Northbridge - Entrance to World's Mouth (Chyril 23rd)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Morg

Northbridge - Entrance to World's Mouth (Chyril 23rd)

Post by Morg »

Famed Northbridge.

Despite the great width and strength of the Upper Scillus River, a great span of stone was built that connected the city of World's Mouth to all points north in the Western Kingdom; a kingdom from which the Mouth had recently declared its independence. Over twenty paces wide and not quite half a marker in length, the great bridge was an architectural achievement of both engineering and artistry. High enough to allow passage of some of the more mundane river ships and barges, the bridge was crowned every fifty paces by a great arch of sculpted stone depicting great personalities of perhaps this city's history. At all tides of the day, traffic could be found upon this great span, traffic of merchants, travellers, and local farmers bringing their wares into the city's great bondhouses.

On the southern end of the bridge, the city of World's Mouth opened up like a dark, hazy forest of tall, majestic buildings. A thin layer of dirty smoke lingered over the city at all times, choking out the stars above and casting much of the city into a near twilight at all times. The river, cut into the city in several small canals, was dark as night and moved with a slow, regal flow down towards the distant Mer de la Luna to the west. As far as the eye could see, the south bank of the Upper Scillus was a great urban mass, lined and developed with river wharves, canals, and riverfront industries, with foul vapours reaching up in the night, floating like mist over the water.

There to greet incoming traffic were members of the legion Neuvelairre, the Red Coats. Underneath the crimson red surcoats that gave the legion its name, they were dressed professionally, though they wore bright colours and freshly washed clothes over carefully trimmed goatees and wide, decorative hats, each bearing a great plume dyed the colour of the sunset. Now that they were not just guarding the entrance to a city but to a nation, their vigilance had gone up. The legionnaires questioned everybody vigorously, demanding names, where they came from and what religion they held to. Above all, of course, they wanted to know what business brought them to the glorious free city of World's Mouth.

Today was Wydday, 23nd of Chyril, a few days into spring. The weather was bright and still, and the air was heavy and humid, meaning that rapid movement was a sweaty business. Despite this, and as ever, many people were out and about on the city's streets. They chatted animatedly as they worked and walked.

"Did you hear about Severo Lo Russo? The Home Guard came for him yesterday eveningtide. Locked him up in Caer Doom!"

"He won't stay there long," came a confident reply. "Manacles can't hold a Snake, that's what I always say."

An upcoming event was on many lips. "My husband managed to get me a ticket to that Wild Magic show this evening," a plump, well-dressed woman was boasting. "The Ghearan College mages are performing. I can't wait to see what they'll have conjured up for us!"

There was worry on many faces, too. The reason for this was easy to ascertain. "The Villa Constanza burned down in the night," muttered a voice. "Or rather it was burned down. Can't have been an accident. It'll be the Red Rivers Outrage all over again. Vendetta."

This last word seemed to proclaim itself silently from every street corner.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Post by Guest »

World's Mouth, the place the captain had left him, and the place Rico would eventually start his pirating once again....after he gets in with a crew, of course. He didn't feel ready for a ship of his own yet. He did not have the experience or the money needed for a ship and sundries. The experience and skill training would come with time and money also. Luckily enough Rico had been taught a bit about gambling and took to it. He thought he was pretty good at it, he didn't lose all his money to the cheating pirates. He could also do labor jobs and other kinds of work if needed. The thought of working at a shipyard repairing ships even crossed his mind, but ever so briefly.

He headed toward the entrance of the city, hoping he didn't attract much more attention than anyone else would. He wanted to avoid any negative confrontations until a more suitable time.

Once Rico came upon the bridge and saw it for the first time it seemed as if he was coming out of a trance. He was in awe at the size of the bridge and how ornate it was. He had never seen a stone bridge in person before, let alone one that was this big and appealing.

After getting acquainted with the look and feel of the bridge Rico moved on and soon came upon the guards who looked to be greeting and questioning those trying to gain entrance. He wasn't thrilled that he would be asked his purpose and had to think of something quickly before they were able to say anything. It was best if Rico wasn't standing there thinking of a lie while the guards were impatiently waiting for him to say something.

