Hurtin for a Hurtin (Jygust 30th TT)

Moderator: Mods

Uli Orange
Civus

Hurtin for a Hurtin (Jygust 30th TT)

Post by Uli Orange »

Roque was a city with quite a lot to do Uli was finding. Everywhere, people seemed to be reveling in the changes brought about by Roque’s new status as a sovereign city. Of course, a few of those who owned estates along the Mer might have not been as eager for such a change. As it was, there seemed to be business and customers for the taking in Roque and everyone was scrapping to establish themselves. In such an environment, Uli knew that it was dangerous to have any desires or ambition for one’s self, as they were almost inevitably shared by someone else who believed it was the right moment to make their move as well. The fact that Uli was new to Roque and had no one to watch his back also concerned him. The criminals and dangerous individuals in the smuggling and drug trade weren’t likely to be throwing any parties for Uli as he tried to work his way into their ranks, likely squeezing out a few of Roque’s established villains in the process. The solution was both obvious and appealing to Uli. He had always wanted to become a great knight who could rouse fear at the mere drop of his name. His goal, though, was not set so high, yet he was never opposed to exceeding his own expectations. If he could gain himself the reputation as strong fighter, then it would make just about every aspect of his enterprising much easier. Skill with the blade and a reputation for using it could give him preference when it came to smuggling or sales contracts. After all, everyone wants to know that their investments are well protected. And if he angered someone or put them out of business, they would think twice before coming after him.

Though he knew what he wanted, Uli was unsure where he could get practice at fighting. As a young boy in Kislovan, he had been the Orange Knight to his friends. In their mock battles, he wielded his wooden blade with confidence and ferocity as he fought to free the humans from the evil Adhiel who would make them slaves. He remembered fondly how hard it had been to get boys to play the Adhiel since they all wanted to be the hero to end the Adhiel tyranny. He had long since let go of his naïve racism towards the Adhiel from his childhood, but he was glad that the battles had at least taught him something besides how to hate. How much of his childhood prowess would carry over to real combat, Uli was unsure. He was certain, though, that he was as fit as anyone for combat and he was confident that the sword would grab him if only he would grab it.

The best place to learn to fight, he reasoned, was at the Broken Blade Arena, not on the arena floor though mind you. Surely, he could find someone there who could teach him how to make use of the broad sword he had brought with him. The only questions were what it would cost him, coin or otherwise, and whether or not the cheap leather armor he had purchased would end up being his demise.

The walk to the Broken Blade Arena took a few burns, during which Uli considered rolling himself a halfie of Hemp, but decided against it in case he was tested today. Outside the arena, the mix of people looked promising to Uli. More than a few wore some sort of armor and a big obnoxious sheath to signify their abilities. Grasping his sword and balancing it on his shoulder, he looked around for someone whose face looked aged enough to suggest that they had honed their skill through all of the trends and changes, yet who didn’t look as if they could no longer take to the battlefield.
F**k today, it's tomorrow!- Freddie Mercury
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

Towering three stories tall, the ‘monstrosity’ (as some residents called it) which is the Broken Blade Arena towers over neighboring buildings fairly easily, a complex visible from any corner of Roque although some vantage points show more than others. The first/ground floor houses vendor booths, the ‘cheap seats’, betters boxes, and (most importantly) the killing floor, a large, circular expanse of sand and scrap, ever-present blood-flecks on the wall that have been there since day one providing a fitting décor to the smell of both death and feces which seems trapped in the sand. Four closed and locked portcullis-protected openings are the only entrances to the confined battleground, open hallways leading to the audience seating areas, booths, and stairwells leading upward.

The second floor houses a set of suites which run along the outer track and are used for either business or housing by visiting nobility as their slaves compete in the contests or to bed trollops in celebrations of victories past. The second floor, along the inner track, also plays host to the more expensive balconies and boxes, close enough to the killing floor to allow the show to be viewed, but far enough away to prevent a combatant from making a successful bid for ‘unexpected encores’ involving their owners or, in the case of sentenced criminals, the lawmakers who put them there.

The third floor is largely empty, save for a small suite reserved for the manager and a set of offices opposite the arena which are where the manager, vendors, slavers, and staff all function to keep the arena running. At the back of the offices, via a door to which only the owner and manager hold a key, lies a short hallway and a safe where the house winnings are stored.

