Confession (Prodesse Dominicus, Chryil 23rd, MT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Confession (Prodesse Dominicus, Chryil 23rd, MT)

Post by Guest »

Within the high city center at the middle of town, protected by the old walls that marked the town's limit countless generations ago, sat the Prodesse Dominicus. A great cathedral measuring over a thousand paces long, the cathedral was both a monument of architectural pride as well as religious. With its high, narrow towers pointing regally into the sky and its carved statues and pillars that decorated every face of the magnificent building, the citizens of the city spared no expense to express their deep spirituality to the One with such a magnificent construction.

No buildings were built within a hundred paces of the structure, and few were built that close, for the grounds surrounding the church were as austere as the building itself. Paths of carefully cut stone wound around fountains and gardens, each tended carefully by those that sought to earn the One's favor or blessings. Trees, a rare sight within the city itself, were planted and maintained, giving the grounds an almost lush appearance yet never blocking the view to the great cathedral's glory. The highest point of the city was at the top of one of the cathedral's high parapets, a point topped with the holy symbol of the religion.

And the doors, famous for never being locked, were just that. Visitors came and went at all hours, travellers in need of spiritual guidance, holy inspiration, or just a hot meal. The church never closed its doors, a policy of the current Archbishop, and one that lived today.

I told you that someday we would be together again.

With a steady, determined rhythm, the man walked briskly across a series of gardens leading to the grand entrance of the cathedral before him. It was early Morningtide, and not many people had begun their pilgrimage to the Prodesse yet. Up ahead of him, a group of nuns walked together in a tight-knit group, each carrying a small wooden chest full of articles of clothing. The man passed them by without a word.

You promised that it wasn't the last time we would see each other.

Now at the door, he hesitated for a moment. One deep breath, exhaled... another deep breath. "He will know," he muttered, stepping into the threshold. There were more people inside than he had expected, but none of them seemed to notice his arrival. He glanced across the entrance hall to the farthest corner, noting the presence of a young girl kneeling upon the floor, and a congregation of priests.

And there, off to the side and away from the rest, the entrance to a confessional.

I knew it was wrong. You knew it was wrong. But we didn't know if we would ever see each other again. Was it right?

With a surprisingly loud groan, evident by the number of shocked faces suddenly turned in his direction, Thom Parhelion changed destinations and went around the clustered rows of seating pews and praying pilgrims, stopping before the door of the confessional booth. "He would know. They all would." A nod of his head showed that he had already approved this notion in his mind, and so inside the booth he went.
Morg

Post by Morg »

The cathedral was as impressively vertical within as it was without. All its pillars, vaultings and soaring arches conspired to draw the viewer's gaze upward, as if to contemplate Dominicus himself in his seat on high. If ever there were a building designed to be the house of a god, this was it. Despite this, its interior was somewhat austere. The floor was tiled with interlocking slabs of white and black marble, much like a kemn board.

The ecclesiastical structures in the cities of the Western Kingdom, such as King's Court, were far grander, liberally adorned with golden gilt and paintings of scenes from the Book of the One. Here, in the spiritual heart of the newly Free City of World's Mouth, there were no distractions from the stark beauty of the vertiginous stonework except possibly the muted glow of the pastel-shade stained glass windows. The thinking, presumably, was that Dominicus had far more important things to do with his time than gawk at extravagant frivolities when he was at home.

A line of confessional booths in dark wood stood along the right hand aisle of the nave, against the wall. Sunlight flooded the church through the high windows above the chancel at the east end of the building, although the shadow afforded by the great columns of the nave meant that the aisle where they stood was cool and dark. Inside the booth it was cooler and darker still, and quiet too, more so than the simple curtain separating the confessional from the outside world indicated. The only sound that could be heard was the steady breathing of the priest in the other half of the both, waiting for the words he'd heard so often.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Post by Guest »

Thom was as quiet as a mouse upon entering the booth, his heart already racing with anxiety. He sat down upon the small seat inside and bowed his head, reciting a quick prayer. More than anything, he wanted to be sure that he took care of this matter in the proper manner.

"Good morningtide, Father," he said without expression. "I've come to confess..." He stopped, taking a nervous gulp of fresh air. With his knees pulled up close to his body and his elbows resting on them, he only felt as if the walls of the booth were closing in on him.

Mother knows, but she's promised not to tell him.

Have you told anyone? Do you think you can?

"I've come to confess, Father, a sin. I took part in... I willingly..." He shuffled his feet uneasily. The words were not coming to him, and yet he wondered if he even needed to use them. "My one true love, whom I have not been married to - we had an, ah... intimate relationship." If the priest had indeed been listening, he might notice the sharp exhalation of air following the confession. A burden, so close to being lifted from a young man's shoulders.
Morg

Post by Morg »

The man on the other side of the partition was certainly listening. Upon Thom's exhalation, his steady breathing slowed, and was punctuated by a mournful sigh, before he responded.

"Do you refer to sexual intimacy, my son?" Another pause. His voice was steady and without inflection. "For, as you are no doubt aware, premarital fornication is a mortal sin. And if you have committed this sin with full knowledge of both the sin and the gravity of the offence, then you have chosen eternal isolation from the One Lord, and your soul will descend alone into the Nether upon your death." The whisper of a final word could be heard on the priest's lips as he drew breath. "Unless..."

