avatars/showphoto.php?photo=204&size=big&password=0&sort=1&cat=500]Avatar Source[/url]
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

A pleasant breeze was coming off of the water and the sounds of busy men and hungry gulls filled Jacob's ears.

Out on a failing pier on the edge of the docks, many of the harbor people would gather. This particular wooden structure had fallen to the same fate that many of the surrounding buildings fell to during the most-recent siege of the capital. Fire had jumped eagerly from a nearby storehouse and out on to freshly-unloaded goods on the pier, sparking a conflagration which burnt most of that entire section of the harbor it into uselessness as far as shipping was concerned. The cost to repair the pier would have been great and it was originally small for the harbor anyway. As such, the area had been re-purposed as an extension of the boardwalk. It had been mostly claimed by sailors and local kids who spent large portions of their days fishing, gambling, or merely waiting away the marks as they watched the ships move in and out of the working end of the harbor. The workers were busy today. More so than usual. Jacob checked the most common hang-out for the old card players to no avail.

"Cob!" came a delighted exclamation from behind.

The lanky frame of Renny, one of Jacob's city friends, stood as he shouted for his dock buddy. He had been seated on a barrel next to a cart which was owned by an old salt who sold bait fish. The man always had a special place in his heart for wharf rats and as such, he made sure to keep some spare bait around for those of them who enjoyed testing their luck with their lines out in the harbor. Renny had been untangling a mess in his homemade wooden tackle box when he saw Jacob's approach.

"How are ya? I was just about to throw a line in, you wanna join?" As the boy spoke, he waved his fishing pole in an demonstrative manner, performing a mock cast. "I brought my extra pole!"
~AbboTT
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

Jacob smiled. "Renny!" He moved closer to give his friend a hug, taking care not to get tangled up in the process. Then taking a step back he nodded. "Yeah, sure, I'll give it a go. I've got a few marks to spare. I don't think I'll be expected back home til late."

As he set about helping his friend untangle the contents of his tackle box, he apologized. "I wish I'd known what you were planning; I'd have tried to get here earlier, before all the sailors and tradesmen arrived. I might have got here a little earlier this Tradestide too if I hadn't run into a little trouble with one of the guards at the gate."

He indicated the bump on his head, then seeing Renny's jaw drop he quickly added "Oh, no, the guard didn't do this. It was my sister's new husband, Keller. We had a bit of a disagreement about, ah... about how my life seems to be lacking any sort of direction, and his life isn't..."

Jacob paused, then admitted what he could tell Renny was thinking. "And, okay, there was alcohol involved. I mean, we were sort of celebrating to start off with, now that we're family, and it was one a bottle of homemade cider that he and Alita got given... maybe more than one..." Jacob was half smiling himself, then shrugged. "I forget the details," he laughed.

Pausing a moment to smooth out a brightly coloured feather on one of the hooks, he remembered the bird at the gate. "Yeah, and then this guard catches sight of it and tells me he can smell a trouble-maker. I mean," Jacob shrugged dramatically, watching not to stab anyone with the hook, "what's trouble smell like anyhow?" He sniffed the air. "I mean, all I can smell is that bait over there..."

For a moment he imagined himself as a piece of bait on a hook. As a metaphor for his life, hanging on the end of a line, waiting for something to happen, it wasn't particularly inspiring, especially considering the something that usually happened to bait on a hook. The movement of someone rushing past him stirred him from his momentary day dream.

"It's... ah..." Jacob glanced around. "It's busy round here today. Is something going on in King's Court?"
Last edited by Jacob Rimon on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irregular posting, busy with RL commitments! Sorry![url=http://www.allavatars.com/avatars/showphoto.php?photo=204&size=big&password=0&sort=1&cat=500]Avatar Source[/url]
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

Renny's goofy crooked-toothed smile was all the response Jacob could wiggle out of the boy with his story concerning the previous night's events. The freckled fisherman was all too familiar with alcohol-induced scuffles himself. Offering his extra pole to his newly-arrived comrade, Renny replied, "Yeah. Something must be happening. I haven't been down here in the past couple days, but supposedly some interesting ships have been seen in and out of the harbor."

The boy affixed a small minnow-like bait fish to his hook and leisurely let it down into the water off the side of the pier before he sat down and dangled his feet above the sparkling water.

