Finding the Open Door, Chyril 23, Late MT

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Finding the Open Door, Chyril 23, Late MT

Post by Felecia Grennarth »

This is the financial and political center of the city. Highton remains within the old city walls of a former age, housing the government buildings that hold the most powerful offices and institutions of World's Mouth. Surrounding this is the Silver District, home of the Merchant Families and many of the institutions that support and control the city's staggering business and trade. Northbridge spans the Upper Scillus River, providing access to the city from all points North.

Felecia stepped out onto the street and inhaled, looking one way then the other and finally turned to her left. Her steps were slow and she studied every building, every person, every thing, head held high, fingers curled around her pouch of coins. A brief wave of warmth in her belly reminded her that she'd need tea soon and she scowled, determining in her mind that as soon as she was properly dressed she'd set about finding some way to break her habit. "If I only had my journal..surely there is something in it.." and she sighed, "I will buy another..and start over.. " she nodded, "Start over."
Last edited by Felecia Grennarth on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Morg

Post by Morg »

(OOC: Could you edit a timestamp into your original post, please? Late MT seems reasonable, I think)

The sky was bright white, but the air outside was heavy and humid, despite being filled with the sounds and smells of prosperity. Lying in the centre of the city as it did, Rhoddam Square was as busy as ever. It was impossible not to catch the babble of many voices.

"Did you hear about Severo Lo Russo? The Home Guard came for him yesterday eveningtide. Locked him up in Caer Doom!"

"He won't stay there long," came a confident reply. "Manacles can't hold a Snake, that's what I always say."

An upcoming event was on many lips. "My husband managed to get me a ticket to that Wild Magic show this evening," a plump, well-dressed woman was boasting. "The Ghearan College mages are performing. I can't wait to see what they'll have conjured up for us!"

There was worry on many faces, too. The reason for this was easy to ascertain. "The Villa Constanza burned down in the night," muttered a voice. "Or rather it was burned down. Can't have been an accident. It'll be the Red Rivers Outrage all over again. Vendetta." This last word seemed to proclaim itself silently from every street corner.

Just off the Square near the Flying Dortman was the largest open market in the city, and possibly the largest in the world. Visible down the street, the broad, open plaza of the Desert Jewel Square was filled with a mass of tents, carts, and pavilions, giving the place an almost festive and carnival atmosphere with its bright, gaudy colors and waving pendants.

In addition to the merchant stalls and wagons, several cafes, fountains, and statues dotted the square, with one long park separating it from the massive Vedicus canal that formed the market's southern barrier. Boats and barges continued to carry more goods and people into the market as quickly as the streets, and the rank smell of the canals could be easily ignored in favor of the pleasant odour of the many open kitchens that served both merchant and shopper.

Loud, demanding hawkers called out their wares to those that might listen, claiming the great quality and fair price of their goods, while numerous musicians were adding their own lively tunes to the cacophony, their songs often clashing with each other to give an almost discordant strain upon the ears.

Of the people, all varieties could be found, from a few merchant adhiel with their arts and wines, dwarves bearing metal works, and countless foreign traders from all over the world. They spoke a wide range of exotic languages and wore unusual clothes of those foreign to the city, all interested in being noticed by a potential buyer. In addition to the merchants were the Levoisairre guards, dressed in blue and maintained to the highest degree. Not far removed from either square were various upmarket shops, such as the tailor Master Antigue, the Blechly and Proud Usury where money could be stored or borrowed in cash or credit form, and the Savanti General Store, as well as the offices of the Union of Labourers and Teamsters in Number 23, Silversmith Street.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia walked slowly, enjoying the humid warmth, feeling alive to feel it seeping into her skin through her clothes. Her clothes. She cringed inwardly and walked toward Master Antigue's first, only after she was dressed properly would she be able to enjoy the day out.

Her ears perked to the name Severo Lo Russo and while her expression didn't indicate intrest, she tried to remember what she was hearing and how it mattered. Nico. Her mind drifted back to him and she curled her hand at her pouch of coins, determined to make good use of them, even though they were not even yet earned. The thought of that made her heart sink a little, wondering what she might be called upon to make good on the coin and that thought led her to the young man that had interupted her bath.

The young healer's head stayed straight on the path before her, but the word "vendetta" caught her ear and she filed away the information about the burned down villa, carefully side stepping people as she slowly made her way toward the shop. She glanced down at herself and cringed inwardly then lifted her head and put her hand to the door, pushing through her own self-consciousness as much as pushing through the entrance.

