A Bard in the House - Promonade Theatre (Early ET Chyril 22)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Rhoddin
Adventurer

A Bard in the House - Promonade Theatre (Early ET Chyril 22)

Post by Rhoddin »

The young bard followed the map the young barmaid had drawn him, passing through Highton into Southbridge he made his way slowly through the unfamiliar city. Eventually he came upon it.

Nestled amid several great cultural structures, stood the Promenade Theatre.

Circular in design, the young bard approached what appeared to be the main entrance. It was too early yet for the more bawdy and salacious nature to be seen, no signs of the rakes and the wealthier youths, making it a popular meeting place for many of the newer generation of Merchant Princes.

All that seemed to greet him was the cool dark of an entrance, but still that was why he was here wasn't it, an entrance? So enter he did, casting his eyes around to seek someone who might be able to assist in his quest for the day.
[color=blue]Back from the brink, but still lost, damn some times just never change.[/color]
Morg

Post by Morg »

If Rhoddin had been able to read, he would have spotted the signs around the entrance stating "NO PERFORMANCES THIS EVENINGTIDE". And if he'd been a local, he'd have noticed how unusual that state of affairs was. The theatre was in action almost every night. Of course, even with these drawbacks it was still possible to put two and two together and associate both with the posters plastered on every surface.

This wasn't to say that the theatre was quiet. Just within the entrance, an achadhiel girl, her hair in plaits, was sitting peacefully in a booth, waiting to greet visitors. A glimpse of the stage area could be caught beyond, where several men were working to dismantle a large and elaborate set. As Rhoddin approached, a dwarf with close cut grey hair and a short moustache, dressed in a black shirt that fell short of covering his hairy belly, passed by, carrying a reasonably convincing false fireplace. With the exception of the girl in the booth, everyone around seemed to be busy.

A well-dressed young man with red hair stepped up beside Rhoddin, read the notice, glanced at the poster, and emitted a disdainful "Huh".
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

To the young bard it seemed fairly busy, he was used to a slower pace. However, he was not unobservant, and clearly something was not as it usually was. the reaction of the local caught his attention, but in all truth he was not here for the entertainment, he sort something else.

It appeared that the achadhiel girl was to be his first point of contact, so having taken a flicker to compose himself, Rhoddin approached, removing the cowl of his cloak as he did so.

Clearing his throat softly he enquired of the achadhiel girl "Excuse me miss. I was seeking the Guild of Performing Artists. I was told that it was here abouts. I myself am a bard and seek counsel from my fellows in The Mouth."

He waited silently for a response, observing the going ons around him as he did so.
[color=blue]Back from the brink, but still lost, damn some times just never change.[/color]
Morg

Post by Morg »

The mousey-haired girl looked up from her book and smiled. "The Guild building's just across there, signore." She gestured to a whitewashed two-storey house on the street corner opposite the theatre. Aside from being a corner house, and moderately large, there was little to mark it out from the other dwellings on the street. A board swinging above the door was carved with the image of a woodwind instrument of some sort, although its precise nature was obscured by a layer of grime. One of the shutters had come off its lower hinge and was hanging loose. The wide doors were open, revealing a somewhat dingy entrance hall lit by a pair of lanterns and carpeted with reed mats. No one was immediately visible within.

"I'm not sure you'll find counsel there," she added apologetically. "The musicians of the Mouth often meet at the theatre, in the bar, rather than at the Guild. The Guild has been in some difficulties recently, and isn't as... welcoming as it once was." She shrugged. "There isn't a performance on tonight, but you're welcome to go on in if you like. The theatre bar's open as usual."

Two men walked past, lugging a wooden flat. The dwarf, meanwhile, had dumped the fireplace into a cart and was returning to the stage area for another load.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

The bard nodded his head, "My thanks." He thought for a flicker or two, it seemed he had got into enough trouble for one day, so maybe the guild was not the place to go, just yet anyway.

"How might I find the bar? It seems that this might be the place to be, for now anyway." Again thst dazzling smile, this time directed at the young woman before him.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Rhoddin's smile had a pleasant effect on the young achadhiel. Her pale cheeks reddened a little, and she returned the smile with an involuntary one of her own. "In through the door and up the stairs. It's just above this foyer, next to the upper stands." She looked down at her book again as she added "Maybe I'll see you there later."

