Gears of the Mind - The Lyceum, Chyril 22, late TT - Harmony

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Post by Dartimos Hammer »

Settling down, Harmony began to realize just what she had let herself in for. There seemed to be no end to the rules, and exceptions to the rules, and exceptions to exceptions to the rules, about how words were written. The was for example, the entire concept of capitalization. Most of the capital letters looked like larger versions of the lower case versions, but not all of them.

She was able to stumble through the first part of the book, and with time and effort it all seemed doable. Staying a day ahead of her student in her lessons was not going to be impossible as long as she had the time to study.

The problem came when she tried to apply what she had learned to the books on areonautics and airships. It took several tries but she was able to sound out Lamm-inn-ar flo and co-efff-ish-int of frik-shawn but she still had no idea what it meant. Even the most basic of the theory books started with an expectation that she would understand many concepts that she had never heard of.

The Dictionary of Aeronautical Engineering was even less help, often defining terms by using mathamatical equations and symbols that were not even in her language books.
Comfort Level =D / Age = 41 (Gasp!!!)
Posting 1-2 times per week.

Post by Guest »

Harmony had the infinite patience of a woman who had long ago left the impulses of youth behind. She settled herself down and decided that focusing on the learning of language was going to be much faster, and also be more helpful in the long run. To familiarize herself with the alphabet, and the symbols that represented it, she used her finger to trace out the shapes over and over, attempting to commit the whorls and slashes to memory. She'd search around for some parchment and a quill with which to write, to facilitate the process, but didn't think one was necessary.

Starting with the first symbol the book introduced, Harm would draw both the lowercase and uppercase versions of it until she felt familiar with the shape, and then she'd move to the next one. Occasionally during this process-- about every ten letters or so-- she would skip back to the beginning and write all of the letters up to that point in sequence, noting which ones she had a difficult time with and marking them down for extra practice. It would doubtless be a tedious process, but she figured at the very least her handwriting would improve. As she wrote the symbols, she would also make the 'sound' which was associated with the letter, so as to associate the sound with the symbol.

After Harmony had written down all of the symbols, she would try to write the entire alphabet in series, sounding them out as she did so.

From there, she'd entertain herself by attempting to make some basic words using only the symbols she had learned thus far, before moving onto whatever the book offered as the next lesson.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Post by Dartimos Hammer »

As she settled in to her studies Harm found it beginning to flow. Many letters that had originally looked completely foreign to her began to jump to her mind as variations of symbols she had seen on signs, boat hulls, etc.

The self-taught lessons on lettering and basic words went on for another mark or more. Over time however, even the most comfortable chair begins to chafe. He muscles were beginning to complain from the stiffness and inactivity.

OOC: Feel free to write a close out to this. Please let me know if you intend to keep the meeting with your potential student, and what else is on Harm's calendar.
Comfort Level =D / Age = 41 (Gasp!!!)
Posting 1-2 times per week.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Archived without skilling due to player inactivity.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”