Lycaeum Library - Chyril 22nd ET

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Gotham Devoue
Civus

Lycaeum Library - Chyril 22nd ET

Post by Gotham Devoue »

Gothams hand wrapped around a staff like object, and the only reason it looked non-offensive was due to the cover that was protecting the blade. Any centaur would have known exactly what it was, but to the common eye, the meaning was completely lost. His fingers traced the carvings that had been made in the smooth wood. The heiroglyphs were the mile stones of a half-horse, half-man. He had happened upon the weapon when he wandered into an abandon tent. The more his touch sensors absorbed the information, the more he wanted to know what went on with this particular life. To the once crusader, he was a protector of life, and now, he seemed to be nothing. He felt that Pan's Isle didn't need him anymore, and maybe that was a great mistake, but, mistakes or not quite wrong if one learns from them.

"Squeek," his little friend mentioned. The staff like item tapped the ground and his feet seemed to start again. His mind had wandered to the past and it was something that he should remember, but tried not to dwell in. His feet moved and moved and he felt like he had been all over the city more than once, but logically was impossible for the small amount of time he had been there for. It didn't matter because eventually he felt the pull of one specific building. He didn't know what the pull was or what it exactly felt like, but it was there and so he drifted in the direction of it.

Suddenly, he was standing in front of a tall building, one that seemed to grow out from the others. He climbed the steps, "Squeek," his squirrel reassured him. "I know, I know," he said out loud, but not too loud to look slightly crazy. The white knight got to the top of the stairs with ease, and once he had made it to the front doors, he knew what he stood outside of - knowledge. Gotham felt the need to rush inside, but he didn't. He opened the door and closed it behind him. Standing inside of the Lycaeum Library he felt better already. His eyes scanned from book to book, from shelf to shelf and had a lost look on his face. The truth was, he didn't know where to start.
"Protect life... until death."
--Leeloo, The Fifth Element.

Avatar by Ashari with stock photo of [url=http://www.myspace.com/jamesson]Jamesson[/url].
Morg

Post by Morg »

Large the Lycaeum Library certainly was. Several storeys high, it towered above almost all structures in its vicinity, with only the Prodesse Dominicus itself overtopping it. Its entrance hall was impressive, too, marble columns leading down to a desk at the far end, with a blonde-haired adhiel sitting behind it. At the time of Gotham's ingress, the place was empty; eveningtide wasn't the Lycaeum's busiest period.

Titles floated in front of his eyes. An Impartial Account of the Red Rivers Outrage, a small volume appropriately bound in red. Tales of Tor and the Elder Northern Gods, larger, weatherbeaten. Racial Conflict in Modern Day Kislovan: A Western Perspective, which appeared to have several pages missing. Smuggling and the Economy, a much-thumbed tome.

A large man, the cuff of his white robe spattered with midnight blue ink, was approaching, so silently that Gotham would have had no chance to notice his approach were it not for his experience on Pan's Isle. He didn't seem interested in the books, however. His eyes, set deep into his broad face, were fixed on the staff Gotham held in his hand. Eventually he spoke. "I apologise for my forwardness, signore," he started hesitantly, "but is that a Centauri artifact you have there?"
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Gotham Devoue
Civus

Post by Gotham Devoue »

The once white knight of the Oneist legions was converted to a panling. It didn't really cross his mind that he had betrayed his own people and god to help the heathens, and heathens he never thought they were. They were people, adhiel, who just wanted to live and let live. He had gone to the isle in the hopes of converting as many as possible, but it back fired and aided them in their rebellion against the people he had journeyed there with.

Gotham took a deep breath in and old and new aromas of wood and books seeped into his senses. It was a reassuring feeling, since it was a world he always wanted to experience. His life, as it stood, never directed him in the right direction to value something this much, and maybe that was the reason he did. Regardless of where he stood and how he felt, he was living his life in the moment, and little could take it away.

He muttered, "Outrage, Northern Gods, Kisloven, Smug," and stopped. His hand was already reaching for the Tales of Tor and the Elder Northern Gods tome when an unfamiliar voice caught him off guard. Gotham instantly kicked himself in the ass for letting his awareness escpae him for even just a moment, and that he had somehow let the panlings down with everything they had taught him. The blonde-haired human brushed the emotion off not to alarm his fluffy friend, and focused on the incident at hand.

"Not everyone would call this an artifact," the panling replied a little saddened. "How do you know what this is?" Gotham asked suspiciously. "Not to be rude, but, who are you?"