The bar turned out to be a spacious area, up a steep flight of stairs and overlooking the rake of the stands, with the stage itself not quite visible. All its fittings were in wood and plastered board, and, as the girl had suggested, the place was quite busy. At the bar itself, which was served by a lanky young man, a group had formed, chatting cheerfully.

Leading the conversation was a tall man with a weathered face whose dark blonde hair was tied back in a ponytail. A lute was strapped to his back. He was holding forth to a spiky-haired fellow with quick dark eyes and two prominent earrings and a plump female Halfling in a red dress.

At a table was a grey-haired man with sunken features. Smartly dressed in a velvet doublet, he seemed uninterested in the rest of the people in the bar, and was nursing a large glass of red wine.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

Rhoddin approached the bar, keeping to himself initially as he surveyed those already assembled. The group of people chatting was clearly a core feature, but for some strange reason the young bard felt drawn to the odd man out.

Maybe it was his apparent disinterest, or maybe something in the sunken features spoke of interesting times past, but the grey haired man nursing a glass of wine piqued his interest.

Leaning on the bar Rhoddin waited to attract the lanky barman's attention.
Morg

Post by Morg »

The group's chatter was quite audible from the bar, whether one wanted to listen in or not.

"It certainly sounds as if you have seen much of the world, on your travels," the halfling woman was saying in a rich voice to the tall, blonde man. "I myself find that one city is quite enough for me." The dark-eyed fellow nodded in agreement."

The taller man shrugged, causing some bells in a hidden pocket to jingle merrily. "Well, much of my wandering has been fairly mundane," he admitted. "Travelling the Kingdom, playing at wayside inns to earn my keep. It's true that I happen across interesting things now and then, but you must have seen a fair few things yourself, because it isn't exactly quiet here, is it? Plenty of tales from the Mouth have reached me over the past few months." This man's accent and appearance marked him out as a Westerner, but not a Mouthie; one from the far eastern reaches of the Kingdom, near the Howling Ice Mountains.

The man at the table did not notice Rhoddin's scrutiny, continuing to pore over his wine as if seeking patterns in it. His doublet was a dark red, and a little faded, though immaculately worn. Tall and hook-nosed, he projected a stern, magisterial air.

The young barman soon finished serving the small group and strolled over to Rhoddin, smiling and clapping his rangy hands together. "Good eveningtide, signore. What'll it be?"
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

The voice of the barman shook Rhoddin from his thoughts, By K'Tan, it's eventide already!

Looking at the young man, Rhoddin managed a crooked smile, "I think a glass of red might well be in order. Something dry perhaps if you have it." The bard looked again at the older man, taking a flicker or two to consider his next move.

As the barman sorted out his drink Rhoddin made his enquiry. "Tell me good barkeep, that older chap," and he nodded his head in the direction of the seated man, "What's his story do you know? Seems a bit lost to me, do you think he might like a bit of company?" He knew he was asking a lot, but if you didn't ask, you'd never know.

As he waited, he couldn't help but overhear the blond man's comments. He tried to place the accent, but it was a bit hard to pin point it. Howling Mountains maybe, wonder if he frequents Dragons Keep. That thought stayed with the young bard as he awaited the barmnas reply to his enquiry.
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Dry? A 1223 Amadour should hit the spot," responded the young barman cheerfully, moving enthusiastically to uncork a bottle. He was evidently someone who took great pleasure in doing his job and doing it well, despite its mundanity.

At the bard's query he finished pouring the glass of wine and leant forward on the bar, propping himself up on bony elbows. "Him? I don't really know, signore," he answered in a lower voice. "He's been coming in here a lot over the past months. You wouldn't think it to look at him, but..." He dropped his voice still further. "He likes to try it on with the ladies. Especially the young starlets, the pretty ones. Acts as if he were a quarter of his age. Gets the brush-off most of the time, of course, but it doesn't seem to dent his pride." He shook his head. "The rest of the time he just sits and broods. Not much of a talker. Strange bloke. If you want to try and cheer him up, then good luck."
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

"Sounds like a fine drop. Perhaps you might just leave the bottle?" The young bard rummaged in his pockets for whatever the required coinage might be, before taking up the bottle and his glass and heading for the table occupied by the older man.