A basement below the arena serves as a holding area for both the living and the dead, its only entrance and exit through the northern portcullis on the killing floor.

The Broken Blade Arena is managed by a blind woman named Callara and a heavily tattooed former combatant named Jeet-Belan, but there are always a pair of guards posted at each door on the first floor ready to assist or impede visitors during ‘off-hours’, ticket sellers in their stead when a match has been scheduled.

As Uli approached the three story tall building, there weren't currently many people around- at least on the outside. There were however two guards dressed in black near the door, and an older man walking out.

The man was dressed in chainmail with a black surcoat similar to that of the guards, and he had a great axe strapped to his back. His head was covered with a chainmail coif, and he had a thick blonde beard draping off of his face. The guards nodded their heads at him as he walked past, and he merely grunted in response. He seemed in a hurry, and as he passed Uli, he showed no signs of noticing his existence.
Uli Orange
Civus

Post by Uli Orange »

Uli was transfixed by the arena and found it hard to keep himself from admiring it. Fortunately, he turned his attention back to the task at hand as he spied, out of the corner of his eye, a man leaving the arena. The man wore a robust beard that leapt out from his chain coif in a manner reminiscent of a flame escaping a cauldron. The handle of an axe could be seen waving back and forth behind his back on pace with his gait. He walked straight and with purpose, not troubling himself to return Uli’s gaze as he walked by. Uli knew from the man’s demeanor that he likely wasn’t the charitable or easily won over type. Approaching the man without any knowledge of him would be disrespectful and almost certainly fruitless, especially if he was an arena veteran who expected people to know him by reputation. A third party’s input would obviously be required.

So as not to let the bearded warrior get too far away, Uli walked briskly up to the guard who stood just right of the entrance to the arena and locked his eyes to the guards to let him now he was about to be engaged.

“Excuse me, Sir. Do you know who that man was who just exited the arena? He looks very much like someone I knew from my stay in Trothgard,” Uli said casually, attempting not too sound overzealous lest he be mistaken for a pesky fan. He still held the blade over his shoulder and he hoped the guard would flag him as a fighter as well.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank walked up to the arena and saw an older man walking out of the arena in his direction, and he looked like he was in a hurry. He didn't really pay the man too much mind, but he looked like the perfect example of a regular to this arena. He stopped for a second, looking up at the massive building before him. He stood there, a foot and a half above most of the men walking around him and shielded his eyes from the sun with a hand. "This is as good a place as any to learn to fight!" His voice was proud and booming with enthusiasm, and a smile spread across his face. He panned his head from side to side and soaked in everything. Taking a deep breath he almost gagged. "It sure smells awful around here!"

Frank had never been here before, and though he knew it was an arena, he had no idea the intensity and monstrosity of that which occurred here. He assumed it was a recreational thing, and would be shocked and horrified if he knew how many people died here. He put his hand around one of the throwing knives that Navirez had given him. "I suppose this is probably a small sword to a man... Even considering my height it won't be easy to chuck this thing, since it's not balanced like a hammer." He put it back on his belt and focused back on the scene in front of him, thinking with an ignorant grin on his face.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The guard looked at Uli, then at his fellow guard, and then back at Uli. "Get lost kid, that man ain't from Trothgard. He's the chief of the guard here, and he'd cleave you in two if he heard you insult his heritage like that. Why don't you go play swords someplace else, this isn't the place for someone like you." He hocked his throat and spit on the ground, and his face was wrinkled and angry. He looked over at Frank as he approached. "And you, idiot- that's the smell of death. Don't like it? Leave."

The other guard gave the first a stern look. "Ease up Loki, he just asked a simple question." He looked at Uli with a much kinder look- though he still did not have the friendliest of faces. "What Loki is trying to say, is that you're getting into a dangerous area, and if you pick a fight with just about anyone who works here- you'll probably die. This isn't a sparring field, it's where miserable prisoners, criminals, and fools battle for their lives. You look like you're itchin' for a fight. Well maybe you and the big fella over there could spar..." He pointed his spear at Frank and with a whimsical tone, continued. "...I doubt this buffoon here is a trained killer. Or am I wrong about your intentions? Perhaps you are just looking for a job as a guard... I haven't seen the boss around in awhile, but I guess you could talk to Callara about work if you need..."

