ENTRANCE: The Vigilent Gates (Jygust 30th - LTT) [Closed]

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Abbott
Mod Trainee

ENTRANCE: The Vigilent Gates (Jygust 30th - LTT) [Closed]

Post by Abbott »

King's Court had most certainly seen war and it had taken its toll on the defences of the town. The South and West walls had suffered severe damage. However, new stones were now beginning to replace the makeshift wooden barriers that had been hastily erected to offer some protection to the city. The gates themselves, those Vigilant Gates of heavy oak proudly displaying the shield of arms of the king, were gone, replaced by rough cut wood from the fields surrounding Kings Court. Visitors had to pass through these main gates before they might enter the splendid city of Kings Court and experience everything the city has to offer. Several city guards were busy registering anyone who entered the capital, and offering information about the city and what might be found inside.

Cedric Grimes, a balding and portly fellow, stood near the entrance to the city, posing three questions to any who may approach. "Give me your name, your occupation or purpose for being in the city, and affirm that you worship our God, Dominicus. Three questions, three answers. It's as simple as that."

A town crier's voice could be heard echoing lightly against the buildings of the city and bouncing out through the gate. His message was hard to decipher from the distance, but it was clear that he was announcing a hanging.
~AbboTT
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

The sound of the guards voice carried over the surface of the flat ground allowing Petros to hear the guard speak his questions before he accually arived at the gate. To be coming home for it had been so long since Petros had walked through the city of Kings Court it had been since his father died. Petros exhaled and smiled revealing his crooked teeth as the memories came flowing back. Petros stood in front of the city gates his long hair falling into his eyes and his black robes draping around his body and holding his walking stick in his right hand. With one more look at the city Petros opened his mouth to answer the questions that had been directed at him. "Good day sir. My name is Petros, and I am a devout follower and lover of the One, and as for my occupation it is the same. I am an acolyte." After speaking Petros stood waiting for the gaurds reply.
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

A cool breeze could be felt, snaking its way through the assembled group at the gates. With it came scents of summer flying in from the Downs. The stingy smell of cut grasses, the rich aroma of sun-baked woodlands, and a faint odor of salty must coming off the Mer were all readily apparent to a searching nose.

Cedric glanced back to be sure that the scribe was recording the information before responding with a quick nod but it was the scribe who spoke.

"I don't see you here in the church's records, acolyte. These things do happen from time to time... administrative issues. Have you been away from the capital for an extended period of time? Sometimes they simply fail to include people on the updated lists." The scribe was a narrow man who sat behind a makeshift desk adorned simply with a few ledgers and an inkwell. As he spoke, he moved his long hair from his face with an effeminate sweep of the hand.
~AbboTT
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

After speaking Petros stood waiting for a reply and permission to enter the city. Petros's left hand joined his right on his staff and he leaned his weight down on the stick. The breeze blew past messing his hair.

As the scribe spoke Petros listened to every word and some confusion entered his mind. His concerns stayed off his face, but in the back of his mind he was wondering why he was not on the records, and what would happen? They surly would not send him back into the Downs?

Then something came into Petros’s mind and he spoke his thoughts for the scribe to hear. “Well, it would be more accurate to say I was an acolyte. I have been out of the city for sometime now, and it has just now occurred to me that I may no longer be on the books, as it were. I do, however, intend to continue my work as an acolyte, but I may not be on your lists there because of the time that I have been away.” As he finished speaking Petros realized he may have spoken to much. He had always had that problem in the past this man did not want his life story just to know if he had been a way for a while. Well, the word once spoke is gone from the speakers lips, there way nothing he could do about it now.

As the wind continued to blow and move Petros’s hair back and forth he smiled again as he realized that he had been a way for much to long.
Last edited by Petros on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

"Yes yes... as I said, these things do happen now and again." The scribe did some eponymous scribing, pausing just long enough to flash a quick gesture towards Grimes before finishing his note-taking.

"Alright then," the sergeant rumbled to the young holy man a morose manner. "Welcome back to the Capital, lad." The man turned his shoulders slightly while making a shallow nodding bow, indicating that Petros was free to enter the city. He turned back to the scribe and took a step or two in his direction before speaking up again, "So, Raymond, what's the latest word on those fools who are taking their turns at Sinner's Square tomorrow?"

A light chuckle escaped Raymond's lips as he placed his quill back into its ink well. "All I know is that the Vanguard moving quickly. The navy is begging for them all to be skinned. They sure are making an especially big deal over that local bloke, though." His soft voice trailed off as to allow the guard the opportunity to form his own conclusions or to add speculative suggestions.

OOC: WELCOME to King's Court! You are free to go ahead and start posting. You may continue in this thread as well if you are interested in the above conversation. Like most things in Taz, it's is up to you!
~AbboTT
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

Petros had started to move forward to enter the city when the two at the gate spoke to each other. Petros was torn. He really wanted to get into the city before it got much later, but he was intrigued.

"Being away for so long I do not know the local news. If what you speak of is for not just your ears, but mine as well I would hear more of it. Why are these men to be killed? Who do you mean the local bloke and what does he have to do with the rest of it?"

It came out as blind curiosity, but to Petros it really was not. Although he was not a priest yet he still had concern for others. He especially wanted to know about these sinners and if there was anyway that he could share the love of the One with them. He was upset that people could be cruel to one another. of course Petros had no idea of what was really going on so it was not the best of ideas to jump to conclusions. Petros thought that he should get the proper information before making any judgment calls. [/i]
Last edited by Petros on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

"His name is Theo - the local guy," he continued in response to Petros' query. "He was captured off of the Attica - well.. thrown overboard that is - from what I've heard."

He cleared his throat. "As to why he's set to hang - he's a pirate. No Dominicus fearing pirate ought set foot in this city, that's for sure. We've no tolerance for their lot. None." He nodded his head to punctuate the notion. "He's to hang tomorrow morning, just the one so far as I know, though there's always someone in the stockade serving punishment if you're looking to help a lost soul." This was said with a sharply sarcastic tone.

"Gates are set for closing, boss," a younger guardsman by the name of Eli suggested to his superior officer who in turn looked toward Petros.

"Best get on into the city then, lad. You don't want to be out here when the wolves come hunting."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Petros
Acolyte of the One

Post by Petros »

Petros heard what was said and took some offense. The great One wishes that we repent and love him not kill others. A punishment of death was not something that Petros agreed with and he found it hard to believe that the One would want such a thing to take place.

Petros felt as if the comment about looking for a lost soul was a bit sarcastic and although he was upset about it thought better of saying anything at this point and instead only smiled and made a shaking like motion with his head. Inside Petros was realizing how much of a lost soul he himself was. How could he even hope to be help for someone who needed spiritual guidance. Petros was not ready for such responsibly. Even with this doubt Petros set it in his mind to visit Sinners Square in the morning before poor Theo was to be hung.

Petros understood when he was being hurried along and he did not intend to be eaten by anything on this particular evening. Petros spoke once more. "Thank you for all of your help." With these last words he set his face toward the city and as he stepped through the gate he headed toward the only place he knew he could find help, the Basilica.
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

"No problem," he responded. "Have a good evening." It would seem the sarcasm was all in a good bit of fun for the guardsman.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Return to “KC Archive”