(OOC: Do I need a new thread for the shop or can we just post the desc in this thread and continue?)
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: you can go ahead and pick a location from this list, post it and tell the person inside what you want :) Welcome back btw!
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Master Antigue, Esq wrote:While the shop could not be seen down the street, or even nearby, it was unmistakable for those passing before it. The front of the small place bore a modest facade to crown the top of the building, but the greatest attraction to it was the immense double casements that held thick panes of very well done glass, allowing those without to see for themselves the majesty of what lay within. And just within the casements stood a wooden fitting stand that wore a dress of such a while that it gleamed in even poor light, the white silk and lace giving it the look of a well formed cloud floating just above the floor.

One could not be disappointed with the interior as well. Racks of dresses, corsets, scarves, veils, hats, stockings, and the billowing, cotton chemise that every local wore under all were lined and stacked all around, inviting one to touch, feel, and imagine. What of the walls and floors could be seen was lined with a dark wood, giving the place an austere yet simple ambience. No counter or workplace could be seen, though a hall and a door lead off further back to the rear of the shop, where fittings must happen.

An older woman, her face creased with age and apparent happiness, smiled down at her work, a careful embroidery that she continued to stab with both careful sincerity and speedy practice.

Felecia's eyes scanned the shop's interior and her face lit up in an almost childlike expression. Her graceful gait was hastened as she quickly moved toward a rack of clothing, her fingers almost reverently brushing over a sleeve, then a skirt, as she rifled through the selections. Her own gown, while very fitting for a place like Panicci's, was just a touch too formed, a shade too sheer, a hint too revealing, and she felt like a huge banner reading "WHORE" hung over her head, but for the moment she was captivated and searching for just the right thing. "Something dark perhaps..a dark gray skirt..lighter pelisse..lavender chemise.." she murmured to herself. Her eyes were drawn to a gown but after a sort of forlorn inspection of the soft fabric she went back to her search, "Perhaps both.." she pondered quietly, idly feeling the weight of the pouch again.

Felecia looked around briefly for a clerk or seamstress, nodding to herself as she thought, "Necessities first...something for every day, then perhaps a gown, a cloak, shoes, stockings..." her mind wandered again, eyes trailing over the displays.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

(OOC: stepping in temporarily to move this along)

The old woman glanced up from her embroidery as if sensing Felicia’s need for attention. “Ah, sorry madam, ah didn’t notice you for a while there. My eyes and ears ain’t what they used to be. I’ll get the master.”

Moving stiffly from her chair, the old woman hobbled through the rear door only to return a few flickers later with an elderly but elegantly dressed man. The demeanour of the man suggested that he was none other than the esteemed owner of the premises, Master Antigue.

“Welcome, Signorina, to my humble establishment! How can I help you?” The old man spoke in friendly, lively voice and beamed a wide smile at his customer.
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia looked up from her musings and smiled at the woman then nodded, "My thanks," she said as she rubbed a sleeve between her finger and thumb, testing the feel of the fabric. She looked over the embroidery the older woman was working on then smiled again at the arrival of Master Antique, sinking into a shallow but graceful curtsy. "Thank you," she said in a gentle tone though her face seemed to light up a bit in response to the shop owner's own enthusiasm, "I am in need of a few necessities and hopefully even some non-necessities.." she murmured.

The young woman straightened and held her head up, "I think I'd do well in a georgette or ninon chemise of some light purplish shade, gray skirt and pelisse, durable but not plain wool..duvetyn perhaps or velvet.." She paused, grinning, cheeks pink, "Not that I've put any thought to it.." Felecia said almost playfully, "I'll need a purse and some slippers or low-heeled shoes..stockings..and if I've coin left, perhaps a day-gown and a more formal one. What is your recommendation?" She caught a glimpse of her own clothes in her vision's periphery and winced inwardly then added, "I'll need perhaps a dark blue chemise as well, to go with the gray.." she murmured, confidence waning for a moment.
Guido Cercatoro

Master Antigue beamed with pleasure as he listened to his customer's list of requirements. “You have come to the perfect place, signorina. I am sure that we can furnish your requirements and give you advice where necessary.”

The old man stroked his chin in thought for a few flickers before nodding to himself. “I believe that we may have some of your requirements in stock.” Antigue glided over to a rack which contained an array of various undergarments and extracted a long, flowing, light purple silky chemise. It was an expensive-looking but beautiful garment.

Within a few flickers, the elegant master had also retrieved a modest but pleasant looking grey skirt and a dark purple, three quarter length pelissse-style coat made of velvet and trimmed with fur.