Rico figured he would tell the guards the truth, well part of it at least. It was easier for him to tell partial truths than to outright lie at this point in his life. He felt it best to leave out the pirating pieces and his real intentions of entering the city. It would be better for the guards to figure out what Rico was up to when he was out on the water too far to be chased or looked for.

Once he reached the guards Rico straightened up his appearance a little and when speaking kept things as short as he could while still informing the guards of the fake plans he had just concocted. "My name is Rico. I disembarked in this area from a fleet of military ships. I was a hostage to a pirate. If possible, I do not wish to speak of how I was treated and what happened. I would like to enter the city for a while, get a few brews and some training, if possible, before I am on my way again." Rico waited uncomfortably for a response from the guards. He hoped his uncomfortablenss didn't show on him as much as he thought it did.

Rico quickly flashed the guards somewhat of a half smile as he thought it may help make the process of entering easier for him. Rico was far too preoccupied on what to say if his story was questioned than to give a hearty looking smile.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Fortunately for Rico, the guards seemed far more interested in keeping the traffic moving than in questioning what the new arrivals had to say. If his discomfort was noticed, the middle-aged guard at the gate seemed to put it down to the unpleasantness of the hostage situation he'd been in.

Giovanni made sure that the young scribe at his side was taking note of what Rico was saying, but otherwise just nodded understandingly. "That's fine. We're not here to interrogate you," he stated. "As soon as you tell us your occupation and your religion, you can go right in and get yourself a beer or two at the Ranley Tavern or the Flying Dortman."

Beside Rico, a cart of starved-looking adhiel in poor clothes was waiting to enter the city, and the leader of their number was having some sort of argument with the Neuvelairre sergeant. Many of those on the wagon were children, and looked too weak to even be aware of what was happening around them.
Last edited by Morg on Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution

Post by Guest »

Rico smiled becoming happy at the fact that entering the city was so easy. "I follow the teachings of Dominicus. "

If that includes asking for help when needed and calling out to him in curses. He thought to himself.

"I work as a deckhand from one ship to another." Rico answered. "Whoever pays the most."

Rico shot a glance over to the cart and felt sorry for the adhiel. He knew what it is like to have to go without food and how cruel the world can be. He was stuck on the thought of helping the kids and the person arguing with the sergeant, if possible.

"What's the argument about?" Rico says while pointing a finger over to the sergeant and the person charged with caring for the adhiel. "Can they not get into the city?"
Morg

Post by Morg »

Giovanni smiled. "That's all I needed to know. Thank you, signore." The young scribe finished writing, and handed the older guard a permit, which he passed to Rico. "This is your ticket into the Free City of World's Mouth. May you walk in the Light."

At Rico's question, Giovanni sighed. Only just arrived, and he's already sticking his nose into other people's business. He'll have to learn the hard way, I guess. "They are being advised against it," he replied wearily. "They claim to have been expelled during the pagan purges a few months back, and now they want to return, after having spent the winter in Pax Balthasar. The thing is, their house, if they had one, will have been sold on, so they have nothing to come back to. And the city can't support them."

So there are the facts. He can make what he likes of that. As for us, we're just doing what we've been told.

(OOC: Technically, you're not supposed to start new threads in the city until you've been through the entrance thread, but as it has done no harm I'll let it slide. Enjoy your new thread with Nemesis, and in any case, you are now cleared to enter!)

Post by Guest »

(OOC: Oh sorry about that. Won't happen again.)

"Alright then." Rico replied to the man. Probably best if I mind my own business anyway. He thought to himself as he entered the city, heading towards a tavern and later to the docks.
Morg

Post by Morg »

"Have a good day, signore," Giovanni called after Rico, before sighing and moving to the next person in the line. Across from him, the Neuvelairre sergeant had finally given up trying to persuade the adhiel arrivals otherwise, and the wagon with its dispossessed cargo rolled onward into the city. The bridge was clear for new arrivals.
Last edited by Morg on Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Archived with no skills awarded.

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”