As Rhoddin approached he cleared his throat, seeking ta achieve the mans attention. "Um, do you mind if I join you good sir? It seems I have a full bottle to drink, and thought perhaps you might be interested in sharing a part of it with me?"

Rhoddin wasn't sure what preoccupied the mans mind, but he thought it might be more interesting that the other fellow sprouting off at the bar.
Morg

Post by Morg »

The bartender happily let Rhoddin have the whole bottle for three lance, and returned to serve the small group at the bar, where the halfling woman was once again demanding a glass of Kahlani.

The tall, grey-haired man looked up as Rhoddin approached. His dark eyes, somewhat bloodshot but no less intense and penetrative for it, observed the newcomer carefully, and he smiled at the offer. "I thank you, signore," he replied, in a voice that, although quiet, seemed more suited to addressing lecture halls than to polite conversation. "It seems that at least one person in this talentless hole has enough good taste to recognise class when he sees it." Lifting his glass to clink against Rhoddin's, he delivered a smile which revealed a set of perfect, unblemished pearly white teeth, remarkable in a man his age. "Saluté!"

After knocking back a decent mouthful of his own wine, he licked his thin lips and spoke again. "I trust you have come this far, and approached me, because you have heard talk of me and my works? My reputation always precedes me." This was spoken as fact, with no hint of modesty or embarrassment.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

As the older man spoke, Rhoddin took in the incongruous voice and teeth, clearly setting this man apart as something other than a simple bar room lush.

He nodded at the mans salute as he downed a decent mouthful of wine, the bards eyes twinkled as the man seemed to be full of his own importance, but maybe he had cause, Rhoddin certainly didn't know one way or the other.

"Ah, I am sorry good sir. Little precedes me at all, I am new to Worlds Mouth and know little of the wonders that abound here. It appears I have stumbled upon another treasure without truly even knowing it.

"Too be honest, I simply felt you had more to offer than the braggart and his friends at the bar. Perhaps you might enlighten me in my savage ways and introduce yourself, and your obviously notable deeds."

The young bard to a half a flicker, before extending his hand, "My name, for what it is worth, is Rhoddin. I am a bard of sorts, lately of Kings Court, now it would appear resident of Worlds Mouth. May I?" rhoddin inquired, indicating his wish to sit.
Morg

Post by Morg »

"But of course," the man stated politely, taking the proffered hand and shaking it firmly. "Provided you're not intending to waste my time as those layabouts tend to," he added, seemingly in all seriousness. After shooting a dark glance at the small group at the bar, he continued. "As for my own accomplishments, I will be happy to enlighten you, signore Rhoddin. I am..."

At this point a sudden change seemed to come over the man, and he grabbed at his wine in distress, gulping down the remaining contents of the glass and clutching with his other hand at his chest, where a lump could be seen beneath his doublet. "I am... Vito," he forced out between deep breaths, a grimace of pain on his lined face. "And... my deeds are... really not so notable. Not... significant at all."

His breathing gradually settled, and he shook his head. "I apologise," he eventually spoke again. "A persistent health problem - nothing serious, I assure you. Perhaps, while I recover, you could tell me something of yourself, and your reasons for coming here? I may have something to offer you." He gave a weak smile, and reached for the new bottle of wine.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

Even as the young bard was about to offer assistance to the man, his breathing eased and enquired of Rhoddins past. Something seemed odd to the young man, but he struggled to put his finger on it right away. It seemed at least that he had something secreted away beneath his doublet.

Rhoddin nodded, "Well met Vito, my name is Rhoddin. By trade I guess you could call me a bard. It seems I am destined to follow around those that seem out fame and fortune and chronicle their successes, and all too often their failures.

"My latest, um, sojourn if you will, was to follow the recently depart Prince Balthasar to Pan..sorry Aveas, and record his rather spectacular failure. Since then, well my companion and I have traipsed the Western Kingdom to eventually find ourselves here in the Free City.