“Perhaps you would like to try these on for size, whilst I search for the other items you mention?” The Master motioned towards a curtained off area to the side of the shop which clearly acted as a fitting room.
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia stepped behind the curtain, eyes sparkling, a smile on her face to see what he chose for her. She shrugged out of her gown and let it fall to the floor, content to simply leave it there if anything could be fitted before she left, pushing it away with one toe. The girl stepped out and smoothed at the skirt, pleased at the feel of it, the quality, her entire demeanor lifted somehow with this small thing. She tugged at the cuffs and fussed over the pelisse, turning this way and that, eyes keening to Master Antique, "What do you think?" she asked, still moving to look at herself from different angles.
Guido Cercatoro

“Aah, you look magnifico, signorina.” Master Antigue fussed around adjusting Felecia’s garments until they hung to his satisfaction. “It is if they were made especially for you.”

Whilst his client had been trying on her new garments, the dapper shopkeeper had been busy. On the counter was a selection of the other garments and accessories that she had asked for. These included a dark purple pair of low-heeled shoes and a matching purse that would complement the coat; two pairs of stockings and a selection of gowns that ranged from the informal to formal and were in a variety of colours.

“I hope you like my choices here,” beamed Antigue, pushing one hand through his silver-grey hair. “The accessories will accentuate and complement the garments. Please choose which of the gowns suits you best and do say if there is anything else that I can get you. A hat perhaps, or some boots?”

(OOC: feel free to choose any additional gowns to your own design – Antigue has a huge stock of such garments).
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia smiled even more broadly and her hands smoothed down the skirt appreciatively as she looked herself over again. "I've torn the gown I wore here, please see that it's discarded, it is quite beyond repair," and she looked to Antigue, "I shall wear this out..and the stockings, and shoes..and I love the purse..now let me see, gown..."

Her hands traced over skirts and sleeves then her eyes rested on a swath of shimmering velvet the color of midnight. If the light caught it just right, the palest blue seemed to highlight the threads somehow, giving the shape of the garment a life of its own. The neck was scooped low and the bodice fitted, though with no seamed waistline, it was cut vertically giving the eye a continual line from neck to hem. Trailling the behind the gown was a puddle train, its edges ruffled like leaves of lettuce matching the long sweeping sleeves.

"This one..." she murmured, looking at it, drawing it closer to delicately touch a starburst pattern of embroidery, dotted with crystals. Dainty streamers extended from the starburst at the top of the wrist and a matching embelishment made the train of the gown sparkle as well. "Yes, I'll take this one, and this other one for a more casual need." The other was a hunter green cotehardie in a soft cashmere. "Shoes for each and an evening purse, oh and a black greatcloak, duvetyn if you have it, with a hood, matching gloves as well." She thought for a moment then smiled, "And another outfit similar to this one but in another color, I leave it to your discretion."

Satisfied she was content to wait, picking up the purple purse to put her coin in it, discarding the pouch. "I will be back here, I can tell, you have lovely things."

OOC: Feel free to pose us out and end this so I can figure out where to go from here..with the jump ahead. Thanks!
Guido Cercatoro

Master Antigue purred with delight as the true extent of the order he was in receipt of became obvious. He gathered together the various garments that Feliecia had ordered and, for her final request, brought out a beautiful gown of deep maroon with white laced cuffs.

“Well,” beamed the proprietor. “Let me list the items you have asked for to make sure that I haven’t missed anything. We have a light purple, silk chemise; a grey skirt; a dark purple, three quarter length pelissse-style coat made of velvet and trimmed with fur; a dark purple pair of low-heeled shoes and matching purse; two pairs of stockings; a dark gown with flowing train and matching shoes; a hunter green cotehardie with matching shoes; a gown of deep maroon with white laced cuffs; an evening purse; a black cloak with a hood, matching gloves as well.”

“Is this all you require, signorina? If so, I will calculate your bill.”

(OOC: ok we can draw this to a close once you have confirmed your purchases and settled up)
Felecia Grennarth
Courtesan

Felecia simply beamed to look it all over and she nodded, "It's perfect, just perfect." She looked herself over one last time and then tilted her head, "Is there someone who does hair near here?" she asked, idly smoothing at her raven tresses, "I might have this put up a while.." She smiled and waited, opening her pouch of coins to rifle through them, she'd never counted it, had no idea how much it was, only that it had a certain weight to it that made her unconcerned for the tally.

(OOC: Somewhere back there, I think it was..Nico..tossed her a pouch of coins when he dropped her off at the Inn, I don't think he specified an amount only that he'd take care of her needs, as she had to leave all she owned when he took her from Panicci's)
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: you were given 10 crowns I believe)

"That will be 7 crowns, signorina. I have included a discount for such a large purchase. Would you like me to deliver these items for you?" Antigue contined to smile, evidently pleased with the business he had conducted. "I believe that there is a business a little further along this street who will deal with your hair."

(OOC: we can draw this to a close now if you wish)
Guido Cercatoro

Finished I presume. locked for skilling.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled (and inventoried!) :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”