He continued, "The dock-hands are up and moving about... running here and there. I've been keeping an ear open, but I haven't heard much detail yet. They're saying they brought in some pirates. Dragged 'em straight out of the Mer they did. Serious offenders apparently. They're on trial to be hung--- well that's the word on the docks at least."

The apprehension of a few pirates was not a hugely notable event around the capital city. Thieves must be brought to justice, after all. But that didn't explain the increased activity around the harbor.

A two-masted merchantman was slowly creeping it's way over the horizon and towards the capital's harbor. Jacob recognized the ship as one of the regulars. He did not know her name off-hand, but she was a fleet workhorse out of World's Mouth finishing up one of many trips across the Mer de la Lune.

Renny teased his hook in the water slowly, taunting any hungry fish that may be near.
~AbboTT
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

"Pirates, hey?" Jacob mused, thinking of ships in battle on the surface of the Mer, scurvy knaves swinging aboard merchant ships with knives in their teeth and a flash in their eyes. Then he mentally amended the image to what he knew to be a truer picture, dirty little lank haired thugs, clambering stealthily onto merchant ships by night, slitting the throats and knifing the backs of whatever poor soul was on watch that night.

Jacob noticed the ship on the horizon and squinted, as if he might somehow see it clearer. "Anyone vaguely notorious?" asked Jacob, eyes still fastened on the approaching ship, letting his own bait dangle into the water listlessly. He'd heard lots of stories about pirates that plagued the trade routes, grand pirates with iconic names and reputations to match, but those he saw being yanked along on chains on their way to receive their due in King's Court always seemed to be ill-tempered little men, cursin' and swearin' and lacking any sort of charm that might make their hanging an event worth watching.

Jacob almost missed Renny's reply, so focussed on the approaching World's Mouth ship. A fancy ship with, no doubt, a fancy captain at the wheel. The sort of thing he always used to dream pirates were like when he listened to his father's stories of treasure and daring adventure. Still staring out to sea, Jacob muttered "Hmmmm?"
Last edited by Jacob Rimon on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

"Nah- No big names. You know how they like to boast about capturing those sort. Supposedly one of 'em is a local, though. Now that's news, eh? To think... Someone from around here, the capital of the kingdom, sailing the seas and ransacking the merchant fleet of Dominicus."

Renny spoke with excitement as he impatiently brought his line back out of the water and checked his bait before casting it off once more into the depths. He was not the sedentary type. As a result, he was also not the best angler on the Mer.

Noticing and likely expecting Jacob's lack of attention, Renny repeated the details without malice. Once he was through, another speaker chimed in melodically;

"She's called the Attica, the ship they were chasing."

The light soprano tone came from a nearby figure. Also sitting on the docks, they too were enjoying the view of the harbor. Apparently the stranger had been listening to the boys' conversation.

"Attica" was a name Jacob recognized. It was a fast ship. Not so much a legend to his knowledge, but manned by one of the very few crews who dared come in close and tight to the capital city for raiding. The Navy had a hell of a time catching her. Only purpose-built privateers could out-sail her reliably and there were only a handful stationed locally.

A very light nudge could be felt trembling up through Jacob's line.
Last edited by Abbott on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
~AbboTT
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

Jacob half turned at the stranger's voice, enough to make eye contact.

"The Attica, huh?" He tugged slightly back at his line, then nodded to the stranger thoughtfully as he recalled what he knew about the ship. He made no introductions, treating the stranger as just one of the friendly locals, someone to exchange gossip and rumour with.

"And a local man, you say?" he said to Renny. He mulled the two points over in his head, then suggested "That makes sense, that they had some local knowledge on board. I wonder what would turn a man of King's Court to piracy?"

The lure of the open waters, Jacob thought, the freedom of living beyond the rules of society... These thoughts were antithetical to the higher classes that presides over King's Court, and best not voiced in public, but a man of Jacob's standing could saw the attraction in becoming the master of your own destiny...

He smiled at Renny, then at the stranger behind them, then returned his attention to the approaching boat ahead. "When's the hanging due to take place?" It was a when rather than an if; pirate's who came to justice in King's Court rarely walked free. The hanging of a local boy was sure to draw a big crowd.
Last edited by Jacob Rimon on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

Jacob's brief inspection of the speaker revealed him to be a very young boy- probably not a yahren over ten by the carpenter's eye. If he hadn't known better, he would have thought the child to be a younger Renny. His tangled red hair was a little longer than his friend's, but just as dirty. While he was not smiling at the moment, there was a distinct impression of crooked, silly teeth jumbled behind those chapped lips.

