To the docks! [Chyril 23rd ET]

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

To the docks! [Chyril 23rd ET]

Post by Guest »

Rico was surprised at how humid the days, and even the nights, were in World's Mouth. He heard it was going to rain later in the evening and hoped it would come sooner instead of later. His body was conditioned for the ocean. Some days were hot, but the booze and breeze made it bearable in the least. The tiny drops of moisture that lined his face from just walking showed to the natives that he was not from around town.

Rico was walking toward the docks. He figured that since no captains would set sail right before a storm it would be a good time to find a crew on a ship of ill repute. He had no idea of how he was going to actually get on one of the said ships or to find a captain that would admit to a complete stranger what his real intentions were, but he knew he would find a way. Maybe there was a place on the docks where they met.

Rico headed in the direction of water and knew the docks had to be near. After a few minutes he found his way over and began his search. He knew he had to be careful because he asked the wrong person a wrong question he'd be in trouble. Same as if he just wandered onto different vessels.

He looked around the area for somewhere to go. He tried to remember what his purpose was, but it was hard for him to show or find any confidence within him at this moment.

Rico had hoped he would find someone right when he came upon the docks, but he didn't think it would actually work that way. And when it didn't work he wasn't discouraged. He knew it was evening and most sailors would probably be throwing back a few beers.

Perhaps there were a few of the crew who weren't in favor of the captains and were ordered to watch the ships. He could ask them a few questions, but he would have to think of which ones to ask when the time came.

Not letting that stop him, Rico continued his search ever hopeful that he would find someone that would point him in the correct direction.
Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

Despite Northbridge being a predominately industrial area with its modernized amenities, Rico could tell the docks were close. The sound of gulls calling overhead was a sure sign that Rico wasn't too far off. Also the pungent aroma of salt, sweat, and fish bore evidence that the docks were indeed very close. If he were to follow the direction in which he was going he would reach them in due time.

Around him some of the locals were preparing for the oncoming storm. To the left there was a woman with her children carrying in what looked like extra food in case the storm was a strong one that would keep them indoors for a long period of time. To his right there was a shop owner telling one of the hired help to hurry up and board up the store front with much protest.

"Hurry up and get with it," the owner barked out to the kid who could be no more than fifteen. The shop owner had once lost everything because he wasn't prepared for what he thought wasn't going to be a severe storm. The storm proved to be a monster that year, and his lack of preparation had caused him to lose almost everything. Needless to say whenever the wind was exceptionally strong, or the skies darker than what he thought to be normal, he would go through this routine. Much to the folly of the other merchants who found him to be rather paranoid.
I see the future, and the future is bleeding.

Post by Guest »

Rico watched all the hustle and bustle of the city. He had to try very hard to hold back laughter with how some people were preparing for the oncoming storm, especially this store owner. The store reminded him of when he tried to make a fortress when he was young. Although his fortress would have provided little protection against a storm with just cloth sheets over the windows and door frame. Rico should have taken some lessons from this man when he was young on how to windproof the fortress.

Rico soon got an idea, hopefully a good one. Rico's idea was to help the man board up the shop and see if perhaps he had any information that would help Rico on his cause.

Trying to get a word in between the shop owner ordering to the child around Rico eventually managed to get out enough words to make a sentence, although a short one. "Need extra help?"

Rico had hoped that his shoddy attire would let the shop owner know that he was not interested in money at this particular moment.
Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

The sound of Rico's voice was a refreshing breathe of air for the man. Many of the locals gave him a hard time about his paranoia and no one ever offered their assistance to him when he boarded up his shop to prepare for 'the big one'. It was a ritual he would perform at the slightest hint of stormy weather for the past three yahren.

"Yes, yes yes," the shop owner replied happily. He wiped the perspiration off of his brow with the back of his hand. "You can never be too safe when it comes to protecting your wares, and help is hard to come by." Then he offered out his hand in order to shake the welcomed stranger.

A merchant a few stalls down called out in jest at Joseph, whom was often referred to as 'Crazy 'Joe' for his obsessive compulsive nature. Joe ignored the taunt like he would usually do.

"Do you have a name mister," he then asked before barking out more commands to the kid, who was probably his son.

Post by Guest »

Rico gripped the hand of the shop owner's in his own, shaking it tightly, showing the man that Rico was indeed glad to have met him. Rico just nodded to the man after he finished speaking because Rico did not know what to say to him. That was a problem for Rico at times. He never really connected to people all that much, only to a select few.

"Rico." Rico replied while ignoring the sound of another man's jest coming from a few stalls down. Rico wasn't sure if he should have told the man his real name or a fake, but that was too late now to change now. Besides. He thought. I'm not too great of a liar.

"Where do you need me to start?" Rico asked the man while looking over the shop observing what has been done and what hasn't. Rico hoped to finish up quick and see what the shop owner knew and what he could get out of him.
Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

"Nice to meet you Rico," replied the almost frantic sounding man. "You can start by helping the boy tie down the two carts... and then... then you can... You can help him bring the rest of smaller items inside." He ran a rough looking hand through his tussled hair and let out a small sign of relief.

Nothing about Rico appeared to be any different to the shop owner, and to be honest, he was relieved that Rico had shown up to offer his assistance. A few flickers later darkening sky was briefly illuminated by bright arcs of lightning which was soon followed by the distant hum of thunder. Small drops of rain began to fall around them.

"They can make all the jokes they want," Renaldo said to no one in particular, "but this could be a big one."

Post by Guest »

Rico just nodded as the store owner instructed him on what to do while he ran over to the two carts to help the boy turn them over. He could see the bright yellow streaks of lightning, hear the loud boom of thunder in close proximity of the docks, and wanted to get out of the weather as quickly as he could. Getting wet from the rain did not bother Rico, but the cold from it did.