"Well for nether's sake, Isaac, why don't you just throw a teaparty with your new friends? God, you're an asshole..." The other guard leaned against the doorpost and crossed his arms, sufficiently angered by the disturbance of his shift.
Uli Orange
Civus

Post by Uli Orange »

“Thanks, I’m not interested in working as a guard but I guess I am in need of someone to clang my blade against,” Uli replied to the guard who had given him the more helpful response.

Standing in the shadow of the arena was the half-giant who the guard had designated as a possible sparring partner. Uli could only raise an eyebrow as he imagined how a fight between the two of them might go. He had never been in a fight with a half-giant or known anyone who had, at least that he believed, and he could only see it ending with him getting pounded into ground by the half-giant like he was a metal stake. Uli knew brute strength didn’t make a good warrior, but it certainly helped. And though finesse and agility might be seen as the obvious answer to such an opponent, that insight isn’t close to sufficient to convince you to fight a half-giant-not when you’re standing in front of one in person.

The half-giant, with his over sized grin, did look rather friendly or perhaps dumb. To Uli there was a discrete but very important difference between the two. It was just always a little hard to detect which was true. Whether the colossal man had any skill at fighting couldn’t be known from his appearance. Hanging at his waist though were hefty hammers and axes. While he couldn’t be sure for certain, Uli felt comfortable with the assumption that those tools were used for working.

Well, the only way to learn to fight is to practice. And I guess that if you can fight a half-giant then you can fight anyone.

Uli walked up to the half-giant and let the tip of his sword rest on the ground. To the half-giant Uli said with a smile, “How are you this day, Sir? I’m Uli Orange and a newcomer to this city. I heard you mention that you were looking to learn to fight. If you’d like to spar with me I’ve got myself a sword and some basic protection. I can assure you too that I won’t cleave off any of your limbs, though I think you’d only need one or two to beat me anyways.”
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank's smile disappeared when the guard told him what he was smelling. The smell of death... Father, is that what you've so wrought so often before? Frank realized that when his father brought home money from the arena, it wasn't because he entertained people, it was because he slaughtered them.

His frown turned back into a smile, realizing that he'd still get what he was looking for. The human before him was not a half-giant, but he was tall. Frank would never make it publicly known, but he was afraid of the smaller folk when it came to combat. Not because he's slow and outran (half-giants are naturally very agile despite their size) but because he might not be quick to see their actions. When you loft above others those that crouch below are hard to keep track of.

“How are you this day, Sir? I’m Uli Orange and a newcomer to this city. I heard you mention that you were looking to learn to fight. If you’d like to spar with me I’ve got myself a sword and some basic protection. I can assure you too that I won’t cleave off any of your limbs, though I think you’d only need one or two to beat me anyways.”

"I'm not too bad, I just got hired today. All I have to do now is learn a little bit. I can also assure you I won't crush your bones." Frank ran his fingers along one of his hammers and one of his short swords. If I want to keep that pointy thing away from me, better to use these than fists. Then again, I've only ever fought father with hands, so I don't really know how to fight beyond that aside from throwing hammers. I don't think a friendly fight is the place to be performing such an uncontrollable combat move. Frank touched his toes and stretched his arms, and drew his biggest hammer and twirled it with his right hand, leaving his left hand free. The hammer was longer than his throwing axes, and therefore not easily thrown. It was good for a momentous swing though, and hopefully for sundering blades. Hammer, sword, what's the difference? I could learn to use this the same way. I'll just have to depend on my thick skin and bountiful meat beneath it to absorb any painful lacerations before they reach my bones. "I accept your challenge."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The guards both kept silent, but they watched the two who stood before them, eager to see how things went. The sun bore down hot, and the air was a bit muggy, but there was a cool breeze that offered to redeem the heat. There were no people around, and the streets were quiet. Most folk were elsewhere during the tradetide, although it seemed that anyone who happened to stumble upon the outside gate of the arena today might just get a free show...
Uli Orange
Civus

Post by Uli Orange »

Uli stared the half-giant in the eyes for a moment before bending to unlace his Cuir-Bouilli armor from his shield. He gazed around the landscape and it looked as noble a battlefield as any. Somewhere aloft, perhaps there was a lady peering down from her balcony with guilty interest. If he was beaten horribly by this half-giant, then at least no one would be surprised. Therefore, he had nothing to lose in fighting this intimidating man. Uli was also pleased to be helping the man out as well since he knew it probably wasn’t easy for him to find someone willing to spar with a half-giant.