"I was hoping to make contact with bardic guild and see if my services might enable me to earn a small stipend, whilst I do a bit of private research into the Dragon Knights." Rhoddin paused for a flicker or two here, "It seems that I might have a rather tenuous connection to them, and I was hoping to clarify this a bit further. Personal curiously only really."

The young bard looked at his companion, "And may I enquire as to your occupation Vito?" Rhoddin certainly hoped providing this information would not cause the man another turn.
Morg

Post by Morg »

"By all means," the ascetic-looking man replied through a smile that was somewhat forced. Whatever had been bothering him was not entirely gone, but he seemed to have it under control now. His teeth were gritted and the veins on his neck were more visible than they had been. "I am a magus... a master magus. I suppose you could call me a freelancer, an Independent." Curiously, there seemed to be a hint of distaste as he spoke the last word. "There are very few, if any, among the Colleges who are as talented as I. My speciality is warding magicks, and, though I say so myself, I am almost certainly Tazlure's leading expert in my field. My abode is warded against the very gods themselves. The pagan ones, anyway." He grinned again, this time more comfortably.

"I cannot help you with the Dragon Knights, nor with the bardic guild. Not my field. But I expect that the Lycaeum will hold tomes on the former," he continued airily. "They may be small-timers as far as magic is concerned, but they have a reasonable array of knowledge stored away."

He let out a small sigh of relief and sipped his wine. "However, if you are looking for financial gain I may be able to help you. I am exceedingly wealthy, and I could use someone with experience in the gathering of information, especially if that person knows how to defend himself." With a sad smile he added "Sadly my own magical and social brilliance is for once unsuited to this particular task."

Although Vito's boasts were verging on the ridiculous, he still did not state them as anything other than the absolute, plain truth.
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

As Rhoddin listened to Vito ramble on about himself, he managed a half smile as he thought about mans claims. Although they seemed outrageous, the young man had come to understand that often those who made outrageous matter of fact claims, could often back them up.

The idea of financial gain would certainly not drive the young mans future, but that was not to say it was unattractive, after all, one had to survive in an increasingly complex and expensive world, didn't one?

As for the idea of investigating something, well Rhoddin had certainly done a bit investigating over the recent months, and bit more might not hurt, besides maybe Vito would share a bit about his warding skill as part of the payment.

Taking on board the mans comments about the Lycaeum, Rhoddin nodded, almost to himself as the man finished. "Um what sort of investigation are we talking about here Vito. I mean I don't want to be crossing the City Fathers now, do I."
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Very prudent of you," Vito replied, nodding. "Fortunately you have no need to worry on that front. You would only be stepping on the toes of some nobodies, and the city will thank you for it." He smiled smugly. "But to be more specific... I have recently heard rumours of cult activity in the West End. If you were to investigate these rumours and report back to me, I would make it worth your while. To be perfectly clear about this, it is Netheric influence we are talking about here. A daemon, or more than one." His left eye twitched involuntarily, and he winced. "I would appreciate your assistance in locating and negating this threat," he went on. "I make it a personal mission of mine to defend my city of birth."

After another sip of wine he spoke again. "I don't make this offer to every stranger I meet in a bar," he added with a wry smile. "I do, however, pride myself on my judgement of talent and character, and I knew you were a good man when I saw you." The compliment was more to himself than to Rhoddin, but compliment it was nonetheless. "A question: as a well-travelled bard, are you experienced in the application of the Voice?"
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

Rhoddin considered the offer that was being put to him with some trepidation. He had dealt with arcane forces previously and hadn't really enjoyed the experience all that much, although to be fair he had survived and gaining a degree of notoriety from it. Still, to deliberately put a tigers tale was a bit foolish.

At Vito's question about the voice the young bard nodded. "Aye, I am familiar with the voice, and have a degree of talent in it's use. That being said, I still learning the use of the Voice, but I have some command of It."