Once Rico started flipping over the carts he was surprised to find that they were actually quite heavy even with the two of them helping each other. At least it was easy to push the cart on its side and then push the top of it on to the ground gently, so as to not damage them.

After the two carts were turned over Rico hurriedly brought in the smaller items. He ran from item to item, until his hands were full, to the shop handing each item to the shop owner to be put away. Rico didn't know where anything went and he did not want to put someone else's things away anyway.
Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

It didn't take long for Rico and Renaldo's son to secure the carts and to get the smaller things safely inside. As the two finished up small gusts of wind began to blow by. The breeze that blew by would never be considered anything more than a small gust of wind. A look to the sky would reveal that the moon was starting to peek out from a lazy cloud cover. As bolts of lightning raced through the sky, one could see that the nighttime sky was actually clearing up.

"Dad will have me up early to undo all of this madness in the morning," the boy whispered softly to Rico in order for his father not to hear. "The townsfolk are right, he is batty," a grin parted his lips when he was finished. A few flickers later Renaldo joined the two offered his thanks to Rico. He peered up at the sky before speaking. If in fact the storm was to be nothing more than an evening shower, Ren, as he was sometimes called would probably dismiss it as the calm before the storm.

"Thank you for your help Mister," he said breaking his moment of silence. "I don't have much to pay you for your help, mister" he then added. Not only was he paranoid about the weather, he was also a banner pincher.

"I can give you some good advice though since you seem to be new to the area. I can tell you were to rest your head and a spot to wet your whistle. I can even clue you in to where the lady folk are if that would be what you were looking for."

Post by Guest »

Rico chuckled to himself as he finished helping the boy put away the items and secure the carts.It was funny to him that as long as you were prepared for something it would never happen, but the moment you were not prepared all hell would break loose.

The words of the man who shouted at the store owner came back into Rico's mind. It would seem they were right about him being a bit nutty when it came down to weather, but Rico figured that the man probably had his reasons.

He was soon brought back to reality by the boy's voice reminding him of where he was. Rico smiled at the boy when he called his father batty. "I am sure he means well." Rico said to the boy in the same quiet tone that the boy used noticing that Renaldo was approaching.

"I do not plan on staying here long. I need but one thing if you can help." Rico said while stepping in close to Renaldo so that he and the boy were the only ones that could hear. "I need information on how to become a crew member on a pirate's ship. Here or elsewhere if need be"

Rico regretted the words he said once they left his mouth. He was not one with words, but he knew he could have done a bit better than to blurt it all out. He hoped that this would not turn out sour. Rico did not want to have to hurt anyone, but if Renaldo tried for the authorities things might get ugly, for whom he did not know.
Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

"Ahhh, so you wish to travel on the open seas do ya," answered with a slight chuckle. "The life on the seas is not one for me though friend. That much I guess is pretty obvious since I own this land based establishment here. But I do know of someplace you can check out if that it what suits your fancy," the shop owner added.

He put a rough looking hand under his chin as he thought of places for Rico to check out. Renaldo knew the city almost inside and out, in his mind that is if nothing else. Coincidentally as a laud thunderclap went off overhead the place became clear in his mind.

"The Dockrose Tavern my friend," he replied with the pointer finger of his right hand pointing skyward as if he had made some great discovery. "That is
where you might be able to find what you are looking for. A word of wisdom though, be sure to have your wits about you when you enter." Renaldo then reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a few banner and handed them to Rico.

"Take this Rico, your first drink will be on me. Thanks again for your help."

Post by Guest »

"The Dockrose Tavern..." Rico thought aloud for a minute. "And which direction do I need to be headin'? Towards the docks I guess." Rico had enough sense to know that when Renaldo was pointing toward the sky he wasn't indicating the way to the tavern.

Rico took the banner from Renaldo and thanked him. He would have received reward enough if Renaldo's advice amounted to anything, but Rico never was one to turn down freely offered coin. "To my first drink this will go towards." He said cheerfully while scratching an itch on his skull with his right hand and using his left to accept the banner.

Before making his way over to the Dockrose Tavern Rico looked over to the boy, smiled quickly at him, and then waved goodbye to the two. Rico was glad that he was finally heading somewhere indoors. He did love to be outside, but standing around wet and cold wasn't a favorite thing of his.

Rico sniffed at the night air and he could smell the rain and the ocean. The salt water was one of his favorite smells. He would take the smell of the ocean over any cooked meal no matter who had prepared it. It brought back the only memories that Rico cared to remember, those of being out at sea under command of the pirate captain. He was daydreaming his way towards the docks. Rico started to dream about how things would be if he was captain. Some day he was going to be a captain of a pirate ship. He knew it. It was something he was destined to be, at least he hoped so.

Rico was brought back to earth when he tripped over a stone in the road. Embarrassed a bit and hoping nobody saw him, Rico quickly got up and walked away swiftly from that spot. He kept his bearings though and stayed to the path which he thought would lead him to the Dockrose Tavern.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemesis
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Nemesis »

It didn't take Rico long to reach his destination. The wind picked up and dropped of a few times which caused loose pieces of trash to dance about the ground on occasion. The rain however picked up from a slight misting to a more steady downpour that drenched everyone and everything around him. Then as suddenly as it started, the rain stopped once more.

Once the rain stopped Rico would be able to see that his destination lied directly in front of him. A few people were huddled outside of it while others went inside. He would also be able to hear the loud voices that were inside as he approached.

Rico your new thread is here... Feel free to continue on there. You can do a post to finish this up if you'd like to do so.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Skilled and archived.

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”