Avatar by Ashari with stock photo of [url=http://www.myspace.com/jamesson]Jamesson[/url].
Morg

Post by Morg »

"I'm sorry," the big man replied immediately in the same deep tones, evidently a little abashed. "Where are my manners... I am Milanas. I work here, at the Lycaeum. I'm its Head Curator, so it is my life's work to collect objects of cultural significance for our collection. Hence my excitement at seeing the arti... thing that you hold." He smiled apologetically.

"I'm not at all sure what it is, though," he confessed. "Just recognised the symbols as originating in the Centauri culture. I was hoping you might be able to tell me more about it..."

The bulky man shifted his considerable weight from one foot to another. He clearly had a fair few other questions on his tongue, but was now somewhat reluctant to ask them given the suspicious response he'd received. "I should learn to curb my enthusiasm," he continued uncomfortably. "But, all the same, I would be very grateful for anything you would deign to share with me about it."

Squeaker had no opinion on the matter. The squirrel was settled into a comfortable spot in Gotham's pack, and was periodically chirping contentedly. The quiet, slightly soporific atmosphere of the Lycaeum had calmed the little creature considerably, or so it seemed.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Gotham Devoue
Civus

Post by Gotham Devoue »

"You keep your enthusiasm, however, I will learn to curb my suspicion," he said with a bright smile. "I have spent far too long worrying about others and myself that I find it easier to assume people don't always mean the best intentions. Either way, I apologize for my response," he said a little sullenly.

"I'm Gotham," he noted, sticking his hand out to shake the other man's. "Your holding your tongue," the white knight put the curator on the spot. He quickly saved them from an awkward silence asking, "Is there somewhere we can further our conversation and actually discuss this artifact and maybe even compare some history?"

Morg

Post by Morg »

"I've spent far too long worrying about only myself, and not considering other people's intentions at all," returned the curator ruefully.

He extended a meaty hand, the sort of hand that would have seemed more suited to a pugilist were it not marked with numerous blue-black ink stains, and shook Gotham's. "Of course, yes... I have an office upstairs. If you would like to follow me...?" If Gotham chose to follow, the librarian would lead him up a narrow spiral staircase, then through a bewildering array of passages and further staircases until finally they arrived at a solid door with a plaque on it marked "B. Milanas: Head Curator".

The room beyond seemed as packed with various items as the shelves about the place were with books. A rack near the door held various pieces of metal that looked as if they might, just might, be able to be assembled into some sort of armour - although who would have worn such a piece of work, with its cruel spikes and serrated edges, was another question entirely.

The bizarre plating was just the beginning of the assortment of oddities that filled the room, including eggs that looked like they were made of stone, curved claws that were longer than a broadsword, and the skulls of various implausible-looking creatures. The office seemed at first glance to contain nothing that seemed quite normal, yet closer inspection of this chaotic collection revealed two worn-looking, ink-stained armchairs to one side of the room. The librarian sank into one and motioned for Gotham to take the other.

"If I might ask," he ventured, "were you on Pan's... Aveas yourself?"
Gotham Devoue
Civus

Post by Gotham Devoue »

The retired crusader didn't hesitate even a flicker and he feet were already shuffling in the direction the curator was heading. Gotham, for one reason or another, was quite excited to see the curator's office. He didn't know if was the knowledge he might be able to share with the young lad, or if was the fascinating objects that he could only imagine. Regardless, they were climbing staircases and turning corners before the blonde haired man could even blink.

As they entered the room, Gotham's eyes darted to the armor, and to the massive claws, and then to the skulls. All his hands wanted to do was pick one up and smooth his fingers over the white bone, but he held his composure and sat where instructed. His leg began to bounce and jitter and he concentrate for only a half a flicker and the impulse to move stopped. Contain yourself man!

Oh, good, conversation. Something, anything to take my mind off this, his blue eyes attempting to take everything in at once. "First and foremost, it will always be Pan's Isle to me. Second, yes, I was. I was sent on a mission with the Purificato's Army of the One as a converter to sway the minds of the adhiel. It didn't take long for my eyes to be open to the true direction of why we were sent, to slaughter them all - warriors, marksmen, farmers, woman, children. Lets just say that I switched sides and gave the Oneists a run for their money. I am sad to say that my efforts went in vain since a friend of mine and myself had to bargain at the Citadel for a tiny portion of the island to be undisturbed. And that's practically how it went."

"Anyway," he said before he stood up. Removing the guard from the weapon he said, "Sometimes I wish something this beautiful wasn't used for what it's made purpose." The curved metal was a foreboding of death and surely it had claimed enough lives. It reflected light from the candles and sent beams to the floor and ceiling. His hand suddenly released the leather sheath and it made a pathetic sound when it his the ground. The markings on the shaft were still mint and each little piece was special to everyone and no one.