The young paused a flicker or two, "Tell me Vito, why is it you cannot do this job yourself. I mean someone of your obvious skills should have little trouble in ascertaining the nature of such a disturbance. Better than a mere trainee bard such as myself. I mean don't get me wrong, I am flattered you feel I could accomplish such at ask, I just ask for reference sake you understand."
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Why me? It was a question every young man asked and perhaps they were right to be suspicious. The answer usually didn't satisfy them. The older man smiled "Yes, I am talented...in other things than information gathering. I would stick out like a sore thumb. My age alone would flag something is going on. We would be helping each other. I am sure you could use the experience to hone your talents for a good cause."

He chuckled as he took another sip of his wine "Sure, I could hire another, but.. I'm whimsical. Today I've decided to select you to assist me. Perhaps because you were kind enough to talk to an old man, and wise enough to see through his outside appearance."
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

As the older man spoke, the young bard scratched his chin, his head nodding in silent acceptance of Vito's explanation. Rhoddin wasn't sure he completely accepted the older mans offered excuse, but he accepted he needed to make a decision.

Well, in for a banner, in for a crown I guess! Rhoddin came to a decision, gathering some information seemed pretty harmless, and if the cult was indeed dangerous, then why would he not try to stamp it out?

"Fair enough then Vito, we have ourselves an arrangement. Tell me what you can of the cult, and I will do what I can to find out more for you.

"If it is as dangerous as you seem to think, then I will do what I can to eliminate it, or least have the authorities deal with it, if it is beyond my abilities."

The young man thrust out his hand, "Do we have a deal?"
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

The old man nodded slowly and then accepted Rhoddin's offered hand. A quick smile flashed over the man's face, followed by what could have been a sigh of relieve. "A fine choice on a fine day !" he stated and rose to his feet.

"I am sure that you have what it takes to solve this problem..." a cough followed, showing a tickle of blood flowing from the edge of the old man's lips. The Old man returned to his seat and became a tat pale while his eyes focused on something near the entrance of the inn.

A tall, fat and scarred bald man had entered the Inn, searching the place with his eyes. Slowly closing in on the place where Vito and Rhoddin where seated.
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

As Vito coughed, the young bard noticed the trickle of blood and he went instinctively to see if he could help. However, he couldn't help but notice the older man's eye's focus towards the door of the tavern.

Turning slowly towards the door himself, he noted the entrance of the a tall, rather overweight man, with a bald scarred head. Well, well, what have we here, seems my lasted acquaintance knows that rather unattractive fellow, hmm, bet this means trouble.

Looking down at Vito, Rhoddin nodded his head towards the latest entrant to the Tavern. "Friend of yours Vito?" Rhoddins voice indicated he didn't seem to think the man looked too friendly at all.
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

Vito replied slowly with a dry "Not really..."

The human blob made his way to the table, when he arrived it was clear that it was not only fat that surrounded him. A mixture of garlic, filth, union and other eye watering smells extended his reach for at least a other ten feet.

His voice was a bit opposite of his appearance, a squeaky childish voice that said "Sss'hello Vito, S'hello ssstranger.... Vito, you sss'lucky guy, you sss'have been sss'invited. So come with me, sss'as in sss'now..."

He extended his greasy body part to pull Vito from his place. Vito made sure that the blob could not touch his body by moving towards the corner.

"Time to leave Rhoddin." the old man gasped and made a run for it, dashing towards the exit of the inn, panting like a asthmatic rhino...
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Rhoddin
Adventurer

Post by Rhoddin »

The stench of the rotund man reached Rhoddin, making the young bard's eye water a tad with the smell. Phew, not only fat, but stinky to boot, bad combination.

The man's voice caused Rhoddin to re evaluate, it didn't seem to fit the mans physical appearance, and something about his voice seemed strange, maybe it was the accent, but there seemed to almost be a touch of snake about the way he spoke.

As Vito scuttled, well really almost stumbled, for the door, the bard turned to face the smelly intruder, slipping into a half trance, which was coming easier all the time, Rhoddin gathered a small parcel of energy around himself, weaving a simple combination of forces, he directed his conscious thought, and well as his voice at the fat man.

His voice wasn't raised, he did not shout, but imbued his command with the energy he had gathered to himself, "STOP."

It wasn't a difficult command, but he spoke it with the force of the energy he had gathered. Without waiting to see the effect of his command, Rhoddin turned on his heal to follow Vito from the Tavern.

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”