"The hanging is bright and early on the morningtide, mister. Sinner's Square on the fifth mark."

The child looked back towards land as he spoke the words. A nervous frown crossed his face. With that, he stood and ran off down the pier.

"Looks like we have company, Cob." Renny's voice was more curious than nervous.

The dull maroon jerkins of the Western Kingdom's naval forces could be spotted cutting through the crowd at the foot of the dock. A large group of marines were halting the rushing dock workers. Another, smaller group was making its way up the rickety pier. Four or five soldiers began to approach the kind old bait-man, barking some order or another.
Last edited by Abbott on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
~AbboTT
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

Jacob was curious. A little voice at the back of his head reminded him of his trouble earlier at Vigelent Gate, and that he might quickly find himself in another such situation here, but there was no way he could get away now without drawing attention to himself.

I wonder if that's why that kid ran away so fast...

Turning to Renny, he tugged at his hair. "Is there any way I can hide this bump? Anything I can wrap around like a head band? Or maybe something I can wet my hair down with, so it lies flat?" He took a quick glance back at the marines, to see if he could work out what was up, then back again to his friend.

He guessed that Renny probably found his discomfort amusing, but Jacob wasn't really in the mood. Not with his lingering hangover and the warning of the gruff guardsman. Even as Renny responded the carpenter was half-focusing on the voices of the marines as they addressed the old sea dog.
Last edited by Jacob Rimon on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

The easy-going fisherman did in fact take Jacob's concerns seriously. He had listened to the young man's story about the happenings at the gate without much concern... but he also knew that the last thing they needed was the oppressive eyes of some naval officer staring them down and being caught on the nasty reminder of a rough evening.

Thinking quickly, Renny tore off a small strip of the bottom of his loosely fitting rags which had hardly of passed as a shirt in the first place and offered it to Jacob as a headband or a hair tie of some sort.

The soldier's voice was icy and businesslike. "Now listen here, codger. The harbor is being closed on the eveningtide. I have orders to start clearing the docks now. Are you going to comply or will we have to move you ourselves?"

The old man appeared to be confused as if he did not fully understand what was happening. He knew his cart and he knew the people around him. Even in all his long yahren the sailor of days past could not recall a time during which the harbor of King's Court had been shut down completely. "Harbor... closed?" he replied confoundedly. But he did not move. Eight eyes belonging to four marines bore holes straight into the older man. It could be clearly seen that they were not in the mood for holding the salt's hand through a lengthy explanation.

"Let's get outta of here, Cob," Ren muttered as he pulled his line out of the water. "I think we should leave." The lanky boy had a strange scared look on his face now. His eyebrows came together above his nose in sort of a crest, indicating his concern. "I don't care what's going on... I just don't want any trouble."

Renny began to hurriedly pack up his belongings.
~AbboTT
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

Jacob secured the head-band with a tight knot and shrugged. "Sure," he agreed, "it's not like we were catching anything anyhow." He'd trapped his rod between his legs whilst he'd made sure the head-band was comfortable, and now hoisted it up, using it as support as he climbed to his feet.

He glanced over at the marines, so as to not look as if he was deliberately avoiding their attention, and then walked past them, following Renny closely, continuing to remain wary of the swinging fishing tackle. As they left the pier behind them, he quizzed his friend. "Where should we go? Do you want to drop this stuff off somewhere and maybe go for a quick drink somewhere? I've got a little money. You never know, we might hear a little more about this guy who's swinging by the neck in the morning."

Jacob took a quick glance back, to see whether the old man was still having trouble with the marines. On the pier beyond him he thought he could still see the young boy who'd mentioned the ship the pirate had been on, and wondered what had happened to it, now that its crew had been detained.
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

"Yeah that sounds okay. The Den is close and they've always got something cheap on tap that they're tryn' to get rid of." Renny's words trailed off as the duo took a moment to look back towards the dock. The gruff orders had elevated to frustrated barks and the brown-red clad men were closing in on the old man's bait cart. The cart itself was of similar design to a wheelbarrow in that it had two wheels and long handles on the opposite end. The bait shop had been chocked with two large wooden blocks to prevent it from rolling. As Jacob watched, one of the marines kicked out the wedges and began to push the whole cart towards the edge of the pier. Even from a distance it was clear that the man had every intention of sending it to the bottom of the harbor should the bait-man fail to comply with orders.