Getting close enough so the man could see the delicate carvings, Gotham began. "I've dubbed this a Memory Staff. I never got to ask what it actually was called since I kinda stole it from an abandon tent. And before you say anything about stealing it, the tent was really abandon, there was a dead mouse in the stone, cold soup, so they weren't coming back for anything," he waited for the man to interject anyway.

Feeling safe to continue, he did. "Each marking is a mile-stone in the centaur's life. First hunting kill, puberty, tribal challenges. However, what each marking actually is - I have no idea. I don't know how to read centau-" and something miraculous dawned on the once white knight. "My brain works so slow some days. Happen to have any texts with how to learn Centauri? Or can you speak it yourself?"

Morg

Post by Morg »

The curator made no comment on the young man's explanation of how he'd acquired the weapon. By that point he was already leaning forward and craning his thick neck to see the marks on the blade without taking his one of his wide eyes out in the process. It was Gotham's frank discussion of how he'd switched allegiances that provoked a reaction from the bulky man. He drew breath sharply, although with no sign of disapproval.

"I'd advise being careful who you tell that story to," he interjected in a serious tone. "It's not only the Purificatio who believe that the mission on Pan's Isle was a holy one. Through the propaganda being put about by the Council, the common people now believe it fervently, too. I suggest you at least pretend to still be a believer, or you will make many enemies very quickly."

When Gotham finished, though, enthusiasm was shining in Milanas's eyes. "Yes, yes! I... can't speak it myself, but my predecessor here spent a little time on the Isle. One of his primers might be on the shelves, though..." The curator leapt up and made his way to a bookcase, displacing a pile of colourfully painted knucklebones onto the floor as he rifled through. "...Ah. Here we have it."

He lifted down a dog-eared book with the title etched into the cover: ETTUKLAN'KKA: Concerning Our Friends the Centaurs. "Ah, yes," Milanas murmured, bringing it down and resting it on top of a carved wooden box on a table between him and Gotham. "This one includes more than a few transliterations and definitions." Frowning, he added "Some of it is in Adhiel. Typical. But perhaps we can make some sense of those markings anyway."

Indeed, the book was rather haphazardly structured, with hieroglyphs drawn in the margins and notes scattered around them. And every fourth sentence was in Adhiel. But the symbols were certainly similar to those engraved on the staff.
Gotham Devoue
Civus

Post by Gotham Devoue »

"I appreciate the advice, but according to the men at the gate I am a member of the Purificato's Army of the One and that's the image I left them with. I am simply returning from Pan's Isle in search of a new life," the the blue eyed male reassured. He didn't want to give out his true plan of coming back to World's Mouth until his new allies comprehend what they were getting into. In a world of lies and deception, ignorance is bliss.

Gotham couldn't keep the smile off his face once he knew that they might be able to translate the shaft. It was something that the retired crusader wanted to know and understand. For some reason he thought that it would just concrete his self-induced mission and drive him that much more. Regardless, he had met a very interesting person on the way to his destination.

He snapped back to reality and caught the end of adhiel and waited for the curator to cease speaking. "If only I learned to read adhiel while I fumbled my way through speaking it," he shook his fist in the air. Although the man was being much more dramatic than needed, he thought the situation was simply amusing. He knew that the foreign language wouldn't stop the curator from piecing it together, and Gotham would rather spend time and tedious work translating each symbol than having someone simply voice the solution. The man considered both sides of the equation, and weighed the pros and cons of each. He sat and watched the man diligently work on the enigma and his leg started to bounce up and down again. "Anything I can do but sit here?" he asked patiently. As Gotham peered around the room once more he wondered if the curator had had any of this stolen or if he acquired it all legitimately.
Last edited by Gotham Devoue on Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morg

Post by Morg »

"Oh, by all means pile in," Milanas stated distractedly. "Most of it's in Human, after all. And if you can speak the Adhiel language... you'll get the hang of it. Here... it starts with three symbols, linked together, and then a fourth."

Indicating a point at the top of the glaive, next to the blade, he leafed through the book until he found the first one, a jagged horizontal line. By it was a scrawled sentence in Human. "Ässy, representing the element of fire; flame in general; aspects of heat."

Repeating the process for the other three symbols at the top of the stave, Milanas frowned. "Ässype'pa u. Fire... and then an intensifying particle, so great fire, maybe... and then a particle meaning 'like'... and then a space, and a pronoun. 'I', or 'me'." He sighed, and then a thought struck him. "Of course! 'I, like-great-fire'... it's his name! Or her name, of course."