After pulling the straps tight on his leather armor, Uli stretched his arms, midsection, and legs with a quick cycle of movements. He then turned back to the man he was about to fight and said, “Shall we step into some space and begin? And I’m Uli by the way in case I don’t get another opportunity to tell you.”
Last edited by Uli Orange on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank stepped backward a few times, his gigantic legs distancing himself from the arena in a few strides. "My name is Frank. I'm sure you'll get another opportunity, if you remember, we're on the outside of the Arena." He scratched the back of his head with his hammer and beckoned the young human. His desire to fight kind of upset Frank because the eagerness reminded him of his dad, but he was confident that this would be a light-hearted exchange.

Frank's father would be very happy to see what he was doing, and Frank would be disgruntled to tell him. He never had any interest in fighting before, because he didn't like people being afraid of him. When people cowered at the sight of Frank it made him sad. If he was a cheerful peaceful giant, he was sure people would warm up to him and even feel safe around him. Now that it was for the sake of being a sailor, fighting was the first thing he wanted to do. Perhaps he'd even be willing to face his dad to learn a thing or two. That's something he's not quite ready for at this point.
Last edited by Frank on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The surlier of the two guards grunted. "Well!? If yer gonna fight than do it already! Yer borin' me to tears!" The other guard simply watched in amusement, waiting to see what happened between the two. In a contemptible tone, the sour guard continued.

"You two dimwits gonna need a head start? Alright numskulls here it is. Ready?... Go!"

Isaac just looked at Loki with disapproving eyes. It didn't take a genius to figure out that Loki woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Post by Quinlan Corodin »

In all honesty, Quinlan had a morbid sort of fascination with the arena since he first heard about it. And now he had a good excuse to come: a man named Frank whom Captain Navirez had told him to seek.

The place was likely considered by certain circles to be barbaric at best, and maybe that was true. But the idea of it was exciting in a manly way, combatants locked in that most ancient and natural contest. Of course, Quinlan had a tendency to wax romantic, and reminded himself more and more often to keep it in check.

This time, perhaps the idea wasn't so far off the mark. Strolling up atop his horse, he was surprised to see two men apparently facing off right outside. Of course, he didn't know that one of them was the very person he sought, but Frank had been described as simply "large," and they didn't get much larger than this.

Quinlan wasn't sure if what he saw was a real fight about to begin, but all those around seemed calm enough. Just the same, he gently pulled his mount's reigns, giving the pair a wide berth and waiting to see what would happen next.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank noticed a horseman approach, but once his glance started to shift one of the guards shouted
"GO"

As soon as the sound vibrated in his tympanic membrane he threw himself backward, landing on his hands. Without a split flicker's hesitation, he launched himself off of his hands onto his feet. He swiped a hand by his tool-belt, ripping a smaller hammer from it and throwing it at the human's weapon in one solid motion. When the human responded to the weapon flying at his weapon Frank pounced as fast as he could turning his body in an attempt to latch his throwing hand onto face of Uli, using the inertia of his turn to fling his arm. If he succeeds, he'll place his fingers over his face and throw him into the wall as hard as he can.
Last edited by Frank on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Frank's hammer smacked Uli's sword in such a fashion that it jolted his arms and startled him. Before he could react the half-giant lunged forward and grabbed the face of the boy and his fingers almost wrapped entirely around his greasy dredlocks. With a great deal of force his head was thrown towards the wall and the side of his head smacked the wall with a loud crack sound. A little blood could be seen on the wall and he fell to the ground, unconscious. A lump formed on his head, but as he started to snore, it became evident that he was going to be fine.

Loki grumbled. "Well that wasn't much of a fight..." Isaac however clapped his hands. "Wow! You're really strong! You should get a job as a guard here! I'd be honored to work alongside you." A searing formed in Frank's foot and it rushed up to his head and back into his foot in a milliflicker as the hammer that ricocheted off of Uli's broadsword landed with a clang on Frank's foot. It throbbed, and it hurt.