"Do you think he's really gonna do it, Cob? Oh please... By the One's will! What is going on?" Renny's impassioned cries were directed to nobody in particular. "We can stand and gawk, or we can make our way out of here before we end up like Surry over there," he said while gesturing towards the withered man for emphasis.

A brilliant white fluff could be seen as the large merchantman who had previously been making her approach furled her main sails and began to drift in the water, appearing to prepare to anchor before she'd completed her docking navigation. A signal flag climbed up the tallest mast with great speed as it was yanked into place.
~AbboTT
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

Jacob hesitated, biting his lip. After the events at Vigelent Gate he didn't like to see someone else getting harassed, least of all an old man like Surry.

"You go, if you like, and I'll catch up to you in a bit. I'll see if I can talk some sense into Surry before they chuck all his bait away." Renny looked soubtful, concerned, but Jacob gave a half-smile and turned back towards the marines.

"Sir?" Jacob called out, hoping to determine which of the marines had seniority, and to prevent the old man's bait being tipped into the harbor. "Sir, can I help? I know this man, I might be able to help clarify the situation for him without... well, without you tipping his livelihood into the Mer. I mean it would spare your time too if you spared his cart. I'll see that we make ourselves scarce, leaving you free to continue dealing with the remainder of the people."

Jacob tried to put on his best smile, and reached out an arm to put around the old man, hoping he wouldn't resist.
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

"Don't do anything stupid, Jacob." Renny's face crinkled into a concerned frown. Renny began to slowly pace away, realizing that his free choice of coming or going was no longer his as he was directed out of the harbor by nearby marines.

As Jacob made his approach, one of the soldiers stepped forward to intercept the young man. He was tall and of a medium to slim build. The hilt of his weapon gleaming in the sunlight from its position tucked securely into his scabbard was an indication of his station on board his ship. His hat was another clue. The marines all wore short-brimmed felt caps which matched their uniforms in hue. This man, however wore the same headpiece but in a gleaming white in color. It also sported a small silver embellishment on the side- the crest of the Western Kingdom Navy. He was a non-commissioned officer; a senior enlisted man.

Cobby wrote:"Sir, can I help? I know this man, I might be able to help clarify the situation for him without... well, without you tipping his livelihood into the Mer. I mean it would spare your time too if you spared his cart. I'll see that we make ourselves scarce, leaving you free to continue dealing with the remainder of the people."

The sailor sighed at the request, but appeared even more exasperated at the idea of dealing with the man himself. He motioned towards the marine who was taunting Surry with his bait cart who then returned it to a safer position on the dock. The white-capped fellow turned towards Jacob and spoke, "You've got three burns or we are doing this the hard way, understand? My orders are clear. Empty the docks and prepare to shut down the harbor."

As he offered to embrace the old salt, the carpenter noticed that Surry was trembling slightly. Be the cause old age or nerves, he could not ascertain. The man did not move in a compliant manner, yet neither did he move to escape the gesture.

He spoke with a voice that was aged by salt and harsh weather, "Wh-- what's happening, boy?"
Last edited by Abbott on Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~AbboTT
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

Jacob looked the old man in the eye. "I don't know, sir, but I recommend we move away now, as these men advise. At the moment they're threatening to throw your bait into the water. If we continue to remain here, despite their commands, we might lose a whole lot more."

The carpenter paused to let the words sink in, hoping they would, and then added a further incentive.

"Come, Surry, come and join me for a drink and something to eat. These men are doing their job - they have to clear the harbor. I'm sure we'll find out why soon enough, in good time. Have you got somewhere you can store your cart?"

Jacob smiled up at the senior officer, trying to show him that he was doing his best. To help encourage the old man he put his arm around his shoulder, ready to steer him in the right direction.
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

"Somewheres to store it, you say? What? Why would I need to store it?" Surry's blank visage was pointed down towards the creaky boards on which they stood, his eyes distant and unfocused even as he spoke. He was not comprehending the situation at hand. Be it old age or old ways, he simply couldn't fathom having to clear out. Surry lived on the docks. He was homeless. In the eveningtide he curled up behind a stack of ropes and made himself as comfortable as he possibly could. He lived off of fish and scraps. What little banner he did manage to earn from bait sales was spent on card games or otherwise pissed away.