Translating the rest of the etchings proved to be an equally painstaking task, but within the mark the two of them had managed to get the gist of most of it. Everything Haly the faun had said was true. Ässype'pa had been born in the yahren 1185, and received the spear from his father upon attaining adulthood. He'd accompanied the hunt that day, slaying an escaped ttraulan (dark adhiel), and had gone on to be a true asset to his tribe. If the somewhat cursive messages on the script were to be believed, he had attracted the attention of more than one centaur-mare. Soon he had been granted the right to construct his own tent, and had done so with Enissuru, whose name translated as Daybringer. A yahren later she bore him a centaur-foal, and a yahren later another, during which time the tribe had moved about considerably.

It was around this point that the first mention of Mouthies could be found. The records of Ässype'pa's kills began to include the occasional "westerner". Then tragedy had struck. One spring... not all the dates had been preserved... the second centaur foal had been killed ässyurukssur'pan, with a fire-weapon. Shortly afterwards his mate had died, with no cause cited.

After that the entries were even briefer and seemingly further between than before. The last symbol was cryptic, but seemed to indicate that Ässype'pa had become some sort of elder or senior member of the tribe. Below that the shaft of the weapon was smooth, a blank canvas.
Gotham Devoue
Civus

Post by Gotham Devoue »

Gotham's mind shifted through the faces he had seen on his venture through the isle. He couldn't recall any centaurs, but the one he had met at the gate. The once crusader racked his mind to remember what he looked like and if this weapon belonged to the horse-man. As the curator and Gotham unraveled the creature's life, the white knight was absorbed in the story of him. When the tale turned for the worst, fury flared through the mans heart. He didn't understand why people would devastate such a docile civilization, and the traitor to the One would find out the underlining truth.

The blue eyes that sat above the man's cheekbones looked normal, for the rage didn't reach them. Gotham snatched a blank sheet of parchment off the table along with a quill. Holding the feather he slowly wrote a question down as to not confuse anyone. He folded the paper in half and handed it to the master librarian. The mouthie would have voiced his inquiry, but the repercussions of uttering such a thing would surely give Gotham a death sentence, and he did not want anyone to be caught in the cross fire.

The note read, "Who do I talk to to make the Purificato of the One permanent history?"

Morg

Post by Morg »

Milanas unfolded the note slowly and scanned its contents, and his face softened in pity. "I could ask you the same thing," he replied sadly. "For all my knowledge, I'm just a librarian in the end. That's the path I chose. You, however, have many more paths open to you."

The curator sighed. "I guess what I'm saying is that I can't answer your question, although I can speak for us all here in stating that this organisation would welcome and support any attempt to do what you're suggesting." While he spoke, though, he was writing on the note, below Gotham's question. When he handed it back, it bore a man's name.

An over-inked hand wrote:VINCENZO DI VAIO

"You might want to start looking in the Flying Dortman. I've heard he's there some eveningtides," the Head Curator continued. "And I'm not sure that this man will want to help you. But it is all I can offer at present, I'm afraid."

(OOC: If you want to start a thread with Vinnie, feel free to PM him and get it set up.)
Gotham Devoue
Civus

Post by Gotham Devoue »

"Thank you," Gotham said in quite a respectful tone. Pivoting his arm so he could reach the candle, the man held the scrawled note over the flame until the destructive energy jumped to the parchment. Holding his hand under the falling ash, he saw the name Vincenzo Di Vaio fade away into the debris and committed the words to memory.

"It is the best you can offer at this time, and for that I am more than pleased. You could have had nothing to include me in, so I supposed beggars can't be choosers, right?" the fair skinned man laughed. "Either way it seems that no one wants them around anymore and if I can help I will do what my ability allows me. There was much unfinished business on Pan's Isle and I'm willing to settle the debt in World's Mouth," his facial expressions had changed from discussional to tactical. Gotham's mind was already working out a plan, and it was plan b he had to consider, and maybe even plan c. If he learned nothing else from his ventures on other lands he learned that nothing goes according to plan.

"What common details can you tell me about the Purificatio of the One? Such as who's in charge, and what they do now that the war is over."

Morg

Post by Morg »

"The High Inquisitor is a man named Ottavio Alphonse Binalde," the Curator responded. "Tales have been told of his zealotry in King's Court, although I don't know how much is fact and how much is fiction. Their second in command would be Inquisitor Sarreth Belvourne. He was High Inquisitor in the past, but they say he resigned the position recently. You may have heard of him." While Ottavio was famed, Belvourne's exploits against the darkness in the name of the One God were the stuff of legend.