QC, you can assume that your side thread "Hostile Witness" happens after this thread is done, so you may now continue to interact with Frank
Last edited by Haikan on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

As Uli lay flat against the wall, Frank's face twisted half because of the gruesome sight before him and half because of the hammer that pounded his foot. "Why does my foot always get smashed!?" As the human began falling forward Frank took a step toward him and caught him, putting his head over his shoulder, as well as doubling the pain in his throbbing foot. His face scrunched together as a result of his hurting foot, and the pain caused his voice to sound like he was carrying something extremely heavy. "Whoah, hold it right there buddy!" He turned him to face upwards, and placed him down on his back. "I'm sorry little guy, I didn't mean to go that hard, I guess I'm just afraid of getting cut." He put a lance in the Uli's pocket, and picked up a rolled piece of paper that he'd dropped, and put it in the pocket right next to the lance. I wonder if that's enough training to satisfy James and Navirez... I didn't learn much...

Frank turned his head around and looked at the horseman staring at him, and felt ashamed and frowned. He looked at the two guards and said in a lower voice than usual: "I'm sorry guys, but I have a lot of work to do for my captain at the shipyard. I don't want to disappoint Navirez." He looked back down at the still body, not knowing how to help him. "Can anyone give this kid a hand? He has something in his pocket, it kind of smells like medicine." At least he's snoring, that must mean he's just sleeping.
Last edited by Frank on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Quinlan scrunched his face sympathetically as the scrap anticlimactically ended. The smaller of the two wasn't going to be happy when he came around. Well, such is life around the arena, I suppose.

Overhearing what he said to the others, there was little chance that mere coincidence was at work.

"You must be Frank," he called. "Captain Navirez said I should look for you. I am Quinlan Corodin." Grimacing, he waited for the half giant to figure out where to lay his former opponent. "That was quite a good showing, indeed." Quinlan edged his horse a few strides closer.

"So you work at the Waterworks? Have you heard anything about raids? Disappearances?"
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank looked down sympathetically at Uli a little while longer while the horseman spoke to him. "Frank Poundwright is my name, and the Captain just hired me this morning. I'm not sure what my job is quite yet though." He looked up from the unconscious body and up at the horseman. "I didn't want to hurt him, I just thought he'd fall down... I didn't want to make him bleed... He talked a big game and I didn't want to get my head cut off. I guess I got a little carried away."

"I help build boats and make basic furnishings, nothing too fancy. These weapons I have are mostly the tools I use in my trade... but I'll tell you what my REAL passion is..." Frank reached into his tool belt and pulled out three symmetrical balls. He took two of them and began tossing one over the other in one of his hands, and then he tossed the other one in the air, juggling all three.

He grinned up at the peak of their toss, but dropped them all on his foot when Quinlan mentioned the raids. He winced again, this time not honoring the familiar pain with a response. He took a deep breath and sighed. "I know a little bit about them, but I've actually only worked there for a few tendays. I was told by my supervisor that I had nothing to worry about, and he said to keep my head down regarding the matter. Why do you ask?" As he answered the horseman he began picking up the balls and putting them back in his pouch.
Last edited by Frank on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Quinlan smiled at the juggling giant. He seemed refreshingly friendly, and surprisingly good-natured for a man who just bashed someone unconscious.

"Heh, that's... quite a skill. You sure you don't belong performing somewhere instead?" was Quinlan's friendly comment.

"I wouldn't worry too much about him, so long as someone looks after him." Quinlan looked over to the arena entrance. Given what took place inside, he thought - or hoped - they might have someone who could patch up cuts and bumps.

"I am looking into the raids on Navirez's behalf. I spoke with him just a while ago. I don't know how long they've been going on, but it seems he has decided to do something about it."

"He seems to think it's orcs." Quinlan deftly slid down. "I was just about to inquire with one of the guards here that supposedly saw them."
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Locked for skilling.

Skillz awarded!

Uli - Swords Two Handed, skill gained

Conversation +*

Frank - Grappling +*
Juggling +*
Last edited by Haikan on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”