Surry shuddered slightly as Jacob put his arm around him. The old man concluded, "I won't leave. I cannot leave." The bat man felt like a sack full of sawdust to Jacob's touch. He was light and weak. His scratchy and unseasonably warm gray woolen rags which he wore for a shirt were matted with fish oils and grime. "I have nowhere else to go, boy. You know as well as I that I can't afford no fancy food."

The head marine looked towards Jacob with an expecting glare and said only a pair of words, "Two burns."
~AbboTT
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

Jacob kept his eyes on the old man, ignoring the other man's comment.

"Well," he said, "It just so happens that I can. Fancy food and beer." Jacob knew his money wouldn't really stretch too far, but if he could tell a little white lie to keep the old man out of trouble he'd do it. And if that didn't work...

Jacob let things go quiet for a second, whilst he considered what he was doing. Theoretically he could escort the old man away himself, as he was old and frail, but the carpenter had occasionally seen homeless drunks, those whose minds weren't quite what they used to be after jahren of neglect, turn from calm and distant to angry, violence and unpredictable. Certainly, if Surry was going to remain docile Jacob would be able to get him somewhere where they might sit down, have something to eat and drink, maybe talk. But if he were to struggle then the carpenter would have to step away, leave the marines to it. If Surry did cross that line Jacob would have no hesitance in leaving him to his own devices. Leaving him with the knowledge that he'd had the offer of help and he'd thrown it back. Although how firmly he'd be able to grasp that knowledge was another thing entirely.

Besides which, Surry was dirty and not a little smelly with it. Jacob had no intentions of wrestling with the old man.

Jacob sighed, looking down towards the pier, looking but not really looking at anything. Heroic intentions and cold reality often didn't go hand in hand. If he'd been a true hero - a daring pirate captain, perhaps - he could've fought off these marines, and dozens like them, before disappearing into the shadows with a wry grin and allowed the old man his peace. If he were to try anything like that now there might well be another hanging next Morningtide.

Jacob broke from his thoughts, and asked "How long is the harbor out of bounds? And are there any other place we need to stear clear of in the meantime?" His eyes raised to meet those of the senior marine.
Last edited by Jacob Rimon on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Hey Jacob! Sorry for the delay. Providing a tie-over for Abbott until he returns to his regular schedule! If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

IC:

The older man didn't struggle against Jacob - atleast not yet, but his offensive odor did. He smelled of ocean water mixed with sewer and a touch of whiskey and dead fish. It was a fairly intoxicating aroma wafting out of his hair, clothes and perhaps even pouring from his skin. "I'm supposing I could use a good meal.. might be nice to get away from the salt for a bit," Surry commented, but he wasn't overly convinced.

One of the lesser marines chimed in with his own answer to Cob's quick question. "Until eveningtide of tomorrow," the sailor said. "And then we can open her up again - Admiral's orders from the Commander himself. So far as I know, they're closing the gates earlier than usual, too... and something about the palace being off-limits for anyone without a nethered good reason to be there."

"Alright, alright," the senior officer announced. "Enough of this question and answers bit. I said get... so go." His eyes burned toward Jacob and Surry.

The old fisherman was pliant to Jacob's movements, and shuffled along beside him upon making their way away from the marines, the harbor, and Surry's means of supporting himself. His bait tack was left there, but it was doubtful anyone would bother it. Many knew the oldtimer, and he wasn't the sort to make enemies. "So, where're we eating, son?" He asked Jacob as they walked toward the Southern portion of the Avenue of Trade.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Jacob Rimon
Civus

Post by Jacob Rimon »

"Well, I was going to head of the Dragon's Den," Jacob explained, leading Surry away. Though there's no guarantee I'll get in now, with Surry in tow. That smell's not going to get any better in close quarters. Still, I'm sure he usually gets his drinks somewhere...

The two figures left the harbor, the young one leading the old...

(OOC: I'll PM you with a quick question)
Last edited by Jacob Rimon on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Continued at the Dragon's Den.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

SKILLS:
NEW SKILL! Streetwise: basic

Return to “KC Archive”