ENTRANCE: Vigilent Gates - Jygust 31st 1225 AD - Morningtide

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

Angelique had done a very important thing already, make Kaine smile as she swiftly departed, particularly as he watched her little bottom disappear into the crowd. Shaking his head, and maintaining a smile, he looked up at the line. "NEXT!" The guardsman called. "I'll need your name - full name that is, also, your business here in the great city of King's Court. Lastly, I'll need to know your religious allegiance. Do you pay respects to the One God, Dominicus?"

This was said with a pleasant demeanor as the guardsman sat up and adjusted his nice jacket. The scribe next to him paid close attention to any answers so as to keep a good record as Michel had instructed.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Draggo Blacksun
Civus

Post by Draggo Blacksun »

Draggo could see the walls of the aptly named Kings Court loom before him. Its damaged walls bearing witness to a battle not long ago, evidence added too by the hastily repaired main gate and the number of armed guards before and above it. 'This does not bode well' Draggo thought. 'Well on the brighter side whatever happened here has long since been over.'

He realised then, upon seeing one of the greatest cities of the world scarred by battle, that he'd been travelling the woods for to long. 'Well my time of self imposed exile is over. I cannot heal the wounds of the past by running from them, or by hiding myself from the world of men. Travelling the wilds has tought me that if anything'.

Draggo watched as the gate guard let the the woman sailor pass. He smirked as the guardsman openly gawked at the retreating woman. 'Well its good to know that somethings never change, no matter how long you spend away from civilisation'.Even he had to admit, though, that she was a finely built ship and her stern was worthy of a longer inspection.

When the Guardsman asked his questions, Draggo promtly replied.

"Draggo Blacksun."

"Whatever work I can find here, will then be my business."

"Ah, Now thats easy to answer. You see when I was younger I prayed to the gods, like a good little boy before bed. I also prayed when the orcs were tearing my pearents apart for their amusement. I even prayed to the gods for my own death, when it was my turn to be the orcs play thing. Guess what? They never answered. So I don't pray anymore." Draggo finished, the bitterness rising in his voice.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The even mood that Angelique had inspired was being quickly dissolved by this heretic, though, there was a pain in his tone that suggested he wasn't saying it out of spite, but rather, out of ignorance of the Path of the One God and His plan. In time he'll find his way, Kaine surmised, surprisingly.

"There are a number of projects going on in the city currently," the guardsman said as the scribe wrote out both a pass for the new comer as well as jotted down his information, though he counted him as a Oneist - if only to prevent him further trouble. "So if you be looking for work, there are plenty labor jobs around. Do you have a specific talent? We'd be happy to point you in the right direction."

Considering whether or not it'd be pushing his duty, he continued. "And, between you and me, Draggo - I'd keep your religious ideas quiet like. There are plenty in this city who wouldn't appreciate your tone. I happen to be a very forgiving man. Not all share my view, if you catch my drift..." he trailed off, and then casually noted something on his own parchment which was, in fact, a tally of the number of non-Oneists he believed to enter the city even if they claimed to be Oneists. He had to make an extra tally. For some reason, Angelique's claim of being a good little Dominican didn't sit with him. He'd much rather think she was a Panling.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Draggo Blacksun
Civus

"Talents, talents you ask?" Draggo responded, stroking his mustauche. "Well I guess I can swing a sword as good as the next man. Though I doubt you'll be needing, or wanting, too many men walking around the city with that talent." he said with a knowing smile. "I will not draw steel first, so fear not. I will however be the one thats still able to walk away, if any IS drawn." Draggo added as if it were a proven fact.

Taking a good look at the walls, the gate and the guards. Draggo took a deep breath. "It may have been a mistake to come to this great city, but I needed to be around people once again. After being so long alone." He said mostly to himself.

"Well.... I have worked for nobility before. As a solver of problems, You might say." Draggo hinted with a conspirital tone. "So I know how to keep my mouth shut. Perhaps there'll be a lord or lady, who'll need a problem solving survivor in their employ."

Then trying to befriend the guardsman, Draggo added. "Not that I'm saying the city watch can't handle most troubles, Its just that some issues require a bit of discretion....and I appreciate the discretion your showing to me." Spotting the parchment the guardsman was holding.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Kaine listened to the skills Draggo had. He seemed just the sort that Michel could be interested in. "There's a number of places I'd say you could by work," the sergeant said with a nod, looking over Draggo's shoulder to see how hectic the rest of the line was being. Things had been moving fairly smoothly this day, he wasn't too worried about spending some extra time on this young man.

"If you would like to go into private contract the best place for information would likely be the Dragon's Den by the harbor. Straight shot right down the Avenue of Trade," he pointed down the main road that could carry him from the gate to the harbor - in the city and out of it for some.

"City watch? We have no City Watch," he said. There was a level of irritation in that. King's Court was a better city than to rely on some corrupt city watch such as what was in the employ of the Citadel. The Vanguard was the closest thing to it, and the Army generally didn't get along too well with them. "The Western Terra Army, lead by Michel Carbonneau, is in charge here." He said. "And if you find no manner of employ privately, perhaps a charge in his army would be a good path for you, being a sword hand."
The scribe slid across Draggo's city pass with a nod, and then went on to jot down some other notes as if neither of the men existed.

"You would have to prove your ability, of course, to enter the army, but you may use my name, Sergeant Wilthrope, as entrance," he offered. It seemed he had a soft spot for miscreants and non-Dominicans. Kaine adjusted his officers jacket with pride.

OOC: You're welcome to enter the city while finishing off this thread, Draggo. There's already a MT thread at the Dragon's Den and you're welcome to join that or find some other trouble in the city - whatever you're interested in. PM me if you have any questions!
Draggo Blacksun
Civus

Draggo listened intently to sergeant Wilthrope, as he listed possible places of employment. The officers tone of dismissal of the city watch, and straight backed pride, when talking of the Western Terra army. Flagged him as a possible career man. This was confirmed by the way he subtly tried to recruit Draggo.

For his part, Draggo had no love for the structure of the military service.... but if nothing turned up in the next few days. Well it was always an option. Besides most good armies have scouts and pathfinders, roles which would favour Draggo.

"Thank you Sargeant. I'll keep it in mind." Draggo said with all honesty. With that he pocketed the pass, and gave the soldier the warriors salute. Soon the gate was behind him and the city before.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Kaine nodded as Draggo thanked him. "Ever of service," he said, impressed by the young man's salute. Today is turning out quite better than I thought. The sergeant waited for Draggo to clear the gate before his voice raised several volumes and took on a more strict tone.

NEXT!" The guardsman called. "I'll need your name - full name that is, also, your business here in the great city of King's Court. Lastly, I'll need to know your religious allegiance. Do you pay respects to the One God, Dominicus?" He asked, his eyes alert to those who might cause trouble in these turbulent times. It wasn't an easy job to be a Gatesman. He'd never thought on it much before, having spent his time out in the field doing the work of a warrior. He adjusted his jacket and waved up the next person in line.

Next to him a quiet scribe paid close attention to any answers so as to keep a good record as Michel Carbonneau had ordered. He was a bookish sort of man, one who it made sense to be working as a scribe. He'd worked for the military on and off for a time now, and found it to be good, steady work. The Western Terra Army had been very busy lately.

Return to “KC Archive”