"Is this the offence that you wish to acknowledge, my son? Reflect carefully on this."
Last edited by Morg on Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution

Post by Guest »

"...then you have chosen eternal isolation from the One Lord, and your soul will descend alone into the Nether upon your death." With a quick, literally knee-jerk reaction, Thom stood up from his seated position and turned towards the small window seperating him from the priest. He opened his mouth to speak, no, shout a protest, but was silenced by a single word.

"Unless..." This single word gave him hope, and he could barely listen and comprehend the last bit of the priest's words to him.

"Unless?!" He cried loudly, frightening himself. "Unless?" He said again, this time much quieter. "Please, sir, I know that I did wrong, but there has to be another way!"
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Oh, there is a way," continued the cleric, in the same matter-of-fact tone. "A path laid down by the One God himself, who in his wisdom declared that all men should have a second chance, no matter how horrible their crimes. And, fortunately for you, it is the simplest way imaginable."

A pause. The man on the other side of the partition did not lift his voice to match Thom's, but nor did he elect to be actively soothing in his approach. "You must hold the memory and the knowledge of what you did within your own mind. You must know - and truly acknowledge - that your actions were sinful and evil. And you must believe that you have merited the terrible punishment it earns you." A new note had crept into his voice now: not angry or lecturing, but afraid.

"And then, with purpose, you must simply confess to me, and request forgiveness. Through me Dominicus is listening, and if you are truly penitent he will lift that great burden of sin from your shoulders as you would brush aside a speck of dust. Such is the power Our Lord commands, and such is his loving kindness." Another pause for effect.

"I am merely an intermediary. I am not granted the means to know what is in your heart. Only the One and you yourself are privy to that knowledge. But should your repentance be genuine, you shall be absolved, and I have faith that the Lord Dominicus will guide me in suggesting penitential acts you may perform to aid the healing of your conscience."

Post by Guest »

As the priest spoke, Thom managed to find the ability to sit down once more. Thoughts began swirling throughout his mind, thoughts of her and him, and of a life doomed to the Nether.

"...the Lord Dominicus will guide me in suggesting penitential acts you may perform to aid the healing of your conscience." The taste of blood woke Thom up to the realization that he had bit nearly clear through his lip, a nervous habit from his childhood. Was he ready for such a monumental decision? On the other hand, what if he stepped out of the booth without asking for forgiveness and was struck down by a passing bandit? Or a freak accident of nature, like a lightning strike or... he soon decided that any incident like that would have been a notice from the One, and clearly not an accident.

"Father." The word was softly spoken, with a hint of desperation. "Father. I confess to you a most unforgivable sin, the sin of premarital relations."

We don't have to do it, Thom. It doesn't have to be now. Her hair was long and dark brown, even more so in this passing daydream. It seemed to sparkle in the light of the moon, cast down through the window near his bed. There they lay close together, his hand stroking her cheek lovingly. If not tonight, when? In the morning you will be gone. Gone, and when to return? She gazed into his eyes with a sad, distant look. I don't know, Thom. I don't know. Now he locked her lips with his in a passionate kiss, the first of many that night. I love you, Sariana. I love you, and always will.

He drifted out of the daydream as quickly as he had entered it, and realized that he had more to say. "But Father, I know with all of my heart that I can be forgiven. I most certainly will do anything to be saved."
Morg

Post by Morg »

The priest remained silent, then, as if discussing Thom's case with Dominicus on some higher plane. It was several painful flickers before he responded.

"Although it is vested in me to declare what you must do to atone, I shall not do so in this case," he stated. "I believe, as do many, that the most valuable of penances are those performed at the sole instigation of the penitent man. Those which he has personally decided upon, and which he will follow with all the strength of his heart and his mind. In short: the decision, and your salvation, lie within yourself. However..." A slight lift in his otherwise monotonous voice. "I believe it would be remiss of me not to make a suggestion. Given the severity of your sin, young man, nothing can earn you forgiveness. Only the immortal heart of our Lord can save you. Nothing else comes close... but should you wish to try nevertheless, I would suggest that you devote the rest of your mortal life to the service of the Church. Little can be more valuable to us than the loyal service of a man whose heart is strong and whose mind is bent on redemption."

He sighed, and shifted audibly in his seat, the bench below him creaking. "But, as I said, the choice is yours. It would be so much better if the impetus and the resolve to do this were to come from you yourself. Either way, I will recite the absolution, for what it is worth - but think upon what I have said."

Post by Guest »

Being of a young age, Thom could not honestly say that he had experienced many moments of extreme coincidence, luck, or even divine intervention. However, the things being told to him by the priest on the other side of the booth seemed to come from the One Himself. Only He could know that he had entered the Prodesse this morningtide, not exactly for confession, but to inquire about joining the Purificatio. Could this be some sort of reassurance, a prodding in the right direction?

"Yes, Father. I think I know what needs to be done. But first, the absolution... if you would." His heart, which had once before been racing with fear and anxiety, was thumping more out of excitement now.
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Of course," replied the priest, and his next words, in the old church tongue, flowed from a mouth that had been shaped and hollowed out by reciting these same words over so many yahren. There was a rhythmic, singsong quality to them.

"Dominus noster Dominicus te absolvat; et ego auctoritate ipsius te absolvo ab omni vinculo excommunicationis suspensionis et interdicti in quantum possum et tu indiges."

A cool breeze blew in at that point, disturbing the stillness of the confession booth and rustling the foot of the curtain. The priest continued.

"Deinde, ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine patris nostri, qui est unus Deus et verus. Amen."

After a few flickers, the priest finished: "Go in the Light, my son."
Morg

Post by Morg »

Archived without skilling.

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”