"There are perhaps another seven or eight Inquisitors, and five times as many Confessors," the bulky man continued, much happier now. Factual information was certainly not something he was uncomfortable with. "And then there's the Army of the One. The legion's based at the Belvourne Barracks in Highton itself. Most of it's underground, in the foundations and cryptworks of the Prodesse Dominicus Cathedral. As to what they're doing..."

Milanas sighed. "Not much, is the answer. Since their betrayal on Pan's Isle, they've fallen out of power and out of favour." The message in the Head Curator's eyes was as clear as if spoken. Now is the perfect time to strike at them. "They've been trying to rebuild their strength and their influence, and with the funds from the Pact of the Army of God they are well on the way to doing so. I heard they moved against a minor daemon in the sewers recently, and they keep trying to persecute the residents of the Elf Quarter. A 'dangerous' cult of the Mother was rooted out recently. But for the most part they have been keeping a much lower profile than before the War."
Gotham Devoue
Civus

Post by Gotham Devoue »

"If you are unsure about Vincenzo, than maybe that is a route I shouldn't even bother with. It seems that I might be able to sway the daemon or even get some of the adhiel on my side, and that would be time worth spent. However, I still don't know exactly how to unravel their organization - and that is the best contemplation of them all," he said a little sullenly. Gotham didn't know how to take down the massive, well-protected army of Dominicus, and he would need all the help he could get. Pan's Isle fell to the mercy of the Oneists, and they lost, even with all of the crusaders efforts. The more he racked his brain the more it didn't seem fair, nor did the slaughtering of His people, but Gotham considered it life, and then considered the notion once again.

"You say Belvourne has retired, would you happen to know if they are looking for a replacement? For whatever reason, I need to get in there, and getting a tour of their workings would not be a bad way to start. The depressing part about this entire ordeal is the sheer fact that it's going to take time, and it's the only thing I don't have," his empathy spiking the charts of frustration. If the curator was an empath than he would have sensed it, but from meer facial expressions Gotham gave nothing.

The panling turned his head at the sound of scratching and knew exactly what, or rather who, it was. After he walked over to the bag, the knight opened it and Squeaker came dashing up his arm to sit on his shoulder. Looking at the master librarian Gotham said, "Two heads are always better than one?" with a confused yet determined shrug.

The man paced back and forth in front of the curator. Gotham remained silent for several burns oblivious to the world. He was in deep thought and needed more information.

"Tell me about the daemon. Anything that is known would be a tremendous help."

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Milanas arched an eyebrow at Gotham, who would be unable to determine whether or not the man felt his emotions "I would presume so, from the ranks of the Confessors." He hoped the young man was wiser than to think that he could move so fast up the ranks that he'd easily slide into place. Frustration born from Impatience. It is a sign of the young.

There was a little bowl of nuts on the table, the kind thoughtlessly chewed on while musing over books. Squaker eyed the collection unashamedly while Gotham talked with the curator, greed filling him.

Calmly Milanas answered the crusader turn coat "I am hardly an expert on daemons nor has the Purificatio seen fit to inform the Lyceam on their findings. They hord their information most jealously. There is power in knowledge... and ignorance in ones enemies."
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Gotham Devoue
Civus

Post by Gotham Devoue »

"Well if that's the case, I guess I will just have to go and seek out this daemon and see what he is up to. What is the name he goes by?"

"It also seems that if I want this all to work, the adhiel might play a major role in this plot. I will need a distraction for whatever I plan, and their odds and cunning, they would be the best bet. I do suppose I could do it a bit more stealthily, however, one is easily caught when the eyes are fixed on the immediate area."

Gotham's mind worked for several flickers and it had come to a conclusion. He stood up and said, "I thank you for all that you have done, however I must be going. You know, people to see and allies to gain."

And with that the man was off to the sewers.

Morg

Post by Morg »

"The daemon has been referred to by many names, as tends to be the case with their kind," Milanas replied reluctantly. "The one I am aware of is... Righteous." He lapsed into silence, eyes flicking to Squeaker.

Many things crossed the Head Curator's mind as Gotham departed, but he chose to speak none of them except a simple "May you walk in the Light". Top of the list of things left unsaid was a warning about the lesser of two evils. If he understood the man correctly, Gotham was planning to ally himself with the daemon to fight the Purificatio... a dubious choice, to his mind.

Still, daemons we can fight. Institutional tyranny in the form of the Purificatio is more of a threat to this organisation. Oracle, I hope I have used your information wisely.

(OOC: Fin! :)

I'm very sorry you've been waiting so obscenely long for a resolution to this; World's Mouth is in a tricky situation as far as modding is concerned. We'll soon be closing the location entirely, so feel free to PM me, Maeve or Turi if you want to discuss how to proceed.

Locked for skilling!)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled :)

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”